PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink -- Please discuss your kitchen hardware/tools/cooking utensils etc...

Pages : [1] 2

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 07:33 PM
Hi Guys.

So in this thread I'd be interested in the following:

- newer tools that you use that are not as common

- common utensils that you have in the kitchen that are staples for your cooking.

- Old family treasure passed down to you - such as a special knife or something useful like that.

- A few more items you may consider discussing - Cutting-boards, knives (again), presses, spatula's, maybe pancake turners/spatula's.

- I'm okay with even going as far as spices in your spice-rack.

Lately I don't have a bunch to brag about - I did recently drop about $350 at Burlington Coat Factory (of all places) on cookware (I had nothing decent since the divorce) - they had a lot of unique things, one of my sautee skillets is ceramics and has the best handle for flipping pasta's (or whatever) - another thing I had discovered there was a really nice bacon press. I will get the brand-name a little later on this weekend.

I will add photo's over the weekend, hopefully.

I wanted the thread to drop tonight though, so please share anything that's cool, special or especially 'useful' for your throwing down in the kitchen.

Thanks guys.

Look forward to hearing about and/or seeing your gear.

Bugeater
06-20-2014, 07:34 PM
We seem have more crap than we have cabinet space for, which is pretty amazing considering our kitchen is pretty much floor to ceiling with cabinets.

Deberg_1990
06-20-2014, 07:46 PM
My wife has been on a Pampered Chef kick lately. they have a ton of cool stuff actually. Very well made.
Posted via Mobile Device

Pasta Little Brioni
06-20-2014, 07:51 PM
FMB! just JIHP

Baby Lee
06-20-2014, 08:01 PM
My general touchstones

Cutco - forever guaranteed knives, work like a charm but if I sense they are dulling, I just send them back and they send me new. Had them for almost 25 years and replaced them twice. Warning, pictured below is about $900 up front.

http://www.ibj.com/ext/resources/blog/propertylines/C/Cutco.jpg

Calphalon - duh, everyone knows Calphalon

http://photo.oempromo.com/Prod_161/Calphalon-14-Piece-Simply-Calphalon-Nonstick-Cookware_60948310.jpg

Stainless steel and silicone wherever possible in utensils [whisks, ladles, spatulas, etc. Even have a collapsible silicone colander as well as a silicone muffin tin and various silicone pads for baking sheets].

Flavorwave Turbo Oven - Halogen heating element with a fan, making a compact convection cooker

http://www.asseenontvus.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/flavorwave-oven-turbo.jpg

Induction cooking hot plate - no heating element, cooks by inducing current in cookware itself, surface only gets hot by contact with pot or pan, like setting a pan on a potholder.

http://www.vending-online.com/sunpentown/cooktop/portable-micro-induction-cooktop-sr-964tb-sunpentown-burner.jpg

Kenmore Elite Combo Microwave and Convection Oven

My unit

http://www.kenmore.com/kenmore-elite-1.5-cu-ft-countertop-microwave-w/p-02075153000P

http://c.shld.net/rpx/i/s/i/spin/image/spin_prod_885288412?hei=315&wid=315&op_sharpen=1&resMode=sharp&op_usm=0.9,0.5,0,0

Good quality rice cooker - can do so much more

My unit

http://www.argos.co.uk/wcsstore/argos/images/58-4226309MSA74UC734417M.jpg

I have other stuff, but these are what I rely on daily or at least bi-weekly.

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 08:16 PM
I would like to personally recommend you all look into bacon/meat presses.

Great thing to own. Mine is cast iron. Again; I'll get the name of it later on - they're on Ebay 'new'

NewChief
06-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Henckel knives and Calpholon hard anodized cookware. I would like a nice kitchenAid mixer. Otherwise I'm good. I would actually like a nice mandoline as well.

highBOLTage
06-20-2014, 09:02 PM
Used a spatula, tongs, plastic cutting board, and two cast iron pans with lids tonight. Knife and fork to eat food which was put on a plate. Drank out of a cup. Cleaned pans with a brush and put dirty dishes in the dishwasher. (Not sure if it was cool to mention the fork, plates, and cup as they were not expressly deemed to be permitted in this thread in the OP, but I went for it anyways.)

Great thing to own. Mine is cast iron. Again; I'll get the name of it later on - they're on Ebay 'new'

Have two. Square one and a pig shaped one.

Baby Lee
06-20-2014, 09:05 PM

Microwaves are actually very well suited for cooking bacon. Renders the fat due to the liquid content. Doesn't curl as the heat is applied uniformly at the molecular level. If you have a convection/microwave combi-oven that allows things like stainless steel racks to keep the bacon up out of it's grease, it's the perfect solution.

mlyonsd
06-20-2014, 09:11 PM
Microwaves are actually very well suited for cooking bacon. Renders the fat due to the liquid content. Doesn't curl as the heat is applied uniformly at the molecular level. If you have a convection/microwave combi-oven that allows things like stainless steel racks to keep the bacon up out of it's grease, it's the perfect solution.IMO the microwave is the best way to cook bacon. I use a thing called a Makin bacon.

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 09:12 PM
I also bought a t-fal skillet - I thought these were the best of the worst sort of ordeal. But really, they seem fairly cheap. At least mine does, uneven cooking etc... maybe I just bought a lemon.

lewdog
06-20-2014, 09:13 PM
You pillowbiters turned this into the Martha Stewart Lounge.

Asshats.

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Used a spatula, tongs, plastic cutting board, and two cast iron pans with lids tonight. Knife and fork to eat food which was put on a plate. Drank out of a cup. Cleaned pans with a brush and put dirty dishes in the dishwasher. (Not sure if it was cool to mention the fork, plates, and cup as they were not expressly deemed to be permitted in this thread in the OP, but I went for it anyways.)

Have two. Square one and a pig shaped one.

Mine is a pig as well, just a round pig - it works nice even on burgers, I'll do burgers once per week w/o a bun - put a little gates sauce and slivered raw onion w/ a side of roasted broccoli. Good meal - anyhow the sear from the pig weight really helps when you can't grill as an option.

Baby Lee
06-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Henckel knives and Calpholon hard anodized cookware. I would like a nice kitchenAid mixer. Otherwise I'm good. I would actually like a nice mandoline as well.

You called

http://www.thenibble.com/REVIEWS/main/snacks/images/CuisinartMandolineSlicer.jpg

Also, it's not so much a tool or utensil, but one of the most important parts of my kitchen [which is smallish] is over my sink.

I bought a cheapo two tier towel rack, like this;

http://img2.wfrcdn.com/lf/49/hash/1271/3876391/1/Gatco-Three-Tier-Towel-Rack-in-Chrome.jpg

without the center rack, and a bunch of chain S-links, link in the middle of this;

http://www.betterhammocks.com/Bay%20Hammock/images/HK6500SW.jpg

picture.

I can hang skillets, my collapsible colander, ladles, spatulas, pizza cutters, whisks, graters, etc. just about anything with a hole at the end of its handle. Up and out of the way, not getting beat up in cupboards or drawers, easy reach, compact footprint. Sink-wide mesh strainer sits up top.

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 09:17 PM
You pillowbiters turned this into the Martha Stewart Lounge.

Asshats.

off-season gets like this - it's been pure filth in the past. This summer - summer 2014 was definitely a food summer. These people love to discuss food, I guess anyone does really.

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 09:19 PM
Unfortunately - anymore, I'm so busy with work that I view cooking differently than I have in the past.

I've owned good knives - I have a few decent ones, currently - but nothing like the quality I owned when I was married. Sucks she kept them - she can't even cook.

Maybe I'll enjoy cooking again once I get involved 'seriously' w/ a lady friend.

lewdog
06-20-2014, 09:24 PM
By the looks of the people in the stands at the Royals game tonight, you fat fucks in KC need to lay off the food for a while!

Baby Lee
06-20-2014, 09:27 PM
Unfortunately - anymore, I'm so busy with work that I view cooking differently than I have in the past.

I've owned good knives - I have a few decent ones, currently - but nothing like the quality I owned when I was married. Sucks she kept them - she can't even cook.

Maybe I'll enjoy cooking again once I get involved 'seriously' w/ a lady friend.

By the looks of the people in the stands at the Royals game tonight, you fat fucks in KC need to lay off the food for a while!

You guys need to stop sequential posting. Someone's going to have a seizure from your avvies.

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 09:33 PM
You guys need to stop sequential posting. Someone's going to have a seizure from your avvies.

ROFL

lewdog
06-20-2014, 09:35 PM
ROFL

ROFL

Baby Lee
06-20-2014, 09:37 PM
ROFL

ROFL

Stop ih . . . - arrgghhh, blarrghh, bllllaahhhhh!!!!

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 09:39 PM
By the looks of the people in the stands at the Royals game tonight, you fat ****s in KC need to lay off the food for a while!

I could post a thread literally titled - "Favorite Convenience Store Food in a Hurry" and then go on into the OP and discuss QT Jalapeno dogs and maybe a quick mention about something like 7-11's liquid cheese nachos or something like that, and I ASSURE you it'd get 100+ post.
These guys LOVE to talk food - and it didn't just start it's been like that for a while. I have dozens of food related threads - and if you look in my index under my stats, they're almost ALWAYS 100+ . It makes it fun and is somewhat refreshing that the CP'ers can discuss something outside of our shitty Chiefs.

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 09:41 PM
let's see Fire Me Boys! tool.

Bob Dole
06-20-2014, 09:41 PM
.44 mag, chainsaw, Dewalt 24v cordless drill.

lewdog
06-20-2014, 09:43 PM
I like talking about food too but it should be mostly in one thread. Not 10 a day that are borderline Food Network . com here.

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 09:44 PM
.44 mag, chainsaw, Dewalt 24v cordless drill.

ok well how about this - Name one kickass restaurant in Texarkana, what spot just has awesome food there? non chain...& what's good there?

jspchief
06-20-2014, 09:46 PM
I also bought a t-fal skillet - I thought these were the best of the worst sort of ordeal. But really, they seem fairly cheap. At least mine does, uneven cooking etc... maybe I just bought a lemon.
tfal is garbage

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 09:47 PM
I like talking about food too but it should be mostly in one thread. Not 10 a day that are borderline Food Network . com here.

It'll calm down - just a good thing to discuss when there's not a lot going on - I have only around two more planned. It's Deberg that has been going nuts lately. I went on a kick a few weekends ago. But I've tried to temper my threads and cool it for a while - I'm thinking I'll do one more and then the Shoney's follow up thread and then turn it off as the season grows closer.

Bob Dole
ok well how about this - Name one kickass restaurant in Texarkana, what spot just has awesome food there? non chain...& what's good there?

Dixie Diner (southern), Colimas (authentic west coast Mexican), King of Wings (shit wings, awesome burger), Cattleman's (steak house), Hopkins Ice House (pizza).

