PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Sean McGrath retiring?

In58men
07-24-2014, 02:37 PM
@Jacobs71: Per my contacts Sean McGrath was contemplating retirement. He is not on the field.

TLO
07-24-2014, 02:39 PM
Ok then.

The Franchise
07-24-2014, 02:40 PM
Must be making a new 300 movie.

Bufkin
07-24-2014, 02:42 PM
Hope not. I'm a huge Sugar Ray fan.

Strongside
07-24-2014, 02:45 PM
Saw McGrath about a month ago at the Foundry in Westport with Fasano. McGrath was driving a gray Dodge Caravan with a broken drivers side door. He had to get back into the van on the passenger side. Livin' that league minimum life.

Pitt Gorilla
07-24-2014, 02:45 PM
He kind of sucks.

Fish
07-24-2014, 02:47 PM
http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwi9hmZhjF1qa4ihzo1_500.gif

Skyy God
07-24-2014, 02:57 PM
Well, that sucks. Dude played well in spots last year.

KC native
07-24-2014, 02:58 PM
So who is going to be the next Boomer Grigsby/Sean McGrath for the Chuefs?

Clyde Frog
07-24-2014, 02:59 PM

That little white guy from the CFL

MTG#10
07-24-2014, 03:00 PM

Weston Dressler, duh.

ModSocks
07-24-2014, 03:01 PM

You haven't been paying attention.

Mike Catapano
Demetrius Harris (I think that's his first name)
And that big french-canadian offensive lineman

lcarus
Dude made some plays last season.

KC native
That little white guy from the CFL

Weston Dressler, duh.

meh, he's the next Marc Boerigccccckkkiter. He's not big and gruff enough to fill Boomer Grigsby or McGrath's shoes.

KC native
07-24-2014, 03:03 PM
You haven't been paying attention.

Mike Catapano
Demetrius Harris (I think that's his first name)
And that big french-canadian offensive lineman

None of those guys have a big enough cadre of man-crushers on CP without having done anything yet.

Titty Meat
07-24-2014, 03:04 PM
Saw McGrath about a month ago at the Foundry in Westport with Fasano. McGrath was driving a gray Dodge Caravan with a broken drivers side door. He had to get back into the van on the passenger side. Livin' that league minimum life.

The Foundry rules

lcarus
07-24-2014, 03:14 PM
At least McGrath caught the passes that hit him in the hands unlike the other fuck nuggets we had playing TE and WR.

KCUnited
07-24-2014, 03:17 PM
93% of Chiefs Fan will be devastated by this.

Frosty
07-24-2014, 03:19 PM
He seemed excited about this season. Seems like it has to be a medical issue that cropped up.

Easy 6
07-24-2014, 03:20 PM
Why the hell did he even show up at camp then?

Winners don't quit and quitters never win, Leonidas.

gblowfish
07-24-2014, 03:20 PM
I was seated right next to McGrath at a Carraba's Restaurant in Independence back around Christmas time. He was having dinner with another young big guy, think it was probably a lineman on the practice squad. He was very quiet and was just trying to be a guy out having dinner. A couple people recognized him and came over, but nobody bothered him while he was eating. This was right after we lost that game in San Diego.

Also, if he's thinking about retiring, that basketball player kid they're trying to make into a TE must be looking good.

wazu
07-24-2014, 03:21 PM

Kinda thinking that might have just been a random homeless guy. I can understand the confusion.

thabear04
07-24-2014, 03:26 PM
meh, he's the next Marc Boerigccccckkkiter. He's not big and gruff enough to fill Boomer Grigsby or McGrath's shoes.

We got a stud at FB anthony sherman

xztop123
07-24-2014, 03:30 PM

I saw Charles at that upscale bar near the plaza a last summer... He went in, got every cute girls number and left. He was talking to a short blonde and I walked in and tried to steal her attention away from him and she looked at me like "do u need something?" charles was just texting and didnt pay attention.

