PDA

View Full Version : Life -- Let's try to discuss variations of the Grilled Cheese Sandwich.

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 09:04 PM
Hey Guys.

Let's see here - There are many roads we can take with this fine creation.

Wonder White+Margarine+Velveeta ???

French Bread+Brie - with fine Cubes of green apples and banana... ?

Texas-Toast with Cheddar???

How about something beyond crazy like colby and raisin bread/toast?? Ever do that one up? I bet not... (Colby cheese isn't that respected on CP - never really has been.) Always pissed me off. Very underrated.

Ok - how about Monterrey Jack and Wheat?

Do you incorporate bacon? How about ham? (Ham is like Colby and never got it's respect here)

Do you slice in half? - Diagonal -or- Horizontal?

Pickles?? standard (hamburger style?) spears? sweet? pepperoncinis?

Green Olives? Black?

Frill-Pick or no here?

I'll be honest the good old Wonder Bread White + Velveeta is probably my favorite - In some ways my tastes disgust even me.

I'd love to vote for the brie, but nah....

no voting here - no poll.

I am anxious to hear all about this from you all.

http://i.imgur.com/ec12h75.png

Discuss Thrower
06-26-2014, 09:09 PM
Sourdough bread.

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 09:10 PM
I also like the idea of a stout swiss on a sourdough slice w/ something else - that I can't think of right now.

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 09:11 PM
Sourdough bread.

Yes.

MOhillbilly
06-26-2014, 09:13 PM
Man the toaster and a microwave is a huge time saver.

Three minutes and they are just as good as grilled.

BOOM!

Bugeater
06-26-2014, 09:14 PM
They make great hamburger buns.

http://a4.urbancdn.com/w/s/Up/DD6YsJooiEyubV-640m.jpg

cdcox
06-26-2014, 09:14 PM
Salami and hot pepper cheese grilled on Rye. Boom.

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 09:15 PM

Plow.

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 09:16 PM

Plow - only 86 rye add sourdough and a breath-taking armed dijon.

Sorter
06-26-2014, 09:17 PM

Is that technically a melt?

Simply Red
Man the toaster and a microwave is a huge time saver.

Three minutes and they are just as good as grilled.

BOOM!

Sounds less greasy - i like this new school idea Mo. Very solid.

-King-

http://media.giphy.com/media/GtKBubkQoLNpC/giphy.gifWhoa. Game changer

CanadianChief
06-26-2014, 09:19 PM
I like mine on rye with a slice of cheese and crispy bacon.

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Is that technically a melt?

yes - also a melt - let's go there - I'm feeling like anything tonight - anyone ever had Fontina 'melted?' - good grief + white grapes - oh now that's something to try - I also recommend Fontina on a burger with a sweet vidalia carmelized onion.

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 09:21 PM
You really need to dig for Fontina though - it's not just EVERYwhere - like most EVERY cheese type.

CanadianChief
06-26-2014, 09:24 PM
Had this once. It's called the max cheese. A burger with a fried egg on top sandwiched in between two grilled cheeses.

Not too bad.

Mojo Jojo
06-26-2014, 09:25 PM
So many combos...
Brie on cinnamon/raisin bread
muenster on pumpernickel
motz & pepperoni on sourdough
are a start

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 09:26 PM
So many combos...
Brie on cinnamon/raisin bread
muenster on pumpernickel
motz & pepperoni on sourdough
are a start

Muenster is a beautiful addition. I like this here. I like it a lot!

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 09:29 PM
Had this once. It's called the max cheese. A burger with a fried egg on top sandwiched in between two grilled cheeses.

Not too bad.

I would plow that as well. Tonight for supper I had a grilled chicken salad with a nice 'tart' Apple Cider vinaigrette, It had strawberries and blueberries on it.

I would much rather talk about grilled cheeseburger cheese's.

GloucesterChief
06-26-2014, 09:30 PM
mozzarella and prosciutto on italian bread grilled in virgin olive oil.

