PDA

View Full Version : Football Forbes Best Fans in the NFL

WakkaWakka
08-21-2014, 12:05 PM
Chiefs fans don't even make the list...

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11386641/study-says-green-bay-packers-nfl-best-fans

Bufkin
08-21-2014, 12:06 PM
The Packers are almost as bad as the Cowboys when it comes to useless bandwagons. How many Packer fans are there in Missouri? It's insane. I don't know if it was Favre's cock that brought them all along, but it's annoying as piss regardless.

jd1020
08-21-2014, 12:06 PM
No one gives a shit about the midwest. When will you learn?

kysirsoze
08-21-2014, 12:08 PM
LOL at Indy fans. They didn't exist until Peyton came along. If Luck doesn't pan out, they'll crawl back in their holes.

cosmo20002
08-21-2014, 12:09 PM

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11386641/study-says-green-bay-packers-nfl-best-fans

Maybe they didn't hear that we briefly held the loudness record.

kysirsoze
08-21-2014, 12:10 PM
Also, three years of neilson ratings? No wonder Denver and Seattle are on there.

listopencil
08-21-2014, 12:13 PM
Denver does have some great fans. They also have some, "What? Is it football season? I was out hunting/camping/chopping wood/fucking goats or whatever" fans. Living out here in California I seem to run into both extremes quite a bit.

kysirsoze
08-21-2014, 12:27 PM
Denver does have some great fans. They also have some, "What? Is it football season? I was out hunting/camping/chopping wood/****ing goats or whatever" fans. Living out here in California I seem to run into both extremes quite a bit.

I'm sure they do. They would probably be on the list in a down year, but this list is weird. Their criteria has little to do with what dictates the best fanbase.

listopencil
08-21-2014, 12:33 PM
I'm sure they do. They would probably be on the list in a down year, but this list is weird. Their criteria has little to do with what dictates the best fanbase.

The article looks like fairly common internet "journalism." Try to create something that will get people arguing in the comments section, or cause people to feel obliged to comment.

Rausch
08-21-2014, 12:34 PM
No.

No we really don't...

Bearcat
08-21-2014, 12:39 PM
So, people watch teams that contend for SBs and the Dallas Cowboys... ground breaking stuff.

InChiefsHeaven
08-21-2014, 12:41 PM
It's because we flew banners.

Mr. Laz
08-21-2014, 12:42 PM

If Chiefs didn't make the list then why post it on a Chiefs board?

jacking off with sandpaper some more?

WakkaWakka
08-21-2014, 12:46 PM

I'm sorry, I thought this was a football forum and this is a football topic.

InChiefsHeaven
08-21-2014, 12:47 PM
I'm sorry, I thought this was a football forum and this is a football topic.

Well, that oughta learn ya...

beach tribe
08-21-2014, 12:48 PM
So, people watch teams that contend for SBs and the Dallas Cowboys... ground breaking stuff.

EXACTLY my thoughts.

beach tribe
08-21-2014, 12:50 PM

Because it's BS that we are not.

Let those some of those Fn teams go through what we have been through ,and see if there is a damn one of them left.

Stewie
08-21-2014, 12:54 PM
I think the problem is that CP takes away from all the Twitter, Facebook and other social media that seems to have driven this pole. Those team's fans can have at it.

Rausch
08-21-2014, 12:56 PM
It's because we flew banners.

That would definitely be an argument FOR being legit fans.

Save our Chiefs, the blackout day, and the banners DID have a huge impact.

I don't think any fanbase has ever reacted in the same way...

Beef Supreme
08-21-2014, 12:58 PM
Best fans ... why would anyone even give a shit?

"The competition is heating up. In this round they'll be sitting on their asses and screaming at stuff, followed by filling their pie holes with some kind of cheese dish. Tomorrow in the semi-finals we'll get a good look at their ability to soak up alcohol."

Discuss Thrower
08-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Because it's BS that we are not.

Let those some of those Fn teams go through what we have been through ,and see if there is a damn one of them left.

The Chiefs of the last 25 years get into the playoffs once every four years give or take and haven't managed to stay in the postseason whenever they get there.

