PDA

View Full Version : News Leawood humiliates itself

KCChiefsFan88
06-21-2014, 10:11 AM
Leawood man faces citation for putting Little Free Library in his front yard

http://pvpost.com/2014/06/18/leawood-man-faces-citation-for-putting-little-free-library-in-his-front-yard-28711

A north Leawood man will have to decide today whether to remove a Little Free Library he recently installed in his front yard — or face a citation from the city.

Brian Collins, who lives near the intersection of 89th Street and Ensley Lane, installed a Little Free Library his father-in-law had given his wife for her birthday around three weeks ago. Collins went out of town for a few days last week, and when he arrived home, he found a letter from the city’s codes enforcement officer informing him that the Little Free Library was not permitted under city code because it was a “detached structure” and that he had until June 19 to come into compliance.

“Your take a book leave a book structure must be attached to the house,” the letter read.

Collins emailed Leawood Mayor Peggy Dunn about the issue, and requested that the city consider amending the municipal code to allow Little Free Libraries. Dunn referred the matter to City Administrator Scott Lambers, who responded with an email saying that the detached structure ordinance was “a common prohibition for cities.”

“I would suggest that citizens who are interested in this endeavor contact the Johnson County Library to see if this is an activity that the Library would permit to occur on their premises,” Lambers wrote.

That response irked Collins, who pointed out that the whole point of the Little Free Libraries was that they were right in their neighborhoods and easily accessible from the street.

“If it’s attached to the house, people aren’t going to come to it,” he said. “And why would you put a Little Free Library at a big library?”

Collins said he hasn’t made a final decision about whether to pull his LFL or not. He said he thinks he’s “ready to be cited. I’m ready to take it to court.”

“We’ve gotten so much positive response to it since we put it out,” he said. “The neighbors love it. If I lived three blocks to the north [in Prairie Village], this wouldn’t be an issue.”

http://pvpost.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/unnamed6.jpg

Dave Lane
06-21-2014, 10:13 AM
Its stupid, and I live here and have for 30+ years, Retarded actually.

notorious
06-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Yep.

Losers with too much time live for stuff like this.

KCChiefsFan88
06-21-2014, 10:16 AM
Common sense is dead.

TLO
06-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Wow.

Dave Lane
06-21-2014, 10:20 AM
Just sent this little quick email to the Mayor.

Really, really this is a code issue? I've lived in Leawood since Jimmy Carter was president and I have to say without hesitation this is the worst and silliest decision I have had the misfortune to see Leawood make in my residency.

I hope common sense and decency will in the end rule the day. Nothing is more important than the encouraging of reading in children. Nothing.

Perineum Ripper
06-21-2014, 10:22 AM
This is ridiculous..how is this causing a problem for the city..if the guy had a sign in his yard that said "Free candy..only 10 and under permitted" I could see a problem

TribalElder
06-21-2014, 10:26 AM
No surprises here. Lea wood much like Overland Park suffer from the same Whiney bitch syndrome and stuff like this just reflects that

Sure-Oz
06-21-2014, 10:28 AM
So FUCKING stupid.

Saccopoo
06-21-2014, 10:30 AM
Fuck that dude.

They allow that bullshit "little free library" crap and the next thing is a burned out '71 bondo Nova, a stack of used tires and a rusted fifth wheel camper in everyone's front yard.

There is a reason for codes prohibiting hillybilly dumpster shit like this in peoples front yards.

Cite that guy. Shit. Put that eyesore creating dillhole into prison for a couple of months to serve as an example for anyone else who is willing to destroy the moral fabric of an upstanding neighborhood.

BlackHelicopters
06-21-2014, 10:32 AM
Unreal

Zebedee DuBois
06-21-2014, 10:34 AM
Would a mail box be an 'unattached structure'?

