PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL Sunday Ticket streaming now a standalone product

DaFace
07-16-2014, 02:48 PM
https://nflst.directv.com/DTVAPP/nflws/index.jsp

As a caveat, it looks like they may restrict who can get it to people in apartments and that kind of thing. Tough to say for sure.

What is NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV?
NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV is an app that gives you access to live, out-of-market NFL games every Sunday—without the need for a DIRECTV satellite TV account. You can stream games on your computer, tablet, phone, or game console, depending on the package you choose. The 2014 app will be available to download on August 30, 2014, and streaming will begin September 7, 2014. Eligibility is based on your area, residence type, or enrollment in select universities. For more information, please visit NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV.
http://i.imgur.com/FJN4Ln1.png

Reerun_KC
07-16-2014, 02:50 PM
Just cancelled it today....

DaFace
07-16-2014, 02:52 PM
Just cancelled it today....

Yeah, this isn't going to be news for anyone who has DirecTV. It's huge news for those who don't though.

Discuss Thrower
Wow.

siberian khatru
Wife just got us re-upped, deal she got from DTV was Sunday Ticket Max for $31.99 a month for 6 months. I thought that was OK, since I was prepared to go with ST basic (i.e., no more Red Zone) because of the big price difference.

But this ...

Can the games be Chromecasted from your computer or tablet to your big-screen TV?

Reerun_KC
Yeah, this isn't going to be news for anyone who has DirecTV. It's huge news for those who don't though.

Absolutely it is....

Fish
07-16-2014, 02:59 PM
Who wants to share a subscription?

kcpasco
07-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Awesome, even though I have Direct TV I never liked the monopoly they had on this. Maybe this will force them to lower their outrageous price and be competitive.

Bufkin
07-16-2014, 03:04 PM
Is it compatible with PS3 streaming? I have DISH, and Directv quickly informed me over the phone earlier this summer that I would have to purchase their plan in order to take advantage of Sunday Ticket.

DaFace
07-16-2014, 03:05 PM
Is it compatible with PS3 streaming? I have DISH, and Directv quickly informed me over the phone earlier this summer that I would have to purchase their plan in order to take advantage of Sunday Ticket.

Yep. I think you have to pay the middle price for it, but PS3 is listed as a compatible device.

hometeam
07-16-2014, 03:09 PM
LOL still way too much money. I have the bandwidth but not gonna pay that.

kcpasco
07-16-2014, 03:13 PM
Now if only Dish and cable can get access.

BigMeatballDave
07-16-2014, 03:19 PM
Now if only Dish and cable can get access.

I wonder why that is?

I just don't think they are willing pony up.

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Who wants to share a subscription?

Think only 1 person at a time can be logged in.

Kansas City Kid
07-16-2014, 03:22 PM
I wonder why that is?

I just don't think they are willing pony up.

Directv has exclusive rights until 2015. 2014 season could be the last. They paid $4 billion for four years.

DaFace
07-16-2014, 03:24 PM

Yep, that's the issue. You can have someone watching on TV and another online, but not two people online simultaneously.

BigMeatballDave
07-16-2014, 03:28 PM
Directv has exclusive rights until 2015. 2014 season could be the last. They paid $4 billion for four years.

Because DTV is willing pay. Other providers are permitted to bid on it.

MagicHef
07-16-2014, 03:30 PM
This is only Sunday morning and afternoon games, correct? SNF, MNF, TNF are not included?

hometeam
07-16-2014, 03:32 PM
This is only Sunday morning and afternoon games, correct? SNF, MNF, TNF are not included?

Right, and it doesn't include local games, they are blacked out on ST and you have to watch them on your local channel.

Unless of course they are blacked out locally, then they appear on ST.

Kansas City Kid
07-16-2014, 03:35 PM
Because DTV is willing pay. Other providers are permitted to bid on it.

Not until 2015 when the exclusive rights are up.

BigMeatballDave
07-16-2014, 03:37 PM
Not until 2015 when the exclusive rights are up.

