PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Let's have a conversation about the job John Dorsey has done thus far.

BossChief
09-16-2014, 09:09 AM
In his first year, he drafted a bunch of guys that got hurt and showed nothing as rookies, but luckily he didn't need them because a bunch of guys stepped up. 3 of those players have been quite good in year 2...so far anyway.

Fisher
Davis
Kelce

All 3 have the ability to be good starters and that's an above average draft class if we are being objective.

Commings
Kush
Johnson
Catapano

These guys are all wild cards that can really tip the strength of the overall draft class. I think Kush has the ability to be a solid starter, myself. Who knows about Catapano.

Giving up so much for Alex Smith, but I'll reserve judgement until I see how he performs this year. If he plays well, I think the compensation was decent and also strengthens the overall draft class.

As it sits right now, I have a hard time grading the 2013 draft class lower than a solid B...with a chance to be a B+ or A- as the year goes on and more info is available.

Everybody was thrilled with free agency last year, but the contracts given to these guys were just silly. Especially to Colquitt, Daniel and Fasano. Those contracts are gonna prohibit us from locking up Berry or Houston long term. Watch. We all knew KC would need to overpay to bring free agents in to a bad team in an undesirable market...that's what happened.

The deal for Devito was ok (can't count the Achilles against the signing) but overall free agency can't get graded higher than a D+\C-. Maybe lower.

I don't think it would be fair to judge the 2014 draft class in any way with us only 2 games in, so I won't even touch on it.

Moving on to the 2014 free agent class...

Letting 3 starting quality offensive linemen walk is a tough pill to swallow...especially when the OL looks (early on at least) to be a real weakness on the team. Simply unacceptable. It sucks that we didn't target guys like TJ Ward or got things finalized with Sanders cause those would have helped us BIG TIME. And for similar money we gave to guys like Daniel and Fasano. Very frustrating. Replacing Tyson Jackson with Walker seems like an upgrade and signing Vickerson was solid as well. No way should they have paid Dexter what he got in Tennessee, so that one worked out as well. Letting Demps and Lewis walk were also solid decisions. I think I'd be hard pressed to grade this free agency period higher than a C- and if it weren't for signing Vickerson, it would be a D...at best.

IMO we missed a huge opportunity to upgrade the team here. Hopefully the reasons they have for why they did this are making sure to retain Houston and Berry long termZ if we don't, I want his head on a pike for losing either guy.

Discuss

Simply Red
09-16-2014, 09:10 AM
He seems like he's likable. But not real good at what he does. i mean - I don't hate him or anything.

Fairplay
09-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Ryan Succop was released we have a midget kicker now don't forget about him.

BossChief
09-16-2014, 09:16 AM
Can't pay kickers that much. Hopefully the midget kicker gets his shot together.

Prison Bitch
09-16-2014, 09:18 AM
After Dorsey goes 5-11 this year, the Asst GM down in Atlanta will be like: "Hey I went to the playoffs once in KC too, and I lost that game too, and I won about as many games my first two years too."

And he'd be right.

TribalElder
09-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Did Phil Simms post this?

Just Passin' By
09-16-2014, 09:22 AM
He's been horseshit.

Jimmya
09-16-2014, 09:25 AM
I'd rate him a 6 so far.

New World Order
09-16-2014, 09:27 AM
A SHIT GM.

Fisher has not been good this year.

KCUnited
09-16-2014, 09:35 AM
He's doing us like Bufkin's rather larger co-worker.

jd1020
09-16-2014, 09:41 AM
Of the 3 you name as potential "good starters" there's only one that I think actually has a chance and that's Kelce.

Fisher is... :facepalm:

And Davis is a decent backup. He's not shifty. He often gets taken down at the los, but every now and then when he gets a BIG hole he can spring a run for 10+ yards. He's like Jackie Battle, just a change of pace back.

kcchiefsus
09-16-2014, 09:47 AM
The problem is we're in limbo. We aren't rebuilding with a young quarterback (like Oakland or Jacksonville where it's acceptable to suck) and we aren't anywhere close to being a solid team. So why did we sign Alex Smith to such a huge contract extension? He's a solid QB who can win with a good team around him, which we don't have. The only way signing him to that extension is acceptable is if we still aggressively pursue a long term solution at QB. I'm not counting out Murray/Bray yet (although I wouldn't hold my breath) but drafting QB's in the later rounds or undrafted free agency is NOT aggressively pursuing a QB.

