PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Alex Smith: I don't think anyone is going to be too hard headed

Carlota69
07-18-2014, 08:16 AM
Alex Smith says he hopes to remain with Chiefs
By RANDY COVITZ

John Sleezer/ The Kansas City Star
Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith has one year left on his contract, but wants to sign an extension with the team.
Chiefs quarterback Alex Smith still isn’t assured of what his future holds beyond the upcoming season.

But Smith, who has one year left on his contract, let it be known he wants to sign an extension and continue his career in Kansas City.

“I’d love to have it done,” Smith said in a phone interview on Thursday. “I love Kansas City, I love the coaching staff, the players … but when you’re talking about this many years and that type of deal, you want it done right. You want both sides happy, and you want it to be something that is going to last and you can play out. A lot of things go into it.

“With that, there’s still plenty of time. I still have a whole year left, and who knows what will happen?”

Smith said his representatives had discussions with Chiefs general manager John Dorsey until this month when the league goes dormant before camp, which starts for Chiefs quarterbacks and rookies Monday in St. Joseph.

“This time of year, the whole NFL is put on hold because this is the little time coaches and general managers have off, just like the rest of us,” said Smith, speaking from Lake Tahoe, Nev., where he is competing in the American Century Celebrity Golf Championship.

“We’ve continued talks, had open conversation, but no news to report.”

The Chiefs, with about $9.4 million of salary cap space available, are facing a dilemma with Smith, 30, and outside linebacker Justin Houston, 25, entering the final years of their contracts before they would become unrestricted free agents.

It’s possible they sign one of them to a long-term deal and use the franchise tag on the other next spring. This season, the franchise tender was $16.2 million for quarterbacks and $11.4 million for linebackers. Smith is due $7.5 million this year, while Houston, who would earn $1.4 million, did not report to the Chiefs’ voluntary off-season program or mandatory mini-camp.

The Chiefs cleared about $7.5 million in salary cap room that can be used to sign either Smith or Houston when they released cornerback Brandon Flowers last month, but Smith didn’t look at it that way.

“Someone told me that, and that’s not what I thought,” Smith said with a laugh. “I thought, ‘Oh man, we lost a good corner.’ I wasn’t thinking about it from a money perspective. Here’s a guy who has started virtually every game for us last year, so now we have to replace him.”

Smith, acquired from San Francisco in a March 2013 trade, was 11-4 as a starter for the Chiefs last season and the team to the playoffs a year after they went 2-14, tied for the worst record in the league.

He is 30-9-1 as a starter in the last three seasons, having led San Francisco to the NFC championship game in 2011 and helping the 49ers to the Super Bowl in 2012 before coming to Kansas City, where he established career bests with 308 completions, 508 attempts, 3,313 yards and 23 touchdowns with just seven interceptions.

Quarterbacks such as Tony Romo, Matthew Stafford and Jay Cutler, who are all in the $18 million-a-year range, don’t have near the track record as Smith.

“We’re getting pretty close to where I’m not thinking about any of that,” Smith said, “but certainly when you’re talking about comparables and what the marketplace is for a quarterback, certainly you’re looking at that, and I feel like my body of work of the last three, four years is right up there with a lot of those guys. No question, when you’re trying to put a value on something like that, you look at a lot of stuff.

“But real soon come Sunday, all that stuff is going to get turned off for me.”

Smith said it can be difficult to compartmentalize worrying about his contract and studying his playbook.

“When I talk to management, we talk about that, and that’s great, and then flush it, and we focus on football and doing what we have to do to help us win,” he said.

Smith said if a contract extension isn’t wrapped up by the start of the season, it doesn’t mean it can’t be done before next March.

“You’re talking about until next March when free agency would potentially start,” Smith said. “It’s a long time between now and then for something to get hashed out.

“Just knowing John (Dorsey) and (head coach) Andy (Reid) … they’re flexible and pragmatic guys,” Smith said. “I don’t think anyone is going to be too hard-headed, and we’re trying to get it done the best way we can"

Read more here: http://www.kansas.com/2014/07/17/3557629/alex-smith-says-he-hopes-to-remain.html#storylink=cpy

ptlyon
07-18-2014, 08:24 AM
So he has one year left on his contract Randy?

Do you even read your shit before you send it?

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-18-2014, 08:28 AM
TAG! You're it.

Bitch.

duncan_idaho
07-18-2014, 08:39 AM
LOL at the (lazy) assertion that Alex Smith has a better track record than Tony Romo.

Alex Smith has played on better teams the past 3 years. Tony Romo has been the better QB.

If you want to debate it with Cutler or Stafford, OK. You can make arguments either way. I've never been a big believer in Stafford, and Cutler can't stay healthy.

Prison Bitch
07-18-2014, 08:43 AM
LOL at the (lazy) assertion that Alex Smith has a better track record than Tony Romo.

Alex Smith has played on better teams the past 3 years. Tony Romo has been the better QB.

If you want to debate it with Cutler or Stafford, OK. You can make arguments either way. I've never been a big believer in Stafford, and Cutler can't stay healthy.

Just beat me to It. That was my exact take away too, lol at Covitz. By te way nice job reading the article to dig that out since most posters read one paragraph then opine Smith sucks or is good.

Halfcan
07-18-2014, 08:44 AM
“Someone told me that, and that’s not what I thought,” Smith said with a laugh. “I thought, ‘Oh man, we lost a good corner.’ I wasn’t thinking about it from a money perspective.

Yep sure Alex- nobody ever thinks about it for the money....well except the Chiefs.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-18-2014, 08:45 AM
Please don't pay this clown

duncan_idaho
07-18-2014, 08:47 AM
Just beat me to It. That was my exact take away too, lol at Covitz. By te way nice job reading the article to dig that out since most posters read one paragraph then opine Smith sucks or is good.

I also enjoyed the assertion Alex Smith "Led" the 49ers to the NFC Championship game. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure he did. In the same way that John Paxson led the Chicago Bulls to 2 NBA championships.

Ragged Robin
07-18-2014, 08:56 AM
I also enjoyed the assertion Alex Smith "Led" the 49ers to the NFC Championship game. Suuuuuuuuuuuuuure he did. In the same way that John Paxson led the Chicago Bulls to 2 NBA championships.

He had like six 4th quarter comebacks that year and is also the reason why they beat the Saints in the playoffs to get to the NFCC. Not quite the same as when Mark Sanchez "led" the Jets to the AFCC in back to back seasons.

Prison Bitch
07-18-2014, 08:59 AM

You are off to a good start this morning. A bit chippy too.

splatbass
07-18-2014, 09:02 AM

Tony Romo is great as long as the game isn't on the line. He is the biggest choke artist in the NFL, and has lost a lot of games for the Cowboys with stupid mistakes under pressure at key points in the game. I'd take Alex Smith over him any day of the week.

duncan_idaho
07-18-2014, 09:30 AM
You are off to a good start this morning. A bit chippy too.
Nothing like a good Alex Smith topic to bring out the snark.

Tony Romo is great as long as the game isn't on the line. He is the biggest choke artist in the NFL, and has lost a lot of games for the Cowboys with stupid mistakes under pressure at key points in the game. I'd take Alex Smith over him any day of the week.

This is common perception of Tony Romo, but it isn't factual. Romo has 11 4th quarter comebacks in the past three years and completes nearly 70 percent of his passes with a passer rating well over 100 in the 4th quarter.

O.city
07-18-2014, 09:45 AM
Romo has been on shit teams. He's carried them to what they've been.

He isn't nearly as bad as the rep he gets, but he does seem to have bonehead plays at opportune times more so than the next guy. I think it's more so because e presses because those around him suck but that's debatable.

In any matter, using team wins and losses to justify or knock QB play is pretty unfair (for lack of better word).

It's hard to say. I think Smith in Reid's system is or potentially could be as good as Romo, but romo in a Reid system would be pretty awesome.

In regards to Romo, is it fair to say he wouldn't have to have all those comeback wins if he played better earlier? Chicken and egg I guess.

O.city
07-18-2014, 09:47 AM
If Cutler stays healthy in that system with those weapons, he could be a top 5 passer this year.

duncan_idaho
07-18-2014, 10:06 AM

He isn't nearly as bad as the rep he gets, but he does seem to have bonehead plays at opportune times more so than the next guy. I think it's more so because e presses because those around him suck but that's debatable.