Ebolapox

ROFL

rep. nicely played, rook

KC native

We may have a winner here.

Why Not?
07-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Curly Bill gif?

TEX
07-24-2014, 06:27 PM
At least McGrath caught the passes that hit him in the hands unlike the other **** nuggets we had playing TE and WR.

This.

Sandy Vagina
07-24-2014, 06:41 PM
Would be a good #3 and decent #2 to keep around.. in case a TE injury occurs to the others in TC. Hope he stays on and works until September for that reason, but if he's ready to hang em up, then oh well.

milkman
07-24-2014, 07:43 PM
Would be a good #3 and decent #2 to keep around.. in case a TE injury occurs to the others in TC. Hope he stays on and works until September for that reason, but if he's ready to hang em up, then oh well.

If McGrath is on the roster, and he's higher on the depth chart than #3, then you have issues at TE.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-24-2014, 08:05 PM
Kinda sad, he was very usefull last year. Could he make it at fullback ?

Bowser
07-24-2014, 08:08 PM

He won't beat out Sherman, and I would think we're not keeping two fullbacks.

McGrath probably won't even make the roster if Kelce and Fasano are truly healthy, and that's not to mention that raw basketball guy we are trying at TE.

Rain Man
07-24-2014, 08:10 PM
I was seated right next to McGrath at a Carraba's Restaurant in Independence back around Christmas time. He was having dinner with another young big guy, think it was probably a lineman on the practice squad. He was very quiet and was just trying to be a guy out having dinner. A couple people recognized him and came over, but nobody bothered him while he was eating. This was right after we lost that game in San Diego.

Also, if he's thinking about retiring, that basketball player kid they're trying to make into a TE must be looking good.

I hope the basketball player is looking good, but last season he looked like he was years away. Catching a football did not seem to come naturally.

BullJunkandIron
07-24-2014, 08:41 PM
Tavia probably insisted he cut that beard in case he has to don a protective mask.

KChiefs1
07-24-2014, 10:26 PM

He sees the writing on the wall.

Dante84
07-24-2014, 11:00 PM
I hope the basketball player is looking good, but last season he looked like he was years away. Catching a football did not seem to come naturally.

I guess Harris put on like 30 pounds of muscle or something.

Must have been the theme of the offseason - Catapano, Kush and Harris all seriously bulked up.

Dante84
07-24-2014, 11:01 PM
I think the McGrath thing has to be related to injury, right??

He was literally the first guy to show up to camp yesterday. I'm sure they all got physicals last night/this morning.

OldSchool
07-24-2014, 11:03 PM

How could he play fullback? He can't block for shit.

ThaVirus
07-24-2014, 11:05 PM

Aren't you the guy that said you saw Charles, Houston, that shit stain Kendrick Lewis, and a few others at a concert in LA?

You're a lying motherfucker.

OldSchool

Harris was also only around 230 pounds, at best, last year. He hasn't played football since high school. He's packed on 30 pounds of muscle and hasn't lost any of his speed or explosiveness. It's going to be fun to see what Reid has in store for our TEs this year.

ThaVirus
How could he play fullback? He can't block for shit.

Seriously. Why would you even want him at FB? We've already got one of the best in the biz.

Dante84
07-24-2014, 11:09 PM
Seriously. Why would you even want him at FB? We've already got one of the best in the biz.

"WE TRADED ARENAS FOR A FB??!!!"

- CP, last year.

Strongside
07-24-2014, 11:30 PM
Aren't you the guy that said you saw Charles, Houston, that shit stain Kendrick Lewis, and a few others at a concert in LA?

You're a lying mother****er.

Ha! That wasn't in LA, asshole. It was KC. The chiefs often use a suite at the sprint center that is about 3 sections from the one that my agency shares with Bryan Cave, LLP. It's suite 110A, and I believe theirs is 114A. It was at the Made Men tour with 2chainz, juicy J and tech N9ne. Horrible show, but the story was true. All of it.