If we have a top 10 pick next year (which seems likely) we really better not fucking pass on a QB if one is available because of Alex Smith on the team. That would be just like the Chiefs of course.

MikeMaslowski
09-16-2014, 09:57 AM
He seems like he's likable. But not real good at what he does. i mean - I don't hate him or anything.

Obama anyone? Guess that is better left for DC.

There is something in the water in KC that causes GM's to act like, well, um, a KC GM.

jd1020
09-16-2014, 09:59 AM
Obama anyone? Guess that is better left for DC.

There is something in the water in KC that causes GM's to act like, well, um, a KC GM.

Drinking from a poisoned well in the Hunt family back yard.

TEX
09-16-2014, 10:06 AM
After Dorsey goes 5-11 this year, the Asst GM down in Atlanta will be like: "Hey I went to the playoffs once in KC too, and I lost that game too, and I won about as many games my first two years too."

And he'd be right.

And he can also say that I was a complete dick and everyone hated me. and that he was running the franchise into the ground.

He'd be right there also.

L.A. Chieffan
09-16-2014, 10:07 AM
Fisher has been fine

jd1020
09-16-2014, 10:07 AM
And he can also say that I was a complete dick and everyone hated me. and that he was running the franchise into the ground.

He'd be right there also.

Wont be long til every one hates Dorsey too.

L.A. Chieffan
09-16-2014, 10:09 AM
Dee Ford was a future pick and could be a beast. DAT will be great once hes on the field, bank it

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-16-2014, 10:13 AM
Dorsey's job is to "get the players that the coaches want".

I'd say our coaches are the issue.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-16-2014, 10:14 AM
Fisher has been fine

Dee Ford was a future pick and could be a beast. DAT will be great once hes on the field, bank it

WRITE THAT DOWN!/Fece

el borracho
09-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Dorsey has done a nice job on the complementary pieces, but his biggest decisions have largely been disasters.
the trade for Alex
Alex's contract extension
Fisher at 1.1
Charles' contract extension

Dunerdr
09-16-2014, 11:00 AM
We need a free agency guy then Dorsey to draft

Hammock Parties
09-16-2014, 11:20 AM
Fisher has not been good. Not even average. Stop these lies.

KC native
09-16-2014, 11:22 AM
Fisher has not been good. Not even average. Stop these lies.

This. I have a running argument with one of my best friends about this. He insists that Fisher has been adequate and improving to being good.

L.A. Chieffan
09-16-2014, 01:02 PM
I'm watching the Game Rewind right now, Fisher looks really good first half. Almost all pass rush is coming from the right side and all of Davis's big runs are coming on the left including the TD.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2014, 01:08 PM
The Fisher Queen:

http://www.foxsports.com/kansas-city/story/so-far-branden-albert-is-outplaying-eric-fisher-and-not-by-a-little-091514

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The eyes said Eric Fisher won. Or at least, that the big lug won more than he lost.

The stats say it, too: Denver's DeMarcus Ware on Sunday was officially credited with a solo tackle, an assist, two quarterback hits and no sacks.

Mind you, he also threw Fisher around a bit in the last three minutes, racking up a strip-sack on Alex Smith that would've effectively ended the game with 1:54 to go at the Broncos' 37. Ultimately, the call was overturned -- ruled a forward pass and an incompletion on Smith's part -- and the parade moved on.
ProFootballFocus.com, though, did not.

On a slow-clap, nice-effort, non-Victory Monday on the Plains in which the Chiefs' offensive line was more or less praised for functioning as a cohesive unit after a week of playing the role of human turnstiles against Tennessee, PFF's verdicts were comparatively scathing. Center Rodney Hudson: +0.6. New right tackle Ryan Harris: -1.9. New left guard Mike McGlynn: -2.2. And Big Fish: -4.9 -- the lowest overall grade on the squad that day for any player, regardless of snaps -- and a -3.1 mark on pass protection.

"I thought he did a nice job," coach Andy Reid said Monday afternoon when asked about Fisher, his second-year left tackle.