In any matter, using team wins and losses to justify or knock QB play is pretty unfair (for lack of better word).

It's hard to say. I think Smith in Reid's system is or potentially could be as good as Romo, but romo in a Reid system would be pretty awesome.

In regards to Romo, is it fair to say he wouldn't have to have all those comeback wins if he played better earlier? Chicken and egg I guess.

I'd say he wouldn't have as many comeback wins if he played better earlier, but it's also a team game. An unreliable defense and not great team around him (weak OL, weak running game) contribute to the need for all those comebacks, too.

I don't think Romo is a superstar by any means, and he definitely has flaws. But to suggest Alex Smith is on a level that Romo doesn't "come near" as Randy Covitz did is just incredibly lazy, misinformed and stupid.

O.city
07-18-2014, 10:10 AM
I'd say he wouldn't have as many comeback wins if he played better earlier, but it's also a team game. An unreliable defense and not great team around him (weak OL, weak running game) contribute to the need for all those comebacks, too.

I don't think Romo is a superstar by any means, and he definitely has flaws. But to suggest Alex Smith is on a level that Romo doesn't "come near" as Randy Covitz did is just incredibly lazy, misinformed and stupid.

Sure.

But that works both ways. When the team around you is good, you probably don't have to try and gunsling like Romo does.

Iirc, smith had 6 comeback wins in the his last year as 9ers starter, with a much better team around him.

So I don't think it's necessarily fair to use the team argument for 1 and not the other, in these types of discussions.

O.city
07-18-2014, 10:13 AM
But again, its what makes these discussions so tough.

A QB guru like Andy Reid apparently is, constantly pushes and wants Smith to be more aggressive, where Harbaugh was the opposite with his philosophy.

I think a good part o success depends on the player, but I think system and philosophy as well as the players match to that is becoming more and more important.

duncan_idaho
07-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Sure.

But that works both ways. When the team around you is good, you probably don't have to try and gunsling like Romo does.

Iirc, smith had 6 comeback wins in the his last year as 9ers starter, with a much better team around him.

So I don't think it's necessarily fair to use the team argument for 1 and not the other, in these types of discussions.

Yeah, I agree that you can apply some chicken and egg to any QB when it comes to 4th quarter stuff. And that Romo has helped dig some of the holes he had to dig out of.

Mr. Laz
07-18-2014, 10:39 AM
The only reason it's either/or is because the Chiefs are cheap

TEX
07-18-2014, 11:18 AM

This is common perception of Tony Romo, but it isn't factual. Romo has 11 4th quarter comebacks in the past three years and completes nearly 70 percent of his passes with a passer rating well over 100 in the 4th quarter.

Yep, you beat me to it. Deal is Romo's tendency to make a bone head play hides the facts.

Rasputin
07-18-2014, 11:35 AM
Hope he doesn't sign anything and Chiefs keep options open for next year. I know it's just wishful thinking but damn wish Chiefs would draft a damn quarterback in the first round.

Bugeater
07-18-2014, 11:39 AM
If no one was being hard-headed the deal would be done by now.

dls6501
07-18-2014, 11:54 AM
He had like six 4th quarter comebacks that year and is also the reason why they beat the Saints in the playoffs to get to the NFCC. Not quite the same as when Mark Sanchez "led" the Jets to the AFCC in back to back seasons.

The 4th quarter comeback stat looks nice on the surface.....but when you actually look at the games and see that Alex Smith was completely ineffective for much of the game and then made one or two nice throws late in the game, you wont put much stock in the "comebacks."

Example: Bengals game. Alex dinked and dunked his way to about 150 yards through 3+ quarters of football and led the Niners to a grand total of THREE points. Multiple 3 and outs, terrible 3rd down conversion rate, etc. Then the Bengals went ahead by a FG with 9 minutes left. Alex got the ball back and was helped by chunk rushing plays and a HUGE Vernon Davis play where Alex checked down to him and Davis broke for 20+ yards. Then Kendall Hunter runs the ball in for the go ahead touchdown.

And THAT is one of the "comebacks" Alex was credited for. See my point?

And yes, Alex had a good game against the Saints in the playoffs. But won it by himself? Laughable comment. No QB in the history of football can be credited for "winning a game by himself" when said QB's defense forced FIVE turnovers that game.

-King-
07-18-2014, 12:02 PM
If no one was being hard-headed the deal would be done by now.

Why? There's no rush to get a deal done from either side.
Posted via Mobile Device

ptlyon
07-18-2014, 12:22 PM
I'm rooting for Smith to get his money. He went to my high school along with Reggie Bush. I've been following them and rooting for them for awhile. They were both supposed to be at a charity event for my school (hosted by taco bell) but only Reggie showed up, really wanted to see Smith. Oh and coincedentally Alex Smith's dad used to be our high schools principal lol

Please don't bother posting again, thanks.

Marcellus
07-18-2014, 12:23 PM
Alex Smith didn't lead his teams anywhere yet Kapernick, Wilson, etc....have all lead their teams to their wins.

And now Romo is a great QB even though in the end he loses as many games as he wins usually by turning the ball over.

This place never fails to deliver.

'Hamas' Jenkins
07-18-2014, 12:29 PM
Lol thanks but no thanks. I'm a Smith fan, and this is a public forum. You can put me on the block list if my posts bother you that much. ROFL

Fucking kill yourself you cocksucker.

Mr. Laz
07-18-2014, 12:34 PM
Fucking kill yourself you cocksucker.
support the QB of the Chiefs and your enemy #1?

You're a complete fuckhead, just die already.

duncan_idaho
07-18-2014, 12:58 PM
Alex Smith didn't lead his teams anywhere yet Kapernick, Wilson, etc....have all lead their teams to their wins.

And now Romo is a great QB even though in the end he loses as many games as he wins usually by turning the ball over.

This place never fails to deliver.

Who brought Colin Kaerpernick or Russell Wilson into the equation? You.

While we're looking at Kaerpernick, though, look at the 49ers in the 2011 playoffs and the 2012 playoffs and tell me if you see a difference in the play of the QB and performance of the offense.

No one said Romo is great. Just that he is better than his rep - especially in clutch situations - and that Covitz's assertion that Smith was on a clear other level from him is patently ridiculous.

Marcellus
07-18-2014, 01:29 PM
Who brought Colin Kaerpernick or Russell Wilson into the equation? You.

While we're looking at Kaerpernick, though, look at the 49ers in the 2011 playoffs and the 2012 playoffs and tell me if you see a difference in the play of the QB and performance of the offense.

No one said Romo is great. Just that he is better than his rep - especially in clutch situations - and that Covitz's assertion that Smith was on a clear other level from him is patently ridiculous.

You understand the double standards. You do.

BTW Smith had the best single game QBR of any QB in the entire post season last year.

duncan_idaho
07-18-2014, 01:36 PM

BTW Smith had the best single game QBR of any QB in the entire post season last year.

Yup. He played very well and pleasantly surprised his doubters.

This suggestion of Covitz's that Tony Romo doesn't have "near the track record of Smith's" is still patently ridiculous and lazy.

Marcellus
07-18-2014, 01:41 PM
Yup. He played very well and pleasantly surprised his doubters.

This suggestion of Covitz's that Tony Romo doesn't have "near the track record of Smith's" is still patently ridiculous and lazy.

I think it was in reference to 30-9-1 the last 3 seasons.

Romo is a .500 QB largely because of timely turnovers and bad decisions.

Don't use the talent around him excuse either. He has played on some loaded teams and has the exact number of playoff wins Smith does.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-18-2014, 01:46 PM
Dear God, please don't extend him.

wazu
07-18-2014, 01:49 PM
Really think the Chiefs should let this season play out. If he kicks ass against this schedule, then I'm on board.

KCUnited
07-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Looking at that ESPN projected roster, if I'm Smith, I'd like to ink what's likely the last deal of my career before actually having to put the pads on and play behind that mess.

duncan_idaho
07-18-2014, 01:59 PM
I think it was in reference to 30-9-1 the last 3 seasons.

Romo is a .500 QB largely because of timely turnovers and bad decisions.

Don't use the talent around him excuse either. He has played on some loaded teams and has the exact number of playoff wins Smith does.

And using team record to judge a QB is stupid and lazy, no matter if it leaves a positive or negative impression.