Hammock Parties

Probably some place named Bob & Tom's

Bob Dole
06-20-2014, 09:48 PM

So Bob Dole should hold off on the "What's your favorite paper towel in the kitchen?" thread?

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 09:48 PM
tfal is garbage

I discovered that. thing is no better than a generic skillet. I'll never return to that brand and the skillet will be gone within a year or so.

NewChief
06-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Oh and my very cheap food processor might be my most useful all around implement. From making pizza dough to hummus to to falafel to shredding Brussels, I use it constantly.

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 09:53 PM
Hopkins Ice House (pizza).

see i'd like something like this antipasto assortment from Hopkin's Ice House - looks really good.

Plus their Fried Catfish platter looked nice. Nice big fillet, good looking slaw.

http://i.imgur.com/WwGblrs.jpg

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 09:56 PM
Oh and my very cheap food processor might be my most useful all around implement. From making pizza dough to hummus to to falafel to shredding Brussels, I use it constantly.

I still need some things - that's one - I'd like to get a crock pot for Great Northerns and Chuck Roast (in the winter months)

I still need several items - I will revisit cooking again - once time free's up - I truly think I could enjoy it again - versus it feeling like a chore.

Bob Dole
06-20-2014, 09:56 PM
see i'd like something like this antipasto assortment from Hopkin's Ice House - looks really good.

Plus their Fried Catfish platter looked nice. Nice big fillet, good looking slaw.

http://i.imgur.com/WwGblrs.jpg

Actually have not had anything bad there. It is Bob Dole's regular beer joint.

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 10:05 PM
Actually have not had anything bad there. It is Bob Dole's regular beer joint.

seemed to have a stage too - that's always a nice perk to hear live music - are you still doing the band thing?

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 10:07 PM
& as a side-note - I've been having a craving for a nice platter of farm raised catfish w/ slaw and hush puppies. I like the ones that are grain fed and smaller cuts.

The best I ever had was at some place in Tupelo Mississippi (of all places, ha)

Just Passin' By
06-20-2014, 10:15 PM
I use Anolon for my non stick pans (14 inch skillet, 12 inch covered saute pan, 8 inch skillet and covered saute pan, various sauce pans).

All Clad is what I use for stainless skillets and my roasting pan.

I've got a couple of different copper bottom saucepans and several cast irons pots and pans.

They all get frequent use, with the exception of a cast iron dutch oven that sees only occasional use.

Baby Lee
06-20-2014, 10:25 PM
with the exception of a cast iron dutch oven that sees only occasional use.

Huh, my cast iron dutch oven never even leaves my stove top.

But then, I make a lot of popcorn in it besides the usual searing beef and making chili.

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 10:32 PM
I use Anolon for my non stick pans (14 inch skillet, 12 inch covered saute pan, 8 inch skillet and covered saute pan, various sauce pans).

All Clad is what I use for stainless skillets and my roasting pan.

I've got a couple of different copper bottom saucepans and several cast irons pots and pans.

They all get frequent use, with the exception of a cast iron dutch oven that sees only occasional use.

I need to go ahead and bite the bullet on a cast iron skillet and maybe a couple of sizes of those Calphalon skillets.

My ceramic is cool - but it only works well w/ certain textures - it's not real versatile, surprisingly.

Bob Dole
06-20-2014, 10:51 PM
seemed to have a stage too - that's always a nice perk to hear live music - are you still doing the band thing?

Bob Dole's band was the first one to play there. Bob Dole hosts Challenge Entertainment live trivia there on Monday nights now.

Band thing is meh... The guitar player joined another band and refuses to practice right. Bob Dole still gets to sit in with other bands a couple of times a month. Not too many guys beating a wooden box, so it's a novelty.

Just Passin' By
06-20-2014, 10:53 PM
Huh, my cast iron dutch oven never even leaves my stove top.

But then, I make a lot of popcorn in it besides the usual searing beef and making chili.

I use cast a non-cast iron dutch, and I also have a pair of seasoned Imusa calderos, so that really limits the need for my cast iron dutch oven.

I am thinking of adding one of these

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Pro-Logic-P7A3-Cast-Iron-Aebleskiver/dp/B00063RXQA/ref=sr_1_2?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1403326248&sr=1-2&keywords=Aebleskiver

to my cast iron collection.

Simply Red
06-20-2014, 10:56 PM
Bob Dole's band was the first one to play there. Bob Dole hosts Challenge Entertainment live trivia there on Monday nights now.

Band thing is meh... The guitar player joined another band and refuses to practice right. Bob Dole still gets to sit in with other bands a couple of times a month. Not too many guys beating a wooden box, so it's a novelty.

LMAO

Yep. Well I'll have to check that place out If I ever make it over that way.

Pasta Little Brioni
06-20-2014, 11:42 PM
Still need our Spaghetti Red!

cdcox
06-20-2014, 11:46 PM
Wusthof Classic 7 Inch Santoku knife -- my workhorse knife

Revere Ware 12 Qt copper bottom Stock Pot. Best overall pot/pan in the kitchen.

Lodge 12 inch cast iron skillet. Seasoning could be better, but I love this pot.

Carbon steel wok. This was a wedding present: 31 years old. Very well seasoned.

Cuisinart Food processor -- This thing is a champ.

06-20-2014, 11:48 PM
I hate the kitchen. Cooking is the absolute last thing I want to spend my time doing.

cdcox
06-20-2014, 11:48 PM
We bought a ceramic cooktop range last Fall. I hate it. Heat control is horrible. I would rather cook on electric coils, and I'm 100% serious about that.

BucEyedPea
06-20-2014, 11:51 PM
Wusthof Knives
Cuisinart (use it a LOT)
Le Creuset Dutch Oven
Nutribullet
Mango Cutter
Cherry Pitter
Tons of cookie cutters and aspic cutters, leaf shape cutters for pies

Gawd! I'm to tired to think.

BucEyedPea
06-20-2014, 11:53 PM
We bought a ceramic cooktop range last Fall. I hate it. Heat control is horrible. I would rather cook on electric coils, and I'm 100% serious about that.

Yeah, I passed on those. Tho' I despise electric cooking. I prefer gas stove--grew up using that and had it in Boston. Much easier to control. Pro chefs prefer gas stoves.

BucEyedPea
06-20-2014, 11:55 PM

I want to get a Santoku next. I got my daughter one for Xmas. I have a regular standard chef's knife by Wusthof.

cdcox
06-20-2014, 11:56 PM
Yeah, I passed on those. Tho' I despise electric cooking. I prefer gas stove--grew up using that and had it in Boston. Much easier to control. Pro chefs prefer gas stoves.

Yeah, gas is far and away the best. Gas isn't an option for me at this point.

Buehler445
06-21-2014, 12:01 AM
Microwaves are actually very well suited for cooking bacon. Renders the fat due to the liquid content. Doesn't curl as the heat is applied uniformly at the molecular level. If you have a convection/microwave combi-oven that allows things like stainless steel racks to keep the bacon up out of it's grease, it's the perfect solution.

This. Bacon in the microwave owns.

Wife has this deal with channels to hold the bacon up out if the grease. It's awesome. I want bacon all the sudden.

I still need some things - that's one - I'd like to get a crock pot for Great Northerns and Chuck Roast (in the winter months)

I still need several items - I will revisit cooking again - once time free's up - I truly think I could enjoy it again - versus it feeling like a chore.

Crock pots Are cheap broseph. Just go get you one. I've got a good crock pot fajita recipe. It doesn't have to be all roasts.

I don't have much cool. Kitchen aid mixer is good.

Wife has this cool apple slicer. You just line it up on the apple over the core, press down and it'll perfectly slice your apple. Pretty damned slick. Not sure the brand. Xoxo maybe?

I never knew how good ice cream scoop was. I'd always used a big spoon. Get an ice cream scoop. I don't eat a lot if ice cream, but it's with the money. Zulus brand

Our pans are ass. It's on the agenda to get some decent ones.

I have a wustof knife set. It's the best steel I've used.

Airware cookie sheets are a must.

I've got some big ass bowls. They're the cheap walmart stuff but they'll hold a pint of farm sweet corn we put up or a big ass salad.

We got some Rubbermaid produce keeper containers. They really help keep produce good longer.

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 12:06 AM
I have an Amana glasstop, haven't had any problems with it. Don't use it a lot because I don't often need all that burner space. MoF, I usually use my induction plate on top of the stove top. But that's a safety thing. Like I said, with induction, the only thing that gets hot is the pot. I do use it for cast iron cooking, which brings me to the drawback which is treating the glass surface with kid's gloves, no scraping the cast iron around the cook surface.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 12:07 AM
I don't cook anything in a microwave (save for the popcorn the SO likes) and I don't use any non-stick cookware.

I would love an induction burner tho. Saw one in the thread. Oh! Man I want one of those real bad.

TimBone
06-21-2014, 01:35 AM
My wife bought some highfalutin cutting knife from one of her younger cousins for some high school fundraiser. I swore up and down that it'd be a cheap ass knife due to the fact that a school fundraiser was selling it. I was wrong. That thing showed up in the mail, and I ran the blade down my arm to prove my wife wrong....that thing shaved my arm with no force at all. Looked like I had waxed my arm. Wonderful knife. I'll check the brand name tomorrow and post it here.

Also, the blender thread has convinced me that I want a Vitamix, but I'm gonna settle for a Ninja because I'm cheap.

Buehler445
06-21-2014, 01:38 AM

Revere Ware 12 Qt copper bottom Stock Pot. Best overall pot/pan in the kitchen.

Lodge 12 inch cast iron skillet. Seasoning could be better, but I love this pot.

Carbon steel wok. This was a wedding present: 31 years old. Very well seasoned.

Cuisinart Food processor -- This thing is a champ.

Season your skillet.

I don't cook anything in a microwave (save for the popcorn the SO likes) and I don't use any non-stick cookware.

I would love an induction burner tho. Saw one in the thread. Oh! Man I want one of those real bad.

Why no microwave or nonstick?

chiefzilla1501
06-21-2014, 02:37 AM
Heat diffuser. Originally bought it to make tagines now I can't imagine cooking anything stovetop on low heat without it

nstygma
06-21-2014, 02:40 AM
I have an Amana glasstop, haven't had any problems with it. Don't use it a lot because I don't often need all that burner space. MoF, I usually use my induction plate on top of the stove top. But that's a safety thing. Like I said, with induction, the only thing that gets hot is the pot. I do use it for cast iron cooking, which brings me to the drawback which is treating the glass surface with kid's gloves, no scraping the cast iron around the cook surface.I also have an induction cook top. I use cast iron and a thin steel wok. I'm unsatisfied though. The induction cook top does not heat evenly, only in a ring pattern. Any tips to get a good even heat? I purchased the thick cast iron thinking it would help a little but it didn't.

chiefzilla1501
06-21-2014, 02:42 AM
I also have an induction cook top. I use cast iron and a thin steel wok. I'm unsatisfied though. The induction cook top does not heat evenly, only in a ring pattern. Any tips to get a good even heat? I purchased the thick cast iron thinking it would help a little but it didn't.