Can't have it anymore but it was good.

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 09:31 PM
mozzarella and prosciutto on italian bread grilled in virgin olive oil.

Can't have it anymore but it was good.

:drool:

Hoover
06-26-2014, 09:31 PM
Sourdough bread and I butter the outsides and then press on parmesan cheese then grill. So I basically end up with a cheese crested grilled cheese sandwich, which kicks ass.

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 09:32 PM
I absolutely guarantee you at LEAST 15% of Cp'ers still use some sort of George Foreman grill or the sorts.

prhom
06-26-2014, 09:36 PM
French bread with Parmesan grilled on the outside, tomato and cheddar or Swiss on the inside.

hometeam
06-26-2014, 09:41 PM
be still, my beating heart~:wayne::hail:

Bugeater
06-26-2014, 09:42 PM
I absolutely guarantee you at LEAST 15% of Cp'ers still use some sort of George Foreman grill or the sorts.
We occasionally bust it out in the winter when it's too cold to grill out. It's the second best way to cook a burger IMO.

DaFace
06-26-2014, 09:46 PM
My wife got a grilled MAC and cheese at a place in Jackson Hole last year. It was tasty, though undoubtedly artery-clogging.

BucEyedPea
06-26-2014, 09:54 PM
It's not really a grilled cheese unless it's on sliced bread per a cooking site.

I'm boring on grilled cheese. Don't eat it often but when I do, I like white sharp or medium sharp cheddar, Gruyère, Danish Harvarti or Muenster.

I generally prefer mine basic or vegetarian. My first choice for any addition is always tomato and I like that with fresh basil if I add a tomato. Except Gruyère where I could go for some fresh tarragon. I've had it with thinly sliced ham with tomato too. But have to be in the mood for meat. Gloucestor's sounds good. I've heard of arugula and tomato on Gruyère. That sounds good. But plain or just a tomato added is all okay with me.

Bread, well I'm allergic to most so it has to me my golden millet flax bread as it grills up nicely.

NewChief
06-26-2014, 10:00 PM
A restaurant here specializes in gourmet grilled cheese. Check their menu:

http://hammontreesgourmet.com/menu.html

BucEyedPea
06-26-2014, 10:06 PM
Hmmm, pesto and tomato would be great on a grilled cheese too. Gonna try that sometime.

Crying Ramtard
06-26-2014, 10:18 PM
thread creation overkill is what this is

GloucesterChief
06-26-2014, 10:21 PM
Oh and I forgot the classic Croque Monsieur and Croque Madame.

DaFace
06-26-2014, 10:41 PM
thread creation overkill is what this is

Offseason.

Discuss Thrower
06-26-2014, 10:43 PM
Surely this has been the most active CP has been in the offseason..

notorious
06-26-2014, 10:48 PM

Gotta burn off the extra calories.

DaFace
06-26-2014, 10:55 PM

If only I could update my stats thread. :sulk:

Hammock Parties
06-26-2014, 10:56 PM
I like mine with sharp vermont cheddar and a nice hard italian bread.

Discuss Thrower
06-26-2014, 10:57 PM
If only I could update my stats thread. :sulk:

The Admin ChiefsPlanet deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

Hammock Parties
06-26-2014, 10:57 PM
this is ideal

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2013/12/20131106-brussels-sprouts-grilled-cheese-05.jpg

srvy
06-26-2014, 11:01 PM
Gotta have the classic white bread slathered in butter with 2 slices of real american cheese. Not the cheese food crap. Grilled in butter till golden brown. Served with a dill spear on side. Dill hamburger chip will do in a pinch.

Sonic actually makes a pretty good one to my liking. Well as long as the grill master is into it. Ive had some come out butter and cheese barely melted. I just grin a bare it. could complain an get the old grilled spit and cheese.

I know im gonna try the GC bun hamburger! That is right down my alley.

Hammock Parties
06-26-2014, 11:02 PM
Gotta have the classic white bread slathered in butter with 2 slices of real american cheese.

