PDA

View Full Version : Money Any Coin Collectors on CP?

alpha_omega
09-15-2014, 03:46 PM
Ok...here's the deal....

We have an old coin collection that we inherited. We aren't really that into coins or stamps or whatever so we thought we would find out what the coins are worth.

I know there are a few shops here in KC that will do an appraisal for us, but before i selected one, i thought i would check with the CP braintrust and see if anyone has a shop/dealer/buyer that they might recommend?

It is worth noting that i haven't really looked through exactly what there is in detail, but there is a ton of coinage...some of which looks pretty old.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated.

Dayze
09-15-2014, 03:47 PM
best I can go is $250

Scorp
09-15-2014, 03:47 PM
$300......best and final.

alpha_omega
09-15-2014, 03:48 PM
best I can go is $250

$300......best and final.

I had a feeling that was the kind of help i was gonna get. You guys did not disappoint.

Dayze
09-15-2014, 03:52 PM
they're the obligatory First 10 Sarcastic comments of a help thread. :D

Ming the Merciless
09-15-2014, 03:54 PM
ebay is pretty good for getting general prices of common items

Halfcan
09-15-2014, 04:02 PM
Try 23rd street pawn in Independence. 816-716-7291- The owner is a great guy, very fair and is a lifetime coin collector. You will make more selling the whole collection to them then trying to piecemeal it out on ebay-they charge a fortune in fees.

Anything after 1964 is not silver and only worth face value. Unless it is a proof set-then you get a slight premium.

Foreign coins and your average coins not in top condition will probably only net you gold or sliver prices. If you have graded coins- you can check the values of those online at several sites- and might think about pulling them out and selling per coin. Good luck!

BlackHelicopters
09-15-2014, 04:06 PM
Let me call a buddy of mine who knows about these things, and we will go from there.

alpha_omega
09-15-2014, 04:08 PM
Try 23rd street pawn in Independence. 816-716-7291- The owner is a great guy, very fair and is a lifetime coin collector. You will make more selling the whole collection to them then trying to piecemeal it out on ebay-they charge a fortune in fees.

Anything after 1964 is not silver and only worth face value. Unless it is a proof set-then you get a slight premium.

Foreign coins and your average coins not in top condition will probably only net you gold or sliver prices. If you have graded coins- you can check the values of those online at several sites- and might think about pulling them out and selling per coin. Good luck!

Thanks Half...that's the kind of info i was looking for.

cosmo20002
09-15-2014, 04:08 PM
I'm down with the numismatics.

I wouldn't get an "appraisal" from anyone who might buy from you.
And no pawn shops.

In general, what do you have--years and denomination?

Condition is a huge part of the value, unless you have something that is rare.

Scorp
09-15-2014, 04:10 PM
Yeah getting an appraisal from a pawn guy seems smart!

Ming the Merciless
09-15-2014, 04:10 PM
And no pawn shops.

this

I would be shocked if that guy offered more than EBAY would pay you, even if you account for the fees...

but hey maybe KC pawn shops are better than the kind we have around these parts

cosmo20002
09-15-2014, 04:11 PM
If you want to invest $10-$15 there's a reference book called The Red Book.

You can look up pretty much any US coin and it gives you an idea of value.
However, those prices are what a dealer would charge, so they obviously are going to pay you less--but you can kind of get a ballpark.

Hog's Gone Fishin
I had a feeling that was the kind of help i was gonna get. You guys did not disappoint.

$300 and four bags of Boar #555. One of my best.

alpha_omega
I'm down with the numismatics.

And no pawn shops.

In general, what do you have--years and denomination?

Condition is a huge part of the value, unless you have something that is rare.

Guess i don't know much, 'cause i don't even know what "numismatic" meant (i had to look it up).

Like i said...i haven't really looked in detail yet, but i will do that ASAP and then post more info.

Ming the Merciless

LOL

"sorry these aint worth what you think they are, ill give you 50$ for the lot of them so you dont have to do all that "work" and pay all those "fees"

Scorp
09-15-2014, 04:12 PM
$300 and four bags of Boar #555. One of my best.

Fuck you! I'm out! :mad:

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-15-2014, 04:13 PM
I have a coin in my collection from the 1700's . don't remember what it is, but I got it.

Rain Man
09-15-2014, 04:28 PM
I visited my parents this summer, and my dad dragged out his coin collection. Back in the 70s he got on a tear of collecting "collectible commemorative coins" from the Mint. They were negotiable currency, but I'd never seen most of them before. He had some odd stuff.