This is from Bleacher Report, but the guy did the research on Romo's 4th quarter performance and I might as well let you read it from him:

LINK (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2133494-of-course-tony-romo-is-clutch)

Wildcat2005
07-18-2014, 02:06 PM
I really don't like the way people judge individuals on team records

You should look up Vince Young's winning %

Not defending Romo's mistakes, but would never say he played on teams that were "stacked" like the 49ers have been

For the most part he has carried that team on his back

ptlyon
07-18-2014, 02:09 PM
I really don't like the way people judge individuals on team records

You should look up Vince Young's winning %

Not defending Romo's mistakes, but would never say he played on teams that were "stacked" like the 49ers have been

For the most part he has carried that team on his back

WTFE, they got Dez Bryant

Wildcat2005
07-18-2014, 02:14 PM
WTFE, they got Dez Bryant

Pretty sure San Fran's defense and running game trumps Dez Bryant

From a roster perspective the Cowboys have been mediocre at best for a while now
Their defense was terrible last year and will probably be worse this year

ptlyon
07-18-2014, 02:17 PM
Sorry Wildcat, your humor meter must be broken

Pablo
07-18-2014, 02:19 PM
Looking at that ESPN projected roster, if I'm Smith, I'd like to ink what's likely the last deal of my career before actually having to put the pads on and play behind that mess.No doubt.

This line is shaping up to be a hot pile of garbage. At least he's got wheels, but I'd have to agree with you. Get your money before you take the beating.

WakkaWakka
07-18-2014, 03:27 PM
Per Twitter

“@PFCentral: The Chiefs offered around $17 mil a year which has been turned down by Smith's agents. They argue the 30-9-1 record should get them more”

ptlyon
07-18-2014, 03:32 PM
Per Twitter

“@PFCentral: The Chiefs offered around $17 mil a year which has been turned down by Smith's agents. They argue the 30-9-1 record should get them more”

:old:

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-18-2014, 03:43 PM

That worked out well.

Dear God, please don't extend him.

This. Be incredibly hard-headed.

duncan_idaho
07-18-2014, 03:48 PM
Per Twitter

Then he can kindly go f*** himself.

Tribal Warfare
07-18-2014, 03:57 PM
Per Twitter

Of course he isn't being self-centered and greedy

New World Order
07-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Did Smith's agent bring up his playoff record during negotiations?

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-18-2014, 04:00 PM
Goodbye, sir.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-18-2014, 04:01 PM
Hello, Marcus!

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-18-2014, 04:03 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>A source tells me negotiations continue between the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash">#Chiefs</a> and Alex Smith, but there are &quot;significant&quot; differences between the two sides.</p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/statuses/490254984861057024">July 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

duncan_idaho
07-18-2014, 04:03 PM
Of course he isn't being self-centered and greedy

He just wants a team to want him, right? As long as they make a long commitment to him, he'll sign a below market-value deal...

ShowtimeSBMVP
07-18-2014, 04:05 PM
Per Twitter

That site is wrong a lot. FWIW

Chiefs Pantalones
07-18-2014, 04:33 PM
Per Twitter

If my QB can't connect on a 20 yard fly pattern to an open Cyrus Gray going down the sideline to put the game out of reach then I'm not giving him 17 cents. That play and the playoff game was Smith's later part of his career in a nutshell. I'm not mad at him though, he is who he is. He's the ultimate game manager QB. He took that game manager roll and perfected it. He can't carry a team. The team is only going as far the team takes them, he's just along for the ride and his job is to not screw it up. He won't win games for us against top competition, we just have to hope the WHOLE team brings it more often than not.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-18-2014, 04:36 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>A source tells me negotiations continue between the <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Chiefs?src=hash">#Chiefs</a> and Alex Smith, but there are &quot;significant&quot; differences between the two sides.</p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/statuses/490254984861057024">July 18, 2014</a></blockquote>

That's because Dorsey has seen a great QB; drafted one. He's not paying a QB of Smith's caliber that much. He's like 30. He's not improving much.

JakeLV
07-18-2014, 04:37 PM
I won't be satisfied we draft a 1st RD QB, regardless of the success we have leading up to it

/CP

Fish
07-18-2014, 04:38 PM
Per Twitter

Then let him go try and find that....

Discuss Thrower
07-18-2014, 04:39 PM
I won't be satisfied we draft a 1st RD QB, regardless of the success we have leading up to it

/CP

Notice what QBs not named Brees or Wilson have won superbowls lately?

Bugeater
07-18-2014, 04:41 PM
Per Twitter

“@PFCentral: The Chiefs offered around $17 mil a year which has been turned down by Smith's agents. They argue the 30-9-1 record should get them more”But nobody is going to be hard-headed....

BigMeatballDave
07-18-2014, 04:57 PM
The flow is heavy in here.

-King-
07-18-2014, 04:57 PM
If my QB can't connect on a 20 yard fly pattern to an open Cyrus Gray going down the sideline to put the game out of reach then I'm not giving him 17 cents. That play and the playoff game was Smith's later part of his career in a nutshell. I'm not mad at him though, he is who he is. He's the ultimate game manager QB. He took that game manager roll and perfected it. He can't carry a team. The team is only going as far the team takes them, he's just along for the ride and his job is to not screw it up. He won't win games for us against top competition, we just have to hope the WHOLE team brings it more often than not.

Uh, that play was Cyrus Grays fault. He even admitted to slowing down.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-18-2014, 05:00 PM

Oh he did? That's news to me. Bastard Gray.

BigMeatballDave
07-18-2014, 05:01 PM

People tend to only hear what they want to hear.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-18-2014, 05:09 PM
People tend to only hear what they want to hear.

I'm not Smith's biggest fan but he did play great against a swiss cheese defense. It's not his fault we played the Colts. I just don't think it's smart to extend a guy we could get for free. It's like being in purgatory. Although I'm sure no matter what at some point if we did extend him Dorsey/Reid will draft a legitimate replacement, not a piss in the wind pray he develops mid-round guy. Although we are due to hit a homerun at some point in the QB department you'd think lol.

Deberg_1990
07-18-2014, 05:12 PM

Heres the thing. Romo is very talented, but he gives games away just as much as he carries them to wins. Hes a frustrating talent.

Alex Smith isnt as talented a passer, but he plays within the system and does not turn the ball over. Thats why hes been more successful of late rather than Romo.

Romo is basically a Jeff George. His box scores look good, but he takes too many risky throws and makes alot of mental mistakes.

Alot of Romos problems though are the Cowboys suck as an organization and dont develop talent very well. Not that I care....

Oh yea, Alex Smith beat Romo last year. : )

OldSchool
07-18-2014, 05:24 PM

Romo has bad players around him? He has one of the League's best OLs now, a true star WR in Dez Bryant and has always had above average talent at every skill position to help him out on offense. He's a step above Stafford and Cutler but he makes the same team killing mistakes that they are prone to make. It's the reason why the Cowboys failed miserably with him even when they were actually one of the best teams in the league with Ware in his prime.

Red Dawg
07-18-2014, 05:29 PM
Smith will not get 17 mil per year from any team. He will sign with us for like 14 mill per year and that's fair.

duncan_idaho
07-18-2014, 06:36 PM
Heres the thing. Romo is very talented, but he gives games away just as much as he carries them to wins. Hes a frustrating talent.

Alex Smith isnt as talented a passer, but he plays within the system and does not turn the ball over. Thats why hes been more successful of late rather than Romo.

Romo is basically a Jeff George. His box scores look good, but he takes too many risky throws and makes alot of mental mistakes.

Alot of Romos problems though are the Cowboys suck as an organization and dont develop talent very well. Not that I care....

Oh yea, Alex Smith beat Romo last year. : )

Alex Smith has been more successful of late because he was paired with an elite defense in San Francisco and and a defense that played at an elite level for 2/3 of the season in KC.

Meanwhile, only two teams have given up 30+ points more often than the Cowboys the past three season.

This is exactly what I was talking about regarding the perception of Romo, though... the perception is that he blows it more often than he succeeds in close situations, but the numbers just don't back that up.

Romo has a higher efficiency rating and FEWER INTs in close games/4th quarter over the past 3 years than a long list of QBs who are viewed as clutch - or at least not as choke artists.