Buy a heat diffuser and put it on your stovetop

nstygma
06-21-2014, 03:13 AM
Buy a heat diffuser and put it on your stovetopNot sure that would help, since the heat is generated from a magnetic field and not dissipated through the diffuser. I'm looking into it though.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 05:07 AM
Went to bed early last night - 5:30 call in town this morning.

My knives are my proud point. I have six handmade Japanese knives from Watanabe Blades, including my 7-inch santoku, a nakiri, a paring knive, a boning knive, and single bevel (left handed) sushi knives.

My workhorse is the 8-inch Tojiro gyoto, with a backup 8-inch Victorinox.

If all you're used to working with are middle of the road Wusthoffs or cheap knives, spend $100 on a good Japanese chef's knife. It'll change your world.

I have a 12-inch Lodge cast iron that is a beast and really well seasoned, along with an 8-inch Lodge round griddle. I have a 5-quart Lodge enameled cast iron dutch oven, and a 12-inch enameled Le Creusset.

I've got two carbon steel pans (8- and 10-inch) and a 14-inch carbon steel wok that I paid $12 for at a Chinese market in Myrtle Beach and may be my best purchase for quality.

I have a couple Calphalon hard-anodized skillets (12- and 14-inch), and one 8-inch T-Fal Pro nonstick, which gets used for eggs only. If you don't own one CHEAP piece of nonstick, you're missing out on the best egg fryers on the market.

I have my Vitamix blender that gets almost daily use and a 6-quart Kitchenaid Pro stand mixer that gets weekly use.

Specialty: I have my Sous Vide Supreme that mostly sees hard but sporadic use, which means I may not use it at all for a couple months and then will bust it out and use it nonstop for a couple weeks.

I cook on gas, but never had before this house, which we had to have gas run to convert.

I rarely use the microwave, but when I do it's for very specific purposes. For instance, I learned from Modernist Cuisine that the microwave is perfectly suited to make steamed fish. That blew my mind.

I have Williams Sonoma Gold touch bread pans in both 1- and 1.5-pound sizes for my bread.

And two food processors, one is an 11-cup Cuisinart, the other a 3-cup mini prep from Kitchenaid.

ExtremeChief
06-21-2014, 07:18 AM
I have a Maytag ceramic cooktop. I don't mind it. It is easy to clean. As for nuking the bacon, I always bake mine. It comes out consistent and cleaning up the pan is a breeze. Unless I want to turn on the Traeger and grill it...

My cookware sucks. Only thing I like is my SS dutch oven that has a bottom over an inch thick. Great for chili and soups.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 07:20 AM
I have a Maytag ceramic cooktop. I don't mind it. It is easy to clean. As for nuking the bacon, I always bake mine. It comes out consistent and cleaning up the pan is a breeze. Unless I want to turn on the Traeger and grill it...

My cookware sucks. Only thing I like is my SS dutch oven that has a bottom over an inch thick. Great for chili and soups.

I do my bacon in a skillet because i want to cook my eggs in some of the fat.

And I forgot about my stainless. A couple skillets, two sauce pans.

NewChief
06-21-2014, 07:24 AM
I've considered getting a santoku. One thing I've heard, though, is that the handles are often really small (made for Japanese hands), which can cause problems/pain for people with large hands (me).

I think one of the Euro brands (Henckel?) was starting to make santoku style blades with western handles, though.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 07:48 AM
let's see Fire Me Boys! tool.

You want to see my tool? NTTAWWT.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Heat diffuser. Originally bought it to make tagines now I can't imagine cooking anything stovetop on low heat without it

You make Moroccan tangines huh? I made one once.

chiefzilla1501
06-21-2014, 08:14 AM
You make Moroccan tangines huh? I made one once.

Yup. Have made it a few times. Wanted to experiment with preserved lemons, which is just rubbing a bunch of lemons in kosher salt and throwing it in a jar of lemon juice for a few weeks. Awesome flavor and the tagine is just such a unique way to make food.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 08:20 AM
Yup. Have made it a few times. Wanted to experiment with preserved lemons, which is just rubbing a bunch of lemons in kosher salt and throwing it in a jar of lemon juice for a few weeks. Awesome flavor and the tagine is just such a unique way to make food.

I like it when I made one. Kid didn't so much. So didn't make again.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 08:22 AM
Simply Red, I'd have to submit a pdf if I listed all my machines and equipment.
I'll do more later in bits n pieces. My garage is bursting at the seams with kitchen stuff.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 08:22 AM

I make those. Also works great with blood oranges and key limes.

chiefzilla1501
06-21-2014, 08:23 AM
I make those. Also works great with blood oranges and key limes.

Crazy. Will have to give that a try.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 08:30 AM
Crazy. Will have to give that a try.

Blood oranges take a bit longer, key limes a bit less.

I can post a recipe later if you'd like. Meyer lemons make the best preserved lemons.

chiefzilla1501
06-21-2014, 08:41 AM
Blood oranges take a bit longer, key limes a bit less.

I can post a recipe later if you'd like. Meyer lemons make the best preserved lemons.

That would be awesome. Yes, for preserved lemons, I only use meyer.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 08:45 AM
That would be awesome. Yes, for preserved lemons, I only use meyer.

From America's Test Kitchen DIY book.

Makes 4 Lemons

We prefer Meyer lemons; however, if you can't find them, you can substitute regular (Eureka) lemons. Look for lemons with thin skins. Do not substitute table salt for the kosher salt. Depending on the size of your lemons, you may need more or less lemon juice to cover the lemons. You will need a 1-quart glass Mason jar for this recipe. The preserved lemons can be refrigerated for up to six months.

INGREDIENTS

4 Meyer lemons, scrubbed and dried well
3/4 cup kosher salt
1 1/2 cups fresh lemon juice from 8 lemons

INSTRUCTIONS

1. Cut each lemon lengthwise into quarters, stopping 1 inch from bottom, so lemons stay intact at base.

2. Hold 1 lemon over bowl and pour 3 tablespoons of salt into cavity of lemon. Gently squeeze lemon, rubbing cut surfaces together. Place lemon in 1-quart glass Mason jar. Repeat with remaining lemons and salt. Add accumulated salt from bowl to jar.

3. Pour lemon juice into jar so lemons are submerged. Cover jar tightly with lid, shake, and refrigerate, shaking jar once per day to redistribute salt and juice for first 4 days. Let lemons cure in refrigerator until glossy and softened, 4 to 6 weeks.

4. When ready to use, cut off desired amount of preserved lemon. Using knife, remove pulp and white pith from rind. Slice, chop, or mince rind as desired. (For uncooked applications, rinse lemons to remove excess salt before using.)

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 08:46 AM
For blood oranges or key limes, just follow the recipe with adjusting the time.

Also, important to use DIAMOND kosher salt.

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 09:24 AM
Simply Red, I'd have to submit a pdf if I listed all my machines and equipment.
I'll do more later in bits n pieces. My garage is bursting at the seams with kitchen stuff.

You should hold an auction - these dead beats will buy your stuff! :D

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 09:25 AM
again - Lemons + Poultry equals a winning duo. Lemon is a beautiful accent.

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 09:27 AM
My press is 'Old Mountain' just like the pictured.

http://i60.tinypic.com/10pvh42.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 09:51 AM

That's not a pig.

Mine is a pig as well, just a round pig - it works nice even on burgers, I'll do burgers once per week w/o a bun - put a little gates sauce and slivered raw onion w/ a side of roasted broccoli. Good meal - anyhow the sear from the pig weight really helps when you can't grill as an option.

srvy
06-21-2014, 10:05 AM
I dont have any really fine cookware or knives but I get by.

I bought a cheap set of Wolfgang Puck SS pots and pans 6 years ago from Sams club.
My 12" and 6" cast iron lodge see lots use. Specialy for a quil sausage link and fried egg before work. Also have a Lodge CI Dutch Oven I got for camping but it pulls double duty.
Wife has a Ginormous hand pounded steel wok she brought from the Philippines with her thing is awesome. But she bought smaller aluminum wok from a local Filipino Market here and she used that one and rarely the big ass wok.

Maybe for another thread but whats you guys go to Fish Sauce.

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 10:08 AM
Wife has a Ginormous hand pounded steel wok she brought from the Philippines with her thing is awesome.

Punctuation!!

Can't tell between her Wok and her 'thing,' which is ginormous, which is hand pounded, and which is awesome.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 10:32 AM
I dont have any really fine cookware or knives but I get by.

I bought a cheap set of Wolfgang Puck SS pots and pans 6 years ago from Sams club.
My 12" and 6" cast iron lodge see lots use. Specialy for a quil sausage link and fried egg before work. Also have a Lodge CI Dutch Oven I got for camping but it pulls double duty.
Wife has a Ginormous hand pounded steel wok she brought from the Philippines with her thing is awesome. But she bought smaller aluminum wok from a local Filipino Market here and she used that one and rarely the big ass wok.

Punctuation!!

Can't tell between her Wok and her 'thing,' which is ginormous, which is hand pounded, and which is awesome.

See... here I thought she bought the wok with her thing. And it's the Philipines, so I just kinda figured srvy's girl was a ladyboy.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 10:39 AM
Boards.

I have four that all see fairly regular use.

Two are plastic, one smaller and one a bit bigger. One has little rubber feet to keep it stable. These are used for meat and are dishwasher safe. When they warp, I'll buy new ones.

I have one bamboo board that's about 9x12, used for smaller prep - garlic, fresh herbs, etc. The other is 18" round, 3" thick, end cut maple. And it's gorgeous.

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 10:39 AM
That's not a pig.

ROFL - true true - the OTHER one's on the shelf were - under the same make.

LMAO - I didn't remember which i'd procured.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 10:41 AM
I have a few spatulas, but mostly I work with tongs. If you don't have a pair of cheap spring tongs like these, you're missing one of the most important tools in the kitchen. There's a reason line cooks call these "hands."

http://www.zesco.com/pImages/214/214-d-018-1.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 10:43 AM
ROFL - true true - the OTHER one's on the shelf were - under the same make.

LMAO - I didn't remember which i'd procured.

I need to buy one... I don't do bacon a lot, but when I do I do it a pan so I can use the dripping for eggs. Or I pour it into a mason jar and save the drippings.

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 10:49 AM
I need to buy one... I don't do bacon a lot, but when I do I do it a pan so I can use the dripping for eggs. Or I pour it into a mason jar and save the drippings.

not sure if you own a searing tool - If you don't this thing will work well for one as a substitute.

