PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs The most perfect summation of where my feelings are on today's NFL.

Direckshun
09-12-2014, 04:01 AM
http://www.avclub.com/article/loving-game-hating-league-209136

Loving the game, hating the league
By John Teti @johnteti
Sep 12, 2014 12:00 AM

Modern football is inherently hypocritical. It’s a game in which we ask large, freakishly strong men to collide at high speeds, but we make them wear helmets while they do it—for safety, you see. The sport is and always has been pervaded by the conflict between its thrilling athletic splendor and its damaging ugliness. Indeed, that mix of grace and repugnance is part of what makes football such an irresistible spectacle. Because of that, conscientious NFL fans must face the specter of pro football’s dark, destructive side. We ask ourselves, is the game worth it?

The people who run the league are supposed to make it easier for fans to answer “yes” to that question. Their job is to mitigate football’s inherent awfulness so that the enterprise is a good thing on the whole. Without the order instilled by the league, football would be a toxic chaos of violence with no set boundaries. Pro football games might break out in the middle of the street. Players would load themselves up with dangerous and exotic drugs, like marijuana. Coaches would wear non-approved sideline apparel. It would be madness, and the country wouldn’t stand for it.

So when Roger Goodell took over as league commissioner in 2006, he cast himself as an avatar of order. Reacting to a spate of off-the-field player scandals that preceded his ascension to the crown, Goodell made it clear that he would be ruthless in punishing players for “conduct” issues. After Pac-Man Jones had yet another run-in with the police at a nightclub, for instance, Goodell suspended Jones for the entire 2007 season. ESPN.com’s report on the suspension featured not just one but two gray-haired white guys waxing idolatrous on Goodell’s “strong signal” and “terrific statement.” You’d think Leopold from The Simpsons had just walked through that door, and the senescent braintrust of NFL punditry did a collective discipline swoon.

It was evident from the beginning, but it’s become even clearer over time that Sheriff Goodell is motivated not by a sense of social order but rather by a self-satisfied paternalism—one that exacerbates football’s worst qualities rather than holding them in check. Sure, if you need someone to throw the book at a black kid who likes to smoke a little weed, Goodell’s your man every time. But when we need someone to properly educate players about the risks of playing football, Goodell encourages us not to worry our pretty little repeatedly concussed heads about it. He would also rather not talk about pitiful cheerleader pay because he is too busy hawking pink jerseys that demonstrate the NFL’s commitment to women.

And now we face the infuriating Ray Rice debacle, in which a player trained, groomed, and exalted by the league used his football-burnished strength to knock his fiancée unconscious. Goodell’s handling of the situation has been a perfect bungling, from the inexplicably light punishment he issued at first to the “investigatory” interview he conducted with Rice’s wife while Rice himself was in the room. The most pitiful moment came this week when the TMZ video emerged and Goodell hurriedly tried to slip back into his Defender Of Justice superhero outfit, struggling to pull the tights over his wingtips as he shouted, “Suspend Ray Rice indefinitely—maybe forever!”

Goodell has attempted to clarify his story this week—he never saw the tape, nobody in the NFL saw the tape, it would have been illegal to see the tape, okay it wouldn’t have been illegal but we still didn’t see it, in fact we never asked for it, not directly at least. I haven’t seen anybody outside of ESPN and official NFL media outlets giving the commish’s ever-evolving narrative much credence. It’s safe to assume a Nixonian level of mendacity from Goodell at this point—appropriately enough, now that he’s in a Nixon-esque fight to preserve his job. And that’s a shame because more than any of America’s other big sports, the popular, violent NFL needs a bulwark of calm sense against its ocean of raging testosterone. Instead, the commissioner is content to go for a swim.

Look, I love football. I love the action, the teamwork, the reward of perseverance. I love the intricacies of the strategy. I love that the league is populated mostly by well-meaning, admirable, and often amusing characters. I love that you can examine the game on so many different scopes—a single play, a drive, a game, a season—and find intellectually stimulating stories to tell. I love football’s rhythm, the build-up of anticipation before each play and the exhilarating “snap” (I love that it’s called a snap) that sends everyone on the field into a frenzy.

