PDA

View Full Version : Football Does Bill Belichick have a copy of the Jets playbook?

Ebolapox
06-19-2014, 12:37 PM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11107433/bill-belichick-new-england-allegedly-copy-new-york-jets-playbook

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- Bill Belichick once got busted for illegally spying on the New York Jets. Now there's a story that says the New England Patriots coach may have obtained a copy of the Jets' playbook from Alabama coach Nick Saban, a close friend -- and an acquaintance of Rex Ryan.

[+] EnlargeRex Ryan
AP Photo/Julio Cortez
Bill Belichick, right, allegedly has a copy of the Jets' playbook, which coach Rex Ryan gives out "like candy," former assistant Mike Pettine told Sports Illustrated.
The latest chapter of skullduggery between the two rivals was hatched by Cleveland Browns coach Mike Pettine, the Jets defensive coordinator from 2009 to 2012. In an interview with Sports Illustrated's themmqb.com, Pettine suggests that Belichick might have obtained the Jets' playbook through Saban.

At Wes Welker's wedding, Patriots quarterback Tom Brady bragged to Mike Smith, another former Jets assistant, that they may have a copy of the Jets' playbook, according to Pettine. Smith and Welker were college roommates at Texas Tech; Smith is now a member of Pettine's staff.

"It didn't shock me because Rex would give them out like candy anyway," Pettine told the website. "He gave one out to Saban, and I was like, 'Don't you know Saban and Bill are pretty good friends? I have a feeling it's going to end up in New England.'"

Ryan has always spoken highly of Saban, and he has spoken on at least one occasion at a coaches' clinic at Alabama. But Saban and Belichick are extremely tight; Saban was Belichick's defensive coordinator with the Browns from 1991 to 1994.

What would possess Pettine to reveal such sensitive information? In the profile, he explains why he prefers not to have a thick playbook, saying he doesn't like to include "graduate-level information" because of the possibility of it ending up in enemy hands.

"We know in places like New England, it's only a matter of time that they somehow mysteriously end up with our playbook," Pettine said.

When Belichick was asked about the story, he replied, "Talk to Mike Pettine. I don't know."

Ryan wasn't immediately available for comment. He is scheduled to address the media later Thursday after the Jets' final minicamp practice.

The Franchise
06-19-2014, 12:48 PM
I think I see more of a problem with Ryan handing out playbooks like "candy".

Mr. Laz
06-19-2014, 12:55 PM
Hope so

It will be fun to watch the jets implode and the media cry about it

ModSocks
06-19-2014, 12:57 PM
This probably happens a lot more than the NFL would like to admit.

listopencil
06-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Maybe they took it to make corrections and hand it back to the Jets, as a show of good will.

Ebolapox
06-19-2014, 01:04 PM
I think I see more of a problem with Ryan handing out playbooks like "candy".

agreed.

BigCatDaddy
06-19-2014, 01:07 PM
Didnt this happened on a Brady Bunch episode?

listopencil
06-19-2014, 01:16 PM
Didnt this happened on a Brady Bunch episode?

http://cdn2.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/3754087/stillbetterthancassel.0_standard_709.0.gif

"Oh, my nose...oh, my nose...oh, my nose..."

jonzie04
06-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Belichick is a scumbag... no integrity, no loyalty to his players. The only thing he cares about is winning... damnit, I wish he was our coach.

Steron
06-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Playbooks? I thought they were all on iPads now?

JD10367
06-19-2014, 02:54 PM
This is ridiculously unbelievable.

(Not the whole "teams having other teams' play books" stuff... The part where anyone would think another team needs the Jets playbook to beat their sorry asses.)

chiefzilla1501
06-19-2014, 04:01 PM
I don't understand what Mike Pettine's trying to do here. But it's pretty clear he'll have a short career as a head coach.

Easy 6
06-19-2014, 04:10 PM
Belichick is a scumbag... no integrity, no loyalty to his players. The only thing he cares about is winning... damnit, I wish he was our coach.

LMAO

lcarus
06-19-2014, 05:00 PM
I have all the teams playbooks on madden. The jets one is pretty shitty

planetdoc
06-19-2014, 05:03 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/19/rex-ryan-on-pettines-playbook-charge-i-dont-understand-what-hes-trying-to-gain/
Ryan didn’t know whether or not New England had a copy of any Jets materials, saying that reporters should ask Pettine because the former Jets assistant “seems like he’s got the information.” Ryan also said he didn’t understand what Pettine is “trying to gain” from sharing a tidbit of information that Ryan doesn’t think would have mattered in his team’s games against New England if it were true.

“One thing I know for a fact, it’s disrespectful to New England to say, ‘oh, they did this…’” Ryan said, via CBS New York. “Every single game, your playbook changes. Your game plan changes every single week. Your playbook, if you study your opponent, is based on your preparation. This thing has probably been blown out of proportion a little bit. To me, this is a lot to do about nothing.”

Ryan said he didn’t feel the need to speak to Pettine about anything, although he did suggest that Pettine keep quiet about such matters in the future.

Belichick was also asked about the possibility that his team had inside information and said, via the Boston Herald, interested parties should ask Pettine because Belichick didn’t know the answer to the question. If Belichick did get his hands on a playbook, it didn’t come from Alabama coach Nick Saban. Pettine mentioned that Ryan gave Saban, a friend of Belichick’s, a Jets playbook but an Alabama spokesman said, via the New York Daily News, that he never gave a copy to Belichick and would never pass along such materials.