PDA

View Full Version : Life -- Please share some of your favorite Seafood restaurants & what you procure there.

Simply Red
06-13-2014, 08:24 PM
I like The Back Porch in Destin, Fl. I enjoyed their blackened Grouper.

http://www.theback-porch.com/destin/index.php

I REALLY enjoyed the deep-fried lobster tail w/ peanut sauce at the Grove Park Inn in Asheville, NC. (although this may've been their nightly special 'non menu' item, not for sure on that)

http://www.groveparkinn.com/dining-overview

I remember eating some fine fine hickory smoked prawns (larger shrimp) w/ brown-butter drizzle at the restaurant in Asheville, Boathouse Restaurant on Lake Julian.

No link - I think they moved to SC.

also I remember several places near Panama City Beach Fl that were great - but I'm wanting to keep this short and sweet.

I'm curious - Where have YOU eaten excellent seafood? What do you order there?

Please drop links, etc... etc.... - Interested in anything seafood - fried/broiled/blackened or raw on an iced tray.

Let's hear of your spots, either historically or currently or maybe you only go there once per year.....

notorious
06-13-2014, 08:25 PM
LJS pic coming soon.

Simply Red
06-13-2014, 08:26 PM
Also - if you could - include if you do or don't enjoy tartar + cocktail sauce. Do you squeeze lemons over the main course....

Who had or has great cocktail sauce and tartar? - do you like spicing up the cocktail w/ extra horserad?

Stuff like that.

lewdog
06-13-2014, 08:26 PM
SKIPPERS

KCUnited
06-13-2014, 08:29 PM
Lutfi's fried fish KC, talapia w/ tarter. Could also be included in the KC Late Night Eats thread.

Simply Red
06-13-2014, 08:29 PM
SKIPPERS

please link me or post a pic. if you could - i'm interested in seeing or hearing more..

Simply Red
06-13-2014, 08:30 PM
Lutfi's fried fish KC, talapia w/ tarter. Could also be included in the KC Late Night Eats thread.

are you ok w/ Farm-raised catfish? I like it every so often - rarely do I seek it out - but w/ a nice tartar - the farm raised are really a nice crispy fillet of mild fish.

ILChief
06-13-2014, 08:31 PM
Dewey destin

Prison Bitch
06-13-2014, 08:34 PM
Bristol, bristol, bristol. I've never had a meal there that wasn't outstanding, probably 15x going. Incidentally, the group that owns them spends the largest gross amount on their food purchases (buying quality). I know this from a person who supplies food to the entire KC Metro. Said "they buy quality and they're not afraid to pay for it." They're the bomb.

BigRichard
06-13-2014, 08:36 PM
Peyton Manning

Cannibal
06-13-2014, 08:37 PM
http://www.scomas-sf.com/

Best seafood I've ever had the pleasure to eat.

lewdog
please link me or post a pic. if you could - i'm interested in seeing or hearing more..

SKIPPERS!

http://skippersvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/skippersvancouver.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wFNW-nCAdsI/TLfGHK39MxI/AAAAAAAABTM/r7MoPoa3Vt8/s1600/Photo10121211.jpg

http://skippersvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/fishchowderbasket.jpg

KCUnited
are you ok w/ Farm-raised catfish? I like it every so often - rarely do I seek it out - but w/ a nice tartar - the farm raised are really a nice crispy fillet of mild fish.

I do like the occasional fried catfish. Friday at the Flea Market is a good one. Oddly enough, Arun Thai Place (RIP) had a fantastic fried catfish.

Pablo
06-13-2014, 08:39 PM
I like to attend a fish fry every now and again and shove as much crappie down my throat as humanly possible. Other than that, it's LJS 4 LYFE.

Oh, and as for the tartar/cocktail sauce debacle; I'm firmly a tartar sauce guy because I don't enjoy most things ketchup, but if I go the cocktail route I like it incredibly heavy on the horseradish.

