PDA

View Full Version : Misc Do you go to movies by yourself?

Sorce
08-01-2014, 02:52 PM
I normally go with my wife or friends but my wife is out of town and friends are all busy tonight. I really want to see Guardians of the Galaxy tonight, just feels weird going alone. I guess it's because most of the time I go with other people but you aren't really interacting with the people you go with so it shouldn't seem strange.

I know some people go to movies by themselves all the time. So do you think it feels strange or no big deal.

R8RFAN
08-01-2014, 02:54 PM
I don't go to the movies at all...

BigBeauford
08-01-2014, 02:56 PM
I normally go with my wife or friends but my wife is out of town and friends are all busy tonight. I really want to see Guardians of the Galaxy tonight, just feels weird going alone. I guess it's because most of the time I go with other people but you aren't really interacting with the people you go with so it shouldn't seem strange.

I know some people go to movies by themselves all the time. So do you think it feels strange or no big deal.

I heard Direkshun is needing a friend.

cosmo20002
08-01-2014, 02:57 PM

It probably shouldn't seem weird but it does seem weird. You probably shouldn't care if it seems weird though and just do what you want.

The Franchise
08-01-2014, 02:57 PM
I've done it before. In fact, I've seen both of the Hobbit movies by myself. It's a lot more relaxing because you don't have to worry about answering questions or hearing commentary. Plus my wife won't go see them anyways.

BucEyedPea
08-01-2014, 02:58 PM

I've done it if its a movie I really want to see and no one else does or can. I usually do a late afternoon matinee. Usually, I only go with one other person when I do go tho.'

Why Not?
08-01-2014, 02:59 PM
It's my preferred way to go. Who cares if you go with other people? You sit in the dark, watch the movie, then go home.

BigBeauford
08-01-2014, 02:59 PM
I think it's fine as long as you don't go see Children's movies by yourself.

BucEyedPea
08-01-2014, 03:01 PM

I plan to see Maleficent alone. My guy doesn't want to see it.

Bowser
08-01-2014, 03:02 PM
No big deal. You want to go see Guardians, but nobody else can/will? Then go see Guardians.

BigBeauford
08-01-2014, 03:04 PM
I plan to see Maleficent alone. My guy doesn't want to see it.

Let me rephrase that and be an adult male.

ModSocks
08-01-2014, 03:05 PM
I've done it before. In fact, I've seen both of the Hobbit movies by myself. It's a lot more relaxing because you don't have to worry about answering questions or hearing commentary. Plus my wife won't go see them anyways.

This.

It sounds weird, but it's actually really nice going alone. I've done it once or twice...feels good. And it's a lot cheaper too.

Stewie
08-01-2014, 03:06 PM
I went to the movies by myself a couple of times when I was younger because I was working weird hours and weekends. The last one I remember going to by myself was "Gandhi." It was a weekday matinee and the theater was basically empty.

BlackHelicopters
08-01-2014, 03:06 PM
Go see the movie. No big deal.

The Franchise
08-01-2014, 03:07 PM
Going to the movies alone? Ok.
Going to the strip club alone? Not Ok.

Beef Supreme
08-01-2014, 03:08 PM
I don't go to movies at the theater very much anymore, but I have gone solo several times when I do.

A long time ago, I went to see a matinee of Die Hard 2 and I was the only person in the entire theater. They showed that movie to me and me alone.

Sorce
08-01-2014, 03:11 PM

What if I accidentally see a children's movie? (http://kotaku.com/cinema-plays-wrong-movie-to-guardians-of-the-galaxy-cro-1614404670)

I'm going to see it, still just feels weird .

PunkinDrublic
08-01-2014, 03:12 PM
Yes. Love it. I like going during the day when most people are working or on a Sunday afternoon. Especially after a bad chiefs loss to take my mind off the game.

The Franchise
08-01-2014, 03:13 PM
Yes. Love it. I like going during the day when most people are working or on a Sunday afternoon. Especially after a bad chiefs loss to take my mind off the game.

