View Full Version : Football Who are your top 5 CB's as of now

Iconic
06-10-2014, 03:14 PM
1. Darrelle Revis
2. Sherman
3. Brent Grimes
4. Alterraun Verner
5. Chris Harris Jr.

I know everyone will blast me and say I'm a dirty Donks fan, but that's okay... I'm basing my list off numbers.

RunKC
06-10-2014, 03:17 PM
Sherman
Revis
Peterson
Haden
Verner

Quesadilla Joe
06-10-2014, 03:18 PM
1. Revis
2. Talib
3.Joe Haden
4. Sherman
5. Peterson

Wildcat2005
06-10-2014, 03:19 PM
Brent Grimes and Alturron Verner are not top 5 corners

In no particular order the top 4 are:
Sherman
Revis
Haden
Peterson

You could make a case for Talib or DRC for the last spot among others

ThaVirus
06-10-2014, 03:21 PM
LMAO KnowMo putting Talib at #2.

Quick. Someone ask him his top 5 pass rushers:

1. Von Miller
2. D Ware
3. Philips
4. Wolfe
5. JJ Watt

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2014, 03:23 PM
Sherman
Revis
Peterson
Haden
Verner

This

Pepe Silvia
06-10-2014, 03:24 PM
1. Hakeem Wrongwayo

Quesadilla Joe
06-10-2014, 03:26 PM
Any top 5 list that doesn't include Talib is wrong.

ThaVirus
06-10-2014, 03:30 PM
To answer the OP:

1. Sherman
2. Peterson
3. Haden
4. Revis
5. Grimes

That 5 spot is tough for me. You could probably put a number of guys there, honestly. Verner, Grimes, DRC, Talib. I'd go with Grimes for now. Living in Florida, I'm forced to watch Miami a lot and he had a fantastic year. I actually read that he didn't allow a single TD last season. If true, that's pretty incredible, even given the fact that he plays in a division with shit stain ass WRs.

Also, my top 4 are almost interchangeable depending on scheme.

If you're talking versatility I'd say 1. Peterson 2. Haden 3. Revis 4. Sherman.

Size/athleticism I'd say 1. Peterson 2. Sherman 3. Haden 4. Revis.

Run support I'd probably go 1. Haden 2. Peterson 3. Revis 4. Sherman.

On-the-field IQ 1. Sherman 2. Revis 3. Haden 4. Peterson.

Did anyone read the comments Patrick Peterson made about Richard Sherman, by the way? He said that he considers himself the #1 CB (shocker) and that he doesn't think Sherman's a true lockdown corner. Basically, he said because the Seahawks play mostly cover 3, Sherman isn't often asked to shadow the opponent's best receiver all game. He said Sherman really just covers space, which is pretty true actually.

BigMeatballDave
06-10-2014, 03:31 PM

Die a horrible death.

Titty Meat
Mathias
Bailey
Surtain
Law
Spencer

Sweet Daddy Hate
Sherman is cursed now. CURSED!

Iconic
06-10-2014, 03:32 PM
Brent Grimes and Alturron Verner are not top 5 corners

In no particular order the top 4 are:
Sherman
Revis
Haden
Peterson

You could make a case for Talib or DRC for the last spot among others

Haden and Pete are top 15, but neither made QBs regret throwing at them. Both allowed decent passer ratings. (well Haden's wasn't decent, but it wasn't top corneresque) Talib wouldn't crack my top 30.

Also Grimes was targeted 98 times this year and allowed 0 TD's, with 4 INT's, and 14 pass deflections. He has the highest penalty grade of any corner from PFF in 2013 and he's short but has a 42 inch vertical.

Verner was targeted 79 times allowing only 39 receptions and 2 touchdowns. Meanwhile he got 5 interceptions and 14 pass deflections. He also allowed a 55.8 passer rating.

Just Passin' By
06-10-2014, 03:48 PM
The top 3 seem like locks, with Revis, Sherman and Peterson. After that, it gets a bit iffy, although I'd probably lock Haden in at the #4 spot.

Verner's a better zone corner than man, and doesn't belong on the list.
Talib's a top guy when 100% healthy, but he's not 100% enough to really belong on the list
Matthieu was hell on wheels until he got injured, but he hasn't even shown a full season's worth of work yet.

Others have flaws along those lines. It makes picking #5 almost an exercise in futility.

Iconic
06-10-2014, 03:54 PM
To answer the OP:

1. Sherman
2. Peterson
3. Haden
4. Revis
5. Grimes

That 5 spot is tough for me. You could probably put a number of guys there, honestly. Verner, Grimes, DRC, Talib. I'd go with Grimes for now. Living in Florida, I'm forced to watch Miami a lot and he had a fantastic year. I actually read that he didn't allow a single TD last season. If true, that's pretty incredible, even given the fact that he plays in a division with shit stain ass WRs.

