PDA

View Full Version : Home and Auto Sitting at the dealership service department...

Dante84
08-04-2014, 06:22 AM
Yesterday, I'm driving, and my '05 Infiniti G35x has every light on the dash comes on and the engine and power steering die.

Luckily, I'm able to pull over before the momentum stops, and that I wasn't killed.

I am able to turn the engine back on, with difficulty (I had to give it gas to turn over). My "VDC OFF" and "SLIP" Lights remain on, as does my check engine light.

I look it up, and there's an entire recall for this specific issue. Many people describe specifically what happened to me, and its attributed to this recall issue. Cam/Crankshaft sensors fail due to faulty soldering of a part.

I'm first in line at the Infiniti dealership service dept. today, and the guy tells me that my VIN number doesn't apply to the recall. We both agree that the issue is likely my Cam/Crankshaft sensors due to the overwhelming amount of people who have this issue.

I also have my passenger side airbag failure light on, which was another recall - which they "fixed" in 2012. "If the light is on now, its likely due to actual malfunction. We'll take a look at it."

So, one recall for the exact issue I have doesn't apply, and the other issue I have is something they already "fixed" due to a previous recall.

Before they even look at it, he writes me up for a $140 "diagnosis fee." I told you what the issue is. Thanks for the diagnosis, shit bag.

Mav
08-04-2014, 06:30 AM
I owned a Lincoln LS. I realized then that I would have to be far wealthier than I was to own a Luxury car.

My tranny went, and that was $3000.

My starter went that was 300.

Just not worth it. You would think that a luxury car, would mean less to worry about.

We have a 2010 Malibu. never a problem with it, I have a Mazdaspeed3, no problems with it.

Ill stay with the lower tier cars.

I feel for you bro.

RedDread
08-04-2014, 06:30 AM
I think I found the problem.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aMcYAs70IoY/UNiEpA-FvmI/AAAAAAAAGfA/CqHLlvm6C9w/s1600/Infiniti+Logo+4.jpg

Mav
08-04-2014, 06:31 AM
I think I found the problem.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aMcYAs70IoY/UNiEpA-FvmI/AAAAAAAAGfA/CqHLlvm6C9w/s1600/Infiniti+Logo+4.jpg

That's so mean lol.

Funny, but mean.

Dante84
08-04-2014, 06:34 AM
Dudes. I've had the car for 10 years - its worked like a gem.

The only issues are the aforementioned airbag light that's stayed on, and the new issue of a sensor or two fucking up. Outside of that and preventative maintenance, I've never had anything wrong.

I'll never drive another car, I don't think.

InChiefsHeaven
08-04-2014, 06:52 AM
I've heard that they are good cars, but just like any luxury car, when they do break...it fucking hurts...

Dante84
08-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Usually, I'm able to take it to a buddy or really any shop since its essentially a Nissan with earrings.

What I'm pissed about in this case is that I knew the issues, and they're absolutely related to two different recalls. A buck-forty for a "diagnosis" is bullshit, and it's very convenient for them that my VIN doesn't fit the recall.

TribalElder
08-04-2014, 06:57 AM
Trade that thing in for a Subaru LMAO

Reerun_KC
08-04-2014, 07:33 AM
http://www.unilever.com.au/Images/vaseline-450x450_tcm72-298021.jpg

thought you might need this?

Eleazar
08-04-2014, 07:37 AM
I owned a Lincoln LS. I realized then that I would have to be far wealthier than I was to own a Luxury car.

Those things were POSes.

bigjosh
08-04-2014, 07:52 AM
Cam and crank sensors are a pretty simple fix, if you have any mechanical skills. You could save yourself slmost a mortgage payment in parts and labor by taking a few hours to do it yourself.

morphius
08-04-2014, 07:56 AM
I had similar issues with my 05 Altima, they replaced the sensor, didn't stop the problem. Hated that piece of crap. They had a recall on the smaller engine, but not on the one I owned even though tons of people were having the issue. Last Nissan for this family...

Gonzo
08-04-2014, 08:11 AM
I think I know someone who will copay you for you no questions asked if you want a new one.

tecumseh
08-04-2014, 08:54 AM

The only issues are the aforementioned airbag light that's stayed on, and the new issue of a sensor or two ****ing up. Outside of that and preventative maintenance, I've never had anything wrong.

10 years? It's time, dude.

Dante84
08-04-2014, 09:22 AM
10 years? It's time, dude.

I have no car payments. She looks good. She runs fine, save this issue.

I'm probably gonna run this baby into the ground.

Oxford
08-04-2014, 09:36 AM
Usually, I'm able to take it to a buddy or really any shop since its essentially a Nissan with earrings.