Yeah....when I have gone....it's been to a matinee during the middle of a weekday. Way cheaper and not busy at all.

Bowser
08-01-2014, 03:14 PM
Plus, you can let rip a loud fart in a midweek matinee and nobody will hear it and/or care.

Predarat
08-01-2014, 03:17 PM
If its a movie I really want to see, and cannot find anyone else to go I do. Yes it does feel a bit weird, but once the movie starts its all Bantha Fodder.

ThaVirus
08-01-2014, 03:37 PM
I go to the movies by myself all the time. It's convenient because my gym is right next to the theater I frequent. I run to the gym with a bag, work out, take a shower, and head to a quick matinee for half the price.

It's not like you can talk to whoever you're with while you're there anyway so I don't see why it's viewed as weird.

Easy 6
08-01-2014, 03:38 PM
Only very rarely, I always feel like an oddball sitting there by myself, same thing for restaurants.

BucEyedPea
08-01-2014, 03:42 PM
I went to the movies by myself a couple of times when I was younger because I was working weird hours and weekends. The last one I remember going to by myself was "Gandhi." It was a weekday matinee and the theater was basically empty.

That's what I love about weekday matinees. Plus being self-employed.

BucEyedPea
08-01-2014, 03:44 PM
Only very rarely, I always feel like an oddball sitting there by myself, same thing for restaurants.

I used to have a problem eating alone in restaurants but not anymore. Have to do it from time to time when I had to work late in the city or travel so I got used to that early. That plus waitressing in art school and seeing others doing it.

Pepe Silvia
08-01-2014, 03:47 PM
One time and I never did it again, it was lame

-King-
08-01-2014, 03:49 PM
I have 3 or 4 times. Mostly matinee. I felt self conscious for some reason when I went to a evening/night showing and the theater was packed. But for a matinee, it's pretty cool.

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2014, 03:50 PM
I've been by myself quite a bit, both while I was reviewing and for pleasure. Mainly if it's a movie I want to see and wife/friends aren't interested, but occasionally just because I wanted to. I particularly like that it's a very peaceful, pleasant experience by myself.

Lonewolf Ed
08-01-2014, 03:58 PM
I generally do, and it is great when the kiddies are in school to catch a movie during the week. Sometimes, I have the entire theater to myself. No one texting and yapping... ahhhh, nice.

Donger
08-01-2014, 03:58 PM
No.

Fire Me Boy!
08-01-2014, 04:00 PM
I generally do, and it is great when the kiddies are in school to catch a movie during the week. Sometimes, I have the entire theater to myself. No one texting and yapping... ahhhh, nice.

This is why the wife and I almost exclusively go to movies on Sunday mornings. Cheaper tickets, fewer people.

eDave
08-01-2014, 04:08 PM
Some. Depends on the movie and whether the GF is interested.

I'm sure I will see Interstellar by myself and will love every minute of it.

Saccopoo
08-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Going to the movies alone? Ok.
Going to the strip club alone? Not Ok.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1357165_o.gif

zigbazah
08-01-2014, 04:18 PM
Unless it's at a fast food/sandwich place during lunch, I think sitting alone in a restaurant is a little weird. Not so much for movie theater. You can't really socialize during a movie.

-King-
08-01-2014, 04:20 PM
Cell phones have made it easier to be alone. Without them, the awkwardness of being at a restaurant or any other place alone would be too much.

alnorth
08-01-2014, 04:21 PM
I frequently go to the movies alone, almost the entire time you are there is spent in the dark where there is a strict social norm of "everyone keep quiet and don't interact".

If you feel weird, it is entirely an internal issue, when you walk into the theater and sit down, people are not staring at you judging. They are all focused on finding their own seats and waiting for the movie to start.