Kaepernick
07-18-2014, 06:39 PM

I thought Peyton was the biggest choke artist in the NFL. Now I'm so confused. :p

In all seriousness, Romo is flat inconsistent. I wouldn't want a QB like him that could kill me at any time and likely the worst time. I would actually take Alex over Romo, and it is not like I think Alex is a top QB. Yes, he is just a journeyman, a game manager, but he is consistent and he is not likely to throw the game away.

I would take Alex over Romo or Cutler. I'm not so sure about Stafford. I think the jury is out on him yet.

Saccopoo
07-18-2014, 06:43 PM
Please don't pay this clown

Yeah...that would be a great idea.

I hope we just let Smith walk after next year and go with Daniel, Bray and Murray.

I fucking hate golf.

Kaepernick
07-18-2014, 06:45 PM
Notice what QBs not named Brees or Wilson have won superbowls lately?

Yes. QBs with top rated Defenses.

Saccopoo
07-18-2014, 06:51 PM
Smith will not get 17 mil per year from any team. He will sign with us for like 14 mill per year and that's fair.

Cutler, Stafford and Romo.

You are fucking high or retarded to think that there isn't a team out there that won't offer Smith the exact same money or more.

He's a much better quarterback than those piles of squirrel shit.

Tribal Warfare
07-18-2014, 07:08 PM

You are fucking high or retarded to think that there isn't a team out there that won't offer Smith the exact same money or more.

He's a much better quarterback than those piles of squirrel shit.

If KC thought the same way he'd be signed now.

Saccopoo
07-18-2014, 07:12 PM
If KC thought the same way he'd be signed now.

Kansas City is going to be fucked if they don't.

Deberg_1990
07-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Alex Smith has been more successful of late because he was paired with an elite defense in San Francisco and and a defense that played at an elite level for 2/3 of the season in KC.

Meanwhile, only two teams have given up 30+ points more often than the Cowboys the past three season.

This is exactly what I was talking about regarding the perception of Romo, though... the perception is that he blows it more often than he succeeds in close situations, but the numbers just don't back that up.

Romo has a higher efficiency rating and FEWER INTs in close games/4th quarter over the past 3 years than a long list of QBs who are viewed as clutch - or at least not as choke artists.

Some of this is true sure. Romo is the best thing about a mediocre organization.

The cowboys have failed Romo ultimately. Jerry jones is a shit GM and Garrett is a shit HC.

Tribal Warfare
07-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Kansas City is going to be fucked if they don't.

Again, they seemingly don't believe that with the price he's asking for.

SAUTO
07-18-2014, 07:18 PM
I thought Peyton was the biggest choke artist in the NFL. Now I'm so confused. :p

In all seriousness, Romo is flat inconsistent. I wouldn't want a QB like him that could kill me at any time and likely the worst time. I would actually take Alex over Romo, and it is not like I think Alex is a top QB. Yes, he is just a journeyman, a game manager, but he is consistent and he is not likely to throw the game away.

I would take Alex over Romo or Cutler. I'm not so sure about Stafford. I think the jury is out on him yet.

All this from kaepernick
Posted via Mobile Device

Baby Lee
07-18-2014, 07:23 PM
That play and the playoff game was Smith's later part of his career in a nutshell.

So in summation, Smith's career in a nutshell, if one single play can be a nutshell [UrumphROMO!!], is a bunch of drive-by fans who misread a single play and demonize his entire past, present and future over said misreading.

Sounds about right.

duncan_idaho
07-18-2014, 07:28 PM

You are ****ing high or retarded to think that there isn't a team out there that won't offer Smith the exact same money or more.

He and those piles of squirrel shit are in the same tier of NFL QBs.

FYP

Mav
07-18-2014, 08:02 PM
All this from kaepernick
Posted via Mobile Device
Except the journeyman party.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-18-2014, 09:04 PM
"Any time you get an opportunity like that, you expect to hit it," Smith told reporters after the playoff defeat, per The Kansas City Star. "The tough part is all week we so many reps, (and) obviously with Jamaal (Charles) getting all of those, it's just something we have never repped with Cyrus."

Gray acknowledged that he momentarily slowed his stride on the route, but Smith told the room: "You've still got to hit it."

Chiefs Pantalones
07-18-2014, 09:20 PM
So in summation, Smith's career in a nutshell, if one single play can be a nutshell [UrumphROMO!!], is a bunch of drive-by fans who misread a single play and demonize his entire past, present and future over said misreading.

Sounds about right.

That's retarded. Alex Smith is who he is. He's not a great QB no matter how you slice it, or how you feel about his past, present or future. I really don't get why some are arguing in favor of extending him. He's not this franchise's answer for long term success. Fans are just so used to shitty QB play that Captain Game Manager comes in and some fans think he's TEH BESTEST EVA.

I want him to succeed but again, he is who he is. Hopefully, if we do extend him, Reid can keep on making chicken salad out of game managing chicken shit and we keep improving the talent around him. He's gonna earn anything he gets if he survives the year with this OL if they play the way a lot are expecting them to play.

Saccopoo
07-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Again, they seemingly don't believe that with the price he's asking for.

They drafted Murray with his older identical twin on the roster, so what the fuck do they know anyway?

duncan_idaho
07-18-2014, 09:35 PM
That's retarded. Alex Smith is who he is. He's not a great QB no matter how you slice it, or how you feel about his past, present or future. I really don't get why some are arguing in favor of extending him. He's not this franchise's answer for long term success. Fans are just so used to shitty QB play that Captain Game Manager comes in and some fans think he's TEH BESTEST EVA.

I want him to succeed but again, he is who he is. Hopefully, if we do extend him, Reid can keep on making chicken salad out of game managing chicken shit and we keep improving the talent around him. He's gonna earn anything he gets if he survives the year with this OL if they play the way a lot are expecting them to play.

That's going to be extremely difficult to do if they're paying Alex Smith more than $17 million a season. Hell, it's going to be difficult to do if they're paying him more than $12 million a season.

Going to need to get much, much better instant results from the draft than what the Chiefs have gotten so far.

Saccopoo
07-18-2014, 09:45 PM
That's going to be extremely difficult to do if they're paying Alex Smith more than $17 million a season. Hell, it's going to be difficult to do if they're paying him more than $12 million a season.

Going to need to get much, much better instant results from the draft than what the Chiefs have gotten so far.

http://gifsec.com/wp-content/uploads/GIF/2014/04/Putin-Laughing-gif.gif

Tribal Warfare
07-18-2014, 10:06 PM
They drafted Murray with his older identical twin on the roster, so what the fuck do they know anyway?

That Alex isn't the answer

BigMeatballDave
07-19-2014, 04:12 AM
I like Alex, but he should have taken what the Chiefs offered. There weren't any takers when he was available when he got his current contract. I don't think anyone is giving him more than 17.

Bufkin
07-19-2014, 05:36 AM
The only thing making me feel "hard headed" around here is Aaron Murray's deep ball.
http://31.media.tumblr.com/2c988d20ef58cf9aada2f9c798aba5c0/tumblr_mthsf12rfE1rvn2ylo1_400.gif

07-19-2014, 06:38 AM
I like Alex, but he should have taken what the Chiefs offered. There weren't any takers when he was available when he got his current contract. I don't think anyone is giving him more than 17.

I'll bet this is more about his agent than it is about him. He is just saying what he has to say.

loochy
07-19-2014, 06:46 AM
Some of this is true sure. Romo is the best thing about a mediocre organization.

The cowboys have failed Romo ultimately. Jerry jones is a shit GM and Garrett is a shit HC.

This. Romo is the least of the problems on a team rife with them.

gonefishin53
07-19-2014, 07:26 AM

Reading the comments from Smith and his wife regarding a contract extension makes me think the significant difference is more about commitment than annual salary. Smiths want a five year commitment and Chiefs are offering three. JMO.

Red Dawg
07-19-2014, 07:41 AM
If Dorsey is balking at a 5 year deal then Andy must really like Bray or Murray in the near future. I am sure Brays arm cannon has him sporting wood ever time he sees it.

R8RFAN
07-19-2014, 08:05 AM
Smiff deserves a HUGE multi year contract

stonedstooge
07-19-2014, 08:07 AM
Smiff deserves a HUGE multi year contract

Raiders will give it to him next year. ENJOY!

