PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs Late night bullshit: What it will cost to cut the following players in 2015:

Direckshun
09-18-2014, 01:03 AM
We're walking into next offseason with approximately $5 million dollars right now.

Per overthecap.com:

If we cut Hali, we save 9m.

Charles, 6.7m

Sean Smith, 5.5m.

DJ, 5.25. ($0 dead money if we were to cut DJ -- keep your eyes here for a surprise cut.)

Bowe, 5m.

DeVito, 4m.

Daniel, 3.8m.

Avery, 3.5m.

Mays, 3m.

Fasano, 2m (+2m in dead money).

Alex Smith, 1.2m ($14m in dead money).

Keep in mind, this offseason, we're going to need to sign Houston. We're also probably going to try to sign Hudson. I'm guessing at this point that we let Allen Bailey walk. No other departing free agents will cost much of anything.

I think we end up cutting at least three of the more obvious players here (Hali and Sean Smith are obvious, along with possibly DJ and Fasano). That'll be enough to ink Houston and maybe Hudson. Everybody else walks, and we likely have zero activity in free agency for another year.

el borracho
09-18-2014, 01:09 AM
They just gave Charles and Smith contract extensions. Seems unlikely they will cut them less than one year after negotiating contract extensions.

Direckshun
09-18-2014, 01:16 AM
They just gave Charles and Smith contract extensions. Seems unlikely they will cut them less than one year after negotiating contract extensions.

I'm pretty sure they can walk away from Alex Smith this year if they are so inclined. The dead money will hurt, but if Andy Reid gets fired, it's as doable as it's going to be for a couple of years.

Charles deal is strange... it's an extension, but cutting him saves over $6m, and doesn't even give us $2m in dead money.

Hammock Parties
09-18-2014, 01:16 AM
we likely have zero activity in free agency for another year.

ROFL

On the plus side, two years in a row of drafting at the top of every round in the draft should bring in some A+ talent!

Hammock Parties
09-18-2014, 01:17 AM
If we had not signed the following bums:

Dunta
Fasano
Smith
Mays
Daniel

And not given Alex his absurd contract extension....

Is Albert a Chief?

Direckshun
09-18-2014, 01:21 AM
ROFL

On the plus side, two years in a row of drafting at the top of every round in the draft should bring in some A+ talent!

Who I'd cut:

Hali (no way around it, he's getting cut)
S. Smith
DeVito
Daniel
Fasano

That'd net us 24 million. If we're married to losing Hali, then that allows us to sign Houston and sign a few B-grade FAs, or one A-grade FA. (The FA pool looks weak next year...)

If it was up to me, we'd keep Hali, which would give us about 15m. That'd ink Houston and land us 1 B-level FA.

Direckshun
09-18-2014, 01:22 AM
If we had not signed the following bums:

Dunta
Fasano
Smith
Mays
Daniel

And not given Alex his absurd contract extension....

Is Albert a Chief?

Depends. Who would we have taken 1st overall if that were all the case?

The second we drafted Fisher, Albert's stay in KC was over. There's just no way Fisher would have ended up anywhere but at LT.

el borracho
09-18-2014, 01:24 AM
DeBerg got 4 years
Grbac got 4 years
Green got 6 years
even Cassel got 4 years

I dislike Alex as a starting QB as much as anybody, but I don't believe there is any chance at all that he isn't here for another 2-3 years.

Hammock Parties
09-18-2014, 01:24 AM
Depends. Who would we have taken 1st overall if that were all the case?

The second we drafted Fisher, Albert's stay in KC was over. There's just no way Fisher would have ended up anywhere but at LT.

Well yeah. Obviously if you approach the offseason with "don't sign bums" in mind and ink Albert immediately you aren't gonna draft Fisher.

I bet we could have traded down and saved even MORE money on the contract we gave our fantasy R1 pick.

Direckshun
09-18-2014, 01:25 AM
DeBerg got 4 years
Grbac got 4 years
Green got 6 years
even Cassel got 4 years

I dislike Alex as a starting QB as much as anybody, but I don't believe there is any chance at all that he isn't here for another 2-3 years.

