PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Do you have FAITH in the Chiefs?

duncan_idaho
07-22-2014, 07:57 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/lu3VTngm1F0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This season's theme song: To be provided by George Michael

I was tumbling through my Twitter feed this morning (How very ChiefsandOsFan of me!) and found this article (http://www.foxsports.com/kansas-city/story/chiefs-asking-one-word-of-their-fans-as-training-camp-begins-faith-071814) from Fox Sports about season two of the Dorsey/Reid regime.

My thoughts: It sums this season up pretty accurately. Awful lot of faith being asked for at this point. It's a hard thing for me to have as a fan due to: 1) The franchise's history when asking fans to have FAITH; 2) The lack of track record in KC for Reid, and the lack of track record for Dorsey as his own man, period.

It's preseason. The Chiefs seem to be running so much on HOPE and FAITH, Barrack Obama's 2008 campaign team would have a good case for plagiarism.

So let's start with this: What area that requires FAITH do you feel most confident will end up where the team needs it to end up?

For me, I probably would go with Marcus Cooper improving and Sean Smith getting his sh*t together.

WakkaWakka
07-22-2014, 08:01 AM
Nope

loochy
07-22-2014, 08:01 AM
No.

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/iJxHzcuNcCJXi" width="500" height="375" frameBorder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

keg in kc
07-22-2014, 08:03 AM
I'm not big on faith.

KC native
07-22-2014, 08:04 AM
offseason. amirite?

Frosty
Fool me once...

BlackHelicopters
The past has me jaded. No.

RealSNR
07-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Abdullah is going to not just be better than Kendrick Lewis (which was a given anyway) but he's actually going to be fairly impressive at FS.

I'm also pretty confident we'll pick out a pretty decent RG.

Other than that, I'm not willing to put faith in anything else. The Chiefs need about 7 or 8 different players to unprecedentedly do great things this season. It's extremely unlikely that more than 4 of those guys will meet those expectations

KCUnited
07-22-2014, 08:06 AM
He can't be any worse than Kendrick Lewis, amirite?

RealSNR
07-22-2014, 08:08 AM
This was a shitty thread title, by the way.

Never ask a question in the thread title, then ask a completely different question in the OP that you actually want to be discussed.

cosmo20002
07-22-2014, 08:08 AM
Do you have FAITH in the Chiefs?

I have faith that they do exist, which is more than I can say for some other faith-based entities.

FlaChief58
07-22-2014, 08:12 AM
6-10 baby! I BELIEVE!

Munson
07-22-2014, 08:14 AM
Nope.

Not until they win a playoff game sometime this century.

DeezNutz
07-22-2014, 08:16 AM
Tony Dungy wouldn't post in this thread.

cosmo20002
07-22-2014, 08:20 AM
This was a shitty thread title, by the way.

Never ask a question in the thread title, then ask a completely different question in the OP that you actually want to be discussed.

That's a classic flaw in 99% of the non-Rain Man polls on CP.

Rausch
07-22-2014, 08:21 AM
I have faith in the HC and that the players will play up to their abilities.

As of right now I have no faith in our GM who in two drafts has done an even worse job adding young talent than Pissholee did...

KCUnited
07-22-2014, 08:25 AM
If we can just run out a league average offense...wrong thread.

Pablo
07-22-2014, 08:27 AM
LOLOLOL

I have faith they'll continue with the same nut kicking they've been giving us for the past couple of decades.

Iowanian
07-22-2014, 08:27 AM
It's pretty damn hard to have much faith after the past decade or two due only to the production of the team and it's history of shitting on us.

The Chiefs are our bad girlfriend, we love her but we know she's going to end up on a losing meth bender or finish the season with a 4 game losing gangbang.

Chiefs fans should be able to at least understand the guys who pay hookers to stomp on their balls. It doesn't make sense but we basically do the same thing with each ticket and $7 beer.

bevischief
07-22-2014, 08:33 AM
:banghead:

Reerun_KC
07-22-2014, 08:41 AM
Bawhahahaha hard to have faith in a franchise that caters to the average tail gater... This fanbase is more worried about parking, tailgating, beating their wives and driving drunk than it is the product on the field.

So no there isnt anything to be optimistic about when it comes to one of the bottom feeder NFL teams...

DMAC
07-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Faith leads to another holy war.

Saccopoo
07-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Abdullah is going to not just be better than Kendrick Lewis (which was a given anyway) but he's actually going to be fairly impressive at FS.

Abdullah will be markedly better.

Commings will be better.

Sorensen will be better.

