PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports U.S. soccer ratings top NBA Finals

Eleazar
07-03-2014, 04:15 AM
NEW YORK -- An estimated 21.6 million people watched Belgium knock out the United States in the World Cup on U.S. television -- an impressive total for a weekday afternoon that almost certainly undercounts how many people actually saw it.

The Nielsen company said Wednesday that 16.5 million people watched the game on ESPN, with 5.1 million more seeing it on the Spanish-language Univision network. In addition, nearly 1.7 million people watched an online stream of the event, Nielsen said.

The record U.S. television audience for soccer is the 24.7 million who saw the United States play Portugal on June 24, which tied the 2010 World Cup final between Spain and the Netherlands.

The Portugal game took place on a weekend, however, when there were more people with free time available to watch. The U.S.-Belgium game started at 4 p.m. on the East Coast, earlier in other time zones, during a working day.

Nielsen does not measure viewership in bars, offices or other public places. In 2010, ESPN estimated that the stated audience size for weekday World Cup games would increase by 23 percent if public viewing were taken into account.

Still, Tuesday's knockout game exceeded the average viewership for the most recent World Series and NBA Finals, events that took place during prime-time when more people were home to watch.

The just-concluded NBA Finals where the San Antonio Spurs beat the Miami Heat averaged 15.5 million viewers, with 18 million watching the final game. Last fall's World Series averaged 14.9 million viewers, with 19.2 million watching the Boston Red Sox beat the St. Louis Cardinals in the last game.

U.S. coach Jurgen Klinsmann said on Wednesday that everyone connected with the soccer team is excited to see how the sport is reaching a U.S. audience. He could see it coming, given the popularity of the game among young people and the large crowds that turned out for the team's sendoff games before the World Cup.

"Soccer is breaking through and gets its deserved recognition without taking anything away from the other big American sports," Klinsmann said.

He said it's important for people to identify with the way Americans played the game.

"The energy and the commitment and the tempo and the aggressiveness that we played with kind of made people proud at home and surprised a lot of people outside of the United States, maybe in Brazil or in Europe," he said.

The highest overall ratings for the U.S.-Belgium game came in New York, Nielsen said.

ESPN said that overall viewership for the World Cup is up 44 percent over 2010.

Jimmya
07-03-2014, 05:25 AM
Soccer will only be popular in the US every 4 years.

Simply Red
07-03-2014, 05:40 AM

What can I say? I'm of this population that will be only watching the World Cup.

The Olympic 'feel' to it makes it exciting. I would have a harder time getting into

Soccer if/when it's US cities battling each other.

Really have enjoyed the WC though, no question.

Deberg_1990
07-03-2014, 05:44 AM

Somewhat true because the MLS ratings are still generally very low.

The MLS has made enormous gains in 20 years, but I guess the perception that it's a "lesser" league hurts it amongst a lot of soccer fans.

Rausch
07-03-2014, 06:43 AM

Yup, but the fact it's even popular at all is a huge step forward...

KCUnited
07-03-2014, 06:49 AM

The MLS has made enormous gains in 20 years, but I guess the perception that it's a "lesser" league hurts it amongst a lot of soccer fans.

Honest question, is the MLS televised regularly? Do the majority of MLS fans watch other MLS games that don't include the team in their market? I'm a Royals fan, but I rarely watch other MLB baseball games. Living in KC, could I watch a San Jose/Salt Lake game on tv?

I might be more apt to check out some premiere league games now that I have some name recognition from the WC. I'd like to check out some MLS games as well.

redfan
07-03-2014, 06:50 AM
Currently as big as hockey? In 20 years, bigger than baseball?

:hmmm:

Prison Bitch
07-03-2014, 07:06 AM
The NBA is gawd-awful. Not a shock. I cannot believe anybody watches a second of that garbage. WHAT WILL THE BIG 3 DO ZOMG!?!?!

Eleazar
07-03-2014, 07:09 AM
The NBA is gawd-awful. Not a shock. I cannot believe anybody watches a second of that garbage. WHAT WILL THE BIG 3 DO ZOMG!?!?!

75% of the broadcast is players just standing around. It's boring.

Prison Bitch
07-03-2014, 07:10 AM
75% of the broadcast is players just standing around. It's boring.

Do you agree with me, that anybody who mentions that stupid phrase "The Big 3" should be zapped with a taser?

Eleazar
07-03-2014, 07:17 AM

We haven't seen yet what kind of a boost MLS will get from the World Cup. You can go to MLS and see many or most of the players from the National Team, who just competed and held their own in the World Cup. That can only help.

Eleazar
07-03-2014, 07:19 AM
Do you agree with me, that anybody who mentions that stupid phrase "The Big 3" should be zapped with a taser?

I don't watch that garbage league, but isn't it the big 1, and two guys who are over the hill?

TEX
07-03-2014, 07:29 AM

Yep.

morphius
07-03-2014, 07:37 AM
Honest question, is the MLS televised regularly? Do the majority of MLS fans watch other MLS games that don't include the team in their market? I'm a Royals fan, but I rarely watch other MLB baseball games. Living in KC, could I watch a San Jose/Salt Lake game on tv?

I might be more apt to check out some premiere league games now that I have some name recognition from the WC. I'd like to check out some MLS games as well.
I can't remember which channel it is, either Fox Sports 1 or NBC Sports will have a national game every week I believe. But I'm generally the same with Soccer as with Baseball, I watch Sporting and the Royals and that is it. Though I have pretty much reached that level with the NFL lately as well.

KCFaninSEA
07-03-2014, 07:47 AM

Could not agree more.

Pitt Gorilla
07-03-2014, 07:51 AM
The NBA is gawd-awful. Not a shock. I cannot believe anybody watches a second of that garbage. WHAT WILL THE BIG 3 DO ZOMG!?!?!Yet, it's much better than college basketball.

|Zach|
07-03-2014, 07:55 AM

I am alright with this moving of the goal post.

|Zach|
07-03-2014, 07:59 AM

Every Sporting KC game is on here locally on 38 the spot though their next game this Sunday is on ESPN.