In its present incarnation, though, I hate the league, because the NFL has me asking that fundamental question more often: Is football worth it? I’m willing to accept a bit of awfulness and hypocrisy for the sake of a wonderful pastime. I recognize that my passion for the sport is probably more vice than virtue, and I’m okay with that, for now at least. But I make the mental calculation of football good vs. evil more often these days, and the numbers are uncomfortably close; evil might be able to pull off a win in the electoral college. It’s obviously time for Goodell to go, but beyond that, it’s time for the NFL to grow up and recognize that the league’s function isn’t just to grow the game; it’s to protect the game from itself.

Dunerdr
09-12-2014, 04:37 AM
Who cares about this he's ruining defense. Or defence as it's often called.

Direckshun
09-12-2014, 04:43 AM
Who cares about this he's ruining defense. Or defence as it's offer called.

Yet another quality post from Dunerdr.

Jimmya
09-12-2014, 04:47 AM
I love the NFL and it & college football will keep kicking every other sports ass!

Coochie liquor
09-12-2014, 05:19 AM
It would be more entertaining if it was hot women.... In lingerie..... Playing football... Oh yeah. Forgot about the Lingerie Football League!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Ymcs2dALlCc

Dunerdr
09-12-2014, 05:56 AM
It would be more entertaining if it was hot women.... In lingerie..... Playing football... Oh yeah. Forgot about the Lingerie Football League!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=Ymcs2dALlCc

Boom! Titties beer and football! And defense! This is what football used to be. Thanks a lot Barrack Goodell.

kcxiv
09-12-2014, 07:16 AM
I love the NFL and it & college football will keep kicking every other sports ass!

Not for me, not anymore. Im losing the passion fast! I never thought i would say that.

MahiMike
09-12-2014, 07:19 AM
Sitting at the chaotic sports bar Sunday I mentioned that it's a statement about our society that our most popular sport in America is also our most violent.

Rausch
09-12-2014, 07:21 AM
Sitting at the chaotic sports bar Sunday I mentioned that it's a statement about our society that our most popular sport in America is also our most violent.

MMA isn't the most popular sport in America...

-King-
09-12-2014, 07:27 AM

Wut?
Posted via Mobile Device

GoChargers
09-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Hockey fans are used to the mindset of loving the game and hating the league.... welcome to our world, NFL fans!

Fishpicker
09-12-2014, 08:19 AM

I'm pretty sure that NASCAR is the most popular sport in America

KCTitus
09-12-2014, 08:20 AM
You call that a 'summation'....pfft.

tl;dr

Prison Bitch
09-12-2014, 08:26 AM
Nothin like a little left wing politics in the morning. I really want to read a guy essentially calling Goodell a racist.

As for fan interest: sure is high in Denver and SF and Seattle and New Orleans and NE and....well you get the point. I can't quite put my finger on why it's not interesting here in KC

Dayze
09-12-2014, 08:33 AM
The NFL would have me back in full force in a heartbeat if they would allow hitting again. I'm a big fan of defense. Hitting. Imposing your will on an opponent. Hitting a receiver so hard coming over the middle in the 1st qtr that when the next route is called for him over the middle in the 3rd qtr he's already overthinking the catch when he breaks the huddle. Hell, any more these days, the middle of the field is where you should throw it because no one can touch the receivers – slant routes and rubs-a-plenty since you can’t touch them off the line of scrimmage either. So, just line up, and let everyone run slants. Don’t hit them; let them catch it first, then you can hit them (but only after your double-secret-probation sure that Mr. WR is ok, and is ‘ready’ to be tackled)

Intimidation is dead. Defense is dead. You can't hit. You can't say mean things. The QBs are 'special' players (don't even get me started on the QB slide bullshit). Don't want to get hit? GTFO out of bounds or get down. I mean, QBs are still supposed to be football players, right? Has anyone seen a ‘Roughing the Passer’ call in which the defender’s hand glances over the QBs helmet? I mean, c’mon. Can’t hit ‘em low. Can’t hit ‘em high. Can’t touch their head. Must pull a video game move and move your body immediately out of the way while running full speed within about .5 seconds of him throwing the ball.

