PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Bench Fisher if he Struggles vs Titans

OldSchool
09-04-2014, 09:09 AM
And make him earn his starting role at LT. Judging from how poorly he played in the Pre-season, it is in the team's best interest to bench him until the BYE week or until our backups prove that they are actually worse than he is. He needs to focus on gaining functional football strength and getting rid of the bad habits that he developed from playing injured before he sees the football field on Sundays. With the bevy of pass rushers that he is going to be facing this season, it's going to be hell for our offense if Fisher continues to play the way that he has all pre-season.

Here are some coaching staffs who are doing the right thing.

Coach Bruce Arians confirmed that Ted Larsen, not Jonathan Cooper, will start at left guard Week 1.
Arians has grown increasingly frustrated with Cooper and isn't afraid to talk about it. "I don't care about draft status," Arians said of the No. 7 overall pick in 2013. "I want to see the results on the field, and Ted Larsen's way outplayed (Cooper)." Larsen is a 2010 sixth-rounder that was picked up off the scrap heap by the Cards in March, allegedly to serve as depth.

The Titans are keeping their 11th overall pick, Taylor Lewan, as a back-up swing tackle.

No. 2 overall pick G/T Greg Robinson will come off the bench to begin the season.
Robinson was beaten out for right-guard duties by May signee Davin Joseph. Robinson is listed as the top backup to both LT Jake Long and LG Rodger Saffold. His bench status is rather embarrassing for a team that had many other needs, but decided to go with the "best player available" at No. 2 overall. Robinson should make starts at some point in 2014.

The 2nd overall pick in the draft, who is physically the next coming of Orlando Pace, isn't even starting at guard for an OL that desperately needed an infusion of talent.

Judging from what we've seen, Fisher belongs in the same group. He is neither physically nor mentally ready to be facing the elite pass rushers that he will be facing this season.

At this point, I think that Ryan Harris would actually be a better option at LT over Fisher if Fisher ends up struggling against the Titans.

Reerun_KC
09-04-2014, 09:12 AM
He was drafted 1.1 people rejoiced....

You don't draft RT's at 1.1 and not play them regardless...

He is going to go down as one of the biggest draft busts in the history of the NFL...

Because Chiefs.

The Franchise
09-04-2014, 09:14 AM

He is going to go down as one of the biggest draft busts in the history of the NFL...

Because Chiefs.

Outside of the people in that Trufan gif.....no they fucking didn't.

ptlyon

Who the fuck did that?

[queue picture]

ptlyon
Outside of the people in that Trufan gif.....no they ****ing didn't.

dammit

New World Order
09-04-2014, 09:15 AM
Because we are the Chiefs

OldSchool
09-04-2014, 09:18 AM

Because Chiefs.

I am not giving up on him. I'll give him 3 years before I really judge a LT, some of them take a few years to become any good (Joe Staley, Russell Okung, Trent Williams, Monroe, etc) and some look great early on but turn into dog poo later (Jake Long, Matt Kalil, etc).

I'm just saying that he doesn't look ready to play this season at all, like he's still a rookie in training camp.

The Franchise
09-04-2014, 09:18 AM
Honestly....I wouldn't bench him after the 1st week. Fisher gets until the bye week (Week 5 I believe) to prove whether or not he can actually fucking play in this league. If he shits the bed....bench his ass. We'll have Stephenson then...so we can move some players around.

Dayze
09-04-2014, 09:19 AM
No way will Fisher be benched regardless of performance. Its not in the Chiefs DNA

Reerun_KC
09-04-2014, 09:20 AM
[queue picture]That's what I am hoping for....

htismaqe
09-04-2014, 09:20 AM
While it's right for them to make a player earn their spot, it's also important to note that none of those teams are particularly great teams.

Why?

Because benching your top draft picks is indicative of a problem in the personnel evaluation department.

