PDA

View Full Version : Football NFL execs upset after Head of Officiating seen on Cowboys' party bus

tk13
08-07-2014, 10:44 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24652025/is-this-the-nfl-ref-czar-on-cowboys-party-bus-irate-nfl-execs-say-yes

"That's definitely Dean," said an official with one club upon viewing the video, in which a man looking very much like Blandino, in jeans and a blue t-shirt, steps off the bus along with Stephen Jones, son of Jerry Jones, who serves as the Cowboys COO, EVP and director of player personnel, and who is a member of the highly influential competition committee. "Is the league trying to tell you it's not him? What is the league telling you guys about it? That looks horrible. I can't think of another owner in the league who wouldn't be pissed off after seeing that."

Well, frankly the league is saying nothing. After receiving no response from the NFL on Tuesday as to whether Blandino -- who routinely makes rounds visiting with officials and clubs during the preseason -- was in the video, I made a second round of inquiries into the matter Thursday. Two spokesmen declined to say anything for the record. But no one came close to denying it was Blandino in the video, and the league could point out that with Jones on the competition committee, it's not unusual for him to spend considerable time with competition committee members.

But it would beyond disingenuous, to the point of insulting the public and other NFL member clubs, for anyone from the NFL to have the gall to claim this was anything close to resembling official business. At one point in the video there are a host of young girls assembled on the bus, and the bus is pulled right up in front of a club on the Sunset Strip.

Blandino has done an excellent job in his position, and is engaged and dynamic. Coaches and GMs enjoy dealing with him, he is always available and accessible, works tirelessly, and provides cogent explanations and recommendations to teams and media alike. Everyone I spoke to about the video raved about Blandino as a person and an official, but those same people were flabbergasted by the idea of someone in his position out partying on a team bus with an owner.

At issue is the perception of potential favoritism by other clubs, and the way these images are being perceived around the league.

"So, should I have my owner take him to a strip club when he visits us?" asked one team official, hypothetically. "Is that how it works? We like Dean a lot, but let me tell you, if that was him out with (the owner of a rival of the club this official works for), my owner would be going nuts. This just can't happen.

---

An official from another club said: "It's total hypocrisy. This is a league where some people are above the law, but if you are a coach or a player or a low-level team employee, look out -- they'll throw the book at you. They take away your pension. I'll give Stephen credit, at least they took a bus. (Colts owner Jim) Irsay should have got a bus a long time ago. Have they gotten around to disciplining him yet?"

Another longtime team official: "Whether or not this would in any way affect Dean's ability to be impartial with the Cowboys is really not the issue. This gives the appearance of impropriety. If I am a fan of a team facing the Cowboys, or I work for a team that's facing the Cowboys, I'm upset by this. There shouldn't be any situation like this going on that could cloud his judgment. How is this protecting the shield? The league loves to throw that term around when it applies to players. So how is this not an issue now?"

Another veteran NFL official: "If I were another team owner, how could I not be irate? It gives the appearance of impropriety, and looks like a particularly cozy relationship between a team and the officiating department at a time when instant replay is being taken over more and more by the league office. You're damn right I'd be irate."

Dayze
08-08-2014, 12:47 AM
lol. awesome.

Rasputin
08-08-2014, 01:02 AM
It doesn't mention the part of the Head of Officiating being the one to take pictures of Jerry & his Hoes in the bathroom..

Dayze
08-08-2014, 01:12 AM
rumored that there was also large white man, with a crick in his neck, also on the bus. his identity can't be confirmed due to the disguise. Witnessess recalled him being referred to as 'Omaha'

http://origin.arstechnica.com/journals/apple.media/nose_glasses.png

BullJunkandIron
08-08-2014, 06:55 AM
Jerra's world, learn to accept and appreciate not hate. Lot of love in that world.

WhawhaWhat
08-08-2014, 07:08 AM
Can we add this to the NFL is fixed thread?

beach tribe
08-08-2014, 11:00 AM
Can we add this to the NFL is fixed thread?

You could, but it would shoot down the believers' only explanation as to why the Cowboys suck year after year in a fixed league where their success is one of the biggest boons to the NFL's profit margin.

beach tribe
08-08-2014, 11:03 AM
Jerra's world, learn to accept and appreciate not hate. Lot of love in that world.

Jerrah was a moron for putting that huge 4:3 screen in his stadium.

The Jags out Jerry'd, Jerry with that super wide screen.

tk13
01-04-2015, 06:45 PM
Bumpity bump bump.

:)

Mr. Flopnuts
01-04-2015, 06:45 PM
BOOM!

KChiefs1
01-04-2015, 06:49 PM
Interesting.

Wallcrawler
01-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Explains why they picked up a flag for a blatant pass interference penalty against Dallas.

jjjayb
01-04-2015, 06:53 PM
Did he call down to the field and ask that the pass interference call be called off?

jjjayb
01-04-2015, 06:54 PM
Explains why they picked up a flag for a blatant pass interference penalty against Dallas.

Beat me to it.

gblowfish
01-04-2015, 06:57 PM
Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus!

tecumseh
01-04-2015, 07:12 PM
"Um, who do I make the check out to?" J.ajones

dannybcaitlyn
01-04-2015, 07:14 PM
Clark needs to take him to the Bunny Ranch! We need all the help we can get!

MahiMike
01-04-2015, 07:17 PM
Awesome! They were partying BEFORE the game!