No shit.

Dish and Cable have had plenty of opportunities in the past.

dallaschiefsfan
07-16-2014, 03:37 PM
For clarity, this is only for people who CANNOT receive DirecTV satellite TV service for some reason. Of course, there are ways around that...

Kansas City Kid
07-16-2014, 03:38 PM
No shit.

Dish and Cable have had plenty of opportunities in the past.

Not since 2009 when Directv and the NFL signed the exclusive rights agreement, dummy.

DaFace
07-16-2014, 03:40 PM
For clarity, this is only for people who CANNOT receive DirecTV satellite TV service for some reason. Of course, there are ways around that...

Hmmm...that's a good point. I found this in the FAQ:

What is NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV?
NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV is an app that gives you access to live, out-of-market NFL games every Sunday—without the need for a DIRECTV satellite TV account. You can stream games on your computer, tablet, phone, or game console, depending on the package you choose. The 2014 app will be available to download on August 30, 2014, and streaming will begin September 7, 2014. Eligibility is based on your area, residence type, or enrollment in select universities. For more information, please visit NFLSUNDAYTICKET.TV.

So it may not be an option if you're in a normal old house and could easily get DirecTV. I'll add that to the OP.

Fish
07-16-2014, 03:42 PM

Those smart sons of bitches....

BigMeatballDave
07-16-2014, 03:44 PM
Not since 2009 when Directv and the NFL signed the exclusive rights agreement, dummy.Again, no shit.

You are missing my point.

Dish and Cable have had opportunities to bid on it in the past.

If not, isn't that is a huge anti-trust lawsuit?

DaFace
07-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Again, no shit.

You are missing my point.

Dish and Cable have had opportunities to bid on it in the past.

If not, isn't that is a huge anti-trust lawsuit?

Yeah, they've had plenty of chances over the years. There are rumors that Google has been sniffing around lately as well. It could be interesting next year.

dallaschiefsfan
07-16-2014, 03:45 PM
Anyone with a house that can receive their TV service does not qualify for this product...technically. Just find a friend that hates football and lives in an apartment that can't have a satellite dish and use his/her billing address with his/her knowledge.

Bufkin
07-16-2014, 03:48 PM
Anyone with a house that can receive their TV service does not qualify for this product...technically. Just find a friend that hates football and lives in an apartment that can't have a satellite dish and use his/her billing address with his/her knowledge.
fucking scumbags. What if I'm a college student and don't feel like overpaying for a shitty TV plan? Since you have a fucking monopoly on football, just let me give you the 300 bucks and let me watch it on my iPad.

suzzer99
07-16-2014, 03:50 PM
This has been available to people in NYC for a while I think. It's now extended to students, people in apartments who can't get directv and some more cities (SF, Philly, maybe others).

suzzer99
07-16-2014, 03:50 PM
****ing scumbags. What if I'm a college student and don't feel like overpaying for a shitty TV plan? Since you have a ****ing monopoly on football, just let me give you the 300 bucks and let me watch it on my iPad.

That's exactly what they're doing. As long as you can prove you're a student you can get this standalone.

Bufkin
07-16-2014, 03:51 PM
That's exactly what they're doing. As long as you can prove you're a student you can get this standalone.
I thought he said anyone with a house that can receive their TV service does not qualify for this product?

EDIT: Ah okay, I missed the student part. Good deal.

dallaschiefsfan
07-16-2014, 03:53 PM
It just needs to be NLF.TV...and work exactly like MLB.TV - which is the best pay-for product in sports based on bang for buck.

Deberg_1990
07-16-2014, 03:54 PM

How much should it be?

In58men
07-16-2014, 03:57 PM
I thought they don't stream through PS3 anymore?

Kansas City Kid
07-16-2014, 03:58 PM
Directv has had it since 1994 and unless they re-up in 2015 the AT&T deal falls through. You can be assured Sunday Ticket will remain exclusively on Directv.