In addition to local broadcasts there are national games sometimes on ESPN or ESPN 2 other times on NBC Sports and every now and then on NBC.

Local viewership in MLS markets are decent but getting Sporting KC fans to watch Portland Timbers and Chicago Fire play is one of those things they want to continue to build.

Now having said that Sporting Kansas City vs Chicago Fire 2pm Sunday on ESPN! :D

Prison Bitch
07-03-2014, 08:06 AM
Yet, it's much better than college basketball.

Of course Comosexuals like the nba better, since their team usually stinks.

|Zach|
07-03-2014, 08:06 AM
This is the last year of their current TV deal. Next year ESPN, Fox, and Univision share MLS rights which will also open up most games to be carried on the Watch ESPN platform. New 8 year deal is worth 90 million a year.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2014/05/12/mls-us-soccer-sign-landmark-tv-media-rights-partnerships-espn-fox-univision-deportes

Titty Meat
07-03-2014, 08:09 AM
Soccer sucks

2bikemike
07-03-2014, 08:11 AM
2 sports that I can care less about. I would watch Golf before I watched Soccer or Basketball. And I am not watching Golf.

|Zach|
07-03-2014, 08:14 AM
2 sports that I can care less about. I would watch Golf before I watched Soccer or Basketball. And I am not watching Golf.

Here we are, trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why.

Eleazar
07-03-2014, 08:27 AM
Soccer sucks

You're a sucky poster

lcarus
07-03-2014, 08:33 AM
I know i didnt care about another Spurs Heat finals...

Bambi
07-03-2014, 08:41 AM
It's ridiculous to compare one off events like soccer or football games with basketball and baseball series. It's apples and oranges.

The NCAA Basketball viewership also destroys the NBA. It doesn't necessarily mean it's better basketball.

Articles like this are just dumb from the get-go.

Titty Meat
07-03-2014, 11:13 AM
It's ridiculous to compare one off events like soccer or football games with basketball and baseball series. It's apples and oranges.

The NCAA Basketball viewership also destroys the NBA. It doesn't necessarily mean it's better basketball.

What do you expect from a coochsie thread?

Pitt Gorilla
07-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Of course Comosexuals like the nba better, since their team usually stinks.
Educated fans will take the nba; it's a far superior game.

ThaVirus
07-03-2014, 11:21 AM

You make a point, but did you read the article? The US played two games, I believe, before they even made it to the win-or-go-home portion of the World Cup. There were 24 million viewers tuned into the USA vs. Portugal game and 21 million for our elimination game against Belgium. Both of those ratings were higher than any game of the NBA Finals...

Xanathol
07-03-2014, 11:27 AM
There are ~40-50 million illegals here right now... coincidence? I think not...

ChiefsCountry
07-03-2014, 11:29 AM
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013/06/clearing-up-some-confusion-about-basketball-tv-ratings/

ModSocks
07-03-2014, 11:30 AM
Currently as big as hockey? In 20 years, bigger than baseball?

:hmmm:

This year's World Cup crushed last year's World Series. The highest rated game from the World Series pulled 19million viewers.

It's sad that people spend so much time trying to convince others that a particular sport sucks, rather than just taking the time to learn and enjoy the sport. I've been hearing all month about how Americans dont like Soccer....yet the numbers suggest that it's only behind football.

It seems that more Americans enjoy the World Cup more than "America's favorite pastime".

There isn't an argument to be had anymore.

notorious
07-03-2014, 11:31 AM
All but two teams were left in the NBA finals. That cuts a lot of fans out, thus lower ratings.

Anyone that says that the NBA sucks hasn't been watching the playoffs the last few years. It has been fantastic compared to the early/mid 2000's.

The regular season is an AIDS fire, though.

RealSNR
The NBA finals were over after Game 3.

Had that been a 7 game series, I imagine the viewer ratings would be far different.

|Zach|

You think all those Mexico fans become US soccer fans all the sudden. The rivals?

ModSocks
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2013/06/clearing-up-some-confusion-about-basketball-tv-ratings/

Old article is old.

Eleazar
07-03-2014, 11:32 AM
What do you expect from a coochsie thread?

The article is on the front page of ESPN.com, dumbass

ChiefsCountry
07-03-2014, 11:32 AM
All but two teams were left in the NBA finals. That cuts a lot of fans out, thus lower ratings.

Anyone that says that the NBA sucks hasn't been watching the playoffs the last few years. It has been fantastic compared to the early/mid 2000's.

The regular season is an AIDS fire, though.

Its KU basketball fans around these parts that generally think NBA basketball sucks.

notorious
07-03-2014, 11:33 AM
You think all those Mexico fans become US soccer fans all the sudden. The rivals?

I am not backing his post, but you can not discount a huge boost of millions of Mexican viewers in the US.

|Zach|
07-03-2014, 11:33 AM
The NBA finals were over after Game 3.

Had that been a 7 game series, I imagine the viewer ratings would be far different.

Yea, there was a game 7 in...what was it...2013? I am reading it got 26 millionish.

ModSocks
07-03-2014, 11:34 AM

Don't talk to him. He's a dumbass. He pulled those numbers out of his ass and then assumes that all Illegals are Mexican.

He's one of the biggest biggoted dumbasses on the board. Don't think for a second that he can carry any sort of logical conversation.

ModSocks
07-03-2014, 11:35 AM
I am not backing his post, but you can not discount a huge boost of millions of Mexican viewers in the US.

And why does that matter? Are their numbers excluded when talking about the other major sports?

Last time i checked Mexicans also like football and baseball.

Baby Lee
07-03-2014, 11:35 AM
This year's World Cup crushed last year's World Series. The highest rated game from the World Series pulled 19million viewers.

It's sad that people spend so much time trying to convince others that a particular sport sucks, rather than just taking the time to learn and enjoy the sport. I've been hearing all month about how Americans dont like Soccer....yet the numbers suggest that it's only behind football.

