PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Paylor:Nico Johnson hopes to put ‘devastating’ rookie year in past

Tribal Warfare
07-28-2014, 07:27 PM
Now 10 pounds lighter, Chiefs’ Nico Johnson hopes to put ‘devastating’ rookie year in past (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article820981.html)

ST. JOSEPH

Chiefs linebacker Nico Johnson cites one play, in particular, that he hopes signifies his improvement since a disappointing rookie year.

On Saturday, during the Chiefs’ first padded practice of training camp, Johnson quickly realized he would be tasked with man-to-man coverage on do-everything star Jamaal Charles, who ran a wheel route down the sideline.

“I was pretty much trying to stay with him, and when I saw his eyes get bigger, I knew I had to get in his face,” Johnson said with a grin. “He ended up not catching the ball.”

That will never be an ideal matchup, because Charles will almost always torch a linebacker in the passing game. But the fact Johnson managed to stick with Charles is a win — a year ago, it might have been ugly.

A noted run-stopper at Alabama, the 6-foot-2 Johnson — who was taken in the fourth round of the 2013 NFL Draft — says he played at his college weight of 250 pounds last season and quickly realized that he needed to get quicker and better in coverage.

The NFL is a passing league, more than ever, and the old-school thumpers at linebacker are becoming an endangered species. This is just one of the reasons Johnson only played in six games and logged only seven tackles, all of which came in the Chiefs’ regular-season finale against San Diego in which backups primarily played.

“From talking to position coaches and everybody else, one thing they wanted me to do was lose weight and just try to play faster,” Johnson said. “Now I’m 240, 241 pounds and I feel lighter, I feel faster and combined with knowing the defense now, it’s just so much easier.

Injuries, however, also played a role in Johnson’s disappointing rookie season. He was expected to compete with veteran Akeem Jordan last year for the starting inside linebacker spot next to Derrick Johnson, but a high ankle sprain bothered him since the preseason, and Jordan won the job outright.

“It wasn’t a good year for me,” Nico Johnson said. “I was devastated.”

What’s more, third-year pro James-Michael Johnson — a fourth-round pick by Cleveland in 2012 who was claimed off waivers by the Chiefs before the regular-season opener — seemed to overtake him on the depth chart at inside linebacker and also logged far more special teams snaps, the latter of which is a significant way that backups can hold on to a precious spot on the 53-man roster.

This trend seemed to continue throughout organized team activities in June, though Saturday’s practice offered a bit of a breakthrough. When Joe Mays — one of two projected starters at inside linebacker in the base defense — left practice with a sore knee, it was Nico Johnson, not James-Michael Johnson, who stepped in and took some first-team reps.

Defensive coordinator Bob Sutton, however, cautioned that they trying to develop competition, and it’s also worth noting that when Mays missed Sunday’s practice, newly-signed veteran Josh Mauga took a lot of those same first-team reps.

“Competition at the inside and outside linebacker position is very good the way it is stacking up right now, and as you saw (Sunday), we are going to roll guys through there, get everyone a look in there,” Sutton said. “We have talked to everybody about it. If you are running out there with the first group, you better be pushing because there is somebody right behind you.”

Sutton, however, also had some nice words for his young linebacker.

“Nico came back in really good shape, as you see,” Sutton said. “That helps you in everything, I think. It helps in your endurance. It helps in your range. It allows you to play at the same speed maybe for quarters one through four instead of just quarter one … I think this is the lightest he has been in quite a while. Again, hat’s off to him for recognizing, ‘Hey, this is the way maybe I can help me.’”

Chiefs coach Andy Reid also praised Johnson’s conditioning, though he hinted he still needs to improve against the pass.

“He came back in phenomenal shape, and you’re looking at a big, strong linebacker,” Reid said. “Right now he’s better against the run than against the pass, but he’s working like crazy on the pass. You can see the strides that he’s made over the last year. It’s a good thing.”

For his part, Johnson said he was humbled by his struggles last season, and hopes to show enough overall improvement this preseason to prove he can make more of a contribution in 2014 than he did in 2013.