"He'll be able to go back against a top-notch pass rusher in pass-rush situations, go back and analyze his performance and see where he can even do a better job there. But again, you're talking about one of the best pass rushers in this league (in Ware). So I thought he did a nice job. You didn't worry much about the left side there."

So somebody's full of it, which is fine. PFF doesn't claim to be the gospel or the final word; it's a tool, and a damn good one at that, at least for the layman. It's also either the best thing or the worst thing that ever happened to NFL linemen on both sides of the ball, depending on your perspective, because those are usually the numbers we're checking first. The mainstream stats for skill players don't always tell the whole story, but they sketch out a reasonable profile. There are no "sketch" stats for individual offensive linemen in the box score. Unit stats -- rushing success, sacks allowed, penalties -- yes, but individual numbers, no.

Chiefs lacked some key players in Denver -- at least they had a pulse
We bring this up because it's now Miami Week. That means Cairo Santos Week, if you prefer to spin forward, or Branden Albert Week, if you want to look back.

Albert was the Chiefs' left tackle from 2008-13, and he developed into a solid, if unspectacular option on the blind side, especially when it came to pass protection. B.A. also came off as a moderately unhappy camper here in the fall of 2012 and a fairly unhappy one -- indeed, one who often avoided the press in general -- in 2013 after he'd gotten slapped with the franchise tag the spring before.

And, looking back, you can sort of grasp his beef. Nor did it help matters that general manager John Dorsey confirmed trade offers for Albert that never got consummated -- the Dolphins were reportedly the top suitors -- and then went out and explicitly drafted the left tackle's replacement with the No. 1 overall pick, a selection that turned out to be Fisher.

It was a little awkward, but the Chiefs came out like gangbusters last fall, and old wounds, at least on the surface, got buried. Or tabled. Or something.
But business is business, and Albert, 29, walked out the door at the first available opportunity, inking a five-year deal that included $25 million in guaranteed dollars with Miami in March. Fisher moved from a right-tackle-in-training to his preferred left tackle slot, and out came the sunshine and rainbows.

Sunshine, rainbows and surgeries.

"Like you said, (it's) a comfortable feeling," Fisher said last week when asked about returning to the blind side, "and I'm happy to be back over there."

Happy, maybe. Healthy, probably not.

Offseason work to fix a bum shoulder and a sports hernia made it look as if the 6-foot-7 tackle spent August trying to fend off pass-rushers with only one good arm. Rest and time have improved things somewhat, and the Broncos tilt even felt like something of a corner turned. That is, until you saw this from PFF on Monday:

Fisher, Year 2 (2014), after two games: -7.4 overall, -5.4 on pass protection.
Albert, Year 2 (2009), after two games: -0.5 overall, -0.7 on pass protection.

Or this:

Albert, with the Dolphins, after two games: +8.1 overall, +4.2 on pass protection.

Oy vey.

"Is there room to improve? Absolutely," Reid said of his line. "And I'll tell you that about all of us -- we've got a ton of room to improve. They're playing a little bit better as a unit, and that's important at that position. I think every game they have an opportunity to play together, they'll improve in that area."
Fisher will, too, you'd think. At least, you'd hope.
Because whether he likes it or not, No. 72 is chained to Dorsey every bit as much as the Smith trade and the Smith extension, the kind of thing that will either accelerate the rebuilding process or sink it entirely. Consider: In the winter/spring of '13, some 19 months ago, Dorsey had to hit the ground running and found himself faced with two potentially big free agents on the table in wideout Dwayne Bowe and Albert.
Dorsey gave Bowe a five-year contract. Albert got tagged.

Ask 10 Chiefs fans which way they'd go if faced with that same choice now, and 11 out of 10 would've run the complete opposite direction. Hindsight may make geniuses of us all, but that doesn't make the now any less painfu

Hammock Parties
09-16-2014, 01:13 PM
That's hilarious considering how bad Albert was in 2009.

RealSNR
09-16-2014, 01:14 PM
Fisher doesn't suck as much as a tackle as Zach Fulton sucks at guard.

Trying to be nice

Discuss Thrower
09-16-2014, 01:16 PM
How many of the following will be starting the Chiefs in 2016?