ThaVirus
07-24-2014, 11:53 PM

- CP, last year.

I was one of those..

Still think Arenas was pretty good and likely would have been very useful last season. At the same time, we probably would never have "discovered" Cooper if he was still on the roster.

That trade probably worked out in out favor.

Ha! That wasn't in LA, asshole. It was KC. The chiefs often use a suite at the sprint center that is about 3 sections from the one that my agency shares with Bryan Cave, LLP. It's suite 110A, and I believe theirs is 114A. It was at the Made Men tour with 2chainz, juicy J and tech N9ne. Horrible show, but the story was true. All of it.

LMAO

I misremembered Sprint Center as Staples Center, that's why I was thinking LA.

My b.

rabblerouser
07-25-2014, 12:19 AM
Curly Bill gif?

well...

kysirsoze
07-25-2014, 02:07 AM

He's too legitimately good to be the next Boomer Grigsby.

Bob Dole
07-25-2014, 04:15 AM
McGrath wants to move back to Arkadelphia and give Caddo River Rats some competition.

ChiTown
07-25-2014, 05:13 AM
Can you actually retire if you are homeless?

ILChief
07-25-2014, 05:43 AM

- CP, last year.

lol, arenas sucks

beach tribe
07-25-2014, 09:00 AM
None of those guys have a big enough cadre of man-crushers on CP without having done anything yet.

Seriously??

Catapano has been getting sucked off more than anyone since Maslowski.

KC native
07-25-2014, 09:06 AM
Seriously??

Catapano has been getting sucked off more than anyone since Maslowski.

By a few posters. He doesn't have the horde that the other players did yet.

I predict by the end of the pre-season that he may reach that level.

Plus, he's earned the worship so far bcuz steroids.

ct
07-25-2014, 09:43 AM

- CP, last year.

"We drafted a RT #1 overall?!?"

- CP, still to this day

lcarus
07-25-2014, 09:44 AM
So did Reid ever say what the deal was with McGrath?

Coochie liquor
07-25-2014, 10:03 AM

I just wanna fly, put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby....

Buehler445
07-25-2014, 11:36 AM
If Harris and Kelce are kicking ass, I would dump Fasano and roll with the beard. Fasano is always broken and is expensive. Beard isn't very good but he's cheap and hasn't been hurt.

ThaVirus
07-25-2014, 11:59 AM
If Harris and Kelce are kicking ass, I would dump Fasano and roll with the beard. Fasano is always broken and is expensive. Beard isn't very good but he's cheap and hasn't been hurt.

This is actually a myth manufactured by the guys here on CP. He's played in at least 14 games in 7 of his 8 NFL seasons.

Buehler445
07-25-2014, 01:06 PM
This is actually a myth manufactured by the guys here on CP. He's played in at least 14 games in 7 of his 8 NFL seasons.

Except last year. Dude looks like he's old and breaking down. When he had his (probably career) performance against us with the Fins, he looked way different than he does now.

If we are betting real dollars my money is on he's almost done.

John Dope
07-25-2014, 02:44 PM
I think of the movie Wildcats when I hear his name. I think of that wacky principle with the peanut brittle shouting, "Make a path for Sean McGrath."

Discuss Thrower
07-25-2014, 05:47 PM
Maybe McGrath is trying to pioneer a new way to avoid training camp..

-King-
07-25-2014, 05:51 PM
Except last year. Dude looks like he's old and breaking down. When he had his (probably career) performance against us with the Fins, he looked way different than he does now.

If we are betting real dollars my money is on he's almost done.
Why? Because he had ONE major injury in his career? He looked different last year because he was trying to play on the injury in the games he did play.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hawks4thewin
07-25-2014, 05:58 PM
@Jacobs71: Per my contacts Sean McGrath was contemplating retirement. He is not on the field.

I remember when he played for seattle... I really liked him. However I thought he was young.. is it an injury related retirement? or a competition driven one?