Poverty ass bitchmade garbage.

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 11:03 PM
this is ideal

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/2013/12/20131106-brussels-sprouts-grilled-cheese-05.jpg

http://i58.tinypic.com/2ec3l3k.gif

srvy
06-26-2014, 11:04 PM
Poverty ass bitchmade garbage.

Thats right down my alley to.

BucEyedPea
06-26-2014, 11:10 PM
A restaurant here specializes in gourmet grilled cheese. Check their menu:

http://hammontreesgourmet.com/menu.html

I forgot about Gouda--another cheese I like. That Brie-Gouda, onion and
fig sounds and looks great.

TimBone
06-26-2014, 11:10 PM
Sourdough bread.

This. Also, why isn't Colby Jack respected on CP? I'm now considering canceling my membership.

BucEyedPea
06-26-2014, 11:11 PM
Thats right down my alley to.

LMAO

srvy
06-26-2014, 11:15 PM
I respect the co-jack and love a hunk of it with a slice of summer sausage. I have tried it in a GC but still prefer the american.

TimBone
06-26-2014, 11:16 PM
I respect the co-jack and love a hunk of it with a slice of summer sausage. I have tried it in a GC but still prefer the american.

Good to hear. I've never tried it with summer sausage, but I can understand how that would work.

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Good to hear. I've never tried it with summer sausage, but I can understand how that would work.

how do you feel about Colby bud?

TimBone
06-26-2014, 11:17 PM
Btw SR is turning the food thread into an art form. Well Done, sir.

Also, do we have just a straight up sandwich thread? A place where I could describe the best sandwich I've ever had?

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 11:20 PM

Also, do we have just a straight up sandwich thread? A place where I could describe the best sandwich I've ever had?

right here bud - please rock that shit right fucking here, champ.

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 11:22 PM
I forgot about Gouda--another cheese I like. That Brie-Gouda, onion and
fig sounds and looks great.

would that combo - totally.

Do you like Fontina? It works well w/ sauteed vidalia onions.

TimBone
06-26-2014, 11:24 PM
how do you feel about Colby bud?

Love it. It's my go to in general for sandwiches.

srvy
06-26-2014, 11:25 PM
If I layed out a hunk of co-jack and a snickers candy bar side by side. Then asked my son to choose he would go co-jack every time. He loves cheese.

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 11:25 PM
How about someone try this? - (This may not belong here neither, but)

Grilled Filet + Carmelized Onions + Fontina Cheese, bacon.

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 11:28 PM
I have a fond memory of stopping at the IGA (Stover, Missouri) en route to the lake cabin - and going to the deli - they'd slice that big tubular longhorn colby and grandma would go REAL thin, it made great sandwiches. you'll notice almost everything tastes better 'slivered thin'

TimBone
06-26-2014, 11:29 PM
right here bud - please rock that shit right fucking here, champ.

When I was stationed in Troy, Alabama in 2006, my boss handed me a sandwich she had ordered from a little sandwich shop next to the college. She ordered it for herself, but got called to a last minute meeting, and gave it to me to enjoy.

Pretty simple sandwich. Roast beef, pepper jack cheese, Jalepeno, and mustard on large pieces of fresh, white bread. I'm talking so fresh that when you bite into that bread, it sticks to the roof of your mouth. It was wonderful. I've tried recreating that sandwich a million times since I left Troy. I've never been able to make it quite as good though. What a wonderful sandwich.

TimBone
06-26-2014, 11:30 PM
If I layed out a hunk of co-jack and a snickers candy bar side by side. Then asked my son to choose he would go co-jack every time. He loves cheese.

Your raising a good one, bud.

srvy
06-26-2014, 11:39 PM
nothing to do with grilled cheese but seen this somewhere. Basta Pasta in NYC cook's and serves there there pasta right from the Parmesan cheese wheel.

http://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/Ic-OneTHyCQ7IH9hxDTUjw/l.jpg

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 11:41 PM
When I was stationed in Troy, Alabama in 2006, my boss handed me a sandwich she had ordered from a little sandwich shop next to the college. She ordered it for herself, but got called to a last minute meeting, and gave it to me to enjoy.

