PDA

View Full Version : Food and Drink Butternut Squash

luv
07-29-2014, 07:33 PM
I've discovered a new love, and it is in the form of the butternut squash. There have been so many food threads lately, that I felt this needed its place among them. In addition to tasting so good, it has MANY health benefits!

http://www.nutrition-and-you.com/butternut-squash.html

Health benefits of Butternut squash

Butternut squash compose of many vital poly-phenolic anti-oxidants and vitamins. As in other Cucurbitaceae members, butternut too has very low calories; 100 g provides just 45 calories. It contains no saturated fats or cholesterol; however, is rich source of dietary fiber and phyto-nutrients. Squash is one of the common vegetables that often recommended by dieticians in the cholesterol controlling and weight-reduction programs.

It has more vitamin A than that of in pumpkin. At 10630 IU per 100 g, it is perhaps the single vegetable source in the Cucurbitaceae family with the highest levels of vitamin-A, constituting about 354% of RDA. Vitamin A is a powerful natural anti-oxidant and is required by the body for maintaining the integrity of skin and mucus membranes. It is also an essential vitamin for optimum eye-sight. Research studies suggest that natural foods rich in vitamin A help the body protected against lung and oral cavity cancers.

Furthermore, butternut squash has plenty of natural poly-phenolic flavonoid compounds like α and ß-carotenes, cryptoxanthin-ß, and lutein. These compounds convert to vitamin A inside the body and deliver same protective functions of vitamin A on the body.

It is rich in B-complex group of vitamins like folates, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B-6 (pyridoxine), thiamin, and pantothenic acid.

It has similar mineral profile as that in pumpkin, containing adequate levels of minerals like iron, zinc, copper, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus.

Butternut squash seeds are a good source of dietary fiber and mono-unsaturated fatty acids that benefit for heart health. In addition, they are rich in protein, minerals, and numerous health-benefiting vitamins. The seeds are an excellent source of health promoting amino acid, tryptophan. Tryptophan converts to health benefiting GABA neuro-chemical in the brain.

If you have any favorite recipes for butternut squash, I'd love to read over them!

Gonzo
07-29-2014, 07:47 PM
I'd like to squash her butternut. Lol

BucEyedPea
07-29-2014, 07:55 PM
Always been on of my favorite vegetables. I even made a bisque from butternut squash one year.
To be honest though, try an organic one and it has so much more flavor.

Buzz
07-29-2014, 08:05 PM
I'd like to squash her butternut. Lol

Get inline perv. wait, what?

Hoover
07-29-2014, 08:48 PM
curried butternut squash soup rocks.

I make a crap load and freeze it.

Jewish Rabbi
07-29-2014, 08:50 PM
I'd rather piss out a butternut squash than read another deberg thread.

Bowser
07-29-2014, 10:00 PM
I'd rather piss out a butternut squash than read another deberg thread.

http://media0.giphy.com/media/GCLlQnV7wzKLu/giphy.gif

Psyko Tek
07-29-2014, 10:28 PM
hear it's good fried in duck fat