It seems that more Americans enjoy the World Cup more than "America's favorite pastime".

There isn't an argument to be had anymore.

I'd be perfectly happy if they just ignored it if they don't like it.

I can't think of any other entertainment or enjoyment medium that has more people popping in to tell others how much they dislike it.

I don't go to SoapOperaPlanet, or RealityTVPlanet to tell people there that I think their shows suck and only gay people watch them.

I don't go to VeganPlanet or IHeartBrussellsSproutsPlanet to tell that that their diet sucks and only gay people eat that way.

Maybe its just me.

KC_Connection
07-03-2014, 11:37 AM
And with the huge nationalism element gone now (which doesn't exist in professional basketball obviously), the remaining World Cup games will get nothing close to that in the US.

|Zach|

I can't think of any other entertainment or enjoyment medium that has more people popping in to tell others how much they dislike it.

I don't go to SoapOperaPlanet, or RealityTVPlanet to tell people there that I think their shows suck and only gay people watch them.

I don't go to VeganPlanet or IHeartBrussellsSproutsPlanet to tell that that their diet sucks and only gay people eat that way.

Maybe its just me.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121029184911/dragonball/images/4/45/Tumblr_m432dk3xAQ1rpprijo5_r1_400-1-.gif

Bambi
Educated fans will take the nba; it's a far superior game.

Just like the nfl is far superior to the CFB. Obviously professionals are better.

|Zach|
And with the huge nationalism element gone now, the remaining World Cup games will get nothing close to that in the US.

Call your shot

ModSocks
07-03-2014, 11:39 AM

Maybe its just me.

Agreed.

Hearing them bitch about it is a lot like listening to a woman trying to figure out football.

"I don't get it. All they do is run around in tights trying to tackle each other. It's so stupid..."

KC_Connection
Call your shot
You really don't think a ton of people will stop watching now?

Baby Lee
http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121029184911/dragonball/images/4/45/Tumblr_m432dk3xAQ1rpprijo5_r1_400-1-.gif

In the interest of BB comity, I feel constrained to point out that, while I might rib you about your weight on occasion, I DON'T think you're 'Stanley on Free Pretzel Day' fat. ;)

Kansas City Kid
07-03-2014, 11:40 AM
So the biggest soccer audience in US history can't even come close to a Thursday night Browns-Ravens NFL audience on TV. :LOL:

|Zach|
In the interest of BB comity, I feel constrained to point out that, while I might rib you about your weight on occasion, I DON'T think you're 'Stanley on Free Pretzel Day' fat. ;)

Ha!

RealSNR
Yea, there was a game 7 in...what was it...2013? I am reading it got 26 millionish.

The point I'm trying to make is that this doesn't mean very much. It doesn't mean NBA basketball is in decline or that soccer in the US is on the rise. You can point to other data if you want to make arguments for either or both of those points, but this article that Cochise posted isn't the way to do it.

KCUnited
07-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Shocking direction this thread took.

KC_Connection
07-03-2014, 11:41 AM
Its KU basketball fans around these parts that generally think NBA basketball sucks.
Not me, certainly.

ModSocks
07-03-2014, 11:42 AM
So the biggest soccer audience in US history can't even come close to a Thursday night Browns-Ravens NFL audience on TV. :LOL:

You can't compare ANY sport to football in the U.S.

It's a stupid argument. The NFL is wildly popular. What does that have to do with the growth of soccer?

mr. tegu
07-03-2014, 11:42 AM
If there is one thing I have learned watching the World Cup, its that the vast majority of the players are not that good at scoring the ball. They can manipulate it, pass it, run with it, but when it comes time to shoot the ball they are not very good.

Sure a few get lucky here and there, but I would expect more consistency from the players. I cannot believe how horrible and off target some of their "shots" are. I used to think scoring would go up if some rules were changed, but now I realize the problem is not the rules, its the players.

notorious
07-03-2014, 11:43 AM
And why does that matter? Are their numbers excluded when talking about the other major sports?

Last time i checked Mexicans also like football and baseball.

It doesn't matter, but Zach said that "Mexicans suddenly become US fans", when in fact they don't have to be to tune in and boost ratings.

Last time I looked soccer is far and away more popular than Baseball and football for Hispanics.

I could be wrong, but probably not. I count hundreds of hispanics on the soccer fields around here compared to few on a baseball diamond or football field.

Dodge City and Garden City have a huge hispanic population that are from the heart of Mexico.

Bugeater

Maybe its just me.
You might have a valid point if this board was called SoccerPlanet.

|Zach|
If there is one thing I have learned watching the World Cup, its that the vast majority of the players are not that good at scoring the ball. They can manipulate it, pass it, run with it, but when it comes time to shoot the ball they are not very good.

Sure a few get lucky here and there, but I would expect more consistency from the players. I cannot believe how horrible and off target some of their "shots" are. I used to think scoring would go up if some rules were changed, but now I realize the problem is not the rules, its the players.

Well the bell curve and sample size is.... "the world" so maybe finishing is harder than you are giving credit for? You're watching the best in the world in a sport the world plays.

Swanman
07-03-2014, 11:44 AM

Thanks for your take, Ann Coulter.

ModSocks
07-03-2014, 11:45 AM
It doesn't matter, but Zach said that "Mexicans suddenly become US fans", when in fact they don't have to be to tune in and boost ratings.

Last time I looked soccer is far and away more popular than Baseball and football for Hispanics.

I could be wrong, but probably not. I count hundreds of hispanics on the soccer fields around here compared to few on a baseball diamond or football field.

Dodge City and Garden City have a huge hispanic population that are from the heart of Mexico.

Im not saying that Football/Baseball are MORE popular, but they are in fact popular. Im not sure that i know a Mexican that doesn't own a Chargers jersey.

Ever look at a Chargers home crowd? It's very "brown".

|Zach|
The point I'm trying to make is that this doesn't mean very much. It doesn't mean NBA basketball is in decline or that soccer in the US is on the rise. You can point to other data if you want to make arguments for either or both of those points, but this article that Cochise posted isn't the way to do it.