Yes, it might be better for this team to bench Fisher. But if he's REALLY that bad, no amount of better play they might get from Ryan Harris is going to actually FIX things because the problems go much, much deeper.

ptlyon
09-04-2014, 09:21 AM
No way will Fisher be benched regardless of performance. Its not in the Chiefs DNA

The stretcher will have to come out for the golden boy first

Skyy God
09-04-2014, 09:21 AM
Sure, and start who?

Reerun_KC
09-04-2014, 09:23 AM
While it's right for them to make a player earn their spot, it's also important to note that none of those teams are particularly great teams.

Why?

Because benching your top draft picks is indicative of a problem in the personnel evaluation department.

Yes, it might be better for this team to bench Fisher. But if he's REALLY that bad, no amount of better play they might get from Ryan Harris is going to actually FIX things because the problems go much, much deeper.QFT Alert....

I cant think of a draft in the last 800 years that Fisher would of been a top 5 let alone the top over all pick...

You just don't fucking draft OL in the top 5 ever... The first round is for playmakers, not linemen...

You can load up on quality linemen in rounds 3-5....

OldSchool
09-04-2014, 09:23 AM
Honestly....I wouldn't bench him after the 1st week. Fisher gets until the bye week (Week 5 I believe) to prove whether or not he can actually ****ing play in this league. If he shits the bed....bench his ass. We'll have Stephenson then...so we can move some players around.

I would honestly do it after week 2 if his struggles carry over from one game to the next. The Titans will be his easiest game before the BYE week, Denver, Miami, New England, and SF all have legitimate pass rush threats that will destroy Fisher if he doesn't get better quickly.

OldSchool
09-04-2014, 09:24 AM
QFT Alert....

I cant think of a draft in the last 800 years that Fisher would of been a top 5 let alone the top over all pick...

You just don't ****ing draft OL in the top 5 ever... The first round is for playmakers, not linemen...

You can load up on quality linemen in rounds 3-5....

Uh, tell that to every team in the league. There isn't a single team in the NFL that hasn't used a 1st round pick on the offensive line, idiot.ROFL

The Franchise
09-04-2014, 09:28 AM
I would honestly do it after week 2 if his struggles carry over from one game to the next. The Titans will be his easiest game before the BYE week, Denver, Miami, New England, and SF all have legitimate pass rush threats that will destroy Fisher if he doesn't get better quickly.

Which is why he needs to be out there. Soak in the failure on national TV.

Reerun_KC
09-04-2014, 09:37 AM
Uh, tell that to every team in the league. There isn't a single team in the NFL that hasn't used a 1st round pick on the offensive line, idiot.ROFL

Say the idiot that celebrated Fisher at 1.1....

:thumb:'s to you big guy...

Easy 6
09-04-2014, 09:37 AM
I'm with Pest, give him a 4 game final audition... make it or break it.

Reerun_KC
09-04-2014, 09:38 AM
I'm with Pest, give him a 4 game final audition... make it or break it.

Probably our best bet for sure...

BossChief
09-04-2014, 09:41 AM
We keep getting GMs that got lucky in their last jobs to find a TRUE franchise quarterback that carried their respective teams.

Until KC gets an Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre or Tom Brady...we will always be the Chiefs.

A team without a prayer of winning a title.

Sadly, its as easy as that.

Direckshun
09-04-2014, 10:08 AM
Sadly, we pretty much have to play him at LT for at least 2 more years.

Because we are the Chiefs.

New World Order
09-04-2014, 10:10 AM
We keep getting GMs that got lucky in their last jobs to find a TRUE franchise quarterback that carried their respective teams.

Until KC gets an Aaron Rodgers, Brett Favre or Tom Brady...we will always be the Chiefs.

A team without a prayer of winning a title.

Sadly, its as easy as that.

This isn't necessarily true.

tecumseh
09-04-2014, 10:14 AM
If Fisher is replaced, I believe they'll use the lingering injury excuse or he hasn't completely healed to save some face. Not until week 4, though.

Marcellus
09-04-2014, 10:14 AM
Using this logic we would have benched our entire OL the first half of last season.

