PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs So I Started My New Job

TEX
09-16-2014, 04:31 PM
I started working for Houston Astros last Tuesday, and I must say that it's really cool to work for a MLB club. Most EVERYTHING about the environment is different from what I'm used to. My office overlooks Minute Maid Park and I can see the field when the roof is open. Wasn't really looking for a new job, but this one came available and I was able to land it (probably because I wasn't pressed due to the fact that I already had a job). Flat Screen TV's everywhere tuned into sports all day long - kinda like the ticker at the stock market. My first day they were were testing the "Home Run Train" - SCARED the crap out of me! I thought a damn train derailed and was heading straight for the building. LOL! ROOKIE! Today it's raining hard so the roof is closed, freeway is a mess so I'm gonna wait it out and head down to the field and catch part of the game - the Indians are in town. Lots going on with Jose Altuve - maybe he'll win the batting title... Still cant get used to the Stros being in the American League, but I suppose I will one day.

Having said all that - GO ROYALS!

(If the Stros can't win it, hope the Royals can)

Al Bundy
09-16-2014, 04:32 PM
Awesome. Sounds like a fun job.

Deberg_1990
09-16-2014, 04:34 PM
Congrats!

Hook me up with some Tix when the Royals play there next year!

Rasputin
09-16-2014, 04:38 PM
So you got George Costanzas job only for the Astros not Yankees. Congrats.

lewdog
09-16-2014, 04:42 PM
I would like a Jose Altuve autographed ball to add to my collection of signed baseballs.

Please and thank you.

Pepe Silvia
09-16-2014, 04:49 PM
Lucky bastard. Now you just have to buy the team.

Sully
09-16-2014, 05:32 PM
Know where to buy a good calzone?

Rain Man
09-16-2014, 05:33 PM
Congratulations! It sounds like you might be needing some market research.

Ming the Merciless
09-16-2014, 05:42 PM
congrats man, your happiness is exploding off the screen!

Keep it up!

Jimmya
09-16-2014, 05:45 PM
Congratulations.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad
09-16-2014, 05:54 PM
Hopefully they aren't as cheap and dick-headed as they come across to us fans.

OldSchool
09-16-2014, 06:01 PM
Grats, sounds like a fun job!

Marcellus
09-16-2014, 06:05 PM
You can't see it right now but I am green as hell with envy right now.

displacedinMN
09-16-2014, 06:10 PM
How Cool!!!!

Just hope the GM is not monitoring your internet usage. Don't want him/her to go full Pioli.

Simply Red
09-16-2014, 06:16 PM
I started working for Houston Astros last Tuesday, and I must say that it's really cool to work for a MLB club. Most EVERYTHING about the environment is different from what I'm used to. My office overlooks Minute Maid Park and I can see the field when the roof is open. Wasn't really looking for a new job, but this one came available and I was able to land it (probably because I wasn't pressed due to the fact that I already had a job). Flat Screen TV's everywhere tuned into sports all day long - kinda like the ticker at the stock market. My first day they were were testing the "Home Run Train" - SCARED the crap out of me! I thought a damn train derailed and was heading straight for the building. LOL! ROOKIE! Today it's raining hard so the roof is closed, freeway is a mess so I'm gonna wait it out and head down to the field and catch part of the game - the Indians are in town. Lots going on with Jose Altuve - maybe he'll win the batting title... Still cant get used to the Stros being in the American League, but I suppose I will one day.

You seem nice.

TribalElder
09-16-2014, 06:20 PM
Lucky bastard. Now you just have to buy the team.

The owner is a UCMO grad :shrug:

tboss27
09-16-2014, 07:19 PM
What kind of work are you doing for the Astros?

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-16-2014, 07:27 PM
Well, I'm impressed! Do you clean all the urinals or write the players paychecks ?

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-16-2014, 07:29 PM
Did you meet Kelly Leak yet?!

WilliamTheIrish
09-16-2014, 07:35 PM
That's awesome.

cosmo20002
09-16-2014, 07:41 PM

When you told them that you believe all the games are fixed, what did they say?

Simply Red
That's awesome.

You're awesome too WTI.

Simply Red

They said that they thought that you were a nice person.