Bufkin
07-19-2014, 08:08 AM
The most expensive backup ever to future world beater Derek Carr.

Red Dawg
07-19-2014, 08:28 AM
Here is what sucks. Manning is on his last year. Rivers is soon to be too old and the Faid have no QB worth two shits yet. We would own this div next season and possibly for the next 5 years but only with a stable QB situation. Smith is not ever going to be the guy that carrys a team with his arm but keep a tough defense around him and we would contend. He certainly is worth keeping with the division in the state its in.

R8RFAN
07-19-2014, 08:46 AM
Here is what sucks. Manning is on his last year. Rivers is soon to be too old and the Faid have no QB worth two shits yet. We would own this div next season and possibly for the next 5 years but only with a stable QB situation. Smith is not ever going to be the guy that carrys a team with his arm but keep a tough defense around him and we would contend. He certainly is worth keeping with the division in the state its in.

ROFL

R8RFAN
07-19-2014, 09:08 AM

If he works out like the last QB we got from you I will take him ..

Marcellus
07-19-2014, 09:21 AM
I'm not Smith's biggest fan but he did play great against a swiss cheese defense. It's not his fault we played the Colts. I just don't think it's smart to extend a guy we could get for free. It's like being in purgatory. Although I'm sure no matter what at some point if we did extend him Dorsey/Reid will draft a legitimate replacement, not a piss in the wind pray he develops mid-round guy. Although we are due to hit a homerun at some point in the QB department you'd think lol.

What?

Chiefs Pantalones
07-19-2014, 09:39 AM
What?

Look at Smith's stats. You don't think we can replicate them with a QB via draft? Surely a QB that our scouts and coaches felt comfortable drafting could put up Alex Smith type of numbers, they aren't mind blowing, and it doesn't cost you $17 million and the draft pick is young could get better. Alex Smith isn't turning into Tom Brady (not many are that good I'm just saying drafting a guy is like having a surprise gift under the tree, you don't know what's gonna happen and that's a good thing) or improving that much more. He is what he is.

mcaj22
07-19-2014, 09:42 AM

Rivers is 32
Smith is 30

you are talking about, at best, a two year window between Rivers getting "too old" and Smith having a chance. The difference next year (the year you think we would own the division) is of Rivers being 33 and Smith being 31. That's not exactly a HUGE difference lol.

Mav
07-19-2014, 09:48 AM
Here is what I don't understand. The colts added another weapon for luck, the Broncos keep adding for Peyton, and the 49 ers keep adding for Kaepernick. The chiefs add a cfl player and a tweener and chiefs fans bang on alex Smith. If any of the alex haters were realistic, what else besides jamal Charles does this offense have that an elite qb would die to have?

BigMeatballDave
07-19-2014, 09:50 AM
Look at Smith's stats. You don't think we can replicate them with a QB via draft? Surely a QB that our scouts and coaches felt comfortable drafting could put up Alex Smith type of numbers, they aren't mind blowing, and it doesn't cost you $17 million and the draft pick is young could get better. Alex Smith isn't turning into Tom Brady (not many are that good I'm just saying drafting a guy is like having a surprise gift under the tree, you don't know what's gonna happen and that's a good thing) or improving that much more. He is what he is.
Romo puts up big numbers and hasn't won shit.

Discuss Thrower
07-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Here is what I don't understand. The colts added another weapon for luck, the Broncos keep adding for Peyton, and the 49 ers keep adding for Kaepernick. The chiefs add a cfl player and a tweener and chiefs fans bang on alex Smith. If any of the alex haters were realistic, what else besides jamal Charles does this offense have that an elite qb would die to have?

Outside of Jeremy Maclin and TO Reid never seemed to value WRs.

New World Order
07-19-2014, 09:53 AM

Jamaal Charles. He's the most dangerous offensive weapon in the NFL.

Bowe is capable and Donnie Avery is a solid number 2.

He has plenty of weapons to work with.

Mav
07-19-2014, 09:54 AM

There you go.
Yet, people mock alex Smith as a check down king for getting the ball to him.

New World Order
07-19-2014, 09:55 AM

Edited my post, but I don't have a problem with it if it results in a positive play.

And De'anthony Thomas will be a nice addition as well.

Discuss Thrower
07-19-2014, 09:56 AM

Well.. That's because he is a check down artist.

But that's also why Reid loves him so much..

Chiefs Pantalones
07-19-2014, 09:56 AM
Romo puts up big numbers and hasn't won shit.

Alex Smith is Romo minus the turnovers, arm talent. If I had to choose one or the other I'd pick Romo just on boom (sadly there's been bust obviously) but I think with good coaching he could get rid of that ole mind numbing INTs at horrible times thing. The Cowboys are approaching Raider level organization destruction though with Jerry's insane ass.

Marcellus
07-19-2014, 09:57 AM

Ok I now get the root of your issues. We didn't draft him.

Your assertion we can just draft a guy and plug him in is insanely simplistic. There are around 96 QB's (approx) on active rosters right now. I can't think of a guy besides Luck who has been drafted recently, or a back up QB anywhere, that you "know" would just put those numbers up.

He isn't Brady or Brees and I damn sure would love to have that type guy, but those type QBs are very rare.

Mav
07-19-2014, 09:57 AM
The chiefs don't have a tight end that is nfl starting caliber, they have a number two receiver in Bowe and a suspect oline that was suspect before Albert and Schwartz left. But alex Smith it's holding the offense back!

Mav
07-19-2014, 10:00 AM
Well.. That's because he is a check down artist.

But that's also why Reid loves him so much..
He has had one, ONE DEEP THREAT IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER. vernon davis. He has never had a calvin, dez, aj green. Ever. That's always why he has been a check down king. Although, he never had a problem finding vernon, any where on the field.

New World Order
07-19-2014, 10:04 AM
The chiefs don't have a tight end that is nfl starting caliber, they have a number two receiver in Bowe and a suspect oline that was suspect before Albert and Schwartz left. But alex Smith it's holding the offense back!

The o-line might get Alex Smith killed, but he certainly isn't lacking any weapons at RB or WR.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-19-2014, 10:06 AM
Ok I now get the root of your issues. We didn't draft him.

Your assertion we can just draft a guy and plug him in is insanely simplistic. There are around 96 QB's (approx) on active rosters right now. I can't think of a guy besides Luck who has been drafted recently, or a back up QB anywhere, that you "know" would just put those numbers up.

He isn't Brady or Brees and I damn sure would love to have that type guy, but those type QBs are very rare.

Because we've tried drafting one and developing him before and it didn't work (sarcasm) lol. The neglecting of the QB position is one of the many reasons why our Chiefs haven't been consistently competitive. I know that's not the only way to address the position but the other ways haven't worked. I hope this hand-me-down QB does though. He seems like a great guy and we deserve it.

Mav
07-19-2014, 10:07 AM
The o-line might get Alex Smith killed, but he certainly isn't lacking any weapons at RB or WR.
Well not at rb. But you are kidding yourself at receiver.

Ragged Robin
07-19-2014, 10:09 AM
And yes, Alex had a good game against the Saints in the playoffs. But won it by himself? Laughable comment. No QB in the history of football can be credited for "winning a game by himself" when said QB's defense forced FIVE turnovers that game.

They also gave up the lead via 2 TDs within the FINAL FOUR MINUTES of the game, only to have Alex Smith drive down the field for a TD to answer BOTH times. First time that has ever happened in a playoff game.

New World Order
07-19-2014, 10:09 AM
Well not at rb. But you are kidding yourself at receiver.

They're fine at WR. Anyways why would it matter? It's not like he throws to them.

Marcellus
07-19-2014, 10:14 AM
Because we've tried drafting one and developing him before and it didn't work (sarcasm) lol. The neglecting of the QB position is one of the many reasons why our Chiefs haven't been consistently competitive. I know that's not the only way to address the position but the other ways haven't worked. I hope this hand-me-down QB does though. He seems like a great guy and we deserve it.

I'm not averse to drafting QBs I am averse to drafting them just to do it.

Past failures have nothing to do with current options.

tk13
07-19-2014, 11:03 AM

He did a lot more than manage the game in the 2nd half of the season though. That's why this contract fight is an issue in the first place.

His last 7 games, including the playoffs, he averaged over 250 yds/game passing with 18 TD/3 INT.