Brandon Albert while not just getting constantly whipped was a ****ing penalty machine.

Not to mention we already have Stephenson gone for 4 games, we are really going to bench our starting LT after 1 game?

:facepalm:

New World Order
09-04-2014, 10:18 AM
Demarcus Ware is going to tear Fisher a new asshole

Dave Lane
09-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Let him get Smith killed. Multiple problems solved. Thats the way I look at it.

Chiefnj2
09-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Any word on Fisher's sore throat? That could be a nagging problem as the weather gets cooler and his throat becomes parched from too much physical exertion. I hope the KC staff keeps some cepacol on the sideline, or maybe some warm tea with local honey.

Fish
09-04-2014, 10:30 AM
Let's bench John Dorsey instead....

MahiMike
09-04-2014, 10:37 AM
He's played as good as anyone else on that line. This isn't all about him.

Chiefnj2
09-04-2014, 10:43 AM
Cooper was another one of those can't miss, "Safe" prospects.

John Dope
09-04-2014, 10:51 AM
Sure, and start who?

This

Also, they didn't bench Lewis last year and we had a replacement. What makes you think they would bench Fisher?

htismaqe
09-04-2014, 10:56 AM
This

Also, they didn't bench Lewis last year and we had a replacement. What makes you think they would bench Fisher?

They didn't bench Lewis last year because his "replacement" couldn't beat him out.

Icon
09-04-2014, 10:59 AM
Sure, and start who?

Exactly. Stephenson played like dog crap last week. Ryan Harris looked OK against 2nd and 3rd teamers but he was let go for a reason. Our OL is a disaster right now.

Sandy Vagina
09-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Judging from what we've seen, Fisher belongs in the same group. He is neither physically nor mentally ready to be facing the elite pass rushers that he will be facing this season.

At this point, I think that Ryan Harris would actually be a better option at LT over Fisher if Fisher ends up struggling against the Titans.

It's a boring answer... but it all really depends on what the coaches are seeing day to day in practices. I agree that I would hope they elect to put the best 5 OL on the field.. regardless of feelings hurt or draft status.

Rausch
09-04-2014, 11:02 AM
And make him earn his starting role at LT.

This...

John Dope
09-04-2014, 11:02 AM
They didn't bench Lewis last year because his "replacement" couldn't beat him out.

Would it be any different with Fisher if Stephenson were active? He couldn't beat him out last year and he was the replacement.

Rausch
09-04-2014, 11:04 AM
It's a boring answer... but it all really depends on what the coaches are seeing day to day in practices.

No, it's not.

He's failing, consistently, on game day.

Not only in his regular season games his rookie year but even in preseason games this year.

He's not a project - he's the most clear example of a complete failure and bust if there ever was one.

Even Trezelle Jenkins looked respectable run blocking...

Rausch
09-04-2014, 11:05 AM
Would it be any different with Fisher if Stephenson were active? He couldn't beat him out last year and he was the replacement.

He was by far the better player.

Not only could Stephenson play better but he did. If there was a legitimate competition held he'd be our LT right now...

Eleazar
09-04-2014, 11:21 AM
Draft a player to be your future LT with the #1 overall pick.

If he struggles in his first game at LT, bench him.

ChiefsPlanet

Rausch
09-04-2014, 11:22 AM

ChiefsPlanet

So if Rausch was drafted to play LT how long would you make excuses for me?...

Eleazar
09-04-2014, 11:26 AM

If you were one of the top prospects in the NFL draft, I'd give you more than one game at your natural position to prove your worth.

penbrook
09-04-2014, 11:27 AM
Luckily Charles will make this O line look good

Mav
09-04-2014, 11:27 AM
More than one game.

Joe Thomas, the best left tackle in football gave up 3 sacks in his first game.

Frosty
09-04-2014, 11:28 AM

One!

One game!

http://media.nj.com/entertainment_impact/photo/11476366-large.jpg

Rausch
If you were one of the top prospects in the NFL draft, I'd give you more than one game at your natural position to prove your worth.

