PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Ryan McKee could be our swing tackle. Who?

Direckshun
08-09-2014, 09:44 PM
So, here's something ****ed up.

The backup line looked extremely good on Thursday. I've argued before on this forum that this is the best backup line we've had in my time as a Chiefs fan.

This was the line that slaughtered on Thursday:

LT: Ryan Harris
LG: Ricky Henry
C: Eric Kush
RG: Rishaw Johnson
RT: Ryan McKee

Give these guys a round of applause. They played extremely well. I think the lowest grade would go to Eric Kush, but even then I'd grade him about a B.

But I think, the really ****ed up thing is, some UDFA named Ryan McKee deserves consideration to be the Chiefs' swing tackle, over more established vets like Ryan Harris and J'Marcus Webb.

McKee played his nutsack off. He looks a bit slender, like Eric Fisher did last year, but he is extremely athletic and protects the edge very well. I graded him out as an A.

Bowser
08-09-2014, 09:44 PM
Obligatory "it was one preseason game" response.

Bowser
08-09-2014, 09:45 PM
And btw, if this McKee kid earns it, more power to him. I've never been a big fan of either Harris or Webb.

Direckshun
08-09-2014, 09:48 PM
He played what, 40 snaps? That's a pretty decent snapshot.

He was also lined up against Margus Hunt for most of those.

TribalElder
08-09-2014, 09:49 PM
He supplanted fisher ROFL

LoneWolf
I'd grade him about a B.

I graded him out as an A.

:LOL:

Let me know when anyone gives a steaming pile of shit what grade you give a player.

Direckshun
He supplanted fisher ROFL

LMAO

Direckshun
08-09-2014, 09:50 PM
:LOL:

Let me know when anyone gives a steaming pile of shit what grade you give a player.

I don't think anybody gives a shit what either of us say.

That said, how do you think McKee played? I think he looked outstanding.

LoneWolf
08-09-2014, 09:55 PM
I don't think anybody gives a shit what either of us say.

That said, how do you think McKee played? I think he looked outstanding.

I thought the second unit as a whole looked good, but I was watching the game while preparing a presentation for a workshop I was teaching the next day. I'm not narcissistic enough to think my understanding of offensive line play is good enough to grade players like I'm some sort of pseudo scout.

Direckshun
08-09-2014, 09:58 PM
I thought the second unit as a whole looked good, but I was watching the game while preparing a presentation for a workshop I was teaching the next day. I'm not narcissistic enough to think my understanding of offensive line play is good enough to grade players like I'm some sort of pseudo scout.

So, you have no idea how McKee looked.

I always thought any idiot can grade shit. Exhibit A: me. I wasn't aware it was a term that denoted expertise.

alpha_omega
08-09-2014, 10:04 PM
Webb aint makin the team.

LoneWolf
08-09-2014, 10:05 PM

I always thought any idiot can grade shit. Exhibit A: me. I wasn't aware it was a term that denoted expertise.

Some of us have these things called jobs and families that take priority over watching a preseason football game over and over to grade backup players that might not make the team.

Direckshun
08-09-2014, 10:07 PM
Webb aint makin the team.

Yeah. Pretty clear when they didn't trot him out there for the 2nd team.

I figured he had the inside track up until we brought Harris on board.

It's pretty obviously a race between Harris and McKee, now. I think if Fisher/Stephenson were a sure thing, the staff would feel more comfortable rolling the dice on McKee.

Hoping to see a studly preseason from McKee.

Direckshun
08-09-2014, 10:08 PM
Some of us have these things called jobs and families that take priority over watching a preseason football game over and over to grade backup players that might not make the team.

You're changing your argument a bit here, from "stop sounding like an elitist asshole" to "you clearly live in your mother's basement."

Anything else you want to throw in the pot, while you're having fun?

LoneWolf
08-09-2014, 10:14 PM
You're changing your argument a bit here, from "stop sounding like an elitist asshole" to "you clearly live in your mother's basement."

Anything else you want to throw in the pot, while you're having fun?

I don't consider you an elitist. I just think you wish you had the talent to be a NFL scout so you try really hard to give everyone the impression that you have the ability to accurately judge player's skill.

I also don't think you live in your mother's basement. I picture you more as a one bedroom studio apartment guy.

RealSNR
08-09-2014, 10:22 PM
Nick Jacobs said in his training camp tweets that the backup offensive line was one of the team's biggest weaknesses.

