PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs PFF: Chiefs vs. Titans

The Franchise
09-08-2014, 02:53 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/08/refo-titans-chiefs-week-1/

The Tennessee Titans and Kansas City Chiefs matchup started very slowly as both defenses consistently stopped the opposing offenses. It wasn’t until late in the second quarter that the Titans offense finally got out of first gear, but once they did the Chiefs never looked like mounting a comeback.

The game was won in the trenches, especially the difficulty the Chiefs’ offensive line had against the new 3-4 Titans defense. The Chiefs provided little running room for Jamaal Charles and had to rely on the passing without the suspended Dwayne Bowe, and as you would expect, their passing game struggled to provide any spark.

Tennessee Titans – Performances of Note

Jurrell Casey, DE: +7.0

Breakdown: In his new role, Casey looked like he has been playing as 3-4 defensive end his whole life. Providing consistent push in the run game, he helped the Titans’ defense to limit Jamaal Charles to only 19 yards on seven attempts. As a pass rusher, Casey ended the game with a 14.6 Pass Rushing Productivity, due to three hits and seven total pressures.

Signature Play: Third quarter 9:32 Casey pushes Mike McGlynn 3 yards into the backfield and then makes the tackle for no gain when Charles cuts behind it.

Derrick Morgan, OLB: +6.5

Breakdown: Another of the supposedly miscast players in the 3-4 defense. Morgan was dropped into coverage 12 times, targeted twice. One was a 6-yard completion the other was a pass deflection when he was covering Travis Kelce on a seam route downfield. Morgan was able to take advantage of the Chiefs putting starting left guard, Jeff Allen, at right tackle as Morgan took it to Allen and backup Ryan Harris all day long.

Signature Stat: Morgan only rushed the Passer 31 of his 54 snaps, but he was effective with seven total pressures and a Pass rushing Productivity of 17.5.

Michael Oher, RT and Chance Warmack, RG: -4.1 (in run blocking, combined)

Breakdown: The Titans’ performance as a whole was very good, though there were a couple of issues that could linger. Oher and Warmack both had some struggles in the run game, a difficulty consistently sealing their blocks at the point of attack. Oher, however, produced a solid day in pass protection allowing only one pressure (a sack) on a play where Locker had enough time to get rid of the ball.

Signature Play: Fourth quarter 8:46 Oher is stood up at the point of attack by Alvin Bailey who then makes the tackle for a 1-yard gain.

Kansas City Chiefs – Performances of Note

Chris Owens, CB: -3.2

Breakdown: With Marcus Cooper out, the Chiefs used Owens as their third cornerback. The Titans managed to pick on him for seven catches and 88 yards. While those numbers aren’t huge, Owens’ grade drops because of two missed tackles. One of the missed tackles was against Justin Hunter the other against Leon Washington allowing him to convert for a first down.

Signature Stat: Owens was targeted every 4.1 snaps he was on the field and allowed a reception every 4.7 snaps.

Travis Kelce, TE: +1.2

Breakdown: The lone bright spot on the Chiefs’ offense against the Titans was preseason standout, tight end Travis Kelce. Targeted fives times for three catches and 49 yards, Kelce continued to show that he’ll be a matchup issue for linebackers in coverage. Promise from his strong preseason.

Signature Play: Second quarter 11:48 – while this is not the most difficult play that Kelce will have to make, it shows how dangerous he can be against linebackers.

Offensive Line (-17.3)

Breakdown: We all know the Chiefs had issues on their offensive line going into this matchup with the loss of three free agents and the suspension of Donald Stephenson. That last bit gave the Chiefs the bright idea of putting Jeff Allen at right tackle. Allen is a below average guard and putting him at tackle was a disaster, not because Allen was poor at right tackle – he ended with a -2.9 – but the recently signed Mike McGlynn took over at left guard. McGlynn was what he has shown time and again: a player who struggles against the majority of the NFL. If you want to find some sliver lining from the Chiefs offensive line, it is possible to look at sixth-round rookie Zach Fulton who had some difficulties in run blocking (-1.9) but posted a -0.6 as a pass blocker.

