PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Talk about your favorite "Food Trucks" please

Deberg_1990
07-08-2014, 04:53 PM
Seems to be the the latest craze hitting the cities.

Do you have food trucks in your area? What have you tried?

Recommendations? Good experiences? Bad ones?

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/21-best-food-trucks-in-america-of-2014-thrillist-nation

TLO
07-08-2014, 04:56 PM
GOD DAMN YOU DEBERG AND YOUR THREADS!

kcjayhawks5
07-08-2014, 04:56 PM
The Flying Stove

KCUnited
07-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Love the Revoke Deberg's Thread Starting Ability truck.

Bugeater
07-08-2014, 05:02 PM
Love the taco trucks in south Omaha. There's also some Louisiana style food truck I've seen in my area but I have yet to have a chance to stop at it.

DaFace
07-08-2014, 05:02 PM
I love food trucks. They have a thing here in Denver where about 20 of them pile into the park right outside my office on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the summer. It's glorious.

My favorite (just because it's crazy weird food) is called PinkTank (http://www.pinktank.co/). One of my favorite dishes to give you the idea:

The F-Bomb
¼ lb all beef hot dog, scrambled eggs, crispy thick-cut bacon, broiled cheddar cheese and our caramel-maple syrup, served on homemade French toast and dusted with powdered sugar.

hometeam
07-08-2014, 05:03 PM
The taco truck here in town is fucking incredible~

BigChiefFan
07-08-2014, 05:08 PM
Taco truck with fajita meat soaked in Sunny Delight and topped with onions and cilantro. It's the bomb.

Baby Lee
07-08-2014, 05:11 PM
There was food truck next to WashU that was a clusterfuck of marketing.

Brown truck, UPS brown with lime green flowers, and the name was 'Sophia's.' Nothing indicating the type, style or nature of the cuisine. No menu on the side of the truck.

I walked by and noted nothing that would urge me to check it out further. Some people were cooking something inside, but it didn't emit any enticing [or otherwise] aromas either.

Shrugged my shoulders and walked on.

Just Passin' By
07-08-2014, 05:11 PM
I love food trucks. They have a thing here in Denver where about 20 of them pile into the park right outside my office on Tuesdays and Thursdays in the summer. It's glorious.

My favorite (just because it's crazy weird food) is called PinkTank (http://www.pinktank.co/). One of my favorite dishes to give you the idea:

That sandwich sounds interesting. I'm not sure about the broiled cheddar combined with the maple, but I'd definitely be willing to give it a shot.

cosmo20002
07-08-2014, 05:13 PM
There was food truck next to WashU that was a cluster**** of marketing.

Brown truck, UPS brown with lime green flowers, and the name was 'Sophia's.' Nothing indicating the type, style or nature of the cuisine. No menu on the side of the truck.

I walked by and noted nothing that would urge me to check it out further. Some people were cooking something inside, but it didn't emit any enticing [or otherwise] aromas either.

cool

Deberg_1990
07-08-2014, 05:21 PM

Yea, same here. Certain days where like 10 of them park in a lot near the business district.

Some of them are kinda pricey, but whats cool about them is the experimental nature.

What ive always wondered was how they can afford to stay in business? Realistically, people mostly only eat at them for lunch. Who eats at a food truck for dinner?

sedated
07-08-2014, 05:29 PM
Overpriced and I dont like standing when I eat.

DaFace
07-08-2014, 06:18 PM
Yea, same here. Certain days where like 10 of them park in a lot near the business district.

Some of them are kinda pricey, but whats cool about them is the experimental nature.

What ive always wondered was how they can afford to stay in business? Realistically, people mostly only eat at them for lunch. Who eats at a food truck for dinner?

Around here, a lot of them tag team to provide food at microbreweries that don't serve food of their own. Still, can't be an easy way to make a living.

BucEyedPea
07-08-2014, 06:47 PM
Never eaten at one—let alone see one around. Just at a fair or something like that.

-King-
07-08-2014, 07:06 PM

http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/24o40w/iama_foodtruck_owner_having_his_slowest_night/

NewChief
07-08-2014, 07:09 PM
Not my favorite but a local one that gets a lot of national love due to its name: the Grillenium Falcon.
http://roaminghunger.com/img/trucks/original/4ec1ead1-0a04-4cf9-b57e-5f1f46204482.jpg

dmahurin
07-08-2014, 07:14 PM
I don't know the name of it, but it's a Cajun food here in KC. They made a jambalaya burrito. It was awesome.

Just Passin' By
07-08-2014, 07:26 PM
http://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/24o40w/iama_foodtruck_owner_having_his_slowest_night/

From that link, talking about his best grilled cheese recipe:

The one that got me trophies was: Coffee and Lavender Cheddar, with Thick-Cut Dark Chocolate Covered Bacon, on Crème Brûlée Sourdough

kcxiv
07-08-2014, 07:27 PM
Latest? shit, i been eating at food trucks AKA Taco trucks for well over 20 years. lol

KcMizzou
07-08-2014, 07:32 PM
Not a food truck... but there's a mexican lady who comes by my place of work once a week. Just her and her son, selling tamales out of an Igloo cooler. You get 4 in a zip-lock bag for 5 bucks.

I was kinda wary at first, but she's a friend of a co-worker, and I'll be damned if they aren't delicious.

TimBone
07-08-2014, 07:33 PM
There was food truck next to WashU that was a clusterfuck of marketing.

I demand you give them a try and report back to us.