Fisher got 12.

He was fucking abysmal in 10 of them. He FAILED HORRIBLY AND CONSISTENTLY for most of last year.

At RT.

Now he's given more responsibility on the blind side for no other reason than his draft position.

Welcome to "How teams fail: 101."

The Franchise
More than one game.

Which is why I said that he has until the bye week. I don't know if it's because he's still hurt or recovering from surgery or because he flat out sucks. But if it's because of injury....then fucking sit his ass and let him fully recover.

Mav
09-04-2014, 11:29 AM
Which is why I said that he has until the bye week. I don't know if it's because he's still hurt or recovering from surgery or because he flat out sucks. But if it's because of injury....then fucking sit his ass and let him fully recover.
I was going to say till about week 8 and that's if he completely sucks.

htismaqe
09-04-2014, 11:29 AM

Neither Lewis nor Abdullah are one of the 5 highest-paid players on the team like Fisher...

Rausch
09-04-2014, 11:30 AM
More than one game.

You just compared Joe Thomas, who's probably going to retire a HOF T, to perhaps the biggest T bust ever drafted...

htismaqe
09-04-2014, 11:30 AM
More than one game.

Joe Thomas didn't play poorly at RT his entire rookie season.

Mav
09-04-2014, 11:31 AM
Joe Thomas didn't play poorly at RT his entire rookie season.
Well, rt vs lt, and a jump in competition.

Eric Fisher wasn't any where near the prospect joe was. That was my point.

Rausch
09-04-2014, 11:33 AM

No, that wasn't your point...

Mav
09-04-2014, 11:34 AM
No, that wasn't your point...
Well yes. If joe Thomas the best prospect since ogden to come out can have a bad first game, giving Fisher more than one is probably okay.

Jerk.

Eleazar
09-04-2014, 11:36 AM
Well, rt vs lt, and a jump in competition.

Fisher is a player who was perceived to have a high ceiling but would need work. Then he battled the shoulder last year, and his strength was an issue, those things are probably related. That's what I've read around here, anyway. This is a sort of season 1.5 for him.

This year I expect him to be playing better at the end of the year than he did in the preseason. He's not going to become great overnight, if he ever does, but he's not going to become anything from the bench.

What I read on Chiefsplanet is that this season is a lost cause, so... why not let the young guys play and learn?

Rausch
09-04-2014, 11:39 AM
Well yes. If joe Thomas the best prospect since ogden to come out can have a bad first game, giving Fisher more than one is probably okay.

HE'S PLAYED LIKE ASS IN 10 FUCKING GAMES.

Jerk.

Fucking moron...

Mav
09-04-2014, 11:44 AM
HE'S PLAYED LIKE ASS IN 10 FUCKING GAMES.

Fucking moron...
I was being playful. Settle your pants.

Okay so he struggled at rt.

He is goingg to struggle again. You asked how long would I give you. I said more than 1.

I would give Fisher if healthy a minimum of 8 games at left tackle.

I guess that makes me a moron.

htismaqe
09-04-2014, 11:45 AM

Jerk.

This will be Fisher's 14th game as a starter, not his 1st.

Rausch
09-04-2014, 11:46 AM
I would give Fisher if healthy a minimum of 8 games at left tackle.

I guess that makes me a moron.

I'd agree...

Mav
09-04-2014, 11:49 AM
This will be Fisher's 14th game as a starter, not his 1st.
1st at Lt. It's a different animal. At least to me.

ModSocks
09-04-2014, 11:49 AM
LMAO

Bench him for who? I'd rather let a 2nd year guy suck and hopefully develop than to just plug in some vet who we already know sucks and has already reached his ceiling.

It's stupid to even mention it. Not sure if anyone has realized it yet....but uh.....our Oline sucks from top to bottom.

htismaqe
09-04-2014, 11:52 AM

According to his position coach, it's no big deal. Andy Heck said the move from right to left is "no big deal".