Sure.

Baby Lee

Go ahead and post up some video of your amazing skills, maybe Klinnsman will happen across it.

Swanman
07-03-2014, 11:46 AM

US viewership will drop with the US being out, but I think the viewership in the remaining games will be much higher than previous World Cups after the US got knocked out. However, you also have to factor in that Brazil is basically in the same time zone as the US so that muddies the waters with ratings.

Baby Lee
07-03-2014, 11:46 AM
You might have a valid point if this board was called SoccerPlanet.

You might have a point if we only talked about football, let alone only the Chiefs, here.

mr. tegu
07-03-2014, 11:47 AM
Well the bell curve and sample size is.... "the world" so maybe finishing is harder than you are giving credit for? You're watching the best in the world in a sport the world plays.

I am sure finishing can be difficult at times, but when I watch a match and consistently see shots 20 feet wide and 20 feet too high I have to question how good they are at scoring.

Kansas City Kid
07-03-2014, 11:48 AM
US viewership will drop with the US being out, but I think the viewership in the remaining games will be much higher than previous World Cups after the US got knocked out. However, you also have to factor in that Brazil is basically in the same time zone as the US so that muddies the waters with ratings.

I think the viewership for the rest of it might be able to top "Three's Company" re-runs.

|Zach|
07-03-2014, 11:49 AM
I am sure finishing can be difficult at times, but when I watch a match and consistently see shots 20 feet wide and 20 feet too high I have to question how good they are at scoring.

So ehh...who is better? I mean. You are watching the World Cup.

My only point is that...if you sit back and watch NFL QBs and come away unimpressed with the passing skills of QBs then...it probably says more about the nature of passing than it does a deficiency in QBs unless you can point to a higher level. Ya know?

Unless you can then point to people who do it better than NFL QBs. The bell curve currently includes...soccer players in the world. This feels like a criticism more fitting for MLS than World Cup soccer.

mr. tegu
07-03-2014, 11:49 AM
Go ahead and post up some video of your amazing skills, maybe Klinnsman will happen across it.

:drool:

I also can't come close to playing golf like the professionals but that doesn't stop them from being really good, because you know, they are professionals.

ThaVirus
07-03-2014, 11:51 AM

My perception is that soccer is seeing a meteoric rise in popularity in this country. That's just my perception.

It depends on what kind of Hispanics you're talking about. Cubans, Dominicans and Puerto Ricans, who have sizable populations in America, are more into baseball.

ModSocks
07-03-2014, 11:51 AM

The same can be said about Baseball players and hitters. Or NBA players and shooters.

We can say that they suck....or we can take into consideration the difficultly and the fact that..well....it's a lot harder to do when it's contested.

mr. tegu
07-03-2014, 11:54 AM
So ehh...who is better? I mean. You are watching the World Cup.

My only point is that...if you sit back and watch NFL QBs and come away unimpressed with the passing skills of QBs then...it probably says more about the nature of passing than it does a deficiency in QBs unless you can point to a higher level. Ya know?

Unless you can then point to people who do it better than NFL QBs. The bell curve currently includes...soccer players in the world. This feels like a criticism more fitting for MLS than World Cup soccer.

I get what you are saying, but I can't help but think they should be more consistently on target.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-03-2014, 11:54 AM
26.3 million watched last year's Finals Game 7.

GloryDayz
07-03-2014, 11:55 AM

So, even soccer has passed you up???

|Zach|
07-03-2014, 11:55 AM
I get what you are saying, but I can't help but think they should be more consistently on target.

Fair enough. To me it just points to how hard it is to score a goal at the highest of levels.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-03-2014, 12:01 PM
Fair enough. To me it just points to how hard it is to score a goal at the highest of levels.

That's the problem I have with soccer. I feel like it's a game that is fundamentally imbalanced towards the defense; that's not the player's fault, but it rewards flukish behavior nearly as much as excellent play.

To me, it's akin to playing baseball with 12 fielders with a 450 foot fence or football with three downs and 20 yards to get a first. Sure, it's possible, but it's unnecessarily difficult.

(Cue: "you're an impatient American")

ThaVirus
07-03-2014, 12:02 PM
The Super Bowl ratings have been in the 90 millions recently and rising, right?

Anyone have NFL postseason game ratings?

And regular season while you're at it?

K thanx!

Titty Meat
07-03-2014, 12:02 PM
3 different threads soccer fans are bitching because people dont like the shitty sport

|Zach|
07-03-2014, 12:04 PM
That's the problem I have with soccer. I feel like it's a game that is fundamentally imbalanced towards the defense; that's not the player's fault, but it rewards flukish behavior nearly as much as excellent play.

To me, it's akin to playing baseball with 12 fielders with a 450 foot fence or football with three downs and 20 yards to get a first. Sure, it's possible, but it's unnecessarily difficult.

Ha, so seems you wanted to be offended before I could offend you.

It is absolutely weighted towards defenders and one moment of hopeful swatting can undue amazing build up work that started 20 passes ago. Can be cruel and unjust...lower lows and higher highs when it all comes together.

ThaVirus
07-03-2014, 12:04 PM
I don't even like soccer but it's the most popular sport in the fucking world.

You just can't hate on it.

ChiefsCountry
07-03-2014, 12:06 PM
Interesting about the NBA ratings is that the Spurs have 4 of the 10 lowest NBA Finals ratings. US sports watching population doesn't like the San Antonio Spurs. Its a shame that Kobe is a hurt bitch anymore because a Heat/Lakers final would be ratings boom.

ptlyon
07-03-2014, 12:06 PM
I don't even like soccer but it's the most popular sport in the ****ing world.

Bullshit

|Zach|
07-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Interesting about the NBA ratings is that the Spurs have 4 of the 10 lowest NBA Finals ratings. US sports watching population doesn't like the San Antonio Spurs. Its a shame that Kobe is a hurt bitch anymore because a Heat/Lakers final would be ratings boom.

Ok Roger Goodell.