Why Not?
08-01-2014, 04:27 PM
Come to think of it, there are very few things I don't enjoy doing by myself. One stands out in particular

PunkinDrublic
08-01-2014, 04:28 PM
I frequently go to the movies alone, almost the entire time you are there is spent in the dark where there is a strict social norm of "everyone keep quiet and don't interact".

If you feel weird, it is entirely an internal issue, when you walk into the theater and sit down, people are not staring at you judging. They are all focused on finding their own seats and waiting for the movie to start.

Going alone on a Friday or Saturday night is weird because it looks like you got stood up on a date. If you eat at a restaurant alone, eat at the bar and chat up the bartender. It's not a big deal.

keg in kc
08-01-2014, 04:30 PM
I almost always go to the movies alone. Maybe once or twice a year with other people. I actually don't like going with other people.

TEX
08-01-2014, 04:32 PM
I almost always go to the movies alone. Maybe once or twice a year with other people. I actually don't like going with other people.

This. I saw Lucy today alone as a matter of fact.

Fish
08-01-2014, 04:33 PM
WTF would anyone think it was weird? It's the ideal event to enjoy alone. You're not supposed to talk. Why would you want somebody else sitting there in silence with you?

Odd social norm. I strongly prefer going by my self.

Dayze
08-01-2014, 04:36 PM
when I would go to movies, I would go by myslef all the time.

Mr. Laz
08-01-2014, 04:52 PM
never have but i can see how some people would like it

can go to whatever movie you want, when you want, don't have to talk during the movie about anything etc.

Bowser
08-01-2014, 04:59 PM
Hell, sometimes I prefer to go by myself. The wife doesn't like to go to movies and I do, so there you have it.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-01-2014, 05:01 PM
Yup. Cutting a hole in the bottom of the popcorn container is more exciting that way.

Donger
08-01-2014, 05:02 PM
I hadn't been to a movie since Gladiator when the wife convinced me to go to see The Master with her at one of those dinner and drinks movie theaters. I made it about 45 minutes into it when I started laughing and we "had to leave."

Pasta Little Brioni
08-01-2014, 05:04 PM
Ordering fish and chips at one of those places would be hilarious

cosmo20002
08-01-2014, 05:07 PM
Unless it's at a fast food/sandwich place during lunch, I think sitting alone in a restaurant is a little weird. Not so much for movie theater. You can't really socialize during a movie.

Even then, you gotta be reading something or on a tablet/laptop of something. If I see someone just sitting there eating alone without reading, I assume they are going to shoot up the place.

cosmo20002
08-01-2014, 05:08 PM
I hadn't been to a movie since Gladiator when the wife convinced me to go to see The Master with her at one of those dinner and drinks movie theaters. I made it about 45 minutes into it when I started laughing and we "had to leave."

I kind of have you pegged as a hermit. How close am I?

Donger
08-01-2014, 05:11 PM
I kind of have you pegged as a hermit. How close am I?

Considering that I travel almost every week... But, no, I'm not a big fan of society or other humans unless it's required.

Clyde Frog
08-01-2014, 05:29 PM
I go by myself with a bottle of makers stuffed down my pants. Makes 6 dollar coke + 18 dollar movie worth it.

eDave
08-01-2014, 05:37 PM
Even then, you gotta be reading something or on a tablet/laptop of something. If I see someone just sitting there eating alone without reading, I assume they are going to shoot up the place.

Hogwash. I eat alone a lot and don't think about it. Anyone judging me by that is sideways. It's just me refueling and onto the next thing.

PS: I don't have to eat alone.

saphojunkie
08-01-2014, 05:40 PM
I saw Hunger Games alone. True story. Just me and a Mexican family of 7 in the theater. I had a blast.

Bowser
08-01-2014, 05:43 PM
I go by myself with a bottle of makers stuffed down my pants. Makes 6 dollar coke + 18 dollar movie worth it.

Speaking of (sort of), I grabbed a top shelf Long Island from the bar in AMC Barrywoods before we went in. $13, lol. It was pretty strong, at least, but I'll never do that again.