If you don't have time to grill or it's raining or whatever the case; you can 'at least' get a nice sear - It has just enough weight to EVEN work well on a thicker cut of beef. Of course you know me - I'd rather saute a nice chicken breast until just a little crispy - add my squeezed lemon as it rests. Also a little bit of parm. & crushed red pepper.

So simple and one of my favs!

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 10:50 AM

I do the same in the microwave, only the bacon slices, and resultant drippings, are in a 9x9 Pyrex dish.

And as for searing beef, dutch oven, and pressure applied by the same tongs I turn the cut with.

No offense SR, but a bacon press violates Alton Brown's prime directive, eliminate uni-taskers [except for the fire extinguisher].

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 10:50 AM
I have a few spatulas, but mostly I work with tongs. If you don't have a pair of cheap spring tongs like these, you're missing one of the most important tools in the kitchen. There's a reason line cooks call these "hands."

http://www.zesco.com/pImages/214/214-d-018-1.jpg

you really need to hunt to find a true quality pair - or maybe at least know which offers the best spring-back.

Lot's of cheap tongs out there, and honestly it pisses me right off.

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 10:52 AM
I can use a french knife as well as any of you bastards - I assure you - but lately w/ the style of cooking I do - I do more 'slicing' than anything - so my French Knife is pretty meh - but the longer boner I have is dynamite and never goes dull.

This would be my first weapon if I had to defend myself in my Condo. I also own a few stars.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 10:53 AM
you really need to hunt to find a true quality pair - or maybe at least know which offers the best spring-back.

I don't remember what brand I have, but they weren't expensive and they work overtime in my kitchen. Although, I have had a couple cheap ass pairs that pissed me right off.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 10:54 AM
I can use a french knife as well as any of you bastards - I assure you - but lately w/ the style of cooking I do - I do more 'slicing' than anything - so my French Knife is pretty meh - but the longer boner I have is dynamite and never goes dull.

This would be my first weapon if I had to defend myself in my Condo. I also own a few stars.

I'll bet. Giggity.

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 10:55 AM
before I posted #91 I hadn't read your post Fried Meatball! - so I thought you were indicating some sort of spectacular tongs - which they DO make.

Cheap tongs work, but they have a shelf-life of about four or five uses before you throw them in w/ the aluminum cans for recycling.

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 10:56 AM
I will share my boner's brand-name a little later.

I am going to get a massage from Yuki - she's Chinese and has no eye iris'.

She may be a demon - but that's fine - I'm really sore.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 10:58 AM

What does this mean? Like Michelin?

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 11:02 AM

Restaurant supply

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 11:03 AM

:D

http://i.imgur.com/OFd6jWn.jpg

Baby Lee

http://allninjagear.com/content/images/thumbs/0000220_cyclone-throwing-star_300.jpeg

Fire Me Boy!
Restaurant supply

I had to go look. Mine are the Oxo locking tongs. They won Test Kitchen's equipment review. Around $13.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004OCK1/?tag=atkequippilot-20

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 11:04 AM

That's actually what I was picturing but I thought, "..... naaahhh."

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 11:16 AM

Should we expect a 'Free ninja accessory advice for the stealth-challenged male' thread in the near future?

Just Passin' By
06-21-2014, 11:19 AM
I had to go look. Mine are the Oxo locking tongs. They won Test Kitchen's equipment review. Around $13.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00004OCK1/?tag=atkequippilot-20

I use the OXO, too, with and without the nylon heads. I've never had any problems with them.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 12:13 PM

I bake my bakon. At 400 degrees on a broiling pan. Most of the grease falls through.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 12:23 PM
I bake my bakon. At 400 degrees on a broiling pan. Most of the grease falls through.

I used to do it that way, but it takes too long.

mikeyis4dcats.
06-21-2014, 12:25 PM
I prefer Anolon to Calphalon.

Once I bought a santoku I never went back to a chef's knife.

I love chef'n spatulas and some of their other tools.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 12:26 PM
I prefer Anolon to Calphalon.

Once I bought a santoku I never went back to a chef's knife.

I love chef'n spatulas and some of their other tools.

Interesting on the santoku vs. chef's knife. I've got very good versions of both, and I prefer the chef's knife every time.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 12:31 PM
The food isn't suppose to stick to the Santoku. Not that it's a huge issue, but it's a nice feature. I'm just a sucker for buying kitchen stuff.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 12:33 PM
I used to do it that way, but it takes too long.

Yeah, but I like how it comes out better. I just do something else and don't worry about it. Sometimes I cook a whole package and save the rest so I don't have to make it again. It tastes fine cold....especially on sandwiches or in salads.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 12:37 PM
The food isn't suppose to stick to the Santoku. Not that it's a huge issue, but it's a nice feature. I'm just a sucker for buying kitchen stuff.

Totally depends on how it's made. A santoku by design isn't necessarily stick free - the shape and slope of the blade is what makes it a santoku. What makes it stick free are the granton edges, which are common among santokus, but not necessary for it to be one.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Totally depends on how it's made. A santoku by design isn't necessarily stick free - the shape and slope of the blade is what makes it a santoku. What makes it stick free are the granton edges, which are common among santokus, but not necessary for it to be one.

Really. I always thought it was the edges that made it a santoku. Anyhow, those are the reason I want one. Also a really mandolin....but I've survived this long without one. I know how to do all the cuts the correct way for the same results a mandolin does.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 12:43 PM
Really. I always thought it was the edges that made it a santoku. Anyhow, those are the reason I want one. ( Also a really mandolin....but I've survived this long without one. I know how to do all the cuts the correct way.

If you ask me, skip the traditional mandolin and get a v-slicer. I have this one, and it works 10x better than the traditional mandolin I paid 3x as much for.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-V-Blade-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B001THGPDO

I also discovered this thing kicks ass at slicing bacon (I make my own, so it's unsliced).

Just Passin' By
06-21-2014, 12:44 PM
Really. I always thought it was the edges that made it a santoku. Anyhow, those are the reason I want one. Also a really mandolin....but I've survived this long without one. I know how to do all the cuts the correct way for the same results a mandolin does.

I love having my mandoline, but a food processor with extra blades is another great option.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 12:47 PM

Mine doesn't have the granton edge. And if you do an image search, the first one that comes up doesn't have one.

https://www.google.com/search?q=santoku&espv=2&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=edKlU9yEBtCHqgbX0YKIBQ&ved=0CGcQsAQ&biw=1517&bih=725&dpr=0.9#imgdii=_

The big thing about them is they typically have shorter handles and a shorter blade, and they have a very shallow slope to them compared to a chef's knife (this make rocking the blade a little more difficult).

Some people love them, and I while I like mine a lot, if all my knives are clean I'm reaching for my Tojiro gyuto first (Japanese chef's knife), my Victorinox chef's second, my santoku third.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 12:48 PM
I love having my mandoline, but a food processor with extra blades is another great option.

This is true. I don't have any slicing blades for my food processor, and last year I made 8 pounds of pickles out of cornichons. That was an assload of work on my v-slicer.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 12:56 PM

I was thinking of adding some of those extra blades.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 12:58 PM
If you ask me, skip the traditional mandolin and get a v-slicer. I have this one, and it works 10x better than the traditional mandolin I paid 3x as much for.

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-V-Blade-Mandoline-Slicer/dp/B001THGPDO

Thanks.

I also discovered this thing kicks ass at slicing bacon (I make my own, so it's unsliced).

You make your own bacon? Whaddaya have pigs in your backyard?:)

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 01:00 PM
I see a lot of smokers among you mid-westerners. Does anyone do any French cooking here?

I have a crepe pan ( also copper pans, Belgian waffle maker as well as a wok and much more).

Anyone make crepes?

Just Passin' By
06-21-2014, 01:02 PM
I was thinking of adding some of those extra blades.

I would definitely recommend it, especially if you have a large model and like to make dishes that involve a lot of slicing. Multiple thicknesses for slices, french fry cuts, cheese shredding, etc....

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 01:03 PM
This is true. I don't have any slicing blades for my food processor, and last year I made 8 pounds of pickles out of cornichons. That was an assload of work on my v-slicer.

I have a Cuisinart 14 cup with chopper, dough blade, grater, slicer and fry cut discs. My Cutco, as well as my Cuisipro grater, are so effective, though, that I only break it out for really big jobs.

Really recommend Cuisipro hand implements if you can find and afford them, box and hand graters, cheese slicer, whisks, all top notch. I've scavenged them from bargain stores and BB&B closeouts.

Best cheese slicer, bar none.

http://www.cuisipro.com/images/products/74/74-7/a2d.74-7078.jpg

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 01:07 PM
I bake off my bacon sometimes - as well - I usually push a small amount of light brown sugar into the slices - doesn't need much - but try it sometime.

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 01:08 PM
Should we expect a 'Free ninja accessory advice for the stealth-challenged male' thread in the near future?

I have not thought about that - I don't think it'd go more than 17 posts or so, though.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 01:09 PM
Thanks.

You make your own bacon? Whaddaya have pigs in your backyard?:)

I buy pork belly and cure and smoke my own. I haven't bought bacon in a couple years.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 01:11 PM
I have a Cuisinart 14 cup with chopper, dough blade, grater, slicer and fry cut discs. My Cutco, as well as my Cuisipro grater, are so effective, though, that I only break it out for really big jobs.

Really recommend Cuisipro hand implements if you can find and afford them, box and hand graters, cheese slicer, whisks, all top notch. I've scavenged them from bargain stores and BB&B closeouts.

Best cheese slicer, bar none.

http://www.cuisipro.com/images/products/74/74-7/a2d.74-7078.jpg

I'm thinking mine may be the 14-cup version. I got the blade, dough blade, and shredder for sure. And now that I think about it, I might have the slicing blades in a box somewhere. :hmmm:

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 01:11 PM
OXO are great in a pinch - aside from their jumbo can openers though - don't expect to keep them over 3 mos or so.

It's fine though - that brand is usually purchased w/ that in mind from me.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 01:13 PM
OXO are great in a pinch - aside from their jumbo can openers though - don't expect to keep them over 3 mos or so.

It's fine though - that brand is usually purchased w/ that in mind from me.

I've had the same three sets of Oxo for at least four years, and they get a workout daily from me.

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 01:16 PM
I've had the same three sets of Oxo for at least four years, and they get a workout daily from me.

well in fairness - I've only owned a pearing knife and a few other gadgets.

That's good. I've found them to be useful (in my experiences) - but they never last that long for me - however come to think of it, I've only bought a few other OXO products, never a larger knife or anything like that.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 01:20 PM
I have a beautiful cheese board with a draw on the bottom, where it holds all the different kinds of knives for cutting various cheeses: soft to very hard. I put that on display at Christmas time with fruit and some Baked Brie en Croute with either raspberries or apricot on top.