You couldn't possibly have anyone at this level that was worse. Feel kinda bad as Lewis really had a nice rookie year and seemed like he could have been the guy at FS, but something got him. Probably the repeated injuries to his shoulder. But he was downright awful last season, as was Dunta Robinson. I don't think I've ever seen two defensive backs play as bad as those two did in 2013. We are going to be better simply by subtracting both of those guys off the roster and replacing them with anyone else.

Agree. Between Linkenbach, Kush, Watkins, Johnson, Fulton and Duvernay-Tardiff, they'll find someone who can play. As well, I really like their offensive line coaching staff that compliments Reid's experience at the position and coaching the position. The offensive line will be much better this year.

Other than that, I'm not willing to put faith in anything else. The Chiefs need about 7 or 8 different players to unprecedentedly do great things this season. It's extremely unlikely that more than 4 of those guys will meet those expectations

I don't know about 7 or 8 doing "great" things, though they will need some guys to step up:

1. Dwayne Bowe
- Bowe can't show up like he did last season. I think he got complacent due to Smith and Reid versus what he had to work with previously in his career. He can't just show up.

2. Catapano & Bailey
- These two guys have to step it up and provide a pass rush and minutes beyond what we get from Hali and Houston. I'm sick of hearing about these guys - let's see something from them on the field.

3. Nico Johnson
- He's got to be the man next to DJ. Nobody seems to be talking about this position and it's importance, but there has to be more impact and production from the MLB spot so that it allows Berry to effectively play the safety position versus cover over for mediocrity at this spot. If Nico can't beat out the other tomato cans on this roster for this spot, then the FO really missed the boat on drafting a guy who could have/should have in the 2014 Draft.

4. Marcus Cooper
- While he flashed as a rookie last season, he's got to take the next step and be the guy who made it possible to just outright release Flowers for.

I think that if these four/five guys step it up, we're a better all-around team than last season and we will contend with the Donkeys for the top spot in the AFC West.

InChiefsHeaven
07-22-2014, 08:59 AM
It's pretty damn hard to have much faith after the past decade or two due only to the production of the team and it's history of shitting on us.

The Chiefs are our bad girlfriend, we love her but we know she's going to end up on a losing meth bender or finish the season with a 4 game losing gangbang.

Chiefs fans should be able to at least understand the guys who pay hookers to stomp on their balls. It doesn't make sense but we basically do the same thing with each ticket and $10 beer.

FYP. At least, I think that's what it was last year when I went...

Halfcan
07-22-2014, 09:01 AM
I am extremely confident they will win 6 games.

This is a rebuilding year with a tougher schedule ahead.

el borracho
07-22-2014, 09:10 AM
I am extremely confident they will win 6 games.

This is a rebuilding year with a tougher schedule ahead.

Aren't they all?

RealSNR
07-22-2014, 09:22 AM
I don't know about 7 or 8 doing "great" things, though they will need some guys to step up:

1. Dwayne Bowe
- Bowe can't show up like he did last season. I think he got complacent due to Smith and Reid versus what he had to work with previously in his career. He can't just show up.

2. Catapano & Bailey
- These two guys have to step it up and provide a pass rush and minutes beyond what we get from Hali and Houston. I'm sick of hearing about these guys - let's see something from them on the field.

3. Nico Johnson
- He's got to be the man next to DJ. Nobody seems to be talking about this position and it's importance, but there has to be more impact and production from the MLB spot so that it allows Berry to effectively play the safety position versus cover over for mediocrity at this spot. If Nico can't beat out the other tomato cans on this roster for this spot, then the FO really missed the boat on drafting a guy who could have/should have in the 2014 Draft.

4. Marcus Cooper
- While he flashed as a rookie last season, he's got to take the next step and be the guy who made it possible to just outright release Flowers for.

I think that if these four/five guys step it up, we're a better all-around team than last season and we will contend with the Donkeys for the top spot in the AFC West.

Joe Mays is very likely going to start over Nico Johnson unless Johnson improved by leaps and bounds over the offseason. It would be nice to find an improvement over Akeem Jordan between those two players, but if we just get more of the same, we're not necessarily screwed.

We also have Vance Walker on the team now. Again, it would be really swell if Bailey and Catapano did something awesome, but we're at least adequately covered at that position if they're just going to be talentless shitdicks. We never were going to find the next JJ Watt in that group of players anyway.

