PDA

View Full Version : Life -- Where have you experienced a good Pork Tenderloin sandwich?

Simply Red
06-15-2014, 10:01 PM
These seem to be somewhat exclusive to Missouri - I've never seen them in another state (though there are some out there, I'm sure.)

We used to live near Betty's Fried Chicken and go there quite a bit, I think they're still good - but have since changed owners and may not be QUITE the same - it's there on 40 hwy. in Blue Springs.

KC United has mentioned the Texas Toms Pork Tenderloin sandwich, and seemed to like. I had Texas Toms many times as a child - I'm not sure I ever got the Pork sandwich.

Are there any other places that you all have tried and liked?

I'm coming back home maybe within six mos. or so and would like to plow one.

Suggestions?

Stories?

Spots?

Please share

Luke
06-15-2014, 10:10 PM
The old Betty's on hiway 40 would be hard to beat. Been many years since I was there, glad to hear it is still there, even if it isn't the same. As I recall the onion rings were as good as the samich.

Simply Red
06-15-2014, 10:12 PM
The old Betty's on hiway 40 would be hard to beat. Been many years since I was there, glad to hear it is still there, even if it isn't the same. As I recall the onion rings were as good as the samich.

indeed - they had damned good burgers too - quietly.

By the way are you from Blue Springs?

TambaBerry
06-15-2014, 10:14 PM
Kobis bar in Bonner springs has a really good one.

sportsman1
06-15-2014, 10:14 PM
PT's in Oak Grove is the best by far. There is a place in San Antone that had one but other than that I have never seen them outside of Missouri!

Simply Red
06-15-2014, 10:18 PM
PT's in Oak Grove is the best by far. There is a place in San Antone that had one but other than that I have never seen them outside of Missouri!

oh my. That place looks interesting - Google image PT's in Oak Grove.

http://i.imgur.com/eloSdOQ.jpg

Simply Red
06-15-2014, 10:18 PM

dude PT's looks VERY solid.

sportsman1
06-15-2014, 10:19 PM
If you haven't been you gotta go. Onion rings are some of the best you'll ever have as well!

Mojo Jojo
06-15-2014, 10:21 PM
Big Bams in Shawnee. There use to be a place in Mission called Whopper Burger...they had the biggest crispiest juicy pork tenderloin.

Simply Red
06-15-2014, 10:21 PM
If you haven't been you gotta go. Onion rings are some of the best you'll ever have as well!

how long have they been there?

cdcox
06-15-2014, 10:24 PM
I remember Dairy Queen pork tenderloin sandwiches as being good, but I now have my doubts. I make a pretty decent one now.

Simply Red
06-15-2014, 10:31 PM
I remember Dairy Queen pork tenderloin sandwiches as being good, but I now have my doubts. I make a pretty decent one now.

little off topic - but...

Do you all have farmer's markets in KC or just the city market?

I have been buying a simple seasoned-salt at ours. The beautiful thing about it is - it's very tasty - unlike the Lawry's label - the local salts have more seasoning than salt in them. So you can used liberally.

Great stuff for the kitchen!

loochy
06-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Dude, no love for Hi Boy? Cmon man.

http://www.hiboydrivein.com/Logo_GIF.gif

cdcox
06-15-2014, 10:54 PM

I have been buying a simple seasoned-salt at ours. The beautiful thing about it is - it's very tasty - unlike the Lawry's label - the local salts have more seasoning than salt in them. So you can used liberally.

I'm not in KC so I don't know. Des Moines (where my SIL lives) has a very nice FM.

jonzie04
06-15-2014, 10:58 PM
Grumpys right off 40 on 240 between Columbia and Fayette has the best I've ever had. They also run a dairy farm I believe.

suzzer99
06-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Westport Flea Market is pretty good.

Does anyone else remember Sanderson's on Main? They had an awesome pork tenderloin sandwich. It was as big as the plate it came on.

Bewbies
06-15-2014, 11:07 PM
Smitty's in Des Moines is good. My favorites were always found by vendors at the Iowa State Fair.

srvy
06-15-2014, 11:15 PM
Westport Flea Market is pretty good.

Does anyone else remember Sanderson's on Main? They had an awesome pork tenderloin sandwich. It was as big as the plate it came on.

Yes TY I was trying to think of that one. You got full before you got to the bun. That place was great.