Guess we now know what it takes to be a sports radio personality.

Absolutely nothing.

RealSNR
08-09-2014, 10:23 PM
I don't consider you an elitist. I just think you wish you had the talent to be a NFL scout so you try really hard to give everyone the impression that you have the ability to accurately judge player's skill.

I also don't think you live in your mother's basement. I picture you more as a one bedroom studio apartment guy.

Hey I lived in a one bedroom apartment up until I got married :(

Direckshun
08-09-2014, 10:26 PM

You're all over the place here. But I'll let it slide, because I like you.

LoneWolf
08-09-2014, 10:26 PM
Hey I lived in a one bedroom apartment up until I got married :(

Well, what grade did you give McKee after Thursday's game?

Direckshun
08-09-2014, 10:28 PM
Nick Jacobs said in his training camp tweets that the backup offensive line was one of the team's biggest weaknesses.

Absolutely nothing.

It's pretty exhausting. I'm getting to the point where I'm just denying everything unless I see it myself.

The Bad Guy was saying his "source" was arguing that Alex Smith didn't want a huge deal, he just wanted a situation where he felt appreciated.

Welp, KC's done nothing but roll out a big red carpet for the guy and trumpet him as the 2nd coming of Montana and the guy still wants $120 million.

Direckshun
08-09-2014, 10:29 PM

SNR defers entirely to my player assessments.

LoneWolf
08-09-2014, 10:32 PM
You're all over the place here. But I'll let it slide, because I like you.

I actually appreciate a number of the things you post before the draft. I'm just in a real pissy mood. One of my cousins lost his 17 year old son to suicide this week and it has me sort of bummed out. Sorry for being an asshole.

Direckshun
08-09-2014, 10:33 PM
I actually appreciate a number of the things you post before the draft. I'm just in a real pissy mood. One of my cousins lost his 17 year old son to suicide this week and it has me sort of bummed out. Sorry for being an asshole.

Oh shit.

I'm sorry to hear that. Christ.

milkman
08-09-2014, 10:34 PM
Oh shit.

I'm sorry to hear that. Christ.

On a lighter note, I think your player evaluations are usually crap.

You are a clueless ****ing moron.

Direckshun
08-09-2014, 10:36 PM
On a lighter note, I think your player evaluations are usually crap.

You are a clueless ****ing moron.

I, too, think it's wise to steer this thread into familiar territory.

Why Not?
08-09-2014, 10:58 PM
This thread has managed to make me laugh, be sad, and feel uncomfortable all in one. Well done, gentlemen.

Discuss Thrower
08-09-2014, 10:59 PM

Absolutely nothing.

Stands to reason with everyone saying the starting offensive line sucks that the guys not good enough to supplant them aren't good either.

milkman
08-09-2014, 10:59 PM
This thread has managed to make me laugh, be sad, and feel uncomfortable all in one. Well done, gentlemen.

Are you calling me a gentleman?

Don't you ever insult me like that again.

Why Not?
08-09-2014, 11:01 PM
Are you calling me a gentleman?

Don't you ever insult me like that again.

Noted.

RealSNR
08-09-2014, 11:27 PM

I gave him an F, for "Fuck NFL.com for selling me a package of four live streaming preseason games with stream quality equivalent to the garbage I could get from firstrowsports"

chiefs1111
08-09-2014, 11:34 PM
I gave him an F, for "Fuck NFL.com for selling me a package of four live streaming preseason games with stream quality equivalent to the garbage I could get from firstrowsports"

This. It wasn't working for the first ten minutes or so at aol and half the time when it did work it was very blurry looking.

Ming the Merciless
08-09-2014, 11:37 PM

I grade this response an F

RealSNR
08-09-2014, 11:39 PM
Stands to reason with everyone saying the starting offensive line sucks that the guys not good enough to supplant them aren't good either.

That's some faulty-ass reasoning of Nick Jacobs' part then if that's what he based his evaluation on.

Discuss Thrower
08-09-2014, 11:50 PM
That's some faulty-ass reasoning of Nick Jacobs' part then if that's what he based his evaluation on.

That's going to be the take from 80+% of people who don't have a coaching background.

Yes, scheme accounts for a lot more than simple "If X is a starter and Y is his backup, so clearly Y isn't good enough to replace Z at a different position." Or even "B catches everything thrown his way so he should replace A even though B can't block downfield to save his life and it's a team that relies a lot on that."