PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Mashed Potatoes!

MTG#10
06-09-2014, 09:06 AM
So how do you guys like your mashed potatoes? Do you have to have gravy on them? If so what kind of gravy do you prefer with what meal?

Do you like the skins left in or do you peel your potatoes first? Do you add anything special to yours that make them stand out or just milk, butter, salt, and pepper? Do you make potato cakes out of your leftovers?

Tell me about it!

WhawhaWhat
06-09-2014, 09:07 AM
No skins, completely smooth and I like turkey gravy the best. Sometimes I get crazy and mix some corn or peas in with the potatoes.

Dayze
06-09-2014, 09:07 AM
I like them whipped.
lots of butter and salt. just enough milk for the consistency i want.

peeled

my mashed potatoes kick ass. I've been asked to bring them over to cookouts, holiday stuff etc.

loochy
06-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Gravy is good, but properly done mashed potatoes are just fine without.

loochy
06-09-2014, 09:08 AM
I particularly enjoy chunky-ish style with skins in it.

KCUnited
06-09-2014, 09:09 AM
Must include crushed garlic.

TimBone

You're a fucking weirdo, Loochy.

Those skins in the potatoes freak me out.

Dayze
Gravy is good, but properly done mashed potatoes are just fine without.

yep. I rarely put any on mine. except for a gravy my dad makes on Thanksgiving (which I'm now in charge of).

TimBone
06-09-2014, 09:11 AM
I like them whipped.
lots of butter and salt. just enough milk for the consistency i want.

peeled

my mashed potatoes kick ass. I've been asked to bring them over to cookouts, holiday stuff etc.

You know, when I showed up here and saw your posting style, I said to myself "That sounds like a man who makes a killer bowl of mashed potatoes." I'm glad I was right about that.

Dayze
06-09-2014, 09:11 AM
You're a ****ing weirdo, Loochy.

the skins are where the AIDS are.

Dayze
06-09-2014, 09:12 AM
You know, when I showed up here and saw your posting style, I said to myself "That sounds like a man who makes a killer bowl of mashed potatoes." I'm glad I was right about that.

I get that alot.

Dayze
06-09-2014, 09:14 AM
and for God's sake, don't over cook the taters. i have a family member who does this; then adds milk. they just turn into this.......I don't even know what. They sure as F don't taste like potatoes.

gblowfish
06-09-2014, 09:14 AM
Got mashed potato
Got mashed potato
Got mashed potato

Aint' Got No T-Bone.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fA6UM0ZM6r4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TLO
06-09-2014, 09:19 AM
You're a ****ing weirdo, Loochy.

Me too. They throw off the consistency.

sd4chiefs
06-09-2014, 09:22 AM
Is it OK to talk about mashed sweet potatoes or do I need to start my own thread about them. :shrug:

loochy
06-09-2014, 09:25 AM
Is it OK to talk about mashed sweet potatoes or do I need to start my own thread about them. :shrug:

Another food thread can't hurt

gblowfish
06-09-2014, 09:27 AM
No skins in mashed. Also, instead of using butter, whip in a little milk and some chicken broth. It tastes better and is better for you.

TLO
06-09-2014, 09:30 AM

May as well fill up the front page with food threads.

TLO
06-09-2014, 09:32 AM
No skins in mashed. Also, instead of using butter, whip in a little milk and some chicken broth. It tastes better and is better for you.

One of my Grandma's does milk and butter. The other does chicken broth and milk. Can't go wrong either way.

frankotank
06-09-2014, 09:33 AM
LOVE me some mashed taters. skin in...skin out....if it's good stuff....it'll be good.

my mom puts a small block of philly cream cheese in hers. she says you can then freeze the leftovers and it won't get freezer burn. while it doesn't jump out at you....you can taste it....and it's pretty righteous.

gblowfish
06-09-2014, 09:36 AM
The fastest way to skin your potatoes for mashed: Take a knife and cut the skin around the circumference of the potato. Boil the potato with the skins on. Get a big bowl of ice water. When the spuds are about done. pull them out one at a time with tongs, drop them in the ice water for about 30 seconds. pull them up, squeeze them over another bowl, and the skins peel right off clean and easy. Dawn Wells from Gilligan's Island taught me that.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/z4W0qIPJmoo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

luv
06-09-2014, 09:38 AM

Agreed.