Baby Lee
06-15-2014, 11:32 PM
Paul's Drive In, 470 and Blue Ridge Blvd

Pitt Gorilla
06-15-2014, 11:33 PM
Heidelberg in Columbia had excellent tenderloins.

Simply Red
06-15-2014, 11:37 PM
http://i.imgur.com/9Q3pDyy.jpg (http://imgur.com/9Q3pDyy)

Simply Red
06-15-2014, 11:38 PM
Paul's Drive In, 470 and Blue Ridge Blvd

how are Paul's burgers?

cdcox
06-15-2014, 11:40 PM

Site of my first date with Mrs Seedy.

Simply Red
06-15-2014, 11:43 PM

http://i.imgur.com/Ej4W09q.jpg

Baby Lee
06-16-2014, 12:02 AM
how are Paul's burgers?

Only had the Tenderloin. That special on the marquee has been around forever, and Mom would pick them up on MANY Mondays way back when.

Bugeater
06-16-2014, 12:13 AM
Where did you get this silly notion that they're only a Missouri thing? You can get one anywhere.

Lex Luthor
06-16-2014, 05:03 AM
how are Paul's burgers?

They are the best burgers in town. Very similar to the burgers at Hi Boy.

I've never tried their Tenderloin because the burgers are so good.

Nzoner
06-16-2014, 05:10 AM
Over the years we've had some great ones in St. Joseph but the best I ever had was at a little place here called Bottoms Up.Unfortunately the big chains eventually forced them to close and what was really sad is when the paper ran an article they were closing they sold over 6,000 tenderloins in a month.

If I want a good one now I like the one at 54th Street Grill and Bar

Fire Me Boy!
06-16-2014, 05:17 AM
Never had one outside my home.

RedandGold
06-16-2014, 05:27 AM
The Tater Patch in Rolla, MO. The pork tenderloin sandwich there is the best that I've had by a fair margin. The tenderloin itself takes up roughly half the plate, and it's done right.

Big R's in Joplin, MO also has a good one.

Simply Red
06-16-2014, 06:19 AM
The Tater Patch in Rolla, MO. The pork tenderloin sandwich there is the best that I've had by a fair margin. The tenderloin itself takes up roughly half the plate, and it's done right.

Big R's in Joplin, MO also has a good one.

I bet Endelt Brian took many of drunken whale girls there - back in the day.

Dartgod
06-16-2014, 06:37 AM
Main Street Inn in Grandview used to have a pretty good one. It's been a few years since I've been there though.

Also, Town Topic made their own and were pretty high quality. Again, it's been years since I've had one.

EDIT: I see now that the Main Street Inn has closed. I wonder what happened to them? They were always very busy when i went there.

SAUTO
06-16-2014, 06:47 AM
newmans country mart

KCUnited
06-16-2014, 06:53 AM
Kitty's on 31st & Charlotte in KC.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/a-sandwich-a-day-pork-loin-at-kittys-cafe-kansas-city.html

Simply Red
06-16-2014, 07:17 AM
EDIT: I see now that the Main Street Inn has closed. I wonder what happened to them? They were always very busy when i went there.

You know - I've noticed that with some places that seemed busy and always were good. Why do they just close shop - So much must be getting in debt w/ liquor and food purchases. Mismanaging money. Poor financial discipline etc..

Simply Red
06-16-2014, 07:18 AM

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/12/a-sandwich-a-day-pork-loin-at-kittys-cafe-kansas-city.html

This is more of the reply I'm looking for - w/ a supportive URL or maybe even, better yet - drop some pictures. Lazy bastards.o:-)

KCUnited
06-16-2014, 07:21 AM
UPS Dave and Bob from the downtown Peanut have a new spot in the East Bottoms called Hobos. They know what's up.

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives/2014/05/28/hobos-grill-and-bar-serves-a-great-pork-tenderloin

Simply Red
06-16-2014, 07:27 AM
I'm trying to remember - when you order a PT at TT - what do they include? just bun, pickle and mustard? What's Texas Tom's default PT dressing, KC United?

Grim
06-16-2014, 07:32 AM
I grew up in Iowa where tenderloins were a staple.
The best tenderloin I've had in the KC area was from Pickerings.... they closed/moved and are now called 'The Pick'.
The 'Red Hot & Blue' tenderloin is awesome (they dip the tenderloin in buffalo hot sauce and serve it with blue cheese).

http://thepickbbq.com/?page_id=42

KCUnited
06-16-2014, 07:41 AM
I'm trying to remember - when you order a PT at TT - what do they include? just bun, pickle and mustard? What's Texas Tom's default PT dressing, KC United?