Clyde Frog
08-01-2014, 05:44 PM
Speaking of (sort of), I grabbed a top shelf Long Island from the bar in AMC Barrywoods before we went in. $13, lol. It was pretty strong, at least, but I'll never do that again.

I LOVE the theaters that serve alcohol. Its a little overpriced but the concept is great and it keeps the kids out of the picture.

cosmo20002
08-01-2014, 05:45 PM
Considering that I travel almost every week... But, no, I'm not a big fan of society or other humans unless it's required.

Humans can be rather irritating and unpleasant, I agree with you on that.

cosmo20002
08-01-2014, 05:47 PM
Hogwash. I eat alone a lot and don't think about it. Anyone judging me by that is sideways. It's just me refueling and onto the next thing.

PS: I don't have to eat alone.

Eating alone is fine. Just read something so you don't creep people out.

luv
08-01-2014, 05:47 PM
I thought it would feel strange the first time I did, but it turned out to be no big deal.

Bearcat
08-01-2014, 07:18 PM
WTF would anyone think it was weird? It's the ideal event to enjoy alone. You're not supposed to talk. Why would you want somebody else sitting there in silence with you?

Odd social norm. I strongly prefer going by my self.

Yeah, I guess a lot of people are forever stuck in high school.

CoMoChief
08-01-2014, 07:28 PM
If I'm not on a date I almost always go to the movies alone. I prefer it that way.

Now I think comedies are different..I think a lot of the humor and laughter comes from the atmosphere and sharing the laughs with someone else and others in the theatre.

But if it's not a comedy...I will go alone.

Tribal Warfare
08-01-2014, 07:30 PM
Did this last night for GOTG. I got my special seat in the top center, and enjoyed it without dealing with incessant chatter.

lewdog
08-01-2014, 08:09 PM
I feel weird eating alone at anything that's a sit down restaurant. Fast food places no problem, I'll go in and sit. If your at a sit-down restaurant and eating alone, I feel bad for that person. I don't know why though, I had a friend that did it all the time who was normal. It's just weird though.

Aries Walker
08-01-2014, 08:14 PM
I just got back from a solo trip to the movies. Honestly, it's not a great social activity, to sit side-by-side in the dark and stare straight forward without talking. If I really want to see the movie, I go alone.

-King-
08-01-2014, 08:14 PM
If I'm not on a date I almost always go to the movies alone. I prefer it that way.

Now I think comedies are different..I think a lot of the humor and laughter comes from the atmosphere and sharing the laughs with someone else and others in the theatre.

This is true. I've been to movies where I thought it was hilarious, then go home to watch it and barely laugh.

Eleazar
08-01-2014, 08:24 PM
I do it sometimes. I would rather go with someone else but if there is something I want to see and I've got nothing to do, why not? It's a dark room, not like anyone is going to see you.

Buzz
08-01-2014, 08:29 PM
Last time I went alone was after a disagreement with the wife, had to cool off a bit, that was probably 10 years ago, couldn't tell you what the movie was

mikeyis4dcats.
08-01-2014, 08:52 PM
sure. sometimes if I'm stressed at work and need a break, I'll grab a matinee.

UL Washington
08-01-2014, 09:26 PM
I travel alone often and end up in random cities with time to kill so I eat alone, go to local sports events alone, I don't give a shit if people think that's weird. Not that anyone would ever notice or care... I'm in a town I'm going to go out I'm not sitting in my hotel room because I give a shit what some stranger thinks...

-King-
08-01-2014, 09:30 PM
I went to a preseason chiefs game alone once. Felt weird as hell.

ThaVirus
08-01-2014, 09:35 PM
I went to a preseason chiefs game alone once. Felt weird as hell.

I went to our game against the Bucs in 2012. We were absolute garbage that year so I didn't want to make my girlfriend go with me and I don't have any Chiefs fan friends.