We started looking them all up, and they were all worth essentially what he paid for them or less. I felt bad for him. Apparently collectible commemorative coins are far more commemorative than collectible. They were pretty cool to look at, though.

cosmo20002
09-15-2014, 04:35 PM
I visited my parents this summer, and my dad dragged out his coin collection. Back in the 70s he got on a tear of collecting "collectible commemorative coins" from the Mint. They were negotiable currency, but I'd never seen most of them before. He had some odd stuff.

We started looking them all up, and they were all worth essentially what he paid for them or less. I felt bad for him. Apparently collectible commemorative coins are far more commemorative than collectible. They were pretty cool to look at, though.

If they are the actual US Mint, they're probably worth about or less than what he paid. If they are silver, they would track whatever silver is worth. Even 1970s proof sets are only worth a few dollars, which is about what they cost new 40 years ago.

If they are from the Franklin Mint or similar, they're worth about nuthin.

Rain Man
09-15-2014, 04:38 PM
If they are the actual US Mint, they're probably worth about or less than what he paid. If they are silver, they would track whatever silver is worth. Even 1970s proof sets are only worth a few dollars, which is about what they cost new 40 years ago.

If they are from the Franklin Mint or similar, they're worth about nuthin.

These were U.S. Mint, so I was hopeful that they'd have some appreciation. They were really kind of cool. But yeah, nuthin'.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-15-2014, 05:42 PM
I used to be a member of the Littleton coin collectors club. They would send you an assortment of elderly coins every month and you could look thru them , keep the ones you wanted and send the rest back. It was pretty neat way to get started . That was 30 years ago. I need to drag them out and see if my buffalo nickels are worth 6 cents by now.

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-15-2014, 05:44 PM
Oh yeah, I do have an uncirculated set of those steel pennies from I think 1943 when all the copper was being used for bullets in WWII

cosmo20002
09-15-2014, 05:50 PM
I used to be a member of the Littleton coin collectors club. They would send you an assortment of elderly coins every month and you could look thru them , keep the ones you wanted and send the rest back. It was pretty neat way to get started . That was 30 years ago. I need to drag them out and see if my buffalo nickels are worth 6 cents by now.

They have insanely high prices. Common date and condition buffalo nickels are probably $.50.

cosmo20002
09-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Oh yeah, I do have an uncirculated set of those steel pennies from I think 1943 when all the copper was being used for bullets in WWII

$1-$5 in "circulated" condition.

Some 1943 pennies were accidentally minted on copper. If you have one of those, you can name your price.

Zebedee DuBois
09-15-2014, 05:59 PM
I have a bunch of pre-1964 dimes and quarters. The last time I looked they were worth about $600.

I called one of the local gold and silver shops, and they said they paid 75% of the silver value.

Is that about normal? The shop gets 25% for their fee?

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-15-2014, 06:00 PM
They have insanely high prices. Common date and condition buffalo nickels are probably $.50.

Yeah, I knew they were charging me premium. But I was looking at the long haul. The prices I paid 30 years ago I can now recoup. Almost.

cosmo20002
09-15-2014, 06:03 PM
These were U.S. Mint, so I was hopeful that they'd have some appreciation. They were really kind of cool. But yeah, nuthin'.

Yeah, the Mint makes a mint from those things.

They churn out tons of commemoratives today. Some of the "cool" ones sell at a premium at first and then the value settles to whatever the silver price of the day is.

A recent "cool" one was for the baseball Hall of Fame. The heads side had seams like a baseball and the coin was actually curved to kind of give the appearance of ball. At first, they were "worth" several times more than the Mint price.

cosmo20002
09-15-2014, 06:09 PM
I have a bunch of pre-1964 dimes and quarters. The last time I looked they were worth about $600.

I called one of the local gold and silver shops, and they said they paid 75% of the silver value.

http://www.coinflation.com/silver_coin_values.html

25% probably isn't outrageous, but you can probably do better.

Silver is in the toilet right now. A couple years ago, silver was almost $50/oz. Now its under $20.

Pooch
09-15-2014, 06:09 PM
Best place to sell coins is eBay believe is our not. I am a huge buyer and seller. You can look up any coin to see it's current value. Use your best judgment on grade.

stonedstooge
09-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Used to be a coin collector and did a few appraisals. Last divorce put me out of the bidness

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-15-2014, 06:19 PM
Used to be a coin collector and did a few appraisals. Last divorce put me out of the bidness

So you use to tell people that their pennies are worth 1 cent and their nickels are worth 5 cent. Did you get paid for that ?

stonedstooge
09-15-2014, 06:21 PM
So you use to tell people that their pennies are worth 1 cent and their nickels are worth 5 cent. Did you get paid for that ?