Pretty simple sandwich. Roast beef, pepper jack cheese, Jalepeno, and mustard on large pieces of fresh, white bread. I'm talking so fresh that when you bite into that bread, it sticks to the roof of your mouth. It was wonderful. I've tried recreating that sandwich a million times since I left Troy. I've never been able to make it quite as good though. What a wonderful sandwich.

You need to sliver things VERY thin - it really helps - even lettuce

Simply Red
06-26-2014, 11:44 PM
nothing to do with grilled cheese but seen this somewhere. Basta Pasta in NYC cook's and serves there there pasta right from the Parmesan cheese wheel.

http://s3-media4.fl.yelpcdn.com/bphoto/Ic-OneTHyCQ7IH9hxDTUjw/l.jpg

Do you see any videos on youtube about this place? - I can't find any. Interesting though. Sounds damned rich - if it all incorporates together.

TimBone
06-26-2014, 11:49 PM
When are we visiting that place?

Tacoman
06-26-2014, 11:49 PM
I love a good grilled cheese sando, great thread!

I like a few different types

With really gooey white cheeses like a stringy Swiss or creamy Havarti I like to caramalize red onions with balsamic vinegar and red wine and toss them on a nice sourdough or French slab.

I really like the sharpest I can get ahold of in the cheddar department, tillamook extra sharp is our mainstay in the house but I try to snag better when I see them. I don't like any extras on my cheddar grilled cheese, dark rye or a sturdy grade wheat bread and more cheddar and I'm set.

Goat cheese grilled cheese, super creamy, it is also a favorite. You can go as far as adding tomato, basil, and bacon for a summer type spin on it, but I usually end up with any one of the three extras depending on the day.

srvy
06-26-2014, 11:50 PM
http://www.yelp.com/biz/basta-pasta-new-york

I for life remember where I seen it I think local news maybe.

srvy
06-26-2014, 11:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bbJb4x3CiQ

Dont know hot to post video here. Basta Pasta.

Tacoman
06-26-2014, 11:55 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Colby Jack, as far as Colby goes it's not that I don't like it, it's just a bit uninspiring to me. It kind of seems like it's almost flavorless in a way. When I think of yummy white and orange cheese I think of Muenster.

Tacoman
06-27-2014, 12:00 AM
I have got to get me a cheese wheel rind holy shit!

The things you never even realized existed that once discovered are must have' at all costs.

Simply Red
06-27-2014, 12:05 AM
I buy a white cheddar infused w/ porter beer at the farmer's market. I've done grilled cheese on wheat w/ it. Very rich. Great winder addition to a white bean soup.

Tacoman
06-27-2014, 12:29 AM
I buy a white cheddar infused w/ porter beer at the farmer's market. I've done grilled cheese on wheat w/ it. Very rich. Great winder addition to a white bean soup.

Mmm... Sounds yummy.

Third Eye
06-27-2014, 01:13 AM
The fiancé makes a mean grilled cheese. In fact, she made a couple for dinner tonight. 3 slices of cheddar, 3 slices of Swiss, on Tuscan pane and with cooked with enough butter to choke a horse. This is why I've gained more weight during her pregnancy than she has.

Moon§hiner
06-27-2014, 01:22 AM
Try using mayo instead of butter sometime...I'll never go back to butter

Pepe Silvia
06-27-2014, 02:05 AM

Hell Yes.

listopencil
06-27-2014, 02:47 AM
Sharp cheddar and mozzarella, with jalapenos, on rye. Build from there with whatever you fancy. Bacon, ham, sauteed veggies, shrooms, etc. Sauerkraut is a good one that people tend to forget about. A horseradish based dip is nice on the side.

Simply Red
06-27-2014, 06:42 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bbJb4x3CiQ

Dont know hot to post video here. Basta Pasta.

