PDA

View Full Version : Prayer Request Graduate School

SuperChief
07-02-2014, 07:41 PM
CP Brethren - I come to you for advice. Willing and able to PIIMB if I get some help.

So I'm finishing up my undergrad in December, and I am seriously thinking about grad school for next (2015) Fall. Those of you that have applied to/been to grad school, any tips on going through the process successfully? My GPA isn't the greatest, but I have (imo) a pretty impressive extra-curricular resume given the fields I'm considering. Any thoughts on how to overcome this obstacle?

Your thoughts and vulgarity are appreciated.

Prison Bitch
07-02-2014, 07:42 PM
In what field of study?

Discuss Thrower
07-02-2014, 07:43 PM
If your GPA is below 3.0 it might be tough unless you roll a 320 or higher score on the GRE or its equivalent on the GMAT.

Beyond that only go if it's absolutely critical to work in your chosen profession and if you won't go into debt over it.

SuperChief
07-02-2014, 07:43 PM
In what field of study?

I'm in the preliminary stages of research right now, but I'm actively considering leadership or student affairs (college student personnel administration, as some schools call it).

Discuss Thrower
07-02-2014, 07:44 PM
I'm in the preliminary stages of research right now, but I'm actively considering leadership or student affairs (college student personnel administration, as some schools call it).

Wait until you have 2-3 years of experience in administration.

SuperChief
07-02-2014, 07:45 PM
If your GPA is below 3.0 it might be tough unless you roll a 320 or higher score on the GRE or its equivalent on the GMAT.

Beyond that only go if it's absolutely critical to work in your chosen profession and if you won't go into debt over it.

I am definitely thinking that if I'm unable to get funding, either through a GTA or an assistantship, it may be an unlikely avenue to pursue. I'd rather not go $20k+ more in debt.

Prison Bitch
07-02-2014, 07:47 PM

Consult the placement office at the schools you're applying to and get feedback. They are at least somewhat realistic on what happens after graduation. Determine what the likely salary and career opportunities you have before you commiit.

SuperChief
07-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Any more thoughts on this?

cdcox
07-03-2014, 05:27 PM
When considering a student with a marginal UG performance I wonder if the student is ability limited or motivationally limited. If the student is ability limited we usually won't admit him or her. If the student is motivationally limited I want evidence that the situation has changed. You have one semester remaining, so it is a great chance to demonstrate that you have the ability and that your motivation is now in place. Another way to demonstrate ability is to get a really strong score on whatever standardized test the program uses. Extracurricular activities usually don't count for much in my field, but the field you are interested in may be different. You also want to convince whoever is making the admission decision that you have finally figured out exactly what you want to do. You can do this by meeting him or her in person, or by writing a really good essay as part of your application package. However if your undergraduate record is spotty your chances of successfully competing for a graduate assistantship in a top program may be sunk. Strong programs have many very well-qualified applicants and may be less willing to take a risk on a student with a mixed record.

Prison Bitch
07-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Any more thoughts on this?

You might want to hit LinkedIn and do a keyword search on professionals that have the degree or even better, have it from the programs you're applying to. Introduce yourself (tell them you're not seeking employment) and just wanted feedback on what the program was like and what it did for them and if they'd recommend it.

Saccopoo
07-03-2014, 06:11 PM

That's a fucking Masters?

Where?

Inner Cleveland Clown College, School of Mime?

a pp roach
07-03-2014, 06:23 PM
is part of the reason that you don't want to work at a job quite yet? just curious, because that is a big factor i would think.

Chief_For_Life58
07-03-2014, 06:32 PM

You 100% first need to see what the payscale is for the future job you want. Then ask yourself how does that stack up to the incurred debt youll load onto yourself once you finish grad school

lewdog
07-03-2014, 07:32 PM
You 100% first need to see what the payscale is for the future job you want. Then ask yourself how does that stack up to the incurred debt youll load onto yourself once you finish grad school

This all day. If you think a career sounds fun but jobs are scarce and pay sucks, you're gonna hate paying $500+ student loans every month for years on end.

TribalElder
07-03-2014, 07:42 PM
Don't ever leave college

Keep the party going

LoneWolf
07-03-2014, 07:48 PM
That's a ****ing Masters?

Where?

Inner Cleveland Clown College, School of Mime?

With every post I read of yours I come closer and closer to the conclusion that you are an insufferable prick.

Saccopoo
07-03-2014, 08:19 PM
With every post I read of yours I come closer and closer to the conclusion that you are an insufferable prick.

http://img.pandawhale.com/48947-Bruce-Campbell-groovy-gif-Eui2.gif
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/a-gtXSgYKk8?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

eDave
07-03-2014, 09:05 PM
As Chief_For_Life58 and Lewdog have said, you gotta do the math. If it adds up for you, go for it. GPA will hurt but sell your potential.

Best bet is to get out into your field and get some more experience. Makes the MBA much easier and you will be in a better position to determine if you really need it, right now.

I got mine many years after receiving my BS and only to bust through the ceiling I was under at the time. Was not difficult. More of a time sync than anything else.

Saccopoo - There is no need for that.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-03-2014, 10:26 PM
I'll sell you my GRE scores.

Coyote
07-04-2014, 08:41 AM
As Chief_For_Life58 and Lewdog have said, you gotta do the math. If it adds up for you, go for it. GPA will hurt but sell your potential.

Best bet is to get out into your field and get some more experience. Makes the MBA much easier and you will be in a better position to determine if you really need it, right now.
Concur