Swanman
07-03-2014, 12:08 PM
Ha, so seems you wanted to be offended before I could offend you.

It is absolutely weighted towards defenders and one moment of hopeful swatting can undue amazing build up work that started 20 passes ago. Can be cruel and unjust...lower lows and higher highs when it all comes together.

In a way, soccer striking is similar to baseball hitting. You have tons of whiffs and near-misses and every once in a while a hitter truly centers up a ball and drives it. The difference between soccer is that hitters in baseball get lots and lots of chances to hit a baseball, where in soccer you only get a handful of chances during a game.

As to why many shots are off target, I think it mainly has to do with soccer players almost never being in space near the goal. Every once in a while you have a defensive breakdown or a guy like Messi shaking free of everybody but normally a striker is working in an extremely confined space with almost no decision making time.

Titty Meat
07-03-2014, 12:09 PM

Thats because people are stupid and still think the Spurs play the same style they did 10 years ago.

Baby Lee
07-03-2014, 12:10 PM
3 different threads soccer fans are bitching because people dont like the shitty sport

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/bd0erNx6rWw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

GloryDayz
07-03-2014, 12:10 PM

I agree. "The world" is blind to some obvious faults, and are purists to say the very least. Further, they have no intention to let the U.S. weigh-in on what most us us to see as obvious flaws in the game. But what can you do???

Oh, and "you're an impatient American"............

|Zach|
07-03-2014, 12:13 PM
It is kind of funny seeing the contrast. Dana White one time went on a really long anti soccer rant between doing whatever he does to build up the millionth UFC event in a year and his main gripe was that the goal was so big and scoring was so ridiculously easy that it made soccer a sham...a ball that small being able to be shot in an area that huge.

Former USMNT player and former Wizard Jimmy Conrad invited him to come out to a game and play but nothing really ever came of it.

ChiefsCountry
07-03-2014, 12:13 PM
Thats because people are stupid and still think the Spurs play the same style they did 10 years ago.

No its because basketball is star driven. Duncan has always been really good, but he is a boring ass. Their other two stars are a Frenchman and an Argentinan. American population isn't going to like that. Leonard could change a lot of that for the Spurs IMO.

Kansas City Kid
07-03-2014, 12:15 PM

No, it's not. Not even close.

ThaVirus
Bullshit

Bullshit that it's the most popular sport in the world or that you just can't hate on it?

|Zach|

Ok, American Hero thinks you are a bad troll at this point.

ThaVirus
07-03-2014, 12:16 PM

Huh? What's more popular?

GloryDayz
07-03-2014, 12:17 PM

Yeah, people tend to be more interested in Justin Beiber, KanYAY West, that idiot nekikid singer chick swinging on a ball, Ocho-Cinco, and the Kardashians than level headed athletes who aren't assholes. Go figure..

Hey, even NASCAR went through this a Jimmy Johnson started winning it all and looked to be that way for years to come. He came to the track, he won, he smiled a bit and said, "Yay Lowe's and my team", then went home until the next race. He left a hole in what "the sport" could fill with the times they sport wasn't "in session".

So it's all over, folks like their stars to be celebrities too...

Swanman

Taking into account the entire world, it is and it's not even close. You go to Europe at any point during the professional soccer season or world/regional tournament and that's pretty much all you see as far as sports go on tv and in the newspapers. It also completely dominates in Africa and South America. Your post reeks of MURICA!!!!!!!!!!

ptlyon
Bullshit that it's the most popular sport in the world or that you just can't hate on it?

Can't hate on it :harumph:

Swanman
07-03-2014, 12:19 PM
No its because basketball is star driven. Duncan has always been really good, but he is a boring ass. Their other two stars are a Frenchman and an Argentinan. American population isn't going to like that. Leonard could change a lot of that for the Spurs IMO.

It also has to do with San Antonio being a tiny market. They could have huge stars and the ratings still wouldn't be that great compared to an LA/NY finals pairing.

|Zach|
07-03-2014, 12:25 PM
Nope

What metric are you using? Participation? Viewer ratings? Money?

Kansas City Kid
07-03-2014, 12:26 PM
All of it

ModSocks
07-03-2014, 12:27 PM
All of it

Has to be a troll.

No one is this stupid.

|Zach|
07-03-2014, 12:27 PM
All of it

So. Your belief is more people participate in NFL style football world wide than soccer.

Iowanian
07-03-2014, 12:28 PM
Soccer sucks almost as much as the NBA.

ModSocks
07-03-2014, 12:29 PM
Soccer sucks almost as much as the NBA.

And baseball sucks more than either of them.

Kansas City Kid
07-03-2014, 12:30 PM
And baseball sucks more than either of them.

Only to a homosexual man.

Iowanian
07-03-2014, 12:33 PM

You keep saying things like that, like you're not the kind of guy who wouldn't perform an act of fellatio on a homeless person for a half box of rain soaked stale triscuits.

Dextox
If you hate baseball, you hate America. You're hating America on it's damn birthday, commie.

ptlyon
07-03-2014, 12:35 PM
You keep saying things like that, like you're not the kind of guy who wouldn't perform an act of fellatio on a homeless person for a half box of rain soaked stale triscuits.

Wow. Bravo! :clap:

Baby Lee
07-03-2014, 12:35 PM

Reminder, this guy didn't make the Cup

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/ck8JTJfjYbI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Kansas City Kid
07-03-2014, 12:38 PM
You keep saying things like that, like I'm not the kind of guy who performed an act of fellatio on a homeless person for a half box of rain soaked stale triscuits.

Well, you do speak from experience.

Iowanian
07-03-2014, 12:39 PM
Well, you do speak from experience.

I am pretty experienced at recognizing a first rate cocksucker when I see one and I'm guessing you've had more balls slap your chin than Johnny Bench's old mit.

ModSocks
07-03-2014, 12:41 PM

oooh you're so witty.

Titty Meat
07-03-2014, 12:41 PM
I will say Fifa 98 is one of the best video games ever

ModSocks
07-03-2014, 12:42 PM
Dextox
If you hate baseball, you hate America. You're hating America on it's damn birthday, commie.