Fisher
Davis
Kelce
Nico Johnson
Sanders Commings
Eric Kush
Mike Catapano

Mr. Laz
09-16-2014, 01:23 PM
He's going to live or die with the draft picks because he didn't do much of anything else

Draft and dumpster dive just like a good player personnel guys should do

Mr. Laz
09-16-2014, 01:24 PM

Fisher
Davis
Kelce
Nico Johnson
Sanders Commings
Eric Kush
Mike Catapano
more importantly ... How many SHOULD be starting for the Chiefs in 2016

L.A. Chieffan
09-16-2014, 01:26 PM
I just rewatched the entire game focusing primarily on Fisher and he played a GREAT GAME. The only sack he gave up was the one that wasn't even a sack. Both Davis TDs came on his side and several other big run plays.

LACF rating is +5.0

PFF can eat a dick.

L.A. Chieffan
09-16-2014, 01:30 PM
I have no clue what game PFF was watching...they must have an obvious bias against Fisher or something

Hammock Parties
09-16-2014, 01:31 PM
I'm popping corn and capturing GIFs now. Boy Fisher sucks. Post to come!

penbrook
09-16-2014, 01:40 PM
I have no clue what game PFF was watching...they must have an obvious bias against Fisher or something

Well remember they were the ones that also didn't include Charles in there top 100 players and said the Seahawks had the worst o line last year

RunKC
09-16-2014, 01:41 PM
OP forgot to mention Cooper who looked solid last year except vs Manning then on Sunday looked solid vs Manning aside from one play.

Fisher has been solid so far. He's had a few mistakes but has looked much better than last year or even preseason.
But hey PFF says he sucks. They also said the Seahawks OL was bad last year. Haha

kcjayhawks5
09-16-2014, 01:44 PM
Ill give him a 6/10. Playoffs in first year but obviously some questionable decisions. I was VERY surprised that the Chiefs looked competitive against Denver on Sunday so that gives me some hope.

Hammock Parties
09-16-2014, 01:52 PM
Fisher played a pretty decent first quarter. There must be some huge whiffs coming. Watching coach's film.

Started the 2nd and he just got fucking body slammed. LMAO

Hammock Parties
09-16-2014, 02:05 PM
Run blocking is shitty in the 2nd. He just executed a slide into 2nd base perfectly trying to block a LB. LMAO

J Diddy
09-16-2014, 02:11 PM

Trying to be nice

Rookie shit

He'll be alright

wazu
09-16-2014, 02:18 PM
Would love to sit in on one of these PFF grading sessions. Albert gave up a sack against the Bills. Seems like his rating would be a little less pristine than they are showing.

Hammock Parties
09-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Fisher's run blocking is absolutely shitty so far. Midway through the third and I have 14 snaps where he is not doing well. Probably around 25 before we're all said and done.

Hammock Parties
09-16-2014, 02:26 PM
Would love to sit in on one of these PFF grading sessions. Albert gave up a sack against the Bills. Seems like his rating would be a little less pristine than they are showing.

If that was his only ding he had a great game.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-16-2014, 02:26 PM

If you give up one sack and have 75 other good plays it's not going to hurt you as much as giving up no sacks but six QB hits and hurries, because your failure fucked up far more plays.

Mr. Laz
09-16-2014, 02:30 PM
I don't give a fuck about PFF.

I saw Fisher finally hold his ground against the bull rush.

I saw Fisher not over extend himself protecting the edge so he didn't get pulled forward and off-balance on a swim move.

I saw Fisher maintain leverage and have the strength to hold the point of attack.

I saw Fisher not fall on his face trying to move around on run blocks.

All these things are improvements over last year and even this preseason.

He's healthy and getting physically stronger which shows throughout his play.

PFF can eat a bag of dicks.

Rausch
09-16-2014, 02:31 PM

Trying to be nice

That's accurate...

Rausch
09-16-2014, 02:33 PM

Fisher
Davis
Kelce
Nico Johnson
Sanders Commings
Eric Kush
Mike Catapano

If he can stay healthy I'll go Kelce. That's it.

Davis has the talent but he's been banged up damned near every year he's played. I doubt he lasts until Charles comes back.

Kush looks like solid depth.

Commings is a joke. Johnson is a joke.

Catapano has ebola...