Arrowhead used to boast one of the longest sellout streaks in the league until the Herm era. With the renovations and astronomically high ticket prices that streak won't return anytime soon.

Further the Chiefs' haven't had a marketable star player on the roster since Joe Montana -and even then that was in the twilight years of his career.

Add in to the fact that most Americans don't even know what state the city's mostly in leads to wonderfully mixed cocktail of irrelevance.

notorious
08-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Wow, if a team wins Superbowls they have good/more fans.

Sounds about right.

kcxiv
08-21-2014, 01:25 PM

of course the Chiefs arent, just a few years ago media thought we cheereed our QB after he got hurt and then the fans flying banners and fans wearing black. lol

Chiefs fans took a bit of a media hit for the greater good.

Pasta Little Brioni
08-21-2014, 03:56 PM
Not anymore. Either Lil chiefy true fans or weepy vaginas.

a pp roach
08-21-2014, 03:58 PM
Who gives a fuck about what Forbes says? I sure don't.

gblowfish
08-21-2014, 04:03 PM
But....King Carl always said "A Chiefs fan is born every minute..."?

Rain Man
08-21-2014, 04:25 PM

Yeah, that's pretty much it. It says far more about the modern NFL fan base than it does about any particular franchise. They're just a bunch of lemmings that runs from one winning team to another, and the league doesn't really care.

Discuss Thrower
08-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Yeah, that's pretty much it. It says far more about the modern NFL fan base than it does about any particular franchise. They're just a bunch of lemmings that runs from one winning team to another, and the league doesn't really care.

There's more money to be made from t-shirt fans than there are from diehards who go to 8 games a year.

Rain Man
08-21-2014, 04:38 PM
There's more money to be made from t-shirt fans than there are from diehards who go to 8 games a year.

I guess they're on the path to testing that theory. How many playoff games sold out last year, again?

Discuss Thrower
08-21-2014, 04:39 PM
I guess they're on the path to testing that theory. How many playoff games sold out last year, again?

Do gate receipts really matter nowadays?

Rain Man
08-21-2014, 04:43 PM
Do gate receipts really matter nowadays?

Y'know, I don't know. I'd like to see the team revenues broken down by the major categories such as TV revenue, stadium revenues, merchandise sales, Broncos kickbacks, and steroid wholesaling.

Goldmember
08-21-2014, 07:25 PM
That would definitely be an argument FOR being legit fans.

Save our Chiefs, the blackout day, and the banners DID have a huge impact.

I don't think any fanbase has ever reacted in the same way...

Well the Aints' fans did wear paper bags. They hired a plane to fly over the Superdome but it didn't have the same effect.

MMXcalibur
08-21-2014, 07:51 PM
It's really easy to be a fan when your team wins, but I understand what this is all about: buy more stuff!!!!

The "best" fans in the NFL should be the Bills, Browns, Chiefs, Vikings, and yes.....dare I say, the Raiders?

BigMeatballDave
08-21-2014, 08:27 PM
Stupid list is stupid.

Bearcat
08-22-2014, 09:23 AM

Being a fan, much less a 'great' fan is one of the most illogical things we do. If a favorite band releases a terrible album, I don't go out and buy it anyway. If I'm watching a movie that sucks, I don't sit through the whole thing and then go to the sequel.

Yet, people are proud to say they've watched or been to every Chiefs game for the past x number of years, and you're just a dumb bandwagoner if you became a Patriots fan 15 years ago, choosing to watch a team that's actually worth watching.

Valiant
08-22-2014, 09:26 AM
I do not even have to look at the list.

But I have a feeling the criteria is winning teams consistently. or superbowls.

notorious
08-22-2014, 09:30 AM
Bearcat is spot-on. A "Great Fan" is actually the worst kind of fan.

They are the enablers.

They keep giving a shit product/franchise their money.

They cheer for a team to win when it will actually hurt their chance at future success (Suck for Luck, anyone?).

"Great Fans" a.k.a. "True Fans" need to be eliminated with extreme prejudice.

BigMeatballDave
08-22-2014, 09:33 AM
For me, being a great fan is to follow the team though decades of futility.

We all quality here.