LMAO

To be fair, it's hard to like Baseball when your hometown team is the Padres.

Kansas City Kid
07-03-2014, 12:43 PM
I am pretty experienced at recognizing a first rate one who sucks the penis.

When you look in the mirror?

BigRedChief
07-03-2014, 12:43 PM
I am pretty experienced at recognizing a first rate cocksucker when I see one and I'm guessing you've had more balls slap your chin than Johnny Bench's old mit.Your in a soccer thread. The old baseball player reference is not understood.:)

ModSocks
07-03-2014, 12:45 PM
When you look in the mirror?

Ooooh sick burn....

Baby Lee
07-03-2014, 12:46 PM

Dextox

KC Kid vacations at Coney Island.

http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4ebg92oyt1rsl308o1_500.jpg

Kansas City Kid
07-03-2014, 12:48 PM
Look at all the gay soccer fans so pissed off....lisping their retorts.:LOL:

Baby Lee
07-03-2014, 12:51 PM
Look at all the gay soccer fans so pissed off....lisping their retorts.:LOL:

Please tell us you had the common decency to give your homeless buddy a reacharound.

Xanathol
07-03-2014, 12:52 PM

Of course it is - it takes slightly more athletic ability than golf or running. There is no need for the strength & explosiveness of football or the skill and quick twitch of baseball. Even the most desolate country of weak, uncoordinated metrosexuals can field a team. It is the same reason it is the 'participation trophy sport' of today's youth; when your kid sucks at football, baseball, and every other real sport, there's always soccer.

Iowanian
07-03-2014, 12:54 PM
Look at it this way, the thread is about the NBA which sucks more than Soccer.

You suck more than the Coke whores who find an posse member of an NBA player who promises they can get them into the VIP room for a meet n greet. I have no doubt that you've gobbled more wieners than every frizzy haired blond in ripped acid wash jeans who was ever back stage of any hair band concert in history. If cock suckings were cow shit, you would be heaped up somewhere in Western Kansas stinking out a town.

I can hate on soccer though because, America.

Kansas City Kid
07-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Soccer is the #1 sport among mongoloids and gays.

ThaVirus
07-03-2014, 12:55 PM
Of course it is - it takes slightly more athletic ability than golf or running. There is no need for the strength & explosiveness of football or the skill and quick twitch of baseball. Even the most desolate country of weak, uncoordinated metrosexuals can field a team. It is the same reason it is the 'participation trophy sport' of today's youth; when your kid sucks at football, baseball, and every other real sport, there's always soccer.

Something tells me you couldn't run full speed while dribbling a soccer ball.

Soccer takes a ton of skill. You just don't have any of it so you choose to be demeaning. It's ok. We get it.

Iowanian
07-03-2014, 12:58 PM

I like Mongoloids, because they're nice, kind, loving people. I don't have any issue with gays because they're good at picking out purses and shoes and dancing for Madonna videos.

You could only aspire to be either of those, likable or useful in any capacity.

Fish
07-03-2014, 01:14 PM
You might have a point if we only talked about football, let alone only the Chiefs, here.

Your analogy described going to a specific site and telling the members that the subject of their site is stupid. That's not what's happening here, since this is an american football board and the discussion in this thread is soccer.

Perhaps a better analogy would be going to VeganPlanet, making a post about BBQ ribs, and then expecting the vegans not to post disparaging remarks.

Baby Lee
07-03-2014, 01:21 PM
Your analogy described going to a specific site and telling the members that the subject of their site is stupid. That's not what's happening here, since this is an american football board and the discussion in this thread is soccer.

Perhaps a better analogy would be going to VeganPlanet, making a post about BBQ ribs, and then expecting the vegans not to post disparaging remarks.

You are aware that I don't even have to scroll, let alone search to disparage fans of brussels sprouts on this very BB.

Fish
07-03-2014, 01:27 PM
You are aware that I don't even have to scroll, let alone search to disparage fans of brussels sprouts on this very BB.

Because brussels sprouts suck!

-King-
07-03-2014, 01:31 PM
Let's compare apples to apples:

2013 MLS cup ratings: 505,000 viewers and a 0.7 rating

2014 NBA Finals ratings: 18 million viewers for game 5 and a 10.3 rating.

Yeah, it's really catching up in popularity.

Kansas City Kid
07-03-2014, 02:24 PM
I like Mongoloids and gays.

Why is nobody surprised?

Chief Roundup
07-03-2014, 02:28 PM
More conformation that the NBA is not very popular.

Kansas City Kid
07-03-2014, 02:36 PM
Let's compare apples to apples:

2013 MLS cup ratings: 505,000 viewers and a 0.7 rating

2014 NBA Finals ratings: 18 million viewers for game 5 and a 10.3 rating.

Yeah, it's really catching up in popularity.

The power outage at the Super Bowl in 2013 outdraws soccer. Even golf does.

Dartgod
07-03-2014, 02:40 PM

I have never watched in the past, but I might be inclined to watch the semis and championship games this year.

|Zach|
07-03-2014, 02:42 PM

No there will be a decrease. But I am saying call your shot...I am curious as to your perception vs reality.

keg in kc
07-03-2014, 03:03 PM
Look at it this way, the thread is about the NBA which sucks more than Soccer.Yup.

BigCatDaddy
07-03-2014, 03:07 PM
Soccer is going to blow up in the US!/ Says someone every year for the last 20 years.

Prison Bitch
07-03-2014, 03:19 PM

Is there any evidence that KSU or Mizzou (or the other Big 12 regional fans here in KC) like the NBA better than college hoops? I'd like to see your evidence.

As for World Cup vs NBA, Kansas City is the #31 media market in the USA. We were 16th for the Ghana game (7.4 rating) and 47th for Game 5 of the NBA (8.3 rating):
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/world-soccer/article571711/Kansas-City-tops-national-average-for-U.S.-Ghana-World-Cup-viewership.html

Xanathol
07-03-2014, 03:26 PM
Something tells me you couldn't run full speed while dribbling a soccer ball.