Dayze
01-04-2015, 07:25 PM
Clark probably tried to buy off the same ref with a $50 to Applebee's and offered to go halves on 10-10 taxi.

Nzoner
01-04-2015, 07:28 PM
LMAO I had forgotten about this

Bowser
01-04-2015, 07:31 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/1gjdAX7.gif

chefsos
01-04-2015, 07:32 PM
I'd think that bus kind of stinks after a five month long party.

okcchief
01-04-2015, 09:54 PM
When the fuck is Clark going to start hooking up these refs with blow and prostitutes?

GloryDayz
01-05-2015, 12:03 AM
LOL, I wish every bad call (thinking back to any number of missed/non-called holds we suffered. Let's hope this changes that.

GloryDayz
01-05-2015, 12:04 AM
When the fuck is Clark going to start hooking up these refs with blow and prostitutes?
Monday I hope.

teedubya
01-05-2015, 01:29 AM
Was the head of officiating for this playoff game, the same dude that was on the bus back in August?

Is that what I'm seeing here?

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 06:02 AM
Don't make a fuss, just get on the bus!

'It's all good, 'boys. Yawl make the playoffs, we'll do the rest to make sure you at least get to the Divisional...'

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 06:04 AM
Was the head of officiating for this playoff game, the same dude that was on the bus back in August?

Yes.

And yet, grown, free-thinking adults somehow convince themselves that the NFL isn't rigged.

Lol.

Red Dawg
01-05-2015, 06:56 AM
Fire the ref immediately. What an idiot.

Dartgod
01-05-2015, 07:56 AM
Yes.

And yet, grown, free-thinking adults somehow convince themselves that the NFL isn't rigged.

Lol.

What? No he wasn't. Here is the complete officiating crew for that game. Morelli was the crew chief.

R: Pete Morelli
U: Roy Ellison
HL: Jerry Bergman
LJ: Mike Spanier
FJ: Barry Anderson
SJ: Allen Baynes
BJ: Lee Dyer
Replay official: Bob McGrath

http://www.footballzebras.com/2014/12/31/12208/

blaise
01-05-2015, 07:59 AM
Yes.

Lol.

You're an idiot.

BigChiefFan
01-05-2015, 10:08 AM

Wow. What was a gray area, now seems very black and white. That call was absurd.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-05-2015, 10:11 AM
ramjackson just sent a load to orbit

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 10:12 AM
You're an idiot.

At least I don't call people names on the internet.

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 10:14 AM
What? No he wasn't. Here is the complete officiating crew for that game. Morelli was the crew chief.

R: Pete Morelli
U: Roy Ellison
HL: Jerry Bergman
LJ: Mike Spanier
FJ: Barry Anderson
SJ: Allen Baynes
BJ: Lee Dyer
Replay official: Bob McGrath

http://www.footballzebras.com/2014/12/31/12208/

Not for this game.

The head of officiating for the entire NFL.

Morelli is just a referee. He's not the head of anything.

Dartgod
01-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Not for this game.

The head of officiating for the entire NFL.

Morelli is just a referee. He's not the head of anything.

So, your contention is that Dean Blandino somehow instructed Morelli to pickup the flag?

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 10:19 AM
Wow. What was a gray area, now seems very black and white. That call was absurd.

Shit is rigged, yo.

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 10:20 AM
So, your contention is that Dean Blandino somehow instructed Morelli to pickup the flag?

I don't know; did he??

All kinds of plausible deniability up in here.

Dartgod
01-05-2015, 10:22 AM
I don't know; did he??

All kinds of plausible deniability up in here.

So you confirm that you are just throwing shit on the wall?

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 10:29 AM
So you confirm that you are just throwing shit on the wall?

Nope. I will neither confirm nor deny any fecal throwing.

I'm just claiming plausible deniability.

I mean...you DID see how Detroit got royally screwed over, right?? Not just on the picking up the flag nonsense (which I agree with; Pettigrew pushed off as well - if anything, they should have offset and played the down over), but when #88 for the Cowboys walks onto the field from the sideline WITHOUT A HELMET and begins harassing the officials...

Well, that no-call was the most blatant part of the operation.

Tell me again how it's not rigged. Please. I dare you.

Dartgod
01-05-2015, 10:31 AM

I mean...you DID see how Detroit got royally screwed over, right?? Not just on the picking up the flag nonsense (which I agree with; Pettigrew pushed off as well - if anything, they should have offset and played the down over), but when #88 for the Cowboys walks onto the field from the sideline WITHOUT A HELMET and begins harassing the officials...

Shitty officiating does not = Rigged

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 10:32 AM

Whatever you have to tell yourself to believe the lie.

Dartgod
01-05-2015, 10:36 AM
Whatever you have to tell yourself to believe the lie.

I'm still waiting for concrete evidence. You have none.

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 10:54 AM
I'm still waiting for concrete evidence. You have none.

You can't find it if you aren't trying to see it.

GloryDayz
01-05-2015, 11:02 AM

Nope, I saw a crew that didn't call face-guarding (because it's not an NFL rule), I saw a ball hit the DB in the back, I saw a lot contact both ways in the "hand-fighting" catagory, I saw a WR grab a DB's face mask, and that's about it.

Now, if your point is that in the current NFL that set of circumstances usually results in the offense being awarded a bullshit DPI penalty, then I'll agree that those bullshit calls are made WAAAAAY too often and we all know that's part of what's killing football as a sport.