BigMeatballDave
07-16-2014, 04:00 PM
Directv has had it since 1994 and unless they re-up in 2015 the AT&T deal falls through. You can be assured Sunday Ticket will remain exclusively on Directv.

You are still not getting it.

Kansas City Kid
07-16-2014, 04:02 PM
Yes, other carriers have had the option. It hasn't happened in 20 years and won't happen for another 20.

The Franchise
07-16-2014, 04:07 PM
Right, and it doesn't include local games, they are blacked out on ST and you have to watch them on your local channel.

Unless of course they are blacked out locally, then they appear on ST.

I'm pretty sure that blacked out locally games don't appear on ST.

BigMeatballDave
07-16-2014, 04:08 PM
Yes, other carriers have had the option. It hasn't happened in 20 years and won't happen for another 20.

Not if Google has anything to say about it.

I bet they could outbid Directv.

Prior to the NFL's latest television deal, other satellite and cable providers were allowed to bid on the rights to carry NFL Sunday Ticket if they agreed to carry the NFL Network. However, DirecTV still won exclusivity for the package, bidding over $700 million a year to do so. Per Wikipedia

Kansas City Kid
07-16-2014, 04:10 PM
Great source. Sunday Ticket will remain with Directv.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-16-2014, 04:10 PM
I have the Max and my password might be up for sale if my father-in-law doesn't want it.

Fish
07-16-2014, 04:13 PM

Actually... it's only students from "Eligible" colleges and universities. Which is only 10 universities according to their sign up process.....

http://i57.tinypic.com/1z673q0.png

Bufkin
07-16-2014, 04:15 PM
Actually... it's only students from "Eligible" colleges and universities. Which is only 10 universities according to their sign up process.....
Wellp, back to the drawing board. Chances are, if you're attending ****ing Harvard, you don't need the discounted student price. Community College students such as myself who would eat a dead dog dick for 20 dollars, it kinda comes in handy if you don't want to pay the shit ton of money that is Directv.

ThaVirus
07-16-2014, 04:20 PM
I have the Max and my password might be up for sale if my father-in-law doesn't want it.

I might be interested. Holler at a player..

BigMeatballDave
07-16-2014, 04:24 PM
Great source. Sunday Ticket will remain with Directv.

Wiki was not my source for Google making a bid. I was trying to illustrate my point that you seem to be missing.

You don't think Google can get it?

Chiefs Pantalones
07-16-2014, 04:38 PM
The sale of DirecTV has sparked plenty of chatter about the future of NFL Sunday Ticket, especially with the acquisition of the company by AT&T potentially hinging on a renewal of the package.

For now, it appears that DirecTV will indeed re-up the arrangement it’s now had for 20 years. According to John Ourand of SportsBusiness Daily, DirecTV’s exclusive negotiating window has expired, but the NFL has yet to spark “serious negotiations” with competitors — and it’s “likely” DirecTV will renew the popular service that allows fans to watch all (or in some cities most) Sunday afternoon games.

The timing, with the proposed purchase being announced before DirecTV has finalized an extension, could complicate the effort to keep the rights. It’s a fair guess, however, that some winking and/or nodding has occurred between the league and DirecTV regarding the parameters of a new deal. Otherwise, the deal between AT&T and DirecTV wouldn’t have happened yet.

Either way, the regulatory process is expected to delay closing by roughly a year. That’s plenty of time for DirecTV to wrap up its next contract with the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/05/19/report-directv-likely-to-renew-nfl-sunday-ticket/

ThaVirus
07-16-2014, 04:38 PM
Wiki was not my source for Google making a bid. I was trying to illustrate my point that you seem to be missing.

Google can get it. Google can get it allllll night long.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mah116lsNT1rrpsd7.gif

Chiefs Pantalones
07-16-2014, 04:45 PM
And in May I remember the commissioner saying a new deal is close with DirecTV. I heard it on NFL Network.

Dayze
07-16-2014, 05:00 PM

I think so. this is also a huge reason I canceled a year ago. too expensive considering how many games are nationally televised these days.

