PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs First Units Impressions

OldSchool
08-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Things that I noticed off the bat:

Offense:

Alex Smith - Looked good except for a couple of misfires. He was hit way too much in this game.

Eric Fisher - Looks alright but he had a couple of glaringly bad moments, both against Hardy. Completely whiffed on a pass play and run play. He played better than I expected but not as well as you would hope.

Run plays - We were successful almost exclusively on runs to the left of our formation but anything going to the right was almost always stuffed right away.

Interior OL - It's about as bad as I thought it would be. Star had his way with Jeff Allen way too often. Fulton is a terrible blocker in the screen game.

TE Fasano - I think he is best described as slow but steady. I hope Kelce replaces him in the starting role sooner rather than later.

Bowe - Looks like he did in the later part of the season and into the playoffs. He'll be fine as long as he stays healthy.

DAT - Fast as hell with great vision and showed fantastic awareness and burst on his carry.

Knile Davis - For some reason, he looks slower to me this year. I thought he was Gray on a couple of plays. He had one bad play in pass pro but was ok otherwise.

Play calling - Way too predictable but that's the pre-season for you. Expect them to open it up a little more in week 3 for the dress-up and then shut it down for week 4 before the regular season.

Defense:

Houston - He looks sluggish out there and really ineffective. This is the guy that everyone wants to extend for $60+ mil a year? Could just be him being out of shape from his holdout but we'll see if he can turn it on for the season.

Hali - Same as always. Steady and high motor player who shows no quit. Looks much better than Houston.

DBs - Can we please switch to Seattle's cover scheme? We lack the dominant, or at least technically sound corners, that can run the man coverage scheme effectively. Cooper is our best CB and he's still a bit too raw to be trusted on an island. Smith just doesn't really have the foot speed to be effective in man coverage, especially with the new rules today.

Joe Mays - He's an upgrade over Jordan so far, at least as a blitzer and in the run game.

DL - Poe looks solid and was held on an awful lot of plays. We still gave up the short TD runs far too easily though.

What did you guys notice out of the first unit out there?

Otter
08-17-2014, 08:32 PM
My impressions:

Our offensive line is extremely suspect unless I'm underestimating Carolina's defensive line

As much as I want to see Bray get a chance I like Alex Smith. Guy has game game 7 Stanley Cup playoff look in his eyes.

The secondary is not good. Bottom of the league with the exception of Berry.

DAT has Dante Hall potential. His speed and shiftyness is amazing.

Why didn't we draft a WR last draft?

chiefzilla1501
08-17-2014, 08:33 PM
Noticed the same about Fulton. The guy is slow as shit in the screen game. It's too bad Rishaw Johnson isn't out there and I'm pretty upset he pissed his season away.

Agree that Smith had a solid game even though he was knocked around. I'm not going to knock him for throwing lots of designed screens, which is what you'll see a lot of in the preseason.

I think right now the biggest problem with the defense is coaching. I would hope that Sutton will be held accountable if this doesn't shape up. Our secondary sucks and we know that, but it doesn't explain enough why our talented players are not playing well.

This team is what I thought they would be. Lots of young guys who will make mistakes. A few pieces away. And a DC who should be coaching to save his job... at least, I hope.

ThaVirus
08-17-2014, 08:43 PM
Fulton is atrocious in space.

TEX
08-17-2014, 08:44 PM
Noticed the same about Fulton. The guy is slow as shit in the screen game. It's too bad Rishaw Johnson isn't out there and I'm pretty upset he pissed his season away.

How did Rishaw Johnson piss his season away? What did I miss?

RealSNR
08-17-2014, 08:44 PM
Our OL would be fine if Jeff Allen didn't suck so much AIDSshit.

He's our worst starter by far.

O.city
08-17-2014, 08:48 PM

He had 1 terrible play, but against that front 7, all things considered, our OL was fine.

keg in kc
08-17-2014, 08:48 PM
unless I'm underestimating Carolina's defensive lineYou may be. They have a pretty good front 7.