If this is a dawn of a new era where defense is once again not illegal, than I'd say "FINALLY"!!!! And if they can, somehow, add two more officials to the field to ONLY watch the O-line for holding, then I'd say the NFL is taking steps in the right direction.

But to focus on the both-ways hand fighting and mutual contact that didn't result in a DPI getting called (ultimately), well that's just a little short-sighted...

TEX
01-05-2015, 11:03 AM

:clap: Exactly...

gblowfish
01-05-2015, 11:04 AM
Meet Pete Morelli, yesterday's white hat:

TEX
01-05-2015, 11:04 AM

Consistently bad = reasonable doubt

Dartgod
01-05-2015, 11:11 AM

Yeah, THAT guy is capable of rigging a game.

Dartgod
01-05-2015, 11:12 AM
Consistently bad = reasonable doubt

But there has to be a smoking gun somewhere, right?

Right?

GloryDayz
01-05-2015, 11:15 AM

The look is prolly a result of him being a DB is the past and having had a WR grab his facemask, threw him to the ground causing a concussion, and hurt his neck too. You gotta admit the crimes perpetrated by WRs and O-lines these days are one of the NFLs biggest unaddressed issues.

Nzoner
01-05-2015, 12:05 PM
but when #88 for the Cowboys walks onto the field from the sideline WITHOUT A HELMET and begins harassing the officials...

I remember some years ago when the Chiefs were benefactors of I believe Rudd removing his helmet with the Browns thus adding a penalty which put KC in FG range and they won the game as the clock expired.

blaise
01-05-2015, 12:21 PM

so....you don't have any.

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 02:21 PM
I remember some years ago when the Chiefs were benefactors of I believe Rudd removing his helmet with the Browns thus adding a penalty which put KC in FG range and they won the game as the clock expired.

Cleveland 2002, opening day.

And Rudd thought the play was over and was celebrating.

Dez went TO AN OFFICIAL WITH HIS HELMET OFF - FROM THE SIDELINE!! HE WASN'T EVEN INVOLVED IN THE PLAY ON THE FIELD!!!!

That 15 and a Detroit 1st down, by rule.

Unsportsmanlike.

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 02:22 PM
so....you don't have any.

Ever hear the old cliche about leading a horse to water??

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 02:24 PM
The look is prolly a result of him being a DB is the past and having had a WR grab his facemask, threw him to the ground causing a concussion, and hurt his neck too. You gotta admit the crimes perpetrated by WRs and O-lines these days are one of the NFLs biggest unaddressed issues.
Do you mean, on the field transgressions, or the ruggish thuggish off-field activity??

teedubya
01-05-2015, 03:46 PM
I don't know if it's a conspiracy or not... but I do fucking hate the Cowboys.

blaise
01-05-2015, 05:10 PM
Ever hear the old cliche about leading a horse to water??

I know what facts and proof are.

BWillie
01-05-2015, 05:17 PM

How on EARTH was that pass interference? The ball hit the DB in the back, once it hit him in the back both defenders fell down from incidental contact. I don't get it at all. You CAN face guard in the NFL.

DenverChief
01-05-2015, 05:57 PM
You CAN face guard in the NFL.

http://fat.gfycat.com/IdioticLivelyDavidstiger.gif

Straight from the NFL Rulebook:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

Pretty clear to me

Deberg_1990
01-05-2015, 06:00 PM
Blandino says PI should have been called.

Sorry LionFan....,

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-aftermath/0ap3000000454594/Blandino-clarifies-non-pass-interference-call?campaign=Facebook_videos_blandino

GloryDayz
01-05-2015, 06:38 PM
Do you mean, on the field transgressions, or the ruggish thuggish off-field activity??I doubt they wear helmets when they are out drinking.

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 06:39 PM
I doubt they wear helmets when they are out drinking.

Touche, my 'n-word'...Tou-fuckin'-che.

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 06:41 PM
How on EARTH was that pass interference? The ball hit the DB in the back, once it hit him in the back both defenders fell down from incidental contact. I don't get it at all. You CAN face guard in the NFL.

It was PI - on the offense.

The part that isn't shown in that .gif is Pettigrew pushing off.

Anyway you slice it, Detroit got robbed.

Bearcat
01-05-2015, 06:47 PM

Well, it's like Hali being held 400 times per game or the 500 bad spots every Chiefs game or thinking the teams with the best QBs get all the calls.... if you try hard enough to see it, I'm sure you can convince yourself it's there.

I just don't see why the NFL would care so much in most cases.... Cowboys had won one playoff game in like 17 years, but now they care? Peyton is the NFL's love child, but not enough to actually win much of anything outside of playing Rex Grossman?

I could see them swaying outcomes by emphasizing rules before/during games and stuff like that, but I just don't see the huge benefit of making sure the Cowboys win over the Lions in that case. Hell, I'd be more willing to accept the Patriots/Ravens being rigged for Brady/Manning or Brady/Luck. The risk/reward of rigging games and it eventually being leaked is just not there. Well, except that time the Saints won the SB... that was super weird, right?

GloryDayz
01-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Well, it's like Hali being held 400 times per game or the 500 bad spots every Chiefs game or thinking the teams with the best QBs get all the calls.... if you try hard enough to see it, I'm sure you can convince yourself it's there.