L.A. Chieffan
09-16-2014, 02:34 PM
Its all subjective BS, I can go in and tell you on every play that this guy or that guy isnt doing his job right. Fact of the matter is if you arent sitting in the TEAMS offensive line video room you have no idea what is going on and who f'd up. Sometimes an OLinemans job is to slide into a LB

Rausch
09-16-2014, 02:37 PM
Its all subjective BS, I can go in and tell you on every play that this guy or that guy isnt doing his job right. Fact of the matter is if you arent sitting in the TEAMS offensive line video room you have no idea what is going on and who f'd up.

I'm pretty sure Fulton's assignment isn't to slowly walk the pass rusher to his QB...

Hammock Parties
09-16-2014, 02:47 PM
The greatest thing about that sack/incompletion that Fisher allowed is on the next play he got his lunch eaten again...LMAO

Great throw by Alex.

Hammock Parties
09-16-2014, 02:54 PM
21/75 plays were very poor for Fisher.

People are right that his pass blocking was fine until the 4th quarter. His HORRID run blocking is being ignored though.

Reerun_KC
09-16-2014, 03:09 PM

People are right that his pass blocking was fine until the 4th quarter. His HORRID run blocking is being ignored though.
You are basing this on what?

chiefzilla1501
09-16-2014, 03:25 PM
If you give up one sack and have 75 other good plays it's not going to hurt you as much as giving up no sacks but six QB hits and hurries, because your failure ****ed up far more plays.

You have to put context around it. He was also playing on a slippery field and in the altitude, where visitors tend to get gassed because they're not used to the conditions. I am sure Fisher also didn't get full conditioning this offseason and his arms maybe don't have the full stamina.

Those are excuses. But they are also legitimate reasons why you have to grade a little on a curve. I thought his biggest problems were largely him slipping around on run plays and that at the end of the game, he was flailing his arms around in pass pro.

Bewbies
09-16-2014, 03:28 PM
I wonder if Fisher will end up being bashed by the Sacc wannabee's of the world just like Albert was?

chiefzilla1501
09-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Here's my view on Dorsey.....

2013 was highly overrated. Overpaid for Bowe, Colquitt. Seemed raw trying to trade Albert and hide that he was going to take a left tackle. Probably gave up too much draft value for Alex Smith. Overpaid for veteran "stopgap" contracts like Chase Daniel and Fasano. Way overdrafted for Eric Fisher.

2014... the approach has been the right one even if people hate it. The execution remains to be seen. We devalued offensive linemen and chose not to throw huge contracts at them, and use the later rounds to draft... Good - Jon Schneider does this shit too in Seattle, the difference is his linemen turn into quality starters. He draft high risk / high reward guys over conservative need guys. I love that too. He was patient in negotiating contracts. Even if people hate the Smith and Charles contract, at least they were slotted correctly. They aren't overpaid. Smith was paid like a mid-level starting QB which is about right. All this has helped clean up the cap and create a clean cap situation starting next year and very favorable within 2 years. It also helped us stockpile picks in next year which was badly needed.

It remains to be seen what we have in Dorsey. Too soon to tell, but it's a little scary. He is right to put it all on the draft but so far, we have a few guys contributing and we need for half of his picks to start quality contributing and we need some true playmakers to emerge out of that too. Dorsey has to find a replacement for Alex Smith so that our window doesn't close in 2-3 years with no replacement QB. He has to keep improving on the business side, as he doesn't seem to have savvy working deals with players or for trades. Now that the team is becoming his own, he has to start hitting some big free agent upgrades, not the ticky tack overpaid ones like Avery and DeVito.

In fairness to Dorsey, in the three games where his guys were asked to step in, we almost beat San Diego, Denver, and Indy (three playoff teams in tough, tough conditions). I don't know why they've competed, but they did. His players do need time to develop and it's silly to call people busts in year 1 or call them bad picks if it takes a year or 2 to develop. But as I state above... there's a LOT of things that need to start happening before we can call Dorsey good and that has to scare him a ton because only a little has happened so far to say we're executing correctly.

J Diddy
09-16-2014, 03:40 PM

Seriously, it's Clay?

As always based on a subjective measurement with his predetermined agenda in mind.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-16-2014, 03:50 PM
I'm popping corn and capturing GIFs now. Boy Fisher sucks. Post to come!