I love fancy things like that. Also my fine crystal glasses and china I keep in my China cabinet.

Simply Red
06-21-2014, 01:24 PM
I have a giant bamboo and hardwood apple-shaped cutting board.

yeah sure it's weird it's an apple - but it's humongous, so I don't mind much.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 01:25 PM
well in fairness - I've only owned a pearing knife and a few other gadgets.

That's good. I've found them to be useful (in my experiences) - but they never last that long for me - however come to think of it, I've only bought a few other OXO products, never a larger knife or anything like that.

I don't think I own anything from them except my v-slicer and the tongs. I'd buy both again in a heartbeat.

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 01:26 PM
I'm thinking mine may be the 14-cup version. I got the blade, dough blade, and shredder for sure. And now that I think about it, I might have the slicing blades in a box somewhere. :hmmm:

Would you believe, I went to a Home Depot of all places, and got all that for . . . wait for it. . . $35. It was a display unit, and had no box, but still, brand new.

Also got a Stainless steel blender for $10 at the same little kiosk.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 01:27 PM
I have a giant bamboo and hardwood apple-shaped cutting board.

yeah sure it's weird it's an apple - but it's humongous, so I don't mind much.

I have three bamboo, from small, to medium and large. Plus one plastic cutting board.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Would you believe, I went to a Home Depot of all places, and got all that for . . . wait for it. . . $35. It was a display unit, and had no box, but still, brand new.

Also got a Stainless steel blender for $10 at the same little kiosk.

Wow. Nice.

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 01:28 PM
Only Oxo I own, but I LOVE it!!

http://www.oxo.com/images/product/large/1140700V2.jpg

MahiMike
06-21-2014, 01:29 PM
Right now I'm using an assortment of cheap Chinese crap my dad bought at Wal-Mart. Visiting him and trying to cook with this junk is hard.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 01:52 PM
This T-Fal Pro, for as cheap as it is, probably gets used more than any other pan in my kitchen. It it almost always sitting on the stovetop.

http://www.amazon.com/T-fal-Professional-Dishwasher-Thermo-Spot-Indicator/dp/B000GWG0T2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1403380235&sr=8-1&keywords=tfal+pro

This is my egg pan, and I make eggs for myself and my wife (two different temps, so I cook them separately) every day. And if I need a quick snack, I'll have another egg. So this thing gets used at least twice a day, sometimes three. Treat it nice (I handwash and no metal utensils) and it'll last a while. I've had mine for a couple years now.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 01:53 PM
Beside my stove I have a large ceramic pot from Pottery Barn full of wooden utensils from pasta forks, to different kinds of spatulas, as well as: a soup ladle, sauce ladle, wire whisks, metal and plastic spatulas, spice grater, tongs. In the smaller one next to it I have smaller whisks, various size baking spatulas etc.

I have two colanders, and various size sieves, cheese cloths and flour cloths, Pizza cutters, pastry cutters, melon ballers, various size scoops for ice cream or making cookies, pizza wheels, apple slicer, grapefruit knives, Muddler, Shaker for making drinks.

My copper pans hang in my kitchen but I don't use those. They're from Crate n' Barrel that I got for my wedding. I cook with my Caphalon Tri-Ply Copper pans from Crate n' Barrel which have had it. I also have the heavy gourmet Tramontina saucepans, fryers and dutch ovens in two large sizes; an Asparagus Steamer (stainless steel), a Wok, Crepe pan, Fondue set, Juicer, Nutribullet, Ice Cream maker ( which I never used),Sunbeam Stand-up Mixer, Blender, Expresso/Latte/Cappuccino machine ( which sucks), Pizza stone, 4 Lodge cast iron pans in 4 sizes, Corningware sets from large to individual serving sizes, ceramic pie pans in different diameters and depths, large Trifle bowl ( used once) and lots of mixing bowls from Rosti melamine from Denmark, to my large set of glass bowls for Mise en Place.

I have a large marble slab, that I got from a quarry that I got for making custom lolliops when my kid was little for theme parties. Cookies sheets, large popover pan, Madeleine pan, racks for cooling baked goods, muffin top pan, cupcake/muffin pans in regular and mini size, several bundt pans in regular cake size and mini bundts, regular cake pans in square, round, loaf shapes, pastry tart pan, spring foam cake pans, Teddy Bear 3D shaped pan, Lamb 3D shaped pan, Small Snowman pans, Jack-O--Lantern pan, Angel Food cake pan, all kinds of pastry tips, bags for decorating along with Luster Dust, silver, gold, multi colored metallic dragees, white pearl dragees in regular and small sizes, all kinds of sprinkles, sanding sugar, larger sparkling sugar.

I'm sure I'm missing something. I'll let you know--like I said I am a kitchen supply junkie and I still want more stuff.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 01:53 PM
Oh yeah, I have a pepper mill, and a mill for my Himalayan salt.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 01:57 PM
Oh yeah, I have a pepper mill, and a mill for my Himalayan salt.

I have two Magnum pepper mills, and need to get a third and fourth.

My big one is standard tellicherry black peppercorns. The small one is white pepper. I need mills for grains of paradise and long pepper.

I like pepper.

I also have two bowls of salt - one bowl of Diamond kosher salt, and one bamboo salt box for Maldon flake salt.

lewdog
06-21-2014, 01:58 PM
This is where all the rich people hang out, huh?

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 01:59 PM
I have different molds for making shaped dips or gelatins but never make gelatin. The fish shaped one is the main one I use for my shrimp dip mold.

Cast Iron cornbread pan that makes cornbread into different shapes.
I have wine glasses of different kinds, Martini glasses, Champagne Flutes, Ice Bucket.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 02:00 PM
BucEyedPea has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:00 PM
I have two Magnum pepper mills, and need to get a third and fourth.

My big one is standard tellicherry black peppercorns. The small one is white pepper. I need mills for grains of paradise and long pepper.

I like pepper.

I also have two bowls of salt - one bowl of Diamond kosher salt, and one bamboo salt box for Maldon flake salt.

Yeah, I need one for my whole white pepper, my muti colored pepper and Sea salt. That's one of my next purchases.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:01 PM
BucEyedPea has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space.

I haven't cleaned it out because I am on someone else's computer as my monitor went and my HD got damaged last fall. I am getting it back soon.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2014, 02:02 PM

While you're paying for videos that you don't actually own, some people are saving up to buy items of a more permanent nature. :thumb:

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 02:02 PM
Yeah, I need one for my whole white pepper, my muti colored pepper and Sea salt. That's one of my next purchases.

This is the new Test Kitchen best of class model. Overtook my favorites (the Magnum) on their latest review.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003OICYZO/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_6?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:03 PM

LMAO

Some of those things were gifts.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:03 PM
I have a three tier display for sweets and a stemmed cake platter with dome from Crate and Barrel. I use that a LOT!

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:04 PM
Moving into my garage now to complete my report. But the SO just got in.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot there's stuff in the attic too.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:06 PM
I forgot all about my coconut scraper that I got at an Asian market. All you can get is the flaked at the supermarket and if you want to make nests out of coconut to decorate and toast you need those longer strands. It was less than a buck too. Can also use my lemon zester, the kind that makes spirals, but it doesn't work that well on coconut I found.

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 02:07 PM

I substitute $$ for an eye for quality and the patience to wait until I find things I want at a bargain price. Rarely have I bought anything in the kitchen I own for more than 50% of MSRP.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2014, 02:08 PM
I substitute $$ for an eye for quality and the patience to wait until I find things I want at a bargain price. Rarely have I bought anything in the kitchen I own for more than 50% of MSRP.

If you like Amazon

Amazon + Ookong = win

lewdog
While you're paying for videos that you don't actually own, some people are saving up to buy items of a more permanent nature. :thumb:

WTF are you talking about?

Fire Me Boy!

I have the same eye for quality, but not the patience. It's been in the past 5 years or so that I stopped buying crappy cookware, only to replace it. Now I buy a lot fewer items, but I spend more for the quality.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:16 PM
I have a digital scale from Oxo.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 02:17 PM
I have a digital scale from Oxo.

Not sure what mine is. I have one that's standard, then a small one that can measure to milligrams for whenever I play around with chemicals (molecular gastronomy).

kccrow
06-21-2014, 02:19 PM
I don't go all out on much... but my kitchen stocked full of shit haha.

I have Revere Ware Copper Bottom Pot set that are about 25 years old. Not sure of the quality of the new ones but you can't beat the old ones. I have 1, 2, 3, 4 qt and a double boiler.

I have 2 stainless stock pots, 8 qt and 12 qt.

Stainless colander. Set of 4 Stainless mixing bowls.

Got a cheap Wearever Teflon frying pan that's kinda large. 3 piece set of cast iron frying pans, can't beat cooking in them. 1 Stainless Wok. Cast iron Dutch oven.

3 piece set of Pyrex glass baking dishes also 4 piece set of Pyrex glass bowls for sides and whatnot.

KitchenAid Mixer with meat grinding attachment.

Let see... Got 2 Crock Pots, 1 Nesco cooker. 1 Turkey deep fryer.

Stainless baking sheets and a couple Teflon coated. A 9x13 Teflon cake pan. 1 Bundt cake pan.

Other than that, an assortment of wooden spoons, some stainless spatulas and spoons, a couple plastic for the Teflon shit... stainless measuring spoons and cups, Pyrex liquid measuring cups. That covers most of my essentials.

I don't really use much in the way of knives except a filet knife and a serrated bread knife. I do just about everything with the filet knife. Sharp edge. I can peel silver skin off of meat, cut tomatoes, de-bone, do everything. Call me odd, but most of my knives (Chicago Cutlery) just sit in the holder.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:19 PM

I watch for sales too. I go to the outlet stores when they have sales in Orlando. That's where I got a deal on my Wusthof knives and my Le Creuset dutch oven which is a French import.

Oh yeah, thinking of France, I have those baguette pans for making French baguettes. Only made once though.

lewdog
06-21-2014, 02:21 PM
Surely when we need new kitchen shit in our house, I'll be plugging FMB's Private Message box. Dude knows his shit.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 02:21 PM
:doh!: Totally spaced on my pressure cookers. One 6-quart that I use for meals, one 10-quart that I use for stock and the occasional canning session.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:25 PM
:doh: Totally spaced on my pressure cookers. One 6-quart that I use for meals, one 10-quart that I use for stock and the occasional canning session.

My mother bought me a pressure cooker when I got married among other things---but I NEVER used it. She told me if I did not use it right it would blow-up. So I never used it because that scared the shit out out of me. When I get busy in the kitchen I don't always pay attention to all areas.

Other Oxo tools: my egg beater. So I only have 3 Oxo's. My digital scale, mango cutter and egg beaters.