I thought the first half was mix and match, but a little more good than bad. Still sloppy but better than last week. I'm actually more optimistic than I was heading into the game, because I expected the line to get steam-rolled.

O.city
08-17-2014, 08:50 PM
Carolina has the best front 7 in the NFL.

chiefzilla1501
08-17-2014, 08:53 PM
How did Rishaw Johnson piss his season away? What did I miss?

4-game drug suspension. He was probably going to be the guy starting, not Fulton.

ThaVirus
08-17-2014, 08:54 PM
Oh, I posted about it in the chat earlier but I feel like Knile pokes around too often in traffic. I'd like to see him choose a lane and hit it hard and fast.

Of course, sometimes he's showing good patience, but more often than not I'd rather see him just lower his head and build up some steam.

RealSNR
08-17-2014, 08:54 PM
4-game drug suspension. He was probably going to be the guy starting, not Fulton.

That was Rokevious Watkins, not Rishaw Johnson.

Watkins has since been cut from the team.

OldSchool
08-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Carolina has the best front 7 in the NFL.

Debatable.

Rams
49ers
Seahawks
Cardinals
Broncos
Texans

They are all up there with the Panthers. Panthers have several players who are dominant as hell though. Johnson, Hardy, and Lotulelei are all monsters and Kuechley is as good as they come at LB.

OldSchool
08-17-2014, 08:56 PM
Oh, I posted about it in the chat earlier but I feel like Knile pokes around too often in traffic. I'd like to see him choose a lane and hit it hard and fast.

Of course, sometimes he's showing good patience, but more often than not I'd rather see him just lower his head and build up some steam.

Agreed, he dances around a bit too much for a back who weighs 220+.

chiefzilla1501
08-17-2014, 08:56 PM
That was Rokevious Watkins, not Rishaw Johnson.

Watkins has since been cut from the team.

Shit, you're right. So then I have no idea why Fulton is out there. Either way, it should be Fulton and Rishaw. Get Jeff Allen the fuck out of there.

Marcellus
08-17-2014, 08:57 PM
OL issues are being blown out of proportion.

Defensive issues may be an issue.

O.city
08-17-2014, 08:57 PM
Debatable.

Rams
49ers
Seahawks
Cardinals
Broncos
Texans

They are all up there with the Panthers. Panthers have several players who are dominant as hell though. Johnson, Hardy, and Lotulelei are all monsters.

With their 2 ILB"s they're better than any of those teams.

Maybe the Texans when healthy though.

OldSchool
08-17-2014, 08:58 PM
With their 2 ILB"s they're better than any of those teams.

Maybe the Texans when healthy though.

49ers have Bowman and Willis . . .

O.city
08-17-2014, 08:59 PM
49ers have Bowman and Willis . . .

Sure.

But the Panthers 2 are better IMO

Psyko Tek
08-17-2014, 08:59 PM
You may be. They have a pretty good front 7.

I thought the first half was mix and match, but a little more good than bad. Still sloppy but better than last week. I'm actually more optimistic than I was heading into the game, because I expected the line to get steam-rolled.

thry were worse last week?
what is the over under on smith making 8 games

ThaVirus
08-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Sure.

I've noticed you've said this a couple times.

Thomas Davis is an OLB. The Panthers run a 4-3.

Jimmya
08-17-2014, 09:01 PM
Defensive coaching is a giant question mark going into this season.

OldSchool
08-17-2014, 09:03 PM
Sure.

Eh, I would disagree with you. There is no tandem better than Bowman and Willis when they are healthy.

O.city
08-17-2014, 09:03 PM
I've noticed you've said this a couple times.

Thomas Davis is an OLB. The Panthers run a 4-3.

I was thinking it was a hybrid.

notorious
08-17-2014, 09:05 PM
Defensive coaching is a giant question mark going into this season.

Not really.

It's pretty obvious they suck.

O.city
08-17-2014, 09:06 PM
Eh, I would disagree with you. There is no tandem better than Bowman and Willis when they are healthy.

I think Willis is a bit overrated at this point in his career to be honest. He's good, but he's got/had great guys in front of him.