Signature Stat: The Chiefs’ offensive line as a unit gave up 18 Total Pressures and had a 68.9 Pass Blocking Efficiency. (second lowest of the week)

PFF Game Ball

After a strong season last year as 4-3 DT Jurrell Casey gets the game ball in his new position as a 3-4 end.

notorious
09-08-2014, 02:57 PM
It turns out that they can define failure with a number.

KC_Lee
09-08-2014, 02:59 PM
Condensed version; KC sucked and will suck for the foreseeable future.

JakeLV
09-08-2014, 03:00 PM
Incompetence quantified.

Wonderful

FlaChief58
09-08-2014, 03:00 PM
damn, and here I thought I was having a bad dream. Turns out that shit was real

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-08-2014, 03:03 PM
Looks good on paper.

Chiefnj2
09-08-2014, 03:04 PM
Casey went against McGlynn and Fisher?

Ming the Merciless
09-08-2014, 03:07 PM
but according to some the O-Line looked great

LOL

what a mess

Ming the Merciless
09-08-2014, 03:08 PM
Anyone got a subscription to post the numbers of the individual OL?

Hammock Parties
09-08-2014, 03:11 PM
Can we get the Alex breakdown? I didn't subscribe this year.

Rain Man
09-08-2014, 03:12 PM
Which tackle was Casey up against? Fisher or Allen/Harris?

milkman
09-08-2014, 03:13 PM

LOL

what a mess

The O-Line didn't look good to anyone.

It was just bad, which is a shit ton better than we expected.

Sandy Vagina
09-08-2014, 03:16 PM
Anyone got a subscription to post the numbers of the individual OL?

run block first, then pass

Fisher - -0.4 ----------- -2.3
McGlynn - -3.9 --------- -1.6
HUdson - -2.2 ---------- -0.4
Fulton - -1.9 ----------- -0.6
Allen - -0.4 ------------ -2.7

Link - -1 --------------- 0.1
Harris - -0.5 ----------- -0.5

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-08-2014, 03:18 PM

Improvement!

Ming the Merciless
09-08-2014, 03:22 PM
The O-Line didn't look good to anyone.

It was just bad, which is a shit ton better than we expected.

You expected it to be worse than 31st?

hometeam
09-08-2014, 03:31 PM
I would like to see individual grades. People keep saying that Fisher was good but every time I noticed him yesterday he was in the ground.. just like pre-season.

edit: Saw them. All I have to say is LOL.

scho63
09-08-2014, 03:41 PM
https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/09/08/refo-titans-chiefs-week-1/

Kansas City Chiefs – Performances of Note

Offensive Line (-17.3)

Breakdown: We all know the Chiefs had issues on their offensive line going into this matchup with the loss of three free agents and the suspension of Donald Stephenson. That last bit gave the Chiefs the bright idea of putting Jeff Allen at right tackle. Allen is a below average guard and putting him at tackle was a disaster, not because Allen was poor at right tackle – he ended with a -2.9 – but the recently signed Mike McGlynn took over at left guard. McGlynn was what he has shown time and again: a player who struggles against the majority of the NFL. If you want to find some sliver lining from the Chiefs offensive line, it is possible to look at sixth-round rookie Zach Fulton who had some difficulties in run blocking (-1.9) but posted a -0.6 as a pass blocker.

Signature Stat: The Chiefs’ offensive line as a unit gave up 18 Total Pressures and had a 68.9 Pass Blocking Efficiency. (second lowest of the week)

:Lin::Lin::Lin::Lin::Lin::Lin::Lin::Lin::Lin::Lin::Lin::Lin::Lin:

chiefzilla1501
09-08-2014, 04:03 PM

LOL

what a mess

The o-line was passable yesterday. They weren't even close to the biggest problem. More than anything, looked to me like Alex Smith held the ball entirely too long most of the game. A lot of that is because the receivers didn't get open, but Smith in general just played a terrible game.

OldSchool
09-08-2014, 04:04 PM

LOL

what a mess

They didn't look good. They just looked better than expected.

It's pathetic that they allowed pressure on over 50% of the passing plays. That's just unacceptable.

hometeam
09-08-2014, 04:05 PM
The o-line was passable yesterday. They weren't even close to the biggest problem. More than anything, looked to me like Alex Smith held the ball entirely too long most of the game. A lot of that is because the receivers didn't get open, but Smith in general just played a terrible game.