We got fisted. It was a slaughterhouse in 90 degree weather with no shade... I'm glad I was alone.

listopencil
08-01-2014, 10:11 PM

I enjoy watching comedies alone. I'm one of those people that are typically difficult to crack up, and it annoys me when a crowd is laughing and I miss even a small bit of the movie.

Just Passin' By
08-01-2014, 10:16 PM
Alone. With others. It's a movie, not a couples dance. It doesn't matter.

Chiefshrink
08-02-2014, 12:18 AM
I heard Direkshun is needing a friend.

I'm sure Paul Rubins is available. They would have a lot in common I'm sure of it.:thumb:

cosmo20002
08-02-2014, 12:31 AM
I'm sure Paul Rubins is available. They would have a lot in common I'm sure of it.:thumb:

Seattle dentist Paul Rubins? Kind of an odd recommendation.

Dr. Paul Rubin Mercury Free Dentist Seattle
www.drpaulrubin.com Cached
Dr. Paul Rubin Mercury Free Dentist Seattle.

Nzoner
08-02-2014, 12:53 AM
I don't go to a movie to talk to others so yes I go alone now back in the 70's/80's I never went to a drive-in alone,that would be weird.

rocknrolla
08-02-2014, 12:55 AM
I feel weird eating alone at anything that's a sit down restaurant. Fast food places no problem, I'll go in and sit. If your at a sit-down restaurant and eating alone, I feel bad for that person. I don't know why though, I had a friend that did it all the time who was normal. It's just weird though.

Going to the movies solo is no big deal. Going to a restaurant, I wont go unless I sit at the bar where I can always make friends. I don't get the whole dinner and a movie thing. Why would you take a date to a movie? You can't talk, after dinner and its clicking. The last place I want to go is to a movie.

cabletech94
08-02-2014, 07:11 AM
the only time i've ever gone to a movie alone was on a sunday afternoon in the summer.
ended up watching spiderman 3. it was 3 or 4 weeks after the premier. and there were like 3 or 4 people total there.
because, well i'd seen the other 2, so i had to watch it, right?

pretty sure there was a "how i met your mother" joke made about my situation.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2014, 07:20 AM
Going to the movies solo is no big deal. Going to a restaurant, I wont go unless I sit at the bar where I can always make friends. I don't get the whole dinner and a movie thing. Why would you take a date to a movie? You can't talk, after dinner and its clicking. The last place I want to go is to a movie.

Yeah, a good date is an exotic trip where you can talk on the plane for a few hours first. It's a good first date as well. Then you don't have to waste time dating for months because when you live and travel with someone for a short time and tells you a LOT!

BucEyedPea
08-02-2014, 07:33 AM
Eating alone is fine. Just read something so you don't creep people out.

I draw designs all over a bunch of napkins. I read Steven Speilberg does that too. Great people are alike I guess. Alone in a restaurant is a great idea generator for some reason. The Laffer curve was drawn on a napkin too. It's essentially Selfie-Brainstorming on Napkins. There ought be a "How To" book on it.

Canofbier
08-02-2014, 08:16 AM
Yeah, a good date is an exotic trip where you can talk on the plane for a few hours first. It's a good first date as well. Then you don't have to waste time dating for months because when you live and travel with someone for a short time and tells you a LOT!

I don't know what sort of men you're dating, but there is NO FUCKING WAY I'd drop that kind of cash on a first date. There isn't a woman or man on earth worth that much investment to "get to know". Maybe I'm too young - is this something desperate old men actually do?

Incidentally, I've decided to hit up an IMAX 3D showing of GotG later this morning. Seems like it'll be a nice segue into grocery shopping and lunch.

milkman
08-02-2014, 08:21 AM
This. I saw Lucy today alone as a matter of fact.

Chiefsshrink was at the movies?