So in addition to Bowe and Cooper being absolute MUSTS for marked improvement, I would also add:

Eric Fisher- I don't care what kind of little adjustments he made as the season went on. He was a fat pussy throughout the entire season as far as I'm concerned. And with the comfort of the left side (I'm STILL skeptical that moving to the right was such a huge fucking deal to him) comes greater responsibility, and the dude wasn't even able to work out heavy duty in the spring months. I'm extremely on guard about him at LT. He NEEDS to not fuck this up or we're pretty much dead

Jeff Allen- I have yet to see this guy put together a game where I go, "Wow, he's looking pretty good out there!" If Fisher is still AIDS, Allen isn't good enough to at least do his job the right way. It's quite possible that our entire left flank is going to suck. Have fun, Alex.

Kelce, Harris, or SOME shitty TE on our roster- I don't need to explain this one

AJ Jenkins or Junior Hemingway- Can you imagine what would happen if Bowe or Avery went down in a game? I know last year we didn't exactly have a great backup plan either, but at least McCluster was decent on short yardage possession routes and slants. We don't even have that this year. And Christ... forget about running 3 or 4 receiver formations if neither of these two assholes can find their dicks

Alex Smith- ITTH NOT ALEXTH THMITH'TH FAULT!!!!!11111 No, I'm not saying it is, but we simply can not afford to have the Alex Smith of the first 8 games. I'm expecting some stupid asshole to bring up how the team went 9-0 with shitty Alex Smith, but let's be honest here. He wasn't game managing in a lot of those games-- he was sucking ass and getting bailed out by the defense. I'm fine with game manager Alex Smith- the one we saw against Jacksonville, Dallas, and Oakland. I know that we don't necessarily need the Indianapolis game Alex Smith. I'm NOT okay with Buffalo and Houston Alex Smith. We can't afford any shitty games by him, especially against the defenses we're facing this year. If he's not on par, I don't think we've made enough adjustments on defense to carry his ass. Especially not against the Donks and Chargers.

Saccopoo
07-22-2014, 09:37 AM
Joe Mays is very likely going to start over Nico Johnson unless Johnson improved by leaps and bounds over the offseason. It would be nice to find an improvement over Akeem Jordan between those two players, but if we just get more of the same, we're not necessarily screwed.

We also have Vance Walker on the team now. Again, it would be really swell if Bailey and Catapano did something awesome, but we're at least adequately covered at that position if they're just going to be talentless shitdicks. We never were going to find the next JJ Watt in that group of players anyway.

So in addition to Bowe and Cooper being absolute MUSTS for marked improvement, I would also add:

Eric Fisher- I don't care what kind of little adjustments he made as the season went on. He was a fat pussy throughout the entire season as far as I'm concerned. And with the comfort of the left side (I'm STILL skeptical that moving to the right was such a huge ****ing deal to him) comes greater responsibility, and the dude wasn't even able to work out heavy duty in the spring months. I'm extremely on guard about him at LT. He NEEDS to not **** this up or we're pretty much dead

Jeff Allen- I have yet to see this guy put together a game where I go, "Wow, he's looking pretty good out there!" If Fisher is still AIDS, Allen isn't good enough to at least do his job the right way. It's quite possible that our entire left flank is going to suck. Have fun, Alex.

Kelce, Harris, or SOME shitty TE on our roster- I don't need to explain this one

AJ Jenkins or Junior Hemingway- Can you imagine what would happen if Bowe or Avery went down in a game? I know last year we didn't exactly have a great backup plan either, but at least McCluster was decent on short yardage possession routes and slants. We don't even have that this year. And Christ... forget about running 3 or 4 receiver formations if neither of these two assholes can find their dicks

Alex Smith- ITTH NOT ALEXTH THMITH'TH FAULT!!!!!11111 No, I'm not saying it is, but we simply can not afford to have the Alex Smith of the first 8 games. I'm expecting some stupid asshole to bring up how the team went 9-0 with shitty Alex Smith, but let's be honest here. He wasn't game managing in a lot of those games-- he was sucking ass and getting bailed out by the defense. I'm fine with game manager Alex Smith- the one we saw against Jacksonville, Dallas, and Oakland. I know that we don't necessarily need the Indianapolis game Alex Smith. I'm NOT okay with Buffalo and Houston Alex Smith. We can't afford any shitty games by him, especially against the defenses we're facing this year. If he's not on par, I don't think we've made enough adjustments on defense to carry his ass. Especially not against the Donks and Chargers.

I'd agree with everything, but if Joe Mays is starting, that doesn't bode well for our defense. He's poor in coverage and is just a dude. And I do think that teams were taking advantage of our lack of productivity at that spot in the field and it forced us to put Berry more into the box than he should be at this point in his career.