There where a few plays when he had plenty of protection and even open receivers, and still didn't get it done. Not saying the rest of the team didn't suck ass, because they did. But, when you combine Smith's lack of being able to pull the trigger, with bad oline and receiver play, you get exponential suck.

Ming the Merciless
09-08-2014, 04:08 PM
The o-line was passable yesterday.

They were 31st according to PFF

We allowed 4 sacks not to mention the hurries and pressures

We couldnt run the ball

No, they were not passable, to me.

OldSchool
09-08-2014, 04:08 PM
There where a few plays when he had plenty of protection and even open receivers, and still didn't get it done. Not saying the rest of the team didn't suck ass, because they did. But, when you combine Smith's lack of being able to pull the trigger, with bad oline and receiver play, you get exponential suck.

Titans secondary was far superior to our WRs on Sunday, they simply weren't getting it done outside the vast majority of the time. We needed to focus more on using the TEs and Charles, we didn't. Completely failure of a game plan.

OldSchool
09-08-2014, 04:09 PM

ROFL

31st in the league is passable? Only on CP.:LOL:

chiefzilla1501
09-08-2014, 04:13 PM
They were 31st according to PFF

We allowed 4 sacks not to mention the hurries and pressures

We couldnt run the ball

No, they were not passable, to me.

The run blocking was bad but a lot of that was also because the defense was crowding the box. We have to be able to stretch the defense vertical or wide. We couldn't do either.

I would be curious to see how many times Smith held onto the ball longer than he should have. That looked like a lot bigger of a problem than the o-line giving up immediate pressures. The interior pocket was collapsing more than it should have but there were countless times where Smith took WAY too long to get rid of the ball.

SAUTO
09-08-2014, 04:15 PM

How about alex smiths grade?
Posted via Mobile Device

OldSchool
09-08-2014, 04:16 PM
The run blocking was bad but a lot of that was also because the defense was crowding the box. We have to be able to stretch the defense vertical or wide. We couldn't do either.

I would be curious to see how many times Smith held onto the ball longer than he should have. That looked like a lot bigger of a problem than the o-line giving up immediate pressures. The interior pocket was collapsing more than it should have but there were countless times where Smith took WAY too long to get rid of the ball.

Gee, I wonder why. Maybe it's because our practice squad level WR core was struggling to get open against a pretty good secondary?

Sandy Vagina
09-08-2014, 04:19 PM
How about alex smiths grade?
Posted via Mobile Device

They refused to give him a grade.. instead simply writing shit next to his name. Their categorization of shit was defined as "a player with a grade of -39 or worse". :thumb:

chiefzilla1501
09-08-2014, 04:21 PM
Gee, I wonder why. Maybe it's because our practice squad level WR core was struggling to get open against a pretty good secondary?

I don't know. I don't have coaches film to know if receivers were getting open. I know it's not fair to blame a lot of pressures and sacks on the o-line if the QB isn't getting rid of the ball quickly.

hometeam
09-08-2014, 04:22 PM
I don't know. I don't have coaches film to know if receivers were getting open. I know it's not fair to blame a lot of pressures and sacks on the o-line if the QB isn't getting rid of the ball quickly.

They where not, but nobody else was doing shit either. The cool thing about the Chiefs is the suck is not only limited to just one facet of the team.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-08-2014, 04:23 PM
The line was as dogs hit as the QB and WRs

Ming the Merciless
09-08-2014, 04:24 PM

PFF said he was getting pressured 50% of the time or 1/2 of passing plays.

I guess the question would be do they have some sort of set time they go by to determine whether the QB holds the ball too long?

Also, they graded everyone pretty badly on pass protection, so I am assuming if he were merely holding the ball too long, the grades would be higher...as opposed to 31st our of 32

OldSchool
09-08-2014, 04:25 PM

Yeah, I know. But the OL did not look good at all out there giving up pressure on over half of the snaps. They were a bit better than expected but they weren't good enough for anyone to be able to establish a rhythm with offensively. Our WR core did not help at all and Andy Reid's play calling didn't help.

hometeam
09-08-2014, 04:26 PM
Yeah, I know. But the OL did not look good at all out there giving up pressure on over half of the snaps. They were a bit better than expected but they weren't good enough for anyone to be able to establish a rhythm with offensively. Our WR core did not help at all and Andy Reid's play calling didn't help.

