PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Covitz:Dee Ford making an impact on special teams

Tribal Warfare
08-10-2014, 01:04 AM
Dee Ford making an impact on special teams for the Chiefs (http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-chiefs/article1183684.html)

First-round draft pick Dee Ford may have been drafted to rush the passer, but special-teams coach Dave Toub hopes to use him on special teams, especially after watching Ford make a key block on Thomas’ touchdown return.

“If he’s not in the rotation as a starter, or even if he is in the rotation as the starter, if he’s the best guy on one phase that we can use him, Andy (Reid) is going to let us use him,” Toub said. “He did a great job there on the punt return.

“He made the touchdown block. That was his job as the last guy in the line which happened to be the punter. He made a nice block on that and kind of sprung him right there. I’m not sure if he would’ve caught him, but it doesn’t matter. It was a nice block anyway.”

Toub said several other players fighting for roster spots stood out on special teams.

(Linebacker) Josh Martin really played a great game, really good job blocking,” Toub said. (Safety) Daniel Sorensen did a good job on the blocking. Probably could do a little bit of a better job on the punt return game, but (linebacker) Nico Johnson played pretty well.”

Strongside
08-10-2014, 01:24 AM
1st round ST'er. Awesome!

OldSchool
08-10-2014, 01:34 AM

Ray Guy.

SDChiefs
08-10-2014, 01:37 AM

Were that good.

Bufkin
08-10-2014, 01:37 AM
Sebastian Janikowski ain't got nothin' on DF.

MMXcalibur
08-10-2014, 01:46 AM

That's all I needed to say as well.

Thank you.

Anyong Bluth
08-10-2014, 06:12 PM
All I know is I want a bitchin' t-shirt that says in big lettering,

Suck on Dee's Nuts!

milkman
08-10-2014, 06:13 PM
All I know is I want a bitchin' t-shirt that says in big lettering,

Suck on Dee's Nuts!

Wouldn't it be better if you replaced "nuts" with "sack"?

Anyong Bluth
08-10-2014, 06:14 PM
Wouldn't it be better if you replaced "nuts" with "sack"?

Touché. Me likey

BigBeauford
08-10-2014, 06:18 PM
At least one of our first rounders is contributing.

John Dope
08-10-2014, 06:19 PM
It's a small thing but a former college defensive end making a big time special teams play in his first game is a pretty good sign imo.

beach tribe
08-10-2014, 06:26 PM
Return of the Ace Gunner.

cdcox
08-10-2014, 06:34 PM
I think I remember seeing in his college scouting report that he had potential to block a punter.

Saccopoo
08-10-2014, 08:06 PM

Bufkin
08-10-2014, 08:08 PM
Right on cue.

CoMoChief
08-10-2014, 08:13 PM
So Dee Ford was able to block the "punter" (something that even I could effectively do in my sleep), so now we're going to use our 1st rd draft pick aka Hali's replacement, on ST ???

Marcellus
08-10-2014, 08:24 PM
Eric Berry played ST his entire rookie season you morons.

SAUTO
08-10-2014, 10:03 PM

LMAO
Posted via Mobile Device

The Franchise
08-10-2014, 10:08 PM
So Dee Ford was able to block the "punter" (something that even I could effectively do in my sleep), so now we're going to use our 1st rd draft pick aka Hali's replacement, on ST ???

You'd get destroyed by the punter.

Saccopoo
08-10-2014, 10:18 PM
Right on cue.

http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af244/FiercelyNormal/bow.gif

TEX
08-11-2014, 07:34 AM
You'd get destroyed by the punter.

ROFL

RealSNR
08-11-2014, 08:12 AM

Also, I remember Justin Houston looking like absolute feces in his first preseason action.

He also played special teams

htismaqe
08-11-2014, 08:15 AM
Also, I remember Justin Houston looking like absolute feces in his first preseason action.

He also played special teams

And at the end of the day, who really cares?

If the kid can rush the passer (and he looks like he probably can), it doesn't really matter. He's going to get his shots.

Three7s
08-11-2014, 08:29 AM
And at the end of the day, who really cares?

If the kid can rush the passer (and he looks like he probably can), it doesn't really matter. He's going to get his shots.
Thing is, while I've heard good things about his first step, what else does he have? It's gonna take more than that to be productive at this level.

htismaqe
08-11-2014, 08:30 AM
Thing is, while I've heard good things about his first step, what else does he have? It's gonna take more than that to be productive at this level.

He has a good outside-in move and a decent rip because he showed them both during the game. He's not nearly as raw as he appeared at times last year - maybe he was relying more on his physical gifts and just not using technique, rather than not possessing the techniques in the first place.

Strongside
08-11-2014, 08:36 AM
Dee Ford is a better ST'er than Eric Fisher is a lineman. Dorsey is getting better guys.

RealSNR
08-11-2014, 08:47 AM

He's not quite R-Kal Truluck

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-11-2014, 09:09 AM
Dee Ford is a better ST'er than Eric Fisher is a lineman. Dorsey is getting better guys.

Truth. Black, no cream.

Saccopoo
08-11-2014, 09:25 AM

Let's not go full retard, shall we?

I'm willing to bet that Dan Sorensen is a better special teams player than Dee Ford in 2014, let alone having Ford be our obligatory special teams Pro Bowl player before a real game is played.

I'm sure that Ford's athletic ability, speed and size will, in time, give us, the Kansas City Chiefs, their own modern version of Don Bebbe, but let the guy grow into the role before anointing him the next in a the long line of high level special teams aces. I mean, sure, the kid's got potential, but for people to suddenly expect him to be the heir apparent to the succession of Chiefs Gunner Kings Terrance Copper and Junior Hemingway is asking a lot of a raw, unproven rookie.

I think that guys like Dan Sorensen and Albert Wilson will have a leg up on Ford initially in the beginning of the season, but Ford has a chance to overtake his fellow special teams rookies by mid-point in the season...if he's got the capacity to learn and grow under the tutelage of Dave Toub.

Mr. Laz
08-11-2014, 09:34 AM
Ford running on sheer athleticism right now.

he was running around like a chicken with it's head cut off against the Bengals

once he learns to read and use more technique he could be a dominant type guy