Most great ILB's do though.

ViperVisor
08-17-2014, 09:11 PM

I don't think the PFF review of the game will be kind to them.

ThaVirus
08-17-2014, 09:21 PM
I just posted this in the game thread but Dee Ford and Vance Walker are getting tossed by 3rd stringers right about now.

Of course they're not starters but they're supposed to make an impact this season..

jd1020
08-17-2014, 09:22 PM
I just posted this in the game thread but Dee Ford and Vance Walker are getting tossed by 3rd stringers right about now.

Of course they're not starters but they're supposed to make an impact this season..

I wasn't really counting on Ford making an impact this year. I don't expect him to play much until Hali is gone.

I need to look at the Chiefs 2016 FA's to see who they are going to target in the 2015 draft.

TEX
08-17-2014, 09:22 PM

You're right. The Secondary BLOWS and the scheme combined with the new league emphasis on defensive holding could spell DISASTER.

TEX
08-17-2014, 09:27 PM

Yep. 2nd year in a row.

Fritz88
08-17-2014, 09:29 PM
I need to see more of Ford.

Fisher needs work.

Hoover
08-17-2014, 09:33 PM
LT - Fisher
LG - Allen
C - Kush
RG - Hudson
RT - Stepenson

I don't think we should rush Fulton. I'd slide Hudson over and see how it goes.

I really like what I see out of Kush.

jonzie04
08-17-2014, 09:33 PM
Id be all for running a zone defense. we simply do not have the personnel required to run press man effectively. the new rules makes it even worse. I really think you need a guy like revis, or Patrick Peterson to line up with the #1 in order to run a good man d. And then you need some solid guys after that guy.

O.city
08-17-2014, 09:34 PM
We have WR's getting open down field. Gonna have to keep being aggressive towards that.

jonzie04
08-17-2014, 09:37 PM
I was also pretty disappointed with the pass rush. There were some plays where cam had the ball for a very long time, and the pass rush didn't get there. What makes it even worse. Is that Carolinas o line is pretty suspect.

OldSchool
08-17-2014, 09:39 PM
I want to see Kelce with the first team next week. I don't care how much you're paying Fasano, he's not dynamic like Kelce is with his speed. To make matters worse, I don't like how he has been juggling passes lately.

Pitt Gorilla
Our O-line played horribly. Get that fixed and we might be able to do something on offense.

Chief Roundup
60 mil a year not.

OldSchool
08-17-2014, 09:40 PM
I was also pretty disappointed with the pass rush. There were some plays where cam had the ball for a very long time, and the pass rush didn't get there. What makes it even worse. Is that Carolinas o line is pretty suspect.

Yeah, Houston might as well have not been on the field. Seemed like the only time that we got any pressure at all was when we blitzed a DB. That's not a good sign, IMO.

petegz28
08-17-2014, 09:40 PM
LT - Fisher
LG - Allen
C - Kush
RG - Hudson
RT - Stepenson

I don't think we should rush Fulton. I'd slide Hudson over and see how it goes.

I really like what I see out of Kush.

I said the same thing in Chat during the game.

petegz28
08-17-2014, 09:41 PM
Sutton needs to get his shit together because his scheme sucks asshole. We should have the talent to be able to keep 2 safeties back most of the time

Easy 6
08-17-2014, 10:00 PM
Fisher got beat like a dog in a trailerpark.

New World Order
08-17-2014, 10:02 PM
Fisher was fucking awful. OP, what game were you watching?

OldSchool
08-17-2014, 10:08 PM
Fisher was ****ing awful. OP, what game were you watching?

I saw him make a lot of solid blocks and look bad on a few. I said he looked better than I expected because I expected Hardy to just destroy him on every other play, that didn't happen and Fisher held his own more often then not.