Rausch
09-16-2014, 07:53 PM
You seem nice.

Ok, it's just creepy now...

Buehler445
09-16-2014, 07:58 PM
Congrats man. That's awesome.

Perineum Ripper
09-16-2014, 08:31 PM
That's awesome..a dream job..congrats man

Simply Red
09-16-2014, 08:35 PM

LMAO

TEX
09-16-2014, 09:41 PM
What kind of work are you doing for the Astros?

Community Affairs Dept. Specifically Alumni Relations and Foundation Development.

Fairplay
09-16-2014, 09:44 PM
Don't act like a noob and ask for autographs and drool over the players act like you've been there and done that.

TEX
09-16-2014, 09:47 PM

They said the world was flat and that they were going to cut Altuve and Springer and replace them with JAGS. So, you can definitely relate...

TEX
09-16-2014, 09:57 PM
Don't act like a noob and ask for autographs and drool over the players act like you've been there and done that.

Of course. Nolan Ryan was at a Foundation meeting last Thursday. His son Reid is the Astros President and my boss. Craig Biggio will be at this week's meeting. I had to get 5 dozen balls to Jose Altuve today to sign after batting practice for Foundation silent auction items. I just try and act normal but its kind of intimidating being around some of those guys because I'm a NOBODY.

lewdog
09-16-2014, 10:00 PM
Of course. Nolan Ryan was at a Foundation meeting last Thursday. His son Reid is the Astros President and my boss. Craig Biggio will be at this week's meeting. I had to get 5 dozen balls to Jose Altuve today to sign after batting practice for Foundation silent auction items. I just try and act normal but its kind of intimidating being around some of those guys because I'm a NOBODY.

So what's the math on 5 dozen Jose Altuve signed balls minus one shipped to lewdog?

TEX
09-16-2014, 10:05 PM

Thanks. I used to work at the Mayor's Office of Special Events and worked with the local pro teams at various events. So, I heard through a source at the Astros that there was an opening. I applied and 8 weeks and 5 interviews later got the job. Was VERY fortunate.

TEX
09-16-2014, 10:13 PM
So what's the math on 5 dozen Jose Altuve signed balls minus one shipped to lewdog?

Lol! If you're ever in Houston, I might be able to accommodate. I took some folks from Blue Cross Blue Shield to a "meet & greet" with him after he signed them. Glad several spoke Spanish because its hard to understand him. One time I thought he was yelling at me and he was just trying to say he wanted some VITAMINE WATER. LOL! Man, I didnt know what the fuck he was saying....

TEX
09-16-2014, 10:19 PM

Thanks. I feel very lucky and fortunate.

cosmo20002
09-16-2014, 10:26 PM
Community Affairs Dept. Specifically Alumni Relations and Foundation Development.

I always liked Jose Cruz for some reason. Say hi to him for me if you have the chance.

And Dickie Thon was the last card I needed to complete the 1982 Topps set. My friend totally raped me in a trade so I could get that card. So I hated Dickie Thon but felt bad for him when he got hit in the face by a pitch a couple years later. Feel free to use that story if you run into him.

Mr. Flopnuts
09-16-2014, 10:30 PM
Lol! If you're ever in Houston, I might be able to accommodate. I took some folks from Blue Cross Blue Shield to a "meet & greet" with him after he signed them. Glad several spoke Spanish because its hard to understand him. One time I thought he was yelling at me and he was just trying to say he wanted some VITAMINE WATER. LOL! Man, I didnt know what the fuck he was saying....

ROFL I'm looking forward to many more awesome stories like this one! That's great!

Hog's Gone Fishin
09-17-2014, 12:44 AM
Lol! If you're ever in Houston, I might be able to accommodate. I took some folks from Blue Cross Blue Shield to a "meet & greet" with him after he signed them. Glad several spoke Spanish because its hard to understand him. One time I thought he was yelling at me and he was just trying to say he wanted some VITAMINE WATER. LOL! Man, I didnt know what the **** he was saying....

If you had any balls you'd tell him to cleanup his English and explain to him he's living in the United States now and in the United states we here speak ENGLISH !!!