I seem to remember the TT tenderloin being served with lettuce/tomato/pickle. My recollection is having to add mustard/mayo back at the crib. I did a short stint north of the river and would hit the TT on Linwood, grab a tenderloin, and it would be so hot that by the time I got it up to Vivian road it was the perfect crush temp.

Simply Red
06-16-2014, 07:43 AM
I seem to remember the TT tenderloin being served with lettuce/tomato/pickle. My recollection is having to add mustard/mayo back at the crib. I did a short stint north of the river and would hit the TT on Linwood, grab a tenderloin, and it would be so hot that by the time I got it up to Vivian road it was the perfect crush temp.

I bet you were on your Hosoi when you plowed that SOB.

Dayze
06-16-2014, 07:43 AM
Kobis bar in Bonner springs has a really good one.

i saw one come out at one of the recent bike nights. it looked kick ass. I ended up ordering a burger, but told myself next time i'm getting that sammich.

tooge
06-16-2014, 07:44 AM
Best I've ever had was at the Tenderloin Grill in KC on SW Blvd. It's a dive, but their namesake sandwich is fantastic. They also have a "pork snoot" sandwich that is made from, well, the pork snout. It's damned good as well.

bdj23
06-16-2014, 07:45 AM
Culvers has a good PT sandwich

tooge
06-16-2014, 07:46 AM
Here you go, courtesy of the tenderloin grill

KCUnited
06-16-2014, 07:52 AM
I bet you were on your Hosoi when you plowed that SOB.

Back in 2000, the late night TT crew on Linwood was nothing but eses. My window didn't roll down so I'd pull up to the drive thru and hangout telling pussy stories through the window while they fried up our tenderloins and tots.

My other dude lived by the TT on Rainbow across from KU Med and we'd crush that place too. Eventually, it closed and our friend bought it and opened a bar called Downey's. Our course that whole area is apartments now I think.

TT was very much apart of my KC mid-20's as gross as that is to type out.

Simply Red
06-16-2014, 07:54 AM
Here you go, courtesy of the tenderloin grill

I'm offended.

scho63
06-16-2014, 07:57 AM
Taking a beautiful piece of pork tenderloin, pounding the hell out of it when it doesn't need it, then breading the hell out of it and frying it, may be the single most useless and wasteful use of meat I've ever seen. It tastes like shit and loses all it's character.

Instead take a beautiful pork tenderloin, marinade it in your favorite sauce or flavoring, cook it on the grill, then slice into 1/2"-3/4" thick slices and put on a Martin's round potato roll with your sauce. I love some spiced mayo with horseradish.

This will blow you away!

Fire Me Boy!
06-16-2014, 08:00 AM
Taking a beautiful piece of pork tenderloin, pounding the hell out of it when it doesn't need it, then breading the hell out of it and frying it, may be the single most useless and wasteful use of meat I've ever seen. It tastes like shit and loses all it's character.

Instead take a beautiful pork tenderloin, marinade it in your favorite sauce or flavoring, cook it on the grill, then slice into 1/2"-3/4" thick slices and put on a Martin's round potato roll with your sauce. I love some spiced mayo with horseradish.

This will blow you away!

I make an amazing roasted tenderloin stuffed with toasted bread cubes, apples, and cabbage.

Simply Red
06-16-2014, 08:01 AM

This will blow you away!

This is somewhat fair. I don't like too much breading/batter.

Renegade
06-16-2014, 08:04 AM
I have always had good luck with Smith's Restaurant in Boliver and Collins.

http://www.smithsrestaurant.com/

Al Bundy
06-16-2014, 08:04 AM
Pauls Drive In on Blue Ridge.

MahiMike
06-16-2014, 08:05 AM
Don't remember the name but a place on 40 highway was good 40 years ago. If I recall, they had good burritos too. Not far from the stadium. I'm in liberty now. Not sure what's around here.

Side note: my Austrian wife makes these. Schnitzel brot.

MahiMike
06-16-2014, 08:11 AM

Thanks. Gotta go to crown center.

Simply Red
06-16-2014, 08:17 AM
no clue how I've never heard of Paul's.

Oxford
06-16-2014, 08:24 AM
Grays in Maryville Missouri. Your choice Breaded or Grilled.