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 02:26 PM
I have the same eye for quality, but not the patience. It's been in the past 5 years or so that I stopped buying crappy cookware, only to replace it. Now I buy a lot fewer items, but I spend more for the quality.

My family spends a lot of time at flea markets, outlet stores, unclaimed freight, closeout aisles in big box stores, etc. Just have to be prepared for what you find.

Cuisinart processor - MSRP $250, paid $35
Kenmore Combi-oven - MSRP $350, paid $90
B&D can opener - MSRP $350, paid $1, yes $1.
Cuisipro utensils - MSRP $15-20, paid $3-5
same for various KitchenAid and Cuisinart utensils
Breville Rice Cooker - MSRP $100, paid $40
KitchenAid cookware - MSRP $40-50, paid $10-15
Even major appliances like my dishwasher and refrigerator/freezer were bought as displays or returns at significant savings.

etc. etc.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 02:28 PM
My mother bought me a pressure cooker when I got married among other things---but I NEVER used it. She told me if I did not use it right it would blow-up. So I never used it because that scared the shit out out of me. When I get busy in the kitchen I don't always pay attention to all areas.

Other Oxo tools: my egg beater. So I only have 3 Oxo's. My digital scale, mango cutter and egg beaters.

Old models could if they don't have a good pressure release, but newer models have that built in and are pretty fool proof (as far as safety is concerned).

Especially for stock making, I can't imaging using anything else. I'll put 4-6 quarts of homemade chicken jelly (stock with lots of collagen) in the freezer for any time I want to bump something up. I use boxed broth most of the time, but whenever I do something where the stock will really shine, like soup or risotto, I'll pull the homemade stuff out.

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 02:28 PM
:doh!: Totally spaced on my pressure cookers. One 6-quart that I use for meals, one 10-quart that I use for stock and the occasional canning session.

Ain't no corned beef and cabbage like pressure cooked corned beef and cabbage.

Great for speeding up dried beans too.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:29 PM
My family spends a lot of time at flea markets, outlet stores, unclaimed freight, closeout aisles in big box stores, etc. Just have to be prepared for what you find.

Hoyl Crap! Mine was a gift but I know it sold for $250.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Old models could if they don't have a good pressure release, but newer models have that built in and are pretty fool proof (as far as safety is concerned).

Especially for stock making, I can't imaging using anything else. I'll put 4-6 quarts of homemade chicken jelly (stock with lots of collagen) in the freezer for any time I want to bump something up. I use boxed broth most of the time, but whenever I do something where the stock will really shine, like soup or risotto, I'll pull the homemade stuff out.

This wasn't as old as hers. It was newer so maybe she didn't know. It was also aluminum and I won't cook using any aluminum. I think I gave it away a few years back. If I could get over the fear of using it, I know it's a great kitchen tool.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 02:30 PM

Kenmore Combi-oven - MSRP $350, paid $90
B&D can opener - MSRP $350, paid $1, yes $1.
Cuisipro utensils - MSRP $15-20, paid $3-5
same for various KitchenAid and Cuisinart utensils
Breville Rice Cooker - MSRP $100, paid $40
KitchenAid cookware - MSRP $40-50, paid $10-15
Even major appliances like my dishwasher and refrigerator/freezer were bought as displays or returns at significant savings.

etc. etc.

I do the same with appliances. My stand mixer is a factory refurb, my dishwasher, refrigerator, microwave, and range are all displays or returns. Plus, with the range, we got a nice $300 rebate for switching from electric to gas.

I just don't generally have the patience for smaller stuff. And I hate going to big box stores. :)

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 02:31 PM
This wasn't as old as hers. It was also aluminum and I won't cook using any aluminum.

Aluminum is only good for canning, if you ask me. Mine are stainless.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:32 PM
I do the same with appliances. My stand mixer is a factory refurb, my dishwasher, refrigerator, microwave, and range are all displays or returns. Plus, with the range, we got a nice $300 rebate for switching from electric to gas.

I just don't generally have the patience for smaller stuff. And I hate going to big box stores. :)

I'd like to know how you pulled that one off. I would love to switch to gas.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:33 PM
Aluminum is only good for canning, if you ask me. Mine are stainless.

Why is it good for canning? ( Canning is something I am interested in learning about next.)

I don't use it because it's not healthy and gets into the body.
My cooking sheets are, but I use parchment paper on top of those.

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 02:33 PM

I also got the Cuisinart stainless steel burr grind coffee maker for $50

http://www.bestgrindandbrewcoffeemakerz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/41r7brUU2iL.jpg

And my two Cuisinart Waffle Makers for next to nothing.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71Q5PJolXnL._SL1387_.jpg

http://momsneedtoknow.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Cuisinart-waffle-maker.jpg

This is a place where quality makes a difference, only waffle makes I ever had that NEVER stick.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Also, how to get a factory refurbished stand mixer.

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 02:34 PM
Why is it good for canning? ( Canning is something I am interested in learning about next.)

I don't use it because it's not healthy and gets into the body.
My cooking sheets are, but I use parchment paper on top of those.

Because the food is inside the jars, the cooker only provides pressure to seal the jars.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 02:35 PM
I'd like to know how you pulled that one off. I would love to switch to gas.

It was a rebate from the gas company for the switch. Most gas companies also offer similar rebates for switching other appliances from electric to gas.

We had to have a certified gas plumber come take our line from one side of the house up the side, into our attic, and down an inside wall. It wasn't cheap, but wasn't as expensive as I'd anticipated.

BucEyedPea
I also got the Cuisinart stainless steel burr grind coffee maker for $50

http://www.bestgrindandbrewcoffeemakerz.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/41r7brUU2iL.jpg

How do the beans grind in that? Does it turn on separately or is it all turn-key?

I use a auto hand grinder but it only does small batches.

Fire Me Boy!
Because the food is inside the jars, the cooker only provides pressure to seal the jars.

This. The water and aluminum never make contact with the food.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:37 PM

Oh. That should be fine then.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 02:38 PM
Also, how to get a factory refurbished stand mixer.

Just search on eBay or Amazon. I got mine on eBay. Couldn't tell you how much I paid, but I remember it being significantly cheaper than new. I bought it probably 6-7 years ago, and it still runs like it's new.

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 02:43 PM
How do the beans grind in that? Does it turn on separately or is it all turn-key?

I use a auto hand grinder but it only does small batches.

It's turnkey. You have the option to grind or not, depending on if you're using beans from the hopper or putting grinds directly into the filter. Either can be programmed to start on it's own at a set time, ie wake up to the smell of coffee.

The grinder is like the grain mill design

One wheel is grooved and the other flat, and when they rotate across each other, the ground coffee is expelled to the outside with uniform grounds.

This pic is a stone grain wheel set, imagine a smaller carbon steel set inside the maker.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6831/wondermill.jpg

There is a cheaper type that has like a food processor blade at the bottom and a grate on one side where the grounds are expelled to the filter.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:44 PM
Thanks.

Does anyone have a second refrigerator? I do. I got that used for a steal but it's an energy hog. I only turn it on around holidays when I need the extra space to brine my turkey and for company. It holds lots of extra beer and other drinks as well as food. Plus it has a good size freezer to hold bags of ice and child my cookie dough when I make Christmas cookies. ( <--not so much with the kid gone now though)

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 02:47 PM
It's turnkey. You have the option to grind or not, depending on if you're using beans from the hopper or putting grinds directly into the filter. Either can be programmed to start on it's own at a set time, ie wake up to the smell of coffee.

The grinder is like the grain mill design.
Hmmm, that could save me a lot of time. Tell me tho', is the coffee hot?

I mean "HOT"--not just regular hot. I find most coffee makers do not make coffee hot enough. It's annoying to me.

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 02:51 PM
Hmmm, that could save me a lot of time. Tell me tho', is the coffee hot?

I mean "HOT"--not just regular hot. I find most coffee makers do not make coffee hot enough. It's annoying to me.

It's a vacuum insulated carafe, with the heating element under, so it's as hot as the unit is going to get, and relatively insulated from the air around to keep it fresh, until the unit shuts itself off 2 hours later. Then it's basically like having coffee in a Thermos.

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 02:54 PM
Thanks.

Does anyone have a second refrigerator? I do. I got that used for a steal but it's an energy hog. I only turn it on around holidays when I need the extra space to brine my turkey and for company. It holds lots of extra beer and other drinks as well as food. Plus it has a good size freezer to hold bags of ice and child my cookie dough when I make Christmas cookies. ( <--not so much with the kid gone now though)

I do, it came with the house. But it has a wonky power supply, and I lost a freezer full a few years back, so it only gets ice, real cheap freezer overflow, or veggies.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 03:06 PM
Thanks.

I used to but don't now. When I was renting in Myrtle Beach, the unit came with a fridge, but we moved with a better one. Ours went in the kitchen for everyday use, theirs went in the Carolina room as a spare. Mostly used as a beer fridge (I brewed my own at the time), but also when I needed extra room.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Thanks.

Two refrigerators and an extra freezer. The second fridge was a top quality Amana that I got for free because some guy was getting married and they were combining households. The extra freezer is a huge chest freezer was 50 bucks.

This lets us stock up on sales, and we don't have to go upstairs/downstairs to get basics.

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 03:25 PM
Two refrigerators and an extra freezer. The second fridge was a top quality Amana that I got for free because some guy was getting married and they were combining households. The extra freezer is a huge chest freezer was 50 bucks.

This lets us stock up on sales, and we don't have to go upstairs/downstairs to get basics.

My parents have 3 upstairs combi-units, a garage combi, and 2 basement freezers, one standing, the other chest. Basically, if a refrig/freezer goes wonky or goes out of style, pops is there to take it off their hands and either fix it or put it to use. Only the main one in the kitchen is less than 10-15yo.

Buehler445
06-21-2014, 04:26 PM

Traeger bacon owns. I contemplated buying a Traeger just for bacon.

Beside my stove I have a large ceramic pot from Pottery Barn full of wooden utensils from pasta forks, to different kinds of spatulas, as well as: a soup ladle, sauce ladle, wire whisks, metal and plastic spatulas, spice grater, tongs. In the smaller one next to it I have smaller whisks, various size baking spatulas etc.

I have two colanders, and various size sieves, cheese cloths and flour cloths, Pizza cutters, pastry cutters, melon ballers, various size scoops for ice cream or making cookies, pizza wheels, apple slicer, grapefruit knives, Muddler, Shaker for making drinks.