Penalties – I have no idea what is, and what is not, a penalty when I watch it on TV. I’ve seen lame holding calls on the OL in non-Chiefs games where I couldn’t ‘see’ the hold – I had to wait to be told by the ref. and even in the replay it was hard to see. Yet, Tamba Hali and other NFL pass rushers are routinely put into a choke holds when they come around the edge with no call – when it’s glaringly obvious. Gotta let the NFL golden children stand back there protected so they can throw more touchdown passes. So, if you showed me 10 plays of OL play and asked me which plays had a hold ing call and which didn’t……I’d have no idea. Same with defensive PI.

Shutdown corners are as rare as a Chiefs playoff win.

Overall, it just sucks. It's so boring. Stunningly boring. The broadcast of a national game is like watching reality TV. Fucking cameramen on the field/in the mix of TD celebrations etc; on the field panning around a QB or player as they’re warming up. Following them all the way from the locker room to the field. Focusing on a Ray Lewis type player who enters the stadium like a WWF wrestler. The “2 Minute Warning”…..warning for what? JFC. The frequency of commercials – yes, I know commercials are necessary, but it’s the rate and timing in which they are had. The NFL loves scoring because it means a commercial after the XP, then a commercial after the kickoff.
Tackling is hot garbage (thanks to the new CBA and new rules); the 'shoulder bump' is the most infuriating thing in sport (aside from the Chiefs).

Other than all that, it’s pretty awesome.

Prison Bitch
09-12-2014, 08:40 AM
Yeah Dayze, a league of Matt Cassells playing QB after all the stars have been cleaned out by roided out LB hitting them late and in te knee and head.....that would be so sweet.

Be glad the league has cracked down on the ridiculous shots to the head DB used to make. The sport as you knew it would never survive in our litigious society (and even this incarnation may not)

Beef Supreme
09-12-2014, 08:41 AM
The NFL would have me back in full force in a heartbeat if they would allow hitting again. I'm a big fan of defense. Hitting. Imposing your will on an opponent. Hitting a receiver so hard coming over the middle in the 1st qtr that when the next route is called for him over the middle in the 3rd qtr he's already overthinking the catch when he breaks the huddle. Hell, any more these days, the middle of the field is where you should throw it because no one can touch the receivers – slant routes and rubs-a-plenty since you can’t touch them off the line of scrimmage either. So, just line up, and let everyone run slants. Don’t hit them; let them catch it first, then you can hit them (but only after your double-secret-probation sure that Mr. WR is ok, and is ‘ready’ to be tackled)

Intimidation is dead. Defense is dead. You can't hit. You can't say mean things. The QBs are 'special' players (don't even get me started on the QB slide bullshit). Don't want to get hit? GTFO out of bounds or get down. I mean, QBs are still supposed to be football players, right? Has anyone seen a ‘Roughing the Passer’ call in which the defender’s hand glances over the QBs helmet? I mean, c’mon. Can’t hit ‘em low. Can’t hit ‘em high. Can’t touch their head. Must pull a video game move and move your body immediately out of the way while running full speed within about .5 seconds of him throwing the ball.

Penalties – I have no idea what is, and what is not, a penalty when I watch it on TV. I’ve seen lame holding calls on the OL in non-Chiefs games where I couldn’t ‘see’ the hold – I had to wait to be told by the ref. and even in the replay it was hard to see. Yet, Tamba Hali and other NFL pass rushers are routinely put into a choke holds when they come around the edge with no call – when it’s glaringly obvious. Gotta let the NFL golden children stand back there protected so they can throw more touchdown passes. So, if you showed me 10 plays of OL play and asked me which plays had a hold ing call and which didn’t……I’d have no idea. Same with defensive PI.

Overall, it just sucks. It's so boring. Stunningly boring. The broadcast of a national game is like watching reality TV. ****ing cameramen on the field/in the mix of TD celebrations etc; on the field panning around a QB or player as they’re warming up. Following them all the way from the locker room to the field. Focusing on a Ray Lewis type player who enters the stadium like a WWF wrestler. The “2 Minute Warning”…..warning for what? JFC. The frequency of commercials – yes, I know commercials are necessary, but it’s the rate and timing in which they are had. The NFL loves scoring because it means a commercial after the XP, then a commercial after the kickoff.
Tackling is hot garbage (thanks to the new CBA and new rules); the 'shoulder bump' is the most infuriating thing in sport (aside from the Chiefs).

All of this.

