PDA

View Full Version : Life I think a seatbelt saved my son's life today.

DTLB58
06-10-2014, 11:50 PM
So I got a call @ 5:12 this morning from son saying that he was in a really bad accident. He was on his way to work and a U.S. Postal big truck ran a red light and he collided with it. My son (Josh) hit it right in the rear wheel it spun Josh's '97 Dodge Ram around 180 and totally took the front end and put it almost all the way into his dash.
The postal truck, missing a mud flap. The thing is built like a tank! It's a big box, straight truck.
Postal driver was issued a citation for running the red light. Luckily there were two witnesses that hung around and told police Josh had a solid green and saw Postal truck going thru intersection on the red.

The air bag deployed but never touched him, he said, cause he braced at the last second and extended his arms on the steering wheel and was pushing back. But when he was stopped and trying to get out he said the seatbelt was so tight on him he had to pull to find slack and then click it to get it loose. It did it's job. We were told when the air bag deploys there is a sensor that tightens the seat belt? Anybody know anything on this?

Anyways, I'm pretty sure the way his front end looked and as tight as that belt was it was a life safer or at the minimum prevented serious injury. I'm glad that's one thing he listened to me about. He is 21, but still stubborn at times :)

I took him to the E.R. and had him all checked out just to make sure, other than a few scraps and aches. He seems to be okay. :thumb:

Thanks for listening.

Rain Man
06-10-2014, 11:56 PM
That's good news embedded within bad news.

Seat belts really work. You move the odds notably in your favor by using them.

06-11-2014, 12:31 AM
Glad to hear he is OK. I feel the same about seatbelts. When we had our minivan rollover the only injury to me and my two boys was a scratch on my eyeball from flying glass. We were very fortunate just as your son was.

TimBone
06-11-2014, 12:41 AM
Damn..glad he's alright, bud. I don't always wear my seat belt. I should probably change that.

Perineum Ripper
06-11-2014, 12:53 AM
Glad to hear he is ok..sounds like a lucky kid..take him to buy a lottery ticket or 2

LiveSteam
06-11-2014, 12:56 AM
Yup, no if &s or buts. seat belts save lives. Glad your son is ok

Why Not?
06-11-2014, 01:15 AM
Damn..glad he's alright, bud. I don't always wear my seat belt. I should probably change that.

Only if you love anyone or anyone loves you. Otherwise, keep blowing it off. Good news on your kid, OP.

R8RFAN
06-11-2014, 03:43 AM
Jesus saved his life man...

Praise the Lord, glad your kid is safe.

Msmith
06-11-2014, 04:06 AM
Life is precious and sometime we do not appreciate enough of it. Glad your son is okay.

InChiefsHeaven
06-11-2014, 06:11 AM
Had a similar thing happen with my son years ago, only the accident was his fault. (17 years old, had a friend in the car, he took crossed an unlit intersection and got hit, didn't judge it well). Both he and the passenger were wearing seat belts, as was the drive of the other car. Car was totaled but everyone was for the most part OK.

Glad your son listened. It seems rare that they do that...

God Bless.

Bwana
06-11-2014, 06:16 AM
I'm glad he is ok. A truck can easily be replaced a person not so much. I'm glad he was smart enough to wear it.

Old Dog
06-11-2014, 07:12 AM
Glad he's OK.

Dayze
06-11-2014, 07:37 AM
Good to hear. Seatbelts and helmets. it's a must for me.

BigRedChief
06-11-2014, 07:37 AM
I never wore a seat belt until after I worked in the ER for a week. No one gets in my car without putting on a seat belt.

Dayze
06-11-2014, 07:44 AM
thankfully, since it was a requirement in California and my Naval Air Station, I got into the habbit very early. now I do it and don't even realize it.

Predarat
06-11-2014, 07:51 AM
hate that happened but glad he is OK.

Chief Roundup
06-11-2014, 07:52 AM
Glad your son is ok. I am sure it scared the crap out of him. Seat belts definitely save lives as an overall rule.
Did your son hit the back half of that truck?