His agent can legitimately sit down at the table and say his client played like a 4000 yds passing/500 yds rushing/40 TD/7 INT QB the second half of the season once he got Reid's offense down. And then topped it off with a franchise QB performance in the playoffs. I don't expect him to put up numbers quite like that, and I don't think Dorsey does either at this point... but it's easy to see why his agent could sit down and say look at what Jay Cutler got, why doesn't Alex Smith deserve that too?

Discuss Thrower
07-19-2014, 11:09 AM
He did a lot more than manage the game in the 2nd half of the season though. That's why this contract fight is an issue in the first place.

His last 7 games, including the playoffs, he averaged over 250 yds/game passing with 18 TD/3 INT.

His agent can legitimately sit down at the table and say his client played like a 4000 yds passing/500 yds rushing/40 TD/7 INT QB the second half of the season once he got Reid's offense down. And then topped it off with a franchise QB performance in the playoffs. I don't expect him to put up numbers quite like that, and I don't think Dorsey does either at this point... but it's easy to see why his agent could sit down and say look at what Jay Cutler got, why doesn't Alex Smith deserve that too?

While that's a good ratio, the yardage avg is very JAGish.

tk13
07-19-2014, 11:14 AM
While that's a good ratio, the yardage avg is very JAGish.

It's certainly not Manning or Brees numbers, but 250 yds/game is still a 4000 yard passer. Even in today's NFL that's still a top 10-12 QB.

Russell Wilson has had two very successful years and he averages about 200 yds/game passing.

Baby Lee
07-19-2014, 11:19 AM
They're fine at WR. Anyways why would it matter? It's not like he throws to them.

ROFL ROFL

"What does it matter how good our WRs are? Our QB doesn't throw to our shitty shitty WRs who drop whatever well-placed passes he throws their way?"

Nice little racket you got there.

Mav
07-19-2014, 11:54 AM

You have a point. Of course, when you have your number one drop a 3rd and 5 slant for a first that would of ended the game, then couldn't get his toe in bounds on a 4th down that the team had to have, because he got muscled to the boundary by a midget corner, I wouldn't throw to them either.

By the way. Donny Avery, average, Junior Hemmingway doesn't know where to line up, Aj Jenkins meh.

Broncos.

Demariyus Thomas
Julius Thomas,
Emmanuel Sanders,
Wes Welker

Colts, Ty Hilton,
Reggie Wayne,
Hakeem Nicks,
Coby Fleener,
Dwayne Allen

49ers
boldin,
Crabtree,
Stevie Johnson,
Brandon Lloyd,
Vernon Davis.

See the difference?

mcaj22
07-19-2014, 12:02 PM
You have a point. Of course, when you have your number one drop a 3rd and 5 slant for a first that would of ended the game, then couldn't get his toe in bounds on a 4th down that the team had to have, because he got muscled to the boundary by a midget corner, I wouldn't throw to them either.

By the way. Donny Avery, average, Junior Hemmingway doesn't know where to line up, Aj Jenkins meh.

Broncos.

Demariyus Thomas
Julius Thomas,
Emmanuel Sanders,
Wes Welker

Colts, Ty Hilton,
Reggie Wayne,
Hakeem Nicks,
Coby Fleener,
Dwayne Allen

49ers
boldin,
Crabtree,
Stevie Johnson,
Brandon Lloyd,
Vernon Davis.

See the difference?

Colts actually even used a 3rd round pick on a WR too, Donte Moncrief.

Something a lot of people wish the Chiefs did at WR, draft one.

Red Dawg
07-19-2014, 12:05 PM
With what Smith had to work with at WR and TE his season was amazing. We had SD beat and the defense choked. We had a playoff victory in our grasp and the defense choked. We were way up on Denver and the defense choked. None of that is Smiths fault. He deserves to get paid but we will be hard pressed to build the team he needs giving up.18 mil a year to him. He can't carry a teM on his arm alone. No one can but three in the NFL.

Mav
07-19-2014, 12:06 PM
Colts actually even used a 3rd round pick on a WR too, Donte Moncrief.

Something a lot of people wish the Chiefs did at WR, draft one.
Touche!

Mav
07-19-2014, 12:09 PM
With what Smith had to work with at WR and TE his season was amazing. We had SD beat and the defense choked. We had a playoff victory in our grasp and the defense choked. We were way up on Denver and the defense choked. None of that is Smiths fault. He deserves to get paid but we will be hard pressed to build the team he needs giving up.18 mil a year to him. He can't carry a teM on his arm alone. No one can but three in the NFL.

And they cant either.

Remember the struggles tom Brady had last year to begin the year?

Peyton Manning has never had to carry a team. he has been surrounded by RIDICULOUS HALL OF FAME TALENT.

Drew Brees, COULDNT. he lost his coach, and their defense went to shit, and despite him throwing for 5 k, they went 7-9.

No qb can succeed without weapons.

period.

Alex is a check down king blah blah blah.

they didn't even start improving the weapons in San Francisco UNTIL AFTER HE LEFT.

they did nothing for the chiefs this year to upgrade.

a JAG from the CFL, and D'anthony Thomas, who I like, but really, its a lateral move with DMC.

I fully expected them to upgrade the offense in the offseason.

it got worse.

if Charles gets hurt, this could be an epically bad offense.

splatbass
07-19-2014, 12:36 PM

Some of you are more in love with the idea of drafting a 1st round QB then with having a good QB. If Alex Smith won us a SB you would still bitch and say we should have drafted a first round QB. You care more about where the QB was drafted then how well he plays. That is really sad.

New World Order
07-19-2014, 12:42 PM

Broncos.

Demariyus Thomas
Julius Thomas,
Emmanuel Sanders,
Wes Welker

Colts, Ty Hilton,
Reggie Wayne,
Hakeem Nicks,
Coby Fleener,
Dwayne Allen

49ers
boldin,
Crabtree,
Stevie Johnson,
Brandon Lloyd,
Vernon Davis.

See the difference?

Do we really need to go over the comparison of Kaepernick/Smith passing statistics to Crabtree?

Do we?

Because we can.

Smith doesn't make use of his WR. A RB that can catch is a much better investment.

The Chiefs have Charles and De'anthony Thomas. 2 backs that can catch and run out of the backfield.

Mav
07-19-2014, 12:57 PM
Do we really need to go over the comparison of Kaepernick/Smith passing statistics to Crabtree?

Do we?

Because we can.

Smith doesn't make use of his WR. A RB that can catch is a much better investment.

The Chiefs have Charles and De'anthony Thomas. 2 backs that can catch and run out of the backfield.
Hence why when we were heading up to the draft, I wanted eric ebron. This offense needs a play making tight end.

New World Order
07-19-2014, 01:03 PM
Hence why when we were heading up to the draft, I wanted eric ebron. This offense needs a play making tight end.

I agree, but he has enough to make this a successful offense.

It's up to him.

Mav
07-19-2014, 01:05 PM
I agree, but he has enough to make this a successful offense.

It's up to him.
Fair enough.

bigjosh
07-19-2014, 01:07 PM

Mav, I haven't been keeping up. Did you ditch the browns when they drafted Johnny beer pong ?

Mav
07-19-2014, 01:10 PM
Mav, I haven't been keeping up. Did you ditch the browns when they drafted Johnny beer pong ?
Lol. I'm no happy. I'm kinda like a by stander watching the train wreck coming with a sadistic grin. I'm pretty sure I'm a chiefs fan only. Was waiting for alex to sign his deal so I can get my Jersey. Bought pre season tickets to the packers chiefs game.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-19-2014, 02:19 PM
Some of you are more in love with the idea of drafting a 1st round QB then with having a good QB. If Alex Smith won us a SB you would still bitch and say we should have drafted a first round QB. You care more about where the QB was drafted then how well he plays. That is really sad.

Yeah because Chiefs fans care how we win lol. Like we can be picky.

I don't give a **** if our QB is Nancy Grace as long as we are World Champs once again. And I speak for every Chiefs fan. All I'm saying is TRY and draft a QB high. Who knows...it just might work out. Because the other way hasn't and that's nobody's fault but the people making the decisions because there's more than one way to eat a Reese's. ;)

Chiefs Pantalones
07-19-2014, 02:31 PM
Where are some people getting the whole "we should draft a QB just to draft one" shit? That's insane. I haven't read one post on here, granted I haven't browsed much lately, where someone has said draft a QB just to draft one. That's retarded. BTW it's not like where we've drafted in recent and past years there have been no QB options available, there have been. We've missed on guys but so has every other team that doesn't have a great QB. There aren't many. I just don't get why identifying a QB (the most important position mind you) and drafting him high if available is a bad thing? Sure it's a risk but why the hell not? We've tried every other way to find one.

