PDA

View Full Version : Life Torn on a decision and I really shouldn't be

BigRichard
06-16-2014, 12:38 PM
So I started a thread a few weeks back that I got laid off. Well things have started looking really good for me as of recently in the job hunt. I had a really good interview at a place here in town and I knew they were going to call and offer me the position. So when the place called that laid me off and offered me both a huge signing bonus and a raise to boot to come back I told them I wanted to wait and see what this other place was going to offer me.

Well the other place called and offered me significantly less than what I could make at the other place(especially with the signing bonus). I thought about it over the weekend and I called my old place of employment to make sure the offer was still on the table and she told me yes. So I told them to start the paperwork, I was coming back.

Here is my problem. When I called the other place to let them know I was going to take this other position they offered me a big chunk more. It doesn't get me to what the other place is offering but I wanted that job more so I would have taken less and what they offered me was what I probably would have taken. I told them I would think about it but I just have a hard time telling someone I will take a job and then backing out on it. Even though they did screw me over and laid me off.

Why do I have such a hard time doing this? I guess I am just looking to see what people have to say about this. Do other people feel this way? I just hate this and I have no idea why. I should be feeling wonderful because I have two companies fighting over me right now. But I just have this punched in the gut feeling. Could it be a feeling of loyalty maybe?

I am going to go drink my AIDS infested anti freeze right after this.

K thnx by

The Franchise
06-16-2014, 12:41 PM
It's a business and they do not care about you. You have to do what is best for you and only you.

Katipan
06-16-2014, 12:45 PM
This happened to Rachel on an episode of Friends. I think she picked the job that would give her the most joy not the most money. Of course after that she changed her mind for a guy but I don't think you'll have that problem.

We can all learn a lot from Friends.

mr. tegu
06-16-2014, 12:46 PM
What makes you think you won't get laid off again?

BigRichard
06-16-2014, 12:49 PM
What makes you think you won't get laid off again?

Although I think it would be very remote it is a possibility. They were hurting for business but right after they laid 4 people off they signed a couple of contracts. There will be work to be done. The other place is a very secure company and I would never have to worry about that.

Anyong Bluth
Where are you happier, and where do you envision longer term success?

That's your answer...

Marcellus
Do whatever seems right in your mind. Period.

Beef Supreme
06-16-2014, 12:58 PM
If either one of these companies gave a shit about you they would have made their second offers the first time.

Fire Me Boy!
06-16-2014, 01:02 PM
Im in the minority here, but I think once you tell one company yes, you're committed. Bad form to back out.

Fire Me Boy!
06-16-2014, 01:03 PM
If either one of these companies gave a shit about you they would have made their second offers the first time.

That's dumb. When you're buying a car, do you offer your best right out of the gate?

Predarat
06-16-2014, 01:03 PM
If you want the other job, screw the company that screwed you. They will do it again if given the chance.

Cannibal
06-16-2014, 01:04 PM

Or not laid him off to begin with.

Cannibal
06-16-2014, 01:05 PM
Im in the minority here, but I think once you tell one company yes, you're committed. Bad form to back out.

Fuck em.

They laid him off.

Business is business after all.

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-16-2014, 01:05 PM
You dumbass , take the job that offers you the best long term ! It's not a difficult decision.

Oh. and fuck them.

King_Chief_Fan
06-16-2014, 01:07 PM
I would pick where I had the best chance for development, future to grow with the company, opportunity to advance and provide the most security ( if possible to assess).

BigRichard
06-16-2014, 01:07 PM
If you want the other job, screw the company that screwed you. They will do it again if given the chance.

I know I stated they screwed me over but they really didn't. Yes they did lay me off but I had only worked there 7 months and they gave me 2 1/2 week severance for the time I was there. Wasn't such a horrible deal.

Edit: Although I had been sweating bullets about finding another job.

mr. tegu
06-16-2014, 01:11 PM
Although I think it would be very remote it is a possibility. They were hurting for business but right after they laid 4 people off they signed a couple of contracts. There will be work to be done. The other place is a very secure company and I would never have to worry about that.

So the signing bonus is a "sorry we laid you off a few weeks ago" bonus? Strictly looking at finances, it is hard to say without knowing the financials involved. Are we talking 5% difference in pay? 10%? Then I would want to factor in the actual numbers as in, 5K more is a lot more if the salary is going to be 45K instead of 40K. Whereas 5K more if the numbers are either 80K or 85K is very minimal. Not asking to post the numbers, but just something to consider.

