PDA

View Full Version : Life -- Tamales, Chili, Spaghetti, Chili-Mac, spaghetti red, soups etc.... Greasy Spoon

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 08:09 PM
Some of the best greasy spoon, plated food I've had was this Fred and Red's spaghetti red.

I really enjoyed the raw nostalgia of this place. Who can top the plate of spaghetti red, WHOLE white onion slices, and standard no frills pickle pile?

Then these yellow, orange and white cheese powder toppings.

I remember the first time I went I could hardly wait to eat/try this stuff and It really delivered - I think in my life I only made it there 3 total times, but I'm pretty sure those three plates took about 11 days off of life span.

But yeah,

The plates were perfect for that colder weather in Joplin in Winter months.
I am pretty sure I never tried their tamales - did any of you all ever go w/ the tamale plate? If so how were they? Did Fred & Red's offer any desserts? Seems they had some cream pies and maybe ice-cream - though I can't say for sure.

How about other spots offering something similar - great Chili, spaghetti red, or the sort - even tamales?? Love to hear of other places.

I never tried Skyline Chili out in Ohio.

I'd be interested in any place that hit you in a nostalgic way and created a memory of delicious, greasy food? Especially interested in other places, I've never heard of.

I'm even okay with hearing of spots that offer Raviolis or Sloppy Joe's...

There are no real rules here, also, If you can provide links or pics of spots that are similar to F&R's that'd certainly be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

Discuss Thrower
06-12-2014, 08:18 PM
Some of the best greasy spoon, plated food I've had was this Fred and Red's spaghetti red.

I really enjoyed the raw nostalgia of this place. Who can top the plate of spaghetti red, WHOLE white onion slices, and standard no frills pickle pile?

Then these yellow, orange and white cheese powder toppings.

I remember the first time I went I could hardly wait to eat/try this stuff and It really delivered - I think in my life I only made it there 3 total times, but I'm pretty sure those three plates took about 11 days off of life span.

But yeah,

The plates were perfect for that colder weather in Joplin in Winter months.
I am pretty sure I never tried their tamales - did any of you all ever go w/ the tamale plate? If so how were they? Did Fred & Red's offer any desserts? Seems they had some cream pies and maybe ice-cream - though I can't say for sure.

How about other spots offering something similar - great Chili, spaghetti red, or the sort - even tamales?? Love to hear of other places.

I never tried Skyline Chili out in Ohio.

I'd be interested in any place that hit you in a nostalgic way and created a memory of delicious, greasy food? Especially interested in other places, I've never heard of.

I'm even okay with hearing of spots that offer Raviolis or Sloppy Joe's...

There are no real rules here, also, If you can provide links or pics of spots that are similar to F&R's that'd certainly be appreciated.

Thanks guys.

1) Find "We Love Fred and Reds" on Facebook. In their documents section there's a knock off recipe that people swear by. I've failed twice making it.

2) In Joplin, Stogey's has a spaghetti red plate that is close to F&Rs but not quite there taste wise. It's less spicy and almost a bit sweet but that can be overridden by some pepper or hot sauce.

3) Springfieldians love Casper's but their chili has beans by default. Fuck that shit.

4) Skyline / Cincinnati chili has chocolate and/or cinnamon in it. Fuck that noise.

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 08:19 PM
http://i.imgur.com/p0aMxBc.jpg

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 08:23 PM
So F&R's is gone huh Jtown, seem to recall you telling me that.

So is Whisler still in Carthage at least?

Anyone ever used to go to Ford's cafe is Lee's Scummit?

Discuss Thrower
06-12-2014, 08:30 PM
So F&R's is gone huh Jtown, seem to recall you telling me that.

So is Whisler still in Carthage at least?

Anyone ever used to go to Ford's cafe is Lee's Scummit?

Yep, F&R's has been toast going on two years now.

Never heard of either of those two places.

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 08:38 PM
Yep, F&R's has been toast going on two years now.

Never heard of either of those two places.

Whisler's Hamburgers?

here it is (http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/293/1454984/restaurant/Whislers-Old-Fashioned-Hamburgers-Springfield)

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 08:40 PM
The original is in Carthage.

Frosty
06-12-2014, 08:40 PM
Loved me some Chili-Mac when I was in the army. It was one of the few things that was consistently palatable.

I would never actually buy it in a restaurant, though.

Bugeater
06-12-2014, 08:48 PM
I was all pumped up for Fred & Red's when I was in Carthage last fall and was disappointed to learn they were closed. However, the drive-in theater is apparently still open.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/30xa0bc.jpg

Pasta Little Brioni
06-12-2014, 08:50 PM
Take notes deberg

Fire Me Boy!
06-12-2014, 08:50 PM
Skyline is truly disgusting.

