PDA

View Full Version : Football The NFL’s New Defensive Rules Probably Aren’t Going To Make A Difference

Direckshun
08-15-2014, 01:50 AM
http://fivethirtyeight.com/datalab/the-nfls-new-defensive-rules-probably-arent-going-to-make-a-difference/

The NFL’s New Defensive Rules Probably Aren’t Going To Make A Difference
By NEIL PAINE
3:04 PM AUG 12

Every offseason, NFL officials make an instructional video that highlights new rules and gives players a warning about which existing ones will be called more tightly in the upcoming season. This year, officials say they’re going to key in on defensive holding and illegal contact, ensuring they’re called correctly.

According to reporting by ESPN’s Jeffri Chadiha, officials became concerned that those particular penalties were not being called as often as they were a decade ago. (Conspiracy theorists, on the other hand, blamed the Seattle Seahawks’ dominant defensive performance against Peyton Manning’s record-setting Denver Broncos offense in the Super Bowl.) With an assist from the data of Pro-Football-Reference.com, we wondered if the official rationale holds up: Have illegal contact and defensive holding really been called less (on a per-pass basis) in recent seasons?

In the case of illegal contact, yes. In 2004, Indianapolis Colts general manager Bill Polian spent the offseason lobbying the NFL Competition Committee to more strictly enforce the illegal contact rule in the wake of his team’s 24-14 playoff defeat against the New England Patriots (a game in which Manning — then playing for Indianapolis — tossed four interceptions).

As the chart below shows, referees began calling the penalty much more often the very next season, a 15-year high point. Since then, the penalty’s frequency has steadily receded.

However, the pattern is less obvious with defensive holding, which also peaked around the middle of the decade but reversed its decline by 2010, and was near its 15-year high just last season. It doesn’t seem to be a penalty in need of greater emphasis.

Then again, concerns about the wisdom of placing more restrictions on defenders in an already pass-happy league may be largely academic. At least in terms of illegal contact and defensive holding, there doesn’t seem to be any relationship between the frequency of either penalty being called and the NFL’s overall level of passing efficiency (as measured by Adjusted Net Yards Per Attempt).

The last time the NFL cracked down on holding and contact by defenders, it didn’t make any noticeable dent in the rising trend of passing efficiency. Pass offenses have steadily become more and more efficient over the last decade and a half — but that’s part of a longterm trend of increased passing efficacy, not because of the rule changes inspired by Polian a decade ago. The same will likely be true for the changes made this offseason as well.

Direckshun
08-15-2014, 01:51 AM
Tons of linkage and a cool chart on the page.

I'm posting from my phone, unfortunately.

Hammock Parties
08-15-2014, 02:06 AM
Everyone is more efficient at passing than they were 15 years ago.

Everyone EXCEPT the Chiefs.

Alex Smith 2013: 3,313 yards, 23 TD, 6.5 YPA, 10.8 YPC, 39 sacks

Elvis Grbac 2000: 4,169 yards, 28 TD, 7.5 YPA, 12.8 YPC, 29 sacks

petegz28
08-15-2014, 04:34 AM
According to reporting by ESPN’s Jeffri Chadiha, officials became concerned that those particular penalties were not being called as often as they were a decade ago. (Conspiracy theorists, on the other hand, blamed the Seattle Seahawks’ dominant defensive performance against Peyton Manning’s record-setting Denver Broncos offense in the Super Bowl.)

In the case of illegal contact, yes. In 2004, Indianapolis Colts general manager Bill Polian spent the offseason lobbying the NFL Competition Committee to more strictly enforce
the illegal contact rule in the wake of his team’s 24-14 playoff defeat against the New England Patriots (a game in which Manning — then playing for Indianapolis — tossed four interceptions).

As the chart below shows, referees began calling the penalty much more often the very next season, a 15-year high point.

LMAO

Pasta Little Brioni
08-15-2014, 06:12 AM
Bulls hit D. The league made another Manning rule just like after the Pats pushed his shit in. It's pathetic.

TEX
08-15-2014, 06:30 AM
Bulls hit D. The league made another Manning rule just like after the Pats pushed his shit in. It's pathetic.

This. The rules change has already made a difference. Its virtually impossible for a DB to cover a WR. In just the few games Ive watched this preseason there's been way more illegal contact / holding which have slowed the games and extended drives. Its TOTAL BS...:shake:

Marcellus
08-15-2014, 06:30 AM
Everyone is more efficient at passing than they were 15 years ago.

Everyone EXCEPT the Chiefs.

Alex Smith 2013: 3,313 yards, 23 TD, 6.5 YPA, 10.8 YPC, 39 sacks

Elvis Grbac 2000: 4,169 yards, 28 TD, 7.5 YPA, 12.8 YPC, 29 sacks

Right. SF, Oakland, Buffalo, etc...have all vastly improved in the QB area since the 90's. LMAO

WhawhaWhat
08-15-2014, 06:43 AM
If they start calling DPI and illegal contact more often in the conference championship games and Super Bowl then something will have changed.

petegz28
08-15-2014, 07:14 AM
I just find it hilarious that the OP calls it a conspiracy to say it's because of Manning then goes on to cite how the league previously changed how they make calls because of Manning.