Btw, he still seems to lack some power in his left punch. The bad pass blocking attempt that he made really reminded me of Baker's failed attempt on Clowney that resulted in a sack. Fisher looked slow with his reaction to the outside rush on that play and I have no idea why it took him so long to react and get his hands up.

chiefzilla1501
08-17-2014, 10:09 PM
Id be all for running a zone defense. we simply do not have the personnel required to run press man effectively. the new rules makes it even worse. I really think you need a guy like revis, or Patrick Peterson to line up with the #1 in order to run a good man d. And then you need some solid guys after that guy.

Sadly, yes. The NFL had a chance to really poke at this and actually enforce the pick play. They did the opposite and that hurts the Chiefs. And once again, I worry that we're running an obsolete scheme. The 2-gap seems to be in some trouble as you can tell with the Chiefs targeting smaller DEs, which is going to make it harder for the Chiefs to swap those guys into a 4-3 nose as the traditional Ryan defense likes. The corners are too big if the defense can't even play press anymore. The main thing that makes the scheme innovative right is Berry, and if he's playing more single-high, you take that edge away too.

I think our defensive scheme is in big trouble. What scares me is that I almost feel like we need a Romeo-bad / Pioli-bad year to convince Reid to make a coaching change. If Sutton is anything but disastrously bad I worry he'll still stick around. So I find myself again in the awkward situation of wondering if I should be rooting for our defense to suck.

Easy 6
08-17-2014, 10:09 PM

Simply didnt want to hear them at first, but the cornerback meltdown crowd my not be far off the mark.

Its been very shaky so far.

Mav
08-17-2014, 10:53 PM
That hardy breakdown on Fisher on that run play. A run play!

Dunerdr
08-18-2014, 04:50 AM
Knile would have benefited from a few things.
1. Make 1 cut and go.
2. Get behind Sherman build your speed and hit the hole he creates. There may only be two people on the entire team who are as good or better at the one job they have than Sherman(Charles,colquitt). Get behind him Holmes and t.rich style and run. Jamaal can be patient because he has a lightning first step. Knile seems to take 2-3 to really get moving.
3. Don't go to the right. Period.

driver2
08-18-2014, 06:29 AM
only read the OP, My impressions Your QB's better call their AFFLAC insurance rep real quick. The line can't pass pro for s__t. The Panthers do have a pretty good pass rush, though.

Kelce is impressive, real speed and good hands. Once you've got Charles back things will open up a little.
Chiefs and Broncs about the toughest schedules in the league this year. Going to be hard to equal last years win loss totals.

Three7s
08-18-2014, 06:48 AM
Simply didnt want to hear them at first, but the cornerback meltdown crowd my not be far off the mark.

Its been very shaky so far.
The OL issues annoy me, the DB issues make me want to not watch.

Steron
08-18-2014, 07:07 AM
The OL issues annoy me, the DB issues make me want to not watch.

+eleventybillion

Chiefnj2
08-18-2014, 07:11 AM
I'm not sure what to expect of Fisher after having two offseason surgeries and spending all spring rehabbing from injury. It is expected he will struggle this year.

For a coach who loves to call screen passes, you'd think the team would have retained and/or grabbed some guards who can pull and move. As far as the DB's are concerned - wow. Not much you can do with an absence of talent in a league that already hamstrings DBs.

SAUTO
08-18-2014, 07:22 AM
they sucked. period

John Dope
08-18-2014, 07:25 AM
First unit offense was pretty good.

We were missing our best player and going against the best front seven in the league.

Fisher made a couple of mistakes but was good 90% of the time. He's almost good enough and will be soon imo. Allen and Stephenson were not good.

Bowe stepped up but he's done that after the media got all over his ass before. I'm not going to get excited about last night's performance.

If we are going to run a bunch of screens the receivers need to block much much better. All of them sucked in this area (even Bowe).

Alex looked good to me.

Succop won the job last night. Santos sucks on kick offs.

Fasano is as solid as ever. He will continue to start over Kelce because he can block.

Davis did a nice job imo. He held the ball well against a damn good defense.

First unit defense looked great.

Carolina's first three drives were three and outs.

Parker lost the job last night because that's twice he hasn't been able to get his head around and it's cost us both times.