KCChiefsFan88
06-21-2014, 10:36 AM
The government of Leawood's collective brain is clearly an unattached structure.

gblowfish
06-21-2014, 10:37 AM
They're afraid people from Jackson County will come over to use their library.

salame
06-21-2014, 10:38 AM
where do most people that live in Overland Park work?

Deberg_1990
06-21-2014, 10:40 AM
It's an ugly nuisance. The city is right.

Bowser
06-21-2014, 10:41 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ufWMFLjvDTQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

displacedinMN
06-21-2014, 11:42 AM
I saw this on the news.

Failure on the part of the city. The kid wanted to do 'something' to keep busy.
Better this than video games or sitting on a forum somewhere.

How this plays out:

Kid gets mad and despondent after being rejected for doing a good deed.
Locks him self in a room with video games and hot cheetos
Never sets foot outside the rest of the summer.

Rausch
06-21-2014, 11:59 AM
I saw this on the news.

Failure on the part of the city. The kid wanted to do 'something' to keep busy.
Better this than video games or sitting on a forum somewhere.

How this plays out:

Kid gets mad and despondent after being rejected for doing a good deed.
Locks him self in a room with video games and hot cheetos
Never sets foot outside the rest of the summer.

Or he's Jesse fucking Pinkman and learns early his creativity lands him nowhere...

58-4ever
06-21-2014, 12:01 PM

I work in downtown KC. What's your point?

journeyscarab
06-21-2014, 01:37 PM

Downtown KC.

Dave Lane
06-21-2014, 02:05 PM
Mayor says:

Dear Mr. Lane,

This matter will be discussed at our next City Council meeting on July 7. I am hopeful and expecting a resolution to this issue.

Thank you.

Peggy Dunn

GloucesterChief
06-21-2014, 02:07 PM
It's an ugly nuisance. The city is right.

Does the city have a contract with the landowner saying that the landowner cannot build something like this on the landowner's private property?

If not the city shouldn't be able to do anything about it.

jspchief
06-21-2014, 02:16 PM
Does the city have a contract with the landowner saying that the landowner cannot build something like this on the landowner's private property?

If not the city shouldn't be able to do anything about it.
Apparently you don't understand the concept of city ordinances.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2014, 02:19 PM
Another great example of why we need to bring back tar and feathering.

GloucesterChief
06-21-2014, 02:23 PM
Apparently you don't understand the concept of city ordinances.

I understand city ordinances just fine. I believe that they are a violation of private property rights though and at least a taking on behalf of the city government.

You want to have some say over what I can build on my private property? Work out a contract with me. Don't go running to the thugs in government to use violence against me.

cosmo20002
06-21-2014, 02:29 PM
I understand city ordinances just fine. I believe that they are a violation of private property rights though and at least a taking on behalf of the city government.

You want to have some say over what I can build on my private property? Work out a contract with me. Don't go running to the thugs in government to use violence against me.

And if your neighbor decides to turn his yard into a pig farm, you're ok with that I assume.

GloucesterChief
06-21-2014, 02:31 PM
And if your neighbor decides to turn his yard into a pig farm, you're ok with that I assume.

Its their property not mine why should I be able to tell them what they can do with it? I can sell mine to them or someone else or I could make a contract with them in a mutual exchange.

hometeam
06-21-2014, 02:46 PM
The spirit of the ordinance was not to prevent a free book stand.

Truth of the matter is, they should appeal to the city/mayor whoever that it is not a structure, and it is something like a lawn ornament or the like.

tk13
06-21-2014, 02:52 PM

There's quite a gap between a pig farm and a box full of books in someone's yard. That box is most likely not going to create an odor or make noise that could be construed as a nuisance.

Mr. Laz
06-21-2014, 03:02 PM

Ms Dunn ... Peggy Dunn ... is that you?

no common sense at all

Pitt Gorilla
06-21-2014, 03:17 PM
Ms Dunn ... Peggy Dunn ... is that you?

no common sense at allTo be fair, the person responding actually was fine with a pig farm.

cosmo20002
06-21-2014, 03:18 PM
Its their property not mine why should I be able to tell them what they can do with it? I can sell mine to them or someone else or I could make a contract with them in a mutual exchange.