YES, Watching grimes play is like watching a ferret take down a king cobra.
https://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/40452598.gif?1257217324

Did anyone read the comments Patrick Peterson made about Richard Sherman, by the way? He said that he considers himself the #1 CB (shocker) and that he doesn't think Sherman's a true lockdown corner. Basically, he said because the Seahawks play mostly cover 3, Sherman isn't often asked to shadow the opponent's best receiver all game. He said Sherman really just covers space, which is pretty true actually.

Lol @ Peterson. He couldn't cover space nearly as good as Sherman does it, and he can't cover receivers nearly as good as Revis. :rolleyes:

Iconic
06-10-2014, 04:06 PM
Verner's a better zone corner than man, and doesn't belong on the list.
Talib's a top guy when 100% healthy, but he's not 100% enough to really belong on the list
Matthieu was hell on wheels until he got injured, but he hasn't even shown a full season's worth of work yet.

Verner held his own in both, I got no numbers on Talib but he wasn't one of PFF's top 40 this year, and I have guys with 400-500 snaps on that list so that wasn't the issue.

Wildcat2005
06-10-2014, 04:08 PM
Haden and Pete are top 15, but neither made QBs regret throwing at them. Both allowed decent passer ratings. (well Haden's wasn't decent, but it wasn't top corneresque) Talib wouldn't crack my top 30.

Also Grimes was targeted 98 times this year and allowed 0 TD's, with 4 INT's, and 14 pass deflections. He has the highest penalty grade of any corner from PFF in 2013 and he's short but has a 42 inch vertical.

Verner was targeted 79 times allowing only 39 receptions and 2 touchdowns. Meanwhile he got 5 interceptions and 14 pass deflections. He also allowed a 55.8 passer rating.

Talib is not a top 30?
That is retarded

Peterson, Talib, and Haden all match up on the other team's best WR
Sherman does not do that

Verner didn't either

You have to take into account their role and what they are asked to do before comparing stats

If you don't think Peterson and Haden are top 5 you are not paying attention

Pasta Little Brioni
06-10-2014, 04:10 PM
Talib and Chris Harris ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Pasta Little Brioni
06-10-2014, 04:12 PM

Fuck you homer Talib the gimp top 5 ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL

Iconic
06-10-2014, 04:27 PM
Talib is not a top 30?
That is retarded

Peterson, Talib, and Haden all match up on the other team's best WR
Sherman does not do that

Verner didn't either

You have to take into account their role and what they are asked to do before comparing stats

If you don't think Peterson and Haden are top 5 you are not paying attention

McBride's a lot better than all 3 in man coverage, there's a lot of factors to consider.

Just Passin' By
06-10-2014, 04:32 PM
Verner held his own in both, I got no numbers on Talib but he wasn't one of PFF's top 40 this year, and I have guys with 400-500 snaps on that list so that wasn't the issue.

PFF doesn't mean shit beyond raw number counting, and it's flawed even there (they used to admit to an error percentage with both raw data and formulae, but they scrubbed that page years ago). That should be accepted as common knowledge.

Talib, before he tweaked his hip last year, was absolutely a top CB in the league, and he was doing that as a CB taking the opponent's best all over the field. His problems this year will be what they always are: focus and health.

Verner is not a top guy. That's why he didn't get a top deal. Grimes, Davis, Shields, Talib, Sherman, Revis, Haden... They all got $8m+ AAV, while Verner didn't crack $6.5m. Most of those players also got better overall guarantees, better guarantees per year and better guarantee percentages. There's a reason for that beyond Verner being a sucker.

Chief_For_Life58
06-10-2014, 04:33 PM
Dylan. Dylan. Dylan.Dylan. Dylan

Iconic
06-10-2014, 04:55 PM
PFF doesn't mean shit beyond raw number counting, and it's flawed even there (they used to admit to an error percentage with both raw data and formulae, but they scrubbed that page years ago). That should be accepted as common knowledge.

Talib, before he tweaked his hip last year, was absolutely a top CB in the league, and he was doing that as a CB taking the opponent's best all over the field. His problems this year will be what they always are: focus and health.

Verner is not a top guy. That's why he didn't get a top deal. Grimes, Davis, Shields, Talib, Sherman, Revis, Haden... They all got $8m+ AAV, while Verner didn't crack $6.5m. Most of those players also got better overall guarantees, better guarantees per year and better guarantee percentages. There's a reason for that beyond Verner being a sucker.

Watch moneyball, Verner is underpayed. 2 TDs, 5 INTs and 14 deflections.