Deberg_1990
07-19-2014, 02:35 PM

This. The irony of this debate is that A Smith was a #1 overall draft pick.

The Chiefs really haven't been in a position to pick a great first round QB much over the past 25 years. The only truly great one we passed on was A Rodgers. I guess Flacco too, but opinions vary greatly on him. Stafford and Matt Ryan were off the board when we picked.

I don't care who our QB is or how he was aquired as long as he wins games.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-19-2014, 02:40 PM
This. The irony of this debate is that A Smith was a #1 overall draft pick.

The Chiefs really haven't been in a position to pick a great first round QB much over the past 25 years. The only truly great one we passed on was A Rodgers. I guess Flacco too, but opinions vary greatly on him.

I don't care who our QB is or how he was aquired as long as he wins games.

Alex Smith was already proven a disappointment by his #1 draft pick status before. He lost his job the year before. Harbaugh knew he needed to make that move because he knew what they had in Smith wasn't enough to get over the hump. It's not like we traded two 2nd round picks for a great, young, up and coming QB.

Deberg_1990
07-19-2014, 02:43 PM
Alex Smith was already proven a disappointment by his #1 draft pick status before. He lost his job the year before. Harbaugh knew he needed to make that move because he knew what they had in Smith wasn't enough to get over the hump. It's not like we traded two 2nd round picks for a great, young, up and coming QB.

His career started off slow sure. But right now Smith is a good, solid QB. Just accept it and move on. It's not worth bitching about but a lot of you guys are obsessed about it.

Just enjoy the fact that your team is winning again.

Easy 6
07-19-2014, 03:00 PM
He has had one, ONE DEEP THREAT IN HIS ENTIRE CAREER. vernon davis. He has never had a calvin, dez, aj green. Ever. That's always why he has been a check down king. Although, he never had a problem finding vernon, any where on the field.

They also gave up the lead via 2 TDs within the FINAL FOUR MINUTES of the game, only to have Alex Smith drive down the field for a TD to answer BOTH times. First time that has ever happened in a playoff game.

A trifecta of sanity.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-19-2014, 03:07 PM
His career started off slow sure. But right now Smith is a good, solid QB. Just accept it and move on. It's not worth bitching about but a lot of you guys are obsessed about it.

Just enjoy the fact that your team is winning again.

He's a solid QB for sure. But not good enough to win a Super Bowl with, but in all fairness there's only a handful of teams that can say otherwise. Also, it's not his fault our OL is about to be a trap door and the WR position was once again ignored. I'm also concerned about our secondary. I do trust Dorsey/Reid though and their plan for the long haul with our team and hope I'm wrong about Smith. :toast:

I hope we don't but I think we're gonna take a step back this year.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-19-2014, 03:16 PM

I bet Dorsey is saying something like, "I could get Matt Flynn or even myself to come in here and do the damage Smith did against the crappy defenses we faced." lol.

I hope Smith does get protected this year because I'd like to see how he does against the elite defenses he will be facing. It's not really fair. This OL on paper PUKE.

Ragged Robin
07-19-2014, 03:20 PM

Avery wouldn't be a starter on any other team.

BlackHelicopters
07-19-2014, 03:25 PM
How old is Erin Andrews?

Red Dawg
07-19-2014, 03:27 PM
He's a solid QB for sure. But not good enough to win a Super Bowl with, but in all fairness there's only a handful of teams that can say otherwise. Also, it's not his fault our OL is about to be a trap door and the WR position was once again ignored. I'm also concerned about our secondary. I do trust Dorsey/Reid though and their plan for the long haul with our team and hope I'm wrong about Smith. :toast:

I hope we don't but I think we're gonna take a step back this year.

I think he can win the bowl. If Flacco and Wilson can then so can Smith but just like them he needs a defense that can keep the score in check.

A few years ago SF fumbled on ST and they lost to the Giants. That kept Alex from starting in the bowl. He has won playoff games so it's not like he can't lead and handle some pressure. He's a middle of the pack QB but I like him and hope we sign him to a deal that allows the team to spend some cash.

DTLB58
07-19-2014, 03:28 PM
How old is Erin Andrews?

DTLB58
07-19-2014, 03:33 PM

Especially after this past springs draft class! There were teams that drafted TWO very competent WR's.

They are banking that Avery, Hemingway and Jenkins being in Reid's system one more year is enough, rather than bringing in a rookie who isn't going to do much his first season anyways because of the system.

Plus Bowe and hopefully the TE position contributes much more than last year.

splatbass
07-19-2014, 05:05 PM
Yeah because Chiefs fans care how we win lol. Like we can be picky.

I don't give a **** if our QB is Nancy Grace as long as we are World Champs once again. And I speak for every Chiefs fan. All I'm saying is TRY and draft a QB high. Who knows...it just might work out. Because the other way hasn't and that's nobody's fault but the people making the decisions because there's more than one way to eat a Reese's. ;)

The Alex Smith tenure has just started, it is WAY too early to pronounce it a failure. Since the rest of your post is based on the premise that he is a failure your entire post is worthless.

Chiefs Pantalones
07-19-2014, 05:15 PM
The Alex Smith tenure has just started, it is WAY too early to pronounce it a failure. Since the rest of your post is based on the premise that he is a failure your entire post is worthless.

The same posts were made taking up for Cassel I remember. I hope you're right but I've seen this movie before so I won't be shocked if it doesn't work out. But for the love of God please give us another Lombardi trophy, Alex. I'll post a nude selfie if he leads us to title #2.

splatbass
07-19-2014, 05:23 PM
The same posts were made taking up for Cassel I remember. I hope you're right but I've seen this movie before so I won't be shocked if it doesn't work out. But for the love of God please give us another Lombardi trophy, Alex. I'll post a nude selfie if he leads us to title #2.

It is simplistic to think that what happened with Cassel will happen with Smith. They are two different people. You seem to hang on to the past a lot, and assume the future will be exactly the same. That is no way to go through life.

Discuss Thrower
07-19-2014, 05:27 PM
It is simplistic to think that what happened with Cassel will happen with Smith. They are two different people. You seem to hang on to the past a lot, and assume the future will be exactly the same. That is no way to go through life.

Cassel.. Green.. Grbac.. Montana.. Krieg... DeBerg...

Mav
07-19-2014, 05:30 PM
Good points in all honesty.

SeeingRed
07-19-2014, 05:30 PM
He's the 2nd best offense player we got...maybe 3rd...but he's pretty damn good actually.

tk13
07-19-2014, 05:31 PM
You guys really don't think Cassel is as good as Alex Smith do you? For real? You guys are smarter than that.

Mav
07-19-2014, 05:35 PM
You guys really don't think Cassel is as good as Alex Smith do you? For real? You guys are smarter than that.
He isn't. There are only a few special ones that would even argue it.

splatbass
07-19-2014, 06:05 PM

Different men, on teams made up of different people, with different coaches. Stop living in the past and assuming the future will be the same. It is a stupid and depressing way to live your life.

Saccopoo
07-19-2014, 06:18 PM
Look at Smith's stats. You don't think we can replicate them with a QB via draft?

No fucking chance.

You stupid bastards have no fucking clue on what it takes to QB a team properly.

Smith had nothing but Charles to help him out offensively and was playing behind what was essentially a rookie offensive line. His most reliable tight end was a rookie with one year of college experience. His most reliable receiver was General Tom Thumb. And he took that shit bag of a team from an offensive perspective and led it into the playoffs.

The shit that Smith did last year was downright fucking remarkable.

And you think that you are going to replicate that by just inserting a fucking rookie QB and hit the gas?

Fucking retard.

beach tribe
07-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Especially after this past springs draft class! There were teams that drafted TWO very competent WR's.

They are banking that Avery, Hemingway and Jenkins being in Reid's system one more year is enough, rather than bringing in a rookie who isn't going to do much his first season anyways because of the system.

Plus Bowe and hopefully the TE position contributes much more than last year.