Because of the tomato cans we had at MLB, Berry was essentially turned into LaRon Landry, and for a guy with Berry's speed and athleticism, that's not a good thing for the back half of the defense.

Having shit at the MLB position hurt this team.

I'm not so much worried about Fisher and Allen. I think that they are both going to be much better than who they were last season and Fisher did improve markedly by the end of the season. He has to stay healthy though, as well as Stephenson, or we are really screwed.

I think you are a little overstated on the expectations (or lack thereof) on Smith. New system, entirely new coaches from top to bottom, new players, what was essentially a rookie offensive line outside of Albert, a rookie TE and a hobbled one, etc. The guy was walking into a situation that was exceedingly detrimental to kicking ass and he did remarkably well. If those situations, against better teams, you are going to see "game manager" more than you are against what you saw in the playoff game. For this season, I think you see that Alex Smith and that offense (and hopefully a Dwayne Bowe who doesn't shit the game away by bad play after bad play) versus the "game manager" type of performances.

Bwana
07-22-2014, 09:40 AM
This season is not looking good.

Ebolapox
07-22-2014, 09:49 AM
I'll have faith that they'll let us down once more if we try to have faith in them. nope. no more. I'm not that young anymore. perform and I'll root for you. disappoint me and I'll laugh at you. no more blind faith.

Grim
07-22-2014, 09:54 AM
I have faith that Andy Reid will field a competetive team this season.

Sandy Vagina
07-22-2014, 09:56 AM
9 or 10 wins.. but the OL will have to be remotely tolerable. If they are playing top 15-like? then we could be talking more wins. Bottom 5-like? and ugh.. lucky to break even.

I don't suffer from PTSD as many Chiefs fans... ... so yeah.. some faith. http://img819.imageshack.us/img819/3193/vikeslogo.gif

Pasta Little Brioni
07-22-2014, 10:03 AM
They are a playoff team again...but will still not win a playoff game :(

TRR
07-22-2014, 10:09 AM
I'd agree with everything, but if Joe Mays is starting, that doesn't bode well for our defense. He's poor in coverage and is just a dude. And I do think that teams were taking advantage of our lack of productivity at that spot in the field and it forced us to put Berry more into the box than he should be at this point in his career.

Because of the tomato cans we had at MLB, Berry was essentially turned into LaRon Landry, and for a guy with Berry's speed and athleticism, that's not a good thing for the back half of the defense.

Having shit at the MLB position hurt this team.

I'm not so much worried about Fisher and Allen. I think that they are both going to be much better than who they were last season and Fisher did improve markedly by the end of the season. He has to stay healthy though, as well as Stephenson, or we are really screwed.

I think you are a little overstated on the expectations (or lack thereof) on Smith. New system, entirely new coaches from top to bottom, new players, what was essentially a rookie offensive line outside of Albert, a rookie TE and a hobbled one, etc. The guy was walking into a situation that was exceedingly detrimental to kicking ass and he did remarkably well. If those situations, against better teams, you are going to see "game manager" more than you are against what you saw in the playoff game. For this season, I think you see that Alex Smith and that offense (and hopefully a Dwayne Bowe who doesn't shit the game away by bad play after bad play) versus the "game manager" type of performances.

I think you are undervaluing Joe Mays. He is better in coverage than Jordan was, and is certainly better in coverage thank Nico Johnson. Johnson's MO has always been that...even at Alabama.

You are certainly more sure of the OL than I am. Whoever starts at RG will be a downgrade IMO over last year...at least in the first half of the year. Fisher really needs to be consistent at LT, or KC is in trouble.

I believe Junior will give KC something they missed in the slot last year....size and hands. He is good in the red zone and I believe in his targets last year, Junior didn't drop a ball. KC will need AJ or Kyle Williams to step up as well as Kelce to take the O to the next level.

As far as the D goes....the CBs will need to play with more intelligence than last season. Flowers, Lewis, Demps, Robinson, Berry, Smith and Cooper all had moments of complete idiocy last season. You are going to get beat. The NFL has made sure of that. Just be where you are supposed to be. Hopefully our new players in the secondary can simply do that.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-22-2014, 10:10 AM
Mays is complete shit

Pablo
07-22-2014, 10:11 AM
I'll have faith that they'll let us down once more if we try to have faith in them. nope. no more. I'm not that young anymore. perform and I'll root for you. disappoint me and I'll laugh at you. no more blind faith.C'MON JUST BE A FAN!!!!11!1!11!!!

Reerun_KC
07-22-2014, 10:12 AM
C'MON JUST BE A FAN!!!!11!1!11!!!