You will never get an offensive rhythm going with JC getting 5 carries. Reid gave up on the run WAY too soon.

REDHOTGTO
09-08-2014, 04:27 PM
whats all this mean ?
I'm going golfin the next 6 weeks in a row on sunday instead of spending my off day watchin these clowns, thanks andy

Ming the Merciless
09-08-2014, 04:28 PM
You will never get an offensive rhythm going with JC getting 5 carries. Reid gave up on the run WAY too soon.

Guess he didnt learn SHIT from the last game he called that mattered....

RealSNR
09-08-2014, 04:47 PM
ROFL

Alex had plenty of time to throw and make shit work on 90% of his dropbacks.

Every time he attempted that fuckfart throw to Donnie Avery, he had a completely clean pocket.

Coaching and playcalling didn't do any favors for this offensive line, which was already miserable and awful to begin with.

SAUTO
09-08-2014, 05:01 PM
They refused to give him a grade.. instead simply writing shit next to his name. Their categorization of shit was defined as "a player with a grade of -39 or worse". :thumb:

Yeah I didn't think you would post it.
Posted via Mobile Device

lcarus
09-08-2014, 05:13 PM
McGlynn got abused alllllll damn day.

OldSchool
09-08-2014, 05:17 PM

Every time he attempted that ****fart throw to Donnie Avery, he had a completely clean pocket.

Coaching and playcalling didn't do any favors for this offensive line, which was already miserable and awful to begin with.

The run plays that Charles did get were pathetically blocked and he couldn't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. So much for Charles making this OL look better.

Then Reid tried to rely on the passing game while keeping his best remaining threats, Kelce and Charles, completely out of the passing game as well in favor of a bunch of PS level WRs.

It was just a really shitting job coaching. The lack of touches for Charles should tell you all that you need to know. I think that Avery saw the ball more than Charles did, that's just pathetic game planning.

Sandy Vagina
09-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Yeah I didn't think you would post it.
Posted via Mobile Device

was attempting humor while making Alex look worse than he was, stupid.

... PFF has Smith at a -2 grade... better than Geno's -2.9 grade. LMAO

and Romo's -4.6 grade! LMAO

OldSchool
09-08-2014, 05:23 PM

and Romo's -4.6 grade! LMAO

No no, this can't be right. Alex Smith is the absolute worst QB in the NFL. There are at least 32 backups in the league and 15 college QBs who could walk in and take his job right now. /CP ROFL

SAUTO
09-08-2014, 05:32 PM

and Romo's -4.6 grade! LMAOI never asked or said a word about geno or romo. That's called deflection.
Posted via Mobile Device

Sandy Vagina
09-08-2014, 05:37 PM
I never asked or said a word about geno or romo. That's called deflection.
Posted via Mobile Device

no, that's called lagniappe for my own amusement.

http://media2.giphy.com/media/Qq7Hl4thKI2GI/giphy.gif

Three7s
09-08-2014, 05:57 PM

Every time he attempted that ****fart throw to Donnie Avery, he had a completely clean pocket.

I was talking to my dad about this awhile back. With the lack of talent in the O-line, secondary, and WR corp, this team WILL win 4 games max, and probably less than that. The only chance that changes is if Bowe has a career year and Cooper turns into Revis, and even then, we might only win 5-7 games.

This is an awful team, folks.

chiefzilla1501
09-08-2014, 06:00 PM
The run plays that Charles did get were pathetically blocked and he couldn't make chicken salad out of chicken shit. So much for Charles making this OL look better.

Then Reid tried to rely on the passing game while keeping his best remaining threats, Kelce and Charles, completely out of the passing game as well in favor of a bunch of PS level WRs.

It was just a really shitting job coaching. The lack of touches for Charles should tell you all that you need to know. I think that Avery saw the ball more than Charles did, that's just pathetic game planning.

"They primarily went with a cover 3 look or a cover 4 with a cheat safety look," Reid said. "Both are good run stopping coverages. They played gaps and started shooting the gaps. It wasn't anything that should have deterred us off the run game as much as it did."