I just don't see why the NFL would care so much in most cases.... Cowboys had won one playoff game in like 17 years, but now they care? Peyton is the NFL's love child, but not enough to actually win much of anything outside of playing Rex Grossman?

I could see them swaying outcomes by emphasizing rules before/during games and stuff like that, but I just don't see the huge benefit of making sure the Cowboys win over the Lions in that case. Hell, I'd be more willing to accept the Patriots/Ravens being rigged for Brady/Manning or Brady/Luck. The risk/reward of rigging games and it eventually being leaked is just not there. Well, except that time the Saints won the SB... that was super weird, right?

If you're saying that "by the letter of the rules" (as written or as understood) that our two DEs aren't held A LOT, you're crazy! If they applied the same ticky-tack mindset to the O-line holding as they do in 99.999937615% of DBs "DPIing" a QB's WR, life would be awesome for the three weeks where the NFL's total scoring (across the league) is like 100 points.

Marcellus
01-05-2015, 07:34 PM

And there is the key.

The NFL as a whole is filthy stinking rich, they don't need to rig anything for rating etc...they will still be just fine.

We had the Rams and Titans in a SB for fuck sake. 2 towns nobody gives a shit about in the football world except their own fans.
The Ravens and the Panthers? Same.

I would also love to be in the room where the decide who they are going to favor and how they are going to go about it. They cant get personal conduct penalties right and consistent but they are fixing games with no problems.

Yea right.

Bearcat
01-05-2015, 07:40 PM
If you're saying that "by the letter of the rules" (as written or as understood) that our two DEs aren't held A LOT, you're crazy! If they applied the same ticky-tack mindset to the O-line holding as they do in 99.999937615% of DBs "DPIing" a QB's WR, life would be awesome for the three weeks where the NFL's total scoring (across the league) is like 100 points.

I'm saying it's not significantly better/worse for anyone similar to Hali (obviously, if you suck at DE, you're not going to get held as much). People don't watch for how many times their own linemen get away with holding or pay attention nearly as much when their team isn't playing.

GloryDayz
01-05-2015, 08:05 PM
I'm saying it's not significantly better/worse for anyone similar to Hali (obviously, if you suck at DE, you're not going to get held as much). People don't watch for how many times their own linemen get away with holding or pay attention nearly as much when their team isn't playing.

I'd be fine with our O-line getting flagged for holding too.

rabblerouser
01-05-2015, 11:34 PM
I'd be fine with our O-line getting flagged for holding too.

Hell, that would mean that they would be getting in defender's lanes, and...you know...trying to stop them.

That would be a refreshing change, ideally.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-05-2015, 11:35 PM
The problem with the rules is this...When you have the head of officials on TV saying they "could" have called Dez for a 15 yarder based on the interepertation, but he's ok that they didn't. That leads to serious issues when they do call it. Same with Detroit getting called for two drive extending penalties shortly after the no call on Pettigrew. It's either a damn penalty every time or it isn't.

Discuss Thrower
01-05-2015, 11:36 PM
The problem with the rules is this...When you have the head of officials on TV saying they "could" have called Dez for a 15 yarder based on the interepertation, but he's ok that they didn't. That leads to serious issues when they do call it. Same with Detroit getting called for two drive extending penalties shortly after the no call on Pettigrew. It's either a damn penalty every time or it isn't.

Yup. What is and what isn't pass interference has to be simplified so a man watching without the aid of instant replay can make the call accurately 75% of the time. What is and what isn't offensive holding has to be simplified such that it can be called accurately 95% of the time.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-05-2015, 11:42 PM
Yup. What is and what isn't pass interference has to be simplified so a man watching without the aid of instant replay can make the call accurately 75% of the time. What is and what isn't offensive holding has to be simplified such that it can be called accurately 95% of the time.

It also pissed me off hearing during a game Sunday the emphasis on only overturning calls with overwhelming evidence to confirm...only for KC to get fucked half a dozen times down the stretch on overturns that weren't even close.

chiefzilla1501
01-05-2015, 11:44 PM
http://fat.gfycat.com/IdioticLivelyDavidstiger.gif

Straight from the NFL Rulebook:

(a) Contact by a defender who is not playing the ball and such contact restricts the receiver’s opportunity to make the catch.

Pretty clear to me

In addition to defensive holding
In addition to Dez Bryant not getting flagged for having his helmet off while arguing the call

Dallas got away with highway robbery here

Pasta Little Brioni
01-05-2015, 11:47 PM
Baghdad Blandino only made things worse. The rules are written so poorly that any call can be defended by the league as correct due to interpretation.

Marcellus
01-06-2015, 07:25 AM
In addition to defensive holding
In addition to Dez Bryant not getting flagged for having his helmet off while arguing the call

Dallas got away with highway robbery here

As has been stated multiple times, before this gif begins Pettigrew pushed off of the LB 2x including once off his facemask which is a blatant hands to the face.

Chiefnj2
01-06-2015, 07:30 AM
As has been stated multiple times, before this gif begins Pettigrew pushed off of the LB 2x including once off his facemask which is a blatant hands to the face.

Offsetting penalties, repeat third down. Detroit still got screwed.

keg in kc
01-06-2015, 07:45 AM
Offsetting penalties, repeat third down. Detroit still got screwed.Yep.

