PDA

View Full Version : Football Belichick Pressers and the Ice Pick Method

Amnorix
09-19-2014, 12:10 PM
So everyone outside of New England hates Bill Belichick. I get it. He's a really sore loser and can be a complete dick to reporters sometimes, particularly after losing a game. Spygate, charismatic as a rock, blah, blah, blah.

But nobody can argue that the guy doesn't know more about football, and NFL history, than darn near anybody walking and talking today. He's the longest tenured coach in the NFL (this year marks his 40th consecutive year coaching). And lately his press conferences have been very "chatty". Lots of information about changes in the game and coaching over the years. So remember, the next time you see him act like a dick to some idiotic reporter's question after he loses a game, that it isn't always like that.

And with that, here's a summary of a very interesting presser he had today.

http://www.csnne.com/blog/patriots-talk/belichick-totally-overwhelmed-new-coaching-technology

Particularly interesting was how teams used to analyze what opponents did, before the advent of modern technology.

"I'm overwhelmed," he admitted. "I'm totally overwhelmed by it. There's no way I could, without somebody holding my hand and helping me through it, there's no way I'd get a fraction of what I would get. When we were with the Colts...What I did with the Colts, I wrote every play on a card. I drew the card, drew the play, and then every category that the play fit into, I checked off on the outside edge of the card. So if it was first-and-10, plus-territory, gain of over four yards, screen pass, half back was the receiver, the defense ran a blitz, whatever categories that those fit into, then I would check those off. I'd take the hole puncher. There was like 200 holes around the edge of the card and I would punch out the holes that I'd checked off. Then you'd have a whole stack of cards here, slide the ice pick in there for third down and boom, all the third down cards drop out. Then you take all those cards, look at them and then you put them all back and put the whole deck of cards back together, stick the ice pick in there and all the screens fall out. Here's 15 screens. You look at them, how many were strong, hoe many were weak, how many were to the half back, how many were play action, how many were third down, how many were second down? Figure all that out. OK stuck 'em back in there again. I would do like, you know, 200 of those. Screens, third down, red area, goal line, short yardage, what they ran against blitzes, what they ran from slot, what they ran from motion. All of that.

"That's, I mean, about as archaic as you can get: the ice-pick method. But it worked."

Discuss Thrower
09-19-2014, 12:13 PM
I'd pay money to Belichick if he would teach me how to analyze the game.

alpha_omega
09-19-2014, 12:14 PM
So everyone outside of New England hates Bill Belichick.....

Not everyone. I personally like the way he handles the media.

Bob Dole
09-19-2014, 12:15 PM
Why an ice pick? There was an actual tool for card sorts...

Amnorix
09-19-2014, 12:16 PM

Agreed. I would also pay for him to just spend 6 hours (3 on either side of a lunch) running through film and showing us great players doing great things.

He did that once for the Patriots media. It was a Friday late in the season or whatever, and instead of a regular press conference, he had them come down to the "film room" and he basically just went through some film on some old Giants, showing LT being awesome (in ways that weren't necessarily obvious to any idiot watching on TV), and Montana being awesome. I remember one play he showed -- the Giants got a guy with a FREE RUN at Montana -- no blocker, and the guy still got the ball out and completed the pass, and Belichick was like "no blocker. Our guy was on him in like 1.5 seconds. What do you do with a QB who can do that?!?"

That would be really, REALLY cool.

Pasta Little Brioni
09-19-2014, 12:17 PM

He would call u a coward and tell u to pass off

Demonpenz
09-19-2014, 12:18 PM
Belecheck then went on to say "Then Tom Brady came up to me and said LOL this ice pick shit is for retards...I got this shit" and the rest is history.

Amnorix
09-19-2014, 12:19 PM
Not everyone. I personally like the way he handles the media.

I actually have no problem with any of it either. The media doesn't help him win games, so I don't give a damn if he annoys them. Too many media members act like THEY are important. THEY are working for the FANS!! THEY are a critical bridge between the team and the fans WHO PAY ALL THE MONEY!!