Good luck selling your house located next to a mini-pig farm.

There's good reasons for zoning laws and city ordinances regarding residential property.

cosmo20002
06-21-2014, 03:21 PM
There's quite a gap between a pig farm and a box full of books in someone's yard. That box is most likely not going to create an odor or make noise that could be construed as a nuisance.

I'm not arguing against the box.
GloucesterChief said everyone should be able to do whatever they want with their property, which is ridiculous. I think people who say stuff like that have never had a neighbor. Or, they are the neighbor that everyone fucking hates.

Mr. Laz
06-21-2014, 03:21 PM

There's good reasons for zoning laws and city ordinances regarding residential property.

so if a kid sets up a lemonade stand on the sidewalk they should have to have a business license?

If you go over the speed limit 1 mph you should get the same fine as 50 mph?

If a kid cuts the corner and walks on someone's front lawn the should get charged with trespassing?

laws are laws afterall

Just Passin' By
06-21-2014, 03:22 PM

No, with very few exceptions, there really aren't.

cosmo20002
06-21-2014, 03:25 PM
so if a kid sets up a lemonade stand on the sidewalk they should have to have a business license?

If you go over the speed limit 1 mph you should get the same fine as 50 mph?

If a kid cuts the corner and walks on someone's front lawn the should get charged with trespassing?

laws are laws afterall

I'm not sure where all this is coming from...
Do you think there should be any restrictions on property use? Specifically property in a residential neighborhood? If your answer is yes, then you agree with me.

KCChiefsFan88
06-21-2014, 03:32 PM
Do you think there should be any restrictions on property use? Specifically property in a residential neighborhood? If your answer is yes, then you agree with me.

Isn't that the purpose of a Homeowners Association?

Mr. Laz
06-21-2014, 03:33 PM

common sense

you seems to lack understanding of the concept

jspchief
06-21-2014, 03:36 PM
The spirit of the ordinance was not to prevent a free book stand.

Truth of the matter is, they should appeal to the city/mayor whoever that it is not a structure, and it is something like a lawn ornament or the like.
Your logic and common sense have no place here.

Fairplay
06-21-2014, 03:37 PM
I have to side with cosmo on this one.

jspchief
06-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Really?

jspchief
06-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Isn't that the purpose of a Homeowners Association?
No. It's the purpose of city ordinances. Homeowners associations just take it a step further.

Fairplay
06-21-2014, 03:44 PM

Heh

Dave Lane
06-21-2014, 03:45 PM

Ok that's taking it completely to extreme.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2014, 03:51 PM
Really?

Yes, really.

cosmo20002
06-21-2014, 03:54 PM
common sense

you seems to lack understanding of the concept

Specifically, what exactly did I say that you think is so outrageous?

cosmo20002
06-21-2014, 03:54 PM

You're clueless. Where do you live?

GloryDayz
06-21-2014, 03:59 PM
Books, what a novel concept.

Just like with flagpoles, the city should have a process for requesting an exception, and in this case make an exception. Just like blocking off a street for a block party, it' OK if you ask, but not if you don't. In this case, it's a no-brainer.

Just Passin' By
06-21-2014, 04:00 PM
You're clueless. Where do you live?

You calling others clueless?

Now that's funny shit.

cosmo20002
06-21-2014, 04:02 PM
You calling others clueless?

Now that's funny shit.

Good post.

jspchief
06-21-2014, 05:48 PM
Yes, really.
I could fill pages with the good purposes of zoning and ordinances.

Unless you're a hillbilly, you probably wouldn't like the way towns and cities would look without ordinances keeping the mtg10s of the world from imposing their stupidity on the public.