Just Passin' By
06-10-2014, 04:56 PM
Watch moneyball, Verner is underpayed. 2 TDs, 5 INTs and 14 deflections.

That's the stupidest thing you've written in this thread, and you've written a lot of stupid things in this thread. You don't determine overall talent by a year's numbers. Deltha O'Neal once had a season with 20 passes defensed and 10 INTs.

Iconic
06-10-2014, 04:59 PM
That's the stupidest thing you've written in this thread, and you've written a lot of stupid things in this thread.

Cool.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-10-2014, 05:06 PM
Start a top 5 corner thread and include that piece of shit Chris Harris Jr.....definitely not on the list.

staylor26
06-10-2014, 05:07 PM
1. Sherman
2. Peterson
3. Revis
4. Haden
5. Talib (when healthy)

HM: Grimes, Jennings, Verner

Just Passin' By
06-10-2014, 05:17 PM
Cool.

It's nothing personal, but JFC. Taking numbers out of context is just about useless. Kyle Arrington once had a 7 INT season.

jspchief
06-10-2014, 05:43 PM
I dunno, the games I saw Talib in last year, he was very good.

Just Passin' By
06-10-2014, 05:47 PM
I dunno, the games I saw Talib in last year, he was very good.

Yes. Here's an article from before his injury (it's Bleacher report, but I'm pulling it for names and numbers, not comprehensive analysis):

Through five games, Talib has been targeted 28 times. He has only given up 11 catches, giving quarterbacks a 39 percent completion rate when throwing his direction. He's given up only one touchdown—to Robert Woods in Week 1—and has racked up four interceptions.

Those gaudy statistics have come against some of the best receivers in the league. Stevie Johnson, Santonio Holmes, Vincent Jackson, Julio Jones and A.J. Green have all seen more of the Patriots' No. 31 jersey than they would have liked to.

Green—arguably the best receiver in the NFL—has had the most success against Talib out of anybody this year. Even so, he was held to four catches and 58 yards—pedestrian numbers for Green.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1803526-aqib-talib-passes-another-landmark-on-road-to-shutdown-corner-status

The Patriots then put him on Graham when they played the Saints, and Talib shut him out.

planetdoc
06-10-2014, 05:51 PM
PFF: The Art of Tracking and the NFL’s Best Cornerbacks (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/06/10/the-art-of-tracking-and-the-nfls-best-cornerbacks/)
(highlights...link has some nice gifs)
In truth, there is no way to measure how difficult it is for a corner to shadow a receiver and what effect that has in statistical terms on his performance....The bottom line is that it’s an unmeasurable factor in all of this corner and coverage evaluation. We will never know how much little things like feeling comfortable and the muscle memory of certain positions aids in a corner’s performance.

Richard Sherman and Darrelle Revis are the two best corners in the game today.

GloryDayz
06-10-2014, 05:53 PM
I know this could open a can of worms with all the truckers on CP, but I'm told this guy is tops...

http://www.mds975.co.uk/Images/cb_radio/midland_alan_48_excel_multi.jpg

58-4ever
06-10-2014, 06:00 PM
Sherman
Peterson
Haden
Talib
Grimes

ThaVirus
06-10-2014, 06:13 PM
PFF: The Art of Tracking and the NFL’s Best Cornerbacks (https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/06/10/the-art-of-tracking-and-the-nfls-best-cornerbacks/)
(highlights...link has some nice gifs)

That was a great write-up.

Patrick Peterson only allows a 9.9 passer rating while he's at LCB LMAO That is crazy.. But for all the talk about him being a guy that can shadow a receiver anywhere on the field, it appears he's not as great at it as claimed.

In his defense, he is 6'1" 220 pounds. Must be tough playing the slot being that size.

xztop123
06-10-2014, 06:34 PM
[QUOTE=ThaVirus;10682523]To answer the OP:

1. Sherman
2. Peterson
3. Haden
4. Revis
5. Grimes

this but I think Peterson is the best all around CB in the nfl

xztop123
06-10-2014, 06:36 PM
To answer the OP:

1. Sherman
2. Peterson
3. Haden
4. Revis
5. Grimes

Also, my top 4 are almost interchangeable depending on scheme.

If you're talking versatility I'd say 1. Peterson 2. Haden 3. Revis 4. Sherman.

Size/athleticism I'd say 1. Peterson 2. Sherman 3. Haden 4. Revis.

Run support I'd probably go 1. Haden 2. Peterson 3. Revis 4. Sherman.

On-the-field IQ 1. Sherman 2. Revis 3. Haden 4. Peterson.

which is also why we NEED TO INSTALL THIS FU**NG DEFENSE