I loves me some horseradish.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-13-2014, 08:46 PM
I usually stick to making a shrimp Alfredo or seasoned baked cod at home.

Simply Red
06-13-2014, 08:47 PM
SKIPPERS!

http://skippersvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/skippersvancouver.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wFNW-nCAdsI/TLfGHK39MxI/AAAAAAAABTM/r7MoPoa3Vt8/s1600/Photo10121211.jpg

http://skippersvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/fishchowderbasket.jpg

Now you're talking!

GloucesterChief
06-13-2014, 08:53 PM
If the seafood restaurant is more than a hundred miles from the Ocean, the odds of it sucking go up exponentially.

Eamonn's in Alexandria, VA was pretty good last time I went.

Now, here in Houston J & J Seafood Market and Tom's Seafood are really good.

As for cocktail vs. tartar? Neither. Fresh squeezed lemon juice.

keg in kc
06-13-2014, 09:15 PM
Steam my own salmon. Frozen of course.

Pinnacle of fine dining that I am.

Cannibal
06-13-2014, 09:18 PM
If the seafood restaurant is more than a hundred miles from the Ocean, the odds of it sucking go up exponentially.
Eamonn's in Alexandria, VA was pretty good last time I went.

Now, here in Houston J & J Seafood Market and Tom's Seafood are really good.

As for cocktail vs. tartar? Neither. Fresh squeezed lemon juice.

This...

Simply Red
06-13-2014, 10:00 PM
that was my last food thread - I hope you all enjoyed.

Bugeater
06-13-2014, 10:03 PM
I actually prefer lake fish over seafood. Although that could be because all the seafood in the midwest is crap.

BucEyedPea
06-13-2014, 10:03 PM
Pretty much. I'm from New England, grew up not far from the ocean. So pretty much anywhere the seafood is always good-from Cape Cod to Maine. Key is fresh and the fresher the better.

Here's one in Boston right on the waterfront's fish pier, where the fish comes in--really, really fresh seafood. It''s called the No Name Restaurant.

http://www.nonamerestaurant.com/

Awesome fried claims --complete with whole bellies. Love lots of tartar sauce with or without lemon first. Never cocktail sauce--that's southern and for shrimp cocktail! You'll get a lot of seafood here for your dollar than at other more expensive places.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hxjNhPY_wAg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Best Lobster in Maine picked up at a local fish market that day on any waterfront and boiled. Nothing beats that. You can smell the brine of the ocean when you eat it when it's that fresh. Steamers (anywhere) and mussels. Used to pick the mussels right off the rocks and boil them in wine and herbs.

I just like my lobster just plain with a touch of salt, maybe a little lemon because I don't like to hide the taste. Same with steamed clams--no butter I want to taste the clam. On swordfish, halibut, haddock, scallops I that is broiled I like just lemon and butter with or without any garlic. Also like different herbs and flavors from different recipes. Just tartar sauce on anything fried. Stuffed clams or quahogs and or an Italian clam or quahog sauce on pasta. Chowder I don't eat a lot of because it's fattening.

Salmon, in season, I like with lemon and a creamy dill sauce. Or various recipes like dijon mustard, garlic, onion and dill -- Asian sauces.

BucEyedPea
06-13-2014, 10:04 PM
I actually prefer lake fish over seafood. Although that could be because all the seafood in the midwest is crap.

It is crap. The clams never have bellies on them. I can't believe they have the nerve to do that.

I don't care for southern seafood that much either. I like cold water seafood. Although I have taken a liking to grouper but it's still not the same as New England. And they use cocktail sauce for fried fish.

Though there is Frenchy's Care on Clearwater Beach that has good grouper and amazing Conch Fritters with a Bahamian sauce that is out of this world. Very casual.

Although, I have taken a liking to shrimp and grits that I had in NC and Georgia. That's new for me though.

Bearcat
06-13-2014, 10:25 PM
Kincaid's (http://www.kincaids.com/), Redondo Beach, CA (apparently, it's a chain)... everything.