Thanks, yeah - damn it's loud in there.

scho63
06-27-2014, 06:57 AM
Several variations I like:

-Fontina Cheese on thin sliced sourdough w dijon mustard

-American cheese on white with a tomato and bacon

-Multiple shredded cheeses like Asiago and Gouda with a slice of prosciutto on french

I like a ratio of 2:1 cheese to bread. Nothing worse than a grilled cheese with think slices of bread and little to no cheese.

It also must be VERY crispy with a nice flavor of butter on the outside.

Fire Me Boy!
06-27-2014, 07:09 AM
I don't much care for grilled cheese. But I do have some tips to make a better grilled cheese, and one variation that's amazing.

So first, the tip.

To really toast the bread, try not buttering the bread. Instead, put a tablespoon of butter in the pan and wait for it to melt and the foaming to subside. Then put the sandwich in the pan to toast. You may need to add a bit of butter when you flip. This will get it so crispy and toasty, it's insane.

Now the variation: Prep exactly like you would for a grilled cheese. But instead of cheese, slather on a good amount of peanut butter. Just like the cheese, the PB will get all gooey, but be warned: Piping hot peanut butter is a lethal combination of lava and napalm.

ptlyon
06-27-2014, 07:10 AM
Try using mayo instead of butter sometime...I'll never go back to butter

A thin layer of miracle whip on the inside, butter on the outside to toast.

Also, Kraft used to sell thick sliced Velveeta for awhile and they've stopped and it pisses me off

Kaepernick
06-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Sourdough bread.

Dang! never even considered Sourdough. Must try. :thumb:

Kaepernick
06-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Velveeta. No. Just no. :doh!:

Simply Red
06-27-2014, 08:09 AM

There is a certain something to be said for it w/ some items. Is it sort of a social miscue? shore - shore it is!

That said, I've always seen the Rotel infused dip be the first one off of the board at a Holiday spread or the sorts. So spare me, bud.

Velveeta is here to stay and people are going to have to manage that, somehow.

Simply Red
06-27-2014, 08:11 AM
Listen guys - I have to get to work now, but if anyone would like to debate Velveeta cheese' importance in America. We can meet in the CP chat-room tonight for rapid-fire, HEATED exchanges regarding this topic.

Bring your shit.

Kaepernick
06-27-2014, 08:12 AM

With your palate, you are either 350 lbs, or you are skinny as a fence post and can eat anything you want any time you want. Which is it?

Simply Red
06-27-2014, 08:14 AM
With your palate, you are either 350 lbs, or you are skinny as a fence post and can eat anything you want any time you want. Which is it?

6' 1" 179#s - 33 waist. I don't eat this shit all of the time - almost never.

I just love the food topics when there isn't the exciting, winning KC Chiefs' football to discuss.

ptlyon
06-27-2014, 08:17 AM
Listen guys - I have to get to work now, but if anyone would like to debate Velveeta cheese' importance in America. We can meet in the CP chat-room tonight for rapid-fire, HEATED exchanges regarding this topic.

Bring your shit.

No use in making a big hub bub over what one dipshit 9er fan thinks about cheese. That is wrong btw.

Kaepernick
06-27-2014, 08:18 AM
The fiancé makes a mean grilled cheese. In fact, she made a couple for dinner tonight. 3 slices of cheddar, 3 slices of Swiss, on Tuscan pane and with cooked with enough butter to choke a horse. This is why I've gained more weight during her pregnancy than she has.

I've tried burying the grilled cheese in cheese, and I've tried using the cheese sparingly and for me, using it sparingly works better. I like a grilled cheese to be more like an appetizer than an entree.

I learned this for BLTs as well. I used to stuff my BLTs with thick tomatoes, a pile of bacon and layers of lettuce. I found for me that it works much better with thin sliced tomatoes, one layer of bacon, and a sprinkling of lettuce.

These are huge variations and make these sandwiches radically different.

