PDA

View Full Version : Life The nest is empty now

frankotank
08-18-2014, 07:37 AM
Just moved my second, and last kid out He's a freshman at college now, my daughter is a senior. So many friends saying how excited I should be. I'm just so much the opposite. This morning is the first day without either of them here. I keep feeling like……I’m on the verge of panic over them being gone. Like I’m at the top of a roller coaster about to take the plunge and then I’ll get control just before I freak out. I’ll have to get used to this. I just feel such a sense of loss…… I didn't think I'd feel this way.

SHIRLEY some of ya'll have gone thru this too. Am I alone in these pussified feelings? Did everyone else immediately break out a bottle of booze and celebrate?

Dr. Gigglepants
08-18-2014, 07:42 AM
Dropped our first of four off last week and the sense of loss is a good way to put that feeling. Today is her first day of class, I'm excited for her because I remember the college days, but it's definitely sad. Luckily we have a long time until four of four goes.

BigMeatballDave
08-18-2014, 07:42 AM
I could understand the feeling. My son is still in HS, but him going away to college scares me a bit.

Apart from the loss, I bet you are feeling proud having 2 in college. Focus on that.

BucEyedPea
08-18-2014, 07:44 AM
Just moved my second, and last kid out He's a freshman at college now, my daughter is a senior. So many friends saying how excited I should be. I'm just so much the opposite. This morning is the first day without either of them here. I keep feeling like……I’m on the verge of panic over them being gone. Like I’m at the top of a roller coaster about to take the plunge and then I’ll get control just before I freak out. I’ll have to get used to this. I just feel such a sense of loss…… I didn't think I'd feel this way.

SHIRLEY some of ya'll have gone thru this too. Am I alone in these pussified feelings? Did everyone else immediately break out a bottle of booze and celebrate?

I only have one. I felt a bit lost the first year. Now, I love it and am enjoying it. Redoing my house, making plans for a new twist on my career and took on a part-time gig where I get to travel and see parts of America for free. Couldn't do that before. You just need to create something new to dig your teeth into. Or to regain a sense of purpose. Also, they come back to visit. Mine calls me frequently.

Graystoke
08-18-2014, 07:44 AM
I got one more to go and I cant freaking wait.
Get out little bitches....GET OUT!

BucEyedPea
08-18-2014, 07:46 AM
LMAO

That's how I feel now when she's home for too long. Encourage summer classes is my advice.

frankotank
08-18-2014, 07:50 AM
yeah....when my daughter was home her and mom would sometimes fight....all loud and mean......I'd be thinking jeez just SHUT UP (while never daring to actually say that!)....

so quiet.....

maybe I DO need to break out a bottle....

BucEyedPea
08-18-2014, 07:56 AM
yeah....when my daughter was home her and mom would sometimes fight....all loud and mean......I'd be thinking jeez just SHUT UP (while never daring to actually say that!)....

so quiet.....

I read girls are like that with their moms starting around age 14'ish. Mine started late, like going up to her first year of college. She was never mouthy before though. When she returns she's like that for the first few days until I lay down the law.

KCFalcon59
08-18-2014, 08:04 AM

I know exactly how you feel. Moved my daughter to college last Friday. My son is a junior in HS this year. I have been in a mini panic because my daughter hasn't returned any text messages or my phone calls since Saturday. I was about to freak the fuck out until I heard from her this morning.

I really miss that evil selfish little monster. :deevee:

InChiefsHeaven
08-18-2014, 08:26 AM
My daughter is local, so we see here quite often. She is working and going to school, but lives with her boyfriend in an apartment with her son. So, all seems OK and I get to hang with the grandkid enough to get over the whole empty nest thing. My son is stationed in Hawaii with his wife. We miss the hell out of him but thankfully there's Skype.

Because of her being close and Skype...my wife and I are LOVING them being gone. It's fantastic. You'll get over it. Enjoy the freedom!

tooge
08-18-2014, 08:29 AM
I still have about 6 years before my first one leaves. I'm dreading it already.

gblowfish
08-18-2014, 08:35 AM
Eh, go Porky Piggin around the house in the middle of the day. Because you can.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
08-18-2014, 08:39 AM
They'll move back with you after college. No worries.

frankotank
08-18-2014, 08:41 AM
I know I'll get to a better mindset. but for now......I mean.....mother humper I'm just such a wussy! I was perfectly fine yesterday. woke up this morning and it got me.

I can see around the corner to some "porky pigging" though.... LMAO

it's funny....you think you know yourself. I KNOW I'm sometimes overly emotional.....whether that be anger or sadness. I know sometimes I'm a wussy......but good fricking GRIEF!