Mays looks really good. He's the best player we've had next to DJ since switching to the 3-4.

Sorenson needs to wrap up and quit going for big hits.

We never need to have Abdullah lined up over the opposing #1 WR. Even if Hali is going to bump him. That's an disaster waiting to happen.

Bailey has gotten better for sure.

Owens looks good in the nickel. He might be an upgrade over Flowers.

ndws
08-18-2014, 07:45 AM
I wish we had drafted at the 28th spot instead of 23rd.

Mav
08-18-2014, 08:30 AM
Please trade for alex Boone.

OldSchool
08-18-2014, 08:32 AM

This x100. I'd trade a back-up QB and a 5th for him in a heartbeat. Maybe a 4th given the fact that he is one of the best guards in the league.

Sweet Daddy Hate
08-18-2014, 08:32 AM
they sucked. period

When the time clock finally hit 0:00, it felt like getting the life support machine unplugged from the wall after living as a vegetable for Eleventy Billion years.

Mav
08-18-2014, 08:33 AM
This x100. I'd trade a back-up QB and a 5th for him in a heartbeat. Maybe a 4th given the fact that he is one of the best guards in the league.
Hell, Boone can play tackle lol.

beach tribe
08-18-2014, 10:07 AM

Don't let his size fool you.
He is NOT a power back.

Shit, Jamaal is more of a power back than he is.

But he is a home run threat.
We have 3 of them on the team right now.

The Franchise
08-18-2014, 10:09 AM

And pay him with what? Dude wants to be paid like the top OG he is and we don't have the money for him right now.

Three7s
08-18-2014, 10:28 AM
First unit offense was pretty good.

We were missing our best player and going against the best front seven in the league.

Fisher made a couple of mistakes but was good 90% of the time. He's almost good enough and will be soon imo. Allen and Stephenson were not good.

Even if that were true, 90% isn't good enough. All it takes is 10% to totally change a game and cost you a win.

Bowe stepped up but he's done that after the media got all over his ass before. I'm not going to get excited about last night's performance.

If we are going to run a bunch of screens the receivers need to block much much better. All of them sucked in this area (even Bowe).

Alex looked good to me.

Good, but he still doesn't take the chances that I wish he would, especially in a no-risk situation, but he was alright.

Succop won the job last night. Santos sucks on kick offs.

Fasano is as solid as ever. He will continue to start over Kelce because he can block.

I heard that Kelce was a decent blocker, what did you see out of Kelce there?

Davis did a nice job imo. He held the ball well against a damn good defense.

First unit defense looked great.

Carolina's first three drives were three and outs.

Parker lost the job last night because that's twice he hasn't been able to get his head around and it's cost us both times.

And who takes over for him? Sean Smith wasn't exactly dominating either.

Mays looks really good. He's the best player we've had next to DJ since switching to the 3-4.

Sorenson needs to wrap up and quit going for big hits.

We never need to have Abdullah lined up over the opposing #1 WR. Even if Hali is going to bump him. That's an disaster waiting to happen.

Bob Sutton needs to realize that he can't hide any mis-matches. It cost the defense several times last season.

Bailey has gotten better for sure.

Owens looks good in the nickel. He might be an upgrade over Flowers.

Check the bold! :)

beach tribe
08-18-2014, 10:30 AM
And pay him with what? Dude wants to be paid like the top OG he is and we don't have the money for him right now.

Haven't you heard, the salary cap isn't real.

Easy 6
08-18-2014, 10:33 AM
Bowe hopefully shut some people up, he looked solid.

Kelce is going to be a great weapon.

O line sucks dong.

lcarus
08-18-2014, 10:45 AM
I'm excited that Kelce is doing well. We desperately need a good TE.

Mr. Laz
08-18-2014, 11:14 AM

Yep

Jeff Allen is our most consistent Olineman, consistently bad

the rest are wildly up and down

seems like they take turns screwing up

Mr. Laz
08-18-2014, 11:14 AM
Bowe hopefully shut some people up, he looked solid.

Kelce is going to be a great weapon.