There's really no way to rationalize this one for me. They made the call on the field, announced it to the world. And then minutes later picked up the flag with no explanation and continued on like nothing out of the ordinary had happened. I've admittedly only been watching the nfl as an adult for about 20 years but I've never seen anything like it. I don't know if there was anything questionable actually going on but that was the worst way they could have handled it. Acknowledge the change, better yet explain what's going on. Don't act like a kid trying to hide something you shoplifted behind your back. It's a broadcast with millions of eyes on them. They can't hide what they're doing. They just look guilty now, even if they did nothing wrong.

Perhaps even more key is that that to me was perhaps the most egregious instance of officiating altering the flow of a game that I have ever seen. That kind of thing shouldn't be allowed to happen at any time, much less a playoff situation. Detroit could have stemmed the tide by not shanking the punt or by stopping the Dallas offense but that play was the cornerstone of everything that followed.

Chiefnj2
01-06-2015, 07:57 AM
It was a baffling momentum killer that caused a sub-par head coach to roll over and let it affect the team.

Mr. Flopnuts
01-06-2015, 08:14 AM
What's the argument? They said they fucked up. Case closed.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-06-2015, 09:18 AM
What's the argument? They said they fucked up. Case closed.

Detroit Cincy and Cleveland are our brothers in futility. These things seem to happen quite a bit to us.

rabblerouser
01-06-2015, 10:12 AM
Detroit Cincy and Cleveland are our brothers in futility. These things seem to happen quite a bit to us.

What??

The worst owners in the league have the worst teams??

MagicHef
01-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Cleveland 2002, opening day.

And Rudd thought the play was over and was celebrating.

Dez went TO AN OFFICIAL WITH HIS HELMET OFF - FROM THE SIDELINE!! HE WASN'T EVEN INVOLVED IN THE PLAY ON THE FIELD!!!!

That 15 and a Detroit 1st down, by rule.

Unsportsmanlike.

There's no rule about being on the field without a helmet. The rule is about players on the field REMOVING their helmet. Technically Dez did not commit a penalty.

Section 3 Unsportsmanlike Conduct
Article 1 There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct. This applies to any act which is contrary to the generally understood principles of sportsmanship. Such acts specifically include, among others:

REMOVAL OF HELMET
(h) Removal of his helmet by a player in the field of play during a celebration or during a confrontation with a game official or any other player.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

Chiefnj2
01-06-2015, 10:54 AM
There's no rule about being on the field without a helmet. The rule is about players on the field REMOVING their helmet. Technically Dez did not commit a penalty.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/15_Rule12_Player_Conduct.pdf

You are telling me any player can walk off the sidelines to argue with a ref in the middle of the field and it isn't a penalty? Everyone and their uncle has agreed it can be a penalty at the discretion of the ref.

DaFace
01-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Yep.

There's really no way to rationalize this one for me. They made the call on the field, announced it to the world. And then minutes later picked up the flag with no explanation and continued on like nothing out of the ordinary had happened. I've admittedly only been watching the nfl as an adult for about 20 years but I've never seen anything like it. I don't know if there was anything questionable actually going on but that was the worst way they could have handled it. Acknowledge the change, better yet explain what's going on. Don't act like a kid trying to hide something you shoplifted behind your back. It's a broadcast with millions of eyes on them. They can't hide what they're doing. They just look guilty now, even if they did nothing wrong.

Perhaps even more key is that that to me was perhaps the most egregious instance of officiating altering the flow of a game that I have ever seen. That kind of thing shouldn't be allowed to happen at any time, much less a playoff situation. Detroit could have stemmed the tide by not shanking the punt or by stopping the Dallas offense but that play was the cornerstone of everything that followed.

As much as people give Hochuli shit for his long, drawn-out explanations, his style certainly would have been preferable to just pretending like nothing happened here.

MagicHef
01-06-2015, 11:17 AM
You are telling me any player can walk off the sidelines to argue with a ref in the middle of the field and it isn't a penalty? Everyone and their uncle has agreed it can be a penalty at the discretion of the ref.

Any player can walk off the sidelines into the field of play between plays. This is how substitutions work. The official could have flagged Dez if he felt his arguing was egregious/offensive enough to be unsportsmanlike, but that obviously wasn't the case.

Dez didn't commit a penalty.

rabblerouser
01-06-2015, 11:21 AM
Any player can walk off the sidelines into the field of play between plays. This is how substitutions work. The official could have flagged Dez if he felt his arguing was egregious/offensive enough to be unsportsmanlike, but that obviously wasn't the case.

Dez didn't commit a penalty.

Being on the field without a helmet Is a penalty - or it used to be, anyway.

rabblerouser
01-06-2015, 11:23 AM

Did he have his helmet off while confronting the officials (about the play that he wasn't even on the field for)??

MagicHef
01-06-2015, 11:23 AM

No, it's not, which I showed by quoting the rulebook 5 posts ago.

DaFace
01-06-2015, 11:24 AM

Na, it's always been that you can't remove it as a player on the field. It's not a penalty to put a foot on the field without a helmet.

rabblerouser
01-06-2015, 11:24 AM
No, it's not, which I showed by quoting the rulebook 5 posts ago.

And I responded to that with a question.

MagicHef
01-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Did he have his helmet off while confronting the officials (about the play that he wasn't even on the field for)??

Um... yes.

rabblerouser
01-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Na, it's always been that you can't remove it as a player on the field. It's not a penalty to put a foot on the field without a helmet.

What about confronting the officials about a play you weren't even on the field for??