He's here as long as Reid is here.

If/when a new HC is brought in, that HC will want his own QB.

el borracho
09-18-2014, 01:33 AM
Herm got 3 years
Haley got 3 years
Crennel only got 1, but there were airplanes dragging fan petitions and fan-organized "black outs" at the games and the team went 2-14.

Again, I think you are kidding yourself if you think Reid is going anywhere anytime soon.

Hammock Parties
09-18-2014, 01:35 AM
Herm got 3 years
Haley got 3 years
Crennel only got 1, but there were airplanes dragging fan petitions and fan-organized "black outs" at the games and the team went 2-14.

Again, I think you are kidding yourself if you think Reid is going anywhere anytime soon.

This year and next will be awful.

The 4th year they will go 8-8 and Reid will get a contract extension.

Fortunately by then Alex will be getting ready to retire and they will be forced to draft his replacement.

RIGHT? RIGHT!?

Direckshun
09-18-2014, 01:40 AM
I'm thinking if we get two years in a row of what I expect this season is going to be, we're going to have a new HC and GM. And, yes, a new QB.

In my heart of hearts, I know we're getting a full four years, though. The Chiefs will be just competent enough in 2015 to earn something like a 9-7 record and miss the playoffs, "earning" Reid/Dorsey/Alex Smith another year.

el borracho
09-18-2014, 01:43 AM
Probably depends on the definition of awful. Will Reid be 19-29 awful or will Reid be 25-23 awful?

The one positive is the history of developing QBs. Maybe Dorsey and Reid can trade some QBs to other teams for a change and maybe even develop a QBOTF for the Chiefs.

Direckshun
09-18-2014, 01:53 AM
No one is trading for Daniel or Bray unless it's going to be something like a 6th or 7th rounder.

I think Reid is always interested in groom QBs. He wanted Manziel, after all.

el borracho
09-18-2014, 01:58 AM
Probably not Daniel but it could be Bray. Alex will get hurt and someone will get some playing time in the next 2-3 years. Maybe they will look convincing enough to receive a trade offer.

RealSNR
09-18-2014, 07:16 AM
No one is trading for Daniel or Bray unless it's going to be something like a 6th or 7th rounder.

Fucking do it.

Rausch
09-18-2014, 07:18 AM
**** me. For some reason I thought we had Hudson for the next year as well...

Rausch
09-18-2014, 07:20 AM

Fortunately by then Alex will be getting ready to retire and they will be forced to draft his replacement.

RIGHT? RIGHT!?

If Dorsey is here for 3 years we won't go 8-8...

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-18-2014, 08:10 AM
We're walking into next offseason with approximately $5 million dollars right now.

Per overthecap.com:

If we cut Hali, we save 9m.

Charles, 6.7m

Sean Smith, 5.5m.

DJ, 5.25. ($0 dead money if we were to cut DJ -- keep your eyes here for a surprise cut.)

Bowe, 5m.

DeVito, 4m.

Daniel, 3.8m.

Avery, 3.5m.

Mays, 3m.

Fasano, 2m (+2m in dead money).

Alex Smith, 1.2m ($14m in dead money).

Keep in mind, this offseason, we're going to need to sign Houston. We're also probably going to try to sign Hudson. I'm guessing at this point that we let Allen Bailey walk. No other departing free agents will cost much of anything.

I think we end up cutting at least three of the more obvious players here (Hali and Sean Smith are obvious, along with possibly DJ and Fasano). That'll be enough to ink Houston and maybe Hudson. Everybody else walks, and we likely have zero activity in free agency for another year.

DJ, Daniel, Mays, Fasano, Avery, and DeVito would all be logical cuts given their salaries, production, and/or injury status.

The final five are just atrocious contracts.

BossChief
09-18-2014, 08:33 AM
If they cut Hali before the JAGs we have on this roster that are just eating up space, I'll be pissed.

Fasano
Devito
Daniel
Mays
Colquitt (not a JAG, but his contract is absurd)

Hali is the heart and soul of the defense

Buns
09-18-2014, 08:39 AM
I think Hali restructures or takes a pay cut or whatever and retires a Chief. Just a gut feeling.