IT'S SELF-SERVING FUCKING BULLSHIT. I watched the Patriots SUCK for 25 years. I wouldn't give up winning one damn game for the media to get their access. I just want to win, win and win some more. The media doesn't help the team win, so I dont' give a damn about what they do or don't get.

Feed me my tiny crumbs of information and then KICK ASS ON SUNDAY. It's good. Dick McPherson was a great guy, but god help me watch another Patriots game coached by him or anyone like him.

LoneWolf
09-19-2014, 12:27 PM
Your thread title should have been Belichick Pressers and the Tom Brady Method. Without Brady, Belichick is a thinner white version of Romeo Crennel.

Kman34
09-19-2014, 12:27 PM
I'd pay money to Belichick if he would stick that ice pick in his ear.

FYP

Amnorix
09-19-2014, 12:32 PM
Apparently the Redskins, during the Joe Gibbs era, really ran three running plays, basically. But they ran them out of a million formations and personnel groups, and disguised them very well, so it was hard to realize which one it was until it was too late.

Three Super Bowls largely with power running teams. THREE types of runs, basically.

Today's presser. Starts off boring as heck. By 3 or so minutes in the history starts getting discussed, and the challenges of coaching.

http://www.patriots.com/media-center/videos/Belichick-919-Everybody-is-excited-for-Sunday/e98cda40-c571-41e7-8e2f-460e29d45bee

Amnorix
09-19-2014, 12:35 PM
Your thread title should have been Belichick Pressers and the Tom Brady Method. Without Brady, Belichick is a thinner white version of Romeo Crennel.

It makes me laugh. Which great coach, exactly, didn't have great, great players? Which other great coach has had sustained success in the free agency era?

Gibbs did it with 3 different QBs, which is ridiculous, but it was pre free agency, and he had some consistent greats at other positions.

No coach can win consistently without great players. NO coach.

Sweet Daddy Hate
09-19-2014, 12:40 PM
God I wish Brady and Manning would just fucking retire already.

Jimmya
09-19-2014, 12:44 PM
Successful coaches can win at different programs. Parcells, Holmgren, Gibbs (3 different QB's), Peter Carroll. Belichick with Brady / Brady without Belichick...we really don't know how it would have turned out.

Amnorix
09-19-2014, 12:52 PM
Successful coaches can win at different programs. Parcells, Holmgren, Gibbs (3 different QB's), Peter Carroll. Belichick with Brady / Brady without Belichick...we really don't know how it would have turned out.

Parcells turned multiple programs around, but with each stop was less successful.

Gibbs had three QBs, but the Hogs were the Hogs, and Monk was Monk, and a number of other players were there for multiple SBs.

Pete Carroll? He failed at the Jets, and went 10-6, 9-7, and then 8-8 with the Pats before being fired. I actually never blamed him for that. His GM, Bobby Grier, was absolutely atrocious. Three of the worst drafts you will ever see during those years, and undermining Carroll's authority. But he doesn't make the list for succeeding with multiple teams in the NFL.

Belichick won two SBs as the DC of the Giants, where he had near complete autonomy to run the defense, which was the backbone of those championship teams. He then got the hapless Browns to the playoffs, and won (beating Parcells), before having a down year, and then the "moving to Baltimore" year. He has then run the most consistently successful program in the free agency era, and has just reached 200 wins, only the fifth coach in NFL history to do it.

Alot of the credit for that goes to Brady. Of course. But he's continued to succeed while the entire program, other than Brady, turned over.

Amnorix
09-19-2014, 12:53 PM
urk, I'll stop now. I didn't mean to turn this into a debate about Belichick. He's obviously going into the HoF in the first year of his eligibility. Haters gonna hate, but whatever.

Rain Man
09-19-2014, 12:56 PM

He was with the Colts in 1975. My guess is that he needed something to protect himself against Mike "Mad Dog" Curtis.

Jimmya
09-19-2014, 12:58 PM
Its not about hate....i don't like Pete Carroll but facts are he wins with different teams and at different levels....Belichick and Brady are tied at the hip...Just like Chuck Knoll & Terry Bradshaw

Halfcan
09-19-2014, 01:16 PM

Bill is in Mafia- they always use ice picks-they are problem solvers.