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/233065216/hDDD5364C/

frankotank
08-18-2014, 08:44 AM

:spock:

Snap back to reality, Oh there goes gravity
Oh, there goes Rabbit, he choked
He's so mad, but he won't give up that
Easy, no!

:shake:

guess I don't miss them THAT much after all! :thumb:

THANKS RUDY! (heads to the liquor cabinet to open a bottle of patron)

BucEyedPea
08-18-2014, 08:45 AM

ROFL LMAO :LOL:

BucEyedPea
08-18-2014, 08:46 AM
I really miss that evil selfish little monster. :deevee:

ROFL

SAUTO
08-18-2014, 08:49 AM

so quiet.....

shit grow some balls, I tell my daughter and wife to shut up quite often when the are arguing. either that or take it somewhere away from me, I don't need their drama

frankotank
08-18-2014, 08:51 AM
shit grow some balls, I tell my daughter and wife to shut up quite often when the are arguing. either that or take it somewhere away from me, I don't need their drama

yeah but....I'll bet my wife and daughter can whoop your ass! :LOL:

Donger
08-18-2014, 08:54 AM
Ah, sex in the kitchen in broad daylight again.

BucEyedPea
08-18-2014, 08:54 AM
frankotank, telling them to shut up is likely just to piss them off even more and turn it on to your escalating. Best to choose your battles for more important disagreements.

frankotank
08-18-2014, 09:16 AM
frankotank, telling them to shut up is likely just to piss them off even more and turn it on to your escalating. Best to choose your battles for more important disagreements.

totally agree. I try to silently slip away.
pay no attention to that man in the corner!

BigBeauford
08-18-2014, 09:31 AM
Whatever you do, don't think about the partying, alcohol, and other craziness that college kids are exposed to.

:evil:

SAUTO
08-18-2014, 09:36 AM
yeah but....I'll bet my wife and daughter can whoop your ass! :LOL:

i'll concede that point.

fan4ever
08-18-2014, 09:38 AM
Just dropped off my oldest at Northern Arizona University. He's a kid we enjoyed seeing every day; funny, engaging, sweet, and intelligent. Even would say "Love you, good night" even to the last night he was here. I work at home and got to spend more time with my son than most dads ever do, and while that was a gift, it also leaves a big hole. His little brother will always be with us because of his condition, but God knows we're going to miss that boy and what he brought into our lives every day...not ashamed to say I've cried a few times dealing with all this.

BucEyedPea
08-18-2014, 09:41 AM
Just dropped off my oldest at Northern Arizona University. He's a kid we enjoyed seeing every day; funny, engaging, sweet, and intelligent. Even would say "Love you, good night" even to the last night he was here. I work at home and got to spend more time with my son than most dads ever do, and while that was a gift, it also leaves a big hole. His little brother will always be with us because of his condition, but God knows we're going to miss that boy and what he brought into our lives every day...not ashamed to say I've cried a few times dealing with all this.

The one in Flagstaff? If so, I almost went there and backed out at last moment due to a guy! Big mistake. Would have loved to attended. They had a great program for what I wanted to major in.

displacedinMN
08-18-2014, 09:46 AM
SHIRLEY some of ya'll have gone thru this too.

Yes some have, but please don' call me Shirley.

My sister is at that point. I have a few more years.

Al Bundy
08-18-2014, 09:49 AM
I don't have kids, but I can tell you it was really hard on my mom when I went to school in Orlando. Midway through my freshman year she moved back down to Florida to be closer to me.

scho63
08-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Eh, go Porky Piggin around the house in the middle of the day. Because you can.

That would have been my suggestion GB! :thumb:

Otter
08-18-2014, 11:08 AM
I don't have kids but do have an understading of what you're feeling. My niece Tara before she turned teenage years used to run up and jump in my arms like I was the only person in the room. It's a special feeling.

They need to make a pill that keeps them from growing up.

Time to take up fly fishing brah! :thumb:

sd4chiefs
08-18-2014, 11:24 AM
After our son went off to college our house just seemed so empty and quit. We then went out and found a great dog at the local animal shelter. Problem solved.

Rain Man
08-18-2014, 12:54 PM
I don't have kids but do have an understading of what you're feeling. My niece Tara before she turned teenage years used to run up and jump in my arms like I was the only person in the room. It's a special feeling.

They need to make a pill that keeps them from growing up.

Time to take up fly fishing brah! :thumb:

I think the East Germans had a pill like that for their gymnasts back before the Berlin Wall came down.

Frosty
08-18-2014, 02:58 PM
When we dropped my oldest off at college last year (as a Freshman), I have to admit that I teared up a few times on the way home. The house just felt a lot emptier when we got home.