My copper pans hang in my kitchen but I don't use those. They're from Crate n' Barrel that I got for my wedding. I cook with my Caphalon Tri-Ply Copper pans from Crate n' Barrel which have had it. I also have the heavy gourmet Tramontina saucepans, fryers and dutch ovens in two large sizes; an Asparagus Steamer (stainless steel), a Wok, Crepe pan, Fondue set, Juicer, Nutribullet, Ice Cream maker ( which I never used),Sunbeam Stand-up Mixer, Blender, Expresso/Latte/Cappuccino machine ( which sucks), Pizza stone, 4 Lodge cast iron pans in 4 sizes, Corningware sets from large to individual serving sizes, ceramic pie pans in different diameters and depths, large Trifle bowl ( used once) and lots of mixing bowls from Rosti melamine from Denmark, to my large set of glass bowls for Mise en Place.

I have a large marble slab, that I got from a quarry that I got for making custom lolliops when my kid was little for theme parties. Cookies sheets, large popover pan, Madeleine pan, racks for cooling baked goods, muffin top pan, cupcake/muffin pans in regular and mini size, several bundt pans in regular cake size and mini bundts, regular cake pans in square, round, loaf shapes, pastry tart pan, spring foam cake pans, Teddy Bear 3D shaped pan, Lamb 3D shaped pan, Small Snowman pans, Jack-O--Lantern pan, Angel Food cake pan, all kinds of pastry tips, bags for decorating along with Luster Dust, silver, gold, multi colored metallic dragees, white pearl dragees in regular and small sizes, all kinds of sprinkles, sanding sugar, larger sparkling sugar.

I'm sure I'm missing something. I'll let you know--like I said I am a kitchen supply junkie and I still want more stuff.

My mom has an r2d2 pan she used to make me cakes with when I was a kid. It was awesome. She had a whole pile of junk like that she got from a subscription deal but I always wanted r2d2.

Thanks.

I want one. I had a vhance go buy a giant bastard that was part of a fancy set that was a built in the wall refrigerator freezer. Well, the fridge had a scratch so they had to get a different one. It was crazy mice and like 28 cu ft. I wish id have bought it and put it in my garage.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 04:27 PM
My mom has an r2d2 pan she used to make me cakes with when I was a kid. It was awesome. She had a whole pile of junk like that she got from a subscription deal but I always wanted r2d2.

My mom had that pan, too! She also had a tall Garfield one.

Buehler445
06-21-2014, 04:28 PM
I do have a freezer in the garage

Buehler445
06-21-2014, 04:31 PM
My mom had that pan, too! She also had a tall Garfield one.

It was probably the same set. I think she said it was a subscription or something. I remember a garfield and I think a my little pony. We cleaned out the basement when they moved to town and my god she had a bunch of them. Then I felt like a real dick for wanting r2d2 all the time.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 04:32 PM
It was probably the same set. I think she said it was a subscription or something. I remember a garfield and I think a my little pony. We cleaned out the basement when they moved to town and my god she had a bunch of them. Then I felt like a real dick for wanting r2d2 all the time.

I don't THINK Mom subscribed to anything, but she bought pans from Wilton. So I'd bet they at least came from the same place.

Buehler445
06-21-2014, 04:34 PM
I've been wanting to buy a stock pot for awhile. What should I be looking for?

srvy
06-21-2014, 04:46 PM
My wife love her Zojirushi Neuro Fuzzy Rice Cooker. I like it to its very handy.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41kd4NRS4aL._SY300_.jpg

jspchief
06-21-2014, 06:44 PM
Has anyone used a coffee grinder or pepper mill for grinding dried spices? I'd like something that gets finer texture than mortar and pestle.

Fire Me Boy!
06-21-2014, 06:50 PM
Has anyone used a coffee grinder or pepper mill for grinding dried spices? I'd like something that gets finer texture than mortar and pestle.

I use a burr grinder for my spices. I also have a small blade coffee grinder for smaller jobs. It's important to have one dedicated to spices and not shared with coffee beans (unless you want your coffee tasting like cumin).

These are what I have:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/22/bepy6enu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/22/y2u6u6e7.jpg

jspchief
06-21-2014, 06:52 PM
I use a burr grinder for my spices. I also have a small blade coffee grinder for smaller jobs. It's important to have one dedicated to spices and not shared with coffee beans (unless you want your coffee tasting like cumin).

These are what I have:

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/22/bepy6enu.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/22/y2u6u6e7.jpg
Yeah I was looking at small coffee grinders for dedicated spice use. I don't need anything too big.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2014, 07:14 PM

I use a coffee grinder, and it works fine. I make a lot of 10 spice powder with if. You just have to make sure you clean it out well afterwards.

Baby Lee
06-21-2014, 07:16 PM
I use a coffee grinder, and it works fine. I make a lot of 10 spice powder with if. You just have to make sure you clean it out well afterwards.

Fine to go cheapo, but might try to find a stainless steel bowl. Many are plastic, and the spice oils can prove hard to get out if you are using it for multiple spices.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 09:36 PM
I don't THINK Mom subscribed to anything, but she bought pans from Wilton. So I'd bet they at least came from the same place.

Yeah, the one's listed were Wilton, except for the Easte lamb cake pan, which I ordered from Martha Stewart. 'Cept I carved that one down to turn it into a Unicorn for a Birthday Fantasy party. Never used it ever again. It was heavy gauge too.

I did a lot of themed Birthday parties for years for my daughter, including making lollipops to match and all.

BucEyedPea
06-21-2014, 09:39 PM

Geezaz! Does the electric bill wipe out the savings from the sale?

I had a neighbor move and offered hers for free. I could kick myself for saying no. I just don't have room in my garage.

srvy
06-25-2014, 08:14 PM
I believe it was this thread someone said they would like to get a Kitchenaid pro mixer and a nice price?

Hard to beat this one if your in the market.
http://deals.ebay.com/5001326498_KitchenAid_Professional_5__Plus_Series_5_Quart_Bowl_Lift_Stand_Mixer?afepn=5335869999&afepn=5335869999

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 05:45 AM

The grinder is like the grain mill design

One wheel is grooved and the other flat, and when they rotate across each other, the ground coffee is expelled to the outside with uniform grounds.

This pic is a stone grain wheel set, imagine a smaller carbon steel set inside the maker.

http://img9.imageshack.us/img9/6831/wondermill.jpg

There is a cheaper type that has like a food processor blade at the bottom and a grate on one side where the grounds are expelled to the filter.

I bet that bundt cake would really make you go poo! Looks so solid!

Fire Me Boy!
06-26-2014, 07:48 AM
I believe it was this thread someone said they would like to get a Kitchenaid pro mixer and a nice price?

Hard to beat this one if your in the market.
http://deals.ebay.com/5001326498_KitchenAid_Professional_5__Plus_Series_5_Quart_Bowl_Lift_Stand_Mixer?afepn=5335869999&afepn=5335869999

That's a good price. If you really need a mixer and have the cash, I'd highly recommend the 6-quart. I like the extra weight and slightly bigger bowl a lot, especially when you're mixing anything that can cause the mixer to move (like kneading a bread dough).

Saccopoo
06-29-2014, 05:53 PM
Some stuff...

TimBone
06-29-2014, 05:57 PM
Bought me a ninja. yep.

Fire Me Boy!
06-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Some stuff...

Nice stuff! The cleaver and the gyuto on the far right... makers? The gyuto looks a lot like Watanabe Blades. That cleaver looks a lot like my Tojiro.

Fire Me Boy!
06-29-2014, 05:58 PM
Bought me a ninja. yep.

Dude, that's so not cool. Reported.

TimBone
06-29-2014, 06:07 PM
Dude, that's so not cool. Reported.

I know, man. I don't use my blender enough to justify the vitamix purchase, though. Hell, I was even looking for a fifty dollar bill in the Ninja box when I opened it.

Saccopoo
06-29-2014, 08:07 PM
Nice stuff! The cleaver and the gyuto on the far right... makers? The gyuto looks a lot like Watanabe Blades. That cleaver looks a lot like my Tojiro.

The cleaver is a CCK.

Sharp as hell. I don't know what steel they use on it, but it takes an absolute wicked edge. Terrifying level - as in it will take the top of your finger off and you wouldn't even know it until it's lying on the board in front of you. (Although, I have all of my knives that sharp. I'll take most of them to a minimum of an 8k grind on a Shapton glass stone. Some I'll go to a 16k + strop if I want to get completely silly, but 8k-10k is really as high as you need to go for functional top end sharpness.)

The gyuto is a 240 Goko in a White #1 core clad in a stainless kurouchi type finish. Jury is still out on it. I find it wedging a bit more than I'd like, though I was looking for a heavier 240 versus my 240 Miyabi 7000MC gyuto that's also pictured, so that was to be expected anyway.

Just Passin' By
06-29-2014, 08:12 PM
Given tonight's meal, I should add the following:

Lobster pot
Lobster/nut crackers
lobster/crab forks

Baby Lee
06-29-2014, 08:50 PM
I know, man. I don't use my blender enough to justify the vitamix purchase, though. Hell, I was even looking for a fifty dollar bill in the Ninja box when I opened it.

There was a poster you may not be familiar with who was banned for making clear he was using 'ninja' as code. FMBall was making a funny.

TimBone
06-29-2014, 09:12 PM
There was a poster you may not be familiar with who was banned for making clear he was using 'ninja' as code. FMBall was making a funny.

lol!! Oh golly. Houstonwhodat. I knew all about that. Still went right over my head.

I assumed he was giving me a hard time because I got the Ninja(raceless blender) instead of the Vitamix. I remembered him debating the two in a previous thread(a thread started by houstonwhodat, coincidentally).

Buehler445
06-29-2014, 09:46 PM
WTF did Houstonwhodat do?

Fire Me Boy!
06-30-2014, 04:31 AM

lol!! Oh golly. Houstonwhodat. I knew all about that. Still went right over my head.

I assumed he was giving me a hard time because I got the Ninja(raceless blender) instead of the Vitamix. I remembered him debating the two in a previous thread(a thread started by houstonwhodat, coincidentally).

ROFL ROFL

Frosty
06-30-2014, 11:52 AM

http://newseawin.com/dev/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Rufina-Fish-Sauce-300x300.jpg

We also use Squid brand quite a bit.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-daQt0AMAMBs/UFfqLnwWfYI/AAAAAAAAAhk/uxHDrGD36yg/s1600/fish+sauce.jpg

As for kitchen gadgets, we have a Kitchenaid stand mixer that was my grandparents'. Based on the color (avocado green), I'm guessing they bought it in the early '70's.

My wife uses it a lot and considers it indispensable. Since it was so old, we jumped on a Kitchenaid Pro Black Friday deal several years ago. We got it home and found it was about an inch too tall to fit under our cabinets, :doh!: so it's still sitting in it's box. Fortunately, the green machine is still pluggin' along.

Also, since I am starting to cook a lot more with beans, I want to get a pressure cooker but haven't figured out what I want yet. They get expensive fast.

tooge
06-30-2014, 12:03 PM
Some stuff...

