PDA

View Full Version : Life Are women hurting their chances of getting hired by using the "vocal fry" speech?

Deberg_1990
08-19-2014, 07:49 PM
Interesting. Seems to most popular in the "under 25" female demo

http://www.businessinsider.com/speech-trend-vocal-fry-is-normal-2014-8#ixzz3ArTKDi45

A study published in science journal PLOS One in May suggested that a speech pattern called vocal fry undermines the success of people, especially young women, in the labor market.
Vocal fry involves dropping one's voice to the lowest register, causing the vocal chords to flutter, which creates a creaking sound.

Although the media widely covered the study, some linguists criticized its methodology, claiming that vocal fry is used frequently by everyone and isn't really a problem.

The Study
The study included sound files of seven men and women saying, "Thank you for considering me for this opportunity" two times — once normally and once with vocal fry. Then, 400 men and 400 women listened and answered questions about the speakers, as shown below.

With vocal fry, people's voices drop below normal levels, and, at least according to the study, that makes them less hirable. For example, study participants who reported making hiring judgements preferred a normal female or normal male voice 87% of the time over those with vocal fry, mostly because they found that person less trustworthy.
Opinions grew harsher with women. Take a look at the chart below, showing female voices in the left columns.

In her reporting, The Atlantic's Olga Khazan juxtaposed both male and female examples with and without vocal fry from the study on SoundCloud. Listen here and decide for yourself.

The Problems
Many linguistic studies intending to compare opinions on a type of speech will alter human voices electronically, Christian DiCanio, a researcher at Haskin Laboratories at Yale University, told Business Insider.

But the PLOS One study did not, rather having men and women reproduce vocal fry themselves, introducing their own interpretations.

"If you listen to someone with a heavy New York City accent or a heavy Texas accent and try to imitate that, you'd sound like a caricature of that accent," DiCanio said. "That's exactly what happened here."

Simply put, the vocal fry voices in the study were "imitated" — not true vocal fry. The speakers' interpretations of vocal fry altered more than one variable within their speech, and thus, researchers can't quite claim their findings occurred as a result of vocal fry.

First of all, the duration of almost every speaker's sample sentence increased with the imitated vocal fry, according to DiCanio. They drew out their words.

The phrase "thank you" in both examples also gives important context for the study. In neither version does it contain true vocal fry, but the pitch with imitated vocal fry is much lower than the normal sentence. "What that tells you is that speakers are not only trying to imitate vocal fry but lower their pitch in general," DiCanio explained.

The Explanation
In reality, both examples contained vocal fry, according to DiCanio. "It's found in speech in all sorts of people," he said. "In fact, there's a collection of speech found on the radio, and it was coded for vocal fry, and it's found everywhere."

So why did people find the vocal fry heard in the study so much less desirable than regular speech? The voices just sounded odd, DiCanio explained. When people don't sound like themselves, others naturally don't trust them as much, making the speakers less likely to land a job.

The fact that the study found this effect more pronounced for women also goes against previous research. Back in 2010, Ikuko Patricia Yuasa found that vocal fry, also known as "creaky voice," was most used by women who were urban, upwardly mobile, and fairly hirable.

"If you're just speaking with vocal fry that's natural, I would think people wouldn't notice it much, and it wouldn't affect your job prospects," DiCanio explained. "What people really cue into is when you don't sound like yourself."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/speech-trend-vocal-fry-is-normal-2014-8#ixzz3AtPyvoUX

Katipan
08-19-2014, 07:52 PM
I won't go baritone but I'll talk softly just to make a guy lean in.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-19-2014, 07:52 PM
Where do you find all this bullshit?

TimBone
08-19-2014, 07:53 PM
I'd rather see a nude selfie of Chief pantalones than read another Deberg thread.

Bugeater
08-19-2014, 08:02 PM
Didn't read lol
Posted via Mobile Device

Hammock Parties
08-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Alex Smith is the vocal fry of NFL QBs

Deberg_1990
08-19-2014, 08:12 PM
oh.....Vocal Fry voice is basically Kim Kardashian speech.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UsE5mysfZsY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rooster
08-19-2014, 08:15 PM
We used to call that talking like a valley girl.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-19-2014, 08:18 PM
I would rather vocally scream to an entire bag of French fries shoved up my ass than read another deberg thread.

BucEyedPea
08-19-2014, 10:05 PM
Why do you read them?

Simply Red
08-19-2014, 10:09 PM
We used to call that talking like a valley girl.

we're not that old.

ORAHH MA GAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply Red
08-19-2014, 10:11 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/UsE5mysfZsY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Thanks bud.

Deberg_1990
08-19-2014, 10:15 PM
Thanks bud.

I know you " would" that girl

cosmo20002
08-19-2014, 10:15 PM

However annoying the vocal fry is, it is not nearly as fucking annoying as hearing that fucking woman explaining it.

Discuss Thrower
08-19-2014, 10:16 PM
If I could get a tender embrace from Cristin Milioti, Judy Greer or Faith Sallie I could die a happy man.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x15scu1_faith-salie-on-speaking-with-vocal-fry_news

Rain Man
08-19-2014, 10:18 PM
I won't go baritone but I'll talk softly just to make a guy lean in.