Because this is the NFL, after all, and nothing is guaranteed, not even a roster spot for a recent fourth round pick.

“The competition (at inside linebacker) is high,” Johnson said. “I was thinking over the summer that my game has to be at its best right now. I wasn’t thinking about my career, just this moment, this time. I’ve got to do my best. That’s what I’ve got to do.”

SeeingRed
07-28-2014, 07:34 PM
Our linebackers are very good this year...better than last year. and thats a good thing

In58men
07-28-2014, 07:36 PM
Man, he was a HUGE disappointment. I loved the pick, but sons a bitch.

KCrockaholic
07-28-2014, 08:19 PM
When I met him before the season last year I made sure to tell him that I was excited with what he can bring to the team, and that the city is dying for a winner. Definitely disappointed by last year with him. Nonetheless, he's got a chance to make up for it this year.

milkman
07-28-2014, 08:40 PM
Our linebackers are very good this year...better than last year. and thats a good thing

Akeem Jordan is better than Joe Mays, and the rest of the group is virtually the same.

mcaj22
07-28-2014, 08:43 PM
if Josh Mauga is getting first team reps than thats a bad sign

In58men
07-28-2014, 08:44 PM
Akeem Jordan is better than Joe Mays, and the rest of the group is virtually the same.

Justin Houston will be more explosive. Watch out for Nico Johnson

milkman
07-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Justin Houston will be more explosive. Watch out for Nico Johnson

We can not say right now that this LB group is better.

We can hope.

We can look at the potential and believe that they might be better.

But that is that we can do.

In58men
07-28-2014, 08:49 PM

We can hope.

I agree.

Fuck you Bob Sutton

SeeingRed
07-28-2014, 08:51 PM
From what Im hearing the front end of our defense has really looked dominating the last couple days and is the strength of the team.

Deberg_1990
07-28-2014, 09:18 PM
Bust

pugsnotdrugs19
07-28-2014, 09:20 PM

Mays and Jordan are the same player, but Mays is better in coverage and brings a serious hit stick. Toss-up. Also I think you are forgetting Dee Ford....?

Eleazar
07-28-2014, 09:22 PM
Good to hear that he has the right attitude, not entitled, owns what last season was for him. Sounds like he has his mind right.

KCrockaholic
07-28-2014, 09:28 PM

We can hope.

Eh, I'd say with the addition of Dee Ford we could say it's a better group. Jordan is a little better than Joe Mays though like you said. But, it's not like KC hangs out in their base package all game anyways. We're a nickel team that uses 3 safeties.

The Franchise
07-28-2014, 09:44 PM
From what Im hearing the front end of our defense has really looked dominating the last couple days and is the strength of the team.

Jonathan Baldwin was a beast in TC.

Saccopoo
07-28-2014, 11:04 PM

They are the same as last year.

The did nothing to address the big void of suckery that exists next to DJ.

If Nico Johnson and Joe Mays and James-Michael Johnson equal "“The competition (at inside linebacker) is high,” as stated by Nico, then competition sucks.

If Nico has an epiphany, well, Hooray! Otherwise, I'd pull out the Vaseline and prepare for rape.

Beef Supreme
07-29-2014, 12:09 AM
Sounds like Nico thought he could come in last year and cruise by on his natural ability, got a rude awakening, then got injured. There goes your rookie year. See if you can salvage something.

Rausch
07-29-2014, 05:51 AM
A Dorsey draft pick fighting injury?...

Kman34
07-29-2014, 05:54 AM
Nico Johnson is fighting for a spot on Special Teams.....

TEX
07-29-2014, 06:01 AM

If Nico Johnson and Joe Mays and James-Michael Johnson equal "“The competition (at inside linebacker) is high,” as stated by Nico, then competition sucks.

If Nico has an epiphany, well, Hooray! Otherwise, I'd pull out the Vaseline and prepare for rape.