Buehler445
07-25-2014, 06:05 PM
Why? Because he had ONE major injury in his career? He looked different last year because he was trying to play on the injury in the games he did play.
Posted via Mobile Device

Could be. I could be off base. But he's on the wrong side of 30 I presume and if we are betting real dollars my money is on him being done.

fairladyZ
07-26-2014, 10:55 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Reid announces that TE Sean McGrath is going to retire.</p>&mdash; Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) <a href="https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/statuses/493063211541737472">July 26, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

sucks i liked him

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-26-2014, 10:57 AM
YES!

milkman
07-26-2014, 10:57 AM
<IFRAME style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; POSITION: absolute; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; WIDTH: 1px; HEIGHT: 0px; VISIBILITY: hidden; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none" id=twitter-widget-0 src="" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no allowtransparency="true" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered"></IFRAME>Reid announces that TE Sean McGrath is going to retire.
— Terez A. Paylor (@TerezPaylor) July 26, 2014 (https://twitter.com/TerezPaylor/statuses/493063211541737472)
<SCRIPT charset=utf-8 src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" async></SCRIPT>

sucks i liked him

If it sucked to like him, why did you?
<IFRAME style="DISPLAY: none" id=rufous-sandbox src="" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no allowtransparency="true"></IFRAME><SCRIPT src="https://syndication.twitter.com/tweets.json?ids=493063211541737472&lang=en&callback=twttr.tfw.callbacks.cb0&suppress_response_codes=true" async="async"></SCRIPT>

RealSNR
07-26-2014, 11:00 AM

- CP, last year.
It was a fucking stupid decision.

The only reason why it worked out for us in the end is because Marcus Cooper and Ron Parker fell from heaven and made our CB depth not the absolute worst fucking thing in the league.

Ever play Texas Hold'em with a douchebag that has no clue what's going on, but then gets river cards over and over again? Then he claims, "I'm just a good poker player."

That was Dorsey on that trade.

fairladyZ
07-26-2014, 11:03 AM
If it sucked to like him, why did you?
<IFRAME style="DISPLAY: none" id=rufous-sandbox src="" frameBorder=0 allowTransparency scrolling=no allowtransparency="true"></IFRAME><SCRIPT src="https://syndication.twitter.com/tweets.json?ids=493063211541737472&lang=en&callback=twttr.tfw.callbacks.cb0&suppress_response_codes=true" async="async"></SCRIPT>

he wasn't flashy but got the job done when we needed it. And was reliable. Now he's broken my heart and i can never repay him!

KCUnited
07-26-2014, 11:07 AM
I guessing he was facing a possible league suspension or has a substance abuse problem. I believe he's had problems with that in the past.

RealSNR
07-26-2014, 11:10 AM
he wasn't flashy but got the job done when we needed it. And was reliable. Now he's broken my heart and i can never repay him!

Why would you repay him for breaking your heart?

RealSNR
07-26-2014, 11:11 AM
I guessing he was facing a possible league suspension or has a substance abuse problem. I believe he's had problems with that in the past.

I thought Reid said it was "personal issues"

lcarus
07-26-2014, 11:14 AM

Wouldn't substance abuse count as that? Maybe the guy is hooked on pain killers or something. Who knows

KCUnited
07-26-2014, 11:18 AM

He did, which could be interpreted a number of different ways. It's just odd that he showed up and then contemplated retirement that day. Maybe the Chiefs were notified of something by the league and he made that decision after speaking with the Chiefs.

BullJunkandIron
07-26-2014, 11:27 AM
He might have a hem roux

Dunerdr
07-26-2014, 02:18 PM
He slept with a tranny. That kind of personal issues.

Mojo Jojo
07-26-2014, 04:57 PM
KK on WHB on Friday was all over not to speculate but it could be substance related...but we shouldn't guess...he does have a troubled past with drugs, so that could be it...not saying he was facing a suspension, but it could be a reason why he is walking away with the past he has. Glad they didn't try to force any rumors...