Kaepernick
06-27-2014, 08:19 AM
No use in making a big hub bub over what one dipshit 9er fan thinks about cheese. That is wrong btw.

JFC now it's a 49ers thing if I opine on cheese in a food thread? WTF. :cuss:

No Soup for You.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/Jauhara/sein_soup_nazi.jpg

Pasta Little Brioni
06-27-2014, 08:20 AM
American on buttered rye with fried bologna in between.....thread

Simply Red
06-27-2014, 08:21 AM

o:-)

Pasta Little Brioni
06-27-2014, 08:27 AM
Simply have you ever had just a simpled buttered bread?

ptlyon
06-27-2014, 09:24 AM
JFC now it's a 49ers thing if I opine on cheese in a food thread? WTF. :cuss:

No Soup for You.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b167/Jauhara/sein_soup_nazi.jpg

Speaking of soup, ya gotta have tomato soup with grilled cheese

Baby Lee
06-27-2014, 10:07 AM
Simply have you ever had just a simpled buttered bread?

Buttered toast with cinnamon and sugar under the broiler for a few seconds. Yum!!

Kaepernick
06-27-2014, 04:50 PM
Buttered toast with cinnamon and sugar under the broiler for a few seconds. Yum!!

Ok, you are making me hungry now. It carmelizes into a confection from heaven.

Who is so lazy they cant fold a bowl,of softened butter in with sugar and cinnamon for this? I have actualy seen Land o Lakes cinnamon spread in the store. Seriously, who needs this pre made for them.

I toast one side of the bread under the broiler, then spread the goo on the untoasted side. I am making this tonight for desert.

The only thing is, if you slather on a lot and right out of the broiler some drips on your skin, it might as well be Napalm. You could torture terrorists with this stuff.

Kaepernick
06-27-2014, 04:54 PM
Speaking of soup, ya gotta have tomato soup with grilled cheese

I don't like tomato soup, so it looks like I am missing out. Lucky are you who like tomato soup.

I don't have a mainstream palate. You never ever want to take food advice from me. I put A-1 Steak Sauce on filet mignon for heavens sakes. Yeah I know. :doh!:

Easy 6
06-27-2014, 05:02 PM
Use Texas toast, add bacon and tomato... bam, done.

GloucesterChief
06-27-2014, 06:41 PM
I present the croque monsieur:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UIXOn06Pz70/R3FSdGt2PYI/AAAAAAAAAJI/m2FTdStQ9mo/s800/Croque+Monsieur.jpg

Baby Lee
06-27-2014, 06:43 PM
I don't like tomato soup, so it looks like I am missing out. Lucky are you who like tomato soup.

I don't have a mainstream palate. You never ever want to take food advice from me. I put A-1 Steak Sauce on filet mignon for heavens sakes. Yeah I know. :doh!:

Mix in a little curry and sour cream.

Simply Red
06-27-2014, 07:30 PM
I present the croque monsieur:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_UIXOn06Pz70/R3FSdGt2PYI/AAAAAAAAAJI/m2FTdStQ9mo/s800/Croque+Monsieur.jpg

amazing!

Why is your diet so restrictive GloucesterChief?

GloucesterChief
06-27-2014, 08:34 PM
amazing!

Why is your diet so restrictive GloucesterChief?

Type II diabetic. Low carb to maintain regular blood sugar levels. I can maintain without medicine or insulin if I stay low carb.

Buzz
06-27-2014, 09:10 PM
Grilled cheese with regular American cheese and white bread makes me want to puke, have to have ham or turkey on it to make it palatable to me.

Simply Red
06-27-2014, 09:11 PM
Type II diabetic. Low carb to maintain regular blood sugar levels. I can maintain without medicine or insulin if I stay low carb.

well that's good at least you can self regulate.

Baby Lee
06-27-2014, 09:18 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mASVABRNeM4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee
06-27-2014, 09:25 PM

If there is a place for Velveeta, it's on grilled cheese. Melty, just enough sharpness to it. Great on a good sturdy white or french bread.