Buehler445
09-18-2014, 08:46 AM
Fucking do it.

This. Right after the Chargers game I posted that we needed to trade Daniel for whatever. And I was met with "NOOOOOOO" and "How could you trade away a decent backup QB?" and "Are you on drugs? Do you not remember Tyler Palko?"

$3M is stupid.

I think Hali restructures or takes a pay cut or whatever and retires a Chief. Just a gut feeling.

That would be great.

DeVito and probably DJ unless he restructures to next to nothing are probably out. Fasano needs cut now. Just out of principle. What a bum. I was excited when we signed him. All I could remember is his ass embarrassing us when we went to Miami. Fuck.

Buehler445
09-18-2014, 08:48 AM
And I don't hate Sean Smith. Yeah, he's overpaid but we had a whole cupboard of not a damn thing. We were fucking desperate, and he's been better than that motherfucking cocksucking son of a fucking bitch Pioli's overpaid solution to losing Brandon Carr, Stanford Routt. Fuck that guy was terrible.

Fuck Pioli.

jkw87
09-18-2014, 08:49 AM
I think this just highlights Clark's inability of hiring quality coaches and/or GMs. I was excited with the hiring of Dorsey, but I've lost a lot of faith Davis could be decent, and Kelce looks promising. Fisher is Fisher and the pick will never be warranted. I always hope for the best, but he'll never be good enough for a 1.1 pick.

The thing I don't like, though... Is Dorsey's shitty contracts. Colquitt, Smith and on and on. And I may also be one of the few that don't think Houston deserves a huge contract. He's irreplaceable due to his decent coverage and run game skills, but I think he disappears on plays a lot. That may just be me, though

Chiefnj2
09-18-2014, 09:01 AM
I don't think cutting Hali is obvious. He is still one of the best players on team. Restructure.

LiL stumppy
09-18-2014, 10:11 AM
I'm pretty sure they can walk away from Alex Smith this year if they are so inclined. The dead money will hurt, but if Andy Reid gets fired, it's as doable as it's going to be for a couple of years.

Charles deal is strange... it's an extension, but cutting him saves over $6m, and doesn't even give us $2m in dead money.

Andy Reid is not getting fired.

The Franchise
09-18-2014, 10:12 AM
I don't think cutting Hali is obvious. He is still one of the best players on team. Restructure.

And fuck our salary cap later on? No thanks.

Kman34
09-18-2014, 10:25 AM

RIGHT? RIGHT!?

Dude...I respect you because you have like a million posts..But your football takes suck... Did the Chiefs gang rape you in Arrowhead parking lot?
I enjoy you Gay Day posts more......:)

Steron
09-18-2014, 11:54 AM

Ya. I think this is the case as well.

Buehler445
09-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Dude...I respect you because you have like a million posts..But your football takes suck... Did the Chiefs gang rape you in Arrowhead parking lot?
I enjoy you Gay Day posts more......:)

He was full on homer for a good long time. I think he got jaded. Still not objective, but switched his tune.

Titty Meat
09-18-2014, 12:21 PM
What would it cost to service you Direckshun?

BigRichard
09-18-2014, 12:52 PM
How much dead money to cut Bowe?

Sandy Vagina
09-18-2014, 01:09 PM
How much dead money to cut Bowe?

If spotrac has it accurately revised, the Chiefs would have 9 mil in dead money BUT would actually save 5 mil towards the cap space.. since his cap hit for 2015 is 14 mil.

jkw87
09-18-2014, 01:14 PM
So how exactly does dead money factor into the cap? Is it just subtracted off the top and that's it? Or is there some bullshit confusing scenario that's hard to understand?

aturnis
09-18-2014, 07:37 PM
Restructure Hali

Cut:

Sean Smith
Daniel
Avery
Mays
Fasano

This number doesn't include or rollover from this season does it?

Wallcrawler
09-18-2014, 08:04 PM
After this season, the entire organization is going to need a serious purging.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-18-2014, 08:29 PM

RIGHT? RIGHT!?

LMAO

I remember the "hope stage" of Chiefs fandom, my little boo.