PDA

View Full Version : Other Sports Ron Washington Resigns as Texas Rangers skipper.

God of Thunder
09-05-2014, 03:22 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-league-stew/ron-washington-resigns-as-rangers-manager--cites--personal-matter-195736818.html

A day after the disappointing Texas Rangers were the first MLB team officially eliminated from postseason play, manager Ron Washington announced his resignation after eight seasons.

Washington says, however, his decision isn't because of the Rangers' poor 53-87 performance this season, but rather because of a personal matter. The Rangers issued a statement on Washington's behalf:

“Today, I have submitted my resignation from the job I love — managing the Rangers – in order to devote my full attention to addressing an off-the-field personal matter. As painful as it is, stepping away from the game is what’s best for me and my family.
“This is in no way related to the disappointing performance of the team this season. We were already discussing 2015 and looking forward to getting the Rangers back to postseason contention.
“I deeply regret that I’ve let down the Rangers organization and our great fans. Over the past eight seasons, it’s been a privilege to be part of some of the best years in club history and I will always be grateful for the opportunities I’ve had here, and for the great management, players, and coaches who have made our time here a success. Thank you for respecting my privacy.”
View photo
.(Getty Images)
(Getty Images)
Washington took the Rangers to the World Series twice — in 2010 and 2011, but lost both. Over his time in Texas, Washington accumulated a 664-611 record. He was beloved by players and didn't seem to be on the hot seat with management.

Despite the Rangers' struggles this season, it was hard to pin much of it on Washington. The team has been devastated by injuries, with its players spending more time on the disabled list than any other in baseball. Starting pitchers Derek Holland, Martin Perez, Matt Harrison all missed significant time. Prince Fielder missed most of the season and Jurickson Profar didn't play at all.

It doesn't sound like we'll hear the whole story here, as Washington is requesting his privacy and is respected enough around baseball to get it. But when many people hear "personal issues" associated with Washington, they're likely to think back to his failed cocaine test in 2009. However, Rangers general manager Jon Daniels said during a Friday afternoon press conference that wasn't the case.

This makes the second manager change this season in MLB. Bo Porter was fired Monday. Those two moves leave Lloyd McClendon as the only African-American manager in baseball.

Tim Bogar, the Rangers' bench coach, will be the team's interim manager for the rest of the season. He's never managed in the big leagues, but managed several seasons in the minors.

gblowfish
09-05-2014, 03:32 PM
He did a Tony Peņa. At least he had the courtesy to wait until September instead of abandoning his team in May.

Skyy God
09-05-2014, 03:46 PM
To pursue his true passion, cocaine.

Strongside
09-05-2014, 03:47 PM
He's just signed a huge deal as the new Marlboro man.

lewdog
09-05-2014, 04:17 PM
DO NOT WANT

Hammock Parties
09-05-2014, 04:31 PM
http://assets.adamriff.com/images/ron_washington.gif

Why Not?
09-05-2014, 05:05 PM
DO NOT WANT

Agreed. He makes the short list of managers I actually would keep Ned over. It might only be him and Kirk Gibson, come to think of it.

lewdog
09-05-2014, 05:06 PM
Agreed. He makes the short list of managers I actually would keep Ned over. It might only be him and Kirk Gibson, come to think of it.

Add Robin Ventura and that's a pretty terrible list.

Why Not?
09-05-2014, 05:08 PM
Add Robin Ventura and that's a pretty terrible list.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Nolan's bitch.