Mav
09-04-2014, 11:54 AM
According to his position coach, it's no big deal. Andy Heck said the move from right to left is "no big deal".
I would tend to disagree. But we will see.

Maybe he just sucks. Shrugs.

Rausch
09-04-2014, 11:55 AM
LMAO

Bench him for who? I'd rather let a 2nd year guy suck and hopefully develop than to just plug in some vet who we already know sucks and has already reached his ceiling.

It's stupid to even mention it. Not sure if anyone has realized it yet....but uh.....our Oline sucks from top to bottom.

We made the decision to have this line.

We didn't have to sign all or even any of our FA's.

We completely ignored our areas of weakness in the draft as well.

And when trades were available, well, we ignored those too...

ModSocks
09-04-2014, 11:58 AM
We made the decision to have this line.

We didn't have to sign all or even any of our FA's.

We completely ignored our areas of weakness in the draft as well.

And when trades were available, well, we ignored those too...

Yeah....

Still doesn't mean benching Fisher for yet another useless scrub is a good idea.

JFC why am i even posting in blackbob thread about a stupid blackbob idea.

ptlyon
09-04-2014, 11:59 AM

I thought he was a LT in college?

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2014, 12:25 PM

Because Chiefs.

Damn, I love it when someone nails it right from the very get-go.

BigBeauford
09-04-2014, 12:28 PM

If anything, LT is much harder. So by him sucking ass at right tackle, I have next to no confidence at LT.

splatbass
09-04-2014, 12:30 PM

This meme has been old and overused since the first day.

splatbass
09-04-2014, 12:36 PM

This meme has been old and overused since the first day.

ptlyon
09-04-2014, 12:41 PM
Splatbass caused a glitch in the matrix

chiefzilla1501
09-04-2014, 12:50 PM
Fisher should be benched if he keeps avoiding using a whole arm to block. But with Stephenson out, there's no good backup option.

Bufkin
09-04-2014, 12:52 PM
Good God I can't wait until Fisher wins his first Pro Bowl birth. And his first All-Pro birth. And every other accolade that an elite left tackle earns in NFL. This place will be unbearable.

Dinny Bossa Nova
09-04-2014, 01:03 PM

So....

Jimmya
09-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Sirius radio talked about this being a make it or break it year for Fisher. Most of the talk centered around him being a bad pick at number 1.

Dave Lane
09-04-2014, 01:54 PM
You just compared Joe Thomas, who's probably going to retire a HOF T, to perhaps the biggest T bust ever drafted...

He's number 1 he's number 1

htismaqe
09-04-2014, 01:56 PM
Good God I can't wait until Fisher wins his first Pro Bowl birth. And his first All-Pro birth. And every other accolade that an elite left tackle earns in NFL. This place will be unbearable.

Are you hoping that all that success finally convinces him to marry you?

Or are you his sister?

Jimmya
09-04-2014, 02:04 PM
I'm rooting for the guy because it will help us be stable on the oline.

John Dope
09-04-2014, 02:05 PM
The other day I was looking at the thread about him being injured and about to miss the playoff game. So many of you guys were really disappointed he would be out and acknowledged that he had turned the corner. Why the big change of heart? I know you hate him now like you did when he was drafted over a QB but, why forget how he finished the season? Was it his play in the preseason or what? This place would be a sociologists wet dream.

splatbass
09-04-2014, 02:53 PM

ChiefsPlanet

There sure are a lot of deep thinkers here, huh?

Beef Supreme
09-04-2014, 02:57 PM
Doesn't really matter if Fisher sucks or not, we don't have anybody else.

splatbass
09-04-2014, 02:57 PM

Coach speak. They never say a player is going to struggle for a while getting used to a different position, even though they are.

htismaqe
09-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Coach speak. They never say a player is going to struggle for a while getting used to a different position, even though they are.

You'd like to think that.