Hootie
07-16-2014, 05:04 PM
pretty excited about the Console Streaming...that's awesome!

I recently cancelled cable and use my 360 for HBO GO, Netflix, Hulu Plus, MLB.TV, WatchESPN and I also jacked my mom's Xfinity password so I'm basically getting cable for:

$19.99 (xfinity internet)
$125 (MLB.TV for the year)
$7.99 (Hulu Plus)
free Netflix (friend doesn't use his so I use it)
free HBO GO (mom has it so her PW gets me access)
free ESPN

my old cable bill was like $140. I literally only used HBO and ESPN. I actually have access to more channels/movies/ESPN networks now that I don't pay for shit.

so I'm definitely going to pop $230 to get the ticket on my 360. I was just griping the other day about not having access to that so this is a big, big, big win for me

and I live in apt that doesn't allow satellite so I'm sure I'll qualify

Chiefs Pantalones
07-16-2014, 05:35 PM
I might be interested. Holler at a player..

No problem.

srvy
07-16-2014, 05:41 PM
How does DTV know if you live in a homes association that restricts satellite dishes? For that matter building or trees restrictions.

suzzer99
07-16-2014, 06:02 PM
I'm sure they have a database of complexes where they can't provide service. For the trees I think you have to have them come out and investigate.

Carlota69
07-16-2014, 06:17 PM
Wife just got us re-upped, deal she got from DTV was Sunday Ticket Max for $31.99 a month for 6 months. I thought that was OK, since I was prepared to go with ST basic (i.e., no more Red Zone) because of the big price difference.

But this ...

Can the games be Chromecasted from your computer or tablet to your big-screen TV?

That's wayyyyy too much. Call back and cancel saying it's too much and you've had some financial difficulties come up. Be super nice and they'll drop the price more or you'll get $100 Visa card like I did.

hometeam
07-16-2014, 06:20 PM
How much should it be?

For me? Someone who has paid DTV out the ass for 11 years? Free.

Or at least it has been every year for 8 years running (I might have paid half one year not sure)

I mean, if I was a new customer who hadn't yet been raped they would be gentler with me, so I see no reason why 200 bucks for streaming driect ticket is even an option. I would pay 60 maybe.

Deberg_1990
07-16-2014, 06:22 PM

Or at least it has been every year for 8 years running (I might have paid half one year not sure)

I mean, if I was a new customer who hadn't yet been raped they would be gentler with me, so I see no reason why 200 bucks for streaming driect ticket is even an option. I would pay 60 maybe.

Sunday Ticket is an entirely different thing than your Direct TV subscription.

It might be too expensive for you or not worth it, thats fine. But the market sets the price. If Direct TV isnt selling enough subscriptions to it, they will lower the price. The demand is obviously high for it. Plenty of people willing to pay.

Carlota69
07-16-2014, 06:25 PM

That's what mine came out to after my $100 visa card

siberian khatru
07-16-2014, 06:30 PM
That's wayyyyy too much. Call back and cancel saying it's too much and you've had some financial difficulties come up. Be super nice and they'll drop the price more or you'll get $100 Visa card like I did.

I did that last year and didn't get that deal. And based on recent posts in the other thread, it sounds like that is now VERY hard to get. I was fairly pleased with this deal. Lots of other folks threatened to cancel and said DTV basically told them to pound sand.

Carlota69
07-16-2014, 06:33 PM
I did that last year and didn't get that deal. And based on recent posts in the other thread, it sounds like that is now VERY hard to get. I was fairly pleased with this deal. Lots of other folks threatened to cancel and said DTV basically told them to pound sand.

They told me to pound sand, until I started actually making arrangements to cancel. My deal started out at 199, then $160, now it's 60. It took 3 phone calls tho and being really really nice and calm. Just trying to help.

hometeam
07-16-2014, 06:33 PM
Sunday Ticket is an entirely different thing than your Direct TV subscription.