Marcellus
06-11-2014, 07:59 AM
Good deal. I am amazed there are still people who don't wear a seat belt.

I guy I work with tore up his shoulder in a very minor accident because he wasn't wearing a seat belt and when I asked him if he was going to wear one now he said probably not. WTF is wrong with people?

scho63
06-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Great story with happy ending.

I've always worn a seat belt and my current girlfriend does not and it really pisses me off. I think I will share this story with her.....

ThaVirus
06-11-2014, 08:10 AM
I never wear my seatbelt.

Good news about your son.

kepp
06-11-2014, 08:13 AM
Wow...glad he's OK

mlyonsd
06-11-2014, 08:25 AM
hate that happened but glad he is OK.

This

BlackHelicopters
06-11-2014, 08:41 AM
Glad he is OK.

Lzen
06-11-2014, 08:50 AM
Good to hear. Seatbelts and helmets. it's a must for me.

Definitely this. And it's not because I don't drive well. It's because of all of the idiots out there on the road. I'm also more careful about watching cross traffic at intersections when I'm on the bike.

Both of my boys had accidents that totaled their cars when they were new drivers. Yes, both accidents were my sons' fault - ugghh, what is it with kids these days? Both of them and their passengers were wearing seat belts and nobody was hurt. Thank God.

Good to hear that your son come through unscathed, DTLB. Hopefully, that postal truck driver at the very least gets reprimanded by the postal service. Guys that drive big trucks like that really need to be the absolute best drivers.

GloryDayz
06-11-2014, 08:51 AM
I'm glad your some is OK and that you (and the wife/GF) make them wear them. I'm NOT perfect, but my son is always the first to remind me that HE won the race for safety... I'm I'm glad to both let him win and know he's thinking about it.

So I'm sorry about the car, but giddy that your son is OK..

Rep for you Sir...

Lzen
06-11-2014, 08:53 AM
thankfully, since it was a requirement in California and my Naval Air Station, I got into the habbit very early. now I do it and don't even realize it.

I didn't when I was young. Then I had a close call (again, because of some idiot - turning left in front of me) when my first son was a baby. I figured for his sake I would start wearing one. Didn't want the kid to grow up without a father.

alnorth
06-11-2014, 08:53 AM
But when he was stopped and trying to get out he said the seatbelt was so tight on him he had to pull to find slack and then click it to get it loose. It did it's job. We were told when the air bag deploys there is a sensor that tightens the seat belt? Anybody know anything on this?

Yep, I was saved by a seat belt once. I can verify that at least on my car it was tight as hell when I was trying to get out.

ThaVirus
06-11-2014, 08:56 AM
I think some car's seat belts tighten if you slam on the brakes hard enough.

cmh6476
06-11-2014, 09:53 AM
there is an engaging mechanism on seat belts, and when they are discharged they do tighten and the belts then have to be replaced. So to answer your question I think it is yes, they do tighten during accidents.

Just Passin' By
06-11-2014, 10:48 AM
I'm glad that your son is ok.

Pitt Gorilla
06-11-2014, 10:56 AM
Good deal. I am amazed there are still people who don't wear a seat belt.

I guy I work with tore up his shoulder in a very minor accident because he wasn't wearing a seat belt and when I asked him if he was going to wear one now he said probably not. WTF is wrong with people?It's like freedom, man.

Halfcan
06-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Best wishes to you and your family.

MIAdragon
06-11-2014, 12:51 PM
That's good news embedded within bad news.

Seat belts really work. You move the odds notably in your favor by using them.

Its rather odd that many simply can't be bothered to put it on.

King_Chief_Fan
06-11-2014, 02:29 PM
Anyways, I'm pretty sure the way his front end looked and as tight as that belt was it was a life safer or at the minimum prevented serious injury. I'm glad that's one thing he listened to me about. He is 21, but still stubborn at times :)

I took him to the E.R. and had him all checked out just to make sure, other than a few scraps and aches. He seems to be okay. :thumb:

Thanks for listening.
that is a happy ending!!

TLO
06-11-2014, 02:33 PM
Glad he was ok, and glad he had his seatbelt on!