TribalElder
07-08-2014, 07:37 PM
I believe on average that food trucks are cleaner during health inspector checks than brick and mortar stores.

http://www.kshb.com/lifestyle/food/study-says-food-trucks-are-cleaner-than-restaurants

Aries Walker
07-08-2014, 07:48 PM
In Northwest DC there's a Mexican restaurant called Tacos el Chilango, that started as a food truck established by two brothers who moved up here and just started making tacos the way their mother used to in Mexico City. It made enough money to become a full-sized restaurant and it's one of Zagat's best places to get Mexican in DC, and it's delicious.

Don't miss the habanero salsa.

Deberg_1990
07-08-2014, 07:51 PM
Not a food truck... but there's a mexican lady who comes by my place of work once a week. Just her and her son, selling tamales out of an Igloo cooler. You get 4 in a zip-lock bag for 5 bucks.

I was kinda wary at first, but she's a friend of a co-worker, and I'll be damned if they aren't delicious.

Sometimes those are the best!

KcMizzou
07-08-2014, 08:01 PM
Sometimes those are the best!Honestly, I'd never had a real tamale before. The corn husk threw me off..lol

Deberg_1990
07-08-2014, 08:10 PM
Honestly, I'd never had a real tamale before. The corn husk threw me off..lol

We used to have a Philippino lady who would come around and sell Lumpia she had freshly made. Delicious!

Pasta Little Brioni
07-08-2014, 08:17 PM
Jfc

Deberg_1990
07-08-2014, 08:21 PM
Latest? shit, i been eating at food trucks AKA Taco trucks for well over 20 years. lol

Does a "Roach Coach" qualify as a Food Truck?

Simply Red
07-09-2014, 08:07 AM
Bump

sedated
07-09-2014, 08:20 AM

I chatted with the owners of one and they said that they do a lot of corporate things - offices will schedule them for a day and typically buy everyone's lunch.

For dinner they go to bar districts to get walk-up traffic.

They'll use twitter/facebook to let everyone know where they will be that day. After having some tacos from "Crave KC", one of my co-workers checks constantly to see if they are back in the area.

Since the start-up and labor costs are so low compared to a restaurant, I'd imagine they aren't under as much pressure to sell as much food.

loochy
07-09-2014, 11:09 AM
Never eaten at one—let alone see one around. Just at a fair or something like that.

It must not be a northeast thing. Here in Texas it is a craze. Fort Worth has a food truck park that changes vendors every few days.

BucEyedPea
07-09-2014, 02:51 PM
It must not be a northeast thing. Here in Texas it is a craze. Fort Worth has a food truck park that changes vendors every few days.

Well, I am in the Southeast now—for awhile. Tho' I never saw 'em up there either.

I saw one at an outdoor trade show I did last Spring in Virgina and there were several. But it was regular food or ice-cream—nothing special or experimental. Like at a fair.That's about it. Oh! I've seen them on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives on FoodNetwork. They sound cool.

Stewie
07-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Where I used to work we had a "gourmet" food truck show up every day for about three weeks. To buy an average lunch (sandwich, side, drink) was about $9. As I said, they lasted about three weeks.

Just Passin' By
07-09-2014, 03:03 PM

Four years ago, there were -- count 'em -- zero food trucks in the Hub. Today, there are over 50, with new ones rolling out seemingly every month. In fact, Boston's mobile kitchen revolution has been so successful that a handful of early pioneers have already parlayed their success into legit brick-and-mortar restaurants.

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/boston/food-trucksin-boston

There's also a site that lists locations for some of the trucks, in case any of you are heading that way in the future:

http://www.cityofboston.gov/foodtrucks/schedule-tabs.asp

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-09-2014, 03:08 PM
Having seen and worked with some of the characters who come to my shop asking for stainless steel for their food trucks, I'm going with..."none".

DaFace
07-09-2014, 04:32 PM
Having seen and worked with some of the characters who come to my shop asking for stainless steel for their food trucks, I'm going with..."none".

I'm sure fast food workers are fastidious about their hygiene.

Deberg_1990
07-09-2014, 05:03 PM
Where I used to work we had a "gourmet" food truck show up every day for about three weeks. To buy an average lunch (sandwich, side, drink) was about $9. As I said, they lasted about three weeks.

Yea, most of them are considered "gourmet" so with that comes a price.

They tend to cater to a more upscale/business crowd.

NewChief
07-09-2014, 05:09 PM
Yea, most of them are considered "gourmet" so with that comes a price.

They tend to cater to a more upscale/business crowd.

The best thing about our food truck scene is that it works as a business incubator for prospective restaurant owners. Four of our businesses started as trucks and now operate highly successful brick and mortar restaurants. It's quintessential lean startup.

Another interesting phenom has been the established restaurants who now buy trucks/trailers to allow them to cater more successfully.

We have a food truck court complete with those strange magnetic draft beer dispensers that fill from the bottom up here now. I confess... I haven't been as of yet.

srvy
07-09-2014, 05:34 PM
I mentioned in another thread but for those in KC area and ever see the red Giovanni's Deli roach coach. Thats some pretty fine eats. It does come pretty penny too.

When I worked on a remote petroleum pipeline in Cali, Nevada and Oregon there was not enough towns, food or lodging so the set up man camps for the construction.

The guys that got the food contracts were companies that setup food for Hollywood movie shoots. They moved in with huge motor homes type deals with a whole kitchen setup. They worked cooked to order like short order. But there food was diverse. You could just tell them what you wanted and they could slap it together like nobodies business. My god the fresh fruit was incredible. Now we didn't think much of the man camp thing. You spend any amount of time in there you would become a useless alcoholic or drug addict and that's is no BS. One of my co-workers decided it was time to buy a trailer and I rented for small fee from him and got out there.

Spokane Chief Fan
07-09-2014, 05:44 PM
They are having the NW Foodtruck Palooza on July 20 in Spokane Wa. $15 dollar general admission and all you can eat. They are only selling 1500 tickets I believe.