PDA

View Full Version : Royals How many people here were Kansas City Athletics fans?

teedubya
07-04-2014, 09:58 PM
I'm curious how many here actually saw a game of theirs or was a fan of theirs... anyone here go to Municipal Stadium?

How long did you stay a fan of the Athletics after they left town and won 3 World Series' in a row?

That would have been some shit. Reggie Jackson goes on to become HOF... Rollie Fingers... Vida Blue... could have been KC championships.

How many of you old timers still remember those days?

BWillie
07-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Nope

gblowfish
07-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Screw them.
Screw their entire franchise, and their entire city.
Charlie Finley can burn in Hell.
Their whole city is a cesspool.

And if the Royals ever salute them again, I'm gonna go postal.

Prison Bitch
07-04-2014, 10:13 PM
George, you're still pissed about that?

stonedstooge
07-04-2014, 10:13 PM
Campy Campanris was my first favorite player. I remember going to Municipal with Cub Scouts and someone got stabbed outside one of the gates

Chiefshrink
07-04-2014, 10:14 PM
I hear the Finleys and Modells are related;)

Prison Bitch
07-04-2014, 10:27 PM
In Charlie's defense we didn't draw flies. Last four years: 9/10, 9/10, 10/10, 9/10 in attendance averaging 8-9k per game every year.

srvy
07-04-2014, 11:53 PM
I was and seen then a few times as a tike. Campy was the man.

Dave Lane
07-04-2014, 11:57 PM
Yo

Dave Lane
07-04-2014, 11:58 PM
Jim Catfish Hunter.

cdcox
07-05-2014, 12:20 AM
Nope, we were away from Kansas City during the years I became interested in professional sports. By the time we moved back, they were gone. But I've been to Municipal Stadium to see the Chiefs.

ChiefsCountry
07-05-2014, 01:08 AM
In Charlie's defense we didn't draw flies. Last four years: 9/10, 9/10, 10/10, 9/10 in attendance averaging 8-9k per game every year.

You do realize he tried to move the team to Louisville in 1964 which lead to the horrible attendance.

teedubya
07-05-2014, 02:13 AM
You do realize he tried to move the team to Louisville in 1964 which lead to the horrible attendance.

Interesting.

teedubya
07-05-2014, 02:15 AM
Campy Campanris was my first favorite player. I remember going to Municipal with Cub Scouts and someone got stabbed outside one of the gates

I bet that Truman Sports Complex has the higher total of deaths, though.

Gonzo
07-05-2014, 03:14 AM
How did you get to games... Mastodon?

WilliamTheIrish
07-05-2014, 04:04 AM
I was young but saw them several times. I have many older brothers who saw them a lot. I've discussed this vey thing several times with regards to the A's moving away and 5 years later becoming 3 time WS champions.

Go download/read the 1986 Bill James Baseball Abstract. James describes in great detail the antics of Charlie Finley and his move from KC.

stonedstooge
07-05-2014, 08:00 AM
I got Vida Blue's autograph in 1971 when he was the hottest pitcher in baseball. He came out one of the tunnels in the old stadium before the game (he was pitching that day) and me and my buddy were the only 2 that went up to him and asked for his sig. He signed my baseball over where it was stamped with writing. I loved him anyway. He was a friggen stud that year

DanT
07-05-2014, 09:35 AM
I went to a lot of Royals games at Municipal Stadium and then went to Lincoln for junior and senior high, so I've spent a lot of time around 22nd and Brooklyn, but I don't remember seeing any A's games there. I was born in December, 1965, so I was a toddler when the A's left KC.

I'm pretty sure our whole family saw the last Royals game at Municipal. One of my first times at Royals Stadium was May 15, 1973, when Nolan Ryan threw his first no-hitter.

DanT
07-05-2014, 09:42 AM
I got Vida Blue's autograph in 1971 when he was the hottest pitcher in baseball. He came out one of the tunnels in the old stadium before the game (he was pitching that day) and me and my buddy were the only 2 that went up to him and asked for his sig. He signed my baseball over where it was stamped with writing. I loved him anyway. He was a friggen stud that year

My younger brother and I got autographs around that same time from a couple of Twins that were sitting on stools in an area that must have been either a bullpen or a runway to the visitor clubhouse...I'm not sure which. We had box seats that day, which was very unusual for us, as we would normally be in the bleachers for weekend games. Anyway, a lot of Twins went by and we didn't get any autographs, so these two took pity on us...turned out the players were Tony Oliva and Harmon Killebrew, two superstars who also were nice guys. Killebrew ended his career with the Royals.