And I would not be worried about the "bad form." They let you go once already and you need to do what is best for you. It isn't like you started working there for a few weeks again and then got offered a different job to take.

Beef Supreme
06-16-2014, 01:12 PM
That's dumb. When you're buying a car, do you offer your best right out of the gate?

I only implied the amount of fucks given by the companies doing the hiring.

They can lowball if they want, trying to get a quality employee on the cheap, but when it bites them in the ass, they get to live with it.

They don't give a fuck about the OP and the OP shouldn't give a fuck about them.

Prison Bitch
06-16-2014, 01:13 PM
I would pick where I had the best chance for development, future to grow with the company, opportunity to advance and provide the most security ( if possible to assess).

Waste of time. Companies change too rapidly these days incl te managers so what you experience today won't likely be the case in 24 months. I'd never return to an old company personally and would try life at the new place.

Your word matters zilch in business because their word doesn't matter. Your word only matters with friends and family. When they fire you they say "things changed". Same deal with you

mr. tegu
06-16-2014, 01:14 PM
I know I stated they screwed me over but they really didn't. Yes they did lay me off but I had only worked there 7 months and they gave me 2 1/2 week severance for the time I was there. Wasn't such a horrible deal.

So they may not have a good handle on their employment needs?

Dayze
06-16-2014, 01:18 PM
yep; I busted my a** at a company i LOVED working for; 55+ hour weeks, on call virtually 24/7, huge responsibility. Yeah, after 2 years they come up and just say "we're going to have to lay you off. as well as others due to some business decisions". no severance; nothing. Just a big 'K thx Bai".

If I were in your position (and I'm by no means saying it's what you should do. ...just me personally), I would tell the original company to get bent. Fuck you....if you wanted me to stay, why fuck around and lay me off and turn my life upside down etc. If the company that laid me off, in my case, called and offered me my job back I would tell them to fist themselves. and I took a huge pay cut with my current gig.

mr. tegu
06-16-2014, 01:20 PM
The most important question everyone is missing though, is which company will allow you to log the most internet time?

Sassy Squatch
06-16-2014, 01:20 PM
I'm not going back to a company that's laid me off once before if another offer is on the table. No matter the circumstances.

BigRichard
06-16-2014, 01:23 PM
So the signing bonus is a "sorry we laid you off a few weeks ago" bonus? Strictly looking at finances, it is hard to say without knowing the financials involved. Are we talking 5% difference in pay? 10%? Then I would want to factor in the actual numbers as in, 5K more is a lot more if the salary is going to be 45K instead of 40K. Whereas 5K more if the numbers are either 80K or 85K is very minimal. Not asking to post the numbers, but just something to consider.

And I would not be worried about the "bad form." They let you go once already and you need to do what is best for you. It isn't like you started working there for a few weeks again and then got offered a different job to take.

So they may not have a good handle on their employment needs?

I don't mind stating the bonus and it was $5000. And yes basically it was a, sorry we laid you off bonus.

As far as the difference in pay at first it was almost 18% but with the new offer it is down to 9% difference. Even at that difference I can live just fine. It isn't like it would be hard times for me or something.

It is a smaller company. Only had about 20 employees outside of the President and couple of VPs before the layoff. Just one contract for them is huge. I also know that someone else just left as well.

Marcellus
06-16-2014, 01:25 PM
Why do you feel like you were screwed over by being laid off when the contracts were up? Did they have work for you but gave it to shittier employees?

If it was simply a matter of they didn't have work then its not personal and if they called you back for more $ then it obviously wasn't personal to them.

It would all depend on how it was handled but if everything was above board then it is what it is.

BigRichard
06-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Why do you feel like you were screwed over by being laid off when the contracts were up? Did they have work for you but gave it to shittier employees?

If it was simply a matter of they didn't have work then its not personal and if they called you back for more $ then it obviously wasn't personal to them.

It would all depend on how it was handled but if everything was above board then it is what it is.

And just to clarify the contracts they had were not up they just were not signing new ones even though they were shelling out money for development of new products.

Dartgod
06-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Do what's best for you.

/thread

Iowanian
06-16-2014, 02:11 PM
Look at the big picture not the dollar today.

Which position will you enjoy more? Which one has better benefits? Is the vacation time the same? Is one company more stable than the other? Which offers more room for advancement and long term financial win?

If you choose the new job instead of the old, just tell them you've decided to "Lay them off" as an employer until you need them more.

bevischief
06-16-2014, 02:44 PM
Do what's best for you.