I'm just saying, if Todd Haley got an unsportsmanlike against the Jets for dropping an f-bomb, then Dez easily gets a 15 yarder in Dallas on Sunday.

Read his lips on the replay.

rabblerouser
01-06-2015, 11:27 AM
Um... yes.

You don't agree that is unsportsmanlike? ?

You must be a Cowboys fan

Mr. Laz
01-06-2015, 11:29 AM
There is a 'get back' coach for a reason.

Players that aren't in the game aren't supposed to cross the white line.

A player without a helmet is clearly not in the game or getting ready to sub into the game.

At the very least the Ref should have given the bench a warning.

I believe it's a unsportmanlike conduct penalty for bench personnel crossing onto the field.

DaFace
01-06-2015, 11:29 AM
What about confronting the officials about a play you weren't even on the field for??

I'm just saying, if Todd Haley got an unsportsmanlike against the Jets for dropping an f-bomb, then Dez easily gets a 15 yarder in Dallas on Sunday.

The gripe about defensive holding is legit. The gripe about the lack of a PI call is arguable. The gripe about how it was all handled is legit.

The gripe about Dez isn't valid. Players are allowed to gripe about calls as long as they aren't being abusive toward the officials. That's all there is to it.

MagicHef
01-06-2015, 11:30 AM

Not a penalty.

So now we're changing the reason for the penalty, now it should be for language? Do you have any evidence to show what he said?

rabblerouser
01-06-2015, 11:36 AM
Not a penalty.

So now we're changing the reason for the penalty, now it should be for language? Do you have any evidence to show what he said?
I don't, just lip reading. I think Dez got a pass for a reason.

Let's say, that if roles were reversed and it had been Suh coming on the field from the sidelines with no helmet, then the refs throw the flag.

It's a judgement call, I get that.

As for the PI...It's offensive AND defensive :

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z164/telepicker97/Mobile%20Uploads/10897738_1545493449070136_5566738171432384326_n_zpsdd472ee7.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/telepicker97/media/Mobile%20Uploads/10897738_1545493449070136_5566738171432384326_n_zpsdd472ee7.jpg.html)

Should've been offsetting and replay the down at LEAST.

Detroit got robbed.

rabblerouser
01-06-2015, 11:37 AM

A player without a helmet is clearly not in the game or getting ready to sub into the game.

I believe it's a unsportmanlike conduct penalty for bench personnel crossing onto the field.

It is.

Or was.

MagicHef
01-06-2015, 11:37 AM

Nope, the refs have no say as to which personnel Dallas gets to have on the field, Dez could have been running on to take part in the next play. The fact that he obviously wasn't is still subjective, and doesn't matter. Dez did not break any rule.

rabblerouser
01-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Nope, the refs have no say as to which personnel Dallas gets to have on the field, Dez could have been running on to take part in the next play. The fact that he obviously wasn't is still subjective, and doesn't matter. Dez did not break any rule.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z164/telepicker97/Mobile%20Uploads/10898214_10153054594633336_3133297854673818680_n_zpsf40c5236.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/telepicker97/media/Mobile%20Uploads/10898214_10153054594633336_3133297854673818680_n_zpsf40c5236.jpg.html)

Pasta Little Brioni
01-06-2015, 12:17 PM

Yup. Hef is wrong again....like usual. THE HEAD OF OFFICIATING said it COULD have been called, but let's listen to a bronco fan that doesn't watch games. That's why they should burn the rule book. Too many interpretations make the game completely unfair as they just make calls when they see fit.

DaFace
01-06-2015, 12:19 PM
Yup. Hef is wrong again....like usual. THE HEAD OF OFFICIATING said it COULD have been called, but let's listen to a bronco fan that doesn't watch games.

You guys are reaching here. He's never said it COULDN'T be a penalty - only that being on the field without a helmet on isn't grounds for it.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Not at all. It very much could have been called. He said in that particular play Dez could have been penalized. The rulebook is a joke.

MagicHef
01-06-2015, 12:24 PM
Yup. Hef is wrong again....like usual. THE HEAD OF OFFICIATING said it COULD have been called, but let's listen to a bronco fan that doesn't watch games. That's why they should burn the rule book. Too many interpretations make the game completely unfair as they just make calls when they see fit.

If you read post #86, you'll see that I also say the the ref could have flagged Dez. In fact, my opinion in that post is basically identical to Blandino's:

"It's not an automatic penalty," Blandino noted. "It's the officials' discretion whether they felt that he was out on the field confronting them in an unsportsmanlike way. In that situation, the officials had some discretion and they felt that it didn't warrant a penalty. They just moved him back onto the sideline. If they had flagged him, I'd support it, but it's not an automatic."

Also, I think you're confusing me with Knowmo. I watch football.

MagicHef
01-06-2015, 12:31 PM
You guys are reaching here. He's never said it COULDN'T be a penalty - only that being on the field without a helmet on isn't grounds for it.

Don't worry about it. I'm not sure PGM has ever read a post of mine correctly.

In fact, he managed to read your post incorrectly as well.

Pasta Little Brioni
01-06-2015, 12:33 PM
Meh I just like trolling ya brah. I do hate how NFL games are called with a passion. The game has been a damn joke this season with the head officials in the booths spinning their asses off....Whilst 75 percent of the time disagreeing with the call on the field, but still saying it could be a correct call based off the individual refs interpretation :rolleyes:

notorious
01-06-2015, 12:49 PM
People are arguing that Dez shouldn't have gotten a penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct?