Its your choice....

Lightrise
07-22-2014, 10:19 AM

I agree on Abdullah and I've steadily become more optimistic. I no longer believe the Chiefs will cut Bray. It's Daniels who will be gone. I'm hoping that Frankie Hammond makes the team. I saw something in that guy last year. The people on the line I'm most nervous about is actually Allen and Hudson. Its too much to ask to give Hudson's job to Kush now, but Hudson is not the answer and we've seen the best we are going to see from Allen. I think Fisher is iffy but I'm leaning toward him surprising everyone at where he naturally belongs. I'm solidly behind Alex Smith. He just sold me last year. The guy is not careless and that alone wins games you probably shouldn't. I don't see us beating Seattle but I do see us beating the Patriots and at least splitting the Denver and San Diego games. That doesn't mean much when you lose to the 49ers but again, there's the Smith motivation and you never know. I don't see the NFCW as a disaster like I once did. But with Percy Harvin healthy I cant see winning that game. If it were up to me, I would have tried to deal Hali and I would have concluded the Houston and Smith contracts already and then given Ford Hali's job now. It will be interesting what Dorsey does as the cuts come all over the league. I've thought it all through and I'm ok losing all the players we did. It moves the team forward and I don't see us losing. I don't have confidence in Kelce however. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Bearcat
07-22-2014, 10:19 AM

BUY SEASON TICKETS!

Benefits include:
The opportunity to purchase preseason tickets at full price.
The opportunity to purchase postseason tickets... well, maybe.
The opportunity to purchase full price parking.
And many other opportunities to give us your money.

siberian khatru
07-22-2014, 10:21 AM
I keep up with news of the team, but the playoff loss sucked my soul dry.

I have zero faith and zero expectations. If they win, great. If they lose, so what.

lcarus
07-22-2014, 10:21 AM
We know Sean Smith can cover a lightpole.

Nzoner
07-22-2014, 10:23 AM
I'm taking the under on total wins when I'm in Vegas next month.

John Dope
07-22-2014, 10:26 AM
8-9 wins

Personnel isn't the only thing. It's a big piece of the pie but there are several other key pieces.

Who did we really lose anyway? I think we have guys who can match last year's production in the positions we lost. I don't even think it will be a challenge. The only player we cannot lose is Poe. We have no back up for Poe and he can't be replaced. I wish we would sign Ryan Pickett to a one year deal.

Consistency - this is the first time we've had the same offensive coordinator, head coach, and quarterback in consecutive years in a very long time.

Chemistry - Last year's team had the best chemistry I've seen since 2003. Those guys believed. They will build on that chemistry.

Experience - Losing the playoff game the way we did could be a good thing in the long run. Last year we were the youngest team in the league and we will learn from it.

Sweet Daddy Hate
07-22-2014, 12:17 PM
Not one dripping ounce.

ChiefsCountry
07-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Nope, but Andy Reid is one hell of a coach though only thing I can think of that gives us some hope this year.

duncan_idaho
07-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Gotta be honest, a lot more pessimism in this thread than I expected. I was trying to find a reason to have some faith. Not finding much.

Sandy Vagina
07-22-2014, 12:42 PM
Gotta be honest, a lot more pessimism in this thread than I expected. I was trying to find a reason to have some faith. Not finding much.

got to be kidding, dude.. This is CP, right? The majority (vocal members, at least) are always glooming-n-dooming. You must know that. http://i228.photobucket.com/albums/ee216/teg55/Emoticons/free-confused-smileys-718.gif

saphojunkie
07-22-2014, 12:43 PM
Faith is believing in things when common sense tells you not to.

So... yes.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-ITboyJEsj84/TvFTXJJznCI/AAAAAAAADvs/kRpkFjWON2g/s1600/Miracle+on+34th+Street+1947+4.png

Reerun_KC
07-22-2014, 12:45 PM
Nope, but Andy Reid is one hell of a coach though only thing I can think of that gives us some hope this year.

Andy Reid doesnt give me any hope... Seeing his play calling in the last 20 min of the playoff game was a travesty at best....

Halfcan
07-22-2014, 12:49 PM

Yep that Colts loss did it for me. I will Never expect the Chiefs to win anything-if they do that is great.

Same with the Royals- pretty much figure they will end up 3rd every year- so if the end up in 2nd place-wow that is a win. :)

Discuss Thrower
07-22-2014, 12:50 PM

This is the most anti-homer message board in the entirety of NFL fandom.. And you expected optimism??