O line sucks dong.
Solid?!?

He supposed to be elite.

RealSNR
08-18-2014, 11:54 AM
That's OldSchool for ya, ladies and gentlemen.

Doesn't want to pay out the ass for Justin Houston.

Wants to pay out the ass for Alex Boone.

Alexes Smith and Boone are all you need to build a championship team.

OldSchool
08-18-2014, 12:04 PM
That's OldSchool for ya, ladies and gentlemen.

Doesn't want to pay out the ass for Justin Houston.

Wants to pay out the ass for Alex Boone.

Alexes Smith and Boone are all you need to build a championship team.

So you think Houston actually looked good out there and the interior of our OL isn't a major issue? ROFL

Easy 6
08-18-2014, 12:08 PM
Solid?!?

He supposed to be elite.

You're splitting hairs.

He looked quicker than usual and was catching every throw, no sign of finger problems... I was pleased with his showing.

Mr. Laz
08-18-2014, 12:13 PM
You're splitting hairs.

He looked quicker than usual and was catching every throw, no sign of finger problems... I was pleased with his showing.
Not really

He's not just supposed to be another guy.

He's supposed be a #1 elite receiver, who forces the defense to account for him on every play. Not only do defenses not have to do that but he doesn't even dominate on just regular 1-on-1 coverage.

I guess we have different opinions on what an elite,top 10 wr is supposed to do.

jd1020
08-18-2014, 12:26 PM
Not really

He's not just supposed to be another guy.

He's supposed be a #1 elite receiver, who forces the defense to account for him on every play. Not only do defenses not have to do that but he doesn't even dominate on just regular 1-on-1 coverage.

I guess we have different opinions on what an elite,top 10 wr is supposed to do.

You don't think defenses game plan for Bowe?

JFC.

Anytime someone mentions the Chiefs offense 3 names always come out. Charles, Bowe, and Smith.

ThaVirus
08-18-2014, 12:50 PM
So you think Houston actually looked good out there and the interior of our OL isn't a major issue? ROFL

All of our guys have been hot dogging it, IMO. That's why we haven't been hearing a damn thing about Houston, DJ, Poe, or even Hali.

You do realize that Houston is playing for a contract, right? You really expect him to go out there and risk injury in an exhibition game?

Chief Roundup
08-18-2014, 12:54 PM

JFC.

Anytime someone mentions the Chiefs offense 3 names always come out. Charles, Bowe, and Smith.

Very little. He is not Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, etc.

OldSchool
08-18-2014, 12:58 PM
All of our guys have been hot dogging it, IMO. That's why we haven't been hearing a damn thing about Houston, DJ, Poe, or even Hali.

You do realize that Houston is playing for a contract, right? You really expect him to go out there and risk injury in an exhibition game?

If he's playing for a contract then he should be proving his worth any chance he gets, even if it's just the pre-season.

Chief Roundup
08-18-2014, 01:03 PM
If he's playing for a contract then he should be proving his worth any chance he gets, even if it's just the pre-season.

Yeah because we so often hear, "remember the play he made in that preseason game".
He should be playing but trying to protect himself. He has had injuries before and he needs to stay as nick free as possible. Preseason doesn't count or mean very much.

OldSchool
08-18-2014, 01:08 PM
Yeah because we so often hear, "remember the play he made in that preseason game".
He should be playing but trying to protect himself. He has had injuries before and he needs to stay as nick free as possible. Preseason doesn't count or mean very much.

I guess Hali didn't get the memo to take it easy then.

ThaVirus
08-18-2014, 01:26 PM

Preseason means nothing to an established veteran.

Houston is, at the very least, borderline elite. He stands to gain absolutely nothing from making a good play in preseason and stands to lose everything on a freak injury.

If I were him, I wouldn't be going all out either.

Mr. Laz
08-18-2014, 01:51 PM

well that's a lame excuse

Mr. Laz
08-18-2014, 01:54 PM

JFC.

Very little. He is not Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald, etc.
I don't recall any significant defensive adjustments or rotations for Bowe.