King_Chief_Fan
08-02-2014, 08:31 AM
I go alone a lot....my wife shops while I sit through a movie and then we meet up after the movie to do lunch or dinner (depending on movie time). It is a win for both of us.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2014, 08:42 AM
I go alone a lot....my wife shops while I sit through a movie and then we meet up after the movie to do lunch or dinner (depending on movie time). It is a win for both of us.

Men who let their women shop are good men. I shopped for 7 hours yesterday and I was exhausted. It's hard work ya' know.

Demonpenz
08-02-2014, 08:51 AM
The first movie of the day is 5 bucks no one is there but me. I can't troll people, but it is still.fun.

Rasputin
08-02-2014, 08:56 AM
I saw Passion of the Christ by my self.

I remember it..

Jesus was like 'My name is Jesus'

Master Reynolds was like 'Your name is Toby' and whipped Jesus good.

Master Reynolds 'No your name is Toby' and whipped Jesus some more

Jesus was like 'No Mother Fucker my NAME is Jesus' in Samuel L. Jackson voice.

Well Master Reynolds took Jesus to Pilot and they turned him over to the Jews and they beat Jesus to a pulp and hung him on a cross but he still called himself Jesus and forgave them for they knew not what they were doing.

Sorce
08-02-2014, 03:42 PM
Well didn't go last night but made it to the matinee today. Wasn't weird at all once I overcame the initial weirdness. Best part was after the movie I didn't have to stand around in the lobby waiting for people to use the restroom, I just got in my car and left.

The movie was awesome by the way.

listopencil
08-02-2014, 05:20 PM
I saw Passion of the Christ by my self.

I remember it..

Master Reynolds was like 'Your name is Toby' and whipped Jesus good.

Master Reynolds 'No your name is Toby' and whipped Jesus some more

Jesus was like 'No Mother ****er my NAME is Jesus' in Samuel L. Jackson voice.

Well Master Reynolds took Jesus to Pilot and they turned him over to the Jews and they beat Jesus to a pulp and hung him on a cross but he still called himself Jesus and forgave them for they knew not what they were doing.

That is the best movie review I have ever read.

BucEyedPea
08-02-2014, 06:08 PM
I wear a long rain coat when I got to weekend matinees. Just to freak the kiddies out.

Just Passin' By
08-02-2014, 08:12 PM
Went to GOTG by myself this afternoon. I met some nice people beforehand, enjoyed the movie, talked about it with the people I'd met and went home happy.

No worries.

GloryDayz
08-02-2014, 08:14 PM
I often times leave "the movies" for times I'm on the road, so I don't mind at all going alone.

Rasputin
08-02-2014, 08:40 PM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iXyAdToiYSk?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Silock
08-02-2014, 08:53 PM
I'm leaving my house right now to go see a movie by myself. Wife is already asleep in the bed.

tecumseh
08-02-2014, 09:03 PM
It's no problem for me. "Anyone want to go to the movies and see......?" No? Bye.

Hammock Parties
08-02-2014, 09:07 PM
Movies are not a social activity. You are there to watch the movie.

You can discuss it later with someone at a different venue.

srvy
08-02-2014, 09:10 PM
I travel alone often and end up in random cities with time to kill so I eat alone, go to local sports events alone, I don't give a shit if people think that's weird. Not that anyone would ever notice or care... I'm in a town I'm going to go out I'm not sitting in my hotel room because I give a shit what some stranger thinks...

This ^^^

I do it all the time never think twice about it.

keg in kc
08-02-2014, 09:18 PM
I'm leaving my house right now to go see a movie by myself. Wife is already asleep in the bed.
Does a private 'screening' room at a local porn shop count as a movie?

alpha_omega
08-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Only once that I recall....

The 25th Anniversary re-release of The Godfather. As I recall, it was awesome.

However, I've probably only been to 5 or 6 movies in the last 10 years.

Silock
08-02-2014, 09:49 PM
Does a private 'screening' room at a local porn shop count as a movie?

Well, I hope so.