What I'm pissed about in this case is that I knew the issues, and they're absolutely related to two different recalls. A buck-forty for a "diagnosis" is bullshit, and it's very convenient for them that my VIN doesn't fit the recall.

Talk to the service manager, then if they won't do anything, ask to speak to the factory service rep for the area, or ask for the customer service number for service at Infinity. It might let them know you are serious about your complaint

chiefforlife
08-04-2014, 09:39 AM
They have to get you to authorize the Diagnosis fee, and they have to diagnose it.
Lets say they just install your cam and crank sensors at your request and that doesnt fix it?
Now you have wasted money and it still needs to be diagnosed.

Bowser
08-04-2014, 09:43 AM
If this were a recall issue, shouldn't you have received a notice in the mail and just told the dealership you were bringing it in for that work so they wouldn't have charged you an ass raping by letting the rookie hook it up to the computer to tell you what you already knew?

Dante84
08-04-2014, 09:47 AM
If this were a recall issue, shouldn't you have received a notice in the mail and just told the dealership you were bringing it in for that work so they wouldn't have charged you an ass raping by letting the rookie hook it up to the computer to tell you what you already knew?

Im not the original owner, it would have been sent out under the prior owner.

Regardless, my VIN doesn't apply to the recall, so my issue isnt with the service guys, its with the manufacturer not lumping my car into the group, when the issue is *most likely* related to the same issue.

Chief Pote
08-04-2014, 10:25 AM
Talk to the service manager, then if they won't do anything, ask to speak to the factory service rep for the area, or ask for the customer service number for service at Infinity. It might let them know you are serious about your complaint

Not gonna work. I owned a Maxima(first and last Nissan) and had a warranty issue. Nissan kindly told me to "piss up a rope in a wind storm" Okay so it wasn't a direct quote, but I can read between the lines.

Bugeater
08-04-2014, 11:48 AM
I had a similar issue with a Dodge Caravan years ago. It started leaking gas out of a joint in one of the fuel rails, and I did a bit of research online about it and sure enough there was a recall for it. So I called a local dealer, and they said the recall didn't apply to the model year I had, even though I had the same fucking engine that was in the models that were being recalled.

The kicker was they had external seals that they were using to repair the recalled vehicles, but since it was a recall part it wasn't available for sale to the general public, so my only choice was to spend $700 to replace the fuel rails. I ended up "fixing" the problem with JB Weld, and sold the damn thing shortly after that. Hopefully no one ended up dying a fiery death in it.

lewdog
08-04-2014, 03:55 PM
The Infinity G35 is the best looking car on the road IMO (I especially love the coupes) and I love the model your driving. Get that baby fixed and keep it. Sounds like she's been good to you so far.

08-04-2014, 04:04 PM
I get to pay nearly $500 for a fucking alternator today. JFC

SAUTO
08-04-2014, 04:28 PM
I get to pay nearly $500 for a fucking alternator today. JFC on what?
Posted via Mobile Device

KChiefs1
08-04-2014, 04:34 PM
I have no car payments. She looks good. She runs fine, save this issue.

I'm probably gonna run this baby into the ground.

Sounds like you already did.

HoneyBadger
08-04-2014, 04:47 PM
Let me guess, you have about 110,000 miles?

irocdave
08-04-2014, 04:54 PM
No way, an Asian car breaking down? Lol, sucks your having a problem with it. If it was a GM or Ford I'm sure lots of people would be piling on. Funning thing about people who own Asian or European based MFG's, something like this wouldn't faze their ownership experience, just part of owning a car. America car and it would just be proof it's a POS.

Sounds like the crank trigger is the problem.

hometeam
08-04-2014, 05:05 PM
I stood in a Nissan service bay as an advisor for over a year recently. Every, single, cam/crank sensor fails on every nissan. Have for years. They will fail and fail again. They can cause catastrophic failures, on and off stuff, minor issues, and on and on.

Also, as someone who dealt with Nissan warranty claims every day, your SOL.

GloucesterChief
08-04-2014, 05:52 PM
No way, an Asian car breaking down? Lol, sucks your having a problem with it. If it was a GM or Ford I'm sure lots of people would be piling on. Funning thing about people who own Asian or European based MFG's, something like this wouldn't faze their ownership experience, just part of owning a car. America car and it would just be proof it's a POS.

Sounds like the crank trigger is the problem.

No, just Nissans. Horribly built cars.

LoneWolf
08-04-2014, 05:59 PM
I get to pay nearly $500 for a ****ing alternator today. JFC

Holy shit balls, dude! Did the repair shop have KY or was the service manager wearing a T-shirt that said "Bite the pillow. I'm going in dry"? That's highway robbery for an alternator.