Pretty much this. I think they feel that Mays will cancel the loss Jordan. 0+0 =0

Marcellus
07-29-2014, 06:15 AM
Jonathan Baldwin was a beast in TC.

And every single posotive report from camp must be wrong right. God forbid someone be optimistic about a position group.

Marcellus
07-29-2014, 06:16 AM

Why would Nico Johnson need an epiphany? He is a 2nd year player. Did he suck in college or something?

Quesadilla Joe
07-29-2014, 06:25 AM
Mays and Jordan are the same player, but Mays is better in coverage and brings a serious hit stick. Toss-up. Also I think you are forgetting Dee Ford....?

Mays' coverage ability is what got him run out of Denver a year after getting a fairly decent contract.

Bob Dole
07-29-2014, 07:16 AM
Why would Nico Johnson need an epiphany? He is a 2nd year player. Did he suck in college or something?

Apparently you haven't been keeping up. If KC drafted him, he either faced weak competition or outright sucked in college, and his selection was a reach. Always.

RealSNR
07-29-2014, 08:46 AM
Mays' coverage ability is what got him run out of Denver a year after getting a fairly decent contract.

And you fucking adored both him and Ryan Harris.

Kiimo
07-29-2014, 08:57 AM
Nico Johnson was a disappointment and I was extremely excited when the Chiefs drafted him. However to call him a bust at this point isn't just misguided it's downright stupid. DJ was a bust for three years remember? GMAFB.

pugsnotdrugs19
07-29-2014, 09:04 AM
Optimism is at an all-time low it would seem.... don't get it. At least watch the guys before judging.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
07-29-2014, 09:08 AM
Optimism is at an all-time low it would seem.... don't get it. At least watch the guys before judging.

:doh!:

The fucking Colts game! We're all dead inside. I hate this fucking team.

Reerun_KC
07-29-2014, 09:08 AM
Apparently you haven't been keeping up. If KC drafted him, he either faced weak competition or outright sucked in college, and his selection was a reach. Always.

Its either this or the KnowMo wanna b's that blow everything the guy does and makes excuses after excuse for his atrocious play...

There isn't very many folks left on CP that can be objective...

Halfcan
07-29-2014, 09:11 AM
That inside LB spot has been a black hole for production for many years- seems we should be able to find Somebody the won't just be a place holder and will actually make some big plays for us.

We need someone like this!!

Willie Lanier played middle linebacker for the Kansas City Chiefs for 11 seasons from 1967 through 1977. As the first African-American to star at that demanding position, he not only was a true pioneer but also the key man on one of the National Football League's strongest defensive teams.

At 6-1 and 245 pounds, he presented an awesome image to any quarterback who lined up against him. He became known and respected for his ability to track down enemy ball carriers and devastate them with the force of his tackles. He was called "Contact" because of his powerful hits on the opposition. Yet he was intelligent and disciplined and obviously much more than just a hitter in his role as quarterback of the defense.

He was All-Pro, All-AFL or All-AFC every year from 1968 through 1975. He was elected to the last two AFL All-Star games following the 1968 and 1969 seasons, and the first six AFC-NFC Pro Bowl games after the merger. He was the defensive MVP in the 1971 Pro Bowl. For a defensive player, he also did well statistically.

Except for his first and last seasons, he intercepted at least two passes every year and wound up with 27 thefts, which were returned for 440 yards and two touchdowns. He also recovered 18 fumbles. Lanier was a two-time Small College All-America at Morgan State. He was a second-round choice of the Chiefs in the 1967 draft and overcame stiff opposition to grab a starting job in the fourth game of his rookie season. He proved to be one of the most durable of all NFL stars of his time. He missed the last four games of his rookie campaign and then sat out only one more game in the next 10 seasons.

- See more at: http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/member.aspx?player_id=122#sthash.5qjYz625.dpuf

pugsnotdrugs19
07-29-2014, 09:16 AM
Also, we are talking about a position that will feature a player who his on the field maybe 35% of the snaps. This isn't SanFran, we will have extra DB's mostly. Worry about that...