Oh, and you should tell him that if he wants some fucking VITAMIN WATER he can go fuck himself !

TEX
09-17-2014, 05:17 AM
I always liked Jose Cruz for some reason. Say hi to him for me if you have the chance.

And Dickie Thon was the last card I needed to complete the 1982 Topps set. My friend totally raped me in a trade so I could get that card. So I hated Dickie Thon but felt bad for him when he got hit in the face by a pitch a couple years later. Feel free to use that story if you run into him.

Cruz is around a lot. He does lots of foundation work reaching out to the Hispanic community and the community in general. In fact, he'll be at the event we have before the game this Saturday.

Thon, on the other hand, does not really have any involvement with the Astros. Sure was a shame what happened to him. Worst beaning I ever saw. He was never the same afterwards.

LOL! About your Dickie Thon baseball card story. I think we ALL got raped making card trades and for Slurpie baseball player cups. I remember Vida Blue cost me my extra Willie McCovey AND Pete Rose cups when I was a kid. LOL!

I still have all of them by the way...

TEX
09-17-2014, 05:22 AM
If you had any balls you'd tell him to cleanup his English and explain to him he's living in the United States now and in the United states we here speak ENGLISH !!!

Oh, and you should tell him that if he wants some ****ing VITAMIN WATER he can go **** himself !

ROFL I hear ya! Maybe after I've been there awhile...

TEX
09-17-2014, 05:36 AM
Did you meet Kelly Leak yet?!

ROFL Nope. But as a kid, I was an extra in the crowd when they filmed part of a Bad News Bears movie in the Dome.

Coochie liquor
09-17-2014, 05:58 AM
You're a lucky man! Congrats brotha!!

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-17-2014, 06:58 AM
ROFL Nope. But as a kid, I was an extra in the crowd when they filmed part of a Bad News Bears movie in the Dome.

http://www.theleanbody.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/1200-calorie-diet1.jpg

lewdog
09-17-2014, 03:17 PM

So you're saying a trip to Houston is all it will take to acquire a Jose Altuve ball?

I'm in!

Congrats though on the job. That's cool not matter what team you're working for.

Deberg_1990
09-17-2014, 04:02 PM

"Let them play!, let them play!"

AndChiefs
09-17-2014, 04:03 PM
So you're saying a trip to Houston is all it will take to acquire a Jose Altuve ball?

I'm in!

Congrats though on the job. That's cool not matter what team you're working for.

And here I already live in Houston. Hey there, TEX. :)

TEX
09-17-2014, 04:07 PM

I'm in!

Yep. But sometimes they're scheduled for a signing, and they dont show. That was the case today with George Springer. Dallas Keuchel, Carter and Fowler showed so it wasnt a total wash.
Also they're only in town through Sunday and many wont be back till after spring training. I'm told its hit & miss this time of year too because many are at the limit of the specified # of signings as listed in their contracts. Its such a business these days.

lewdog
09-17-2014, 05:38 PM
Yep. But sometimes they're scheduled for a signing, and they dont show. That was the case today with George Springer. Dallas Keuchel, Carter and Fowler showed so it wasnt a total wash.
Also they're only in town through Sunday and many wont be back till after spring training. I'm told its hit & miss this time of year too because many are at the limit of the specified # of signings as listed in their contracts. Its such a business these days.

I know some guys have contracts with companies which limit their signings but many of the Royals signed before games for fans here in Phoenix when I went. Not sure if every team is like that? Was still hard obtaining them as they only sign a handful but most everyone on the team signed at least a bit. I only managed to get one guy though. lol.

milkman
09-17-2014, 06:15 PM

Just now?

TEX
09-18-2014, 04:19 PM
Congrats!

Hook me up with some Tix when the Royals play there next year!

Will do - just PM when the time comes or now and I'll give you my work email address... The schedule is already out so you can pick the dates.

TEX
09-18-2014, 04:34 PM
And here I already live in Houston. Hey there, TEX. :)

LOL! No problem. PM me. I'll give you my work email address and we'll take it from there.

TEX
09-18-2014, 04:35 PM
"Let them play!, let them play!"

EXACTLY!!!! Those were our lines. LMAO