I'll often lean in so I can peek down women's blouses.

Jiu Jitsu Jon
08-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Now I want to interview at some stupid place just to try it. A lot of places now do a phone interview before an on-site interview takes place. Someone apply for Chase or T-Mobile and record this. I'll give you a dollar. And this Alf lunch box too.

LoneWolf
08-20-2014, 04:04 AM
I'd rather see a nude selfie of Chief pantalones than read another Deberg thread.

Patience, Flybone. It's coming in mid November.

loochy
08-20-2014, 05:11 AM
Of course it hurts their chances...they sound like freaking idiots.

Kman34
08-20-2014, 05:46 AM
I find a low muffled long fart gets the best results at a job interview.

WhawhaWhat
08-20-2014, 06:08 AM
The sidekick on 610 in the afternoon speaks like this too. It drives me nuts.

mikey23545
08-20-2014, 06:33 AM
Of course it hurts their chances...they sound like freaking creaking idiots.

FYP.

blaise
08-20-2014, 07:15 AM
Young women do this, but mostly it's the high rising terminal thing now. Very annoying.
Just makes them sound juvenile and dumb.

Molitoth
08-20-2014, 07:26 AM
I'm a geek. I took interest in this article.

htismaqe
08-20-2014, 07:46 AM
Why would ANYBODY talk like a Tri-Delt in a JOB INTERVIEW?

Jesus Christ our society is stupid.

Canofbier
08-20-2014, 07:51 AM
However annoying the vocal fry is, it is not nearly as ****ing annoying as hearing that ****ing woman explaining it.

She did a piss-poor job of explaining it, if you ask me. Valley girl speak ≠ vocal fry; she just made it seem that way. She mentioned as an aside that it's a part of every-day speech for most people, but didn't do much to explain what it is or what it sounds like when not used in conjunction with ridiculous accents.

Ironically, she does it quite a bit while she "speaks normally" in the video, all while talking about how irritating and bad-for-you it is (and nervously pulling at her hair).

htismaqe
08-20-2014, 07:52 AM
She did a piss-poor job of explaining it, if you ask me. Valley girl speak ≠ vocal fry; she just made it seem that way. She mentioned as an aside that it's a part of every-day speech for most people, but didn't do much to explain what it is or what it sounds like when not used in conjunction with ridiculous accents. Ironically, she does it quite a bit while she speaks in the video, all while talking about how irritating and bad-for-you it is (and nervously pulling at her hair).

So can you find a better example?

Because until I watched that video, I had no idea what anybody was talking about.

Canofbier
08-20-2014, 08:00 AM

Because until I watched that video, I had no idea what anybody was talking about.

Go to about 40 seconds in the below video. He demonstrates what vocal fry is relative to "regular" speech. It's a bit annoying, but that's because his normal speech and mannerisms are annoying.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BZdsWNX23ug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Saccopoo
08-20-2014, 08:01 AM

I watched that video and I still don't have any idea about what anybody is talking about.

This is a thing?

Saccopoo
08-20-2014, 08:03 AM
Go to about 40 seconds in the below video. He demonstrates what vocal fry is relative to "regular" speech. It's a bit annoying, but that's because his normal speech and mannerisms are annoying.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/BZdsWNX23ug" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So, Bill Clinton impersonators are responsible for this horrible epidemic?

nychief
08-20-2014, 08:05 AM
That... and saying "LIKE" every other fucking word....

htismaqe
08-20-2014, 08:06 AM

ROFL

http://i219.photobucket.com/albums/cc195/HighTide66/wooderson.jpg

Canofbier
08-20-2014, 08:07 AM
So, Bill Clinton impersonators are responsible for this horrible epidemic?

If you want to attribute a natural vocal tendency to another silly accent, then sure. :thumb:

The bottom line is that almost everyone uses vocal fry in reasonable amounts in their day-to-day speech, and people are getting their panties in a bunch about other, mostly unrelated speech patterns.

htismaqe
08-20-2014, 08:19 AM
OK, that video actually turns out to be quite informative.

Notice that the term he used to describe the singing voice was "lazy". It's a soft voice, just above whispering.

So if people are talking like that in an interview, they're being viewed as passive or lazy most likely.

A confident person is going to speak deliberately and with some force, and thus wouldn't likely have that quality in their voice during an interview.

Saccopoo
08-20-2014, 08:21 AM
That... and saying "LIKE" every other ****ing word....

I know, right?

Fishpicker
08-20-2014, 09:46 AM
none of those videos explain vocal fry well. If you want to know what vocal fry is, just watch Apocalypse Now and listen to Captain Willard narrate.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/WFsMguGrUVo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rain Man
08-20-2014, 09:47 AM
I've actually seen this in interviews, and yes, it is discussed. It's not a professional communications style. It's not just women, though.

On a related note, some women are unfortunate to have very childlike voices, particularly younger women, and while it's cute socially, I think it also hurts them professionally. An employee and I were on a call a while back, and the woman who answered the phone sounded so astoundingly young that my (female) employee and I exchanged glances about it. When we got off the phone, my employee cracked me up by saying, "I almost asked, 'is your mother home'"?