If the potatoes are whipped/mashed without skins, then I like sausage gravy or cream corn.

Fish
06-09-2014, 09:40 AM
I usually remove half the skins, and leave the other half in. Milk, butter, a little garlic, dash of oregano. Beat that shit like it owes you money.

KCUnited
06-09-2014, 09:41 AM
If whipped, I prefer them topped with a tenderloin or chicken fried chicken.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-09-2014, 09:49 AM
I prefer my mashed potatoes off your ex's ass!/poolboy

Graystoke
06-09-2014, 09:57 AM
I like mine with Bacon Bits

srvy
06-09-2014, 11:28 AM
Get a can of Carnation evaporated milk use it as substitute for the milk. Add your butter salt and whatever ya like. I don't know what it does but it makes mashed potatoes incredible.

I don't like skins in mine nor lumps. The gravy I like is chicken with the bits of the fried stuff. Next would be turkey gravy and beef is right in there. What I don't like is some wisenhymer making a beef gravy with wine I will take that on the side ty.

Fire Me Boy!
06-09-2014, 11:32 AM
I like lumpy mashed sometimes .. But more often than not, I boil skins on and use a food mill for perfect mashed potatoes.

Kansas City Kid
06-09-2014, 11:43 AM
Don't put your dick in the mashed potatoes.

sedated
06-09-2014, 12:18 PM
use a food mill for perfect mashed potatoes.

This. People think I’m crazy when I bust out the food mill rather than just smashing the potatoes, but it makes them smooth and fluffy.

Pepe Silvia
06-09-2014, 12:28 PM
I used to love mashed potatoes until I saw the movie Waiting. I still eat them but its not the same and rarely can I finish them now. :(

LoneWolf
06-09-2014, 12:31 PM
http://ftgdw.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/ermahgerd-mershed-perderders.jpg

Just Passin' By
06-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Skins ruin the presentation so, if that matters to you, don't use them.

The basic needs:

russet potatoes (some use Yukon gold)
butter
cream/half and half/milk
salt and (white) pepper

The optional add ins:
parmesan cheese
garlic
chives

Some people like to go with cream cheese or sour cream, but that's not for me.

I like to place the potatoes back into the pan after they get taken out, just for cook off a bit more of the water. You can steam the potatoes to avoid this issue.

Also, if you don't mind varying consistency, go with the masher. If you want a more uniform texture, you're better off with a ricer than a food mill.

JMO.

Fire Me Boy!
06-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Yukon Gold are far superior to russets, IMO. You need the floury/waxy hybrid for the best texture.

gblowfish
06-09-2014, 01:48 PM
I like lumpy mashed sometimes .. But more often than not, I boil skins on and use a food mill for perfect mashed potatoes.

Food mill is seriously old school, man....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_mill

srvy
06-09-2014, 01:49 PM
Yep Yukon Golds. I dont know whats happened to Russets now. But from a 10lbs bad you waist 5 lbs cutting out the black stuff. I dont know if its a bruise from the way they harvest now or what. But it doesn't look good in the mash and kids will not eat with the dark stuff.

FlaChief58
06-09-2014, 01:51 PM
Making them tonight. Ricotta and parmesan cheese, milk, cilantro, garlic and S & P. I typically use baby red potatoes with or without skin depending on my mood

sedated
06-09-2014, 01:52 PM
and kids will not eat with the dark stuff.

Good. F ‘em. More for me.

sedated
06-09-2014, 01:54 PM
Some people like to go with cream cheese or sour cream, but that's not for me.

A possible substitute for sour cream to lower the fat content is to use greek yogurt.

Also, use evaporated milk but only add 1/4 (or less) of the recommended water to simulate cream with no fat.

But never skimp on butter.