Cartoons in Springfield has a a pretty decent one

cdcox
06-16-2014, 08:30 AM
I'm offended.

Ignore the snout and take another look at that tenderloin. The pickled onions is where it's at! Perfect condiment.

Simply Red
06-16-2014, 08:35 AM
Ignore the snout and take another look at that tenderloin. The pickled onions is where it's at! Perfect condiment.

would you plow that pig snout sammy, seedy?

vailpass
06-16-2014, 08:52 AM
All across Iowa...

sd4chiefs
06-16-2014, 08:58 AM
If anyone who lives in California knows what a Pork Tenderloin sandwich is and where I can get one, even a bad one, please let me know. I tried to order one once when I first moved here and the waitress just looked at me like I was from another planet.

loochy
06-16-2014, 09:01 AM
If anyone who lives in California knows what a Pork Tenderloin sandwich is and where I can get one, even a bad one, please let me know. I tried to order one once when I first moved here and the waitress just looked at me like I was from another planet.

Two things:

1.) Make your own

2.) If you are the entrepreneurial type, this demonstrates an opportunity to enter a market segment that is apparently untapped.

Valiant
06-16-2014, 09:06 AM
I liked big burgers tenderloin growing up. Quite a few places make a decent giant flake tenderloin.

sd4chiefs
06-16-2014, 09:46 AM
Two things:

1.) Make your own

2.) If you are the entrepreneurial type, this demonstrates an opportunity to enter a market segment that is apparently untapped.

1. I do make my own but I suck at it.

2. The locals here turn away from anything deep fried in oil and eat fish taco's

Sorce
06-16-2014, 09:50 AM
I enjoyed the one at http://governorstumpys.com.

I've always been interested in the one at pauls but can't bring myself to not order the double cheeseburger.

BucEyedPea
06-16-2014, 09:57 AM
Never heard of a pork tenderloin sandwich or seen one or any menu.

Only pork tenderloin I've used in a sandwich is leftover from a roast and not fried.

scho63
06-16-2014, 12:47 PM
I make an amazing roasted tenderloin stuffed with toasted bread cubes, apples, and cabbage.

That sounds great.

I made a tenderloin two weeks ago in the oven after marinating it in Sesame Ginger marinade from Lowry's along with oven roasted brussel sprouts with garlic, roasted red potatoes with extra virgin olive oil, basil and oregano and lastly a cold five bean salad with garbanzo, red kidney, cannellini, navy, and black beans, sweet corn, red onion, red and orange peppers, radish, cilantro, olive oil and lime dressing. It was a fantastic meal! :D

gblowfish
06-16-2014, 01:05 PM
In KC you can get a giant tenderloin sandwich at several drive ins and bar/restaurant type places.

In my neck of the woods (East KC-Independence) I would recommend:
Hi-Boy (any location)
http://www.hiboydrivein.com/
Big Boy at US 40 and Crysler
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Big-Boy-Burgers/111661835538760
Courthouse Exchange (Independence Square across from courthouse)
http://courthouseexchange.com/
Englewood Cafe in Independence
http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g60849-d897890-r173073871-Englewood_Cafe-Independence_Missouri.html
Teresa's Drive in at Truman Rd and Bennington, next to the KCFD Hazmat station.
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Teresas-Drive-In/121117604568358
Big Biscuit (all locations)
http://www.bigbiscuitrestaurant.com/

shakesthecat
06-16-2014, 01:13 PM
All across Iowa...

This

It's practically the official state sandwich. Hard to find a bad one.

BucEyedPea
06-16-2014, 01:18 PM

I have a terrific farmers market near me run by a Greek. You know how the
Greeks on fresh farm produce? They're good for that.

gblowfish
06-16-2014, 01:24 PM
Tenderloin sandwich, rings, and I think breaded mushrooms at Teresa's Drive In on KC's far East Side. This would be about a mile west of I-435 and Truman Road, next to KCFD Hazmat Fire Station.

Check out the size of that tenderloin....

Oxford
06-16-2014, 01:41 PM
This

It's practically the official state sandwich. Hard to find a bad one.

The key is the breading, and it came from a roast it is likely not the tenderloin. Pork Loin and Pork Tenderloin are not the same cut. My wife coats the tenderloin with olive oil, then rolls it in cracked pepper and kosher salt. Roast it about 325, good eating there boy.

