PDA

View Full Version : Science Driverless cars could change everything

Pages : 1 [2]

Katipan
03-14-2024, 08:04 PM
How odd, I've been in none.
Maybe you should have learned defensive driving in L.A. too.

We can even swing an Impala across 7 lanes while holding a blunt and a glock.

mlyonsd
03-14-2024, 08:08 PM

Which one does your dominant hand hold?

Katipan
03-14-2024, 08:14 PM
Which one does your dominant hand hold?

I have a cute little scar on my hand when i was bitten for shooting left handed.

Now I hold both in my mouth.
Way more intimidating.

Otter
03-14-2024, 08:16 PM

Hey, I'm not saying all women drivers I'm just saying if shit is going to go wrong behind the wheel there's very good odds it's going to be a woman. Don't judge me until you've had to replace a vehicle or spend time in the hospital with one common denominator as the factor.

Woman! :D

Katipan
03-14-2024, 08:19 PM
I'm really sorry you got hurt, Otter, you know that.

But if you men did your job we wouldn't have to drive and we could just work on pies and blowjobs.

Otter
03-14-2024, 08:27 PM

But if you men did your job we wouldn't have to drive and we could just work on pies and blowjobs.

I like homemade pizza better than pie and well, the blowjobs, they go without saying.

Keep being a safe driver gumdrop.

El Lobo Gordo
03-15-2024, 02:39 AM
Don't judge me until you've had to replace a vehicle or spend time in the hospital with one common denominator as the factor.

Woman! :D

There are millions of male drivers out there and millions of female drivers out there. I am positive there are some female drivers who have been involved in more accidents than you....and each time it was a male driver who was at fault. Those women would be justified in believing that men are bad drivers.

In statistics this is called dimensionality. Now this isn't saying you are lying about your experience....there is no reason the believe that......even if women drivers were as good as male drivers...happenstance would require there be some male drivers who experienced multiple women at fault accidents.

If you actually experienced what you claim, you have good reason to be suspect of women drivers....you should expect your experiences to by typical. However your testimony isn't necessarily a good reason for everyone else to be suspect of women drivers because we should expect a certain number of males drivers to have really bad luck with women drivers. We expect that out of millions of male drivers, some will have have atypical experiences.

Rausch
03-15-2024, 02:58 AM

You need to be in a position of leadership.

I don't know why I just now realized this but better late than never...

BWillie
03-15-2024, 04:28 AM
Bought a new Model Y so comes with 3 months of free Full Self Driving. Doubt Ill keep it but it will be fascinating.

HemiEd
04-06-2024, 05:26 PM
Apple lays off over 600 employees in California after abandoning electric car project

Apple is laying off 614 employees in California after abandoning its electric car project. According to the WARN notice posted by the California Employment Development Department, Apple notified the affected employees on March 28 and the changes will go into effect on May 27. Affected employees worked at eight locations in Santa Clara, roughly 45 miles south of San Francisco.

Although the notice doesn’t specify which projects the employees were working on, Bloomberg reports that most of the affected employees were working at buildings related to its canceled car project, while others were working at a facility for its next-generation screen development.

Apple wound down both of these projects toward the end of February. The company started working on its car project, known internally as “Project Titan,” in 2014, and told employees that it was canceling it on February 27. Bloomberg reported at the time that some remaining employees who were working on the car project would be shifted to Apple’s generative AI projects.

Around the same time, Apple reportedly ended efforts to design and develop its own next-generation displays. The displays were supposed to be added to the company’s Apple Watch before potentially going into the company’s other devices.

The layoffs mark Apple’s first major round of job cuts post-pandemic.

Apple did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://techcrunch.com/2024/04/05/apple-lays-off-over-600-employees-in-california-after-abandoning-electric-car-plans/

Rausch
04-06-2024, 05:31 PM
Bought a new Model Y so comes with 3 months of free Full Self Driving. Doubt Ill keep it but it will be fascinating.

Update yer' will and life insurance...

DaFace
04-07-2024, 06:21 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="et" dir="ltr">Tesla Robotaxi unveil on 8/8</p>— Elon Musk (@elonmusk) <a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1776351450542768368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 5, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Stewie
04-07-2024, 08:02 AM
Here's a good video about Tesla's self-driving feature. Apparently they've made great strides recently to improve the software.

Sorry, can't embed.

https://youtu.be/IupDr44R4fc?si=0o78XqjAgaBE9YXS

LagunaSWana
04-07-2024, 10:14 AM

I have a Y and I got the update a couple of days ago. Tried it on the freeway and I MUCH prefer autopilot to FSD. FSD attempted a couple of lane changes that I was uncomfortable making. Both times when there was a car coming up doing a higher speed than me. It would be the type of lane change that would have pissed of the person. It also decided to get out of the carpool lane miles ahead of an interchange where I would be going from one freeway to another.

I changed back to autopilot after one drive. I may give it a try on city streets or use the summon feature just to see what it's like, but I wouldn't spend a dime on it and am very glad I didn't buy it when I got my Y new. It was $7,500 at the time and I would consider that throwing $7,500 away.

Chief Pagan
04-07-2024, 12:27 PM
I've always been in the camp that driverless cars will change everything, but it will take longer than the boosters imagine.

If every car on the road, driverless or not, had some sort of short range transponder, announcing it speed and position, etc. That would make driverless cars safer and more viable.

I'm a bigger privacy type than most, and I think this is a good idea.

After almost getting killed walking at night after leaving a bar...

I would like an app on my phone that would announce my location to cars.

