PDA

View Full Version : Poop I saw a hummingbird take a poop this morning!

HemiEd
07-25-2014, 03:58 PM
After almost thirty days of retirement, I just had to share this with my fellow planeteers.

Been a little to busy for the interwebs, but sometimes you just have to take a time out.

Around 6:00 this morning, there were four hummingbirds working over the feeders, then the dominant one let her slide. You had to be focused on it, as it is a quick and minimal event.

Donger
07-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Get a job.

Mr_Tomahawk
07-25-2014, 03:59 PM
Did you make a wish or something...?

BlackHelicopters
07-25-2014, 04:00 PM
Did you see unicorns and rainbows?

Donger
07-25-2014, 04:05 PM
I do love hummingbirds, though. I have a wasp-proof feeder hanging from a suction cup hook, so you can get about 6 six inches away from them. Lots of ruby-throated little fuckers.

HemiEd
07-25-2014, 04:05 PM
Get a job.
That is my job
Did you make a wish or something...?They have been fulfilled already, no need. I took a nap yesterday.

Did you see unicorns and rainbows?Maybe tomorrow morning, I will report back.

HemiEd
07-25-2014, 04:09 PM
I do love hummingbirds, though. I have a wasp-proof feeder hanging from a suction cup hook, so you can get about 6 six inches away from them. Lots of ruby-throated little ****ers.

They are cool as heck.

We used to see plenty of them in Colorado, and they are just about as strong here, not so much in Kansas and Illinois. There is always an aggressive one that wants to run others off, but he could't handle three invaders this morning.

Amazing critters. Lots of different colors.

Donger
07-25-2014, 04:13 PM
They are cool as heck.

We used to see plenty of them in Colorado, and they are just about as strong here, not so much in Kansas and Illinois. There is always an aggressive one that wants to run others off, but he could't handle three invaders this morning.

Do you make your own "nectar"?

HemiEd
07-25-2014, 04:18 PM

I am not sure if mixing the dry stuff in the "humming nectar bag" with water qualifies? Do you? I am ready to learn more about this new profession.

Do you have a link to the wasp proof feeder? One of my favorite feeders broke, only leaving me two, so at least one more is on the list to get.

Donger
07-25-2014, 04:22 PM
I am not sure if mixing the dry stuff in the "humming nectar bag" with water qualifies? Do you? I am ready to learn more about this new profession.

Do you have a link to the wasp proof feeder? One of my favorite feeders broke, only leaving me two, so at least one more is on the list to get.

No, that doesn't qualify. Four parts water to one part sugar. I do 2 cups of filtered water and 1/2 cup of white sugar into a Pyrex cup, and stir until dissolved. Then, nuke it until boiling. Let it cool, obviously, before filling the feeder.

Here's the feeder I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Aspects-HummZinger-HighView-Hanging-Hummingbird/dp/B003XL7WZO/ref=pd_sim_lg_5/178-5729980-5109751?ie=UTF8&refRID=06AN600K499V4XZFNT5M

Deberg_1990
07-25-2014, 04:37 PM
After almost thirty days of retirement, I just had to share this with my fellow planeteers.

Been a little to busy for the interwebs, but sometimes you just have to take a time out.

Around 6:00 this morning, there were four hummingbirds working over the feeders, then the dominant one let her slide. You had to be focused on it, as it is a quick and minimal event.

You need to un-retire if this has been the highlight of your month.

HemiEd
07-25-2014, 05:02 PM
You need to un-retire if this has been the highlight of your month.

It is only the highlight that I felt compelled to share with the likes of you. :p
Don't minimalize the importance of hummingbird observation.

It has been crazy hectic up until these last few days, but the nap was the beginning of a wonderful future.

HemiEd
07-25-2014, 05:05 PM
No, that doesn't qualify. Four parts water to one part sugar. I do 2 cups of filtered water and 1/2 cup of white sugar into a Pyrex cup, and stir until dissolved. Then, nuke it until boiling. Let it cool, obviously, before filling the feeder.

Here's the feeder I have:

http://www.amazon.com/Aspects-HummZinger-HighView-Hanging-Hummingbird/dp/B003XL7WZO/ref=pd_sim_lg_5/178-5729980-5109751?ie=UTF8&refRID=06AN600K499V4XZFNT5M

As I suspected, it may be another 30 days before I get that ambitious on the nectar. I just ordered a pair of those feeders, they look great. Thanks!

stonedstooge
07-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Speaking of birds, I had a male cardinal on my back deck a couple of weeks ago so I started whistling like a cardinal does. He started banging into my sliding doors and will come up on the deck every time I whistle. I think he didn't find a mate this spring, and thinks I am a female chirping at him. Guess who comes and flys into the window every morning now at 5:45 and just chirps up a storm like he's waking his mate up? A couple of days ago, he was even bringing mulberrys up on the deck to, I guess, feed me. Poor little fella never got himself a female

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-25-2014, 05:50 PM

I do

Pepe Silvia
07-25-2014, 06:06 PM
After almost thirty days of retirement

Ugh, can't wait til that day.

SAUTO
07-25-2014, 06:08 PM
It is only the highlight that I felt compelled to share with the likes of you. :p
Don't minimalize the importance of hummingbird observation.

It has been crazy hectic up until these last few days, but the nap was the beginning of a wonderful future.

I understand the importance of hummingbird observation.
Posted via Mobile Device

SAUTO
07-25-2014, 06:10 PM
Speaking of birds, I had a male cardinal on my back deck a couple of weeks ago so I started whistling like a cardinal does. He started banging into my sliding doors and will come up on the deck every time I whistle. I think he didn't find a mate this spring, and thinks I am a female chirping at him. Guess who comes and flys into the window every morning now at 5:45 and just chirps up a storm like he's waking his mate up? A couple of days ago, he was even bringing mulberrys up on the deck to, I guess, feed me. Poor little fella never got himself a female

I hope you plan on putting out. Otherwise it's very uncool to tease that little guy.
Posted via Mobile Device

Fish
07-25-2014, 06:13 PM
Cardinal rape is no joke.

TLO
07-25-2014, 08:38 PM
:skip:

Easy 6
07-25-2014, 11:05 PM
They are cool as heck.

Absolutely, seeing one up close in action is pretty impressive.

Such fragile looking little things though, I'm amazed they survive the winters around here.