LMAO Yeah I got paid. Was for the estates of collectors that I knew

Misplaced_Chiefs_Fan
09-15-2014, 06:27 PM
Unfortunately, I'm in Maryland, so that's not really going to help you.

I've been building a type set (one of every coin and every variation). Unfortunately, I'm down to the coins that are going to really cost me to get in a good collectable condition.

I'm also collecting the odd coins (2 cent pieces, 3 cent pieces (silver and nickle), the twenty cent piece) as well as Morgan dollars.

I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir, but take the time to find someone who knows what they're talking about before approaching anyone about selling. They don't have to be an expert, but if you go in with an "idea" of what the coins' conditions and relative value are, then you've got a better chance of getting close to what you want (or realize if someone's seriously trying to rip you off).

If you get a list together of the coins, dates, and mint marks, I could look stuff up for you and give you the "range" you might get. Obviously, I can't grade them from here. *sigh*

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-15-2014, 06:37 PM
Unfortunately, I'm in Maryland, so that's not really going to help you.

I've been building a type set (one of every coin and every variation). Unfortunately, I'm down to the coins that are going to really cost me to get in a good collectable condition.

I'm also collecting the odd coins (2 cent pieces, 3 cent pieces (silver and nickle), the twenty cent piece) as well as Morgan dollars.

I realize I'm probably preaching to the choir, but take the time to find someone who knows what they're talking about before approaching anyone about selling. They don't have to be an expert, but if you go in with an "idea" of what the coins' conditions and relative value are, then you've got a better chance of getting close to what you want (or realize if someone's seriously trying to rip you off).

If you get a list together of the coins, dates, and mint marks, I could look stuff up for you and give you the "range" you might get. Obviously, I can't grade them from here. *sigh*

Can you tell me what my 3 year old rubber boots that are "ONLY WORN FOR COLLECTING" could be worth.

They're white by the way and thanks in advance.

Edit: And they are steel toed.

Pooch
09-15-2014, 06:41 PM

Ebay will pay more than spot. Trust me!!

bdj23
09-15-2014, 06:58 PM
$350 and not a cent more.

I have employees and overhead and shit like that.

Halfcan
09-25-2014, 10:23 AM

I gave the recommendation because he is a personal collector-not so much pawn value- which would be for the silver and gold in the coins.

The local libraries have lots of coin mags and books to get a close value on rare stuff that he should probably pull out of the collection as I suggested. But for average coins only worth weight values-he can get his money in cash for a slight premium instead of hoping they will sell on Ebay, paying a premium and waiting for the sale to close to finally get paid. Plus Cash won't have a record of the sale and won't be reported to the IRS like Ebay.

Any proof sets and novelty stuff-That is what you put on Ebay- you have a much better chance at finding a buyer as most coin shops won't buy the stuff.

Best of luck with your collection!! Hopefully you have a couple of 1909 VDB Lincoln pennies in there. Maybe 2 or 3 - 1799/98 Draped Bust Cents MS80 or better condition.

Demonpenz
09-25-2014, 12:37 PM
wish I was rich enough to collect money.

cosmo20002
09-25-2014, 01:23 PM
I gave the recommendation because he is a personal collector-not so much pawn value- which would be for the silver and gold in the coins.

The local libraries have lots of coin mags and books to get a close value on rare stuff that he should probably pull out of the collection as I suggested. But for average coins only worth weight values-he can get his money in cash for a slight premium instead of hoping they will sell on Ebay, paying a premium and waiting for the sale to close to finally get paid. Plus Cash won't have a record of the sale and won't be reported to the IRS like Ebay.

Any proof sets and novelty stuff-That is what you put on Ebay- you have a much better chance at finding a buyer as most coin shops won't buy the stuff.

Best of luck with your collection!! Hopefully you have a couple of 1909 VDB Lincoln pennies in there. Maybe 2 or 3 - 1799/98 Draped Bust Cents MS80 or better condition.

An MS80 must really be something.

ptlyon
09-25-2014, 01:51 PM
wish I was rich enough to collect money.

Imagine if you were rich enough to collect women!

ptlyon
09-25-2014, 01:54 PM
I collect drummer boy quarters.

I also have an empty coors light party ball that I collect my pocket change once a week. That baby is almost full. Interested to see how much is in it.

ndws
09-25-2014, 03:08 PM

Its like the Spinal Tap amplifier going to 11

Halfcan
09-25-2014, 03:26 PM

Typo ms60.

Nice catch. :)

alpha_omega
09-25-2014, 03:31 PM
Thanks for the reminder....coins are still in the closet waiting for me to inventory them. Maybe i'll start a spreadsheet while i watch tonights game.