PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto plumber advice needed

ndws
06-18-2014, 07:35 AM
I bought one of those corner air bubbler tubs, and on blind faith of the home depot guy, bought the drain kit he recommended. His drain kit recommendation was horse shit. I'm beyond the return period so I'll just eat that one, but I don't want to buy another crap drain.

Any recommendations on a brand/model of a drain?

This is the drain I bought http://www.homedepot.com/p/Watts-Plastic-Bath-Drain-Kit-22SN-ORB/100677390

I think it could actually be ok if a few things were different. The first problem is, the stopper uses gravity, so it takes a fair amount of water in the tub for it to seal. It only sets in the base of the drain, but had it screwed in, turning the dial at the overflow would have pulled it down snug...but that's not the case. So, giving the baby a bath in this is not an option, unless we want to give him a snorkel.

Eh, in any case, does anybody know any non-super expensive drain kits that are pretty decent options for this?

Dayze
06-18-2014, 07:39 AM
"I'm hear to clean your pipes"

ndws
06-18-2014, 07:51 AM
here or hear?

Eh, either way, first door on the right. The wife is in there. Good luck.

BullJunkandIron
06-18-2014, 08:26 AM
Bring the plumber in for a look.

Dante84
06-18-2014, 08:43 AM
Pull your pants up.

ndws
06-18-2014, 09:17 AM
so no actual recommendations on a decent drain kit?

srvy
06-18-2014, 09:34 AM
Is the mechanism not sensitive enough? Seems the weight of the water should force the drain closed after the water covers the drain. Is there a setting for amount of water pressure it takes?

Myself I use the old rubber plug method as my old tub the mechanical stopper broke long ago.

Id call the manufacturers hotline see if they can help ya.

TLO
06-18-2014, 09:35 AM
Antifreeze? :shrug:

Dartgod
06-18-2014, 09:43 AM
I don't have any advice, but recommend wearing this shirt while on duty.

http://www.freshplaza.com/2012/1015/a1.jpg

Coochie liquor
06-18-2014, 09:51 AM
They sell a drain with a stopper that you lift and turn to lock/unlock it in place. That should work unless I'm misunderstanding the question.

Coochie liquor
06-18-2014, 09:56 AM
Also they have the push to open/close variety if you don't want the knob on the drain.

Predarat
06-18-2014, 10:14 AM
The ones that show their crack even though its gross do the best work.

ndws
06-18-2014, 10:54 AM
Is the mechanism not sensitive enough? Seems the weight of the water should force the drain closed after the water covers the drain. Is there a setting for amount of water pressure it takes?

Myself I use the old rubber plug method as my old tub the mechanical stopper broke long ago.

Id call the manufacturers hotline see if they can help ya.

Its sensitive enough, and turning the dial at the overflow will raise/lower the drain stopper fine. But, since the drain stopper really only sets into the mechanism and not actually being attached, when you lower it all the way down, the rubber gasket really only touches the tub bottom and isn't snugged down. So, with a few inches of water, it will eventually trickle out. It really does take a fair amount of water to actually put enough weight to make a good seal. And I may simply be forced to go that route. Just pull the crappy little stopper out, and use an old rubber plug of some type unless I replace the entire drain kit, which at this point I'm ok with doing.

Unfortunately, the manufactur isn't much help. Its a Watts brand drain, so from what I can tell its a good brand. (original post has link to it) Down side is, after a little research, this particular model is some China made crap that I haven't even had much luck finding on their website. Home Depot sells it though. Reviews online basically confirm the exact same issues I'm seeing.

ndws
06-18-2014, 11:00 AM
They sell a drain with a stopper that you lift and turn to lock/unlock it in place. That should work unless I'm misunderstanding the question.

That's probably my fall back option if I can't find a good drain kit at a reasonable price.

srvy
06-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Id replace it with a tried and true model

American Standard, Delta, Moen are some that I trust but I have never replace my tub drain.

Sound like you need to.

Iowanian
06-18-2014, 11:10 AM
Also they have the push to open/close variety if you don't want the knob on the drain.

I put some of these in my house and I find them to be a pain in the ass. They have some kind of suction that makes them leak and whine and groan. I don't think I'd install these again in tubs.

ndws
06-18-2014, 11:16 AM
Id replace it with a tried and true model

American Standard, Delta, Moen are some that I trust but I have never replace my tub drain.

Sound like you need to.

This is my goal. Just hoping someone with real world experience can recommend a tried and true drain kit for this application.

FlaChief58
06-18-2014, 11:37 AM
K.I.S.S most times the simplest option is the best. Lift & turn models are tried and true.

Oh and go to a plumbing supply house, ie Ferguson. They have better quality than the shit you get at the box stores

Hog's Gone Fishin
06-18-2014, 12:17 PM
so no actual recommendations on a decent drain kit?

WTF do you need a friggin drain kit ? Doesn't the tub have a hole in the bottom for the water to go out ? Is something covering the damn hole ? If it is then uncover the damn hole . Geez !

srvy
06-18-2014, 12:22 PM
WTF do you need a friggin drain kit ? Doesn't the tub have a hole in the bottom for the water to go out ? Is something covering the damn hole ? If it is then uncover the damn hole . Geez !

Thats right and buy a rubber stopper.

ndws
06-18-2014, 02:08 PM

Eh, It has a hole on the bottom, and the side believe it or not. They even go so far as to sell these fancy dancy drain kits that connect the whole dadgum thing together. Maybe I'll just caulk the top one shut and abide to the hog farmer school o' thunkin'.

Coochie liquor
06-18-2014, 04:14 PM
Eh, It has a hole on the bottom, and the side believe it or not. They even go so far as to sell these fancy dancy drain kits that connect the whole dadgum thing together. Maybe I'll just caulk the top one shut and abide to the hog farmer school o' thunkin'.

Lmmfao!! Just seal up both holes and use a bucket to drain it!

Chief Roundup
06-18-2014, 04:36 PM
The unit should have came with the appropriate drain kit when you purchased the tub especially if it is something that is not standardized. Drains are pretty standard on all tubs/showers.

ndws
06-19-2014, 09:53 AM
The unit should have came with the appropriate drain kit when you purchased the tub especially if it is something that is not standardized. Drains are pretty standard on all tubs/showers.

Nope, it required a separate drain/overflow to be added. Its a standard size, bought this one off the shelf and it fits perfect. Its just a crap drain and I was hoping for someone with personal experience to say drain X is a really good drain for this application.