Molitoth
09-12-2014, 08:44 AM

Overall, it just sucks. It's so boring. Stunningly boring. The broadcast of a national game is like watching reality TV. ****ing cameramen on the field/in the mix of TD celebrations etc; on the field panning around a QB or player as they’re warming up. Following them all the way from the locker room to the field. Focusing on a Ray Lewis type player who enters the stadium like a WWF wrestler. The “2 Minute Warning”…..warning for what? JFC. The frequency of commercials – yes, I know commercials are necessary, but it’s the rate and timing in which they are had. The NFL loves scoring because it means a commercial after the XP, then a commercial after the kickoff.

Nice post! And nice OP article

Dayze
09-12-2014, 08:47 AM
Yeah Dayze, a league of Matt Cassells playing QB after all the stars have been cleaned out by roided out LB hitting them late and in te knee and head.....that would be so sweet.

Be glad the league has cracked down on the ridiculous shots to the head DB used to make. The sport as you knew it would never survive in our litigious society (and even this incarnation may not)

yeah, because I'm advocating late and cheap hits on the QB.

LoneWolf
09-12-2014, 08:55 AM
Nothing like an article with an agenda to start the day off right. I don't watch the NFL and ask myself, "is the game worth it?". The Ray Rice situation and how it has been handled has no bearing on how I feel about the game of football because it isn't a football related matter. I like how he used the "black kid who likes to smoke a little weed" line to really push the race agenda.

MagicHef
09-12-2014, 08:55 AM
The NFL would have me back in full force in a heartbeat if they would allow hitting again. I'm a big fan of defense. Hitting. Imposing your will on an opponent. Hitting a receiver so hard coming over the middle in the 1st qtr that when the next route is called for him over the middle in the 3rd qtr he's already overthinking the catch when he breaks the huddle. Hell, any more these days, the middle of the field is where you should throw it because no one can touch the receivers – slant routes and rubs-a-plenty since you can’t touch them off the line of scrimmage either.

Uh, yes you can. Contact is allowed within 5 yards, just like it has been since 1978, when the rule was implemented.

So, just line up, and let everyone run slants. Don’t hit them; let them catch it first, then you can hit them (but only after your double-secret-probation sure that Mr. WR is ok, and is ‘ready’ to be tackled)

You can hit a receiver at any time, just not in the head. I seriously thought this stuff was common knowledge.

loochy
09-12-2014, 08:58 AM
MMA isn't the most popular sport in America...

This.

I don't know what he's talking about.

Dayze
09-12-2014, 09:01 AM
you're taking my post too literal (my apologies for being a bit sarcastic in my post etc)). I understand and I'm aware of the rules.

watch any huge hit in the NFL. Right after the hit, 99% of America is yelling or saying something to the effect of "oh, that's a flag". even when it shouldn't be. Because they know the refs are itching to throw them.
There are so many 'fouls' that are called because they 'look' bad, when they're legit hits. And, before anyone asks....'no'....I don't have specific numbers etc so don't waste your time lol.

notorious
09-12-2014, 09:59 AM
Players get season-ending injuries just as much now as they did in the past, if not more.

Hard hits causing more injury argument is garbage.

Simply Red
09-12-2014, 10:03 AM
Our pasta this evening...

is squid ravioli in a lemon grass broth...

with goat cheese profiteroles, and I also have an arugula Caesar salad.

For entrees this evening, I have swordfish meatloaf with onion marmalade,

rare roasted partridge breast in raspberry coulis with a sorrel timbale.

...and grilled free-range rabbit with herbed french fries.

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2014, 10:07 AM
You cant have the hitting the way it used to be. Guys are just too big and too fast and people would get destroyed. If you put the average LB from the 80's and 90's up against the average LB from today the former would look like an accountant.

Bitch and moan about how the rules are only set in place for fantasy and commercialism (to a point I agree) however if many of these rules werent in place theyd be carting guys off in ambulances left and right

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2014, 10:08 AM

This place is a chicks restaurant

Dayze
09-12-2014, 10:10 AM

how are the chicken tenders?

L.A. Chieffan
09-12-2014, 10:12 AM
Personally I think they need to crack down on PEDs MUCH harder in the NFL. Im not talking about maryjane, im talking about roids and all that other shit that you find in Mr Universe contests.

Dave Lane
09-12-2014, 10:43 AM
http://www.jessicalemmon.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/dog_ball_bored.gif

I'll just borrow this from jd