From what i've seen from the defenses, they don't give 2 shits about our receivers.

They aren't worry about any of them.

Chief Roundup
08-18-2014, 01:57 PM
I guess Hali didn't get the memo to take it easy then.

Hali hasn't missed as many games in his career as Houston did last season. Houston is the one that has a new contract on the line where regular and post season stats are the only things that matter to ANYONE when talking millions.

It is obvious from your posts for a while now that you do not really like Houston so your bias is noted as well.

ThaVirus
08-18-2014, 02:02 PM
well that's a lame excuse

It's not an excuse; it's logic.

Chief Roundup
08-18-2014, 02:03 PM

From what i've seen from the defenses, they don't give 2 shits about our receivers.

That is right. Defenses are willing to live or die against Bowe. The opposing defenses know that if they can shut down Charles and limit Alex they will win the matchup. Bowe is just not the type that could tell his QB just throw it to me on basically every play and I will get it done, like a Calvin Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald.

ViperVisor
08-18-2014, 02:23 PM
All five starting linemen earned negative grades in pass protection with Eric Fisher (40 snaps, -1.4 overall), Jeff Allen and Zach Fulton (40 snaps, -4.6 overall) surrendering multiple pressures. Conceding the most pressure was new right guard Fulton who let up a pair of hits and a pair of hurries, getting started early as Star Lotulelei drove outside of him for a hurry early in the game.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/08/18/refo-chiefs-panthers-preseason-week-1/

Mav
08-18-2014, 02:30 PM
That's all semantics to me. My poor alex was beat like a prostitute who came up short on half off night.

htismaqe
08-18-2014, 02:34 PM
That's all semantics to me. My poor alex was beat like a prostitute who came up short on half off night.

"My poor Alex".

ROFL

SeeingRed
08-18-2014, 02:37 PM

To be perfectly honest the o line scares me......and this is a very bad issue to have. Saw this article brousing on rotoworld....:shake: not good http://m.nbcsports.com/content/eric-fisher-still-struggling-after-offseason-shoulder-surgery

Mav
08-18-2014, 02:39 PM
"My poor Alex".

ROFL
Hehe.

My precious.

htismaqe
08-18-2014, 02:41 PM
To be perfectly honest the o line scares me......and this is a very bad issue to have. Saw this article brousing on rotoworld....:shake: not good http://m.nbcsports.com/content/eric-fisher-still-struggling-after-offseason-shoulder-surgery

Putting all the garbage hyperbole stuff aside, I think we can all agree that Alex Smith can only play at his best if he's getting good protection.

They couldn't have put him in a worse situation, IMO.

RealSNR
08-18-2014, 02:42 PM

And that kind of logic is why the Chiefs are currently paying $20 million in guaranteed money to a goddamn punter.

Buehler445
08-18-2014, 02:49 PM

The fuck they don't. Almost everyone rolls the safety to that side and bumps Avery.

SeeingRed
08-18-2014, 02:54 PM
Putting all the garbage hyperbole stuff aside, I think we can all agree that Alex Smith can only play at his best if he's getting good protection.

Agreed

jspchief
08-18-2014, 04:55 PM

Doesn't help that our qb rarely stretches the field.

ChiefGator
08-18-2014, 05:33 PM

Absolutely what I commented on several times during the game. A little too shifty and not enough just go in him.

milkman
08-18-2014, 06:05 PM
Don't know if this means anything, but it should be noted that Marcus Cooper has been virtually invisible.

kccrow
08-18-2014, 06:05 PM

Yep. When teams can blow through your guards at the rate we saw last night, then they don't have to get too exotic to get quick pressure in Alex's face. Easy coverage when you can drop 7 every play.

jonzie04
08-18-2014, 11:28 PM
Don't know if this means anything, but it should be noted that Marcus Cooper has been virtually invisible.

Ive noticed this as well. I've seen it as a positive. I'll take invisible over a defensive pi, or raping any day of the week.

OldSchool
08-18-2014, 11:45 PM

IMO, this is a good thing. It means that he is doing his job and covering his receiver a lot more adequately than any of our other corners are.

