PDA

View Full Version : Football Devin Hester belongs in the hall of fame.

Demonpenz
09-18-2014, 09:58 PM
awesome

L.A. Chieffan
09-18-2014, 09:59 PM
Agreed

KCrockaholic
09-18-2014, 10:00 PM
He's the best ever at what he does.

Al Bundy
09-18-2014, 10:00 PM
Yep.

kcxiv
09-18-2014, 10:13 PM
Hard to argue. He's a HUGE HUGE difference maker.

rico
09-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Yes.

Dylan
09-18-2014, 10:15 PM
Congratulations, Devin Hester
<iframe src="http://gfycat.com/ifr/IncompleteDenseIchthyostega" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" width="480" height="270" style="-webkit-backface-visibility: hidden;-webkit-transform: scale(1);" ></iframe>

Devin Hester now stands alone on the top of the return touchdown record list,
surpassing the legendary Deion Sanders.

Rain Man
09-18-2014, 10:26 PM
20 return touchdowns is pretty spectacular, especially since none of them were on defense. They're all kickoff returns, punt returns, or in one case, a field goal return. Deion Sanders had 19 return touchdowns, but ten of them were interception or fumble returns on defense.

What makes a guy that good at kick returns? What's different about Devin Hester compared to a run of the mill returner?

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-18-2014, 10:28 PM
20 return touchdowns is pretty spectacular, especially since none of them were on defense. They're all kickoff returns, punt returns, or in one case, a field goal return. Deion Sanders had 19 return touchdowns, but ten of them were interception or fumble returns on defense.

What makes a guy that good at kick returns? What's different about Devin Hester compared to a run of the mill returner?

Mix tremendous ability with the Bears mid-late 2000s return units, which were otherworldly.

Why Not?
09-18-2014, 10:35 PM
Is there a debate about this? Kinda stating the obvious.

Rain Man
09-18-2014, 10:38 PM
Mix tremendous ability with the Bears mid-late 2000s return units, which were otherworldly.

Hence my question. The returns I've seen of his are very impressive, but they're not topsy-turvy things like some of Dante Hall's returns. I think he was blessed with great special teams blocking in Chicago, but it has to be more than just that.

It seems like he's got a great first step and good high-end speed, but I wonder if the real difference is some sort of uncanny ability to see lanes open up. His cuts en route don't seem to be extreme, so it seems like he's seeing the lanes earlier than other returners do.

'Hamas' Jenkins
09-18-2014, 10:46 PM
Hence my question. The returns I've seen of his are very impressive, but they're not topsy-turvy things like some of Dante Hall's returns. I think he was blessed with great special teams blocking in Chicago, but it has to be more than just that.

It seems like he's got a great first step and good high-end speed, but I wonder if the real difference is some sort of uncanny ability to see lanes open up. His cuts en route don't seem to be extreme, so it seems like he's seeing the lanes earlier than other returners do.

Could he be in the top 1% of returners but also have 1% luck? :shrug:

98 SR20
09-18-2014, 10:47 PM
No question about it.

Demonpenz
09-18-2014, 10:53 PM
He has good vision for sure.

listopencil
09-18-2014, 11:12 PM

He has the necessary physical and mental skills, at a very high level. That is unusual.

thabear04
09-18-2014, 11:22 PM
And he was a CB when he got drafted.

cosmo20002
09-18-2014, 11:33 PM

He got the perfect combination of evasive running skills + not good enough skills to be a #1 or #2 or #3 receiver.

The "problem" a lot good returners have is that they are good enough to be a starter at another position and they get yanked from the returner role.

ILChief
09-19-2014, 05:38 AM
No one belongs in the HOF until they put Will Shields in

Red Dawg
09-19-2014, 05:48 AM
Hell no. He has not played enough snaps and should never be considered. What an insult to players that have actually put alot of time in on the field taking punishment. Putting in Guy was a colossal error and now we will hear the stupid Tasker chants and then it will he Adam V. And so on.

They dont deserve it.

Baby Lee
09-19-2014, 05:54 AM

He has the vision, speed and decision making. He doesn't have Dante jukes. He's north south, plots his route before he catches the ball and makes the quickest most efficient shakes he needs. Granted it's the punter, but look at what he did to the punter last night. Maybe a 5 degree veer that you probably didn't even notice until his 3rd stride in.

He's a path optimizer.

Kman34
09-19-2014, 05:58 AM

I think teams block a little harder for a good return guy if they think he could break one at any time. He has also been mostly injury free for his career.

Red Dawg
09-19-2014, 06:18 AM
And he was a CB when he got drafted.

Exactly my point. He's not an all time great football player.

kcxiv
09-19-2014, 06:22 AM
He changed the way the game went. He's always a threat in the game. He's a fucking game changer. THe best there is to do it. When someone is that damned great, yes, its ok to put them in the hall of fame. The guy thing didnt bother me either, he was the greatest punter who ever lived. I have no problems with that. Everyone knows, thats what he's in for a punter. If a punter cant get into the game, then why even have a punter at all.

Mile High Mania
09-19-2014, 07:12 AM
I think he deserves to be in the Hall of Baddassery for the plays he's made, but if he gets into the HOF, he'll be 60 years old on the senior ballot.

The list of guys waiting to get in (Tim Brown, etc) is quite extensive and it' going to get crazier with each passing year, esp in the stat crazy era we are in. Hester won't get in for a long time, if ever. And, I won't lose sleep over it.

The Franchise
09-19-2014, 08:01 AM
Dude....no one has claimed that he's a first ballot hall of famer. Just that he belongs one day.

Kaepernick
09-19-2014, 10:15 AM
I can't see Hester in the Hall of Fame.

Steve Tasker was the greatest special teams player in history, and if he is not in the Hall of Fame, then Hester isn't going to be.

Brian Mitchell had over 23,000 all-purpose yards including his kick-off and punt returns, including 13 for TDs. He is second only to Jerry Rice for most all-purpose yards in football history. He is not in the Hall of Fame.

Pop Quiz: Who are the only special teams players in the Hall of Fame?

rockymtnchief
09-19-2014, 11:08 AM
Pop Quiz: Who are the only special teams players in the Hall of Fame?

Ex-Montana State University Bobcat field goal kicker, Jan Stenerud and some guy named Ray.

Kaepernick
09-19-2014, 11:13 AM
Ex-Montana State University Bobcat field goal kicker, Jan Stenerud and some guy named Ray.

Bingo! PK's and one of them a Chief.

I had to look it up, I had no clue.

xztop123
09-19-2014, 11:25 AM

I think a lot of it is vision but probably a stranger one is leg flexibility and core flexibility. I've noticed a direct correlation with guys ability to do the Deion Sanders highstep and their playmaking ability. Some guys suck at the high step and they also are bum players. Luckily DeAnthony Thomas has a decent high step

Pasta Little Brioni
09-19-2014, 11:42 AM
Not a hall of famer

Chiefnj2
09-19-2014, 11:47 AM
For some reason overweight, middle-aged sports-writers (aka - voters) seem to think it's easy returning kicks, returning punts, playing special teams, kicking field goals and coffin cornering punts. None of those things matter.