Unfortunately, within 10 minutes of Andy Heck saying that the position switch was no big deal and that Fisher's SHOULDER was the problem, Doug Pederson told the same reporter that the shoulder was no big deal and it was the position switch that was the problem.

splatbass
09-04-2014, 02:59 PM
Splatbass caused a glitch in the matrix

Yeah, my Roadrunner was crapping out again, I didn't know it made two posts. 5 minutes apart. :doh!:

htismaqe
09-04-2014, 03:00 PM
And while I'm not in favor of benching Fisher SOLELY because he's playing poorly, I absolutely am in favor of holding him out if it truly is his shoulder that's the problem.

If his shoulder is screwed up and they're not letting it heal, he will NEVER develop into a good player. He'll be stuck like this forever.

htismaqe
09-04-2014, 03:00 PM
Yeah, my Roadrunner was crapping out again, I didn't know it made two posts. 5 minutes apart. :doh!:

It's the CP server, not your cable. :thumb:

Sandy Vagina
09-04-2014, 03:17 PM
And while I'm not in favor of benching Fisher SOLELY because he's playing poorly, I absolutely am in favor of holding him out if it truly is his shoulder that's the problem.

If his shoulder is screwed up and they're not letting it heal, he will NEVER develop into a good player. He'll be stuck like this forever.

absolutely agree...

Mav
09-04-2014, 03:36 PM
You'd like to think that.

Unfortunately, within 10 minutes of Andy Heck saying that the position switch was no big deal and that Fisher's SHOULDER was the problem, Doug Pederson told the same reporter that the shoulder was no big deal and it was the position switch that was the problem.
I have heard so much double speak from coaches this of season lol. The media has way too much access.

htismaqe
09-04-2014, 03:38 PM
I have heard so much double speak from coaches this of season lol. The media has way too much access.

It is what it is.

Although in this case, I think the fact they're giving 2 different stories means it's not typical coach speak - something is up with Fisher and it's not good.

Mav
09-04-2014, 03:40 PM
It is what it is.

Although in this case, I think the fact they're giving 2 different stories means it's not typical coach speak - something is up with Fisher and it's not good.
I maintain that they probably would have left him at right tackle if not for Stephenson getting suspended.
Jmo

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-04-2014, 03:49 PM

I give birth to Fissure daily. Usually in the AM.

chiefzilla1501
09-04-2014, 04:56 PM

It might be that he's a big pussy. But there is no doubt that he's not playing with both shoulders much of the time. Lots of plays where his hurt shoulder arm is just dangling on the side while making a block.

Eleazar
09-04-2014, 05:33 PM
I maintain that they probably would have left him at right tackle if not for Stephenson getting suspended.
Jmo

I think they were moving him to LT all along. It was why Albert was let go, apart from his contract demands.

We are invested in Fisher now, like it or not, so we need to give him the opportunity to play and develop.

splatbass
09-04-2014, 05:37 PM
We are invested in Fisher now, like it or not, so we need to give him the opportunity to play and develop.

This.

CoMoChief
09-04-2014, 05:44 PM
At what point do you stop making excuses for Fisher? I mean where is the line drawn? The guy was drafted 1 overall and undrafted guys are working his shit. His confidence is rapidly falling and the pressure to perform well is increasing. If hes hurt then he shouldn't play. He's barely average when he's healthy.

John Dope
09-04-2014, 05:45 PM
At what point do you stop making excuses for Fisher? I mean where is the line drawn? The guy was drafted 1 overall and undrafted guys are working his shit. His confidence is rapidly falling and the pressure to perform well is increasing. If hes hurt then he shouldn't play. He's barely average when he's healthy.

Generally, you know exactly what you have in a player after three years.

GordonGekko
09-04-2014, 05:53 PM
It would be just a great great relief if Fisher turned into a franchise cornerstone for the next 12 years. This franchise needs something to go right after the playoff loss and it would be marvelous if this guy could lock down the position for a decade. Wishful thinking I know.

I say let him play a good 6 games or so and if he is just horrible, switch him back to RT and maybe even to guard similar to what happened to Robert Gallery.