LMAO

Hammock Parties
09-16-2014, 03:50 PM

Watched the plays. Saw Fisher losing control of those he was assigned to block. Judged it as poor OL play.

Wait for the GIFs. You'll see.

MahiMike
09-16-2014, 04:09 PM
Of the 3 you name as potential "good starters" there's only one that I think actually has a chance and that's Kelce.

Fisher is... :facepalm:

And Davis is a decent backup. He's not shifty. He often gets taken down at the los, but every now and then when he gets a BIG hole he can spring a run for 10+ yards. He's like Jackie Battle, just a change of pace back.

Some of you guys have been watching baseball during the football games.

MahiMike
09-16-2014, 04:13 PM

God I wish I lived near you so I could kick the living shit out of your pansy ass!

Seriously, you have simply ruined this board.

Mods? Are you listening?

Hammock Parties
09-16-2014, 04:15 PM
God I wish I lived near you so I could kick the living shit out of your pansy ass!

Mods? Are you listening?

The Chiefs are 0-2. We're discussing how some of the players suck.

That's ruining the board?

Just Passin' By
09-16-2014, 04:21 PM

Mods? Are you listening?

He trolls every thread. The mods let him.

Old news.

mcaj22
09-16-2014, 04:39 PM
I don't like Dorsey, here are my reasons by year

2013:
-5 million to Dunta Robinson = Awful reaction move
-Contracts to Sean Smith, Devito, Fasano, Avery, Bowe, Colquitt, etc
-Drafted to replace departing contracts rather than to upgrade the team. He could have upgrade by drafting Sheldon Richardson, Star Lotulelei, pretty much anyone that had clear talent rather than filled a hole.
-Two 2nd round picks for Alex Smith.

2014:
-Punked by Emmanuel Sanders and a division rival in FA
-Marquee signing is of the offseason is Vance Walker who has 1 sack on the year, didn't even play/get any run in the Denver game. Has yet to make any sort of impact or help this team in any way.
-Let a lot of average NFL players walk, managed to replace all them with below average or poor players.
-Continues to draft to replace contracts/departing veterans.
-All his players are based on hope and hype and not actual production, similar to Piolis picks. "Well if this guy pans out...."
-Rookie contracts are 4 years and the Chiefs are still using an outdated approach of developing and hoping guys can produce in year 3 of their 4 year deal. Which makes no ****ing sense whatsoever in this era of the NFL. You need guys that can help from day 1, and we continue to not draft any.
-Has yet to keep a homegrown Chiefs player on their 2nd contract (this may change with Houston or Berry, but he has yet to do it and faces a lot of these decisions in the future, how Dorsey handles them will determine his fate IMO.)
-70 million to Alex Smith. He could have let him play out the year and took that gamble, basically a reverse Joe Flacco, cause if the team played poor (and it was obvious they were gonna) Dorsey could have reset the whole thing, and fans would have praised him for it.

I don't hate Alex Smith, but Alex Smith's situation here verses what Dorsey is doing with the rest of the roster are contradicting moves that go against each other. And because of that I don't like how the roster around Smith is being built, or Alex Smith being used on a young rebuilding roster. It just makes NO sense either way, and that probably falls more on John Dorsey than it does Alex as a player. He doesn't need to be here, he needs a veteran team, we don't have that here. It's that simple.

Mr. Laz
09-16-2014, 05:23 PM
I wonder if Fisher will end up being bashed by the Sacc wannabee's of the world just like Albert was?

still carrying the torch for Albert

Have you purchased his Dolphin jersey yet?

Mr. Laz
09-16-2014, 05:25 PM

Mods? Are you listening?
Goatboy has convinced the Mods that he spurs debate ala Skip Bayless.

Either that or he sucks a mean mod dick ... maybe both.

The more people hate him the better he likes it.

Easy 6
09-16-2014, 05:34 PM

2013:
-5 million to Dunta Robinson = Awful reaction move
-Contracts to Sean Smith, Devito, Fasano, Avery, Bowe, Colquitt, etc
-Drafted to replace departing contracts rather than to upgrade the team. He could have upgrade by drafting Sheldon Richardson, Star Lotulelei, pretty much anyone that had clear talent rather than filled a hole.
-Two 2nd round picks for Alex Smith.