It was poor game planning. The run blocking wasn't good but the Titans were clearly stacking to stop the run. The pass pro wasn't good but they gave more than enough opportunities to make plays. This is on the passing game. There's no defending Alex Smith for this game. It was just bad. I don't think he's as bad as he played. But yesterday he was not good. The o-line played better than I expected because I thought they'd be a disaster. Smith has played far better with much worse protection.

Three7s
09-08-2014, 06:05 PM
"They primarily went with a cover 3 look or a cover 4 with a cheat safety look," Reid said. "Both are good run stopping coverages. They played gaps and started shooting the gaps. It wasn't anything that should have deterred us off the run game as much as it did."

It was poor game planning. The run blocking wasn't good but the Titans were clearly stacking to stop the run. The pass pro wasn't good but they gave more than enough opportunities to make plays. This is on the passing game. There's no defending Alex Smith for this game. It was just bad. I don't think he's as bad as he played. But yesterday he was not good. The o-line played better than I expected because I thought they'd be a disaster. Smith has played far better with much worse protection.
I think that explains the numerous amounts of screens early in the game, as well as the oddly high number of passes throughout. Should've drafted a WR, Mr Dorsey.

ping2000
09-08-2014, 06:51 PM
ROFL

There were practice squad scout team O-lines that graded out better than ours yesterday. BTW, who in the fuck was 32? And how is that possible when everyone hasn't played yet?

milkman
09-08-2014, 06:52 PM
Not buying it.

When has Alex Smith played better with worse protection?

That's a load of crap.

milkman
09-08-2014, 06:53 PM
I think that explains the numerous amounts of screens early in the game, as well as the oddly high number of passes throughout. Should've drafted a WR, Mr Dorsey.

Andy Reid has always been the screeniest ****er in the league.

He really is a terrible play caller.

chiefzilla1501
09-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Not buying it.

When has Alex Smith played better with worse protection?

That's a load of crap.

Alex Smith did not get great protection a lot of last year. Early in the season, the protection was pretty bad. He didn't play great, but he wasn't the disaster he was yesterday. The last time I remember Smith being this bad was against Indy (regular season) last year. He was off the mark even on a lot of the easy stuff.

The o-line wasn't that good yesterday. But they gave Smith plenty of time to make plays on a good chunk of those downs. I get that the receivers weren't good yesterday but he has to get rid of the ball faster.

philfree
09-08-2014, 07:54 PM
I don't put a lot of stock in pff but what were Hali, Houston and Baileys grades?

Sandy Vagina
09-08-2014, 08:04 PM
I don't put a lot of stock in pff but what were Hali, Houston and Baileys grades?

Houston had a 1.0 grade
Bailey had a .7 grade
Hali had a .3

philfree
09-08-2014, 08:12 PM
Houston had a 1.0 grade
Bailey had a .7 grade
Hali had a .3

Thank you. With out looking it up they all had a sack didn't they?

Sandy Vagina
09-08-2014, 08:14 PM
Thank you. With out looking it up they all had a sack didn't they?

Houston credited with 2 sacks.. Bailey with 1.. None for Hali.. another sack goes to Walker.

philfree
09-08-2014, 08:20 PM
Houston credited with 2 sacks.. Bailey with 1.. None for Hali.. another sack goes to Walker.

Yeah I couldn't resist so I looked it up. I really thought Hali had a sack though or at least he was in on one and should have been credited with a half sack. Oh well.

Sandy Vagina
09-08-2014, 08:23 PM
Yeah I couldn't resist so I looked it up. I really thought Hali had a sack though or at least he was in on one and should have been credited with a half sack. Oh well.

I thought you were right, so I checked ESPN too, just to be sure.. nope.

Three7s
09-08-2014, 08:32 PM
Pass rush is probably the one strength of this team. I got nothing else.

Sandy Vagina
09-08-2014, 08:35 PM
Pass rush is probably the one strength of this team. I got nothing else.

FB, dammit... do not forget the FB!

( that JC and Knile guy are pretty good, or so I hear )

splatbass
09-08-2014, 08:39 PM

LOL

what a mess

Who? I haven't seen or heard one person say that.

