PDA

View Full Version : Football Bengals sign Still for daughters cancer treatment

Kaepernick
09-05-2014, 06:05 PM
The Cincinnati Bengals appeared to have moved on from former second-round defensive tackle Devon Still when they cut him this preseason. Still, 25, certainly has looked like a bust to this point in his career, and his preseason play was not an indication he had come around.

However, Still has had much bigger and better things on his mind than football. His 4-year-old daughter, Leah, was diagnosed with stage 4 pediatric cancer back in June.

So when training camp came around, Still lost some desire to play. The Bengals had no choice but to cut him.

“I completely understand where the Bengals were coming from when they cut me because I couldn’t give football 100 percent right now,” Still told ABC News.

But there's a silver lining to this story. The Bengals re-signed him to their practice squad, and the $6,300 weekly salary and medical insurance will go a long way to help Leah. Still is eminently grateful for the team's gesture when he knows they simply could have made what NFL teams like to call "business decisions."

“They could have washed their hands with me and said they didn’t care about what I was going through off the field,” Still said. “It’s like a blessing in disguise for me.”

As a member of the practice squad, Still will practice with the team but not travel. That means he has more time to spend by Leah's side. Blessing in disguise indeed.

“We’re going to go to battle with cancer,” Still said. “She’s willing to put up a fight to beat it.”

Still told the world about Leah on Instagram this summer. Her picture is all over his page.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/bengals-bring-back-still-to-help-him-pay-for-daughter-s-cancer-treatment-032403812.html

Kaepernick
09-05-2014, 06:07 PM
Sad to hear anybody getting cancer.

But those 4 years olds... She is still just a kitten.

Man, my screen is going all blurry and dim.

New World Order
09-05-2014, 06:11 PM
What a wonderful story. God bless them.

OldSchool
09-05-2014, 06:38 PM
I don't blame him for losing some interest in football with that happening to his kid. But shouldn't he be trying his best for her as well? You know, to make sure she gets the best care possible? But I guess being able to be there for her all of the time is pretty important as well and may mean more than money can buy.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-05-2014, 06:43 PM
Publicity at its finest

pr_capone
09-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Publicity at its finest

I am as cynical as they come... but you have me beat by a country mile.

I tip my hat to you sir.

Bufkin
09-05-2014, 06:46 PM
Leah is a pretty name.

Kaepernick
09-05-2014, 06:50 PM
Publicity at its finest

Edit: Never mind. Keep the thread positive. Prayers up for a little girl who is about out of time on this earth.

Pitt Gorilla
09-05-2014, 06:51 PM
kids getting cancer is complete bull****.

Kaepernick
09-05-2014, 06:55 PM
kids getting cancer is complete bull****.

It is baffling. Adults -- we abuse ourselves and have it coming and it still takes years of abusing yourself.

What did little kids ever do to get cancer? It is as tragic as it is unfair. At least there is one team that took on one guy to help. Kudos. It may just help him bear up a little better after she is gone. You can bet he is going to play his heart out.

Iconic
09-05-2014, 07:14 PM
Noice.

Bob Dole
09-05-2014, 07:20 PM
As someone who did not get to have a big sister because leukemia took her at 2, this is a pretty awesome move by the Bengals organization. Kudos.

Chiefaholic
09-05-2014, 07:38 PM
Major props to the Bengals for providing a spot on the practice squad to help with the financial problems. We went through the same thing with our grandson a little over a year ago. But, we were fortunate enough to catch it in stage 2 and Cody is now a 3 year old healthy boy with a bright future. God Bless Devon and his family and I pray he'll be lucky enough to watch his daughter grow up to live life to it's fullest.

DaFace
09-05-2014, 07:47 PM
Publicity at its finest

I know you like to jokingly troll, so I'm guessing that's the case here. However...

Even if the Bengals actually thought of the PR aspects of something like this, who cares? If NFL teams decided to help out kids with cancer for PR all the time, it'd be more than worth it.

stumppy
09-05-2014, 08:02 PM
Gonna have to root for the Bengals now . That is, any time they're not playing the Chiefs.

Leah is my 5 year old grandaughters name. Gonna call the grandkids right now.

L.A. Chieffan
09-05-2014, 08:10 PM
Fuck cancer

Why Not?
09-05-2014, 08:54 PM
Just when I thought I would never have any reason to like the Bengals. And I agree, it's fucked for kids to have cancer

Rasputin
09-05-2014, 10:22 PM
Marvin Lewis is a hell of a good coach. I wish he was our HC.

He may not take the Bengals to the Super Bowl just because Bengals but I think he is a hell of a guy and has balls to stand up to owners bull shit.

jonzie04
09-05-2014, 11:03 PM
Fuck, very awesome thing to do. I am now a Bengals fan. Will definitely root for them so long as they aren't playing the chiefs.

Gadzooks
09-05-2014, 11:39 PM
Nice move by the Bengals, (even though they would have been shit on if they didn't do it). GO LEAH!!!

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-14-2014, 10:00 AM
Still's interview with ESPN just ran. Heartbreaking. He seems like a real good dude and I am hoping for the best.

Kaepernick
09-14-2014, 10:07 AM
Still's interview with ESPN just ran. Heartbreaking. He seems like a real good dude and I am hoping for the best.

Sorry I missed it.

rockymtnchief
09-14-2014, 10:12 AM
http://www.fox19.com/story/26500735/devon-stills-jersey-continues-record-sales-saints-place-bulk-order

Lonewolf Ed
09-14-2014, 10:13 AM
Even with all that is going on with me, when they are coming at me with needles and prepping me for this and that, when I see a kid wheeled by with the tubes and the bald head and looking so worn down and weak, I can't think of anything else but that poor child.

Cancer, you can go back to hell where you came from with all the other diseases, maladies, and foul stinks.

Hydrae
09-14-2014, 10:14 AM
http://www.fox19.com/story/26500735/devon-stills-jersey-continues-record-sales-saints-place-bulk-order

Verbiage from the link. Good on the Saints too!

CINCINNATI (FOX19) -
The story of Bengals defensive tackle Devon Still and his 4-year-old daughter Leah, who is battling stage 4 neuroblastoma cancer, continues to be one of the most remarkable stories we've heard around the NFL in years.

Hours after Still was signed to the Bengals active roster on Wednesday, his jersey sales went through the roof. The New Orleans Saints placed an order for 100 jerseys, boosting the two-day total well beyond one thousand jerseys sold, according to Jeff Berding, the Bengals' director of sales and public affairs.

All proceeds of Still's jersey will go to benefit Cincinnati Children's Hospital and pediatric cancer care and research.

"Surprised and grateful are the words I would use," said Still. "I didn't expect so many people to support this. I think it's huge for pediatric cancer that everybody is bringing awareness to this. It just shows how much the world of sports has an impact on what's going on in this world."

Each Still jersey is selling for $100, plus tax. There are no jerseys available in the pro shop at this time. Orders placed will be delivered in the next four weeks and must be made through the Bengals to benefit pediatric cancer research.

In58men
09-14-2014, 10:18 AM
Father in law passed away last Wednesday at the age of 57 from cancer. Such bullshit.

JohnnyHammersticks
09-14-2014, 10:29 AM
The way I see it, the Bengals are neck-and-neck with us in terms of the worst NFL franchise in the last 40 years.

Looks like we hold the top spot all by ourselves now.

Maybe we should sign Steve Gleason.