2014:
-Punked by Emmanuel Sanders and a division rival in FA
-Marquee signing is of the offseason is Vance Walker who has 1 sack on the year, didn't even play/get any run in the Denver game. Has yet to make any sort of impact or help this team in any way.
-Let a lot of average NFL players walk, managed to replace all them with below average or poor players.
-All his players are based on hope and hype and not actual production, similar to Piolis picks. "Well if this guy pans out...."
-Rookie contracts are 4 years and the Chiefs are still using an outdated approach of developing and hoping guys can produce in year 3 of their 4 year deal. Which makes no ****ing sense whatsoever in this era of the NFL. You need guys that can help from day 1, and we continue to not draft any.
-Has yet to keep a homegrown Chiefs player on their 2nd contract (this may change with Houston or Berry, but he has yet to do it and faces a lot of these decisions in the future, how Dorsey handles them will determine his fate IMO.)
-70 million to Alex Smith. He could have let him play out the year and took that gamble, basically a reverse Joe Flacco, cause if the team played poor (and it was obvious they were gonna) Dorsey could have reset the whole thing, and fans would have praised him for it.

I don't hate Alex Smith, but Alex Smith's situation here verses what Dorsey is doing with the rest of the roster are contradicting moves that go against each other. And because of that I don't like how the roster around Smith is being built, or Alex Smith being used on a young rebuilding roster. It just makes NO sense either way, and that probably falls more on John Dorsey than it does Alex as a player. He doesn't need to be here, he needs a veteran team, we don't have that here. It's that simple.

Wow, while I may not agree with 100% of it... thats a very well thought out indictment.

chiefzilla1501
09-16-2014, 05:50 PM

2013:

Agreed on all points

I have a problem with your points below in 2014. Again... much of the approach is solid. It's the talent evaluation and execution that so far is the problem.

They let low positional value players go. They saved a shitload of money with their replacements. I don't see a problem there. A good GM can get that done. So far, Dorsey's replacements look a little iffy.

Drafting Fisher to replace Albert was a terrible move. I see no problem with drafting an OLB and a CB if it was truly BPA. If Ford and Gaines pan out, I seriously have no idea why anybody would care. That is total BS in comparing Dorsey to Pioli if we look at 2014 alone. Pioli went safe every fucking time except for Poe. I at least like that Ford and Gaines play positions that have risk / reward even if I'm not high on Ford.

If you expect to do that with anything but a top 15 pick, you are building a recipe for safe picks vs. high ceiling picks. I seriously don't understand why people would rather a low ceiling safe pick in the early rounds vs. a risky pick with higher upside. For the same reason I could never understand people who wanted Terence Cody but despised Dontari Poe.

The moves work out okay if he is excellent in the draft and they find a QBOTF to replace Smith WHILE SMITH IS HERE. There is nothing wrong with the approach. There is so far something very wrong with talent evaluation.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-16-2014, 06:30 PM

Mods? Are you listening?

If the Chiefs drafting goal in life is to get "someday he may be a grade above serviceable" out of a 1.1 pick, then I'll gladly pay your plane ticket or bus fare to go kick their pansy asses.

3rd Quarter 38-10
09-16-2014, 06:44 PM
Chiefs fans want the Chiefs to be competitive with the best teams in the league. Chiefs fans would like to see a win in a playoff game. These are reasonable expectations. Has Dorsey done anything to move the Chiefs in the direction of competing with the best teams in the league? Do the Chiefs have any chance of winning the division in the foreseeable future? If the answer is no then Dorsey hasn't done enough.

I am very pessimistic about the Chiefs. I don't think the Chiefs organization cares about winning. Their only priority is to make money. They will do just enough to keep the fans interested.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Chiefs fans want the Chiefs to be competitive with the best teams in the league. Chiefs fans would like to see a win in a playoff game. These are reasonable expectations. Has Dorsey done anything to move the Chiefs in the direction of competing with the best teams in the league? Do the Chiefs have any chance of winning the division in the foreseeable future? If the answer is no then Dorsey hasn't done enough.

I am very pessimistic about the Chiefs. I don't think the Chiefs organization cares about winning. Their only priority is to make money. They will do just enough to keep the fans interested.

You are the greatest n00b ever, and should be sent a Hickory Farms gift basket immediately.