Also, Chris Owens was a solid pickup in the slot.

OldSchool
08-18-2014, 11:49 PM
Another note on the secondary. Van Dyke is easily our most explosive guy but seems to be undisciplined still. On his penalty, he reached out and put his hand on the WR on the fly route when he didn't need to. The guy has 4.2 speed, I'd like to see him trust it rather than panic and reach out for the WR.

Freak athlete who never became a true technician. Hopefully we can turn that around and develop him into a decent cover corner.

Mav
08-19-2014, 05:58 AM

Because he has been doing his job.

just carrying over from the playoff game.

he wasn't the one getting torched.

he played really well.

I commented the other day how well he was playing.

John Dope
08-19-2014, 06:18 AM
Because he has been doing his job.

just carrying over from the playoff game.

he wasn't the one getting torched.

he played really well.

I commented the other day how well he was playing.

Exactly. I noticed it last night. He might be playing at a higher level than anyone else on our defense right now.

Buehler445
08-19-2014, 07:00 AM
OK, I must have missed it. Why is Berry out? is he hurt?

Sandy Vagina
08-19-2014, 07:03 AM
OK, I must have missed it. Why is Berry out? is he hurt?

Berry has some soreness in his heel that KC is being cautious of, IIRC.

Three7s
08-19-2014, 07:11 AM
IMO, this is a good thing. It means that he is doing his job and covering his receiver a lot more adequately than any of our other corners are.

Also, Chris Owens was a solid pickup in the slot.
Try Chris Owens opposite Marcus Cooper? Can't be worse than Ron "burnt toast" Parker or Sean Smith.

RealSNR
08-19-2014, 08:27 AM
Try Chris Owens opposite Marcus Cooper? Can't be worse than Ron "burnt toast" Parker or Sean Smith.

YEAH OR HOW ABOUT PHILIP "THIS GUY SUCKS AT PLAYING CB" GAINES!!!

Chiefnj2
08-19-2014, 08:35 AM
What happened to Demetrius Harris? All camp I read about a dark horse TE that was catching everything thrown his way. Did he even play in game two?

OldSchool
08-19-2014, 08:37 AM
What happened to Demetrius Harris? All camp I read about a dark horse TE that was catching everything thrown his way. Did he even play in game two?

He did, only target he got was a poorly thrown ball from Murray that got intercepted. Didn't seem to have the same get-off that he had last week and was getting held up a lot by Carolina's LBs.

RunKC
08-19-2014, 08:47 AM
I like what I saw from Chris Owens. He's got the speed to keep up.

Cooper looked fine too. It's basically Sean Smith who is the problem, as Parker shouldn't see too much time. Hoping that Gaines will take over Smith's job and perform well.
I'd like us to ease him in.

OldSchool
08-19-2014, 08:51 AM
I like what I saw from Chris Owens. He's got the speed to keep up.

Cooper looked fine too. It's basically Sean Smith who is the problem, as Parker shouldn't see too much time. Hoping that Gaines will take over Smith's job and perform well.
I'd like us to ease him in.

I like Gaines but he still looks lost out there. He hasn't shown anywhere near the same level of consistency and competency in coverage as he showed in college. I thought he'd struggle with WRs strong arming him, not with shadowing backup level players. He has a ways to go before he can make the active game day roster, much less make a start for us.

Three7s
08-19-2014, 08:51 AM
YEAH OR HOW ABOUT PHILIP "THIS GUY SUCKS AT PLAYING CB" GAINES!!!
LMAO

RunKC
08-19-2014, 09:55 AM
I like Gaines but he still looks lost out there. He hasn't shown anywhere near the same level of consistency and competency in coverage as he showed in college. I thought he'd struggle with WRs strong arming him, not with shadowing backup level players. He has a ways to go before he can make the active game day roster, much less make a start for us.

It's his 2nd preseason game. Give him time. Like I said ease him in slowly and surely and by the 2nd half of the year he should feel a lot more comfortable.