Arguing for the sake of arguing. ROFL

Mr. Laz
01-06-2015, 01:02 PM
The real point that pisses people off is that there is too much inconsistency in penalties.

Penalties seem to depend on the player/team/situation rather than the action itself.

touch Tom Brady = roughing
body slam some middle tier QB = maybe, maybe not

pick play for most teams = penalty
pick play for Denver = no penalty

fuckheads pick and choose when/where to call stuff and THEY SEEM to play favorites

Tamba Hali should be suing some bitches. They cost him dozens of career sacks by allowing OTs to use a chokehold on him.

GloryDayz
01-06-2015, 01:35 PM
LOL, the helmet whining just makes me smile. We see the NFL take a step in the right direction (reversed a dumb DPI call - like so many of them are!), and then didn't crucify a player for his helmet being off (a totally dumb rule!), and so many are mad.

If you're mad here, I'm sure it's more to do with your distaste for the Cowboys than the rule.

Like I've said, we've seen that DPI called a million times, and that's a million times too many IMO, so I'm not only happy that one sane official said that's it's bullshit, and the helmet rule is just a dumb angle to want to stick it to the Cowboys (or any player for that matter). And, perhaps, the dissenting official said they they need to reverse it or he'd drop a flag (a very late flag) and ring-up the WR for the facemask infraction.

"I" find it funny how everybody saw everything the Cowboys might have done on that play and none of what the Lion did.. Like it's only cool to be ticky-tack with the defense...

notorious
01-06-2015, 01:37 PM
I want to see the entire bench empty onto the field with their helmets off after a 3rd down and yell at the refs.

GloryDayz
01-06-2015, 01:48 PM
I want to see the entire bench empty onto the field with their helmets off after a 3rd down and yell at the refs.

Me too. If they do it on their own 49, the 15 yards might be a welcome cushion for the punter...

And all joking aside, I mean it. If the players want to see some change, they may have to upstage "the man" to get the conversation "out there" so "the man" can explain why it's so important that players remain anonymous in this sport. They'll avoid answering the question, but over time they'll have to offer-up a reason.

Oh, and I'll renew my opinion that the defense needs to break off into their own union. I know it would muddy-up the gears a bit, but who's out there defending their position when "labor" is at the table? It's not like most industries don't have multiple unions representing their client's specific discipline, and I think this might be another example of one that might at least get some of the bullshit the league is pushing-out questioned.

The Franchise
01-06-2015, 02:47 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NFL admitted to Lions today that officials missed a hold on Ndamukong Suh on the 4th-down conversion from Tony... <a href="http://t.co/E14FCc3iwr">http://t.co/E14FCc3iwr</a></p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/552566471638130688">January 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DaFace
01-06-2015, 03:19 PM

They'd probably be flagged for unsportsmanlike conduct, but their lack of helmets wouldn't have anything to do with it. :)

Hootie
01-06-2015, 03:22 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NFL admitted to Lions today that officials missed a hold on Ndamukong Suh on the 4th-down conversion from Tony... <a href="http://t.co/E14FCc3iwr">http://t.co/E14FCc3iwr</a></p>— Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/552566471638130688">January 6, 2015</a></blockquote>
If all of that happened to the Chiefs in a playoff game ... it might have finally been my tipping point

GloryDayz
01-06-2015, 03:43 PM
<iframe title="Embedded Tweet" style="display: block; max-width: 99%; min-width: 220px; padding: 0px; border-radius: 5px; margin: 10px 0px; border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); -moz-border-top-colors: none; -moz-border-right-colors: none; -moz-border-bottom-colors: none; -moz-border-left-colors: none; border-image: none; box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.15); position: static; visibility: visible; width: 500px;" allowfullscreen="" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" height="212"></iframe>
<script async="" src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Water is wet!

They seem to miss holds on most plays (unless it's a DB "holding a WR!!), what's their point?
<iframe style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true" scrolling="no" id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0"></iframe>

LiL stumppy
01-06-2015, 04:27 PM
The gripe about defensive holding is legit. The gripe about the lack of a PI call is arguable. The gripe about how it was all handled is legit.

The gripe about Dez isn't valid. Players are allowed to gripe about calls as long as they aren't being abusive toward the officials. That's all there is to it.

Players are not allowed to enter the field of play if they are not already on the field, especially without a helmet

rabblerouser
01-06-2015, 04:34 PM
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>NFL admitted to Lions today that officials missed a hold on Ndamukong Suh on the 4th-down conversion from Tony... <a href="http://t.co/E14FCc3iwr">http://t.co/E14FCc3iwr</a></p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/552566471638130688">January 6, 2015</a></blockquote>

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z164/telepicker97/Mobile%20Uploads/10919059_10153054594833336_7575878543634627730_n_zps4bed0a85.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/telepicker97/media/Mobile%20Uploads/10919059_10153054594833336_7575878543634627730_n_zps4bed0a85.jpg.html)
Players are not allowed to enter the field of play if they are not already on the field, especially without a helmet

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z164/telepicker97/tumblr_m6ha2uyfh71rwcc6bo1_400_zpsvi4gvsdn.gif (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/telepicker97/media/tumblr_m6ha2uyfh71rwcc6bo1_400_zpsvi4gvsdn.gif.html)

DaFace
01-06-2015, 04:36 PM

I'll wait while you produce the language from the rule book that states that. (Hint - it's not in there.)