Al Bundy
08-04-2014, 06:25 PM
Holy shit balls, dude! Did the repair shop have KY or was the service manager wearing a T-shirt that said "Bite the pillow. I'm going in dry"? That's highway robbery for an alternator.

Ok.. I have had a migraine headache so bad all day I couldn't even get out of bed, but this made me laugh. Sorry you're having to go through this Dante.

irocdave
08-04-2014, 06:27 PM
Lol, it not just Nissans. Japan spent a fortune in the late 90's and 00's to condition consumers to think the way they do. Google Toyota frame rust, Honda or Toyota sludge or better yet currency manipulation. Consumers that go by ragazine articles and BS consumer type reports are just plain lazy and honestly are so conditioned that they just think it's normal to dump thousands in to a car that only has 100K on it. The thought process is" well at least it's not an US product, there even worse". Ignorance is bliss I suppose. Watched this irony play out over the 13 years.

cmh6476
08-04-2014, 06:28 PM
I hear people like Mazda3s

LoneWolf
08-04-2014, 06:31 PM
Lol, it not just Nissans. Japan spent a fortune in the late 90's and 00's to condition consumers to think the way they do. Google Toyota frame rust, Honda or Toyota sludge or better yet currency manipulation. Consumers that go by ragazine articles and BS consumer type reports are just plain lazy and honestly are so conditioned that they just think it's normal to dump thousands in to a car that only has 100K on it. The thought process is" well at least it's not an US product, there even worse". Ignorance is bliss I suppose. Watched this irony play out over the 13 years.

ROFL:clap:ROFL

I hope that was intentional.

New World Order
08-04-2014, 06:57 PM

The only issues are the aforementioned airbag light that's stayed on, and the new issue of a sensor or two ****ing up. Outside of that and preventative maintenance, I've never had anything wrong.

I drive a g37 and have not had one problem. I'll probably never buy another brand other than Infinity.

hometeam
08-04-2014, 06:59 PM
I drive a g37 and have not had one problem. I'll probably never buy another brand other than Infinity.

Your cam/crank sensors will go eventually :P

SAUTO
08-04-2014, 07:06 PM

Hard to say without knowing.
Posted via Mobile Device

08-05-2014, 12:42 AM
on what?
Posted via Mobile Device

on a damn alternator. Because its a Toyota the part itself was $308.

-King-
08-05-2014, 01:19 AM
on a damn alternator. Because its a Toyota the part itself was $308.

LMAO Pretty sure he was asking what kind of car you have.

08-05-2014, 02:38 AM

Called another mechanic just to check and they were about the same price. I wish I could just find my own personal mechanic.

I always feel like I am getting taken when it comes to mechanics. I know a guy that would probably have done this job much cheaper but he lives out of town and wouldn't have been able to get it done that day. Plus, I don't want to take advantage of him.

08-05-2014, 02:39 AM
LMAO Pretty sure he was asking what kind of car you have.

I was pissed at the time and missed what he was really asking about. 2009 Corolla sedan base model.

SAUTO
08-05-2014, 06:10 AM
I was pissed at the time and missed what he was really asking about. 2009 Corolla sedan base model.

someone is marking that part up quite a bit unless its at a dealer.

its under $200 any place you can walk into and buy it...

08-05-2014, 06:21 AM
someone is marking that part up quite a bit unless its at a dealer.

its under $200 any place you can walk into and buy it...

Doesn't matter now. Its not like I could tell them where to get it from unfortunately. My gut tells me they probably got it from Toyota. OR, they got it cheap from a autoparts store and charged me a Toyota rate. I'll never know though.

SAUTO
08-05-2014, 06:22 AM
Doesn't matter now. Its not like I could tell them where to get it from unfortunately. My gut tells me they probably got it from Toyota. OR, they got it cheap from a autoparts store and charged me a Toyota rate. I'll never know though.

highly doubtful a shop bought it from Toyota...but im hoping they did.

08-05-2014, 06:24 AM
highly doubtful a shop bought it from Toyota...but im hoping they did.

To be honest, I was shocked they were able to get it done as quick as they did. We didn't get it in to them until 4:30 and they were done at 5:35. Not sure how they got the part that quickly really. Of course, Toyota is only one mile away too.

SAUTO
08-05-2014, 06:25 AM
and over 150 bucks to install it?

it calls for .9 labor hours.

I would be looking for a new mechanic.

08-05-2014, 06:27 AM
and over 150 bucks to install it?

it calls for .9 labor hours.

I would be looking for a new mechanic.

They were right across the street from where we broke down. They would not have been my first choice other than convenience. At least now I know to never use them again.