Chiefs and Royals.

htismaqe
08-22-2014, 09:39 AM
If a favorite band releases a terrible album, I don't go out and buy it anyway.

I disagree with this. A lot of great bands go through transitions and even undergo wholesale changes. If I stopped buying Judas Priest albums after they released "Point of Entry", I never would have heard "Screaming for Vengeance". If I had given up on them after "Turbo", I would have never bought "Painkiller."

The thing is, Judas Priest EARNED my trust. When Diamond Head released "Lightning to the Nations", I was hooked. But then they released a more progressive "Borrowed Time" which I and many others didn't like as well. When they released "Canterbury" they had moved away largely from their original sound and ultimately, that was the end of the band. Diamond Head didn't have a track record and therefore hadn't earned the fan base that allowed them to make the changes they made.

How does this relate to football?

Well, some teams, like the Steelers, have earned their fans. They won it all, went through a rough period, and then won it all again. Those fans that stuck with them through the 80's got to enjoy the success both before and after. The same could be said for a lot of the team on that list.

Bearcat
08-22-2014, 10:00 AM
I disagree with this. A lot of great bands go through transitions and even undergo wholesale changes. If I stopped buying Judas Priest albums after they released "Point of Entry", I never would have heard "Screaming for Vengeance". If I had given up on them after "Turbo", I would have never bought "Painkiller."

The thing is, Judas Priest EARNED my trust. When Diamond Head released "Lightning to the Nations", I was hooked. But then they released a more progressive "Borrowed Time" which I and many others didn't like as well. When they released "Canterbury" they had moved away largely from their original sound and ultimately, that was the end of the band. Diamond Head didn't have a track record and therefore hadn't earned the fan base that allowed them to make the changes they made.

How does this relate to football?

Well, some teams, like the Steelers, have earned their fans. They won it all, went through a rough period, and then won it all again. Those fans that stuck with them through the 80's got to enjoy the success both before and after. The same could be said for a lot of the team on that list.

Well, I'm not that old... :D

These days I can go to Amazon or Spotify and listen to an album before choosing to buy the mp3s, where as back in the day there wasn't really much choice outside of listening to the one or two songs that made it to the radio or borrowing an album. Yet, as fans, we blindly buy tickets, even if the team has a history of being terrible.

Point taken on earning that trust though... I'd support a team like the Steelers through the lean years because they obviously know what they're doing. I'd watch a young team or a rookie QB go through growing pains, because I'd be interested to see the development. A 4-12 season doesn't hurt nearly as bad when you know the future is bright.

WTF have the Chiefs done to earn trust? Change the system/GM/coach/retread QB every few years? Stick with the plan of drafting linemen high and QBs low for thirty years? It's kind of mind boggling that it took Herm for me to stop being kind of proud of the fact that I watched every game and to do something else with my Sundays.... and a few years after that to stop spending $100+ and an entire day at the stadium.

The best thing this fanbase has done in decades is fly banners and show we're pretty pissed off with the incompetence... and the only thing better is to stop spending money on that crap.

htismaqe
08-22-2014, 10:19 AM
Well, I'm not that old... :D

These days I can go to Amazon or Spotify and listen to an album before choosing to buy the mp3s, where as back in the day there wasn't really much choice outside of listening to the one or two songs that made it to the radio or borrowing an album. Yet, as fans, we blindly buy tickets, even if the team has a history of being terrible.

And if you happened to buy "Madness", the first single from Muse' The 2nd Law, on iTunes, you missed out on an otherwise GREAT album because you downloaded the only cheesy radio track on the entire playlist. That song is terrible but the rest of the album is superb.

Look at this way. A team (or band) with a positive track record deserves the benefit of the doubt. When Denver or Pittsburgh has a down year, their fans can look at the entirety of team history and say "well, this is an aberration". Just like Judas Priest "Turbo", I can look back and say "maybe this is just one album" and sure enough, "Ram It Down" proves exactly that - it was an aberration.

WTF have the Chiefs done to earn trust?