Hootie
01-06-2015, 04:42 PM
you can't call a penalty on Dez for that ... that's stupid ... it impacted the play exactly 0%

people need to get over that right now

MagicHef
01-06-2015, 04:43 PM
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z164/telepicker97/Mobile%20Uploads/10919059_10153054594833336_7575878543634627730_n_zps4bed0a85.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/telepicker97/media/Mobile%20Uploads/10919059_10153054594833336_7575878543634627730_n_zps4bed0a85.jpg.html)

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z164/telepicker97/tumblr_m6ha2uyfh71rwcc6bo1_400_zpsvi4gvsdn.gif (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/telepicker97/media/tumblr_m6ha2uyfh71rwcc6bo1_400_zpsvi4gvsdn.gif.html)

This isn't nearly the same thing as Suh's. Stop being an idiot.

https://v.cdn.vine.co/r/videos/505C6271361163698348411232256_22d46b410d7.5.1.4879594686050648497.mp4?versionId=H2.mdEU.7fqL.mwQM706 YR91SabIJc_Y

Mr. Laz
01-06-2015, 04:45 PM
NFL Admits Errors on Two Controversial Plays in Lions vs. Cowboys
By Joseph Zucker , Featured Columnist Jan 5, 2015

NFL Admits Errors on Two Controversial Plays in Lions vs. Cowboys AP I

Dean Blandino, the NFL's head of officiating, revealed to Mike Florio on PFT Live that the officials in Sunday's Wild Card Game between the Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowboys made an error in judgment on a contentious pass interference no-call in the fourth quarter, via Pro Football Talk's Michael David Smith.

On Tuesday, the NFL admitted the officials missed a hold on Ndamukong Suh on a critical 4th down.

rabblerouser
01-06-2015, 04:47 PM
you can't call a penalty on Dez for that ... that's stupid ... it impacted the play exactly 0%

people need to get over that right now

Well, why have anything regarding helmets in the rule book at all??

Fuck, why even have any rules if the refs get to pick and choose what they enforce and how they enforce it??

This cartoon is jumping the shark.

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z164/telepicker97/Mobile%20Uploads/10405637_763551477071848_6460668651618195475_n_zpsc2685933.jpg (http://s193.photobucket.com/user/telepicker97/media/Mobile%20Uploads/10405637_763551477071848_6460668651618195475_n_zpsc2685933.jpg.html)

rabblerouser
01-06-2015, 04:49 PM
NFL Admits Errors on Two Controversial Plays in Lions vs. Cowboys
By Joseph Zucker , Featured Columnist Jan 5, 2015

NFL Admits Errors on Two Controversial Plays in Lions vs. Cowboys AP I

Dean Blandino, the NFL's head of officiating, revealed to Mike Florio on PFT Live that the officials in Sunday's Wild Card Game between the Detroit Lions and Dallas Cowboys made an error in judgment on a contentious pass interference no-call in the fourth quarter, via Pro Football Talk's Michael David Smith.

On Tuesday, the NFL admitted the officials missed a hold on Ndamukong Suh on a critical 4th down.

'Ooops. We'll have to take an "our bad, dawg" on this one. Sorry Detroit. Meanwhile, everyone be sure to tune in to ICE BOWL II : THE REMATCH as Dallas travels to Green Bay in the postseason for the first time since the iconic 1967 classic...'

Pasta Little Brioni
01-06-2015, 05:56 PM
I am suuuuuure the apology will make the fans feel good! Teams like KC and Detroit always seem to be on the short end of these game changing calls in close games. The game is a fucking joke.

Dartgod
01-06-2015, 06:04 PM

The play was over. How is that illegal?

blaise
01-07-2015, 05:28 AM
'Ooops. We'll have to take an "our bad, dawg" on this one. Sorry Detroit. Meanwhile, everyone be sure to tune in to ICE BOWL II : THE REMATCH as Dallas travels to Green Bay in the postseason for the first time since the iconic 1967 classic...'

Yeah all the kids are just dying for an Ice Bowl rematch.

Marcellus
01-07-2015, 07:31 AM
So how do they decide what years they are going to favor certain teams?

Is it just Goodell involved or do all 32 owners work in collusion?

If not all 32 is there a secret society, basically a a Knights Templar of the NFL who get to be in the inner circle without the other owners knowing?

How many people exactly does it take to pull this off or is it simple direction telling the head official not to throw as many flags against one team?

What is the end game motivation for all of this? How much $ difference does it make the the league depending on what teams are in the playoffs? Aren't the TV contracts already secured prior to the playoffs starting? Maybe its the TV networks driving it! Then again only 1 network gets the SB.

This is all so complicated. I am still amazed they can pull this off yet cant get Ray Rice's punishment correct out the gate.

tomahawk kid
01-07-2015, 08:53 AM
The real point that pisses people off is that there is too much inconsistency in penalties.

Penalties seem to depend on the player/team/situation rather than the action itself.

touch Tom Brady = roughing
body slam some middle tier QB = maybe, maybe not

pick play for most teams = penalty
pick play for Denver = no penalty

****heads pick and choose when/where to call stuff and THEY SEEM to play favorites

Tamba Hali should be suing some bitches. They cost him dozens of career sacks by allowing OTs to use a chokehold on him.

Nail. Head.

BigChiefFan
01-07-2015, 12:59 PM

Lol.