Hammock Parties
06-27-2014, 09:26 PM
You put velveeta in dip and nowhere else you disgusting subhuman piece of trash.

TimBone
06-27-2014, 09:31 PM
You put velveeta in dip and nowhere else you disgusting subhuman piece of trash.

Well, that escalated quickly.

Pablo
06-27-2014, 09:39 PM
I like a good coating of petroleum jelly in place of cheese, and a soft bed of thumbtacks to offset the tangy zing of the fiberglass insulation.

On Always Save white bread of course.

Buzz
06-27-2014, 09:41 PM
Well, that escalated quickly.

fumunda cheese does that.

TimBone
06-27-2014, 09:41 PM
I like a good coating of petroleum jelly in place of cheese, and a soft bed of thumbtacks to offset the tangy zing of the fiberglass insulation.

On Always Save white bread of course.

Sir, do not make a mockery of Simply Red's thread. He is wonderful.

Discuss Thrower
06-28-2014, 04:07 PM
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/CKJgcEgvx4U" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fire Me Boy!
06-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Alton Brown's "true" grilled cheese.

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RllWJUvrxEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BucEyedPea
06-28-2014, 04:22 PM
Awe! Here's a cute variation--just not with the ingredients.

http://s8.thisnext.com/media/largest_dimension/6C270D77.jpg

BucEyedPea
06-28-2014, 04:23 PM
Or should that post go in the gadget thread?

Fire Me Boy!
06-28-2014, 04:24 PM
Or should that post go in the gadget thread?

Yes.

I got a sandwich maker when they first came out one Christmas. I make an assload of crispy sandwiches in that thing.

BucEyedPea
06-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Yes.

I got a sandwich maker when they first came out one Christmas. I make an assload of crispy sandwiches in that thing.

We had one growing up. They're great.

BigMeatballDave
06-28-2014, 04:29 PM
I haven't eaten grilled cheese is years.

I liked using Miracle Whip instead of margarine or butter.

salame
06-29-2014, 01:40 AM
like morning secks?

Discuss Thrower
06-29-2014, 11:48 AM

<iframe width="854" height="510" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/RllWJUvrxEY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Make this for me.

Nao.

RedandGold
06-29-2014, 01:11 PM
In honor of this thread, I just made a grilled cheese sandwich for the heck of it using pimiento cheese. Wasn't horrible.

Stewie
06-29-2014, 01:16 PM
There are variations of cheese in any grilled cheese I make, but I prefer whole wheat bread lathered in butter and fried in a pan. My one caveat is that there must be dill pickle chips on the sandwich. It's a crunchy, vinegary compliment to all the fat and carbs.

srvy
06-29-2014, 01:21 PM
There are variations of cheese in any grilled cheese I make, but I prefer whole wheat bread lathered in butter and fried in a pan. My one caveat is that there must be dill pickle chips on the sandwich. It's a crunchy, vinegary compliment to all the fat and carbs.

i like a nice dill too but I have it on the side. I will try the in the sammy next time.

I experimented today with GC.

srvy
06-29-2014, 01:22 PM
In honor of this thread, I just made a grilled cheese sandwich for the heck of it using pimiento cheese. Wasn't horrible.

I like that stuff in the plastic tub. Never thought to grill it but its gonna happen.

Fire Me Boy!
06-29-2014, 01:23 PM
i like a nice dill too but I have it on the side. I will try the in the sammy next time.

I experimented today with GC.

:eek:

NTTAWWT

In58men
06-29-2014, 01:28 PM

I want his spray bottle.

srvy
06-29-2014, 01:46 PM
Ok so for lunch I grilled a couple of GC's one with my fav real American cheese ( not processed cheese food). The other was with Velveeta that many in here have told me is way better.

The bread was basic white and used margarine as was out real butter. so used buttery cooking spray cast iron skillet and buttered all sides the bread. cut off slices or Velveeta and put on one sandwich. And used 1 and half slices the American like a normally do. Cooked to golden brown.