Three7s
09-08-2014, 08:56 PM
FB, dammit... do not forget the FB!

( that JC and Knile guy are pretty good, or so I hear )
Very true, but you saw what happens when the opposing team isn't scared of anything else. JC can't beat a competent team by himself.

Sandy Vagina
09-08-2014, 09:02 PM
Very true, but you saw what happens when the opposing team isn't scared of anything else. JC can't beat a competent team by himself.

neither can Alex.. The offense consisted of Alex, JC, and jack-shit nothing else.

it's no wonder that both of their production sucked.

jd1020
09-08-2014, 09:12 PM
neither can Alex.. The offense consisted of Alex, JC, and jack-shit nothing else.

it's no wonder that both of their production sucked.

Nice of you to not include Alex and JC in the "jack-shit nothing else" category. Makes sense given their respective play.

The Bad Guy
09-08-2014, 09:14 PM

It was not passable. Alex sucked. They sucked.

Alex wasn't passable and neither were they.

Silock
09-08-2014, 09:41 PM
-2 for a Smith is still failing. Any negative score is bad, especially for a $68 million QB.

chiefzilla1501
09-08-2014, 09:45 PM
It was not passable. Alex sucked. They sucked.

Alex wasn't passable and neither were they.

The o-line was supposed to be a dumpster fire. They were passable, which isn't good, but it's not dumpster fire.

The Titans stacked the box against the run. On pass offense, more often than not, Smith held onto the ball too long which can also be blamed on the receivers. I've seen a lot worse performances out of KC's line the past 5 years. I don't know why people act like this is the worst they've seen.

I don't think Smith was good at all yesterday.

chiefzilla1501
09-08-2014, 09:47 PM
-2 for a Smith is still failing. Any negative score is bad, especially for a $68 million QB.

It's why you have to take PFF with a loooooottttt of grains of salt. If Smith got a -2 but the o-line got that big a failing grade, that means they're blaming the o-line for coverage sacks. Because that definitely was not the story I saw yesterday.

Silock
09-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Can't it be both?

chiefzilla1501
09-08-2014, 09:53 PM
Can't it be both?

It can be both. In this case, you have to blame the QB who has to get rid of the ball quicker.

I'm no o-line apologist. They looked like ass against the Panthers and Packers. They looked bad against Tennessee, but they did enough for Smith to make plays. I thought this was one of Smith's worst games in terms of making quick reads.

splatbass
09-08-2014, 10:02 PM
It can be both. In this case, you have to blame the QB who has to get rid of the ball quicker.

To who? Our #1 WR wouldn't even be starting on most NFL teams. You have to take into account probably the worst WRs in the NFL when blaming him for holding the ball too long.

Smith played poorly, but the poor play of the offense was on the whole offense, not one person. And the loss is on the entire team, including the coaching staff. They all sucked.

chiefzilla1501
09-08-2014, 10:13 PM
To who? Our #1 WR wouldn't even be starting on most NFL teams. You have to take into account probably the worst WRs in the NFL when blaming him for holding the ball too long.

Smith played poorly, but the poor play of the offense was on the whole offense, not one person. And the loss is on the entire team, including the coaching staff. They all sucked.

I don't know that any of us can say that unless we actually saw what the receivers were doing downfield. I am only making the statement to say that it's harder to blame your o-line when they are being asked to block longer than they should be asked to. There were a few plays with immediate pressures and several where the pocket pushed in. But in plenty of instances Smith had a clean pocket to make 2 quick reads.

splatbass
09-08-2014, 10:20 PM
I don't know that any of us can say that unless we actually saw what the receivers were doing downfield.

Which is more likely, an experienced QB holds on to the ball too long for no reason, or a very young, inexperienced and crappy WR corp didn't get open?

Hammock Parties
09-08-2014, 10:21 PM
Which is more likely, an experienced QB holds on to the ball too long for no reason, or a very young, inexperienced and crappy WR corp didn't get open?

He's been doing it his whole career.

It's why his sacks are high and why he only throws to guys who are wide open 90 percent of the time.