Memphis has a local favorite: BBQ spaghetti. It's surprisingly tasty, as well as BBQ bologna sandwich (tastes nothing like bologna and is now one of my regional favorites).

gblowfish
06-12-2014, 09:09 PM
I was all pumped up for Fred & Red's when I was in Carthage last fall and was disappointed to learn they were closed. However, the drive-in theater is apparently still open.

Nice Jeep, I've got one just like it, but it's blue. Fred & Red (it's in Joplin, not Carthage) escaped the tornado by about three or four blocks, but the owners wanted to retire and wanted a SHIT TON of money for the chili recipe. Nobody was willing to pay it, so they just closed up. Shame, it was one of America's classic greasy spoons.

Here in KC, I'd recommend Town Topic, Dixon's Chili, Dagwoods, Cascone Grill.

srvy
06-12-2014, 09:15 PM
http://www.dixonschili.com/menu/

Love me Dixons Chilli with beans but haven't had in while. This needs to end.

They have a Chilli over spaghetti I have not had but looks good.

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 09:18 PM
Skyline is truly disgusting.

Memphis has a local favorite: BBQ spaghetti. It's surprisingly tasty, as well as BBQ bologna sandwich (tastes nothing like bologna and is now one of my regional favorites).

I agree on Skyline.

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 09:20 PM
http://www.dixonschili.com/menu/

Love me Dixons Chilli with beans but haven't had in while. This needs to end.

They have a Chilli over spaghetti I have not had but looks good.

:clap:

This is what I was looking for - I remember Dixon's slightly. Yes - Ty for that link - looks good. How long have they been there?

eDave
06-12-2014, 09:21 PM
In Maryville, back in 84-89, there were two places:

A breakfast place that was open when the bars closed. Hole in the wall place with the owner as cook. You could challenge him to a coin toss. If you won, your meal was free. Lose and you payed double. Great greasy, post party grub.

Just outside of town, on the way to KC, there was a small truckstop/shop/diner. Best B&G's I have ever had.

More recently, at the LA flower market, latino's would set up outside with fresh, homemade tomales for like $2. Nostaligic because I loved going down and spending all night buying inventory, buying a homeless guy McDonalds, or a couple of tomales, to load my truck. Enjoyed the downtown LA vibe.

gblowfish
06-12-2014, 09:24 PM
:clap:

This is what I was looking for - I remember Dixon's slightly. Yes - Ty for that link - looks good. How long have they been there?

Dixon's has been in business in KC since 1919. There's one just north of Arrowhead at US 40 Highway and Blue Ridge Cutoff.

HonestChieffan
06-12-2014, 09:25 PM
I buy tamales in Ft worth. A years supply at a time. I have yet to find a decent tamale north of ft worth.

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 09:26 PM
Dixon's has been in business in KC since 1919. There's one just north of Arrowhead at US 40 Highway and Blue Ridge Cutoff.

Yes.

You know I've never been there, that I recall.

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 09:28 PM
I buy tamales in Ft worth. A years supply at a time. I have yet to find a decent tamale north of ft worth.

do you just stew them? how do you bring them back to life? Crock-pot or just simmer them or what? Also - I assume they're frozen in a sauce, do you have a link that shows the offerings from this place? I'm curious.

gblowfish
06-12-2014, 09:28 PM
Well, if you like chili and tamales, you must make a pilgrimage. It was Harry Truman's favorite place.

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 09:30 PM

yeah it sucks - did you ever try Whisler's hamburgers in Carthage by chance?

also - how long has that drive-in been there? Do they serve food there? if so how is it? - I don't remember ever seeing it - and I went to Carthage often as a child. TICKLE HILL!!

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 09:31 PM
Well, if you like chili and tamales, you must make a pilgrimage. It was Harry Truman's favorite place.

You can bet your ass next time I'm in KC I'm going! Thanks for the info.

I'll be surprised if it's as good as Fred and Red's was.

srvy
06-12-2014, 09:34 PM
You know im not sure in this location 40 highway has been long time. Dixons started in the early 1900's. My Dad worked for TWA and Mom for lawyers in the Commerce Tower Downtown KC. Dad would pick us up after school and head Downtown and pick mom up and we would eat at Dixons Chilli. I remember we would see Walt Bodine. Bill Grigsby and numerous old Chiefs in that place.

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 09:36 PM
You know im not sure in this location 40 highway has been long time. Dixons started in the early 1900's. My Dad worked for TWA and Mom for lawyers in the Commerce Tower Downtown KC. Dad would pick us up after school and head Downtown and pick mom up and we would eat at Dixons Chilli. I remember we would see Walt Bodine. Bill Grigsby and numerous old Chiefs in that place.

actually my dad was buddies w/ Grigsby. ha ha

eDave
06-12-2014, 09:36 PM

Fellow TWA brat here. Did the whole Saudi Arabia thing. There was some grub. Cut the beef right off the spit, flies and all, into a bun. $5 Riyals.