SAUTO
08-05-2014, 06:29 AM
They were right across the street from where we broke down. They would not have been my first choice other than convenience. At least now I know to never use them again.

yeah I would say they made 250 or more to do a job that takes less than an hour.

seems quite steep to me.

08-05-2014, 06:41 AM
yeah I would say they made 250 or more to do a job that takes less than an hour.

seems quite steep to me.

OH well. Story of my life. Guess this is the balance for getting the extra Universal tickets.

08-05-2014, 04:03 PM
Spoke to my friend that has done a side job for me. Said that labor was pretty much what his place charges but the part was overpriced. wish there was something I could do about that.

hometeam
08-05-2014, 04:14 PM
So to go along with this let me give yall a little tip about part prices at dealers.

Say the alternator for your Toyota is 119 bucks at o'reillys, you can walk in and buy it for that price. Guess what the dealership pays for it? Closer to something like 219. Then guess what, you just bought it for 308.

Just thought I would throw that out there.

chiefforlife
08-05-2014, 04:24 PM
Spoke to my friend that has done a side job for me. Said that labor was pretty much what his place charges but the part was overpriced. wish there was something I could do about that.

It really depends on the quality of part they put on, if it was a Denso, you got a fair price.
If it was Oreilly, no. I wouldnt even install one from Oreillys or most places. Quality electrical is hard to come by but worth every penny.

08-05-2014, 05:22 PM
It really depends on the quality of part they put on, if it was a Denso, you got a fair price.
If it was Oreilly, no. I wouldnt even install one from Oreillys or most places. Quality electrical is hard to come by but worth every penny.

Sure hope you are right. This thing better last until we get rid of the car.

hometeam
08-05-2014, 05:52 PM
If it doesn't say on your ticket what the part was, you can be almost positive its an o'reilly re-manufactured one~

08-05-2014, 05:57 PM
XOR11386 Alternator-S

hometeam
08-05-2014, 06:01 PM
OR stands for o'reillys, bet.

edit: Found it - http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ULT1/11386/01468.oap?year=2009&make=Toyota&model=Corolla&vi=1442274&ck=Search_01468_1442274_-1&pt=01468&ppt=C0330

182 bucks if you would have bought it yourself. (and it IS a reman) Take that shit back to them and say hey dont **** me. Being a dealership they will sometimes cave to customer pressure. Hang the Service survey over there heads if you have too.

08-05-2014, 06:04 PM
OR stands for o'reillys, bet.

edit: Found it - http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ULT1/11386/01468.oap?year=2009&make=Toyota&model=Corolla&vi=1442274&ck=Search_01468_1442274_-1&pt=01468&ppt=C0330

186 bucks if you would have bought it yourself. Take that shit back to them and say hey dont **** me, being a dealership they will sometimes cave to that kind of pressure.

I didn't go to a dealership. I just said they were one mile from Toyota. This was a local mechanic shop.

hometeam
08-05-2014, 06:05 PM
I didn't go to a dealership. I just said they were one mile from Toyota. This was a local mechanic shop.

Oh. well fuck. You can still go bitch. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. But yea, your chances at Bobs repair shack are slim to none :(

08-05-2014, 06:25 PM
Oh. well ****. You can still go bitch. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. But yea, your chances at Bobs repair shack are slim to none :(I might call them and gripe just to ask why the $100 upcharge. But yea, I'm pretty much fucked here.

srvy
08-05-2014, 06:45 PM
Hell re-manufactured doesn't mean anything. Most everything is new but the case. Brushes and windings all redone. Only thing I could see is if OR stipulates to the contractor that rebuilds them what they consider to be a rebuild.

08-05-2014, 06:54 PM
Hell re-manufactured doesn't mean anything. Most everything is new but the case. Brushes and windings all redone. Only thing I could see is if OR stipulates to the contractor that rebuilds them what they consider to be a rebuild.I don't mind it being a rebuild. Most alternators are. For the price they charged me it should have been brand new.

CoMoChief
08-05-2014, 08:35 PM
I would never spend more than 15k on a car unless I'm filthy rich and bought a sports car or something as a toy or collectible. I just don't think it's worth the money when you add up the money you lose on it. It's a depreciating asset the moment you drive it off the lot. And if you're financing it then you're an even bigger fool.

Abba-Dabba
08-05-2014, 08:58 PM
To be honest, I was shocked they were able to get it done as quick as they did. We didn't get it in to them until 4:30 and they were done at 5:35. Not sure how they got the part that quickly really. Of course, Toyota is only one mile away too.

Parts delivery are always located close to auto repair/dealerships...

Hey Bob, this is Ben at Dover's Auto Repair. I need a alternator for a 2009 Toyota Corolla with a 1.8L.

Be there in 10, Ben.

Thanks, Bob.

Pretty much as simple as that.