It might be too expensive for you or not worth it, thats fine. But the market sets the price. If Direct TV isnt selling enough subscriptions to it, they will lower the price. The demand is obviously high for it. Plenty of people willing to pay.

Why thank you oh master of economics.

I have yet to call this year to see what kind of deal I can get on direct ticket, but I have gotten it essentially for free every year for the past 8.

Tell me again why I should cough up 200 bucks for a streaming version? (hypothetically, since I know now I couldn't even get this service)

Shaid
07-16-2014, 06:54 PM

I did chromecast with it last year and it worked well. I heard a few other people had trouble with it so it probably depends on your connection, router, etc.

07-16-2014, 08:53 PM
As expected. I'm not eligible. Not that I would pay for this but if I lived out of market I would rather have this than a DTV package. pure bullshit move.

lewdog
07-16-2014, 09:13 PM
Anyone know when they announced this? I wonder if I can use this as leverage as I definitely would have cancelled back in February when my contract was up but stuck around solely because I wanted access to Sunday Ticket. Had a known this was coming, I'd have cancelled.

Wonder if I can use this as leverage?

suzzer99
07-16-2014, 09:14 PM
It seems to have just leaked today. They aren't really promoting it much.

07-16-2014, 11:46 PM
Anyone know when they announced this? I wonder if I can use this as leverage as I definitely would have cancelled back in February when my contract was up but stuck around solely because I wanted access to Sunday Ticket. Had a known this was coming, I'd have cancelled.

Wonder if I can use this as leverage?

Doesn't matter. If Direct TV is available in your area then this is not an option for you.

lewdog
07-17-2014, 06:26 AM
Doesn't matter. If Direct TV is available in your area then this is not an option for you.

I guess I should learn to read.

Thanks.

Kansas City Kid
07-17-2014, 09:01 AM

Nope

ILChief
07-17-2014, 10:20 AM

Dumb

BigMeatballDave
07-17-2014, 10:30 AM
Nope

So, are you a whore for Directv or AT&T?

Strongside
07-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Why in the hell is the console version more expensive than the digital version? That makes no sense to me. Why didn't they just make a console/digital all-encompassing version and charge 239 for it while scrapping the 199 price. Dumb.

BigRedChief
07-17-2014, 10:32 AM
Doesn't matter. If Direct TV is available in your area then this is not an option for you.With all the thunderstorms I have to deal with, no way am I using satellite. Besides its much more fun to watch the game with 25-30 Chief fans.

Kansas City Kid
07-17-2014, 11:00 AM
So, are you a whore for Directv or AT&T?

Neither.

Look, I know you keep wanting Sunday Ticket on whatever crappy provider you have, but it isn't leaving Directv and that fact keeps smashing you in the nose with a fistful of dogshit.

jallmon
07-17-2014, 11:24 AM
Hmmm...that's a good point. I found this in the FAQ:

So it may not be an option if you're in a normal old house and could easily get DirecTV. I'll add that to the OP.

I tried. Not eligible because I can get Direct TV in Pittsburgh (and I don't live in an apartment that doesn't have it.)

It will come someday. In the meantime, I still have cable and Red Zone.

Swanman
07-17-2014, 11:25 AM
With all the thunderstorms I have to deal with, no way am I using satellite. Besides its much more fun to watch the game with 25-30 Chief fans.

In the past if you signed up for the streaming version, you just checked a box that said you couldn't get it for one reason or another.

My house has very large trees lining the southern view so I am sure they could come out and tromp all over my roof and find one spot where I can get a shitty unreliable signal but I am not going to do that. I think it wouldn't be economically feasible to make their techs go out to every single residence that says they can't get the service. Just take the money and go on the honor system.

BigMeatballDave
07-17-2014, 11:30 AM
Neither.

Look, I know you keep wanting Sunday Ticket on whatever crappy provider you have, but it isn't leaving Directv and that fact keeps smashing you in the nose with a fistful of dogshit.

Go fist your daddy.