Dad was a Mechanic, then Inspector, then an Instructor. Miss the free flights.

cdcox
06-12-2014, 09:37 PM
Trader Joe's has passable tamales.

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 09:40 PM
FMB!

Please explain BBQ spaghetti.

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 09:40 PM
Trader Joe's has passable tamales.

this is good information - now are these frozen or canned?

cdcox
06-12-2014, 09:44 PM
this is good information - now are these frozen or canned?

Frozen. Come with husks.

Bugeater
06-12-2014, 09:49 PM
Nice Jeep, I've got one just like it, but it's blue. Fred & Red (it's in Joplin, not Carthage) escaped the tornado by about three or four blocks, but the owners wanted to retire and wanted a SHIT TON of money for the chili recipe. Nobody was willing to pay it, so they just closed up. Shame, it was one of America's classic greasy spoons.

Here in KC, I'd recommend Town Topic, Dixon's Chili, Dagwoods, Cascone Grill.
Ah, got the towns confused. :doh!:

yeah it sucks - did you ever try Whisler's hamburgers in Carthage by chance?

also - how long has that drive-in been there? Do they serve food there? if so how is it? - I don't remember ever seeing it - and I went to Carthage often as a child. TICKLE HILL!!
Nah, I knew there was someplace in Carthage you had raved about, I was thinking it was Fred & Reds. As far as the drive-in, hell I'm not from the area so I have no idea but I'm assuming it's pretty old. Looked to be well maintained though from what I could see of the outside. Very cool drive along Route 66 down that way.

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 09:59 PM
Ah, got the towns confused. :doh!:

Nah, I knew there was someplace in Carthage you had raved about, I was thinking it was Fred & Reds. As far as the drive-in, hell I'm not from the area so I have no idea but I'm assuming it's pretty old. Looked to be well maintained though from what I could see of the outside. Very cool drive along Route 66 down that way.

It was both Fred & Red's and Whisler's - both of the chicken houses in Pittsburg KS - Honestly I'm surprised Whisler's never gets much airplay from CP. Surprised more people don't know about it. It's really decent little burgers - they're small but tasty.

srvy
06-12-2014, 10:03 PM
Fellow TWA brat here. Did the whole Saudi Arabia thing. There was some grub. Cut the beef right off the spit, flies and all, into a bun. $5 Riyals.

Dad was a Mechanic, then Inspector, then an Instructor. Miss the free flights.

They probably knew each other. Dad was a Mechanic then Inspector. He Charles E. Taylor Master Mechanic Award recipient.

After he retired he was one of the original group to go to Mesa, Az to rescue the Constellation and restore it.

Bugeater
06-12-2014, 10:10 PM
It was both Fred & Red's and Whisler's - both of the chicken houses in Pittsburg KS - Honestly I'm surprised Whisler's never gets much airplay from CP. Surprised more people don't know about it. It's really decent little burgers - they're small but tasty.
I'll look that one up when I'm back down this fall. :thumb:

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 10:12 PM
I'll look that one up when I'm back down this fall. :thumb:

I didn't even realize it was you until just now - ok. sorry Bug.

But yeah - Whisler's is good.

HonestChieffan
06-12-2014, 10:17 PM
do you just stew them? how do you bring them back to life? Crock-pot or just simmer them or what? Also - I assume they're frozen in a sauce, do you have a link that shows the offerings from this place? I'm curious.

Ill getvthe info. They come from a tiny mexican bakery across thexstreet from a great mexican resturaunt called Joes. We have them package in dozens. We thaw them then steam them and usually have them with chilli. Awesome good. Pm me if I forget

Got it. esperanzas. Its across street from Joe T's. Best tamales Ive ever had.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-12-2014, 10:20 PM
You created a monster

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 10:23 PM
You created a monster

I will end it at my real time Shoney's visit thread - and then we'll cool it.

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 11:05 PM
can any of you please explain what exactly bbq spaghetti is?

Pasta Little Brioni
06-12-2014, 11:08 PM
I will end it at my real time Shoney's visit thread - and then we'll cool it.

It's the imitators man. Horrible ideas and bad thread presentation. They can't even fire off a silver standard topic.

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 11:11 PM
It's the imitators man. Horrible ideas and bad thread presentation. They can't even fire off a silver standard topic.

Deberg is just having fun, let him play - we'll get serious tomorrow - it'll take a gem though, my mojo has been somewhat disturbed.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Deberg is just having fun, let him play - we'll get serious tomorrow - it'll take a gem though, my mojo has been somewhat disturbed.