BWillie
04-07-2024, 01:37 PM
I have a Y and I got the update a couple of days ago. Tried it on the freeway and I MUCH prefer autopilot to FSD. FSD attempted a couple of lane changes that I was uncomfortable making. Both times when there was a car coming up doing a higher speed than me. It would be the type of lane change that would have pissed of the person. It also decided to get out of the carpool lane miles ahead of an interchange where I would be going from one freeway to another.

I changed back to autopilot after one drive. I may give it a try on city streets or use the summon feature just to see what it's like, but I wouldn't spend a dime on it and am very glad I didn't buy it when I got my Y new. It was $7,500 at the time and I would consider that throwing $7,500 away.

I agree. FSD seems to struggle knowing driving etiquette too sometimes. The biggest issue I had so far is one that isn't surprising but in a construction area on the highway we had zippered into one lane and there were cones but not many. They had us all in the far right lane and the 3 left lanes were open. FSD kept wanting to change lanes to go around the cars into the vacant lanes lol

But one of the goals of the trial FSD is to gather data. The more it is used, the better it gets and more information is sent to Tesla for them to use to make it better and for AI to improve it as well.

I'm definitely not planning to buy it for 12k when the trial ends, but I'll definitely keep using Autopilot. I just wish AP did automatic lane changes when I tell it to.

LagunaSWana
04-08-2024, 09:26 AM
I agree. FSD seems to struggle knowing driving etiquette too sometimes. The biggest issue I had so far is one that isn't surprising but in a construction area on the highway we had zippered into one lane and there were cones but not many. They had us all in the far right lane and the 3 left lanes were open. FSD kept wanting to change lanes to go around the cars into the vacant lanes lol

But one of the goals of the trial FSD is to gather data. The more it is used, the better it gets and more information is sent to Tesla for them to use to make it better and for AI to improve it as well.

I'm definitely not planning to buy it for 12k when the trial ends, but I'll definitely keep using Autopilot. I just wish AP did automatic lane changes when I tell it to.

I was using AP on a drive Saturday and it definitely helped to avoid an accident. Traffic was flowing and I noticed a car stranded on the left shoulder two lanes over. I was distracted for maybe one second when some moron moves into my lane and slows to about 10 mph. AP hit the brakes hard before I could and then I took over. Might have been an insurance scam or just an idiot.

BWillie
04-08-2024, 09:57 AM
I was using AP on a drive Saturday and it definitely helped to avoid an accident. Traffic was flowing and I noticed a car stranded on the left shoulder two lanes over. I was distracted for maybe one second when some moron moves into my lane and slows to about 10 mph. AP hit the brakes hard before I could and then I took over. Might have been an insurance scam or just an idiot.

Yeah one thing I trust autopilot to do better than me is to not hit the car in front of me that is in my lane and not going outside of the lane at least when the road is straight. It is REALLLY helpful in those instances.

One time I was using it on a 45 mph road and I was looking left at a car that was thinking about darting out. Well there was a dumbass to my right trying to cross FIVE LANES of traffic from one side of the road to the other during a busy day and I absolutely did not see them because I was looking left and Autopilot did avoid an accident there. But there are times where I let my guard down so to speak and I'll hit debris in the road...but these aren't deadly occurences at least.

RINGLEADER
04-08-2024, 07:53 PM
Yeah one thing I trust autopilot to do better than me is to not hit the car in front of me that is in my lane and not going outside of the lane at least when the road is straight. It is REALLLY helpful in those instances.

One time I was using it on a 45 mph road and I was looking left at a car that was thinking about darting out. Well there was a dumbass to my right trying to cross FIVE LANES of traffic from one side of the road to the other during a busy day and I absolutely did not see them because I was looking left and Autopilot did avoid an accident there. But there are times where I let my guard down so to speak and I'll hit debris in the road...but these aren't deadly occurences at least.

They have driverless taxis called Waymo testing in SF and in Vegas. Got a glimpse of this a couple weeks ago when I was there. To your point I think it will work once all the cars are interconnected and talking to each other — it’s the rogue human driver that is the problem.

Of course once we let the computers control our travel and AI infiltrates them we are doomed.

HemiEd
04-08-2024, 09:01 PM
They have driverless taxis called Waymo testing in SF and in Vegas. Got a glimpse of this a couple weeks ago when I was there. To your point I think it will work once all the cars are interconnected and talking to each other — it’s the rogue human driver that is the problem.

Of course once we let the computers control our travel and AI infiltrates them we are doomed.

You might want to check out post 162 in this thread. Not sure if anything has changed.

Chief Pagan
04-08-2024, 09:33 PM

Well it's the rogue human driver, you can take my license away and let AI control everything over my dead body.

And AI driverless cars are fine once they are 100 times safer than those rogue human drivers...

But otherwise, driverless cars are here in 2018, I mean just around the corner.

stevieray
04-08-2024, 09:40 PM
they're not cars, they're mobile computer pods.

Chief Pagan
04-08-2024, 10:58 PM
they're not cars, they're mobile computer pods data collecting devices with wheels.

FYP

Pinchshot
04-09-2024, 05:54 PM
Do not comply

HemiEd
04-10-2024, 06:37 PM
Your new robotaxi is only human after all.

On Tuesday, Cruise announced it would resume service in select markets, starting in Phoenix, after a five-month hiatus following an accident last year in which one of its vehicles ran over a pedestrian. The catch? Cruise’s robotaxis will now be in “manual mode” — meaning an actual human will be behind the wheel, driving the car as its computers gather more information on the local roads. We’ll be taking yellow cabs again at this point.

Posted from 1440 digest