GloucesterChief
06-21-2014, 06:00 PM

There are reasons. I wouldn't call them good. Like excluding minorities or the poor which historically zoning regulations have done. Artificially inflate land value by restricting the zoning or restricting development. Restricting free speech by sign ordinances.

GloucesterChief
06-21-2014, 06:01 PM

Unless you're a hillbilly, you probably wouldn't like the way towns and cities would look without ordinances keeping the mtg10s of the world from imposing their stupidity on the public.

Yes, that hellhole and horrible looking place called Houston, TX which has no zoning ordinances.

jspchief
06-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Yes, that hellhole and horrible looking place called Houston, TX which has no zoning ordinances.
Well houston is a shit hole for a variety of reasons.

As for the topic of city ordinances, they have lots of them. The same type that might affect someone building a detached structure on their residential property without going through the proper channels.

As for zoning, it's not controlled by the local government, but it is still controlled by private covenants.

cosmo20002
06-21-2014, 06:43 PM

Funny that you only mention "zoning ordinances" without mentioning that they do have extensive and restrictive land use ordinances that preform the same function.

Fairplay
06-21-2014, 06:53 PM
Books, what a novel concept.

Just like with flagpoles, the city should have a process for requesting an exception, and in this case make an exception. Just like blocking off a street for a block party, it' OK if you ask, but not if you don't. In this case, it's a no-brainer.

Dave Lane is going through that process of bringing it to the mayors attention, that is the right process of handling the situation. Apparently many others have done the same thing. That is our democracy in action.

Mr. Laz
06-21-2014, 09:50 PM
Dave Lane is going through that process of bringing it to the mayors attention, that is the right process of handling the situation. Apparently many others have done the same thing. That is our democracy in action.
Dude shouldn't have to ask in this situation.

Unless his Little Library is the size of a delivery truck then it never should have become an issue.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
06-21-2014, 10:47 PM
Michael Sam just called. He said this is the gayest thing he's ever heard.

What's next? Shutting down a kid's lemonade stand for operating without a license? I'm glad I don't live in Johnson Co. anymore.

Sorter
06-21-2014, 10:57 PM

LMAO

Demonpenz
06-21-2014, 11:04 PM
Fuck kids.

Dave Lane
06-22-2014, 07:41 AM
**** that dude.

They allow that bullshit "little free library" crap and the next thing is a burned out '71 bondo Nova, a stack of used tires and a rusted fifth wheel camper in everyone's front yard.

There is a reason for codes prohibiting hillybilly dumpster shit like this in peoples front yards.

Cite that guy. Shit. Put that eyesore creating dillhole into prison for a couple of months to serve as an example for anyone else who is willing to destroy the moral fabric of an upstanding neighborhood.

Just had to quote this because I can't believe its a real response.

bdj23
06-22-2014, 08:48 AM
**** that dude.

I love it when the resident vegan pussy gets all riled up

Demonpenz
06-22-2014, 09:17 AM

What's next? Shutting down a kid's lemonade stand for operating without a license? I'm glad I don't live in Johnson Co. anymore.

your the one mexican trying to get back into mexico.

tecumseh
06-22-2014, 09:55 AM
Common sense is dead.

No. Common sense is alive and well. It's GOOD sense that is lacking in the world.

tecumseh
06-22-2014, 09:58 AM
It's not the free library they sould be worried about... that bench on the otherhand is a lawsuit waiting to happen.

Just Passin' By
06-22-2014, 01:32 PM

All the ordinances in the world haven't stopped you from imposing your stupidity on us right here. If they pass an ordinance barring you from communicating with others and from reproducing, I'll sign on to that one.

jspchief
06-22-2014, 01:40 PM
All the ordinances in the world haven't stopped you from imposing your stupidity on us right here. If they pass an ordinance barring you from communicating with others and from reproducing, I'll sign on to that one.
irony

Cannibal
06-22-2014, 05:43 PM
Bet every book in that "library" has something to do with Jesus.