I drive OTR. I have no provider. I don't give a shit who carries the Ticket.

Kansas City Kid
07-17-2014, 12:22 PM
Go fist your daddy.

I drive OTR. I have no provider. I don't give a shit who carries the Ticket.

Enjoy the beef jerky, prostitutes, and every other driver on the road hating you, redneck.

BigMeatballDave
07-17-2014, 01:04 PM
Enjoy the beef jerky, prostitutes, and every other driver on the road hating you, redneck.

Enjoy your 3some with your mother and sister.

Kansas City Kid
07-17-2014, 01:21 PM
https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607991941390731342&pid=15.1&P=0

BigMeatballDave
07-17-2014, 01:26 PM
https://sp2.yimg.com/ib/th?id=HN.607991941390731342&pid=15.1&P=0

This crash happened because your whore of a wife couldn't keep her lips off my cock.

I jumped out. That skank burnt to a crisp.

Kansas City Kid
07-17-2014, 01:29 PM
This crash happened because my boyfriend couldn't keep his lips off my cock.

Big Mike Sam fan, are ya?

SuperChief
07-17-2014, 01:33 PM

Might a VPN solve this problem? Could be worth a shot.

DaFace
07-17-2014, 01:34 PM

It wouldn't even take that. All they care about is a billing address. Find a friend in an apartment, and I bet it'd work.

R8RFAN
07-17-2014, 04:58 PM
Order that shit for ps3 and you will be sorry... Been there, done that , it was a miserable freezing experience

Al Bundy
07-17-2014, 05:05 PM
Order that shit for ps3 and you will be sorry... Been there, done that , it was a miserable freezing experience

I can't get it where I live because of the trees. I don't have a PS3, but I wonder if it would be worth it at all.

R8RFAN
07-17-2014, 05:14 PM
I can't get it where I live because of the trees. I don't have a PS3, but I wonder if it would be worth it at all.

I order the preseason package for the computer and it has worked wonderfully on the PC for me but the bandwidth it uses compared to a normal Sunday NFL day is probably minuscule in comparison...

I said earlier that I have had a 30mb up and 30mb down fiber connection for 4 years or so now and never had any connectivity issues for any streaming content over the internet, Used that same PS3 for Netflix and Amazon Prime Video without any issues...

NFLST on the PS3 would freeze for a minute at a time or longer, it was complete garbage in my mind.. Will it be more stable on the PC? I dunno but I had to go crawling back to DTV to get my football fix.

dallaschiefsfan
07-17-2014, 06:20 PM

Well...yeah. You VPN it...avoid Sunday ticket completely and order it from the NFL directly (game pass). You order it while you're in "The Netherlands" or wherever and bam...you have streaming of the NFL...whether you use your USA address and credit card or not. Unlike directv, the NFL doesn't care where your credit card bills go to...they just want your money and don't ask questions as long as your IP address says you live in a foreign land...

Jiu Jitsu Jon
07-18-2014, 11:18 AM
$200+ just to watch football games. What is this, Saudi Arabia?

kcfanXIII
07-18-2014, 01:55 PM

really? The only reason I am still debating it is I can watch every game at once at the bar, but I imagine I'll spend that much over the season on bar food and beer. Its really not THAT much.

Kansas City Kid
07-18-2014, 02:25 PM
Even at the full price it's like $1.29 a game......worth every penny.

ILChief
07-18-2014, 02:38 PM
It's not the 200-300 for ST that I have a problem with. It's the $90 per month directv bill that you have to have to get ST that sucks

Kansas City Kid
07-18-2014, 02:44 PM
I have been with DTV so long, referred people and moved several times to where my bill is nowhere even close to $90/month.

hometeam
07-18-2014, 03:10 PM
I have been with DTV so long, referred people and moved several times to where my bill is nowhere even close to $90/month.

what a badass

Kansas City Kid
07-18-2014, 03:22 PM
That jizz on the floor isn't going to mop itself. Get back to work, hometeam.