Soccer takes a ton of skill. You just don't have any of it so you choose to be demeaning. It's ok. We get it.

Step 1 - run after ball.
Step 2 - run into ball.
Step 3 - repeat.

Yeah, real ****ing hard. Or do you mean the part where they aren't running but doing the Ace Ventura shuffle?

http://i.xwl.me/jy7acd.gif

Obviously Jim Carey is just an athlete beyond the likes any have seen in American sports...

ThaVirus
07-03-2014, 03:34 PM
I guess that's kind of like being an NFL QB.

Step 1 - Hold ball in hands
Step 2 - Throw ball
Step 3 - Repeat

Or

Step 1 - Hold ball
Step 2 - Hand ball off
Step 3 - Repeat

Yeah, real fucking hard!

Kansas City Kid
07-03-2014, 04:01 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/soccer-dirty-tackle/american-soccer-ref-dies-after-being-punched-during-a-match-200716885.html

Just another reason to hate soccer.

Pitt Gorilla
07-03-2014, 04:49 PM
Just like the nfl is far superior to the CFB. Obviously professionals are better.
Agree completely.

GloryDayz
07-03-2014, 07:00 PM

You cunt!

Dayze
07-03-2014, 07:12 PM
i might also be because the NBA playoffs are 6 months long.

Deberg_1990
07-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Soccer is going to blow up in the US!/ Says someone every year for the last 20 years.

Pro Soccer was completely dead in the US prior to 1994. Dead. Think how far its come in 20 years.

Well, unless you count an over the hill Pele in the late 70s or the MISL.? Kansas City Comets represent!

GloryDayz
07-03-2014, 07:36 PM
i might also be because the NBA playoffs are 6 months long.

Six months??? You must have missed the first few rounds!

Dayze
07-03-2014, 08:02 PM
LMAO

cosmo20002
07-03-2014, 08:32 PM
NEW YORK -- An estimated 21.6 million people watched Belgium knock out the United States in the World Cup on U.S. television -- an impressive total for a weekday afternoon that almost certainly undercounts how many people actually saw it.

The just-concluded NBA Finals where the San Antonio Spurs beat the Miami Heat averaged 15.5 million viewers, with 18 million watching the final game.

"Home" populations:

Miami - 5M+
San Antonio - 2M+ vs. United States - 320M

Just sayin...

philfree
07-03-2014, 09:00 PM
I didn't watch either event. They both suck.

cosmo20002
07-03-2014, 09:24 PM

Not really a soccer fan, but this is stupid.

DaFace
07-03-2014, 09:26 PM
The World Cup is like the Olympics to me. I might catch a soccer game here and there normally, but I always try and at least pay attention to it since it is the biggest international competition there is for the sport.

GloryDayz
07-03-2014, 09:43 PM
The World Cup is like the Olympics to me. I might catch a soccer game here and there normally, but I always try and at least pay attention to it since it is the biggest international competition there is for the sport.

I record everything I can, I love it. Then again, part of my life was in Rome, and one mile from the stadium. So I get all the arguments, I just know it's awesome. Some changes are needed, but I'm still a huge fan...

And yes, the FIFA WC is much like the Olympics...

BWillie
07-05-2014, 01:20 PM
If it beat the NBA finals, it must have dwarfed the World Series

chiefzilla1501
07-05-2014, 02:44 PM

Interestingly enough, soccer is pretty dangerous when it comes to head injuries. But I'm willing to bet that with the negative attention the NFL has continued to get around the danger of the game, you'll see a lot of young athletic kids picking up soccer. Kids playing soccer means more parents paying attention to soccer, and kids will likely end up loyal fans (easier to convert a kid to a sport than to a grown up).

I don't think soccer will ever blow up in the US. But if you don't think soccer hasn't gotten a shitload of positive attention, you're kidding yourself. The MLS is doing better in markets that invest smartly in the sport (KC, Portland, Seattle). And English Premiere League is doing very well in the US too.

BWillie
07-05-2014, 03:20 PM
Interestingly enough, soccer is pretty dangerous when it comes to head injuries. But I'm willing to bet that with the negative attention the NFL has continued to get around the danger of the game, you'll see a lot of young athletic kids picking up soccer. Kids playing soccer means more parents paying attention to soccer, and kids will likely end up loyal fans (easier to convert a kid to a sport than to a grown up).

I don't think soccer will ever blow up in the US. But if you don't think soccer hasn't gotten a shitload of positive attention, you're kidding yourself. The MLS is doing better in markets that invest smartly in the sport (KC, Portland, Seattle). And English Premiere League is doing very well in the US too.

I get the MLS getting more popular here, but what I dont get is why any American gives a shit about the EPL and Premier League etc. They barely have any American players, its on a different continent. Why would you be concerned about it?

Im a big baseball and basketball fan but I dont concern myself with the Japanese pro baseball league or the european pro basketball leagues. Its just very odd to me. So many ppl want to be European because its trendy. Its a new trend in the last 10 years. As can be seen w the rise of EDM as well (which I do like by the way) but thr trend is just annoying

|Zach|
07-05-2014, 05:57 PM
I get the MLS getting more popular here, but what I dont get is why any American gives a shit about the EPL and Premier League etc. They barely have any American players, its on a different continent. Why would you be concerned about it?

Im a big baseball and basketball fan but I dont concern myself with the Japanese pro baseball league or the european pro basketball leagues. Its just very odd to me. So many ppl want to be European because its trendy. Its a new trend in the last 10 years. As can be seen w the rise of EDM as well (which I do like by the way) but thr trend is just annoying

I get why people like the other leagues but solely choosing them over your own domestic league is what I don't get. Oh well...life long. Kansas Citians are walking around right now with Yankees hats on I suppose.

DaFace
07-05-2014, 06:11 PM

The MLS is is essentially a minor league. If you want to watch the best players in the world, you watch international play.

