PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 2, Heat 41

Rain Man
06-13-2014, 05:41 PM
You know the rules. Vote for your FAVORITE scene from these three:

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/b_wnD6jxREU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NMWdnkSMPGM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/jpMxpzfSRUA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rasputin
06-13-2014, 05:43 PM
I recon I'm first again.

Rasputin
06-13-2014, 05:44 PM
I went Dodgeball before RM goes with Pulp Fiction

Rain Man
06-13-2014, 05:45 PM
This is a surprisingly close heat for me, at least with the first two. My votes:

#1 - Pulp Fiction. This scene makes me laugh, particularly Stoltz's "I'm curious" line. This is a very underrated scene from that movie.

#2 - Field of Dreams. I watch every scene in every heat, and I must admit, this is very close to unseating Pulp as the #1. It's a scene that elicits a heartfelt smile and happiness. I wouldn't mind if it won the heat.

#3 - Dodgeball. It's not a bad scene, but it's the clear runt in this heat.

Rain Man
06-13-2014, 05:46 PM
I went Dodgeball before RM goes with Pulp Fiction

You know me well. But you probably don't know how close my decision was.

Predarat
06-13-2014, 07:04 PM
Damn this one was not easy, had to go with Field Of Dreams. Pulp Fiction was awesome too.

Infidel Goat
06-14-2014, 02:29 PM
Bumping because it's a close heat with not many votes.

BlackHelicopters
06-14-2014, 05:11 PM
Pulp Fiction

Rain Man
06-15-2014, 01:51 PM
Tough heat. Pulp Fiction moves on, but Field of Dreams has an outside shot at a wildcard.

KChiefs1
06-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Tie?

Old Dog
06-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Field of Dreams

Infidel Goat
06-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Tough heat. Pulp Fiction moves on, but Field of Dreams has an outside shot at a wildcard.

What is the protocol for wildcards?

Percentage of vote or total number of votes? Or perhaps a combination of the two?

I'd lean toward total number of votes because those heats that have a lot of votes usually do so because the movies being voted on are the most compelling. It also gives teams in tough three way battles a chance that they otherwise would not have...

Rain Man
06-15-2014, 08:42 PM
What is the protocol for wildcards?

Percentage of vote or total number of votes? Or perhaps a combination of the two?

I'd lean toward total number of votes because those heats that have a lot of votes usually do so because the movies being voted on are the most compelling. It also gives teams in tough three way battles a chance that they otherwise would not have...

I've made it the highest percentages that didn't win the heat, though as I've been watching it, that's not the ideal way. The ideal way to do it would be to award the wild card to the scenes that had the narrowest loss. By giving it to the highest percentage, I inadvertently penalize wild card candidates from heats with three strong scenes.

But it's easier to sell that approach to upper management, so I'll be consistent and keep doing it.

cosmo20002
06-15-2014, 09:11 PM
I've made it the highest percentages that didn't win the heat, though as I've been watching it, that's not the ideal way. The ideal way to do it would be to award the wild card to the scenes that had the narrowest loss. By giving it to the highest percentage, I inadvertently penalize wild card candidates from heats with three strong scenes.

But it's easier to sell that approach to upper management, so I'll be consistent and keep doing it.

Should go with highest vote total(s) that didn't win.

Rain Man
06-15-2014, 09:54 PM
Should go with highest vote total(s) that didn't win.

The problem with that is that we get more votes on weekday threads than on weekend threads, and we probably get more votes if I put a heat up in the morning than in the evening. I can't let my actions as pollmaster interfere with the results.

Infidel Goat
06-15-2014, 10:17 PM
I'm fine with whatever Rain Main decides, but I'll offer one other possibility to him:

If you want eight wild cards, you could take the eight non-winners with the highest percentage AND the eight non-winners with the highest vote total--and put them in one wild card run off heat. Let people vote for as many or as few of those entries as they wish--and then take the entries with the highest eight vote totals from that heat. I'm guessing you'd get a nice mix of each.

It's an extra round of voting, but it sounds fun.

OmahaChief
06-16-2014, 07:23 AM
My love of baseball rules over my love of Tarantino movies this time.