Spencer Makenzie's in Ventura, CA.... fish tacos.

Twisted (http://www.twistedfresh.com/) in Shawnee has some really good fish tacos.

The Gordon Ramsey restaurant in Versailles, France has amazing swordfish.

Miles
06-13-2014, 10:36 PM
Many places in New Orleans.

Why Not?
06-13-2014, 10:36 PM
I agree with the further away from the ocean, the worse it is principle. I'm from Hawaii so I'm a seafood snob. If it wasn't swimming a hour ago, pass. So as far as seafood places I have somewhat acces to living in AZ....? Pt. Loma Seafoods in San Diego. Shrimp 'sammich. It's real good. Anything from there is awesome. Glad I'm currently in San Diego and ate there today!

Just Passin' By
06-13-2014, 10:39 PM
When it comes to seafood, my favorites have always been mom-and-pop places. Unfortunately, those usually have a shelf life, as people age or just move on to other things. Being in New England, I'm lucky enough that I'm usually able to find pretty good replacements, but it's getting tougher as the years go by around here.

Slightly OT, though involving seafood:

I made mussels in garlic and oil tonight. Yummy. :thumb:

Strongside
06-13-2014, 10:42 PM
Anton's taproom in Crossroads has some amazing seafood. They raise their own Tilapia there and control what the fish eat, which makes for a healthy meal that's as fresh as you can get in these parts. The tilapia tacos are the best I've had.

Deberg_1990
06-13-2014, 10:46 PM
Red Lobster biscuits
Posted via Mobile Device

Easy 6
06-13-2014, 11:11 PM
Not a restaurant, but a great start to one, and they purvey in every help they can... prawns the size of small lobsters, halibut from Alaska... just be ready to pay, shit doesn't ship to middle America for free.

http://www.robertsseafoodmarket.com/

Randallflagg
06-13-2014, 11:35 PM
I was in San Diego a while back and had dinner at Anthony's fish Grotto on the bay. Fresh seafood, cooked great and taste even better.

http://www.gofishanthonys.com

Jiu Jitsu Jon
06-14-2014, 01:32 AM
Where is Thig Lyfe?

Fire Me Boy!
06-14-2014, 06:28 AM
that was my last food thread - I hope you all enjoyed.

No, you still owe me a cooking equipment thread. :harumph:

Fire Me Boy!
06-14-2014, 06:34 AM
Well, I had a lengthy post of places in Alabama, Tennessee, NC, SC, and Hawaii, and I accidentally hit the back button and erased my post.

So fuck it.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-14-2014, 07:01 AM
Where is Thig Lyfe?

Sitting in a padded room drawing a million LJS platters

Simply Red
06-14-2014, 07:29 AM
Well, I had a lengthy post of places in Alabama, Tennessee, NC, SC, and Hawaii, and I accidentally hit the back button and erased my post.

So **** it.

There's that one chain - It's at the beginning of Broadway on the Beach in MB,SC - That place was decent - I don't recall it's name.

Simply Red
06-14-2014, 07:36 AM
Tempura-Fried Tilapia
With tempura-fried portabello mushrooms and asparagus, served with bleu cheese coleslaw, malt vinegar and tartar sauce

Pasta Little Brioni
06-14-2014, 07:36 AM
CP is lukewarm about seafood

Stewie
06-14-2014, 07:38 AM
I'll second Bristol as an outstanding seafood restaurant. I ate there just last week.

Bonefish Grill is good, too, even though it's a chain. The last time I was there I ordered Pepper Crusted Tuna and it was fantastic.

Simply Red
06-14-2014, 08:17 AM
CP is lukewarm about seafood

Just about 3 grams of trans fat shy of drawing interest.

http://i.imgur.com/7WZ9j0g.jpg

Simply Red
06-14-2014, 08:18 AM
I'll second Bristol as an outstanding seafood restaurant. I ate there just last week.

Bonefish Grill is good, too, even though it's a chain. The last time I was there I ordered Pepper Crusted Tuna and it was fantastic.

do you like Sole?

Simply Red
06-14-2014, 08:20 AM

Yeah Bonefish is solid, not a damn thing wrong w/ it - their shrimp (bang bang?) on their app/starters section is their claim to fame - It really is good, no question about it. It was a nice signature for them. But yeah, solid.

Stewie
06-14-2014, 08:23 AM
do you like Sole?

I don't think I've ever eaten it. Is it like tuna?

Simply Red
06-14-2014, 08:30 AM
I don't think I've ever eaten it. Is it like tuna?

Not really at all - more of a slender fillet - it's pretty mild. Very good flakey fish, no question. I definitely recommend it.

I keep hearing Bristol this-Bristol 'that' - assuming they're referring to that older Gilbert Robinson chain, the fillet of sole there used to be really solid. They put a very light batter over it and flat topped it w/ oil.

Seems the batter was a thinned out pancake style batter. Very good - slightly sweet. Worked out well - and when I worked at The Bristol in 1991 on the plaza; when we ran that special - it sold like hotcakes. Real good fish there.

splatbass
06-14-2014, 09:09 AM
Kincaid's in Honolulu. Fish fresh right out of the ocean that morning. They have a seared ahi (rare) rolled in furikaki that is delicious. But all of their fish is great.

There are a lot of good seafood restaurants in Honolulu, too many to count. Nico's at Pier 38 is another one. They get their fish straight from the fish market at Pier 38, it doesn't get any fresher than that. There are a bunch of great poke (Hawaiian style seasoned raw fish) restaurants all over the state. You can get a fresh poke bowl (I like the spicy ahi poke on top of brown rice and furikaki). Even supermarkets sell poke bowls that are fresh and awesome and make a great healthy lunch.

I think I'll have a spicy ahi poke bowl for lunch today.....

I also like Emeril's New Orleans Seafood in Las Vegas. The BBQ Atlantic salmon is great, and their gumbo is awesome.

I don't eat deep fried fish.

Fire Me Boy!
06-14-2014, 09:41 AM
Kincaid's in Honolulu. Fish fresh right out of the ocean that morning. They have a seared ahi (rare) rolled in furikaki that is delicious. But all of their fish is great.

There are a lot of good seafood restaurants in Honolulu, too many to count. Nico's at Pier 38 is another one. They get their fish straight from the fish market at Pier 38, it doesn't get any fresher than that. There are a bunch of great poke (Hawaiian style seasoned raw fish) restaurants all over the state. You can get a fresh poke bowl (I like the spicy ahi poke on top of brown rice and furikaki). Even supermarkets sell poke bowls that are fresh and awesome and make a great healthy lunch.

I think I'll have a spicy ahi poke bowl for lunch today.....

I also like Emeril's New Orleans Seafood in Las Vegas. The BBQ Atlantic salmon is great, and their gumbo is awesome.

I don't eat deep fried fish.

The two I mentioned in Hawaii before I accidentally erased it was Nico's and Uncle's right across the parking lot. Good stuff.

But the best meal I had in Hawaii was at one of the food trucks up on the north shore.

Stewie
06-14-2014, 10:11 AM
Not really at all - more of a slender fillet - it's pretty mild. Very good flakey fish, no question. I definitely recommend it.

I keep hearing Bristol this-Bristol 'that' - assuming they're referring to that older Gilbert Robinson chain, the fillet of sole there used to be really solid. They put a very light batter over it and flat topped it w/ oil.

Seems the batter was a thinned out pancake style batter. Very good - slightly sweet. Worked out well - and when I worked at The Bristol in 1991 on the plaza; when we ran that special - it sold like hotcakes. Real good fish there.

I think the Bristol on the Plaza closed at the same time GR left the restaurant biz. I'm not sure who reopened the new Bristol(s) but they may have had some connection to the old restaurants.

What did you do at the Plaza restaurant? That was always my first choice back when it was open. Loved the food and the atmosphere.