MOhillbilly
06-16-2014, 02:18 PM
We have one loin cut into cutlets. I smash them til they are goo. Roll em in egg and the dry coating twice. Throw em in the grease.
Serve em on a toasted bun with onion and home made honey mustard.

Its a fan favorite.

memyselfI
06-16-2014, 02:21 PM
Best I've ever had was at the Tenderloin Grill in KC on SW Blvd. It's a dive, but their namesake sandwich is fantastic. They also have a "pork snoot" sandwich that is made from, well, the pork snout. It's damned good as well.

Ditto. It's been there forever. They used to be bigger and better than they currently are. Like epically good. Now they are merely better than most.

MOhillbilly
06-16-2014, 02:21 PM
In the summer time I add a slice of tomatoe.

memyselfI
06-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Never heard of a pork tenderloin sandwich or seen one or any menu.

Only pork tenderloin I've used in a sandwich is leftover from a roast and not fried.

Do you not have Culvers or sports bars where you live?

gblowfish
06-16-2014, 02:28 PM
Culver's makes a really good fish sandwich.

Pepe Silvia
06-16-2014, 02:30 PM
Love Pork Tenderloin, I can eat the whole damn thing with horse radish sauce.

Nzoner
06-16-2014, 02:33 PM

http://goodlaughz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/More-Eucalyptus.gif

jspchief
06-16-2014, 02:35 PM
The key is the breading, and it came from a roast it is likely not the tenderloin. Pork Loin and Pork Tenderloin are not the same cut. My wife coats the tenderloin with olive oil, then rolls it in cracked pepper and kosher salt. Roast it about 325, good eating there boy.
The breaded pork tenderloin comes from the loin, not the tenderloin. Despite the name.

BucEyedPea
06-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Do you not have Culvers or sports bars where you live?

Don't know about any Culvers around me but I haven't really seen or noticed any. We do have plenty of sports bars though. I been to more than a few and never seen a pork loin sandwich.

jspchief
06-16-2014, 02:39 PM
All across Iowa...
Seriously. You can find amazing tenderloin sandwiches in a dozen small towns in every direction from Des Moines, and there's probably 6 places in town that are great too.

gblowfish
06-16-2014, 03:10 PM
Looks like in Iowa the tender comes with pickles, onions and yellow mustard. Here's a guy who made an Iowa pilgrimage looking for the holy grail of Iowa tenderloin sandwiches: http://allenbukoff.com/wildBPTiowa03/

srvy
06-16-2014, 03:22 PM
Over the years we've had some great ones in St. Joseph but the best I ever had was at a little place here called Bottoms Up.Unfortunately the big chains eventually forced them to close and what was really sad is when the paper ran an article they were closing they sold over 6,000 tenderloins in a month.

If I want a good one now I like the one at 54th Street Grill and Bar

I bet this is the place me a a friend used to go. We would drive to Pideon Hill wildlife refuge and take our bows and walk the 3d archery course for practice. After we always drove to a place that hammered out a loin that stuck out around a 6inch bun 3 inches. Sucker was good but I was full befor I gout to bun and condiments. It was excellent.

HonestChieffan
06-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Peculiar drive in makes them fresh daily. They run out every day so go before 1245. Awesome

http://m.singlepage.com/peculiar-drive-in

KCUnited
09-14-2014, 09:20 AM
I took one for the team this weekend; got blunted up and headed to Texas Tom's on Linwood for a tenderloin, burrito, and tots. As you can see from this atrocious photo, their technique is to fold the tenderloin over in the bun with lettuce, tomato and onion. I added mustard/mayo back at the crib as a personal preference.

This rebooted Texas Tom's appears to be run by a polite Pakistani family and I knew the tenderloin was fresh as I had to pull away from the drive thru into a parking space and waiting less than 5 minutes for them to walk it out to me.

Overall, it wasn't as good as I remember, but it was worth the trek. I did head straight to poop within minutes of waking up in the morning though, which I really didn't mind.

http://i1290.photobucket.com/albums/b539/KCUnited1/381ee320-7557-4b4e-b400-26b63d8823d3_zpsf125955d.jpg (http://s1290.photobucket.com/user/KCUnited1/media/381ee320-7557-4b4e-b400-26b63d8823d3_zpsf125955d.jpg.html)

Perineum Ripper
09-14-2014, 09:23 AM
There is a very small town a few miles from where I live..like a population of 38 or 48..called Winigan..it has a small restaurant and the last time I was there a few years ago tgey had a great one..my grandma also makes a pretty good 1