Deberg_1990
07-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Screw them.
Screw their entire franchise, and their entire city.
Charlie Finley can burn in Hell.
Their whole city is a cesspool.

And if the Royals ever salute them again, I'm gonna go postal.

Well, obviously George remembers them. Welp, at least Vida Blue became a Royal.

Bowser
07-05-2014, 09:57 AM
Wasn't born yet, and I'm pretty old by CP standards.

stonedstooge
07-05-2014, 09:59 AM
My younger brother and I got autographs around that same time from a couple of Twins that were sitting on stools in an area that must have been either a bullpen or a runway to the visitor clubhouse...I'm not sure which. We had box seats that day, which was very unusual for us, as we would normally be in the bleachers for weekend games. Anyway, a lot of Twins went by and we didn't get any autographs, so these two took pity on us...turned out the players were Tony Oliva and Harmon Killebrew, two superstars who also were nice guys. Killebrew ended his career with the Royals.

Both sides of my family were from N. Dakota and Minnesota and we moved to Missouri in the early 60's. When I was young they'd tease me about the A's and then the Royals. I guess they could afford to be smug sitting on Oliva, Carew, Allison and Killebrew

Idahojim
07-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Lived in KC when I was in second and third grade. My dad took me to several A's games at Municipal. You could walk up on a Sunday and get box seats behind the dugout. One of my biggest thrills there was seeing Roger Maris hit No. 53 during the year he chased the Babe. Stadium was full, and cheered him like we were at Yankee Stadium. The rabbit that came out of the ground to give umpires a new supply of baseballs was cool, too.

DanT
07-05-2014, 10:12 AM
Both sides of my family were from N. Dakota and Minnesota and we moved to Missouri in the early 60's. When I was young they'd tease me about the A's and then the Royals. I guess they could afford to be smug sitting on Oliva, Carew, Allison and Killebrew

Yes, that franchise has had some terrific players. I've always liked them, but I feel lucky to be a Royals fan, especially with the classiness of the organization when Mr. Kauffman owned them.

TLO
07-05-2014, 10:13 AM
Just a bit before my time.

ChiefsCountry
07-05-2014, 11:00 AM
but I feel lucky to be a Royals fan, especially with the classiness of the organization when Mr. Kauffman owned them.

Other than the coke bust in the 80s. ;)

Deberg_1990
07-05-2014, 11:53 AM
Other than the coke bust in the 80s. ;)

Which ironically Vida Blue was a part of.

cmh6476
04-04-2024, 08:39 PM
From Philly -> KC -> Oakland -> Sacramento

“I’m thrilled to welcome the A’s to Sutter Health Park, where players and fans alike can enjoy a world-class baseball experience and create unforgettable memories,” Ranadivé said in a release. “Today marks the next chapter of professional sports in Sacramento. The passion of our fans is second to none, and this is an incredible opportunity to showcase one of the most dynamic and vibrant markets in the country.”

Ranadivé later told KCRA 3 that he viewed the decision to bring the A’s to Sacramento as an audition for a permanent team.

The A's will play at Sutter Health Park for the next three seasons — there is an option for a fourth season — as the team's permanent home in Las Vegas is not expected to be ready until 2028.

The A's' lease in Oakland expires after the 2024 season.

https://www.kcra.com/article/sacramento-a-s-sutter-health-park-confirmed/60396053?fbclid=IwAR0iZF2HyCmzqsSexEUIDCltM53uJhgJG0N6llwKlGUR4V6zYQ8dVYjRRqg_aem_AeB1vUQugGyceswTuJ UsJl0oxgPxLAlvCox4YDVY8Ys6Sff8uFHDWiIvZkdwEH8qTZ1gDOGQUCM4xeRLcFUHlVpk

ChiefsCountry
04-04-2024, 09:42 PM
Kauffman Stadium is now the same age that Municipal Stadium was when they left it.