PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 2, Heat 59

Rain Man
06-25-2014, 06:46 PM
You know the rules. Vote for your FAVORITE scene from these three:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/OZuUwcl_wT8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sHjlM5A1jME" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/KtwXlIwozog" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

cosmo20002
06-25-2014, 06:48 PM
BAM-- In B mutherfucking 4

jjchieffan
06-25-2014, 06:49 PM
Tough one here. Apollo 13 or Shawshank. Hmm. Gonna have to think about this one for a while

Rain Man
06-25-2014, 06:52 PM
Easy heat for me. My votes:

#1 - Apollo 13. "Failure is not an option." One of the best movie lines ever. Ed Harris leading a crisis never before seen. Technology. Space. Problem-solving. Put a naked woman in this scene and everyone else is playing for second place.

#2 - Office Space. Oswald cracks me up, even when it's just a short throwaway line.

#3 - The Shawshank Redemption. It's a fine scene and Morgan Freeman is always good for a watch, but it's kind of preachy. Hey, Morgan, you're not God in this movie. You're God in that movie with Jim Carrey.

cosmo20002
06-25-2014, 06:53 PM
The inherent weakness of a tournament of scenes is the lack of context. Part of the reason that the Shawshank scene is good is because on Red's previous parole hearings he was very apologetic and humble, and they ended with "REJECT." The contrast with his attitude here, which ends with "Approved" is what makes it good.

jjchieffan
06-25-2014, 06:56 PM
The inherent weakness of a tournament of scenes is the lack of context. Part of the reason that the Shawshank scene is good is because on Red's previous parole hearings he was very apologetic and humble, and they ended with "REJECT." The contrast with his attitude here, which ends with "Approved" is what makes it good.

Yep

Rain Man
06-25-2014, 07:04 PM

Ah, I didn't know that. I saw this movie, but I'm bad at remembering details.

It is indeed a challenge with a movie scene tournament. No matter how hard I try to just look at the scene, it's somewhat hard to separate it from the movie as a whole, and darn near impossible to view it cold if I already know the context.

Fortunately, in my case I've usually forgotten the context even if I saw the movie to start with.

Rain Man
06-25-2014, 07:06 PM
I really hope Apollo 13 takes this heat. That's a monumentally good scene.

Easy 6
06-25-2014, 08:31 PM
Atleast this one is going the right way.

BlackHelicopters
06-26-2014, 08:16 AM
Apollo 13

Old Dog
06-26-2014, 09:04 AM

This

Rain Man
06-26-2014, 06:46 PM
Okay, failure remains a non-option for Apollo 13 as it moves to Round 3.