Served my son a half the Velveeta and half the American. Same for me. Hands down for me it was American it tastes like cheese. The Velveeta for me tastes like melted creamy cottage cheese with tons of salt.

But I know my favorite so I expected my result. My son I put the American on top and Velveeta slice on bottom. After he ate them both I asked how was it. He said was good. I asked if he noticed difference in each slice. He said I liked both but you put to much salt on that bottom one :D.

I told him each had a differant cheese on it. I said top was American and bottom was Velveeta. He told me we are American I want American cheese not that other country. He is 9 and told him its a brand of cheese. He is like Dad he was American GC.

Fire Me Boy!
06-29-2014, 01:48 PM
I don't much care for grilled cheese. But I do have some tips to make a better grilled cheese, and one variation that's amazing.

So first, the tip.

To really toast the bread, try not buttering the bread. Instead, put a tablespoon of butter in the pan and wait for it to melt and the foaming to subside. Then put the sandwich in the pan to toast. You may need to add a bit of butter when you flip. This will get it so crispy and toasty, it's insane.

Now the variation: Prep exactly like you would for a grilled cheese. But instead of cheese, slather on a good amount of peanut butter. Just like the cheese, the PB will get all gooey, but be warned: Piping hot peanut butter is a lethal combination of lava and napalm.

I'm quoting this to emphasize. This is the best way to toast bread. I can't remember where I read it or saw it, but I tried it and was immediately sold.

srvy
06-29-2014, 01:54 PM
I have seen your post on that. But I have my way and it was brown and crispy not soggy.

I will try it one day but I like it really buttery.

Fire Me Boy!
06-29-2014, 01:55 PM
I have seen your post on that. But I have my way and it was brown and crispy not soggy.

I will try it one day but I like it really buttery.

Oh, it'll get really buttery, brown, and crispy my way. :)

But it's important you let the water boil out of the melted butter before you put in the bread.

Bugeater
06-29-2014, 06:52 PM
We did the Fatty Melts tonight, one grilled bacon and havarti cheese sandwich, one grilled bacon and chipotle gouda sandwich, with a 1/3 lb hamburger patty in between. Pure awesomeness.

http://oi57.tinypic.com/ngx2si.jpg

In58men
06-29-2014, 06:53 PM
We did the Fatty Melts tonight, one grilled bacon and havarti cheese sandwich, one grilled bacon and chipotle gouda sandwich, with a 1/3 lb hamburger patty in between. Pure awesomeness.

Fap......fap....fap.....fapfapfapfapfap

Baby Lee
06-29-2014, 06:55 PM

Where's the crushed goldfish crackers?

MahiMike
06-29-2014, 06:57 PM
My dad makes a version with onions and mustard. Like a burger without a burger.

Bugeater
06-29-2014, 06:58 PM
Damnit! I knew I was forgetting something! :cuss:

Fire Me Boy!
06-29-2014, 07:00 PM

ROFL

Discuss Thrower
06-29-2014, 07:04 PM
I've got four slices of frozen sourdough, and a pack of mozerella slices which had a sell-by date of June 27.

Fire Me Boy!
06-29-2014, 07:07 PM
I've got four slices of frozen sourdough, and a pack of mozerella slices which had a sell-by date of June 27.

Sell by, not use by. Get cooking.

If you really want to get wild, throw some crushed up goldfish crackers on it. It'll be like having two different cheeses.

Discuss Thrower
06-29-2014, 07:09 PM
Sell by, not use by. Get cooking.

If you really want to get wild, throw some crushed up goldfish crackers on it. It'll be like having two different cheeses.

Don't have goldfish.

Fire Me Boy!
06-29-2014, 07:10 PM
Don't have goldfish.

Pizza flavored Pringles?

In58men
06-29-2014, 07:15 PM
Pizza flavored Pringles?

Now let's not get carried away here.

Baby Lee
06-29-2014, 07:33 PM
Pizza flavored Pringles?