Fast forward a year - he's been home all summer and we have to take him back to school this Friday. I can't wait! ;)

My other son is a Senior in HS so I get to face the empty nest thing next year. I'll probably go through all of the emotions all over again.

frankotank
08-19-2014, 09:19 AM
someone sent me this. cracked me up.

http://mommylife.net/archives/2012/09/03/first%20day.jpg

you should see his dorm room. his roommate showed up with a 55 inch tv and replaced the ceiling lights with black lights. big ole surround sound system. it's redunkulous. but in the end....it's still a dorm room.

I gotta admit....walking to the car to head home I was thinking......better you than me bro!

KCTitus
08-19-2014, 09:27 AM
My oldest is a junior in college, goes back on Saturday. Im not even going because I hosting our fantasy draft. We take my second back to Columbus tomorrow, he'll be a sophomore. We still have one at home, but last year was rough with the oldest two gone.

We've got a few years before the youngest goes away, and by that time, the oldest two will be back home paying off student loans.

Frosty
08-19-2014, 09:37 AM
My oldest is going to college about 4 hours away. However, my youngest is bound and determined to get out of the Pacific Northwest, preferably Stanford or Berkeley. I'm not sure how I am going to handle that.

frankotank
08-19-2014, 09:54 AM
yesterday I had the day off. it was the first day in the house with no kids. I got up and made a cup of coffee and actually shed tears over this situation for the first time. a very sad moment. I then went to the store. came home. popped a beer. ripped the man cave apart and rearranged it after installing a kick ass surround sound system I'd just purchased.....

in hindsight I should have done all of this in my underwear. (well....except for the trip to the store....)

so anyways.......I feel much better now! bring on the first regular seasons Chiefs game. my neighbors will be able to hear it from across the street! :thumb:

Bowser
08-19-2014, 10:53 AM
We sent our daughter off for her freshman year a week ago this past Sunday. She had to show up a week early for volleyball. She didn't pack nearly enough of her clothes, so today I'm sending out what will surely be the first of many care packages, lol. The little shit told us to basically send the rest of all her stuff; this is going to be expensive to ship!

The weirdest/worst thing about her being gone is not necessarily the thought that she's gone, but the thought she isn't going to come bounding through the door any time soon. :(

BlackHelicopters
08-19-2014, 11:01 AM
The best of times, the worst of times.

FlaChief58
08-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Pics of your daughter will be required for us to give you the proper advice

Damn this place is slipping...

ROYC75
08-19-2014, 11:24 AM

You lucky man, oh you lucky man. DO NOT EVER let them move back in, NEVER!

After 4 kids and parts of 10 g/kids & 16 yrs later, we are still attempting to get them all out. 1 leaves, another comes, another gets back on their feet, another falls....... Should be a requirement that all kids wear shock collars and every kids be forced to pay a video game for 3 years to understand the implications of all of this!

NEVER, EVER, NEVER NEVER NEVER!

The wife and I had 1 week, 1 flipping "wonderful" week and we still felt lost.

frankotank
08-19-2014, 11:33 AM
You lucky man, oh you lucky man. DO NOT EVER let them move back in, NEVER!

After 4 kids and parts of 10 g/kids & 16 yrs later, we are still attempting to get them all out. 1 leaves, another comes, another gets back on their feet, another falls....... Should be a requirement that all kids wear shock collars and every kids be forced to pay a video game for 3 years to understand the implications of all of this!

NEVER, EVER, NEVER NEVER NEVER!

The wife and I had 1 week, 1 flipping "wonderful" week and we still felt lost.

LMAO

38yrsfan
08-19-2014, 02:36 PM
While I understand your feelings, watching them leave for basic training with the military is far more "worrying".

When my youngest left I turned to my wife and told her that was the last time she will see her little boy, everything will have changed when she sees him again.

** We got lucky and he is stationed at Whidbey Island a few hours away.

frankotank
08-20-2014, 10:40 AM
While I understand your feelings, watching them leave for basic training with the military is far more "worrying".

NO DOUBT!
I'm an air force brat from a family full of military folks. came very very close to enlisting myself.

I sincerely thank your son for his service and pray he has safe travels.

Saccopoo
08-20-2014, 10:42 AM
Smoke some weed.

It will mellow you out.

Hell, your kids are probably having some separation anxiety issues as well.

Have them smoke some weed too.

Especially your daughter.

Frosty
08-20-2014, 10:57 AM
I gotta admit....walking to the car to head home I was thinking......better you than me bro!

I was a little envious of my son when we dropped him off. Even though I have a degree, I never really got the full college experience. My first few years were at a community college and I was married by the time I got to the university.