Fire Me Boy!
06-09-2014, 01:56 PM
Food mill is seriously old school, man....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_mill

Yep. Tough to improve on perfection.

srvy
06-09-2014, 02:04 PM
Start with the first finish with the second.

Food Mills and Ricers hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Fire Me Boy!
06-09-2014, 02:08 PM

Keep in mind, you can overwork mashed potatoes so they become gummy. That's why I like mills and ricers.

Dayze
06-09-2014, 02:09 PM
http://ftgdw.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/ermahgerd-mershed-perderders.jpg

that kills me every time I see it. LMAO

Just Passin' By
06-09-2014, 02:09 PM

A ricer gives the consistency some people like, without the gummy texture that a food mill can produce.

Fire Me Boy!
06-09-2014, 02:14 PM
A ricer gives the consistency some people like, without the gummy texture that a food mill can produce.

Food mill doesn't give that texture, in my experience. Whipping in a mixer or food processor is likely to produce that.

sedated
06-09-2014, 02:17 PM

I’ve never had that problem, but I’m pretty careful with my mash.

Is there another use for a ricer than for mashed potatoes? The food mill is more expensive but has multiple uses, unlike the ricer.

srvy
06-09-2014, 02:18 PM
I'm just pulling your chains im sure they work great. But I make due with bare essentials when I can. I cant stand drawers and cubbards filled up with 3-4 items that all basically perform the same task. Sorta like a minimalist.

Fire Me Boy!
06-09-2014, 02:22 PM
I'm just pulling your chains im sure they work great. But I make due with bare essentials when I can. I cant stand drawers and cubbards filled up with 3-4 items that all basically perform the same task. Sorta like a minimalist.

A mill is great for potatoes, applesauce, tomatoes... Can peel and mill all in one.

Just Passin' By
06-09-2014, 02:23 PM

The kitchen's like most places. You can get as specific as all get-out, or you can do just fine with the general tools. Alton Brown's big on getting rid of the one-use items and keeping the multi-taskers. I find that some one-use items make a big difference and some aren't worth the money and/or space.

Fire Me Boy!
06-09-2014, 02:28 PM
The kitchen's like most places. You can get as specific as all get-out, or you can do just fine with the general tools. Alton Brown's big on getting rid of the one-use items and keeping the multi-taskers. I find that some one-use items make a big difference and some aren't worth the money and/or space.

Alton Brown uses a food mill for his mashed potatoes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/creamy-mashed-potatoes-recipe.html

Just Passin' By
06-09-2014, 02:31 PM
I’ve never had that problem, but I’m pretty careful with my mash.

Is there another use for a ricer than for mashed potatoes? The food mill is more expensive but has multiple uses, unlike the ricer.

This is a list of some other uses that I picked up from other places. I haven't tried them:

Run your eggs through for egg salad.
To make crispy hashbrowns, after you grate you raw potatoes, put them in your ricer and squeeze all of the moisture out.
Press liver through to make chopped liver
Make baby food
Mash sweet potatoes for sweet potato pie, pumpkins for pumpkin pie, etc...
Make gnocchi
Run tomato wedges through it for pureed tomatoes.
Press grapes with it
Make spaetzle
Draining water out of tuna cans
Squeeze water out of spinach

ptlyon
06-09-2014, 02:37 PM
This is a list of some other uses that I picked up from other places. I haven't tried them:

Run your eggs through for egg salad.
To make crispy hashbrowns, after you grate you raw potatoes, put them in your ricer and squeeze all of the moisture out.
Press liver through to make chopped liver
Make baby food
Mash sweet potatoes for sweet potato pie, pumpkins for pumpkin pie, etc...
Make gnocchi
Run tomato wedges through it for pureed tomatoes.
Press grapes with it
Make spaetzle
Draining water out of tuna cans
Squeeze water out of spinach

Glad masturbation didn't make the list

Just Passin' By
06-09-2014, 02:38 PM
Glad masturbation didn't make the list

That's what the food mill's for. :thumb:

ptlyon
06-09-2014, 02:39 PM
That's what the food mill's for. :thumb: