PDA

View Full Version : Life Define great Father

bogey
06-15-2014, 09:14 AM
Are you, or do you have a great Father? Define a great father.

Prison Bitch
06-15-2014, 09:17 AM
I once saw a sign on my uncles wall that said "the best thing a father can do for his children is to love their mother". That's been true in most families I've seen in my life so ill go with that.

Scorp
06-15-2014, 09:17 AM
These days if your kid doesnt become a serial killer or a meth head you have done a pretty good job.

LoneWolf
06-15-2014, 09:22 AM
My father is a great man. He not only tried to teach me things with words, but he has also taught me many things by being an example of the kind of person I strive to be. He has always been encouraging in whatever I was trying to accomplish, but he will also let me know when he thinks I'm making a bad decision or just acting like a dumbass.

I'm 41 years old and there still isn't a week that goes by where I'm faced with a situation that I ask myself "what would Dad do." To me that is what makes a father great.

FlaChief58
06-15-2014, 09:23 AM
A great Dad is one who takes interest in their kids lives and does what he can to prepare them for adulthood. I'm thankful that my Dad taught me so much. R.I.P Dad

milkman
06-15-2014, 09:24 AM
Ward Cleaver.

Why Not?
06-15-2014, 09:41 AM
Me. According to my kids. When I buy them shit.

hometeam
06-15-2014, 09:42 AM
My dad wasnt.

I just try not to be him. Hell, its pretty easy, I just dont abandon my kid.

bogey
06-15-2014, 10:09 AM
I wasn't a good father. I am a recovering alcoholic. I was a "functional" alcoholic for most of my daughters life. I thought I was a good father. I was home every night after work, I read and sang to her every other night at bedtime, we played Barbies, I built her an awesome playhouse in our back yard and played with her, I built her a great swing set and played with her. At some point, for some reason, I checked out. She's 16 now and is very, very mad at me, so is my wife. I hid my drinking from them. I'll probably lose my wife (that drama is still unfolding), I hope I haven't lost my daughter. I deserve every bit of bullshit that I'm going through right now. Within the last year (I've been sober since 7/9/13), I've really learned how much I fucked up their lives. If you think you might be an alcoholic, take a very close look at yourself and your surroundings. If you want to fuck up your life because you think the party won't be as much fun, that's one thing. But don't fuck up other peoples lives, know what I mean?

Canofbier
06-15-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm as close to my dad now as I've ever been, despite living hundreds of miles away. We used to argue a lot when I was younger, but I don't think I really appreciated the sacrifices he made for me and my brothers until recently.

He used to work around 100 hours a week when my older brother and I were little, and we had full-time babysitters since my mom worked full time as well. Naturally, we didn't see much of either one, especially him. He would often leave for the hospital before we woke up and he would arrive home after we went to bed. When he was off work, he was often too tired to do much.

He told me a couple of years ago about how he would see our backpacks from school piled onto his chair at the kitchen table - that's how he knew that we never expected him to be around. It completely broke my heart to hear that, and I vow not to make the same mistake when I have kids.

Dad has better work conditions now and Mom doesn't work anymore, so my little brother (who is still only 12) has been able to spend a lot more time with my parents than I ever did. I notice that my dad makes time almost every day to play with him and shuttle him around, even when he's exhausted. It makes me happy to see it, and I hope that one day my little brother will understand how lucky he is to have a dad like ours.

Canofbier
06-15-2014, 10:25 AM
I wasn't a good father. I am a recovering alcoholic. I was a "functional" alcoholic for most of my daughters life. I thought I was a good father. I was home every night after work, I read and sang to her every other night at bedtime, we played Barbies, I built her an awesome playhouse in our back yard and played with her, I built her a great swing set and played with her. At some point, for some reason, I checked out. She's 16 now and is very, very mad at me, so is my wife. I hid my drinking from them. I'll probably lose my wife (that drama is still unfolding), I hope I haven't lost my daughter. I deserve every bit of bullshit that I'm going through right now. Within the last year (I've been sober since 7/9/13), I've really learned how much I ****ed up their lives. If you think you might be an alcoholic, take a very close look at yourself and your surroundings. If you want to **** up your life because you think the party won't be as much fun, that's one thing. But don't **** up other peoples lives, know what I mean?

Good on you for making an effort to turn things around. It might take a while, but it's never too late to be a positive influence on your kid.

mdchiefsfan
06-15-2014, 10:27 AM
I wasn't a good father. I am a recovering alcoholic. I was a "functional" alcoholic for most of my daughters life. I thought I was a good father. I was home every night after work, I read and sang to her every other night at bedtime, we played Barbies, I built her an awesome playhouse in our back yard and played with her, I built her a great swing set and played with her. At some point, for some reason, I checked out. She's 16 now and is very, very mad at me, so is my wife. I hid my drinking from them. I'll probably lose my wife (that drama is still unfolding), I hope I haven't lost my daughter. I deserve every bit of bullshit that I'm going through right now. Within the last year (I've been sober since 7/9/13), I've really learned how much I ****ed up their lives. If you think you might be an alcoholic, take a very close look at yourself and your surroundings. If you want to **** up your life because you think the party won't be as much fun, that's one thing. But don't **** up other peoples lives, know what I mean?

Jesus, man. That is rough. Best of luck. Sometimes a kick in the nuts is what is needed to make us better people. At least you understand where you went wrong, and with some work you may be able to save your relationship with your daughter. I hope you stay off the sauce, and life rewards you for making the right choice.

mdchiefsfan
06-15-2014, 10:35 AM
I'm not technically their step-dad, but I just try to be a good role model for my girlfriend's kids. Their father really isn't in the picture much, and I can tell they are dying to have a role model in their lives. Whenever they stay at my place the kids are in my lap, asking me questions and I am more than happy to provide them some of the guidance I never received from my father.

I am a kid at heart so I enjoy playing with them and rough housing, but they know I am consistent and firm with the rules. I think that is the key to a great father: consistency.

We will see the men they grow up to be, and that will be what tells me if my approach was right. It's scary that is the only way to know if you did it right, isn't it?

Rausch
06-15-2014, 10:45 AM
Probably my grandfather.

The look of disappointment on his face was worse than any beating or any discipline I could be given.

If you believed it you lived that way. There was no grey. All my life I never saw the man waiver...

srvy
06-15-2014, 10:49 AM
I lost my Dad in 2006 he was 86. Not a day goes by that I dont think of him. You take for granted the little things. Something breaks in the house a problem with the car. Advice on a home repair or remodel. I would give a call dad would give several possibilities and remedies. Id hang up say dad im gonna try those. And about 15 minutes Dad was knocking on the door ready to lend a hand. Now all I can do is try to remember what Dad would have done. He came from a day and age where if you wanted something you made it if it broke you fixed it or did without. He was the ultimate handyman with a can do spirit.

If I can be half the MAN and FATHER he was then im doing ok.

BWillie
06-15-2014, 10:51 AM
I be a good father by wrapping that rascal and never having a child. Youre welcome

ROYC75
06-15-2014, 11:06 AM

There is hope, it is good that you have realized the problem and accepting it. Making good on those promises will bring a wonderful life back to you.

Best of luck of luck to you!

Hammock Parties
06-15-2014, 12:32 PM
Reliable, dependable and teaches his kids the value of hard work.

Kids today are far too coddled and spoiled. Creates shit human beings with a sense of entitlement.