PDA

View Full Version : Movies and TV SceneItAll Tournament: Round 5, Heat 2

Rain Man
07-21-2014, 05:01 PM
VOTE FOR TWO!

In Round 5, we have 4 heats, each with five scenes. You'll vote for two, and 8 scenes will survive. Two additional wildcards will be added to get us to our Top 10 Favorite Chiefsplanet Scenes.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AM5EYO5wWMA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FI1ylg4GKv8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/GGNdnlCbfMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DOFgFAcGHQc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Pr-8AP0To4k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

TimBone
07-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Inb4 poll

Rain Man
07-21-2014, 05:14 PM
My votes in another relatively easy to rank heat:

#1 - Back to the Future. I think it's #1 just because of the film presence of Reverend Jim and Alex Keaton.

#2 - Raiders of the Lost Ark. This may be the best movie opening ever. Han Solo never looked better.

#3 - Gladiator. This was truly the best delusion scene in the whole "A Beautiful Mind" movie. I like how they dissociated it with the entire film.

#4 - Tombstone. I didn't catch onto the fact that Batman was in disguise for a long time, but when I understood that, I understood the whole Snake Plissken subplot.

#5 - Star Wars. Where's Cliff Clavin? This scene really needed Cliff Clavin.

Pitt Gorilla
07-21-2014, 05:55 PM
Hey, rainman or whomever, I accidentally voted for Star Wars and meant to vote for tombstone. Any way to get that changed?

TLO
07-21-2014, 05:57 PM
Shit! I'm on my phone and I only clicked Back to the Future when I wanted to click Back to the Future and Gladiator. :(

TimBone
07-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Shit! I'm on my phone and I only clicked Back to the Future when I wanted to click Back to the Future and Gladiator. :(

Well then, you clicked correctly.

TLO
07-21-2014, 06:01 PM
#3 - Gladiator. This was truly the best delusion scene in the whole "A Beautiful Mind" movie. I like how they dissociated it with the entire film.

Wait, what? Is there some kind of reference here I'm not getting?

WhawhaWhat
07-21-2014, 06:02 PM
Raiders of the Lost Ark and Star Wars

Garcia Bronco
07-21-2014, 06:40 PM
You guys and the tombstone movie...lol. Wyatt Earp was better.

hometeam
07-21-2014, 06:47 PM
You guys and the tombstone movie...lol. Wyatt Earp was better.

http://www.thegb.org/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/blasphemy.gif

Infidel Goat
07-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Wait, what? Is there some kind of reference here I'm not getting?

I think you might be missing that Maverick is conflating the roles of actors in all five films with other roles that they played. It's just like Jerry Maguire to do that sort of thing.

DJJasonp
07-21-2014, 09:08 PM
Tough heat, as I love Gladiator........but c'mon.....Star Wars and Indy are two of the most iconic scenes in movie history.

Rain Man
07-21-2014, 09:11 PM

Hey, rainman or whomever, I accidentally voted for Star Wars and meant to vote for tombstone. Any way to get that changed?

With apologies, my policy is to not change voting after the fact. Despite honest mistakes from honorable people like yourselves, there's potential for manipulating the poll if someone has unjust intentions, and the polls are holy. Hopefully any voting errors won't make a difference, like swinging Florida from Gore to Bush.

DJJasonp
07-21-2014, 09:14 PM
With apologies, my policy is to not change voting after the fact. Despite honest mistakes from honorable people like yourselves, there's potential for manipulating the poll if someone has unjust intentions, and the polls are holy. Hopefully any voting errors won't make a difference, like swinging Florida from Gore to Bush.

I like this. Rain Man has a job with Price Waterhouse (firm that handles Oscars votes) waiting for him!

A man of deep integrity!

Pitt Gorilla
07-21-2014, 09:30 PM
With apologies, my policy is to not change voting after the fact. Despite honest mistakes from honorable people like yourselves, there's potential for manipulating the poll if someone has unjust intentions, and the polls are holy. Hopefully any voting errors won't make a difference, like swinging Florida from Gore to Bush.Yeah, as long as Tombstone marches on, I'm good.

Rain Man
07-21-2014, 09:38 PM
Yeah, as long as Tombstone marches on, I'm good.

I need Back to the Future to rally hard.

cosmo20002
07-21-2014, 10:26 PM
In the last round, it was pointed out that Indy could have easily ducked under the rolling boulder, which is something I somehow never noticed before.

But what has really bugged me all these years is that closing door. I decided to break it down.

:57 - Door starts coming down
1:05 - The guy from that great Boogie Nights drug deal/firecracker scene goes under the door. It's probably 6 feet off the ground.
1:14 - An odd angle, but it looks maybe 4 feet off the ground at most.
1:14 - 1:16 - The door appears to move about a foot in this 2-second span it is shown
1:24 - It is STILL probably 4 feet off the ground
1:32 - Indy slides under. It is probably 2 feet off the ground.
1:35 - Door is closed.

Assuming a constant rate of speed, that door is moving about 6 inches per second.
AT MOST, that door starts out 10 feet off the ground, and I think that's being generous. Even if 10 feet, it would take 20 seconds at most to close.
But :35 seconds after it started coming down, Indy still had two feet of clearance to slide under!

Scene is garbage!

cdcox
07-21-2014, 10:39 PM
In the last round, it was pointed out that Indy could have easily ducked under the rolling boulder, which is something I somehow never noticed before.

But what has really bugged me all these years is that closing door. I decided to break it down.

:57 - Door starts coming down
1:05 - The guy from that great Boogie Nights drug deal/firecracker scene goes under the door. It's probably 6 feet off the ground.
1:14 - An odd angle, but it looks maybe 4 feet off the ground at most.
1:14 - 1:16 - The door appears to move about a foot in this 2-second span it is shown
1:24 - It is STILL probably 4 feet off the ground
1:32 - Indy slides under. It is probably 2 feet off the ground.
1:35 - Door is closed.

Assuming a constant rate of speed, that door is moving about 6 inches per second.
AT MOST, that door starts out 10 feet off the ground, and I think that's being generous. Even if 10 feet, it would take 20 seconds at most to close.
But :35 seconds after it started coming down, Indy still had two feet of clearance to slide under!

Scene is garbage!

I forget which movie it is, but there is one where the liquid level in the drink glasses changes randomly during the various shots in the scene. Same kind of effect.

Infidel Goat
07-22-2014, 05:41 AM
Raiders of the Lost Ark. This may be the best movie opening ever. Han Solo never looked better.

Raiders of the Lost Ark gets my vote. So much fun even the nitpickers have come out in force!

Easy 6
07-22-2014, 05:43 AM
http://www.thegb.org/coppermine/albums/userpics/10002/blasphemy.gif

LMAO yep, wyatt earp SUCKED BALLS.

jjchieffan
07-22-2014, 07:43 AM
I can't believe more of you are not entertained. Gladiator needs to move on. Tough choices here but I'm going with Tombstone for my second vote. I love Raiders but those two are better scenes

Omaha
07-22-2014, 07:53 AM
I can see that this will likely go south very soon as many of you seem to be into little kid movies. WTF!

Rain Man
07-22-2014, 04:55 PM
In a terrible and shameful outcome, the best scenes didn't win this heat. Moving on to the Top Ten in Round 6 are Tombstone and Star Wars.