Alex doesn't know what "NFL open" is.

chiefzilla1501
09-08-2014, 10:22 PM

Smith isn't exactly a guy who's known to throw his guys open. He has a tendency to wait for guys to open up to get them the ball. I'm not a Smith hater. I know what he is. I get that the receivers yesterday were probably lousy but it doesn't give Smith a free pass. He has to get rid of the ball faster. Period.

splatbass
09-08-2014, 10:24 PM
Smith isn't exactly a guy who's known to throw his guys open. He has a tendency to wait for guys to open up to get them the ball. I'm not a Smith hater. I know what he is. I get that the receivers yesterday were probably lousy but it doesn't give Smith a free pass. He has to get rid of the ball faster. Period.

I'm not giving him a free pass. I'm saying you can't put the entire blame on him like you are doing. This was a TEAM loss.

splatbass
09-08-2014, 10:25 PM

It's why his sacks are high and why he only throws to guys who are wide open 90 percent of the time.

When I want to hear from you I'll let you know, troll. The adults are talking here.

Silock
09-08-2014, 10:33 PM

Exactly. Which is why a certain number of interceptions is okay.

If you aren't throwing SOME interceptions, you're not trying hard enough. Except Alex on Sunday. That was just incompetence. I guess this applies more to QBs with arm strength and accuracy.

Silock
09-08-2014, 10:34 PM
I'm not giving him a free pass. I'm saying you can't put the entire blame on him like you are doing. This was a TEAM loss.

Well, that's certainly true. EVERYONE sucked.

chiefzilla1501
09-08-2014, 10:58 PM

I'm not putting the entire blame on him. Bad coaching and terrible play calling. Terrible QB play. And even though I can't see what the receivers are doing, I'm guessing they didn't play well either. But people are calling our o-line performance a dumpster fire and in many cases blaming them for Smith's performance. That's not really fair to a group that was crippled by a pass offense that shouldn't ask their o-line to hold protection for that long.

splatbass
09-08-2014, 11:02 PM
I'm not putting the entire blame on him. Bad coaching and terrible play calling. Terrible QB play. And even though I can't see what the receivers are doing, I'm guessing they didn't play well either. But people are calling our o-line performance a dumpster fire and in many cases blaming them for Smith's performance. That's not really fair to a group that was crippled by a pass offense that shouldn't ask their o-line to hold protection for that long.

I disagree. If you think the line held long enough on most of those pass plays you must have watched a different game.

mdchiefsfan
09-09-2014, 03:04 AM
Who would've thought: you replace decent players with shitty ones and get this result?

OldSchool
09-09-2014, 03:50 AM
Who would've thought: you replace decent players with shitty ones and get this result?

Well, that and they called plays away from the guys who could actually make a difference (Charles, TEs).

BigBeauford
09-09-2014, 06:41 AM
Sorry if Q, but 610 just said Branden Albert was the highest graded offensive lineman this weekend on PFF.

milkman
09-09-2014, 06:44 AM
Sorry if Q, but 610 just said Branden Albert was the highest graded offensive lineman this weekend on PFF.

Sacoshit will be along shortly to dismiss that and explain why that is unpossible.

InChiefsHeaven
09-09-2014, 06:59 AM

This is the kind of shit that drives me nuts. No way do you let this guy go. He's a well developed draft pick...building through the draft means keeping the guys you developed, even if you weren't the staff who drafted them.

The worst part is, if Dorsey DOES end up having good players he drafted, he'll get fired before they are totally ready, then the next regime will get rid of them, rinse and repeat.

Ugh.

Chiefnj2
09-10-2014, 06:52 AM
I watched most of the game in condensed version last night.

1. I thought the D was pretty good in the first half of the game.
2. Andy's playcalling in the first half was bizzare.
3. Run blocking was atrocious on all levels.
4. I thought Fisher was okay in pass blocking.
5. Alex's long ball makes me yearn for Cassel.
6. Alex's intermediate routes were good except for one drive where the ball seemed to sail on him on consecutive throws.
7. Owens isn't very good.
8. Some key drops by the backup receivers.
9. Silly mistakes - offsides on a punt, fielding the ball inside the 10, trying to go for the big play pinned down deep with less than a minute before the half.
10. Second half pass D dropped off dramatically. Lots of cushion and wide open receivers. I don't know if it was scheme, or the guys were just gassed and not conditioned.