I'll bet Bowe tops 2010 in every stat, save TDs.
Bowe is lazy and sloppy until he feels like he's been disrespected or doubted.
His HUGE ego is actually gonna be a great thing for this team this season.

Watch.

Saccopoo
07-19-2014, 06:20 PM

Bowe may be the most overrated WR in the entire NFL and Avery is a total concrete hands slapdick.

The Chiefs might have the worst group of WR's in the entire league.

No, check that. They have the worst. Period.

WakkaWakka
07-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Different men, on teams made up of different people, with different coaches. Stop living in the past and assuming the future will be the same. It is a stupid and depressing way to live your life.

Do you know what the definition of insanity is?

splatbass
07-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Do you know what the definition of insanity is?

Yes, being so obsessed with past failures that you can't be objective anymore and let the past failures rule your life and make you bitter, cynical, and obnoxious to be around.

kcxiv
07-19-2014, 08:15 PM

you forgot the most important thing of all SAME OUTCOME! lol

Hootie
07-19-2014, 08:19 PM
Might as well just give him the Cutler contract and be done with it.

Make it set up so it's basically a 3 year deal worth about 16M a year.

it is what it is. That's the going rate for above average - league average NFL starting QBs.

LoneWolf
07-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Bowe may be the most overrated WR in the entire NFL and Avery is a total concrete hands slapdick.

The Chiefs might have the worst group of WR's in the entire league.

No, check that. They have the worst. Period.

Cam Newton thinks you're a dumbass.

splatbass
07-19-2014, 08:38 PM
you forgot the most important thing of all SAME OUTCOME! lol

See my previous post just above yours....

Red Dawg
07-19-2014, 10:22 PM
No ****ing chance.

You stupid bastards have no ****ing clue on what it takes to QB a team properly.

Smith had nothing but Charles to help him out offensively and was playing behind what was essentially a rookie offensive line. His most reliable tight end was a rookie with one year of college experience. His most reliable receiver was General Tom Thumb. And he took that shit bag of a team from an offensive perspective and led it into the playoffs.

The shit that Smith did last year was downright ****ing remarkable.

And you think that you are going to replicate that by just inserting a ****ing rookie QB and hit the gas?

****ing retard.

I agree and stated this earlier. His season was miraculous considering what he had past Charles.

Kaepernick
07-19-2014, 10:48 PM

Jerry Jones is the new Al Davis. As a Niner fan, I couldn't be happier.

Kaepernick
07-19-2014, 10:49 PM
All this from kaepernick
Posted via Mobile Device

Always said Alex is solid middle tier, 15-18th-ish, so I put Romo and Cutler lower than that.

Mav
07-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Jerry Jones is the new Al Davis. As a Niner fan, I couldn't be happier.
He is even starting to look like him

Mav
07-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Cam Newton thinks you're a dumbass.
Sorry, I'll take the Panthers receivers with benjamin, cotchery, and olsen over Bowe, and?

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-21-2014, 08:22 AM
These updates are awesome. God I love Smith's agent.

Lzen
07-21-2014, 09:14 AM
Really think the Chiefs should let this season play out. If he kicks ass against this schedule, then I'm on board.

That's where I am on this. Smith had a good year last year, sure. But I want to see him duplicate that this year. Actually, I would like to see a little improvement. You know, like continue his 2nd half of the season performance as well as the playoff game. If he does that then he deserves an extension, IMO.

RealSNR
07-21-2014, 09:20 AM

He's a bad WR2, but let's not say he wouldn't start for any other team.

The Bills? Browns? Panthers? Raiders? He could absolutely start for those teams. Fuck, even the Rams I would argue.

alnorth
07-21-2014, 09:37 AM
That's where I am on this. Smith had a good year last year, sure. But I want to see him duplicate that this year. Actually, I would like to see a little improvement. You know, like continue his 2nd half of the season performance as well as the playoff game. If he does that then he deserves an extension, IMO.

The problem is that if he actually does what you are hoping, then his price increases quite a bit.

Chiefnj2
07-21-2014, 09:43 AM
He's destined to fail this year behind a makeshift OL and no upgrade to the receivers.

Swing pass to Charles. Swing pass to DAT. 5 yard pass to Bowe/Avery dropped. Punt.

htismaqe
07-21-2014, 09:57 AM
The problem is that if he actually does what you are hoping, then his price increases quite a bit.

He's already in the Cutler/Romo range. The price isn't going up much at all. It can only go down...

alnorth
07-21-2014, 10:02 AM
He's already in the Cutler/Romo range. The price isn't going up much at all. It can only go down...

well, if the rumors are true, then thats fair. The amount of guaranteed money and years he might demand (the real cost) would still probably go up if the AAV "on paper" didn't change.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-21-2014, 10:24 AM
He's destined to fail this year behind a makeshift OL and no upgrade to the receivers.

Swing pass to Charles. Swing pass to DAT. 5 yard pass to Bowe/Avery dropped. Punt.

Or, he'll succeed wildly. Who knows? I just don't want to get stuck with him and everyone calling it a great move by KC.

It's time to draft high and develop. Next draft is a good one for the position. Pull trigger, please.

Tag his ass if necessary. It'll probably cost less than what his agent is asking for.

Saccopoo
07-21-2014, 10:49 AM

I think that the offensive line is going to be better than last years version.

Fisher really started to play well the last quarter of the season and Stephenson was solid. Getting both of those guys into the mindset of "this is going to be your position (LT & RT respectively) for the rest of the time you are with the team" is going to help a ton. Both are incredibly athletic for their size and both possess very good footwork and hands. I think that they are a very good tackle tandem with the potential to be great.

Allen and Hudson were essentially rookies last year in a new system. Allen has a very good work ethic, is smart and has a good skill set. I really think he turns the corner this season and lives up to his billing and high draft pick. (Most drafturbators considered him as a top three guard in his draft class)

Hudson was very solid for a majority of the year (graded out as our best offensive lineman numerous times if I remember correctly) and will only continue to get better. He should be pretty comfortable now at the center position and I look for him to start owning guys in the same manner he did in college where he was best offensive guard I've seen since Will Shields.

The real question mark is ROG, but we've basically replaced Schwartz with his twin in Linkenbach. Size, playing style, etc. are all virtually similar. Between he, Kush, Johnson or Fulton, whoever beats out who - all the better. And having a "new" guy play between Hudson and Stephenson is probably the best of a worst situation in terms of having a new guy on the line.

The real good news as far as offense goes is that, hopefully, to start the season, we'll have a healthy Fasano, Kelce to go along with a further developed McGrath. Early in the season, when Fasano was in games, Smith was a different quarterback - more confident, quicker, etc. As the season progressed, Smith started to build a rapport with McGrath, who was essentially a rookie who only played a single season in his entire college career at a college that had less people than most normal high schools. By the end of the season, McGrath was getting open and turning upfield against seasoned NFL LBs and Safeties. The guy does have a pretty good ceiling and showed it last year, along with some major grit and determination. Kelce, if healthy, gives us the TE we've clamored for since Gonzalez was traded to the Falcons. And the tight end plays an important role in Reid's West Coast system.

The one thing that they did not address was the WR position. Bowe was horrible. Avery was horrible. McCluster was solid, but he's gone and his numbers are going to be replaced by a rookie (DAT or Albert Wilson) or a Canadian league hero Weston Dressler, or the emergence of either Junior Hemingway or AJ Jenkins.

(Personally, I think that the Dressler, Wilson, DAT battle for McCluster's vacated slot receiver spot is going to be the most interesting battle of the summer. Wilson was an absolute steal in FA and has good hands, legit sub-4.40 speed, is built like a tank and excels on special teams. Dressler just plays football. Well. Three time All-State in HS, set 19 records in college, CFL rookie of the year and 4x CFL All-Star. And DAT is a human highlight film. Should be a fun battle and one of these guys will get Dex's spot and another might even take Jenkin's roster spot too.)

However you slice it, it's a pretty poor receiving group from an initial look with a lot of questions that remain unanswered. Bowe, as it currently stands, is the most overrated and overpaid receiver in the NFL. Avery would be the fourth guy at best on most teams in the NFL. Hemingway still remains a question mark as does Jenkins. And Dorsey did nothing to address the position in a draft that was considered the best WR draft since 1996.