Limiting pizza thread to the sauce hurt and a wall o text. These barbarians like simple discussion of staples...Also skip is watching. :)

Simply Red
06-12-2014, 11:19 PM
Limiting pizza thread to the sauce hurt and a wall o text. These barbarians like simple discussion of staples...Also skip is watching. :)

it had to be a specific component of the pizza pie - we simply have had too many generic pizza threads.

eDave
06-13-2014, 12:48 AM
They probably knew each other. Dad was a Mechanic then Inspector. He Charles E. Taylor Master Mechanic Award recipient.

After he retired he was one of the original group to go to Mesa, Az to rescue the Constellation and restore it.

Yup. My dad knew all those guys.

Randallflagg
06-13-2014, 01:42 AM
Allright...here we go...

Steak and Shake chili 5 ways. I realize that this is crazy, but I love it.

Fire Me Boy!
06-13-2014, 07:24 AM
FMB!

Please explain BBQ spaghetti.

It's cooked spaghetti (the pasta, not the dish), topped with diced smoked pork and barbecue sauce. It's all over the Memphis area, and surprisingly tasty.

DMAC
06-13-2014, 07:29 AM
Springfield used to have Bill & Ruth's. I miss that place.

Simply Red
06-13-2014, 07:36 AM
Allright...here we go...

Steak and Shake chili 5 ways. I realize that this is crazy, but I love it.

nope it's good - although I've only had their standard chili mac.

BigChiefFan
06-13-2014, 07:41 AM
We call 'em "three ways" or "four ways" here. Spaghetti, chili, and cheese. Add onion for a 4 way. I like to put Sour Cream on top of mine. Good stuff.

Simply Red
06-13-2014, 07:43 AM
We call 'em "three ways" or "four ways" here. Spaghetti, chili, and cheese. Add onion for a 4 way. I like to put Sour Cream on top of mine. Good stuff.

would you mind dropping some links? I'm interested in this theme - are there any spots aside from shitty Skyline that you'd recommend? & I apologize in advance if you like Skyline - but to me it's not that appealing.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-13-2014, 07:53 AM
You should totally change name to Spaghetti Red!

Simply Red
06-13-2014, 08:18 AM
You should totally change name to Spaghetti Red!

they did that already.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-13-2014, 08:19 AM
they did that already.

Don't remember that

Hammock Parties
06-13-2014, 08:23 AM
There are so many more good things to eat. Don't know why anyone would waste calories on this gutbomb. Disgusting.

Simply Red
06-13-2014, 08:27 AM
There are so many more good things to eat. Don't know why anyone would waste calories on this gutbomb. Disgusting.

shut up and eat your God damned Chili mac.

Great Expectations
06-13-2014, 08:35 AM
Fat Mama's Tamalez in Natchez, MS are outstanding. They also have a good selction of beer, and their world famous knock you naked margaritas. They also help out a local hunting guide whose slogan is "Your land, your coons, my dogs."

https://www.fatmamastamales.com/

I have a decent knock off Fred-n-Reds recipie. SR, if I can find it I'll PM it to you, it is surprisingly simple.

Simply Red
06-13-2014, 08:43 AM
Fat Mama's Tamalez in Natchez, MS are outstanding. They also have a good selction of beer, and their world famous knock you naked margaritas. They also help out a local hunting guide whose slogan is "Your land, your coons, my dogs."

https://www.fatmamastamales.com/

I have a decent knock off Fred-n-Reds recipie. SR, if I can find it I'll PM it to you, it is surprisingly simple.

The one I made myself REALLY came close.

Hammock Parties
06-13-2014, 08:54 AM
shut up and eat your God damned Chili mac.

http://i.imgur.com/damgwF7.gif

Simply Red
06-13-2014, 08:59 AM
http://i.imgur.com/damgwF7.gif

http://i.imgur.com/vm79EHb.gif

Hammock Parties
06-13-2014, 09:10 AM
http://i.imgur.com/vm79EHb.gif

http://i.imgur.com/d1BKRAF.gif

Simply Red
06-13-2014, 09:23 AM
http://i.imgur.com/d1BKRAF.gif

http://i.imgur.com/6fZNk0s.gif

Hammock Parties
06-13-2014, 09:24 AM
http://i.imgur.com/6fZNk0s.gif

http://i.imgur.com/ZvgZF6G.gif

ptlyon
06-13-2014, 11:26 AM
WTF IS GOING ON IN HERE?!?

I didn't think so.

Later.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-13-2014, 02:06 PM
Fitting

loochy
06-13-2014, 02:52 PM

Where do you buy them at? If you name somewhere close, I might have to swing by after work tonight. :thumb:

Randallflagg
06-13-2014, 09:15 PM
nope it's good - although I've only had their standard chili mac.

I started on their Chili 5 ways back in the 70s. Been chowing down on it ever since. Hell, I was overseas for 3 years (early 80s) and had friends send me cans of the chili, cooked up some spaghetti, poured the chili over that, added cheese and onions and a dollop of chili sauce and BINGO!

Steak and Shake Chili 5 ways.

Doesn't take much to make me happy!