/thread

Long term. No else is looking out for you but you. Money or happiness? Think about it. It all comes down to what you can sleep with at night.

Valiant
06-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Whereever makes you happier, then bonus if it can cover all your living costs.

I just got a new job in legal and my word their benefits are amazing.

ChiliConCarnage
06-16-2014, 03:06 PM

Exactly. They didn't screw you over they were just doing what was in their best interest. I doubt they enjoyed laying you off anymore than you'll like reneging on the agreement to join but you'll just be doing what is in your best interest.

digger
06-16-2014, 03:33 PM
http://vivavisibilityblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/show-me-the-money.jpg

HemiEd
06-16-2014, 04:03 PM
Where are you happier, and where do you envision longer term success?

That's your answer...This and one more consideration which is also very important.

Which bridge do you want to burn? It is going to happen in this scenario with the one you don't pick. Been there and done it.

Chief Roundup
06-16-2014, 04:09 PM
How did they screw you over?

BigRichard
06-16-2014, 04:18 PM

I backtracked on that a little.

bevischief
06-16-2014, 04:22 PM

They laid him off.:cuss:

BigRichard
06-16-2014, 04:25 PM

On a side note, I really didn't feel they screwed me over but what they did to another guy about 4 weeks prior to laying me off was. They hired a guy for a position they had open. The guy put in his two weeks at his other job. Two days before the two weeks were up they decided not to fill the position and they called and told the guy. Luckily his employer kept him but I would think that would make for a very awkward situation.

Edit: Telling this story is really helping make up my mind.

Just Passin' By
06-16-2014, 04:28 PM
On a side note, I really didn't feel they screwed me over but what they did to another guy about 4 weeks prior to laying me off was. They hired a guy for a position they had open. The guy put in his two weeks at his other job. Two days before the two weeks were up they decided not to fill the position and they called and told the guy. Luckily his employer kept him but I would think that would make for a very awkward situation.

Edit: Telling this story is really helping make up my mind.

Unless you think your company would never pull crap like that again, you should be thinking about taking that other job with a clear conscience.

Lex Luthor
06-16-2014, 04:28 PM
Wow. That may have been true 30 years ago when taking a job meant lifetime employment. No way in hell that's true today. It's an incredibly naive position, especially since the company already laid him off once.

EXACTLY!

Look at the big picture not the dollar today.

Which position will you enjoy more? Which one has better benefits? Is the vacation time the same? Is one company more stable than the other? Which offers more room for advancement and long term financial win?

If you choose the new job instead of the old, just tell them you've decided to "Lay them off" as an employer until you need them more.

EXACTLY!

Chief Roundup
06-16-2014, 04:33 PM

They gave him severance. Have you ever quit a job and gave notice? I bet you didn't think you were screwing them over.
It sure has been easy to tell who have always been employed by others and never owned their own business in this thread.
I would love to hear some business owners chiming in here.
They did more than they had to, and more than a lot would! At least they made it to where he could draw unemployment benefits as well.
I would say by what has been presented in this thread that his best decision would to be to go back to his original employer. He may not be so lucky next time with an employer treating him in this manner.

teedubya
06-16-2014, 04:39 PM
Well, if BigRichard is a dick in real-life, like he is here most of the time, then I'd imagine getting laid off will be a perpetual thing in his life.

BigRichard
06-16-2014, 04:52 PM
Well, if BigRichard is a dick in real-life, like he is here most of the time, then I'd imagine getting laid off will be a perpetual thing in his life.

Que? When was I ever a dick to you or anyone else? Might have some difference of opinions on political things but I have no clue what you might be talking about. I can think of maybe once or twice being a dick(definitely no worse or better than most around here) . I don't ever recall it being pointed at you.

And as for being laid off, the last time I was unemployed was about 15 years ago.

Lex Luthor
06-16-2014, 08:03 PM

I don't know either one of you. But with a post like that in a thread like this, you're the one who looks like a dick.

UL Washington
06-16-2014, 08:37 PM
Never feel guilty about screwing over a corporation... in fact embrace it.

BigRichard
06-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Just to give everyone an update I took the job from new company I hadn't worked at and told the other one I wasn't going to start there after all. Only thing that sucks now is I have to wait almost a week longer to get back to work. Oh well, guess I can collect unemployment for another week and enjoy my time.

Thanks everyone for the input.

SAUTO
06-18-2014, 02:36 PM
I don't know either one of you. But with a post like that in a thread like this, you're the one who looks like a dick.

oh don't worry its not that dub's post makes him look like a dick, he just is a dick.