Bearcat
07-22-2014, 12:54 PM

Wait until they win a preseason game or at the very latest, if they go 1-0... threads will start popping up about making the playoffs. The general mood around here has always been determined by the last game they played or a big change in the offseason.

duncan_idaho
07-22-2014, 12:56 PM
This is the most anti-homer message board in the entirety of NFL fandom.. And you expected optimism??

I figured we'd see at least a Marcellus hopey-dream post.

Discuss Thrower
07-22-2014, 12:58 PM
Wait until they win a preseason game or at the very latest, if they go 1-0... threads will start popping up about making the playoffs. The general mood around here has always been determined by the last game they played or a big change in the offseason.

FWIW (and IIRC) the Chiefs were never losing in preseason when both teams pulled their starters.

scho63
07-22-2014, 02:29 PM
No.

<iframe src="//giphy.com/embed/iJxHzcuNcCJXi" width="500" height="375" frameBorder="0" webkitAllowFullScreen mozallowfullscreen allowFullScreen></iframe>

DITTO!!!! :thumb:

In58men
07-22-2014, 02:32 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/07/23/rajy6a6a.jpg

rico
07-22-2014, 02:33 PM
I envy the fool who is capable of having faith in the Chiefs.

RealSNR
07-22-2014, 02:35 PM
FWIW (and IIRC) the Chiefs were never losing in preseason when both teams pulled their starters.

True. We basically lost at least two of our preseason games due solely to Vince Agnew

tecumseh
07-22-2014, 02:40 PM
I have faith the Chiefs will play every game on their schedule this year.

Iowanian
07-22-2014, 02:41 PM
I used to have faith every year.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263792
These Colors Don't Run

This is what a cell phone looked like the last time the Chiefs won a playoff game.
http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/images/object_images/535x535/10213586.jpg

This was a "smart phone" in 1994.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-csanI9PAR34/Tt0qEv-Rs2I/AAAAAAAAAjQ/p6Lz4s1oouk/s1600/OldPhone.jpg

tecumseh
07-22-2014, 02:41 PM
And not one more.

Pasta Little Brioni
07-22-2014, 02:43 PM

As of right now I think they are a playoff team. Not much to fear in the AFC.

Iowanian
07-22-2014, 02:45 PM
Why do I struggle with faith regarding the Chiefs?

The Number one song the last time the Chiefs won a playoff game?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0IA3ZvCkRkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At that time, George Michael's Song "FAITH".....off the charts for more than 4 years.

Discuss Thrower
07-22-2014, 02:46 PM
As of right now I think they are a playoff team. Not much to fear in the AFC.

Except starting 1-6. I don't think Vince Lombardi could carry a team back from that kind of start.

Frosty
07-22-2014, 02:46 PM
I used to have faith every year.

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=263792
These Colors Don't Run

This is what a cell phone looked like the last time the Chiefs won a playoff game.

Neither of my sons were born yet the last time the Chiefs won a playoff game. The oldest is a sophomore in college. :doh!:

Iowanian
07-22-2014, 02:47 PM
All that said, I went into last season with lower expectations than someone from the dating thread in a bar full of hot married women, but the winning streak was more fun than ending that night in a 3 way.

I was able to enjoy the winning. I'm not setting myself up for disappointment this year, but I'll enjoy the hell out of it if I'm surprised.

Halfcan
07-22-2014, 02:48 PM
Kind of a bad vibe when the 2014 Slogan for the Chiefs is....

"There is always next year!"

tecumseh
07-22-2014, 02:58 PM

So is this year "next year" or is next year, "next year"?

Rain Man
07-22-2014, 04:53 PM

So is this year "next year" or is next year, "next year"?

It would be inspirational if they updated it to "This year is last year's next year."

ThaVirus
07-22-2014, 05:00 PM
Why do I struggle with faith regarding the Chiefs?

The Number one song the last time the Chiefs won a playoff game?
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0IA3ZvCkRkQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That's a great song.

Easy 6
07-22-2014, 05:03 PM
Absolutely, yes... a great coaching staff, plenty of talent, their second "ah, I get it now" year in a complicated system on both sides of the ball, a re-tooled secondary that doesnt want for speed.

Throw in a few wildcards like Jenkins and Kelce making something happen and yes... I have faith.

Dayze
07-23-2014, 01:09 AM
Bawhahahaha hard to have faith in a franchise that caters to the average tail gater... This fanbase is more worried about parking, tailgating, beating their wives and driving drunk than it is the product on the field.

So no there isnt anything to be optimistic about when it comes to one of the bottom feeder NFL teams...