KCTitus
07-05-2014, 09:27 PM

The best possible explanation I can give to you why I follow the English Premiere League is it is one of the best soccer leagues in the world. Just like someone from Europe would follow the NBA. Sure, the basketball leagues in europe might be good, but they're not as good as the NBA.

Compared to the MLS, the English, German, Spanish and Italian Leagues are light years better. So, if one did want to watch the game played at its highest level, it's not here in the USA.

chiefsfan987
07-06-2014, 01:42 AM

Why does anyone outside of the US give a shit about the NFL, NBA, or MLB? It's the same reason that people inside the US give a shit about the Premier League, La Liga etc. It's because people like to watch the best talent in said sport.

aturnis
07-06-2014, 12:25 PM
And with the huge nationalism element gone now (which doesn't exist in professional basketball obviously), the remaining World Cup games will get nothing close to that in the US.

Probably the dumbest post of the thread.

The highest rated world cup game did not include the US.

Deberg_1990
07-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Looks like Hollywood wants capitalize and to remake "Victory" now. The old WWII set Stallone/Caine/Pele movie. Used to love this movie as kid when it played on HBO 5 times a day. LOL

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/S7R4K2I6-GQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/jun/27/world-cup-film-escape-to-victory-football-soccer-doug-liman

BWillie
07-06-2014, 03:09 PM
This PK stuff is really stupi. I like the fact they go to PKs to decide the winner for draws in the knockout rounds , but its so stupid how close it is. The GK has no chance, they dive the wrong way half of the time. Wouldnt it be more skillful, and more entertaining for it to be twice as far out and see some real strikes? Just makes total sense to do that to me...and why they still have draws is beyond me.

BWillie
07-06-2014, 03:10 PM
Probably the dumbest post of the thread.

The highest rated world cup game did not include the US.

What really? Non US world cup games IN THE US out drew the games the US actually played in??? Where do you see that

jd1020
07-06-2014, 07:16 PM
and why they still have draws is beyond me.

You mean like american football, hockey, etc..

BWillie
07-06-2014, 07:20 PM
You mean like american football, hockey, etc..
There has seriously been like two draws in the NFL in like six years. Its so rare that in the last one many players mentioned they didn't even know the rules and that the game can even end in a tie.

Lengthen the PK, no ties no matter what. You have to admit it would be better. Soccer should really consider some changes, just like the NBA added the 3 pt line, the shot clock, etc

jd1020
07-06-2014, 07:21 PM
There has seriously been line two draws in the NFL in like six years. Its so rare that in the last one many players mentioned they didn't even know the rules and that the game can even end in a tie.

Lengthen the PK, no ties no matter what. You have to admit it would be better. Soccer should really consider some changes, just like the NBA added the 3 pt line, the

I think soccer is doing just fine.

Sully
07-06-2014, 07:36 PM
I'm always amused when people spout off about how little athleticism it takes to play any given sport.
Ummm, those guys are making MILLIONS. If it's that easy, why aren't you doing it? You hate money?

Eleazar
07-06-2014, 08:50 PM
There has seriously been like two draws in the NFL in like six years. Its so rare that in the last one many players mentioned they didn't even know the rules and that the game can even end in a tie.

Lengthen the PK, no ties no matter what. You have to admit it would be better. Soccer should really consider some changes, just like the NBA added the 3 pt line, the shot clock, etc

The popularity of soccer doesn't seem to be suffering.

It's just not an instant gratification sport like we Mericans are used to

BWillie
07-06-2014, 08:57 PM
I'm always amused when people spout off about how little athleticism it takes to play any given sport.
Ummm, those guys are making MILLIONS. If it's that easy, why aren't you doing it? You hate money?

Just because its difficult doesn't mean you have to be a great athlete to do it.

Sully
07-06-2014, 09:10 PM
Just because its difficult doesn't mean you have to be a great athlete to do it.

So anyone could do it with some work and practice, then?

BWillie
07-06-2014, 09:13 PM
So anyone could do it with some work and practice, then?
Absolutely not. Could anyone be a competitive eating champion with some practice? Of course not. Same with golf, mlb pitchers. You can be a an unathletic statue and still be skilled at those as well.

Baby Lee
07-06-2014, 09:51 PM

Athleticism is probably the single biggest hurdle to international soccer greatness. There are tons and tons of players who can pull off a set piece shot like Messi and Sneijder, and a different set of tons and tons who can make fancy moves like Ronaldo and Ronaldinho, and Lord knows there are tons and tons of workout warriors who can run at pace for 90+ minutes like Robben.

But soccer calls upon you to run like a cross country competitor most of the match, take on physical confrontations and be the stronger competitor from head to toe, leap for headers, sprint for through balls, match up on defense, . . and here's the kicker, be sharp enough to do those things you've practiced and practiced, when you're completely knackered in the final minutes.

It's like asking LeBron James to run a marathon at a competitive time with a bunch of Kenyans, then asking him to shoot a pair of free throws, a contested 3pter and then slam dunk over Shaq.

But there's no athleticism in soccer.

Truth be told, the athleticism aspect of international soccer was a bigger impediment than the spectre of having to live overseas to make money. I loved to play striker, and ran ran ran like there was no tomorrow. But I hated long distance running, every moment of it. Hated every aspect of soccer that required athleticism over skill. I enjoyed outrunning opponents in bursts, and the creativity of creating chances to score. If there had been an alternate universe where indoor soccer with it's more intricate foot skills and smaller field was the 'Premiere League' I'd have liked to live in that universe. But the 'beautiful game' requires a marathoner's mentality with the skill of one who puts on the 'green jacket.'

jd1020
07-06-2014, 10:02 PM
You mean to tell me that every player of a sport has just been practicing for a very long time at their sport and have become good at it?

BREAKING NEWS!!!!

morphius
07-06-2014, 10:11 PM
The popularity of soccer doesn't seem to be suffering.

It's just not an instant gratification sport like we Mericans are used to
just to see what it would do I would love to see a rule change and there being no offsides when the ball is in the penalty box.