BullJunkandIron
06-22-2014, 07:11 PM
I heard the Taliban was using that library to pass info in the books to Al Quida.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
06-22-2014, 09:28 PM
your the one mexican trying to get back into mexico.

And YOU'RE the guy who doesn't know your from you're. What does Johnson Co. have to offer besides strip mall after strip mall after strip mall?

Simply Red
06-22-2014, 09:44 PM
**** kids.

ROFL

BullJunkandIron
06-22-2014, 10:09 PM
Burn his house down then he can live in the free library. Problem solved.

cosmo20002
06-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Leawood man faces citation for putting Little Free Library in his front yard

I've had it with this "free library" shit.

"Library" implies "free." If it wasn't free, it wouldn't be a library. It would be a book store. Or at least a book rental place. It's like saying short midget.

Mojo Jojo
06-22-2014, 10:46 PM

Channel 4 had a story last week about a kid operating a lemonade outside his grandfathers restaurant and the OP codes guys stopped and said they needed to look into if the kid would need a license or not. Turns out he didn't, but really they went back to the office to check. :banghead:

BullJunkandIron
06-22-2014, 10:46 PM
Is there any porn in that there "free" library?

Mojo Jojo
06-22-2014, 10:52 PM

Channel 4 had a story last week about a kid operating a lemonade outside his grandfathers restaurant and the OP codes guys stopped and said they needed to look into if the kid would need a license or not. Turns out he didn't, but really they went back to the office to check. :banghead:

cosmo20002
06-22-2014, 10:59 PM

I'm surprised they had to check on that twice. You would think the first time they checked would have been sufficient.

GloryDayz
06-23-2014, 06:55 AM
I've had it with this "free library" shit.

"Library" implies "free." If it wasn't free, it wouldn't be a library. It would be a book store. Or at least a book rental place. It's like saying short midget.

ROFLROFLROFLROFL

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wtfCRaNg5EU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

WhawhaWhat
06-23-2014, 07:00 AM
I'm surprised they had to check on that twice. You would think the first time they checked would have been sufficient.

If he had to check the list twice, we may have figured out Santa's summer job.

htismaqe
06-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Dude shouldn't have to ask in this situation.

Unless his Little Library is the size of a delivery truck then it never should have become an issue.

Yep.

"Detached structure"

ROFL ROFL ROFL

BullJunkandIron
06-23-2014, 08:48 AM
He should build a hallway from the house to the library. Problem solved. Too easy. No longer a detached structure.

Deberg_1990
07-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Little Free Library lovers rejoice!!!

‘Little Free Libraries’ legal in Leawood thanks to 9-year-old Spencer Collins

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/government-politics/article687562.html#storylink=cpy

cosmo20002
07-08-2014, 10:05 PM
"As the moratorium is only a temporary solution, the council also discussed changing the ordinance to allow front-yard libraries and other containers designed to share books or other media with the community."

At first I thought making him take the thing down was dumb, but I've changed my mind. Yeah, no one cares if one kid does it, but who wants this shit all over the place? Put a box on your porch. Put some books in it. Done.

If they want a make it an authentic little library experience, they need to bring in some little homeless folks to loiter around all day and some little pervs to use the free internet for pron.

Rasputin
07-08-2014, 10:16 PM
Maybe they should start a petition to change the laws or vote for people who will change the laws?

KCrockaholic
07-08-2014, 10:17 PM
Heh. I went by this a couple weeks ago during work.

Kansas City Kid
07-09-2014, 08:24 AM
Isn't the actual library we already pay taxes for free anyway? Why do they need these eyesores up all over Leawood or anywhere else?

Sorce
07-09-2014, 10:36 AM
Isn't the actual library we already pay taxes for free anyway? Why do they need these eyesores up all over Leawood or anywhere else?

Because think of the children.

Kansas City Kid
07-09-2014, 12:14 PM
Children aren't allowed in libraries?