I concur.

HoneyBadger
07-23-2014, 01:44 AM
I plead the fifth.

Tribal Warfare
07-23-2014, 01:59 AM
Yes, if they make practical decisions by signing/restructuring contracts.

If they overpay certain stopgaps and ignore the players who actually produce on a consistent basis then fuck no.

Dave Lane
07-23-2014, 07:45 AM
They are a playoff team again...but will still not win a playoff game :(

When? Now? Are you kidding me?

07-23-2014, 09:08 AM
I have faith that they will find new and improved ways to let us down. :) Last years was about as epic as it gets though. I don't know if that can be topped.

Art Vader
07-23-2014, 09:12 AM
:banghead:

:doh!:

Saccopoo
07-23-2014, 09:16 AM
I'm taking a post in the Jamaal Charles thread and putting it in here as it is more reflective of this thread than the Chicken Little terror over in that one...

As much as I love Charles, the Chiefs aren't going to contend for a Super Bowl during the 3 or 4yr window left in Jamaal's football career. The Chiefs need a back with a window that coincides with when the Chiefs might realistically contend for a Super Bowl, someone who might peak in the next 40 or 50 years. :facepalm:

Theoretically, they should be in the Super Bowl hunt in the 2015 season.

They should have an outside shot this season if they don't suffer injuries at key positions.

Considering that they reeled off a 9-0 start last season and were in the playoffs and should have won that game if not for some seriously inexcusably bad plays by Dwayne Bowe, Kendrick Lewis and Dunta Robinson as well as injuries to Jamaal Charles and Brandon Flowers (in addition to a hobbled Houston), while operating in a new system with an entirely new coaching staff on both sides of the ball and with a totally new QB roster, this is a team that should seriously contend for at least one or two playoff wins in 2014 and, if they keep the offensive line and QB together, add one more weapon at WR (or someone emerges), they should be Super Bowl ready by the 2015 season.

Offensively, we will be better simply by building on the continuity and experience of last season, which saw the offense operating at a NFL Top 5/10 level the last half of the season. Getting Fisher and Stephenson at their correct positions (LT and RT respectively) will help. Charles, while 27, has really only played four seasons in the NFL and left after his junior year in college. There is ample tread left on those tires and the Chiefs coaching staff was getting Knile Davis more involved in the run and spreading Charles out more as the season went along. This will help preserve Charles as well.

And having a healthy Fasano and Kelce will be significant. Reid's offense has always utilized the tight end a lot, but last season, due to injuries, was forced to lean on a guy who was a rookie with only one year of very, very small college ball under his belt (McGrath). And while he performed admirably all things considered, it hampered the effectiveness of Smith in the system. (Smith was a different QB when Fasano was in the game, especially in the beginning of the season.)

In addition, while Smith received the "game manager" tag around here, he was basically forced to do so due to the limitations he had at WR, TE and the inexperience of the offensive line (which was basically all "rookies" as starters with the exception of Albert). Especially against the good teams. As the season wore on, Smith began to open it up and by the time the playoff game came around the guy was slinging it, even without Charles in the lineup. You'll see substantially more of that this season and substantially less of the game manager. Guaranteed.

Defensively, we are going to be better by subtraction, where guys like Lewis and Robinson and Jackson are gone. The presence of Vance Walker will be a boon to Houston and Hali and Mays will be a tone setter on a defense that, at times, lacked a true killer instinct. (Dude can't cover much in the pass, but he'll tear a guys head off if he gets the chance.)

In addition, we've upgraded our Special Teams from a personnel perspective. Guys like Albert Wilson, Dan Sorensen, Sanders Commings, De'anthony Thomas were all special teams aces and should immediately upgrade that area, especially under the tutelage of Dave Toub.

There is nobody in the AFC that scares me. The Donkeys retooled their defense and TJ Ward is their most important free agent acquisition and will have an impact, but they lost some key players on offense (notably Eric Decker and Zane Beadles) and the loss of those two will be noticeable. As well, Manning is another year older as is his arm.

In all honesty, the Chiefs have as good a chance as anybody in the AFC and should be better this season simply based on the continuity of the team in the system. The talent is there, especially on the defensive side of the ball where we are better by subtraction (Lewis, Robinson, Jackson).

The NFC West is the class of the NFL right now, but they aren't the end all be all. Seattle lost contributing defensive players and their offense with Wilson is questionable at best, as is the Rams with Bradford and the 49ers with Kaepernick.