RealSNR
07-26-2014, 05:01 PM
Why would he walk away from the NFL if he has a problem with drugs?

Do drugs in the NFL? Get suspended for some games

Do drugs in real life? Jail time!

Easy 6
07-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Thats too bad about Bloodbath, but atleast now the TE picture is easier to see... heres to hoping Harris has a very short learning curve.

The size of a power forward and greasy fast... thats exciting.

ChiTown
07-27-2014, 12:58 PM

I'm sure He'll still let you swallow his load - retirement shouldn't stop that.....

Marcellus
07-27-2014, 01:50 PM
It was a ****ing stupid decision.

The only reason why it worked out for us in the end is because Marcus Cooper and Ron Parker fell from heaven and made our CB depth not the absolute worst ****ing thing in the league.

Ever play Texas Hold'em with a douchebag that has no clue what's going on, but then gets river cards over and over again? Then he claims, "I'm just a good poker player."

That was Dorsey on that trade.

So if you do something that doesn't work out you are a dumbass and if you do something that works you are simply lucky.

This doesn't sound agenda driven at all.

milkman
07-27-2014, 02:00 PM
So if you do something that doesn't work out you are a dumbass and if you do something that works you are simply lucky.

Dipshit.

RealSNR
07-27-2014, 03:06 PM

Dude, you can't be serious.

In Dorsey's first draft he pissed away a 6th rounder on Braden Wilson. He also signed Toben Opurum, and we already had Shane Bannan on the roster from last year.

I get that the FB is more important to Reid than it is to other coaches. But geez... give the guys you have a chance to make shit work, especially the two young players you JUST acquired.

But less than one week later (not even during training camp or even mini-camp, but ONE WEEK after the 2013 draft) Dorsey makes this trade for Sherman. He acquires him for the price of Javier Arenas. I'm not touting Arenas as a great player or anything, but he was at least tolerable depth. And boy, did we need it. In trading his ass away for a FB before we even saw what our new drafted and undrafted FBs could do, he made Jalil Brown our 3rd CB. Remember that Travis Daniels was converted to safety (and cut anyway). So here's what our CB depth looked like:

Flowers
Smith
Brown
Menzie (coming off injury)
VINCE AGNEW

That was an irresponsible trade. Period. Dorsey was a dumbass for making it, and it is only through blind luck that it worked out pretty well for the team instead of turning it into a shit hole.

ThaVirus
07-27-2014, 04:21 PM
Vince fucking Agnew LMAO

SNR loves that dude.

Titty Meat
07-27-2014, 06:09 PM
Arenas is so good hes on his 3rd team in 1 year. We really missed his 12 tackles last year.

TribalElder
07-27-2014, 06:12 PM
Daquan Menzie also retired per pro football talk ROFL
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/27/ron-rivera-dequan-menzie-is-retiring/

ThaVirus
07-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Arenas was a decent slot guy. He didn't last through a regime change here and got cut from one of the best defenses in the league. Not too much of a surprise, really. Tough sledding in the NFL..

RealSNR
07-27-2014, 11:46 PM
Arenas is so good hes on his 3rd team in 1 year. We really missed his 12 tackles last year.

And without Ron Parker and Marcus Cooper last year, our secondary would have been a piss shit ton worse off than it was.

I know it's fun to make it seem like I think Arenas was this great player. You always pull shit like that.

I'm saying Dorsey was an irresponsible fucktard who drafted a FB and less than a week later traded a non-brokedick veteran player at our position of weakest depth for ANOTHER FB. And these aren't LBs or offensive linemen or WRs. THESE ARE FUCKING FULLBACKS.

He was like Mr. Magoo walking into an AIDS fire in the kitchen and coming out of the house completely unburned with a roast beef sandwich that he picked off the counter.