Exactly my point. The Chiefs have done nothing in 40 years to prove that this year, or last year, or any of the other years without a playoff victory are an aberration. Much like Diamond Head, they came out of the gate with a strong start, gathered a throng of fans, and then set out on their REAL path, one that was completely different than how they started. There is nothing in the Chiefs history that garners them the benefit of the doubt - there's way more evidence to suggest that a losing season is "more of the same" and not just a temporary speed bump on the return to greatness...

Rain Man
08-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Being a fan, much less a 'great' fan is one of the most illogical things we do. If a favorite band releases a terrible album, I don't go out and buy it anyway. If I'm watching a movie that sucks, I don't sit through the whole thing and then go to the sequel.

Yet, people are proud to say they've watched or been to every Chiefs game for the past x number of years, and you're just a dumb bandwagoner if you became a Patriots fan 15 years ago, choosing to watch a team that's actually worth watching.

You're right. Why do we do that? We're not loyal to other things that consistently stink. We don't go out and buy the worst car on the market because that's what we did last time. Or go to a restaurant that gave us food poisoning the last time we ate there.

I wonder if there's a bit of a tribal mentality involved with teams. They have a place associated with them, so it becomes an "us versus them" mentality. Add some colorful uniforms and we're no better than the people on the Afghanistan/Pakistan border.

If we're really pursuing enjoyment, then maybe we shouldn't have a "favorite team". Maybe we should just watch the games and pick the team we're rooting for at halftime, which appears to be how half of the NFL's modern fan base does it. We've made fun of bandwagon fans forever, but maybe they're really the ones who are more enlightened and enjoy the game more.

Aside from the marketing strategies they're using, I wonder too if we're finally feeling an unpredicted impact of expansion now as well. When there were eight teams in the NFL, your team was always in contention. When there are 32 teams, you're going to have some teams that go 50 years without a Super Bowl win just because of the math. There are too many competitors with only one winner per year. I wonder if that expansion starts eating into the enjoyment and loyalty of the fan base at some point.

If you have 32 teams and they're all equally strong - complete parity - to the point where a random team wins the Super Bowl every year, anyone want to guess the likelihood of a team not winning the Super Bowl for 44 straight years, like the Chiefs have done? Answer below:

The likelihood is 24.7%. It's a random selection with replacement, so you'd have some teams randomly winning more than once and some less. So even if every team is evenly competitive, you're going to have 8 teams in a 32-team league that go 44 years without winning a Super Bowl. That's a long time to wait for your reward for fan loyalty.

An American life expectancy these days is around 79 years. There's an 8 percent chance that your team won't win a Super Bowl your entire life, and that's assuming all teams are equal. If your team has weaker management or if some other team has particularly good management or a good quarterback for a decade, the odds go up considerably. That's not much of an argument for loyalty.

htismaqe
08-22-2014, 12:33 PM
EXCELLENT post.

notorious
08-22-2014, 12:37 PM
Geography and our Dads.

That's why we are retarded.

SeeingRed
08-22-2014, 01:18 PM
well at least they didn't include the Raiders lol

Chief Roundup
08-22-2014, 01:31 PM
I do not even have to look at the list.

But I have a feeling the criteria is winning teams consistently. or superbowls.

No it is calculated off of stadium attendance, television viewership, and sales of team specific merchandise.

We have been sucking for a while so all of those numbers are down.

cmh6476
08-22-2014, 01:48 PM
waka waka gives st. joe a bad name

CapsLockKey
08-22-2014, 10:56 PM
Forbes lists of anything sports related has about as much scientific legitimacy as a Maxim top 10 list.

Their 2013 value of the LA Clippers: $575 million

What did they end up selling for?

WakkaWakka
08-22-2014, 11:22 PM
waka waka gives st. joe a bad name

St Joe does that to itself

TimBone
08-22-2014, 11:40 PM
I can assure you bandwagon fans are enjoying the game much more than us die-hards.

Miles
08-23-2014, 01:27 AM
That's a really good post by Rain Man above.

Miles
08-23-2014, 01:36 AM
Living amongst Dallas fans is really annoying. Granted there team has been great at underachieving in recent years. Hearing about how Romo is the worst QB ever despite being pretty damn good and ignoring everything else is not something I look forward to hearing at work this season. Very likely to hear a lot of Manizel talk if the Cowboys lose because of their shit D as well.