The 2014 Chiefs should be just fine and by the end of the season, they'll be in contention for the AFC West lead.

tecumseh
07-23-2014, 09:33 AM
Show alittle faith...there's magic in the night. you ain"t a beauty but, Hey you're alright...Go Chiefs 14'

Dayze
07-23-2014, 09:47 AM
I have as much faith in the Chiefs as I do in figuring out how to 'win' the lottery.

Halfcan
07-23-2014, 10:00 AM
Great post Sac.

I know my outlook is still clouded by the playoff loss.

tecumseh
07-23-2014, 10:03 AM
I'm taking a post in the Jamaal Charles thread and putting it in here as it is more reflective of this thread than the Chicken Little terror over in that one...

Theoretically, they should be in the Super Bowl hunt in the 2015 season.

They should have an outside shot this season if they don't suffer injuries at key positions.

Considering that they reeled off a 9-0 start last season and were in the playoffs and should have won that game if not for some seriously inexcusably bad plays by Dwayne Bowe, Kendrick Lewis and Dunta Robinson as well as injuries to Jamaal Charles and Brandon Flowers (in addition to a hobbled Houston), while operating in a new system with an entirely new coaching staff on both sides of the ball and with a totally new QB roster, this is a team that should seriously contend for at least one or two playoff wins in 2014 and, if they keep the offensive line and QB together, add one more weapon at WR (or someone emerges), they should be Super Bowl ready by the 2015 season.

Offensively, we will be better simply by building on the continuity and experience of last season, which saw the offense operating at a NFL Top 5/10 level the last half of the season. Getting Fisher and Stephenson at their correct positions (LT and RT respectively) will help. Charles, while 27, has really only played four seasons in the NFL and left after his junior year in college. There is ample tread left on those tires and the Chiefs coaching staff was getting Knile Davis more involved in the run and spreading Charles out more as the season went along. This will help preserve Charles as well.

And having a healthy Fasano and Kelce will be significant. Reid's offense has always utilized the tight end a lot, but last season, due to injuries, was forced to lean on a guy who was a rookie with only one year of very, very small college ball under his belt (McGrath). And while he performed admirably all things considered, it hampered the effectiveness of Smith in the system. (Smith was a different QB when Fasano was in the game, especially in the beginning of the season.)

In addition, while Smith received the "game manager" tag around here, he was basically forced to do so due to the limitations he had at WR, TE and the inexperience of the offensive line (which was basically all "rookies" as starters with the exception of Albert). Especially against the good teams. As the season wore on, Smith began to open it up and by the time the playoff game came around the guy was slinging it, even without Charles in the lineup. You'll see substantially more of that this season and substantially less of the game manager. Guaranteed.

Defensively, we are going to be better by subtraction, where guys like Lewis and Robinson and Jackson are gone. The presence of Vance Walker will be a boon to Houston and Hali and Mays will be a tone setter on a defense that, at times, lacked a true killer instinct. (Dude can't cover much in the pass, but he'll tear a guys head off if he gets the chance.)

In addition, we've upgraded our Special Teams from a personnel perspective. Guys like Albert Wilson, Dan Sorensen, Sanders Commings, De'anthony Thomas were all special teams aces and should immediately upgrade that area, especially under the tutelage of Dave Toub.

There is nobody in the AFC that scares me. The Donkeys retooled their defense and TJ Ward is their most important free agent acquisition and will have an impact, but they lost some key players on offense (notably Eric Decker and Zane Beadles) and the loss of those two will be noticeable. As well, Manning is another year older as is his arm.

In all honesty, the Chiefs have as good a chance as anybody in the AFC and should be better this season simply based on the continuity of the team in the system. The talent is there, especially on the defensive side of the ball where we are better by subtraction (Lewis, Robinson, Jackson).

The NFC West is the class of the NFL right now, but they aren't the end all be all. Seattle lost contributing defensive players and their offense with Wilson is questionable at best, as is the Rams with Bradford and the 49ers with Kaepernick.

The 2014 Chiefs should be just fine and by the end of the season, they'll be in contention for the AFC West lead.

Maybe Reid can motivate with the under, underdog role. Just play the Colts playoff tape. That should piss everyone off enough to take scalps all season.

Halfcan
07-23-2014, 10:20 AM
Maybe Reid can motivate with the under, underdog role. Just play the Colts playoff tape. That should piss everyone off enough to take scalps all season.

Great now we will be picketed by do gooders wanting to change the team name-thanks. :p

Ebolapox
07-23-2014, 11:23 AM

yeah, that's likely. I'm still a fan. just dealing with the bullshit the only way I know how, pessimism. :thumb: