PDA

View Full Version : Misc I don't want to panic anyone, but Ebola may be coming to a town near you

Pages : [1] 2 3

Cave Johnson
07-28-2014, 11:12 AM
At least we won't have to slog through another 7-9 Chiefs season....

Now there are American casualties.

Not in Gaza, and not on the ill-fated Malaysian airliner. Now there are American casualties in another war very far away so maybe, goddammit, somebody should start paying more attention to it.

Kent Brantly, 33, an American doctor who has been working in Liberia since October for the North Carolina-based aid organization Samaritan's Purse, is receiving intensive medical treatment after he was infected with Ebola, according to a spokeswoman for the group. Melissa Strickland said Brantly, who is married and has two children, was talking with his doctors and working on his computer while being treated. A second U.S. citizen, Nancy Writebol, also has tested positive for Ebola, Samaritan's Purse said. Writebol is employed by mission group SIM in Liberia and was helping a joint SIM/Samaritan's Purse team treating Ebola patients in Monrovia. Writebol is married with two children, the organization said. "Both of them tonight are in stable condition," Ken Isaacs, Samaritan Purse's vice president of programs and government relations, said Sunday. "But they are not out of the woods yet."

That's some serious Damien-at-Molokai hero stuff right there, still being at your computer while you're being treated for one of the most vicious diseases on the planet. Other medical professionals, alas, are not as lucky.

A Liberian government official said Sunday that one of that country's highest-profile doctors has died in what the World Health Organization (WHO) calls the largest recorded outbreak of the disease...The first Liberian doctor to die of the disease was identified as Samuel Brisbane. He was working as a consultant with the internal medicine unit at the country's largest hospital, the John F. Kennedy Memorial Medical Center in Monrovia. Brisbane, who once was a medical adviser to former Liberian President Charles Taylor, was taken to a treatment center on the outskirts of the capital after falling ill with Ebola and died there, said Tolbert Nyenswah, an assistant health minister. He said another doctor who had been working in Liberia's central Bong County also was being treated for Ebola at the same center where Brisbane died. <b>The situation "is getting more and more scary," Nyenswah said.

Yes, you could say that. The disease is now in both Nigeria and Liberia, and not in the backwater places any more, either, but in the capital cities. The ones with millions of people. And airports.</b>

Over the weekend, health officials in Nigeria raced to stop the spread of Ebola after a man sick with the disease arrived on a flight in Lagos, Africa's largest city with 21 million people. He later died. The man's ability to board an international flight raised new fears that other passengers could carry the disease beyond Africa because of weak passenger inspection and the fact that Ebola's initial symptoms can resemble those of other illnesses. Isaacs said in an interview that "where it gets really scary" is that the disease, which was previously seen only "in very remote, small villages in Africa" is now being contracted by people in the capital cities of Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone. "Now the disease has been introduced into the big urban areas with millions of people," he said. "In the big cities, people can get on an airplane and fly out." Isaacs does not believe this outbreak his peaked. "I think the worst is yet to come," he said. "I hope I'm wrong."

Meanwhile, the local customs aren't helping a lot, either.

Koroma, 32, a resident of the densely populated Wellington district, had been admitted to an isolation ward while blood samples were tested for the virus, said Sidi Yahya Tunis, a health ministry spokesman. The results came back on Thursday. "The family of the patient stormed the hospital and forcefully removed her and took her away," Tunis said. "We are searching for her."

Jesus save us. I don't mean to sound like a cultural imperialist -- although I seriously doubt that the people in rural Sierra Leone are acting out of what they know about the Tuskegee experiments, or what happened in Guatemala in the 1940's -- but snatching an Ebola patient out of the hospital doesn't sound like a very good way to fight the disease, family networks notwithstanding. (The purloined patient eventually died.) This thing is one airplane flight away from being an international catastrophe, but there is no boom-boom, and without boom-boom, there is no news. However, you know, Americans are getting sick now. Hey, Wolf! Over here?

http://www.esquire.com/blogs/politics/The_Ebola_Outbreak

Canofbier
07-28-2014, 11:16 AM
"Ebola ain't nothing to fuck with."

-Method Man, WHO Official

Halfcan
07-28-2014, 11:17 AM
One more thing that can get you.

Donger
07-28-2014, 11:19 AM
Ban Liberians.

Cave Johnson
07-28-2014, 11:22 AM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1_WOR22-SnY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Discuss Thrower
07-28-2014, 11:23 AM
We must make it a point that all incoming and outgoing persons should be quarantined for at least 48 hours before being allowed to travel further.

Cave Johnson
07-28-2014, 11:25 AM
We must make it a point that all incoming and outgoing persons should be quarantined for at least 48 hours before being allowed to travel further.

From Nigeria and Liberia? Absolutely.

Eleazar
07-28-2014, 11:25 AM

You can be infected by Ebola and have no symptoms for 2 weeks or more.

Cave Johnson
07-28-2014, 11:26 AM

Well, that's going to make it harder to contain.

Discuss Thrower
07-28-2014, 11:27 AM
From Nigeria and Liberia? Absolutely.

No. Every country.

The fact that there are still rich Islamist assholes out there, an increasingly evil Russia and the massive amount of yuppie idiot parents whom aren't vaccinating children anymore the USA must take active steps to insulate the country from pandemics.

Eleazar

Unless there are travel bans put in place, I don't see how it will be contained.

Discuss Thrower

Surely there are blood tests to see if someone is a carrier.

Cave Johnson
07-28-2014, 11:30 AM
Unless there are travel bans put in place, I don't see how it will be contained.

If Ebola makes it out of Africa, instant worldwide Great Depression. Fucking deadly viruses.

Donger
07-28-2014, 11:31 AM
Surely there are blood tests to see if someone is a carrier.

There are enough pricks at the airport already. I don't want another one.

Discuss Thrower
07-28-2014, 11:32 AM
There are enough pricks at the airport already. I don't want another one.

Then don't leave the country.

ThaVirus
07-28-2014, 11:33 AM
I've been saying we could use a good plague to thin the herd, but this is actually pretty scary.

Cave Johnson
07-28-2014, 11:34 AM
I've been saying we could use a good plague to thin the herd, but this is actually pretty scary.

How do we know you're not Ebola??

PackerinMo
07-28-2014, 11:38 AM
We're gonna get the Super AIDS.

Quick everyone to Nzoners cornfield.

rambleonthruthefog
07-28-2014, 11:44 AM
Overpopulation is imminent. The culling of human population, most likely through a plague like virus, is inevitable.

Amnorix
07-28-2014, 11:47 AM

Yes, but it's not infectious unless you're showing symptoms. Unfortunately, the symptoms are basically flu-like or whatever, so it's not like "HEY, CRAP, EBOLA!!" But I'm fairly confident it would be contained relatively quickly in a western country where they don't distrust doctors, insist on burying their dead (and/or digging up their graves to give ebola victims "proper" burials) and other stupidities that help ebola thrive.

Fish
07-28-2014, 11:48 AM
New Study Suggests The World Is On The Brink Of The Next Great Extinction (http://www.iflscience.com/environment/new-study-suggests-world-brink-next-great-extinction)

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/dear-lord-please-let-there-be-a-zombie-apocalyse.jpg

Rausch
07-28-2014, 11:59 AM
We're gonna get the Super AIDS.

Quick everyone to Nzoners cornfield.

LMAO

ThaVirus
07-28-2014, 12:00 PM
New Study Suggests The World Is On The Brink Of The Next Great Extinction (http://www.iflscience.com/environment/new-study-suggests-world-brink-next-great-extinction)

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/dear-lord-please-let-there-be-a-zombie-apocalyse.jpg

Walking Dead style zombies, please.

No 28 Days or World War Z types.

Big Smoke
07-28-2014, 12:02 PM
Kill it with bleach and fire. Sorry Africa.

BlackHelicopters
07-28-2014, 12:10 PM
Scary shit.

Kiimosabi
07-28-2014, 12:11 PM
Overpopulation is imminent. The culling of human population, most likely through a plague like virus, is inevitable.

This is always a real fun game to play unless of course one of your family members helps cull the population then it doesn't seem as fun an arrogant myopic pragmatist thing to whip out at parties.

The PMII Hypothesis
07-28-2014, 12:39 PM
Where the heck is Rainman at to chime in and give us all perspective and direction? eidntwnt2di

KC native
07-28-2014, 12:42 PM
This is always a real fun game to play unless of course one of your family members helps cull the population then it doesn't seem as fun an arrogant myopic pragmatist thing to whip out at parties.

It's fun as long as it's for the greater good.

BWillie
07-28-2014, 12:42 PM
Honest to god, something needs to be done at these airports. I don't care how they have to do it, even if it means a temporarily hold on people flying out of the affected areas. The world cannot risk this thing being unleashed on the rest of the world and densely populated areas. There is whispers that Ebola is already airborne in some cases. If it mutates into a virus that is as easily caught as the common cold, it will be devastating if it gets out of Africa.

Rain Man
07-28-2014, 12:52 PM
Where the heck is Rainman at to chime in and give us all perspective and direction? eidntwnt2di

I'm busy building up my food and water stockpile for the inevitable in-home quarantine.

Mr. Laz
07-28-2014, 01:01 PM
It's fun as long as it's for the greater good.

ok, then let's start with everyone you know and love. Not you, you get to wait until after you watch your entire family die a horrible death.

just for fun and the greater good

Mr. Laz
07-28-2014, 01:02 PM
Honest to god, something needs to be done at these airports. I don't care how they have to do it, even if it means a temporarily hold on people flying out of the affected areas. The world cannot risk this thing being unleashed on the rest of the world and densely populated areas. There is whispers that Ebola is already airborne in some cases. If it mutates into a virus that is as easily caught as the common cold, it will be devastating if it gets out of Africa.

can dogs smell the virus?

maybe a sniff test for every overseas flight?

KC native
07-28-2014, 01:03 PM
ok, then let's start with everyone you know and love. Not you, you get to wait until after you watch your entire family die a horrible death.

just for fun and the greater good

My family has excellent immune systems. I'm pretty sure we'd be fine.

Everyone else is fucked though. It was nice to know you BTW.

Mr. Laz
07-28-2014, 01:04 PM

Everyone else is fucked though. It was nice to know you BTW.

Thanks ... bye

Discuss Thrower
07-28-2014, 01:04 PM

This a million times over.

Predarat
07-28-2014, 01:17 PM

Everyone else is ****ed though. It was nice to know you BTW.

You must me a member of the Schrute clan.

http://memecreator.eu/media/created/8pn102.jpg

tooge
07-28-2014, 01:21 PM
yep, it's just a matter of time. Too many plants in the garden, too many fish in the pond, whatever the case may be, if you overpopulate any ecosystem, if's just a matter of time until one organism infects two, two infect four, and before you know it, the population is wiped out, save a few lucky and genetically adapted organisms.

Mr. Laz
07-28-2014, 01:51 PM
yep, it's just a matter of time. Too many plants in the garden, too many fish in the pond, whatever the case may be, if you overpopulate any ecosystem, if's just a matter of time until one organism infects two, two infect four, and before you know it, the population is wiped out, save a few lucky and genetically adapted organisms.
birth control is EVIL!!!!!!!!!

displacedinMN
07-28-2014, 01:54 PM
Ebola victim was set to visit Minnesota

http://kstp.com/article/12303/?vid=5247046&v=1

GordonGekko
07-28-2014, 01:59 PM

If Ebola becomes airborne, that's game.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-28-2014, 02:05 PM
Geez people overreact.

Ebola's really not that bad if you catch it in time.

I've had it three times. You get it , you bleed a little , you get over it.

Just drink plenty of fluids. chicken noodle soup helps too.

BWillie
07-28-2014, 02:08 PM

I think anybody with peanut allergies and stuff that have to carry around an epinephrine needle should just give it up. Life was trying to weed them out long ago but modern medicine has helped them keep surviving. If a peanut kills you, should you even still be here?

Fish
07-28-2014, 02:09 PM
I think anybody with peanut allergies and stuff that have to carry around an epinephrine needle should just give it up. Life was trying to weed them out long ago but modern medicine has helped them keep surviving. If a peanut kills you, should you even still be here?

LMAO.......

Donger
07-28-2014, 02:13 PM

My wife has developed a penis allergy. Is there any modern medicinal cure?

Cave Johnson
07-28-2014, 02:13 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0O5h4enjrHw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Predarat
07-28-2014, 02:14 PM

I am going to print this out and put it on the windshield of this crazy lady at my parents church. And a snickers bar. She has a peanut allergy kid and she freaks out if anybody brings anything with peanuts into the church. Its not like they are trying to feed it to her kid. Get a fucking bubble, folks.

Cave Johnson
07-28-2014, 02:14 PM
Ebola victim was set to visit Minnesota

http://kstp.com/article/12303/?vid=5247046&v=1

Well that's no good.

Also, lol at Coon Rapids.

Cave Johnson
07-28-2014, 02:15 PM

Divorce.

Hog's Gone Fishin
07-28-2014, 02:17 PM
Here are five things you should know about this virulent and often deadly infection:

What is Ebola?

Ebola, officially known as Ebola hemorrhagic fever, is a severe disease caused by the Ebola virus that was first recognized in Africa in 1976.

Early symptoms can include fever, headache, joint and muscle aches, sore throat and weakness, followed by diarrhea, vomiting and stomach pain, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. In some cases, the disease causes rashes, red eyes, hiccups and internal and external bleeding, the CDC says.

Up to 90 percent of people who are infected with Ebola die from it, according to the National Institutes of Health.

Outbreaks have occurred in African countries, including the Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, Sudan, the Ivory Coast, Uganda and the Republic of the Congo, the CDC says.

How is it transmitted?

Humans are not the natural hosts of the Ebola virus, and it's believed that the first person in any outbreak became infected through contact with an infected animal, the CDC says. Animals that are reported to have spread disease to humans include chimpanzees, gorillas, forest antelopes and cynomolgus monkeys, according to the World Health Organization. Once one person has become infected, the disease can spread from person to person through contact with the blood, saliva, mucus or other secretions. In the countries where Ebola has occurred, the disease is frequently spread in health care settings to workers who have had contact with patients and do not wear protective clothing or masks, the CDC says. Re-use of contaminated needles can also spread the disease.

Researchers still do not know where Ebola naturally resides. Studies have shown bats can be infected with the virus and survive without symptoms of disease, according to the WHO. Some have speculated bats play a role in maintaining the virus in nature, the WHO says.

Has there ever been an outbreak in the United States?

Ebola has not caused disease in the United States. In 1990, several researchers in Virginia and Texas became infected with a type of Ebola virus from contact with imported monkeys, the CDC says. However, the type of Ebola in these cases, now called Ebola-Reston, did not cause symptoms in humans, although it was fatal in monkeys.

Is there a cure?

No. Patients with Ebola are treated with supportive therapy, which includes balancing their fluids, maintaining their oxygen levels and blood pressure, and treating them for any complicating infections, the CDC says.

Eleazar
07-28-2014, 02:49 PM
Divorce.

That seems to cause at least short term obsession with them.

Bwana
07-28-2014, 03:06 PM

The UPS man? :shrug:

Fairplay
07-28-2014, 03:08 PM
It will open up more jobs and get people working.

Rain Man
07-28-2014, 03:12 PM

There is, but it involves a very large injection from a specialist in the field.

Rain Man
07-28-2014, 03:14 PM
It will open up more jobs and get people working.

As an aside, I read that people became notably taller during the Black Plague. There were enough fewer people that everyone was able to eat more meat, and it actually manifested itself over a couple of generations in greater height. Then the population recovered and everyone got smaller again.

TribalElder
07-31-2014, 09:11 PM
They are bringing a US patient infected with Ebola back to Atlanta for treatment

The stupidest shit I could imagine has now happened :suicide:

New World Order
07-31-2014, 09:23 PM
If Ebola becomes airborne, that's game.

It's not an airborne virus, thank god.

What are they going to do with the doctor that was infected? There isn't a cure is there? Is the guy just going to lay in a hospital bed, isolated from others until he dies?

Bowser
07-31-2014, 09:33 PM
I thought this was about the guy that posts here. I feel better now.

Ebolapox
07-31-2014, 09:47 PM
How do we know you're not Ebola??

....... yeah........

Ebolapox
07-31-2014, 09:51 PM
I thought this was about the guy that posts here. I feel better now.

I'm good, man. Find out the sex of my first baby tomorrow :)

Bowser
07-31-2014, 09:53 PM
I'm good, man. Find out the sex of my first baby tomorrow :)

(figured that would scare you our into the open :D. Awesome news, btw. Prepare to have your world permanently rocked, in a good way)

Discuss Thrower
07-31-2014, 10:19 PM
It's not an airborne virus, thank god.

What are they going to do with the doctor that was infected? There isn't a cure is there? Is the guy just going to lay in a hospital bed, isolated from others until he dies?

It can go airborne.

cosmo20002
07-31-2014, 10:46 PM

For many allergies they inject you with a little of the thing to which you are allergic, to build up immunity. So, there you go.
Exposing her to a variety will probably build up the immunity faster.

ThaVirus
07-31-2014, 11:11 PM
Let KCNative get a crack her then. Let her get her sea legs about her..

Mr. Laz
08-02-2014, 08:08 AM
They are bringing a US patient infected with Ebola back to Atlanta for treatment

The stupidest shit I could imagine has now happened :suicide:

They are bringing 2 patients with Ebola back to the U.S.

:banghead:

stupid,stupid,stupid

cmh6476
08-02-2014, 08:35 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>UPDATE: Plane Carrying American Ebola Patient en Route to USA... <a href="http://t.co/S8CQFdqLVx">http://t.co/S8CQFdqLVx</a></p>&mdash; DRUDGE REPORT (@DRUDGE_REPORT) <a href="https://twitter.com/DRUDGE_REPORT/statuses/495573979701080064">August 2, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Halfcan
08-02-2014, 09:57 AM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>UPDATE: Plane Carrying American Ebola Patient en Route to USA... <a href="http://t.co/S8CQFdqLVx">http://t.co/S8CQFdqLVx</a></p>&mdash; DRUDGE REPORT (@DRUDGE_REPORT) <a href="https://twitter.com/DRUDGE_REPORT/statuses/495573979701080064">August 2, 2014</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This is how a lot of the "end of the world" type movies start. Next thing you know-Apes are in control.

Mr. Laz
08-02-2014, 10:04 AM
This is how a lot of the "end of the world" type movies start. Next thing you know-Apes are in control.

Yep, i don't give a shit how many safety precautions they are taking. The risks are too great, you don't bring Ebola INTO the country.

If doctors and scientist want to study and treat the patients then send them do it in some remote medical facility in a country we don't care about.

Pakistan would be a wonderful place to treat a deadly disease.

WakkaWakka
08-02-2014, 10:54 AM
Pretty sure this is how The Walking Dead starts.

ThaVirus
08-02-2014, 11:01 AM
Just read that there have been 1300-ish reported cases and 700-ish deaths. That's a far cry from the 90% death rate I had been reading about. Plus, you have to take into account that those cases all originated in Africa with no where near our level of awareness about the disease or medical technology.

I may be off base here, but it doesn't sound like this will wipe out any large percentage of the population.

Halfcan
08-02-2014, 11:06 AM
Yep, i don't give a shit how many safety precautions they are taking. The risks are too great, you don't bring Ebola INTO the country.

If doctors and scientist was to study and treat the patients then send them do it in some remote medical facility in a country we don't care about.

Bronco's Training Camp-would be a wonderful place to treat a deadly disease.

fyp

dmahurin
08-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Just read that there have been 1300-ish reported cases and 700-ish deaths. That's a far cry from the 90% death rate I had been reading about. Plus, you have to take into account that those cases all originated in Africa with no where near our level of awareness about the disease or medical technology.

I may be off base here, but it doesn't sound like this will wipe out any large percentage of the population.

I'm far from an expert but from what I was reading about it apparently there are apparently several different strains. The way I understood it was this one had a little lower mortality rate but made up for it in its ability to infect. It traded strength for spreadability.

LiveSteam
08-02-2014, 11:44 AM
Who ok-ed this? Thats what I want to know

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
08-02-2014, 11:53 AM

1300 cases doesn't seem like a lot. Ebola is done for.

Rausch
08-02-2014, 11:55 AM

I can't wait.

They're easier to deal with than politicians...

ThaVirus
08-02-2014, 12:11 PM
I'm far from an expert but from what I was reading about it apparently there are apparently several different strains. The way I understood it was this one had a little lower mortality rate but made up for it in its ability to infect. It traded strength for spreadability.

You're right. They said there was at least one strain that humans can catch but don't seem to be harmed by. I think they said some researchers contracted that strain from some rhesus monkeys or something.

Maybe the report I read included all cases of Ebola, not just the one that is most fatal.

Miles
08-02-2014, 12:28 PM
How is it transmitted?

Humans are not the natural hosts of the Ebola virus, and it's believed that the first person in any outbreak became infected through contact with an infected animal, the CDC says. Animals that are reported to have spread disease to humans include chimpanzees, gorillas, forest antelopes and cynomolgus monkeys, according to the World Health Organization. Once one person has become infected, the disease can spread from person to person through contact with the blood, saliva, mucus or other secretions. In the countries where Ebola has occurred, the disease is frequently spread in health care settings to workers who have had contact with patients and do not wear protective clothing or masks, the CDC says. Re-use of contaminated needles can also spread the disease.

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AZ0UpT7Xk4A" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

KC Tattoo
08-02-2014, 12:44 PM
I've seen this movie before

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AgZ5goJibn0?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

dmahurin
08-02-2014, 12:51 PM
You're right. They said there was at least one strain that humans can catch but don't seem to be harmed by. I think they said some researchers contracted that strain from some rhesus monkeys or something.

Maybe the report I read included all cases of Ebola, not just the one that is most fatal.

If I recall right, depending on the strain it's any where from a 25% to 90% mortality rate. Which is scary considering the Spanish influenza in the teens had a 2% mortality rate.

seamonster
08-02-2014, 02:25 PM

If doctors and scientist was to study and treat the patients then send them do it in some remote medical facility in a country we don't care about.

Pakistan would be a wonderful place to treat a deadly disease.

I'm not scared by ebola as much as how people in the midwest are so ****ing stupid and ignorant to modern medicine. The sheer breadth of paranoia and ignorance that exists in the US in redneck infested areas is ****ing astounding. A third world developing monkey virus that spreads when people wipe their ass with their hand isn't going to infect your grandmother, genius.

Mr. Laz
08-02-2014, 02:29 PM
I'm not scared by ebola as much as how people in the midwest are so ****ing stupid and ignorant to modern medicine. The sheer breadth of paranoia and ignorance that exists in the US in redneck infested areas is ****ing astounding. A third world developing monkey virus that spreads when people wipe their ass with their hand isn't going to infect your grandmother, genius.
I hit a nerve, must be from pakistan

Oh and GFY

seamonster
08-02-2014, 02:35 PM
I hit a nerve, must be from pakistan

Oh and GFY

Eastern Seaboard.

BeeHo
08-02-2014, 02:39 PM
don't worry.

Cuban, Hoffman and Spacey are on the job.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vPfx66g3T4s/UHjdogSrXPI/AAAAAAAAHwY/Gzirewafm8M/s320/Outbreak+2.jpg

BWillie
08-02-2014, 02:42 PM

Yeah cuz a disease even with a 60% mortality rate that kills you in less than a week, causing you to bleed out of your eyes is no big deal. A disease mind you that has shown a propensity to maybe become an airborne virus at some point of time, with many different strands.

BWillie
08-02-2014, 02:43 PM

Your bigotry is strong my friend.

BWillie
08-02-2014, 02:43 PM
Eastern Seaboard.

Of course you are. Of course.

KCrockaholic
08-02-2014, 02:44 PM

I usually go to Chiefsplanet and vent when I'm angry.

Chief Roundup
08-02-2014, 03:08 PM
don't worry.

Cuban, Hoffman and Spacey are on the job.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-vPfx66g3T4s/UHjdogSrXPI/AAAAAAAAHwY/Gzirewafm8M/s320/Outbreak+2.jpg

Think you mean Gooding Jr. His first name is Cuba. He is not Cuban either.

ptlyon
08-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Eastern Seaboard.

Explains why you're a douche

ThaVirus
08-02-2014, 05:25 PM
Yeah cuz a disease even with a 60% mortality rate that kills you in less than a week, causing you to bleed out of your eyes is no big deal. A disease mind you that has shown a propensity to maybe become an airborne virus at some point of time, with many different strands.

It doesn't kill you in less than a week. A lot of people carry the virus for weeks before they even start to show symptoms, most of which mirror those of common illnesses like the flu, malaria and shit.

But what I was trying to say is that I was hearing that it kills 90% of people in what amounts to back water 3rd world countries. Now I'm finding that it's closer to 50%.

Combine our superior medical technology with our knowledge of a possible pandemic and it's very unlikely that this disease would wipe out any sizable portion of the population.

ThaVirus
08-02-2014, 05:27 PM
... And how does a virus "show a propensity to maybe go airborne"?

Rain Man
08-02-2014, 05:36 PM
It doesn't kill you in less than a week. A lot of people carry the virus for weeks before they even start to show symptoms, most of which mirror those of common illnesses like the flu, malaria and shit.

But what I was trying to say is that I was hearing that it kills 90% of people in what amounts to back water 3rd world countries. Now I'm finding that it's closer to 50%.

Combine our superior medical technology with our knowledge of a possible pandemic and it's very unlikely that this disease would wipe out any sizable portion of the population.

Okay. You go first.

go bo
08-02-2014, 05:37 PM
... And how does a virus "show a propensity to maybe go airborne"?

it depends on whether the viruses are male or female...

or whether they want to be rangers/green berets/delta force or not...

it helps if they are small so they don't hurt themselves when they hit the ground, jumping out of perfectly good airplane...

Rain Man
08-02-2014, 09:07 PM
it depends on whether the viruses are male or female...

or whether they want to be rangers/green berets/delta force or not...

it helps if they are small so they don't hurt themselves when they hit the ground, jumping out of perfectly good airplane...

I wanna be an airborne virus.

jjjayb
08-02-2014, 09:22 PM

So if it only turns out to be a 10% death rate here, we're cool then right? :spock:

ThaVirus
08-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Thin the herd.. Yep. I'm good with that.

ThaVirus
08-02-2014, 10:17 PM
Only if it's illegals and those damn dopers /HonestChiefFan

Gonzo
08-03-2014, 01:17 AM

That article was terrible man. Just a bunch of fear mongering bullshit.

Showtime
08-04-2014, 02:19 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sick man who recently traveled to W. Africa is being tested for Ebola at Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC, hospital says. <a href="http://t.co/fCCNWIUwBH">http://t.co/fCCNWIUwBH</a></p>&mdash; CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) <a href="https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/statuses/496389584025292801">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Eleazar
08-04-2014, 02:36 PM
Heard the same thing at work a short while ago, suspected Ebola case in New York City.

Travel restrictions. Now.

BWillie
08-04-2014, 05:46 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sick man who recently traveled to W. Africa is being tested for Ebola at Mount Sinai Hospital in NYC, hospital says. <a href="http://t.co/fCCNWIUwBH">http://t.co/fCCNWIUwBH</a></p>&mdash; CNN Breaking News (@cnnbrk) <a href="https://twitter.com/cnnbrk/statuses/496389584025292801">August 4, 2014</a></blockquote>

Im cancelling my god damned plane tickets to Miami in two weeks if this shit gets any worse. Or maybe I'll just wear gloves and one of those asian people masks.

saphojunkie
08-04-2014, 05:48 PM
Bwana - what do I need to bring to be allowed inside the perimeter?

thabear04
08-04-2014, 05:53 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1_WOR22-SnY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I just ate and don't know wanna see that video

KCrockaholic
08-04-2014, 05:56 PM
He looks like a damn crunch bar

ThaVirus
08-04-2014, 06:03 PM
Disregard everything I've said in this thread.. I'm scared.

http://media2.giphy.com/media/14ut8PhnIwzros/giphy.gif

Eleazar
08-04-2014, 06:10 PM

I want in too. I'll bring beer and a whole lot of 45 ACP

BeeHo
08-04-2014, 07:02 PM
Im cancelling my god damned plane tickets to Miami in two weeks if this shit gets any worse. Or maybe I'll just wear gloves and one of those asian people masks.

i think those are just masks. :D

cmh6476
08-04-2014, 07:03 PM
Who ok-ed this? Thats what I want to know

Obama. (I heard)

Bearcat
08-04-2014, 07:10 PM
http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r143/bearcat2002/Screenshotfrom2014-08-04200750_zps11d200f6.png

Mr. Laz
08-04-2014, 07:13 PM
Obama. (I heard)

Heard from Rush Limbaugh?

cmh6476
08-04-2014, 07:14 PM
Heard from Rush Limbaugh?

nah I don't listen to him. I just thought that was supposed to be the canned response.

BWillie
08-04-2014, 07:45 PM
i think those are just masks. :D

http://realtruth.org/images/pandemic_boy-apha-090505.jpg

Never seen anybody else just strolling around the airport in these things. Seems like a good idea now, actually.

Bwana
08-04-2014, 07:53 PM

I'll have to think about that one and get back to you. :hmmm:

tk13
08-04-2014, 07:58 PM

See, to me this is legitimately 1000 times more scary than some guy they took a zillion precautions for and have isolated in a hospital that is prepped for this stuff, with a world class staff. Everyone's freaking out over the other guy... when the real concern should probably be the people flying back who don't know they have it. At this rate, it's going to happen.

kepp
08-04-2014, 07:59 PM
http://realtruth.org/images/pandemic_boy-apha-090505.jpg

Never seen anybody else just strolling around the airport in these things. Seems like a good idea now, actually.
Lots of people had them when we flew to Thailand earlier this summer.
Posted via Mobile Device

kepp
08-04-2014, 08:04 PM
See, to me this is legitimately 1000 times more scary than some guy they took a zillion precautions for and have isolated in a hospital that is prepped for this stuff, with a world class staff. Everyone's freaking out over the other guy... when the real concern should probably be the people flying back who don't know they have it. At this rate, it's going to happen.

Between bringing the two infected Americans back, no travel restrictions, and Obamas African "summit" or whatever it is, it will find its way.
Posted via Mobile Device

KChiefsQT
08-05-2014, 01:23 AM
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2014/08/ebola_myths_social_media_spreading_panic_as_american_patients_reach_emory.html

Dayze
08-05-2014, 01:43 AM
I saw Ebola open for Megadeth in Fresno back in '97. they kicked ass.

TimBone
08-05-2014, 04:05 AM
I saw Ebola open for Megadeth in Fresno back in '97. they kicked ass.

Kicking ass and taking names.

You can read those names in your newspapers obituary section every mroning.

LoneWolf
08-05-2014, 04:12 AM

How will that help? Is it to make you look creepy enough nobody wants to be near you?

http://smoothtrader.com/asia2you/ItemPics/MasksAsian_lacquer_masks5833t.JPG

Eleazar
08-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Heard it's confirmed ebola

kepp
08-05-2014, 08:44 AM

The guy at Mount Sinai Hospital?

TimBone
08-05-2014, 09:06 AM

Link? I can't find anything saying that.

Donger
08-05-2014, 10:36 AM
Now a woman in Ohio who was recently in one of the hotspot countries is being tested for Ebola.

http://www.wkrn.com/story/26201803/46-year-old-woman-hospitalized-tested-for-possible-ebola

Eleazar
08-05-2014, 10:38 AM
Link? I can't find anything saying that.

Overheard that at work from someone who should know or receive some kind of notification. Can't vouch for the veracity of it.

Mr. Laz
08-05-2014, 10:43 AM
Africa should be on lockdown.

only medical personnel in/out of the country and when coming out there has to be a quarantine time to make sure they aren't sick.

Donger
08-05-2014, 10:46 AM
British Airways has suspended flights to Sierra Leone and Liberia.

petegz28
08-05-2014, 12:15 PM
I am so glad we let these people back into our country. I mean, nothing like spreading a disease that until a few weeks ago, wasn't within our borders.

Edit: Wait, I forgot...we don't have borders anymore.

Fish
08-05-2014, 12:30 PM
Good grief, people.....

Should I be worried?

Though many in the developed world are understandably fearful of the disease, many health officials claim that the only reason this particular outbreak has grown as large as it has is because of where it hit. The areas that have been hit the hardest lack sufficient health care systems and are unable to provide necessary treatment for the patients or personal protective equipment for health care workers. Unsanitary conditions would allow the outbreak to grow incredibly rapidly.

For those living in developed countries, such as the US, it is not likely that the virus will spread. CDC Director Thomas Frieden has said that there is not the potential for Ebola to spread throughout the US like it has in West Africa. The virus can only be transmitted when someone is sick, and all major ports of entry have received quarantine stations to find travelers who may be ill. However, the CDC has issued a Level 3 travel warning to Guinea, Liberia, and Sierra Leone to prevent exposure. Even if it did manage to get across the Atlantic, it requires very unsanitary conditions to spread. It's very unlikely that ebola will ever spread in a developed country.

Read more at http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/ten-things-you-really-should-know-about-ebola#hFzCreFk0qY9XPPo.99

Donger
08-05-2014, 12:31 PM
Good grief, people.....

Yes, it's good to live in the first world.

kepp
08-05-2014, 12:44 PM
Good grief, people.....

The CDC can't even prevent their own people from being exposed to the pathogens they work with, and they want us to believe they have this under control? It was a bad idea to, 1) bring the two infected Americans back here, and, 2) to not create travel restrictions soon after the outbreak started.

petegz28
08-05-2014, 12:46 PM
Good grief, people.....

The virus can only be transmitted when someone is sick

Yeah, no one gets sick in the U.S.....evah!

Fish
08-05-2014, 12:55 PM
The CDC can't even prevent their own people from being exposed to the pathogens they work with, and they want us to believe they have this under control? It was a bad idea to, 1) bring the two infected Americans back here, and, 2) to not create travel restrictions soon after the outbreak started.

That's not true. The CDC has never had any of its workers infected by Ebola that I know of. The two US citizens were humanitarian workers, not CDC employees. They accepted the risks when they went to Africa on humanitarian missions, where conditions actually allow Ebola to be transmitted.

They absolutely have it under control.

And it's not like we don't have the Ebola virus in the US. It's been safely studied at infectious disease centers in the US since its discovery.

DaFace
08-05-2014, 01:04 PM
That's not true. The CDC has never had any of its workers infected by Ebola that I know of. The two US citizens were humanitarian workers, not CDC employees. They accepted the risks when they went to Africa on humanitarian missions, where conditions actually allow Ebola to be transmitted.

And it's not like we don't have the Ebola virus in the US. It's been safely studied at infectious disease centers in the US since its discovery.
Americans are a bunch of sensationalist pussies.

kepp
08-05-2014, 01:05 PM

I'm talking about all the recent news about CDC staff being exposed to Anthrax, and the bird flu samples found in an unsecured storage closet, etc.

DaFace
08-05-2014, 01:07 PM
I'm talking about all the recent news about CDC staff being exposed to Anthrax, and the bird flu samples found in an unsecured storage closet, etc.

Those caused outbreaks, right?

Hog's Gone Fishin
08-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Like I said before, We have more than enough chicken Noodle soup to cover any ebola issues in the US.

Plus to contract it in the first place you literally have to have an infected person bust a nut all over your face.

kepp
08-05-2014, 01:08 PM
Those caused outbreaks, right?

So you're OK with them leaving those things laying around as long as there's only a small chance of an outbreak?

DaFace
08-05-2014, 01:12 PM
So you're OK with them leaving those things laying around as long as there's only a small chance of an outbreak?

There are safety controls in place to prevent outbreaks. A minor issue inside a controlled facility has nothing to do with the broader environment.

kepp
08-05-2014, 01:16 PM
There are safety controls in place to prevent outbreaks. A minor issue inside a controlled facility has nothing to do with the broader environment.

Those incidents happened because safety protocols were not followed. And the anthrax incident involved unsafe shipping of active samples between labs. It wasn't contained to one controlled facility.

thabear04
08-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Now there two people with Ebola

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/06/us/nancy-writebol-kent-brantly-ebola-atlanta.html?_r=0

Fish
08-05-2014, 01:26 PM

There are different protocols for the different biosafety levels involved. There are measures in place to ensure that mistakes at a lower BSL cannot happen at a higher BSL. Those protocols have worked for many decades.

TimBone
08-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Now there two people with Ebola

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/06/us/nancy-writebol-kent-brantly-ebola-atlanta.html?_r=0

Man, looking at the pic in the article, there is no way that lady could ever date Donald Sterling. He'd have a stroke if that was his gf in that picture.

Steron
08-05-2014, 01:45 PM
Nuke the site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/aCbfMkh940Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish
08-05-2014, 03:34 PM
Hope for the 2 Americans infected with Ebola. Perhaps this will help some understand why we didn't simply abandon these Americans and let them die because we were scared.

Bio-high-tech treatment for Ebola may have saved two US citizens (http://arstechnica.com/science/2014/08/bio-high-tech-treatment-for-ebola-may-have-saved-two-us-citizens/)

CNN reported Monday that the two US citizens who were flown back to the states after contracting the Ebola virus were given an extremely experimental treatment, one that's still undergoing animal testing. While the treatment involves antibodies, it's not a vaccine, and it can work effectively even after an infection has started. The process that produced it is a testament to the impressive capabilities developed in the field of biotechnology.

The Ebola virus, known for its horrific symptoms and high fatality rate, currently has no established treatment. The health care workers who are fighting the disease—and are thus at high risk for becoming infected themselves—can do little more than put themselves in isolation and try to compensate for the damage the virus causes. That situation was apparently the case for two Americans who contracted the virus while working in Liberia.

In this case, however, both people were apparently given an experimental treatment developed in part by a company called Mapp Biopharmaceutical.

[...]

Mapp has been pursing that testing, starting in mice and working its way up to primates. The company has also been shifting steadily later into the infection process. Its first tests showed that the treatment could be used prophylactically, given to monkeys prior to infection. In the researchers' most recent published work, from about a year ago, they used it on macaques that were already developing fevers as a result of the infection. Nearly half of the animals survived, while the infection was completely fatal in the control group.

Notably, that paper had members of the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases among its authors, suggesting that further development had a party with deep pockets willing to back the research through human trials. But it's not clear whether those trials had even started when, according to CNN, vials of the treatment were rushed to Liberia. And there's no way of telling how much, if at all, the antibodies helped the two people they were given to. We'll have to wait for larger clinical trials.

If the process described above—with infinite antibodies, cloning, mixing genes from different species, and mass production in plant cells—sounds like science fiction, it shouldn't. Every single one of those procedures is well established and has probably been used by a hundred biotech startups by now. Biotech doesn't tend to get the same attention as the work done by the people who make our processors and batteries, but it's some of the most amazing technology on the planet.

Mr. Laz
08-05-2014, 03:45 PM
Hope for the 2 Americans infected with Ebola. Perhaps this will help some understand why we didn't simply abandon these Americans and let them die because we were scared.
Yea, because not bringing them to the middle of the U.S. is the same as abandoning them.

Idiot.

DaFace
08-05-2014, 03:50 PM
Yea, because not bringing them to the middle of the U.S. is the same as abandoning them.

Idiot.

Yes. Yes it is.

If you think that the care they'd receive in the MIDDLE OF BUTTFUCK AFRICA is going to be anywhere near what they'll get here, I can't help you.

Donger
08-05-2014, 03:52 PM

Idiot.

Wow.

Fish
08-05-2014, 03:57 PM

Idiot.

If they took your advice, the patients would be dying in Africa right now instead of having hope of survival here at home in their own country. Instead, they might have found a way to save 2 American lives and produce a treatment for Ebola. Luckily there are some doctors out there who are more brave than some people here.

Donger
08-05-2014, 04:02 PM
If they took your advice, the patients would be dying in Africa right now instead of having hope of survival here at home in their own country. Instead, they might have found a way to save 2 American lives and produce a treatment for Ebola. Luckily there are some doctors out there who are more brave than some people here.

I thought that the two Americans were given the experimental serum while they were still in Africa, though.

Mr. Laz
08-05-2014, 04:19 PM
Yes. Yes it is.

If you think that the care they'd receive in the MIDDLE OF BUTTFUCK AFRICA is going to be anywhere near what they'll get here, I can't help you.
No, No it's not.

Didn't say they had to remain in the middle of Africa. But there had to be a better option than flying them to the middle of the U.S.

middle of Africa or the middle of America ... yep, the only 2 options. :rolleyes:

Take the doctors to them.

There has to be a more remote facility than gawd dam center of the U.S.

Even Hawaii would be better than the middle of America where an outbreak would be hard as hell to control. At least on Hawaii it's surrounded by water and semi contained. Had to be a more isolated option.

kepp
08-06-2014, 07:41 AM
No, No it's not.

Didn't say they had to remain in the middle of Africa. But there had to be a better option than flying them to the middle of the U.S.

middle of Africa or the middle of America ... yep, the only 2 options. :rolleyes:

Even Hawaii would be better than the middle of America where an outbreak would be hard as hell to control. At least on Hawaii it's surrounded by water and semi contained. Had to be a more isolated option.

But didn't you know that the experimental serum could not be transported? Heck, the only transport they could find on such short notice was a Gulfstream G3 that was equipped to the gills with high tech medical equipment. How could they possibly bring quality treatment to the two Americans in Africa? /sarcasm

Dave Lane
08-06-2014, 08:29 AM
No, No it's not.

Why the freak out? Ebola will be here shortly and we need doctors to get vaccines made. They need patients with the virus to achieve this or most that catch Ebola will die. Why is this hard to understand?

Lzen
08-06-2014, 11:37 AM
<script type="text/javascript" src="http://video.foxnews.com/v/embed.js?id=3715556240001&w=466&h=263"></script><noscript>Watch the latest video at <a href="http://video.foxnews.com">video.foxnews.com</a></noscript>

Rausch
08-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Disregard everything I've said in this thread.. I'm scared.

http://media2.giphy.com/media/14ut8PhnIwzros/giphy.gif

This.

There are TENS OF THOUSANDS of illegals with much more contagious diseases entering our country every day.

TB will have conquered the southwest before there are 5 ebola cases there...

Showtime
08-06-2014, 03:50 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sick patient at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City tests negative for the Ebola virus, CDC announces - <a href="https://twitter.com/CNBCnow">@CNBCnow</a> <a href="http://t.co/HJDQptnLQG">http://t.co/HJDQptnLQG</a></p>&mdash; Breaking News (@BreakingNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/statuses/497137291073445888">August 6, 2014</a></blockquote>

loochy
08-06-2014, 03:55 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sick patient at Mount Sinai Hospital in New York City tests negative for the Ebola virus, CDC announces - <a href="https://twitter.com/CNBCnow">@CNBCnow</a> <a href="http://t.co/HJDQptnLQG">http://t.co/HJDQptnLQG</a></p>&mdash; Breaking News (@BreakingNews) <a href="https://twitter.com/BreakingNews/statuses/497137291073445888">August 6, 2014</a></blockquote>

conspiracy to appease the public

Fish
08-22-2014, 09:11 AM
Well it turned out to be a good thing bringing those 2 Americans back to the states.

American Ebola Patients Have Been Released From Atlanta Hospital (http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/american-ebola-patients-have-been-released-atlanta-hospital)

This morning (Aug 21) there was a press conference outside of Emory University Hospital in Atlanta. Dr. Bruce Ribner, director of Emory’s Infectious Disease Unit, confirmed that the two Americans who had been receiving treatment for Ebola virus disease (EVD) had recovered from the illness. Dr. Kent Brantly (33) was discharged today and Nancy Writebol (59) was quietly released on Tuesday.

“After a rigorous and successful course of treatment and testing, the Emory Healthcare team has determined that both patients have recovered from the Ebola virus and can return to their families and community without concern for spreading this infection to others,” Ribner stated.

The pair had fallen ill while in Liberia while performing missionary work. While still in Africa, they both received an experimental serum called ZMapp that was made with antibodies derived from mice. Additionally, Brantly had received a transfusion of blood from a teenager who had treated for EVD earlier that summer, in an effort to pass along some antibodies.

Brantly and Writebol were transferred to Atlanta on August 2 and 5, respectively. They were treated in specialized isolation units where they received top notch care and were the subject of a great deal of research, so scientists can learn more about the effects of EVD in hopes of developing a better course of treatment.

Though the pair spurred dozens of headlines after receiving the experimental ZMapp, it has not been made clear if the drug had any effect on the recovery at all.

"Frankly, we do not know whether it helped them, whether it made no difference or whether it theoretically delayed their recovery,” Ribner said about the drug. Around 45% of people who have been sick in this outbreak have survived without the use of experimental medications and without being treated in a cutting-edge isolation facility like Emory. For those who are otherwise healthy enough, managing symptoms and maintaining hydration is enough to let the body fight the virus on its own.

The staff at Emory University Hospital as well as officials from the CDC would like to reiterate that these two do not pose a risk in transmitting EVD. Isolation protocols were strictly adhered to and extensive testing of blood and urine have revealed they are cleared of the infection.

Writebol did not attend this morning’s event. Instead, her husband had passed along a written statement that said though she was no longer infected with Ebola, she is still weak from the extended illness. She will continue to rest and recover privately with her family. Brantly addressed the crowd outside of the hospital during the press conference. He stated that he and his family would be going away to an undisclosed location for the next month so he could also rest and reconnect with his family, and he would not be speaking publicly about his illness until after that time. He also urged the public not to forget about those still fighting the outbreak in West Africa.

As of today, there have been 2473 suspected or confirmed cases of Ebola across Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone. A total of 1350 of those patients have died.

BucEyedPea
08-22-2014, 09:13 AM
That is 'effed up.

DaFace
08-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Well it turned out to be a good thing bringing those 2 Americans back to the states.

American Ebola Patients Have Been Released From Atlanta Hospital (http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/american-ebola-patients-have-been-released-atlanta-hospital)

This morning (Aug 21) there was a press conference outside of Emory University Hospital in Atlanta. Dr. Bruce Ribner, director of Emory’s Infectious Disease Unit, confirmed that the two Americans who had been receiving treatment for Ebola virus disease (EVD) had recovered from the illness. Dr. Kent Brantly (33) was discharged today and Nancy Writebol (59) was quietly released on Tuesday.

“After a rigorous and successful course of treatment and testing, the Emory Healthcare team has determined that both patients have recovered from the Ebola virus and can return to their families and community without concern for spreading this infection to others,” Ribner stated.

The pair had fallen ill while in Liberia while performing missionary work. While still in Africa, they both received an experimental serum called ZMapp that was made with antibodies derived from mice. Additionally, Brantly had received a transfusion of blood from a teenager who had treated for EVD earlier that summer, in an effort to pass along some antibodies.

Brantly and Writebol were transferred to Atlanta on August 2 and 5, respectively. They were treated in specialized isolation units where they received top notch care and were the subject of a great deal of research, so scientists can learn more about the effects of EVD in hopes of developing a better course of treatment.

Though the pair spurred dozens of headlines after receiving the experimental ZMapp, it has not been made clear if the drug had any effect on the recovery at all.

"Frankly, we do not know whether it helped them, whether it made no difference or whether it theoretically delayed their recovery,” Ribner said about the drug. Around 45% of people who have been sick in this outbreak have survived without the use of experimental medications and without being treated in a cutting-edge isolation facility like Emory. For those who are otherwise healthy enough, managing symptoms and maintaining hydration is enough to let the body fight the virus on its own.

The staff at Emory University Hospital as well as officials from the CDC would like to reiterate that these two do not pose a risk in transmitting EVD. Isolation protocols were strictly adhered to and extensive testing of blood and urine have revealed they are cleared of the infection.

Writebol did not attend this morning’s event. Instead, her husband had passed along a written statement that said though she was no longer infected with Ebola, she is still weak from the extended illness. She will continue to rest and recover privately with her family. Brantly addressed the crowd outside of the hospital during the press conference. He stated that he and his family would be going away to an undisclosed location for the next month so he could also rest and reconnect with his family, and he would not be speaking publicly about his illness until after that time. He also urged the public not to forget about those still fighting the outbreak in West Africa.

As of today, there have been 2473 suspected or confirmed cases of Ebola across Guinea, Liberia, Nigeria, and Sierra Leone. A total of 1350 of those patients have died.

KILL THEM!!!

Fish
08-22-2014, 09:26 AM
KILL THEM!!!

They're back in the states. Give Obama's death panels some time to work through the formalities.......

L.A. Chieffan
08-22-2014, 10:24 AM
Are we all dead yet?

Mr. Laz
08-22-2014, 10:50 AM
KILL THEM!!!

don't be stupid

nobody ever said that we shouldn't help them

just that it would be better to help somewhere other than the middle of the continental united states

what part of that is so fucking difficult to understand?

loochy
08-22-2014, 10:58 AM
Ebola in town! Don't touch your friend!

Fish
08-22-2014, 11:12 AM
don't be stupid

just that it would be better to help somewhere other than the middle of the continental united states

what part of that is so fucking difficult to understand?

It was never hard to understand. It was simply the fact that there was never any danger and people were assured by medical personnel that there wasn't any danger. Yet some people couldn't understand or accept that no matter what, and just proceeded to irrationally lose their shit out of fear. I have little doubt that some idiots absolutely felt that we shouldn't help them.

Plus Atlanta isn't exactly the middle of the continental US.....

dlphg9
08-22-2014, 11:16 AM
don't be stupid

what part of that is so ****ing difficult to understand?

What part of Ebola is hard to catch dont you understand?

htismaqe
08-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Plus Atlanta isn't exactly the middle of the continental US.....

To be fair, it's one of the busiest airports in the country.

Mr. Laz
08-22-2014, 11:22 AM
. It was simply the fact that there was never any danger not true

low isn't the same as no danger

considering the potential disaster if something did go wrong, i just didn't think we should take the risk

Plane crash,nature disaster ... anything at all and we could have an outbreak just like they do in Africa

Total arrogance that the doctors think they could control every possibility

glad it seems like nothing went wrong, although we won't know for sure for awhile

Mr. Laz
08-22-2014, 11:26 AM
What part of Ebola is hard to catch dont you understand?I don't give a single fucking shit how difficult it is to catch

You don't invite a potential medical disaster into the country if you don't have to

doctors cared more about getting to play with their disease than they did the thousands of lives they put at risk

Donger
08-22-2014, 11:26 AM
Plane crash,nature disaster ... anything at all and we could have an outbreak just like they do in Africa

I'd say that's just a tad of an exaggeration, since we have slightly superior medical care and facilities here.

Fish
08-22-2014, 11:42 AM
not true

low isn't the same as no danger

considering the potential disaster if something did go wrong, i just didn't think we should take the risk

Total arrogance that the doctors think they could control every possibility

glad it seems like nothing went wrong, although we won't know for sure for awhile

The entire point is that there was never any potential for disaster. You're still going on about some risk, but there was never any risk to begin with. That's what you're not understanding. It's not that the got away with something risky, it's that the risk was never there. There was no way this could have turned into an outbreak epidemic like it Africa simply because our country is not Africa. Even a plane crash or natural disaster would not have resulted in an outbreak. That's what the medical professionals tried to explain.

Mr. Laz
09-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Another American Doctor in Liberia Tests Positive for Ebola
BY COLIN DAILEDA & AMANDA WILLS
5 minutes ago

An American doctor working as a missionary in Liberia has tested positive for Ebola, says SIM (Serving In Mission), a Christian ministry organization based in North Carolina.

The doctor, who remains unidentified, was treating obstetrics patients at SIM’s ELWA hospital in Monrovia, but was not working directly with Ebola patients. According to SIM, it's unknown how he contracted the virus.

SEE ALSO: What Life Is Like in a Country Haunted by Ebola

Ebola has killed more than 1,500 people in Sierra Leone, Guinea, Liberia and Nigeria and has now appeared in a fifth West African country, Senegal, in the worst outbreak ever recorded.

This is a developing story. We will continue to update as more information becomes available.

Mr. Laz
09-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Missionary infected with Ebola while working in Liberia to get treatment at Nebraska hospital

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
September 04, 2014 - 4:55 pm EDT

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina — A North Carolina-based charity says the missionary who was infected with Ebola while serving in Liberia is being flown to a Nebraska hospital for treatment.

A statement from SIM on Thursday says Dr. Rick Sacra is being flown to The Nebraska Medical Center in Omaha. He is expected to arrive on Friday and begin treatment in the hospital's Biocontainment Patient Care Unit.

SIM president Bruce Johnson says Sacra was receiving excellent care from staff at a care center in Liberia, but he says the Nebraska facility provides advanced monitoring equipment and a wider availability of treatment options.

Sacra, a doctor from the Boston area, opted to head to Liberia after hearing that two other missionaries were sick. He was infected by the virus that has killed about 1,900 people.

L.A. Chieffan
09-04-2014, 03:42 PM
Are we all dead yet?

Cave Johnson
09-30-2014, 03:57 PM
And it's Dallas. Step right up Dallas and claim your prize.

lcarus
09-30-2014, 03:59 PM

Damn it. I'm 4 hours away from Dallas.

BWillie
09-30-2014, 04:02 PM
Still don't quite understand how people are able to freely fly back and forth from Liberia to the United States...but whatever, who cares if we introduce Ebola to the US...

Showtime
09-30-2014, 04:03 PM

Sounds like he was just in the U.S to visit.

thecoffeeguy
09-30-2014, 04:31 PM
Sounds like he was just in the U.S to visit.

send him back....

loochy
09-30-2014, 04:51 PM

Damn it. I'm 30 minutes away from Dallas

Cave Johnson
09-30-2014, 05:01 PM

Ebola AND a 3-1 Cowboys team? Prayers sent.

Mr. Laz
10-07-2014, 10:39 AM
Spanish nurse first to contract Ebola outside Africa

Spanish health officials are scrambling to find those people who may have come into contact with a nurse diagnosed with the Ebola virus. The nurse helped treat two patients who died from the disease at a Madrid hospital.

Nurse in Spain is first person to catch Ebola in Europe
Spanish Health Minister Ana Mato announced in a press conference on Monday that two tests had confirmed that the nurse had been infected with Ebola, which has killed more than 3,400 people in West Africa.
Mato said health officials were already monitoring 30 people, including the nurse's husband and coworkers, for symptoms of the disease and were seeking to find out who else she may have been in contact with since developing the symptoms a few days ago.

Jorge Marirrodriga reports from Madrid

The 40-year-old nurse checked into hospital in the Madrid suburb of Alcorcon on Sunday, despite having started to feel ill several days earlier. She was quickly placed in isolation, and the Associated Press reported that she had been transferred early on Tuesday to Madrid's Carlos III hospital, where she had helped treat two elderly Spanish missionaries who died of Ebola shortly after being brought home from Africa.

Questions raised

Health officials said they were investigating how the nurse could have become infected, as she had access to special equipment meant to protect health workers from the disease.

"We are working to see if all the protocols which were established were strictly followed," said Mato. "Spain follows all the recommendations of the World Health Organization."

Ebola's symptoms include fever, vomiting, diarrhea and sometimes internal and external bleeding. It is spread through contact with the bodily fluids of someone who has the virus.
pfd/crh (dpa, AFP, AP)

ThaVirus
10-07-2014, 10:59 AM
It has begun.

Donger
10-07-2014, 11:04 AM
The operative and relevant part of that article, Laz:

The nurse helped treat two patients who died from the disease at a Madrid hospital.

htismaqe
10-07-2014, 11:05 AM
Not to say it isn't concerning, especially the fact that they're seemingly making no attempt to screen people arriving from West Africa...

But the stuff in Spain isn't terribly alarming. I've lived in Spain, it isn't a 1st-world country. The medical facilities there aren't on par with England, France, Germany, or the US.

Aries Walker
10-07-2014, 11:10 AM
It has begun.
If you mean the media-fueled panicky overreaction, then yes, it absolutely has.

htismaqe
10-07-2014, 11:11 AM

Just wait until the marginally-tested but absolutely mandatory vaccine becomes available...

ThaVirus
10-07-2014, 01:17 PM

Definitely.

I was joking, FYI.

loochy
10-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Just wait until the marginally-tested but absolutely mandatory vaccine becomes available...

big_daddy will be first in line

Aries Walker
10-07-2014, 03:48 PM
Definitely.

I was joking, FYI.
I figured you might have been, but it's a CP DC tradition to respond to jokes and seriousness with equal indignation, so I went for it.

Also, considering your username . . . :hmmm:

BIG_DADDY
10-07-2014, 03:52 PM
big_daddy will be first in line

LMAO

BWillie
10-07-2014, 03:58 PM
When Ebola mutates and joines forces with Aids & the flu, you ****ers are all gonna be dead.

Ebolaids Flu

Game changer.

J Diddy
10-07-2014, 04:48 PM
When Ebola mutates and joines forces with Aids & the flu, you ****ers are all gonna be dead.

Ebolaids Flu

Game changer.

Transferred exclusively by mouth to manflute.

Is all good, all married men will be safe.

bshmerlie
10-07-2014, 05:34 PM
I wish they would develope a procedure that would prevent these deadly diseases from leaving the original area....basically a containment protocol to ensure that it can't jump from country to country via the airlines. I don't think this is going to be a major world wide epidemic but I think we should use occurences like Ebola now and Swine Flu from a few years ago as a way to put systems in place.

Rausch
10-07-2014, 05:38 PM
I wish they would develope a procedure that would prevent these deadly diseases from leaving the original area....basically a containment protocol to ensure that it can't jump from country to country via the airlines. I don't think this is going to be a major world wide epidemic but I think we should use occurences like Ebola now and Swine Flu from a few years ago as a way to put systems in place.

This...

Mr. Laz
10-12-2014, 03:55 PM
Texas nurse who had worn protective gear tests positive for Ebola
By Elizabeth Cohen, Steve Almasy and Joe Sutton, CNN
updated 4:54 PM EDT, Sun October 12, 2014

NEW: A "close contact" of the nurse is being monitored, says CDC
The worker helped care for an Ebola patient multiple times, CDC director says
He says there was a breach in protocol and his agency is investigating
Nurse was wearing protective gear when she helped care for Thomas Eric Duncan

(CNN) -- The deadly Ebola virus has been contracted by someone inside the United States for the first time.

A nurse who had worn protective gear during her "extensive contact" at a Dallas hospital with an Ebola patient who died tested positive during a preliminary blood test, officials said Sunday.

The woman had on a gown, gloves, mask and a shield during her multiple visits with Thomas Eric Duncan, but there was a breach in protocol, health officials said.

The patient is a nurse at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, an official who is familiar with the case told CNN.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta conducted testing on the blood sample, and confirmed the results Sunday, marking the first known transmission of Ebola in the United States and the second diagnosis in the country.

CDC: Protocol 'breach' led to infection Hospital: Worker wore protective gear Are U.S. hospitals prepared for Ebola? Second confirmed Ebola case in U.S.
She was involved in Duncan's care after he was placed in isolation -- his second trip to the hospital after coming to the United States from Liberia -- said Dr. Tom Frieden, the director of the CDC.

The nurse is in stable condition, Texas Health Resources chief clinical officer Dan Varga said. Duncan, the first person to be diagnosed with Ebola in the United States, died Wednesday.

The nurse had "extensive contact" on "multiple occasions" with Duncan, Frieden said.

"At some point, there was a breach in protocol, and that breach in protocol resulted in this infection," he said at a news conference Sunday. "The (Ebola treatment) protocols work. ... But we know that even a single lapse or breach can result in infection."

Also, Varga said that someone who is a "close contact" of the nurse has been "proactively" placed in isolation.

The hazardous materials unit of the Dallas Fire Department has cleaned up and decontaminated the public areas of the health worker's apartment complex, Mayor Mike Rawlings said. Police are keeping people out of the area and are talking to residents nearby.

"We have knocked on every door on that block," the mayor said.
Hazardous materials units have also cleaned out the nurse's car and will work on her apartment Sunday.

"This development is understandably disturbing news for the patient, the patient's family and colleagues and the greater Dallas community," the CDC said in a statement, announcing the nurse's test results.
It sought to play down a wider risk.

"The CDC and the Texas Department of State Health Services remain confident that wider spread in the community can be prevented with proper public health measures, including ongoing contact tracing, health monitoring among those known to have been in contact with the index patient, and immediate isolations if symptoms develop," the CDC said.

Complete coverage on the Ebola outbreak - http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/12/health/ebola/index.html

rabblerouser
10-12-2014, 08:55 PM
I'm just saying...my chances of becoming infected or beheaded have increased exponentially over the last 6 years.

Pasta Giant Meatball
10-12-2014, 11:12 PM
Burn it with fire

Valiant
10-13-2014, 12:23 AM
Texas nurse who had worn protective gear tests positive for Ebola
By Elizabeth Cohen, Steve Almasy and Joe Sutton, CNN
updated 4:54 PM EDT, Sun October 12, 2014

NEW: A "close contact" of the nurse is being monitored, says CDC
The worker helped care for an Ebola patient multiple times, CDC director says
He says there was a breach in protocol and his agency is investigating
Nurse was wearing protective gear when she helped care for Thomas Eric Duncan

(CNN) -- The deadly Ebola virus has been contracted by someone inside the United States for the first time.

A nurse who had worn protective gear during her "extensive contact" at a Dallas hospital with an Ebola patient who died tested positive during a preliminary blood test, officials said Sunday.

The woman had on a gown, gloves, mask and a shield during her multiple visits with Thomas Eric Duncan, but there was a breach in protocol, health officials said.

The patient is a nurse at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas, an official who is familiar with the case told CNN.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in Atlanta conducted testing on the blood sample, and confirmed the results Sunday, marking the first known transmission of Ebola in the United States and the second diagnosis in the country.

CDC: Protocol 'breach' led to infection Hospital: Worker wore protective gear Are U.S. hospitals prepared for Ebola? Second confirmed Ebola case in U.S.
She was involved in Duncan's care after he was placed in isolation -- his second trip to the hospital after coming to the United States from Liberia -- said Dr. Tom Frieden, the director of the CDC.

The nurse is in stable condition, Texas Health Resources chief clinical officer Dan Varga said. Duncan, the first person to be diagnosed with Ebola in the United States, died Wednesday.

The nurse had "extensive contact" on "multiple occasions" with Duncan, Frieden said.

"At some point, there was a breach in protocol, and that breach in protocol resulted in this infection," he said at a news conference Sunday. "The (Ebola treatment) protocols work. ... But we know that even a single lapse or breach can result in infection."

Also, Varga said that someone who is a "close contact" of the nurse has been "proactively" placed in isolation.

The hazardous materials unit of the Dallas Fire Department has cleaned up and decontaminated the public areas of the health worker's apartment complex, Mayor Mike Rawlings said. Police are keeping people out of the area and are talking to residents nearby.

"We have knocked on every door on that block," the mayor said.
Hazardous materials units have also cleaned out the nurse's car and will work on her apartment Sunday.

"This development is understandably disturbing news for the patient, the patient's family and colleagues and the greater Dallas community," the CDC said in a statement, announcing the nurse's test results.
It sought to play down a wider risk.

"The CDC and the Texas Department of State Health Services remain confident that wider spread in the community can be prevented with proper public health measures, including ongoing contact tracing, health monitoring among those known to have been in contact with the index patient, and immediate isolations if symptoms develop," the CDC said.

Complete coverage on the Ebola outbreak - http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/12/health/ebola/index.html

I was reading this earlier today.

Someone is lying. Somehow a nurse in a protective suit and safety measures caught it. They do not know how. Somehow a measure must of been missed they said. Or it is easier to catch then reported.

What is going to start happening after this guy successfully made it here is more people are going to try. You will have more people lying about not having it. Getting on airplanes to travel. You know, those airplanes with closed in atmospheres. They will try and get here and elsewhere to seek help, in turn infecting others.

There needs to be a quarantine on all flights from those areas. You can also be tested earlier to get out of quarantine but at your expense.

Quarantine is the only way, you can not help people by teaching and explaining to them, when they think it is ****ing witchcraft and like handling dead bodies that are oozing. **** sakes, these are the same people that think you can get rid of hiv by raping virgin girls.

Fight it over there by quarantining it over there and restricted travel.

Pasta Giant Meatball
10-13-2014, 06:36 AM
Just brilliant for them to let people keep bringing this shit in to the country. Jfc. Uh like Valiant said it's time to take some measures to stop this shit from spreading to over here. Door to door fliers ROFL

Eleazar
10-13-2014, 06:56 AM
I was reading this earlier today.

Someone is lying. Somehow a nurse in a protective suit and safety measures caught it. They do not know how. Somehow a measure must of been missed they said. Or it is easier to catch then reported.

Well, we aren't hearing all the details. It's entirely possible that this nurse did not follow all the protocol for dealing with this patient. Protocols are violated every day, either through ignorance or carelessness. Sterile violations can happen at any time in the operating theater for example.

It's more complicated than "she was wearing a protective suit, so how did she get it?". There has to be a certain way to take the suit off and dispose of it, for example.

I have posted in our Ebola thread in DC, that there are many questions about how easily it is to transmit the disease, if it can spread by air in close quarters, and what your danger would be sitting next to someone on a bus for example. There are a lot of people including some experts on Ebola who do not think this is settled science. This is by far the largest outbreak in history which means the virus has exponentially more chances to mutate.

The CDC and the White House are telling everyone there's nothing to see here, and that unless you get blood on you then you aren't going to get it, but that's not the whole story.

What is going to start happening after this guy successfully made it here is more people are going to try. You will have more people lying about not having it. Getting on airplanes to travel. You know, those airplanes with closed in atmospheres. They will try and get here and elsewhere to seek help, in turn infecting others.

We aren't doing anything meaningful at the country's airports to stop it, so of course if someone in Liberia got the disease he'd try to get to the US since it's the only chance he has got.

The problem is that there is no more of the drug that saved the American doctor, so he would get much better care here but his chances would still be slim.

There needs to be a quarantine on all flights from those areas. You can also be tested earlier to get out of quarantine but at your expense.

Quarantine is the only way, you can not help people by teaching and explaining to them, when they think it is ****ing witchcraft and like handling dead bodies that are oozing. **** sakes, these are the same people that think you can get rid of hiv by raping virgin girls.

Fight it over there by quarantining it over there and restricted travel.

I think there should be a ban on anyone entering the United States who has traveled to the affected area in the last 30 days.

Unfortunately, our government is not interested in dealing with the political ramifications of closing the borders in some way.

DaFace
10-13-2014, 08:08 AM
https://i.imgur.com/0My0MP9.jpg

J Diddy
10-13-2014, 08:09 AM
Ebola? I hardly knew her.

BWillie
10-13-2014, 09:21 AM

Awful short sighted cartoon. All people are wanting is preventative measures, and more measures taken so this DOESNT turn into something problematic.

Dave Lane
10-13-2014, 09:56 AM
No people are frightened cowards that piss their pants when the wind blows. Thats different.

Cave Johnson
10-13-2014, 10:12 AM
We aren't doing anything meaningful at the country's airports to stop it, so of course if someone in Liberia got the disease he'd try to get to the US since it's the only chance he has got.

The U.S. has implemented screening at 5 airports, covering 90% of flyers from West Africa. I'd argue they should funnel all incoming travelers to those airports, but it isn't true that we "aren't doing anything."

Otter
10-13-2014, 10:18 AM

So...are gunshot wounds caused by fat people who cosumed too much alcohol while trying to light a cigarette while speeding?

DaFace, please don't go cosmo on us. You're one of the sane faces here.

Eleazar
10-13-2014, 10:24 AM
The U.S. has implemented screening at 5 airports, covering 90% of flyers from West Africa. I'd argue they should funnel all incoming travelers to those airports, but it isn't true that we "aren't doing anything."

I said "meaningful". We aren't doing anything meaningful as we are not restricting entry to people with the primary risk factor, travel to the affected area.

Even the half measures, such as screening for people who are actively symptomatic entering the country (and would have been "unlikely" to be permitted on board at their originating airport) are only in place at a couple of airports.

There is little question that travel restrictions would shut this down, but the government doesn't want to do anything for political reasons.

Mr. Laz
10-13-2014, 10:30 AM
not until recently and even then the screening process sounds pretty weak.

"Do you have a fever?"
"NO"
"Do you feel sick?"
"No"
"Have you been in contact with anyone with Ebola?"
"No"
"Ok, welcome to the U.S."

pathetic ... anyone coming to the U.S. who has visited Africa within the incubation time should be quarantined until proven they don't have it. Period.

Anyone brought to the U.S. for treatment should be taken to a isolated physicality that specializes in dealing with communicably diseases, not just sprinkled around the U.S. near their home town and huge population centers.

This is not hair on fire panic talking ... it's common sense.

This idea that nobody will catch it in the U.S. has already turned out to be bullshit. I forget who said it but they INSISTED that there was absolutely no threat here in the U.S.

The people trying to play it off as media propaganda or panic by the small-minded are being naive or stupid.

The chance that even a small breakout could happen is simply not worth the risk.

rabblerouser
10-13-2014, 10:31 AM
these are the same people that think you can get rid of hiv by raping virgin girls.

:spock:

Wait...so, what you're saying is...

Baby rape voodoo DOESN'T cure muh dick of the AIDS??

:doh!:

Mr. Laz
10-13-2014, 10:32 AM
so anyone concerned about the handling of the Ebola disease in the U.S. is a drunk,fat idiot?

nice

rabblerouser
10-13-2014, 10:32 AM

"Do you have a fever?"
"NO"
"Do you feel sick?"
"No"
"No"

pathetic ... anyone coming to the U.S. who has visit Africe within the incubation time should be quarantined until proven they don't have it. Period.

Anyone brought to the U.S. for treatment should be taken to a isolated physicality that specializes in dealing with communicably diseases, not just sprinkled around the U.S. near their home town and near huge population centers.

This is not hair on fire panic talking ... it's common sense.

This idea that nobody will catch it in the U.S. has already turned out to be bullshit. I forget who said it but they INSISTED that there was absolutely no threat here in the U.S.

The people trying to play it off as media propaganda or panic by the small-minded are being naive or stupid.

The chance that even a small breakout could happen is simply not worth the risk.

I'm just saying, my chances of being beheaded or infected have increased exponentially over the past 6 years.

Rausch
10-13-2014, 10:38 AM
Ebola isn't something you control.

It's something you quarantine...

Mr. Laz
10-13-2014, 10:40 AM
I'm just saying...my chances of becoming infected or beheaded have increased exponentially over the last 6 years.
I'm just saying, my chances of being beheaded or infected have increased exponentially over the past 6 years.
You just Q'ed yourself, dumb ass.

people insisted that it was perfectly safe to bring Ebola into the U.S. because the united state is far too advanced to ever have it be a problem like a '3rd world shit hole like Africa'.

Well ... you were wrong.

But hey, don't let that stop your snarkey,asshole mouth from spouting off more bullshit that will turn out to be wrong.

Director of the CDC(or his boss) has screwed this up and should quit.

Donger
10-13-2014, 10:43 AM
people insisted that it was perfectly safe to bring Ebola into the U.S. because the united state is far too advanced to ever have it be a problem like a '3rd world shit hole like Africa'.

Well ... you were wrong.

I still insist that, and I'm right. You can tell because we don't have an outbreak here.

Rausch
10-13-2014, 10:45 AM
I still insist that, and I'm right. You can tell because we don't have an outbreak here.

Yet...

Cave Johnson
10-13-2014, 10:45 AM

"Do you have a fever?"
"NO"
"Do you feel sick?"
"No"
"No"

pathetic ... anyone coming to the U.S. who has visited Africa within the incubation time should be quarantined until proven they don't have it. Period.

That's not the screening procedure, ftr.

Rausch
10-13-2014, 10:47 AM
That's not the screening procedure, ftr.

No, they screen you for having a temperature and then ask those dumb ass questions...

Mr. Laz
10-13-2014, 10:56 AM

apparently they were going house-to-house to verify lack of contact with the nurse THAT CAUGHT EBOLA IN THE U.S. to make sure someone else hadn't caught it.

That is one small step from having an outbreak.

If that nurse had had a quickie with the mailman or something recently it could turn into an outbreak very quickly. Already closer than you thought it would ... but you keep splitting hairs to try to win the argument like you normally do.

Donger
10-13-2014, 10:59 AM
apparently they were going house-to-house to verify lack of contact with the nurse THAT CAUGHT EBOLA IN THE U.S. to make sure someone else hadn't caught it.

That is one small step from having an outbreak.

If that nurse had had a quickie with the mailman or something recently it could turn into an outbreak very quickly. Already closer than you thought it would ... but you keep splitting hairs to try to win the argument like you normally do.

It wouldn't surprise me if we end up with a dozen or so cases here, sure.

Now, compare that with what you said above.

Mr. Laz
10-13-2014, 11:00 AM
No, they screen you for having a temperature and then ask those dumb ass questions...and you know that most people are going to lie about the questions.

they don't think they have it and don't want to be bothered

or

survival instinct kicks in and they think they have it but want to get into the U.S. for better treatment and don't give a shit about anything else

Mr. Laz
10-13-2014, 11:02 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if we end up with a dozen or so cases here, sure.

Now, compare that with what you said above.
so a dozen of cases and several deaths don't matter?

what if one of those cases/deaths is somebody you care about?

ThaVirus
10-13-2014, 11:02 AM
"Survival instinct kicks in" LMAO

Calm your tits, Laz ROFL

Cave Johnson
10-13-2014, 11:04 AM

Calm your tits, Laz ROFL

Dude's in a soccer mom-esque tizzy..... appeals to calm, rational thought aren't going to work.

Eleazar
10-13-2014, 11:05 AM

The fact that we don't have an outbreak at present does not mean we should forego common sense precautions.

Donger
10-13-2014, 11:06 AM
so a dozen of cases and several deaths don't matter?

what if one of those cases/deaths is somebody you care about?

I didn't say it wouldn't "matter." I said that wouldn't be what you said is happening.

Donger
10-13-2014, 11:07 AM
The fact that we don't have an outbreak at present does not mean we should forego common sense precautions.

I don't disagree.

Mr. Laz
10-13-2014, 11:08 AM

Calm your tits, Laz ROFL
so you don't think somebody feeling sick wouldn't lie about it to get into the U.S. for better medical care?

ummm ... stay in Africa/mexico etc and die in a pile of you own vomit or lie and get into the U.S. and have a chance to live? :hmmm:

I'm trying to figure out whether you are that naive or that stupid.

Aries Walker
10-13-2014, 11:08 AM
Yep.

Also, this argument will prove itself one way or the other within a few weeks. Let's all come back then and compare notes.

Mr. Laz
10-13-2014, 11:10 AM
I didn't say it wouldn't "matter." I said that wouldn't be what you said is happening.
there you go spinning and sparring with words just to be a dick

you couldn't care less about the topic

pretty much the definition of being a Troll

Donger
10-13-2014, 11:10 AM
Yep.

Also, this argument will prove itself one way or the other within a few weeks. Let's all come back then and compare notes.

If there are any of us still alive then!

/splaz

ThaVirus
10-13-2014, 11:11 AM
so you don't think somebody feeling sick wouldn't lie about it to get into the U.S. for better medical care?

ummm ... stay in Africa/mexico etc and die in a pile of you own vomit or lie and get into the U.S. and have a chance to live? :hmmm:

I'm trying to figure out whether you are that naive or that stupid.

You should probably just stop talking. Maybe sit the next couple plays out.

Donger
10-13-2014, 11:13 AM
there you go spinning and sparring with words just to be a dick

you couldn't care less about the topic

pretty much the definition of being a Troll

I beg your pardon? YOU decided to interject whether or not a dozen Ebola cases "matters," not me. If you don't want me to respond to such things, don't say them.

And, yes, I do care about the topic. I'm just not panicking about it.

Mr. Laz
10-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Yep.

no it won't

The chance is there because already happened ... somebody caught the ebola virus INSIDE the U.S.

This bullshit position of "unless half the U.S. dies, i was right" is just beyond stupid.

It's been mishandled from the very beginning.

Donger
10-13-2014, 11:14 AM
no it won't

The chance is there because already happened ... somebody caught the ebola virus INSIDE the U.S.

This bullshit position of "unless half the U.S. dies, i was right" is just beyond stupid.

It's been mishandled from the very beginning.

Yes, a health care worker who was in direct contact with a dying Ebola patient.

Mr. Laz
10-13-2014, 11:16 AM
Maybe sit the next couple plays out.
well you're right about this

No reason to discuss a topic with group who are being too disingenuous for any discussion to be worthwhile.

Cave Johnson
10-13-2014, 11:19 AM

No reason to discuss a topic with group who are being too disingenuous for any discussion to be worthwhile.

Not panicking = disingenuous?

Sorry we're not similarly running around with our hair on fire, toots.

Donger
10-13-2014, 11:20 AM

Yes. You just compared two cases of Ebola in the United States to the outbreak in West Africa, and we're be disingenuous...

DaFace
10-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Awful short sighted cartoon. All people are wanting is preventative measures, and more measures taken so this DOESNT turn into something problematic.

What measures have not been taken that you feel should have been?

teedubya
10-13-2014, 11:22 AM
Not sure if this is bullshit or not, but I read that taking 1-2g of Vitamin C per day will help against getting ebola, as ebola allegedly acts like an advanced "sped-up" type of scurvy.

I'm not too concerned, taking Vitamin C is a good practice, regardless.

Donger
10-13-2014, 11:24 AM
Not sure if this is bullshit or not, but I read that taking 1-2g of Vitamin C per day will help against getting ebola, as ebola allegedly acts like an advanced "sped-up" type of scurvy.

I'm not too concerned, taking Vitamin C is a good practice, regardless.

An apple a day keeps Ebola away.

Cave Johnson
10-13-2014, 11:24 AM

Cochise wants a travel ban.

ThaVirus
10-13-2014, 11:28 AM
Just read on Facebook that there was a case in Jacksonville..?

Chick is a dumb cunt and I don't feel like Googling so take it for what it's worth.

Cave Johnson
10-13-2014, 11:30 AM
Just read on Facebook that there was a case in Jacksonville..?

Chick is a dumb **** and I don't feel like Googling so take it for what it's worth.

Is being screened, not diagnosed yet.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/news/patient-jacksonville-being-tested-ebola/nhhXr/

ThaVirus
10-13-2014, 11:31 AM
Is being screened, not diagnosed yet.

http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/news/patient-jacksonville-being-tested-ebola/nhhXr/

Wow, what a fucking dumb bitch. She's getting deleted ASAP.

Thank you for clearing that up. People are seriously fucking idiots and they piss me off.

BWillie
10-13-2014, 11:35 AM
Asking a question in a response is a clever way to provide no insight on a topic. Some postees are very good at this. 21 day waiting period for anybody wanting to fly out of affected parts of W Africa. Thats your answer.

teedubya
10-13-2014, 11:38 AM
An apple a day keeps Ebola away.

But what if it's an Ebola apple? :evil:

Cave Johnson
10-13-2014, 11:39 AM
Asking a question in a response is a clever way to provide no insight on a topic. Some postees are very good at this. 21 day waiting period for anybody wanting to fly out of affected parts of W Africa. Thats your answer.

So, mandatory quarantine in the U.S.?

DaFace
10-13-2014, 11:40 AM

I have nothing to add because I think the current response is perfectly reasonable. You said you want more measures taken, so I think it's a reasonable question to wonder what you're wanting to be done.

As for your suggestion, what about Europe (since people frequently layover there when traveling between the U.S. and Africa)?

Donger
10-13-2014, 11:41 AM
But what if it's an Ebola apple? :evil:

Then it would be covered in blood, puss and feces.

Donger
10-13-2014, 11:42 AM
21 day waiting period for anybody wanting to fly out of affected parts of W Africa. Thats your answer.

Where would you have them wait? The airport?