Nightfyre
08-15-2014, 11:01 AM
I would like to see how many DPI/D Holding calls manning and brady get compared to other QBs.

MagicHef
08-15-2014, 02:42 PM
I would like to see how many DPI/D Holding calls manning and brady get compared to other QBs.

I combined DPI, D Holding, and Illegal Contact. Baltimore was actually the biggest beneficiary, getting 295 free yards from those penalties. Denver and NE were 2nd and 3rd, with 255 and 250 yards.

Logically though, a team that passes more will naturally gain more yards through these penalties than a team that primarily runs. If you divide the penalty yards gained by passing plays, Baltimore stays on top, NE is 2nd, and Denver drops to 5th, right behind Tampa Bay (?) and Indy.

The takeaway from this is clear: The refs love Flacco.

KC is basically league average in both categories. Hilariously, Washington only gained 16 yards throughout the entire season on these penalties.

Deberg_1990
08-15-2014, 03:29 PM
Translation:

Manning will still get his asss beat down in the playoffs when the real defenses come to play.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-15-2014, 04:22 PM
Rules catered to him and still only a title because of Rex Grossman. That's pretty sad.

keg in kc
08-15-2014, 04:28 PM
There's supposed to be an emphasis on OPI, but I haven't seen it so far. There were some really questionable calls last night, including one where the DB (gratz i think it was) fell down and somehow got a holding call.

petegz28
08-15-2014, 05:55 PM
Watching the NE-PHI game and JFC they are calling defensive holding every other play

petegz28
08-15-2014, 05:59 PM
On this 1 drive so far there have been 4 defensive holding penalties. Even though they are saying they will cut back when the real season starts, this is ridiculous as it handicaps the defensive players from getting into game shape as well.

TribalElder
08-15-2014, 05:59 PM
All they have to do is throw the shit deep and get the completion via flag every time

petegz28
08-15-2014, 06:02 PM
17 drive extending penalties later and NE scores....LMAO

Of course the OPI wasn't called for the WR pulling the DB by him to catch the back-shoulder

GoChargers
08-15-2014, 06:16 PM
Refs in midseason form, pushing the Cheatriots down the field on every drive.

TribalElder
08-15-2014, 06:18 PM
We don't need corners, they just draw flags LMAO

dirk digler
08-15-2014, 06:58 PM
Watching the NE-PHI game and JFC they are calling defensive holding every other play

I am really hoping they scale back in the regular season or they are going to ruin the game. This Pats-Eagles game is horrific.

Mr. Laz
08-15-2014, 07:06 PM
The NFL’s New Defensive Rules Probably Aren’t Going To Make A Difference
it's sure as hell going to make a difference for some teams

this is the type of shit that gives the 'benefit of the doubt' to certain teams

I still want to know why it's ok for OT's to strangle Tamba Hali. :#

Psyko Tek
08-15-2014, 11:44 PM

because he plays for the chiefs, get him to denver or east coast he will be drawing calls constantly

Dr. Gigglepants
08-15-2014, 11:46 PM
http://i.imgur.com/ptNnMrg.png

Hammock Parties
08-15-2014, 11:50 PM
This will be good for Sean Smith.

SDChiefs
08-15-2014, 11:52 PM
the nfl has gone to shit. it gets harder to watch every passing year. Goodell needs to face a firing squad.

thabear04
08-16-2014, 01:00 AM

Piss me off too:cuss:

TribalElder
08-16-2014, 01:08 AM

Holy shit

Fucking Peyton manning :facepalm:

Bugeater
08-16-2014, 07:06 AM
It's probably not going to make a difference...unless the NFL wants it to...

petegz28
08-16-2014, 07:17 AM

Not sure how they can look at that stat and don't say they need to back off?

htismaqe
08-16-2014, 08:22 AM
This will be good for Sean Smith.

Yeah, he might set an NFL record or two.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-16-2014, 08:52 AM
Tired of them trying to cater the game to fantasy football obsessed dipshits/madden nation ballas.

dannybcaitlyn
08-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Fly a banner?

ILChief
08-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Holy shit

Fucking Peyton manning :facepalm:

I will be so glad when he is gone

TEX
08-16-2014, 10:00 AM

Thats EASY in Denver's case. Some teams will receive BOTH benefits. :shake:

Its getting to the point where its virtually impossible to play defense.

Dayze
08-16-2014, 10:05 AM

:facepalm:

JFC that's amazing.

Crying Ramtard
08-17-2014, 11:19 AM
what new rule ? you weren't allowed to touch a receiver after 5 yards years ago. All they are doing is telling you that they are focusing on it again.

ViperVisor
08-17-2014, 11:45 AM
This should of been addressed 2 years ago.

A Thursday night game SEA vs SF I watched.

They called Zero penalties on the SEA secondary. And they were grabbing pushing all night.

The refs got infected with NBA ref syndrome. Once a guy gets a rep they will give the benefit of the doubt to the stars. But the inch given soon more and more taken.

And same with how the pick-plays used to be a tight-rope an offense had to walk. They let a star offense with Manning use it to higher degree.

GoChargers
08-17-2014, 11:47 AM
I will be so glad when he is gone

When Fivehead and Brady finally retire, Brees, Rodgers and Luck will still be around to recieve full-on slurp treatment from the refs.