Titty Meat
07-28-2014, 12:28 AM
And without Ron Parker and Marcus Cooper last year, our secondary would have been a piss shit ton worse off than it was.

I know it's fun to make it seem like I think Arenas was this great player. You always pull shit like that.

I'm saying Dorsey was an irresponsible ****tard who drafted a FB and less than a week later traded a non-brokedick veteran player at our position of weakest depth for ANOTHER FB. And these aren't LBs or offensive linemen or WRs. THESE ARE ****ING FULLBACKS.

He was like Mr. Magoo walking into an AIDS fire in the kitchen and coming out of the house completely unburned with a roast beef sandwich that he picked off the counter.

Your assertion is ridiculous. You act as though it was impossible for Dorsey and the scouting staff to comb over every roster in the league and identify talent. The same with the draft.

Im sure that if they didn't think they couldnt find a shitty punt returner, who couldnt play on the outside and had 12 total tackles last year he would have kept Arenas.

Sherman is one of the best fullbacks and contributed on one of the best special teams in the league.

The problem with your argument is that it doesnt involve reality. You are using hindsight that doesnt exist.

RealSNR
07-28-2014, 08:10 AM
Your assertion is ridiculous. You act as though it was impossible for Dorsey and the scouting staff to comb over every roster in the league and identify talent. The same with the draft.

Im sure that if they didn't think they couldnt find a shitty punt returner, who couldnt play on the outside and had 12 total tackles last year he would have kept Arenas.

Sherman is one of the best fullbacks and contributed on one of the best special teams in the league.

The problem with your argument is that it doesnt involve reality. You are using hindsight that doesnt exist.

You're still not getting it.

Why did he burn a 6th rounder on Braden Wilson, then, if it was only ever about wanting to acquire Anthony Sherman? Remember, the trade happened less than one week after the draft. If he was combing through rosters for other talent, he certainly could have timed that shit better.

RealSNR
07-29-2014, 11:08 PM
http://www.chiefsspin.com/loss-of-playing-spark-contributes-to-sean-mcgraths-retirement/

KANSAS CITY, Mo. – Chiefs tight end Sean McGrath’s sudden retirement from football came as a surprise.

While the Chiefs haven’t provided details, McGrath’s agent, John Owens, offered an explanation Tuesday during a telephone interview.

“Sean was concerned he no longer had the spark to get ready to play football,” Owens said, “and he didn’t want to be a detriment to the Chiefs.”

Speaking on behalf of his client, Owens said McGrath has “tremendous respect” for the Chiefs organization and enjoyed playing for coach Andy Reid.

Owens didn’t disclose what’s next for his client, but said McGrath prefers not to be interviewed at this time.

The 26-year-old McGrath attended the Chiefs’ voluntary organized team activities and mandatory minicamp. He reported on time for training camp on Wednesday, July 23, but didn’t participate in practice for three straight days before Reid confirmed McGrath’s status.

“McGrath is going to retire,” Reid said following Saturday’s practice. “That’s what we’ve been told by him and I wish him the best. He’s a good kid and it was a personal decision he made.”

The Chiefs claimed McGrath off waivers from the Seattle Seahawks on Sept. 1, 2013, and he quickly became a fan favorite.

Known as “The Beard,” McGrath led the Chiefs’ tight ends in receptions (26) and yards receiving (302) in 2013, adding two touchdowns.

He appeared in 16 regular-season games with nine starts, and played in the AFC Wild Card Game.

McGrath, a native of Mundelein, Ill., entered the league in 2012 as an undrafted free agent out of Henderson State with the Seahawks.

He appeared in 18 games (two with Seattle) during a two-year playing career.

Meanwhile, the Chiefs placed McGrath on the reserve/did not report list on Saturday evening and claimed tight end Adam Schiltz off waivers from the Tennessee Titans.

The Chiefs have tight ends Anthony Fasano, Travis Kelce, Demetrius Harris, Richard Gordon and Schiltz in training camp