Wow, nice. I will point out however that will all the jack you've spend on all those knives, you couldv'e had some new carpet. Maybe even some that matched.

Buehler445
06-30-2014, 12:20 PM
http://newseawin.com/dev/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Rufina-Fish-Sauce-300x300.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-daQt0AMAMBs/UFfqLnwWfYI/AAAAAAAAAhk/uxHDrGD36yg/s1600/fish+sauce.jpg

As for kitchen gadgets, we have a Kitchenaid stand mixer that was my grandparents'. Based on the color (avocado green), I'm guessing they bought it in the early '70's.

My wife uses it a lot and considers it indispensable. Since it was so old, we jumped on a Kitchenaid Pro Black Friday deal several years ago. We got it home and found it was about an inch too tall to fit under our cabinets, :doh!: so it's still sitting in it's box. Fortunately, the green machine is still pluggin' along.

Also, since I am starting to cook a lot more with beans, I want to get a pressure cooker but haven't figured out what I want yet. They get expensive fast.

Coincidentally my mom has an avacado green pressure cooker.

Frosty
06-30-2014, 12:21 PM
Coincidentally my mom has an avacado green pressure cooker.

Damn. I could have a matching set.

srvy
06-30-2014, 12:25 PM

That is the fish Sauce my wife uses. That kicks up anything good stuff.

Baby Lee
06-30-2014, 12:50 PM
That is the fish Sauce my wife uses. That kicks up anything good stuff.

Got a good deal on Thai Kitchen Premium. Picked up 5 or so bottles.

http://villagefarmgrocery.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/image/34cbcb55cdc7f11f2af756fd8a287707/t/h/thai_kitchen_premium_fish_sauce_7oz_1.jpg

That reminds me, referring back to another thread, fish sauce is AWESOME to cook brussels sprouts in.

Also a great component in any beef marinade for Asian flair. Fish, soy, sugar and cayenne make some awesome beef strip marinade for serving over rice.

http://mimithorisson.com/2012/05/08/crying-tiger-char-grilled-beef/

http://mimithorisson.wpengine.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/05/shout1.jpg?w=807

Fire Me Boy!
06-30-2014, 12:51 PM

If you want any input, I went through a ton of research about a year ago myself.

Frosty
06-30-2014, 12:54 PM
If you want any input, I went through a ton of research about a year ago myself.

Sure. that would be great.

Frosty
06-30-2014, 01:03 PM
Also a great component in any beef marinade for Asian flair. Fish, soy, sugar and cayenne make some awesome beef strip marinade for serving over rice.

We like to buy a tri tip roast and cut it into 1.5" thick steaks. We then marinate the steaks in a mix of peanut oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, pepper and lemongrass for 24 hours and grill 'en up after that. They are amazing.

BucEyedPea
06-30-2014, 01:08 PM
We like to buy a tri tip roast and cut it into 1.5" thick steaks. We then marinate the steaks in a mix of peanut oil, soy sauce, fish sauce, pepper and lemongrass for 24 hours and grill 'en up after that. They are amazing.

Hmm...sounds good. Gonna try that.

Fire Me Boy!
06-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Sure. that would be great.

I ended up buying the Fagor Duo 10-quart. I also have a Presto 6-quart that I use occasionally, but I prefer the 10-quart overall.

First, I'd lok for something that can support two levels of pressure - standards are 15 psi and (IIRC) 8 psi.

Second, size matters. You can't fill a pressure cooker all the way, you'll only be able to go about 2/3 full with anything. And there's no problem with only filling it a little. So make sure you don't get too small - I wouldn't consider anything smaller than 6 quarts.

Look for one with straight sides and a good, thick bottom. A lot of them have a kind of bell shape to them. Those are bad about scorching since heat can travel up around that bell shape. My Presto is like that, and while I use it occasionally, I pretty much only use it for soups or stews. And it does tend to scorch.

BucEyedPea
06-30-2014, 01:09 PM
Gadgets. Now a cooking ingredient. Guess the bottles are.

Frosty
06-30-2014, 01:24 PM
I ended up buying the pillowbiteror Duo 10-quart. I also have a Presto 6-quart that I use occasionally, but I prefer the 10-quart overall.

First, I'd lok for something that can support two levels of pressure - standards are 15 psi and (IIRC) 8 psi.

Second, size matters. You can't fill a pressure cooker all the way, you'll only be able to go about 2/3 full with anything. And there's no problem with only filling it a little. So make sure you don't get too small - I wouldn't consider anything smaller than 6 quarts.

Look for one with straight sides and a good, thick bottom. A lot of them have a kind of bell shape to them. Those are bad about scorching since heat can travel up around that bell shape. My Presto is like that, and while I use it occasionally, I pretty much only use it for soups or stews. And it does tend to scorch.

Thanks. I was thinking a 6 - 8 quart model, so added the 8 quart F.agor Duo to my wishlist. Now I just have to convince the wife that spending $100 for another pan would be a good idea. :)

Fire Me Boy!
06-30-2014, 01:30 PM
Thanks. I was thinking a 6 - 8 quart model, so added the 8 quart F.agor Duo to my wishlist. Now I just have to convince the wife that spending $100 for another pan would be a good idea. :)

I think that 8-quart Fagor Duo is Test Kitchen's best buy.

tooge
06-30-2014, 01:49 PM

Ya know, we ought to have a food thread on this site.

Beef Supreme
06-30-2014, 01:54 PM

Or a mullet thread. Either way, it's a win win.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0cnXYhlBk1k/RtLI0hSGdnI/AAAAAAAAAuM/HlYQcHNu6LI/s400/doctor+mullet.jpg

Frosty
06-30-2014, 02:01 PM

Baby Lee started it. :harumph:

Baby Lee
06-30-2014, 02:02 PM
Baby Lee started it. :harumph:

srvy started it!!

ptlyon
06-30-2014, 02:07 PM
Don't have time to look thru this entire thread.

Can somebody point me to the portion of the thread that discusses the best utensils to perform The Aunt Jamiama treatment?

TIA

Fire Me Boy!
06-30-2014, 02:08 PM
Don't have time to look thru this entire thread.

Can somebody point me to the portion of the thread that discusses the best utensils to perform The Aunt Jamiama treatment?

TIA

http://chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284700

ptlyon
06-30-2014, 02:09 PM
Damn, that was fast!

Phobia
06-30-2014, 03:16 PM
I got some ceramic knives for father's day. They're awesome and don't require nearly as much maintenance as my expensive traditional blades.

Just Passin' By
06-30-2014, 03:53 PM

It depends on whether you're looking for Thai or Vietnamese.

Thai:

http://importfood.com/media/sagb2401_2l.jpg

Golden Boy

Vietnamese:

http://impexco.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Three-Crabs-Brand-Fish-Sauce1.jpg

Three Crabs

Dinny Bossa Nova
06-30-2014, 06:20 PM
I just started attempting to make a good cheesecake. Any recommendations for a spring form pan? I like to use a water bath, so leak-proof would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.

TIA
Dinny

Buzz
06-30-2014, 09:00 PM
Dexter stainless steal spatula and 12" lodge cast iron pan that I sanded smooth and re-seasoned per CP thread.

Fire Me Boy!
07-01-2014, 05:04 AM
Dexter stainless steal spatula and 12" lodge cast iron pan that I sanded smooth and re-seasoned per CP thread.

Which one? The flaxseed oil method?

Saccopoo
07-01-2014, 11:33 AM

I've been thinking about picking up a nickel plated cast iron skillet for a couple of years now.

srvy
07-01-2014, 12:29 PM
It depends on whether you're looking for Thai or Vietnamese.

Thai:
http://importfood.com/media/sagb2401_2l.jpg

Golden Boy

Vietnamese:

http://impexco.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/Three-Crabs-Brand-Fish-Sauce1.jpg

Three Crabs

I will look for those. Below is an assortment I got at the viet market. they were 1.19 each good to try out.
http://www.theaudioannex.com/forum/download/file.php?id=4281&t=1

This one is more expensive about 7.50 a bottle. Very versatile.
http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/12d/a/AAAAC_8SsWEAAAAAAS2k6A.jpg?v=1298049199000

Frosty
07-01-2014, 01:37 PM
I will look for those. Below is an assortment I got at the viet market. they were 1.19 each good to try out.
http://www.theaudioannex.com/forum/download/file.php?id=4281&t=1

This one is more expensive about 7.50 a bottle. Very versatile.
http://www.kaboodle.com/hi/img/b/0/0/12d/a/AAAAC_8SsWEAAAAAAS2k6A.jpg?v=1298049199000

We get our fish sauce exclusively at Asian markets and I won't buy any that has added sugar. It should just be fermented fish (usually anchovies) and salt. It's usually about 2 bucks for a big bottle.

Buzz
07-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Which one? The flaxseed oil method?

Oil, cooking spray, bacon grease, you name it, I tried it, everything but flaxseed. Never got around to picking some up.

Oh, and that's a nasty process, I did it in my garage with power sanding and hand sanding. The coating got everywhere. I had to clay bar my truck to get that stuff off.

As for the pan, I thought I would never get that thing seasoned again. I was going to contact the manufacture to see if they would re-season it and send it back to me. Finally said heck with it and if food stuck I would scrap it off with the spatula and wipe it out, after over a year and a half it's starting to work pretty well.

Fire Me Boy!
07-01-2014, 05:52 PM
Oil, cooking spray, bacon grease, you name it, I tried it, everything but flaxseed. Never got around to picking some up.

Oh, and that's a nasty process, I did it in my garage with power sanding and hand sanding. The coating got everywhere. I had to clay bar my truck to get that stuff off.

As for the pan, I thought I would never get that thing seasoned again. I was going to contact the manufacture to see if they would re-season it and send it back to me. Finally said heck with it and if food stuck I would scrap it off with the spatula and wipe it out, after over a year and a half it's starting to work pretty well.

Raw iron, a few rounds of flaxseed would have been amazing.

Buzz
07-01-2014, 06:06 PM
Here is my grill, converted a burnt out gas grill to charcoal. Welded a flower pot stand to an iron plate, bolted the grill to it and buried it in the ground. The charcoal pan is from the back rest of an old 70's lounge chair with handles welded to it. I like to tinker. :D

Fire Me Boy!
07-02-2014, 06:24 AM

I wish I had the skills/tools to do that. I'm happy with most of my CI anyway, but I've got a couple pieces that I've put a ton of work into to get in their current condition. Would have been nice to sand away some of those rough edges and start out with a better pan.

Simply Red
07-02-2014, 06:34 AM
I poo poop I never knew existed.

http://i.imgur.com/prpEPSB.jpg

Fire Me Boy!
07-02-2014, 06:36 AM
I poo poop I never knew existed.

http://i.imgur.com/prpEPSB.jpg

I prefer whole, but yeah... good stuff right there.